Speaker 1: Welcome to the Mentor and Mark Borris Warren was Burns and James Jimmy Bradley, co founders and directors of let's just call the co founders of Liquid and lard Up. Welcome to the Mentor. Guys. Thanks for having your brothers.
Speaker 2: We just kind of look alike, brother stress maker.
Speaker 1: You both got a little bit of growth and on the around the.
Speaker 2: Chin and the guts.
Speaker 1: Now the guts inne me all right. Not bad for being in the hospitality industry, you know, I don't know like that. But no reason I will ask you your brothers because you've been I was written the brief. You've been together for a bloody long time. Your brothers from another mothers, other mothers or whatever the word is.
Speaker 2: You know, we've been best mate since we were twelve.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's been a long time. Yeah, twelve. So that's like Jay Grad and rugby league terms, so from Sydney or Melbourne away from year seven that's Jay Grade. It used to be Joy Great. I don't know that all these days or your days. In my days it was Joe Grade in footy and Jay Gray. Then twelve year old kids were in year six six, class fifteen fifteen six class. I remember I was. I was in year seven O twol that's right, and but it was a weight division so you had to pay play, believe it or not. Year under twelve was Joe Gray was six stone. So I'm talking. I don't know that what that is in kilograms? It was under you had to be under six stone. Man, I'm just date myself and actually in a conversation Ray League, yeah it does it does I know, because you just reminded me of a period in my life. Actually it was actually really good period. So co founders and directed, but let's leave directors. We don't care about that. Co founders of Liquid and it was Liquid and larder. Who's going to who's going to give me the kickoff?
Speaker 2: I guess it is a food and bever Bridge experience orientated hospitality company. So Liquid been booze and larder where you keep your food lader.
Speaker 1: That's it. That's the old that's the old Irish Scottish way of the place of the house where it's a pantry, what we call pantry in Australia.
Speaker 2: We originally were called eight as in the number or numeral eight because we grew up eight k's from each other. But we were honestly sick of trying to explain the email signature. It's Jimmy at eight Hospitality. Yes, eight like the number, so we said let's change it to something more simple, and we got it wrong a second time. So we're constantly having to explain sands acause.
Speaker 1: A lot of peple wouldn't even know what a larder man. No, yeah, I only you know how I first time I found out with the word lader mint is I had an Irish girlfriend from Ireland and she kept calling the pantry the larder and she said, we going And that's the only time I've never heard of the word before lader And but it's basically where you coop you were small goods and the fridge north of the bridge, not the bridge, the fridge. It's not called the fridge. Yeah, yeah, totally. And like like you know, in the old country where my mammy comes from, they'd be hanging up salamis and all sorts of stuff in there. Yeah right, Well, twelve year old buddies, what school did you go to? Where'd you come from?
Speaker 2: I grew up in the Hills area out near Cassa Hill, I grew up in Glenory was dural. We met at Hills Grammar which was one of the local schools out there, and then we kind of split in what year ten College Rugby.
Speaker 1: Oh well, ok Hill which did us out And that was a school my mother used to threaten me to go to because it was those days when I was around. Was a boarding school and Mama used to threaten me to go there if I didn't stop getting in trouble. Did it work? Yeah, bloody earth, I didn't. I well worked in that I didn't end up going there, but I still manage to get myself in trouble, but not as much, not as much because that was when the naughty boys in the d LSL system went you. You were sent to oak Kill and you went it was boarding too. Not many people into boarding schools out in the west, and that was a boys school when you went there. It wasn't.
Speaker 3: It was coed eleven, ten and twelve. Yeah sorry sorry eleven and twelve, but it was single sex up to your ten.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wasn't. No boarders and still run by the brothers.
Speaker 3: Still run the brothers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, brother m Bros. Was okay, cool. We just played footy out there. They were always pretty good at foot because the US to have a lot of country kids because it was a boarding school. He's a lot of country kids. I used to go and we used to have a big rugby league tournament there. I didn't realize they payed rugby uniit, but they've stepped up in the world. But we footy out there. So you're an o'kill boy. And so where was you again, Hill's grabber. Well, that sounds fancy.
Speaker 2: Well, it wasn't anything to do with rugby, rugby league, rugby union. It was pretty non sporting, to be honest. Unfortunately it's probably I think it's only forty years old, so it's not an old school.
Speaker 1: It's how old are you? Two guys? By the way, forty four in your forties see the same age as my oldest son. Wow, amaze me feel from where as you grew up? Punchbowl. Yeah, so I went to school in the Kember. Okay, cool, But you know a lot of kids from my school actually sent out Oakhill because we're mucking around. If you got to expel from our school, that's we end up out at Oakhill. It was and for me then it was like a million miles away. It was like a massive track to get there from punch Bowl, Like I grew up there for the massive track to get out there. So when you were twelve years of age best mates at school, did you start at any stage talk about what you're going to do post school?
Speaker 3: It was actually quite strange. We went in different directions. I went to school love love sport, didn't love the academic side too much. So as soon as I left school there was no way I was going to go to UNI. So went often did a retail management course actually through through wool Worse, which was horrible.
Speaker 1: To be honest.
Speaker 3: Taught me a lot of things, but it was pretty boring.
