Speaker 1: I remember a family living in my electorate. The mum had a gambling addiction and she'd been gambling all of the housekeeping money, unbeknown to her partner and little kids. And by the time I heard the story the electricity had been cut off. She'd run up an electricity bill of five thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: For more than a decade, Independent MP Andrew Wilkie has been talking about gambling addiction.
Speaker 1: The electricity company had given a three different opportunities to stick to a repayment plan, and ultimately the company said no more, that's it and cut the power off.
Speaker 2: His advocacy means he's become a lightning rod for people to share stories like this one.
Speaker 1: So when I met that family, there was mum, dad and two little children living in a house in winter in Hobart, no lights, no stove, no hot order, no heating. That's just one of thousands of stories I could recount.
Speaker 2: Now, as the government passes legislation aimed at reducing gambling hums, Wilkie is among an angry group of dissenters who say the bill is a national shame. I'm Ruby Jones and you're listening to seven AM today Andrew Wilke on the gaps in the government's gambling legislation and why he's referred it to the Anti Corruption Commission. It's Saturday, August twenty two. Andrew. Let's talk about the legislation the government passed after coming to an agreement with the coalition. One of the major concessions from Labor was a single service opt out register for people who don't want to be served gambling ads across different platforms. What do we know about how that will work?
Speaker 1: Well, we know very little other than that there will be a one stop shop where I see people can go to it opt out, and that instruction to opt out then is shared across all platforms. That's what I understand it to me, rather than me having to go to a dozen different platforms and opt out on everyone. If that's the government's intention, I think it is, that will be helpful. I'll give the government some credit. They have done more than any previous government. The question is are they doing enough? And that's an emphatic no. I remind listeners that this whole thing started over three years ago when a parliamentary report was produced into gambling harm in Australia. It was chaired by the late Peter Murphy. Hence it's called the Murphy Report. That report contains thirty one recommendations. It was, without a doubt, the best inquiry, best parliamentary inquiry this country has ever soon into gambling harm and what to do about it. But here we are, over three years later. The government has finally reacted to it with its legislation and what is going through the parliament addresses in part three of the thirty one recommendations in the Murphy Report.
Speaker 2: Right, can you get detail that for me a little more? Where the gaps in the legislation compared to what was recommended in Peter Murphy's report.
Speaker 1: All the thirty one recommendations, I'll single out three that I'll call it the flagship recommendations. These were the three big ones, right. One was that there be a phase out of gambling advertising, so after several years there would be a full ban, a full ban on gambling ads across all platforms, a free to wear streaming. Secondly, that there would be a complete ban on inducements. So inducements are things like giving someone some free credit. You know, I'll give you, We'll give you a hundred dollars credit if you side up or if you stick with us when you might be considering in closing your account. And the third thing was going to be an independent national gambling regulator because at the moment, all of the well almost all of the online gambling companies are regulated by the Northern Territory government through their part time and completely ineffective gambling regulator. So that were the three big recommendations. A full gambling ban, a complete ban on inducements, in the establishment of a national gambling regulator. The government's reforms do not address any of those in any way. They would say that, you know, they've got some changes around the margins with advertising, some changes around the margins with inducements, and they're prepared to trust the regulator in the Territory. But that's just nonsense. There's lots of little things they're doing that they really are tinkering around the edges.
Speaker 3: I've said before and some have been critical of it, but I stand by my view that there is nothing wrong with someone having a punt on a Saturday in the pub. What there is something wrong with is if people are addicted to anything.
Speaker 2: The Prime Minister has said that something is better than nothing and that he doesn't want Australia to be a nanny state stopping people from having a punt on the weekend. What do you make of that argument?
Speaker 1: The Prime Minister. But by the way, I quite like Albow. I think he's all right, except in this regard. I think he's hopeless. This talk about nanny state. I mean he's accused the Crossfitch in recent weeks of wanting to ban gambling. I mean, heaven no one's trying to ban gambling. Where does pushing for effective harm minimization measures. So there's this talk about the nanny state. You know, it's it's really trying to distract people. You know, hey, look over here or look over there. Interestingly, a number of us voted against the bill in the House of Representatives, which raised a few eyebrows. In fact, most of the Crossbench and two of the Opposition members, to their credit, voted against the bill for a range of reasons. But my reasoning was, if this bill becomes law, it will allow this government and future governments, whether they Labor or coalition, to say the job is done. Then I think that will be the end of reform for the foreseeable future. The government claims this legislation is just a stepping stone to further reform. But I don't believe them. You know they're going to They're going to say, you know, these are the most significant reforms in Australia's history. We're the government of fabulous people. We're letting you punt, but we're also protecting people, partly particularly need kids. And I don't think we'll see further before. Hence me, my cross Beach colleagues to keep chicking away on this one.
Speaker 2: Still to come. Has the gambling lobby had a hand in the government's bill, Andrew, I know you wrote to the National Anti Corruption Commission last week with concerns about improper influence on the government by individuals in the gambling industry. Tell me what exactly you're saying happened here.