Speaker 1: We do like War Worst, not because Wars is horrible. I mean they've probably got a few sins to answer about, but as do Coles, and as do all the rest of them, so they're all going to do the same thing. But it taught me a lot, It just wasn't what to teach it.
Speaker 3: It taught me the fundamentals of how to engage with customers, how to do conflict resolution with guests, you know, that was the biggest, and also dealing with staff, so how to manage.
Speaker 1: Other people, how to work with other people. I was young.
Speaker 3: I was eighteen nineteen years old, and I was managing you know, thirty forty year old men. Wow, which was challenging. How did you do that as a young with great difficulty stuff?
Speaker 1: What would you do?
Speaker 4: Much?
Speaker 3: Pretty much?
Speaker 1: So that taught me a lot.
Speaker 3: It taught me how to, I guess, seek to understand first, and then you can kind of understand what they're going through or what the position is, and you can kind.
Speaker 1: Of, I guess, adapt what you want to try to say.
Speaker 3: To them, so I understand what you're saying, but also understand how it's coming across from Was that.
Speaker 1: Actual role like a conflict resolution role? I though? Was it like a part of a HR role.
Speaker 3: We sort of got moved around from department to department. I think in every one of those departments there was that engagement with other staff. I think it's a tool that they try to sort of, you know, push you into a little bit so you can kind of you need to make that to be successful. The worse, it needs better to do the people think the people stuff right. Without that, you're you're not going to be successful. So I think they were measuring me whether I was able to deal with these difficult conversations that we will have to have as senior people in the business.
Speaker 1: That's a pretty mature thing to do though, And yeah, nineteen twenty it was tough, well not not any tough, like challenging, but but mature. It'd be able to work it out. Like I definitely wouldn't have been any good at that age. I just assume walk away or hit someone on the cham in those days, you know, I mean like, you know, like because I didn't get it, Like I probably lacked empathy. But would you say you're an empathetic person. I don't think I was.
Speaker 3: I now have three hundred staff or close three hundred staff who I am in charge of human resources role, I'd say I'm more empathetic now than I was before. I struggle with empathy. It's definitely something that I had to work on, and I'm continually working on that side of management of people because.
Speaker 1: That's the part of the business you run, correct, the let's call it the people and people culture, people and culture. Correct, that's mad so better something you sort of had learned. It wasn't a natural thing.
Speaker 3: Look, I've I think to be strong with the in the people and culture sector of the business. You need to be aware of what's happening around you and constantly looking at the way people are holding themselves, body language, the way they're integrating, the way they're talking. So I think that's a natural thing about me. I have kind of analyzed situations and that makes me stronger at that.
Speaker 1: As in profile, somebody correct.
Speaker 2: And he grew up in a family where you your mum, your sister's, your dad. You all talk a lot, you explain it how you're feeling. It's a communicative, communicative family. So I think you grew up in that environment where it was important to agree with each other. You don't go to bed angry, you communicate at the dinner table. So I think you had that when.
Speaker 1: You were twelve. Did you notice that about his family?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because my family's different, different of the opposite, well, not completely opposite. I'm hoping mum and dad will watch this so I don't have to slag them out too much. Different though, Yeah, Yeah, I guess for me it was seeing this family that was incredibly nurturing and wanted to know how you were going each day, rather than goal orientated or task orientated, like my family was a bit more kind of task orientated, goal orientated. How did you go at school today? What did you achieve today? Rather than are you okay? And how are you feeling?
Speaker 1: So this is a really interesting conversation that especially for your generation, like definitely interesting. For my generation, we would never think that, Like never, I mean, I got four sons, three grandsons. I still don't ask them how they feeling. Probably I should start a gettle bit more of that, And I'm just a little bit of a lesson out of this. It's sort of quite an interesting conversation. Then when I see the two of you talk to each other, well, I haven't seen you talk to each other, but when I think about the two of you talking to each other, it seems like, you know, one is opposite, not opposite, but has maybe different skills to the other one.
Speaker 2: We were growing up still, and we were practicing in the office before we came here, and Dean, one of our colleagues, is like, please tell me the two of young a squabble. You're doing this.
Speaker 1: Dad a little bit, you know, like I'm going to ask it, boozmum. What depends on who?
Speaker 3: Like everyone's different rights on the person, just tells you how it is all the time, Like if I'm upset, I'll tell you which to be a way to leave blows of fuse.
Speaker 1: And just lose it.
Speaker 3: So that's everyone's mom and dad's different, right.
Speaker 5: So it's no as a twelve thirty forty, those sorts of those sort of years in your life, particularly when you're sort of hitting up a bit and you sort of, you know, change a little We all change a little bit at that period.
Speaker 1: Which one of you would have noticed that the that the other one was different to him, Like you obviously knew, you knew his family is from your family, But which one of you actually knew and what period in your life did you say, my god, he's so different to me.
Speaker 2: It ebbed and flowed. So I started at Hills in year six Hills grammar, and I had come from a Rudolph Steiner education. I don't know if you've ever heard of that, So that adjustment was pretty extreme for me. And then Warren started a year later. I had already fully settled and made some friends. I had become popular. I wasn't popular at the previous school, so I had become popular. And then you think you're popular for that year, for year seven, which is yeah, which is where? And was? It wasn't initially And so we kind of bonded initially, and then a year or two later, I wasn't so popular, had some issues at school, and was really looked after me then, so I think we kind of ebbed and flowed in terms of maturity and growth rate and who needed that support and whose feelings needed to be kind of consoled a bit more.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's mad. Did you notice that he needed?
Speaker 3: His legs were smaller than mine. We used to sit in the back of a car and I used to look at his legs on the seat and go, woy woy, your legs so small.
Speaker 1: I didn't know company. But were you much taller than much? I'm a little bit tall.
Speaker 3: He doesn't admit it, but I'm a little bit taller him.
Speaker 1: But but what do you mean him? His legs fall just like on this seat.
Speaker 3: I was just we were STEREO's eggs in the car and the way.
Speaker 2: The holidays going, Why is your legs? So I'm a basketball player. I've got long limbs, but not very stocky or strong. And was it was a rugby player and he had big thick legs.
Speaker 3: That was the first thing I noticed it was different. But apart from that, I think it took us a bit of age to realize that how different we are. I think business really taught us that is.
Speaker 1: But to directed there was But did you see that Jimmy needed a bit of a bit of a hand at one stage at school there Like he's obviously alienated somebody from doing for doing, from doing something. Yeah, I can remember that.
Speaker 3: I've had a few knocks in my days in Rugby, so my younger years are a bit blurry, but I do remember stages where he struggled a little bit with some people. I'm quite of a actually mentioned my parents are quite caring family unit, so I kind of I am a caring soul.
Speaker 1: I guess that's.
Speaker 3: When I see people in need of whatever may be, often sort of there to support and be kind, I guess as much as possible.
Speaker 1: That's really interesting because I know these people exist, but I haven't met too many of them, and I'm not being smart us.
Speaker 4: And of.
Speaker 1: Where they comes from, Like is it a is it a learned behavior or is it Do you think it's a learned behavior?
Speaker 3: It's definitely I think it's genetics, it's how you are.
Speaker 1: I've got two small kids.
Speaker 3: I've got an eight and a six year old, and I can see one of the much more of my I guess it's missus, And.
Speaker 2: You don't think I don't think it's nurture.
Speaker 3: I think nurture has a part of it. But I think you're you're You're born the way you're born, and I think nurturing does either emphasize it or can minimize it, whatever it may be.
Speaker 1: But I think the chorus, the core is I believe you are who you are.
Speaker 3: Both mum and dad the same, Mum more than dad. My parents divorced when they're young, but so I live with my mum and I was sort of I grew up with her a lot more in the house on the day. Today they're both caring parents, absolutely, but Mum was definitely that kind of She's like a middle witch, you know, she's she's got extra senses. She can sort of say, I'm not sure about that guy, which we're talking about, but I'm not sure about you being our friend. She's like, I'm not sure about this guy, and I'd be like, he's fine. And then a couple years later ends up right, and that happens a lot.
Speaker 1: And Jimmy, which like so was it when his direction he went and learned about how to deal with people and did all these different parts of retailing, let's call it with woolies. What did you do? What was different about what your before?
Speaker 2: I just want to touch on when we're twelve, was his mum hesle your lunch.
Speaker 1: He did.
Speaker 2: Actually used to see my T shirts too, And I cheated at school with you as well off me. Sorry he cheated off.
Speaker 1: Me, he looked.
Speaker 2: When we're twelve, that's from his mum said to him. That guy there, he's a keeper, he's amazing so and she turned out to be true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's wrong once.
Speaker 1: It's funny. When I was a kid, we had an ida made a school called white Bed. My best friend at school, Whitey, and all the moments used to love him because we used to go. I had another made padstone mus to go. I remember one time were there and his mom, Pat Bracken's mum was saying that Steve was like an angel. He still is, like he's angelic. He's so nice, you know, And then I heard I was just standing there with a cannabier man and I heard her say, yeah, but Mark, he's got a lot of the devil in him. And I was like, I never forgot that conversation. You just reminded me of it. I just it was something that rang in my ears. At that age. I was only like seventeen, drinking beers. I probably shouldn't have been, but I was. But the reality of the situation is Whitey used to drink more beers than me, smoke more joints than me, and you used to get up to more mischief than me. Like the actual fact I knew I wasn't that bad. And something like that can be quite crushing when you get told that you you know, when you hear a parents say that you were the devil. So I imagine when you find out that his mom said that you're a keeper, that you must have felt somewhat elevated, Like, you know, it's pretty special because his mum's obviously, you know, just jumping. She's up there, up there on the cross of Jesus Christ, Like she sounds pretty cool.
Speaker 2: I think it was uncomfortable at first because my family doesn't openly talk about how you're feeling. So have some strange woman at the time kind of go, you know, how are you precious? And come in and let me feed you and I love you and all I was like, oh, this is quite intense. Was your mum's pretty full on here? He's like, no, it's normal. So it took a bit of while to get used to and then obviously you get used to it and you love it.
Speaker 3: Put it this way, my mum met my wife now for the first time in the car on the way for me to get a shoulder reconstruction, and she asked her to sing to her in the car. That was their first engage with.