Speaker 1: Look, I'm the first to acknowledge that governments have a right to accept donations, they have a right to be lobbied. Lobbyists have a right to lobby the government, and governments have every right to make their own policy decisions and bring legislation to the Parliament. My concern is, though there must be a point at which that patronage crosses a lot. It and becomes improper conduct. And that's the essence of my concern here and why I've referred individuals in the government and also in the gambling industry. I've referred them not by name, that's for the aed Coruption Commission to work out, but I've referred them generally to the commission because because I think they have crossed the line that people in the individuals in the private sector, through donations, gifts, hospitality, personal relationships, that they have improperly influenced individuals in the government, and those individuals have in fact abused their office by buckling to that influence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and tell me a little more what you mean by that, by the line that's been crossed. I mean, what is that line to you? And why do you think that it's been walked over?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, I think the gambling gambling issue is really interesting and it might be unique in that there is so much research steering a government towards a certain policy position. There is so much public pressure pushing a government to a certain position. You know, the public interest is so clearly served by the government adopting a certain position.
Speaker 4: The Albanezi government has failed Australians when it comes to banning gambling advertising. A thousand days ago, you were given the blueprint a multi.
Speaker 1: Will the government ban be true to the Murphy Report and ban all inducements in gambling and gambling advertising to protect us straining. The question will be whether the Prime Minister and Angus Taylor.
Speaker 2: Have the courage to do the right thing here man up.
Speaker 1: And then for the government in this case to go completely in the opposite direction. I think that has crossed the line. I can't think of any other issue in the sixteen years of it in Parliament where that research, the public interest in public opinion is so overwhelmingly, so strongly in one direction, and the government has so completely and utterly ignored it. It is just so it odds. I think a line has been crossed. And when you consider what we do know about patronage, we know that over four years, the gambling industry has donated about five million dollars to the Labor Party. Over that same period, the gambling industry has donated about four and a half million dollars to the coalition parties. You can't tell me that when an industry donates almost ten million dollars, you can't tell me that's supporting someone that's buying someone. No one hands over that enormous amount of money without expecting a return on that investment.
Speaker 3: Will continue to promote the legislation is before the Parliament today hasn't been influenced from certainly my position has not been influenced in the way that as suggested. I'm sure of all of the members on this side, and don't.
Speaker 1: You said that.
Speaker 2: Plenty of people have told you that the Knack won't investigate, and I think part of that is around I mean, we know that the Knack can't investigate the quote unquote government. It needs a specific remit, it needs individual politicians or staff to look into as part of a referral. So what is it that you're actually asking the Knack to look into.
Speaker 1: Well, I am asking them to investigate whether individuals in the private sector have unduly influenced individuals in the government, and whether those individuals in the government have in fact abused their office. I say individuals, because you've made the point already, Reuby, that that can't investigate a government, it can investigate individuals. That's why I've worded my referral in the way done. I think I think the people who looked at me and said, I mate, you're very very optimistic here. You're dreaming that that reflects this, this mindset that this is okay, that the government ultimately could do whatever it wants, this mindset that so long as donations are declared, so long as hospitality is declared, it's okay. And I say, it's only okay to a point.
Speaker 2: And in amongst all of the politics and the policy, it can be easy to lose sight of the human impact of all of this. We heard from former role player Luke Bateman earlier this month about his experience.
Speaker 5: I was stealing money from my own mother to fund my gamming addiction, and that would be because I would lose. I would have no money, and then I would be offered an inducement and I'd say, oh, well, I need to I need to get some money because I've got a thousand dollars worth of bonus BET's waiting for me. And then I would steal money from home.
Speaker 2: What did you think of his testimony.
Speaker 1: I thought it was compelled and it was a shame that some political operatives did their best to discredit him afterwards. I thought that was very compelling and what I liked about his testimony is he brought us back to the human face of this.
Speaker 5: They're zero welfare checks done whatsoever. And in the opposite, not only do they not check on welfare, they encourage you to lose more when they can clearly see that your betting activity is incredibly harmful instructive.
Speaker 1: Too much of this issue became a political debate. It was all about numbers and stats and whether it be the amount of money donated to political parties or the number of estimated number of people with gave the addictions. So I certainly did my best to try and bring it back to the human side of this. I spoke you to countless people either who have an addiction or recovered from an addiction, or their mumbers, or their dads, or their brothers, or the sisters, sons or their daughters that were colleague, their friends. I've spoken to so many people, and I've heard so many stories, and every one of those stories is an intensely human story. And of course the most tragic part of the human side of this is the suicides. The research has tell me that at least four hundred Australians are suiciding every year on account of the gambling addiction, which means in the three years since the Murphy Report was handed to the government, over a thousand Australians have suicided. And by the way, gamblers had lost in Australia, not gambled, but lost over one hundred billion dollars since that report was handed to the government. Research out of Victoria several years ago found that gambling addiction is the second most prevalent cause of crime in that state after drug addiction. So then you've got all the victims of crime who have had money sold them from them, Ruby, I could go on longer than this, longer than all the podcasts you'll do on the rest of your life. I record just telling you the stories. So when I criticize the government with the sport of the opposition, so how they've dealt with gambling reform, one of the things I single out is their lack of humanity, because if you care about humanity, you wouldn't stop at what went through the house to representatives.
Speaker 2: Well, Andrew, thank you so much for speaking with me.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Ruby, it's a pleasure.
Speaker 2: And if this story has raised any issues for you, help is available through Lifeline. On thirteen eleven, fourteen.
Speaker 6: Seven Am was a daily show from Solstice Media. It's made by Anigus Bastow, Chris Dane Gate, Crystal Color, Renei Auckland, Ruby Jones, Travis Evans, Zoltenfe Jr. And me Daniel James. Our theme music is by Ned Beckley and Josh Hogan of Envelope Porteo. And if you'd like to support seven Am in bringing you the news independently and without fear or favor, please follow the show on your chosen podcast platform and on our social media accounts on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and LinkedIn. Have a great weekend.