Speaker 1: My wife's a test.
Speaker 3: I'm not too sure what it was, but it's pretty awkward for my wife to start seeing she's in the arts, but it was pretty embarrassing. That's sort of that's my mum in a nutshell. She'll try to make you feel as uncomfortable but comfortablet the same time.
Speaker 1: As soon as she meets you, we should have it. Get So what did you do Jimmy after.
Speaker 2: The similar to was I loved sport. I was into basketball growing up and I loved PDHP at school, so I always wanted to kind of pursue that Avenue, Someway, and I had always intended to go to UNI. I was going to go to A and U in Canberra to do sports broadcast journalism. But I made a basketball team that I wanted to stick it through. So I went to Western Sydney and did sports medicine and I fucking ate it. It was just boring. My family had originally grown up in and around the Bankstown area, but now we'd moved over to Glenorya. I was sort of driving over there every day and I didn't enjoy the commute, and I didn't enjoy the university, but I stuck it out. It was a three year course, and then by the end of UNI WAS, I said, I've had enough of retail management. Let's pack our bags and go traveling. And that's kind of wow. We're twenty one. I'd finish UNI WAS there, had three years at working but not enjoying it really, so we kind of packed our bags and off we went.
Speaker 1: Well, that decision just that's a big deal, that decision to leave, in your case, not to start a career and leave finishing off what you just finished off, and you leaving a career.
Speaker 2: It wasn't really a spur of the moment decision though we'd sort of talked about it for a long time and the plan kind of always was that when I finished UNI, let's go and see the world. This was two thousand and one. We'd planned to go to America, and obviously September eleven happened, so we kind of changed our plans. Then we had a third mate that joined us. He was very spur of the moment, but it wasn't like an epiphany, life changing kind of thing.
Speaker 1: It has been planned. So you decided, well, when the opportunity rises, we're going to get When you say spoiler, what what does that mean?
Speaker 2: Like the most scumbag Aussies you stick a backpack on and you go and travel around the world. That was that was about what.
Speaker 1: Was it you're trying to experience? What were you trying to We had no idea. Yeah, but I'm going to do it anyway. We're going to do it. It's just like just curiosity. Let's go travel, right, was you on a passage? We do that? People have done it. We're going to do the same thing. Ye going to get a backpack on and we're going to go somewhere.
Speaker 3: So where'd you go where Japan for On the way to the Youth, I was random, Well, we're supposed to go to the States, as Jimmy said, September eleventh happened, so I had to do a quick last minute divert. So we went to Japan, which is incredible, only there for about three or four weeks.
Speaker 1: But what did you what did you culturally?
Speaker 2: We were supposed to be there for two months. I'd studied Japanese at school and loved the culture from what I knew. But yeah, we got there and we were traveling, and we spent a year's worth of money in two and a half weeks because it was so expensive, and we.
Speaker 1: Drank a lot.
Speaker 2: Twenty one year old kids had no idea about money as well. That was phenomenal.
Speaker 1: Have you been, Yeah, so what did you experience it? Because I'm trying to work out what you've taken back into your business from Japan. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The thing that I remember most. We flew into Tokyo. We got straight on the shin consent and went up to a little town called Tuzzi Waka, which was on the most northern part of the main island, and then we walked through the snow with our backpacks to the youth hostel because we couldn't decipher how to get any other means to the hostel, and we couldn't work out the vending machines, we couldn't speak the language, we had a little phrase book, couldn't order food, and eventually we kind of went down to little cafetier and cafeteria and we're trying to get some food and this woman who was probably seventies or eighties came over and ordered some food for us, and she'd ordered a long Necker beer and she gave us poured out the beer, and she said, I'm just so happy that you are traveling in my country, and I just want to show you some hospitality. And that was probably the first time that that kind of term of hospitality was really shown to us. That it's not about getting someone fed or pissed. It's about welcoming them into your space and giving them an experience. And this woman was just doing it because she was so proud of her country that three random Aussie white dudes were traveling and wanted to see it and she was proud of it.
Speaker 3: And that's Japan, as you know you've been there. That just the hospital. Hospitality in Japan is second to none.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: One of our core values, which I'm sure we'll talk about, is you know, desire to create an experience and that comes from within and you can't teach that.
Speaker 1: It's natural. We have it, you don't have it.
Speaker 3: It's just disingraem with them.
Speaker 1: So when you when you if you think back to that experience, now, what maybe three words or something? What three things? Maybe maybe you say two? But are there three words could describe it? Not a phrase but like I don't want to put words in your mouth, but that moment, if you think back of what did you well?
Speaker 2: It was kind of I felt humbled that somebody was so willing to take time out of her She was traveling herself, she didn't know us, she didn't know us anything. She just wanted to spend time with us for nothing in return. That was the kind of So you were surprised, Yeah, yeah, but I mean I've just felt small and humbled. It is probably the first thing.
Speaker 3: How good is how good is this moment? Do you know mean by that? Like how would you go to a venue or a place you just look at your mate and go how good is this? And it's those moments that it's not just about either the food or drink, it's the whole environment. It's like it's just something it feels right, How good is this? Is just those moments you have which we've tried to replicate in all avenues.
Speaker 1: Because I want to go through the values that you have in your venues at a moment, because because I'm obviously you traveled, you probably experienced similar sort of experience similar events in other places around the world on your travels, and I guess I should before I get to deep into the value part. When did you decide the two of you to go into hospitality?
Speaker 3: Then after this trip, well in this ship, so we actually from Japan went to the UK and we've actually we went through London. We ended up in Edinburgh and that's where we based ourselves in Scotland and Scotland and we weren't get originally work at hospitality at or Jimmy when I worked at a pool because it's sort of aligned with his with his sports, and I wasn't unemployed, and I only wake up to the point where I had to find a job, and I knew someone who was working in a company called Montpelliers, which is a decent hospitality company in Scotland. And I went for a job and then start off as the bottom run glassy, just washing glasses and so forth, and just over the next couple of months just stepped up and stepped up in two rolls and I was coming home five in the morning after having a pretty good night. He'd begin up at five in the morning and he's.
Speaker 2: Like going to the gym to go this This is not right. It wasn't it wasn't right.
Speaker 1: Something's wrong with this party or this picture. So he's like, how do.
Speaker 3: I get a job or you're doing Yeah, at least have a job at the same place.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 3: So he went same company, but different venue, and we just gradually worked our way up and ended up running one of the one of their venues, and he.
Speaker 1: Ran one of the venues in Scotland.
Speaker 3: We were there for four years, ended up running Indigo Yard, which is one of the big venues in Scotland. And after that came home. So hospitality was it was in my blood then half those four you.
Speaker 1: But when you came home, did you just both you guys set up a business together.
Speaker 3: Well, I came home a few years before him. He found his now wife in the UK and moved back to London and did some design stuff. And when I got back to Sydney, the Sydney.
Speaker 1: Hospitality scene was a disgrace.
Speaker 3: We've been in two thousand and four, two thousand and five, right, so you're talking, you know, big establishments, no customer service, just about making the bottom line, making the dollar and removing you what you've had your skin full, whereas we came from the UK with.
Speaker 1: The hospital is part of the culture, right, It's part of the part of the day.
Speaker 3: Today you go to the pub in the afternoon, you have a point with your friends, you know the bartender.
Speaker 1: And it's part of your lifestyle. So I rang had.
Speaker 3: Said, Mane, this is disgrace. Our home is city is just it's not what This as a shock to us. It was a shock to me, and I said, we've got to do something here. We have to do something. We can't just we have to bring what we've learned back into into Sydney and create something special that we can emulate all we've experienced.
Speaker 1: Now you had you have a conversation about email or something on the blowout phone.
Speaker 3: And he always wanted to work next to me because we push each other. So he always wanted to open a restaurant next to me or a bar next to me, so we'd actually push each other to be better. So it's a little bit of convincing there to me say no, we should do it together.
Speaker 2: Not a separate, which was a good decision. Obviously this is now twenty years later, and.
Speaker 1: So do you remember what was your first venue? First thing?
Speaker 3: He was Grandma's. So Grandma's Bar was a tiny little cocktail bar. Was one of the first small bars to open under the new license. So before the small bar legislation came through, you know, you're talking sixty seventy one hundred thousand dollars for a lique license and they dropped it to five hundred bucks. It had to be small and had to sort of only trade it with a certain amount hours. So we were one of those first small bars, and we called it Grandma's Why, well, what's your grandma's house? Like, it's the opposite of what the city hospitality scene was. It's welcoming, it's your home away, it's a highway from home. It's engaging, it's warm, you know, place that you want to be. And we used to just say hello and goodbye to guests when they walked in, and the people woul look at us like are you guys crazy?
Speaker 1: Like low to me?
Speaker 2: So as you walk into it, they see something in this, but honestly look at you like you're a weirdo, and why are you talking to me? I've never met you before.
Speaker 3: And it just took it took off, and people like this, you know, they were busy, and we had lines at the door from five in the afternoon until until ten at night, pretty much six or seven, six days a week. So that was our first and it was small. We had to killed each other because it was like a fifty sixty square meter space. And then we went to open the rover after that.
Speaker 1: And so let's just tell me. And I don't know Grandma's because I'm not really out there, goune of bars, So tell me where Grandma's is.
Speaker 3: Grandma's is now closed. It was on Clarence Street, Clarence. It's closed because the building is being demolished for another building site.
Speaker 1: We had it for twelve years.
Speaker 2: Twenty ten we opened and we left two thirteen, yeah, Augusta.
Speaker 1: And the second one, the Rover's still there.
Speaker 3: SAT's down at Sarry Hills on Campbell Street. It was the Wild Rover and then we've rebranded into the Rover. We kind of opened venues where we are in our lives and it has sort of what is it was important to us at that time we kind of there's that influence behind that each space.
Speaker 1: So what's what what what does the Rover Bar represent to you?
Speaker 3: Well, the Wild Rover when I first opened, was that that was you opened up the Wild rd correct, we opened the World Rover and it was like swashbuckling foot stomping Irish Ginners, you know, that kind of quite loud rip in the kind.
Speaker 2: Of space the venue seem to represent where we are in our life, so Grandma's, we've been traveling. We love that intimate small cocktail scene. We love the interaction with the guests and the banter. Then we did really well out of that. We built it ourselves. We had a little bit of money now in the bank, so then we wanted to kind of show what we could do. So the Rover was a little bit bigger, it was built a little bit better. We actually had someone else build the bar rather than us. It was a little bit flashier. It was a little bit louder, you know, we were a little bit more confident now so and then as we've sort of evolved over the years, we keep adding layers and emotion that kind of suit where we're at in our life. So the Rover we would settle with our partners. We still were kid free, we were mortgage free, living a good life, and we wanted to kind of show that through our venues.
Speaker 1: So you're still in your twenties, we are, No, we're in.
Speaker 2: Our thirty So we opened yeah, no, we opened Grandmas when we were thirty.
Speaker 1: Right when you're thirty. Yeah. So then what happened after the Wild Rover?
Speaker 3: So after over, we decided to open a venue in Boomin called Wilhelmina's. So we sort of wanted to get our way from that.
Speaker 2: Sort of We're now married and I've got a kid on the way, so let's let's go for urbans.
Speaker 1: Pretty, let's go suburban.
Speaker 3: But you kept the River could still still trading today. We've rebranded too. We've lost the world. We can get back to that in a second. But we opened a place called Willeminas and Baomain and we really love that kind of neighborhood.
Speaker 1: Out of the Hassenbus of the city.
Speaker 3: We had it for a few years and we ended up selling it and the main reason for that was I guess our model is as a company for mine James's perspective. You know, we come up with a great concept, is a great concept. We travel, we go overseas, we we really deep dive into that concept and we really try to analyze and nuts out the true authenticity behind it. And then we come back with Sydney to dies it. So we we make that market to what we what we can what we'll work in Sydney because obviously we're an individual market. And then we put all the infrastructure we know, we get the concept of and running. We're in there day and night, one hundred hour weeks, get that concept squeaky clean, and then we start to sort of back out in a way of we get the management team in who's then start to run that so we can then grow the business. But the thing with a local neighborhood venue like Will and Means is the locals want to see the owner, right You want to see the pizza guy who is your mate, Frank, He's making the pizza every day but when we left, they're like always Warren a James squad. We're like, oh, they're on the next day.
Speaker 4: Like make the money correct, Well, no, there was no money, so we have to go back in again because we'd have to go because the business started to drop with a new will admit is but to go back, We'll go back in again.
Speaker 2: When we still had it. So when when was it says we sort of step out. We're not selling it off. It's still ours. We just employ a manager. All of our venues have a management structure under them or sorry, we employ managers to run them and we oversee them. So but when we weren't there, the local customers were like, where's where's Jimy and Wave. We've come to know them. They know what our drink is. The manager doesn't know this they and so they stopped coming.
Speaker 1: So is that a lesson for you there that in terms of building a business or a brand, you've got to it's better to divorce yourself from the brand to make the band or ubiquitous.
Speaker 2: No, not at all, certainly not for us. We've never made we've never tried to make the brand about us personally. We're not we're not the stars of the ship.
Speaker 1: Or a chef. We don't hire celebrity chefs to come in because that's so that is a lesson, So don't make the place attached to you.
Speaker 2: But I guess the lesson for this was for our business model. Subs probably aren't the right location for that type of environment.
Speaker 1: Because in the suburb, the locals are expecting to see someone knows local that is crer joint, which you too. So in other words, a local brand usually requires having a local person it needs, whereas a city brand can have you biquitous, it can be anybody. Because the people go to that venue to go to the venue, they probably go to the local venue to see Yeah.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and that's not what we wanted we want to have.
Speaker 1: It's also restrictive because you can't expand that's not you can't have more mine venue.
Speaker 2: And we learned from Grandma's, which was the same sort of size as your studio, that we can't function with who we are as people in that smaller space. We need more space to roam. We're two confident, arrogant, cocky, stubborn personalities that just were headbutting constantly in that small space.
Speaker 1: I'm going to go the bakin. When I come back from the break, I want to talk about the balance of your venues, but I want to talk to you about your values and what you've learned from traveling, which you learned from experience, experiencing each other's families, and how those things have bled into your business, both at a staff level and probably more importantly, a customer level. So go to the break, comes straight back. I'm back from the break, and I'm here with Warren warser Burns. Actually that's very Scottish name by it is James Jimmy Bradley. Probably not Scottish, but it doesn't matter. Something like that be English or something. And of course you know you're the co founders of Liquid and Larder. But we've just gone through some of your venues, and you've got lots of more venues. So can you just top us off with how many venues you currently have. I know you got one you want to talk about. We'll leave that one aside from the moment a new one, but let's just talk about what your venues are, what venues you guys have established over the years. So we've got we've got the first two Grandma's Grandma's the Rover first first three, I should say, so it went Grandma's was the Wild Rover, now the Rover. We then opened Wilhelmina's in Balmain. There was a period of time where we split the premises in two and had half as Willelmina's, which was a wine bar, and half we split into a new brand called Burgerhood, which was a burger restaurant. Then in twenty eighteen we opened the Stecca, which was kind of our first rocket to success for argument's sake. So that's one in the city there up towards George Street, Bridge Street. Sorry, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's downstairs.
Speaker 3: You get downstairs, correct, only serving one cut of meat they carve it.
Speaker 1: You walk in there and you get in these stairs and there's a bar at the first thing agin and there's there's a bar, but you go outside, so you go inside and there's another area. So I went there with Jeff Anik when a few times, yeah, Jeff Whites are there. Yeah, it's a state joint.
Speaker 2: It is correct.
Speaker 1: That's a bestick of means, I guess, but he likes it and I liked it to I went there, went there for lunch with him something happens, something happened there that I can't remember what it was, but it's some rule you have or so take your phone away. That's right.
Speaker 3: We don't have any phones in both our Dinarostka and our next venue, which Jimmy will explain this bit of it. Don't know any phones in the dining.
Speaker 1: Room anyway, in the dining room. So that's what it was. It was I thought for study that they made me take me shoes off. You were something pretty important.
Speaker 2: It touched on the about the brand, and that is a really good point for us, is our venues and our brand as a company is about experience orientated dining and drinking. It's not just about giving you something to eat or drink, and removing someone's phone.
Speaker 1: Is key to that.
Speaker 2: Particularly for the Stecca. It's got no windows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's rights sort of underground.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you walk through some fire stairs into a dark bar and then round the corner threw another door into a lighter dining space. I remember that, so it's a little bit disorientated. I did feel that like a casino. There's no clocks on the wall, you don't know what time it is, and then we remove your phone so you deprived of your most important sensory experience.
Speaker 1: I let you take my phone. You don't have to.
Speaker 3: I don't think I did.
Speaker 1: I think, but I definitely didn't turn it on. I turned it off. I respected the request, but I don't remember actually issuing my phone to anybody.
Speaker 3: So with Bisteka, we went to travel through itly obviously to dive in that concert. And we went dinner one night and we're on our phones. We used to do our reviews on our phones for the restaurants so we can could of take notes, and we had this norna across the restaurant.
Speaker 1: A grandma just stare at us, like what are you doing on your phone?
Speaker 2: Really phone came over and just yelled at us.
Speaker 1: Obnestly.
Speaker 2: She came over as like like Italian, Yeah, kind of along the lines of you're in Monte Puciano. We're at a restaurant called Aquakata. There's a guy up there hacking at this big beast. It was so atmospheric, and we're they're both on our phones. I think we're probably squabbling with each other as well about something, and she's like.
Speaker 1: Get off your sound like the odd couple, you know, she's like, get off your.
Speaker 2: Phone, And so we got off the phone and then we just sort of, you know, put her head up so we could breathe a little and look around, and we're like, oh.
Speaker 3: We made a pack for the rest of that trip. No phones the dining room table.
Speaker 1: That's cool.
Speaker 3: It's on the way back on the plane. We're like, we why don't we try and bring that into sand And has that worked well? When I first time my wife, she's like, you got to be joking.
Speaker 1: Me, because people want to take selfies and stuff, take the food.
Speaker 3: Look, I say, eighty per cent of people hand their phone over without even.
Speaker 1: A question generation about what younger people.
Speaker 2: The younger people actually sights.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: One of the first nights I had, a mature lady dressed me down like I was a student at school, and she said, excuse me, I will monitor my own behavior. I won't have you, young man tell me how to behave.
Speaker 3: It's eighty percent of people no problems, you know. The fifteen percent of people I like, hesitant, they give it to you, but they actually really enjoyed not having the phone with them. And then a five percent of people you get addressing down.
Speaker 1: And then when you when she'd reress you down what was.
Speaker 2: Shut myself and let her keep the phone. But initially when we did it at dinner, we were very hard. You know, you're coming in for dinner, it's a social occasion, but gentle them in advance on the website.
Speaker 1: But you don't send an email confuming bookings. And by the way, there are no fucking telephones.
Speaker 2: When you're in the bar area. Do what you want. Come through the dining area. We take it away. And at dinner we would sort of say, look, we understand, you know, if you've got a babysitter and you need to hit your phone, we get it right, but try and remove your phones. But for lunch, initially we were like, people are doing business, We're not going to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because that was me, I have to check my phone for stuff going.
Speaker 2: What ended up happening is we would we get a lot of finance building sector because we were located, come in and they would hand over their phones because they're they're doing a deal with someone at the table, and it was actually a great place for them to do this, have this conversation because they weren't getting distracted or their client wasn't getting distracted by the phone, and they were able to connect on a more personal level and quite often do quite a good deal at the table.
Speaker 1: We did a shifty blade bring in a woman in there they shouldn't be with it, or a bloke comment because they're not going to get their photograph taken, a sneak gup, we get down to the bottom of the basement. A mistake, but it's hot in the corner.
Speaker 2: It's more about making them. I think we're time precious as a society now, so it's making people able to enjoy the experience of who they're dining with, whether it's business or family or whatever it might be. So they're able to enjoy the environment. And we've made the environment at Bisteca, and then the next one we sort of took the idea into the Gidley and did it again because we wanted people to enjoy the experience that we were trying to put forward to them.
Speaker 1: Where's the Gidley. It's on King Street in the CBD as well, and what's the theme there? What it will be doing about the SEC is a steak joint, but what's.
Speaker 2: More of an American steak joint, So a little bit more lush, plush. We broadened the menu out so Besteca only does t Bone the Gidley kind of heroes the Ribbi, but there is other things.
Speaker 1: On offer or something like that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but again, like I said, we jumped on a plane. We went to New York. We went to all the famous steakhouses and old school bars and kind of drew all the inspiration of what makes these institutions iconic, you know, all the little details about how they serve a martini or how they present food, or how they serve at table side down to simple things like we're walking in a place and we ordered a couple of drinks and the waiters walking past and we'd finished our drink and they're like, don't worry, I got you. Like that kind of acknowledgment that you need something better.
Speaker 1: Pretty good that way, it's I got you because they're looking for the tip. But they're smart. They're working out pretty fast. Well what were they a little best known for? Like into the food.
Speaker 2: For example, currently, we've just been awarded ninth best burger in the world. Wow, so we are getting inundated with people coming in for a burger. We're also one of the best takeaway sit down, So sit down, burger. It's a luxe deck about it.
Speaker 1: Telling me to describe it, it made my mouth water.
Speaker 2: Are you a burger guy?
Speaker 1: I love meat?
Speaker 2: Honestly, I would say you need to go to the Gidli twice then, because you go into the lounge and have the burger, you go into the dining room and have the full experience. But the burger is a little bit over the top. We wanted to bring that silver service element to what's normally served at the corner store and your local kind of fish and chippy. So we use our own meat that we've aged at Alfie's, which is the next venue that we've opened. So we ate our own meat. We use that which gives a really rich kind of decadent taste to the paddy. A briosh bun which is sweeter, or milk bun, milk milk bun. But I guess the silver service side of it is body additions.
Speaker 1: So you've got like it well, So double paddy sets.
Speaker 3: Of cheese American cheese obviously, and you can order a side of bacon which is a honey smoke bacon or maple smoke bacon sorry, or and an egg.
Speaker 1: So if not on not on the burger.
Speaker 3: Yes, you you can create it on the burger. So the standard burger burger, and we make.
Speaker 6: A little source with it, so we actually pick up, we wear a white glove, we carve the the egg, and we actually silver over the burger to make it kind of a bit more of a of a of a decades burger.
Speaker 1: Yes, you see, you're trying to deliver decadence correct, Yeah, in a burger, Which that's cool, that's very cool. I will definitely try that. I definitely would try that one hundred percent. And they get some chips or something like, yeah, they sort of well, actually shake shake fries.
Speaker 3: So you get them in a brown paper bag, you add your own season and you shake shake away.
Speaker 1: And by sort we're doing about French fries. French French fries, A French fries. We're very American. I like French fries. Yeah, that's so, that's the Gidley. That's the Gidly. So and if you if you were to described the experience apart from the food, what's the experience experientially like apart from the getting like watching all this stuff happen, like I guess they get to see the dude with the white gloves and or the plow.
Speaker 2: And the hands off ch astronomy. I guess is what we like one for nothing. You We want you to come in there and not have to kind of wish that there was something that you needed. So anything you need, anything you want, hopefully we're providing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And what about the theater of it all? I mean, because you got you've got the besteck, we sort of there's a bit of theater going or a dark so you go in these mad stairs and then you walk into the bar my memory of it, I haven't been for years, the pre covid and then go to another room which is a bit lighter than the bar, because I thought, where am I this dark joint here? What's going on here? But I saw all these suits in there, guys standing with suits, so though one must be okay. And then went out of the back and it was good. It was a nice state. The state was good. There's some theater in that. What about the Ghili theater It's it's.
Speaker 2: Kind of set up like a members club, So the front door has very little signage on it and there is a pressed enter button, so you press the button and someone will release the catch on the door and you come down and you're greeted by the host welcomes you to the lounge area. The lounge is set up like someone's decad an apartment, so it's got a bar in there, but there's no bar counter, so you know you can go most bars, the bartender is behind at the bar, and so there's that element of separation. This is one open room, so you feel like you were able to wander.
Speaker 1: A club like a club.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, so it's all open. You're able to walk right up to the counter where the bartender is making the drinks and feel like you're in someone's decad and apartment. So that's part one. It's all very plush and intimate. The rooms are all separated, so there's a bit of kind of intimacy with the space. You move through to the dining area. There's only eleven tables. There's plenty of staff, but they're not kind of hovering over the top of you. There's a lot of that want for nothing service with the food, but dial down so it's not stiff and stuffy and boring. There's like with the silver service of the burger, it's kind of taking the piss a little bit. You don't need to put a glove on and cut a burger, but it just adds that theater. So there's elements of that with all the food that we serve, or it might be a table side martini that we bring out which comes on a tray with all the accoutrement that you can kind of customize yourself. And then we've got a bunch of other rooms that are all semi private or private rooms. So we've got a private room which has full soundproofing, TV audio facilities. People have end of year spreadsheet presentations or other ones where they accidentally let go of balloons that cover the CCTV cameras accidentally, of course. And then one of the other rooms is the poker room, so we've got a private game. Yeah, we've got a private poker room. At the back. We'll bring in a professional croup here. It's got a full size professional table. It's set for dinner, so you have dinner on top and then we lift the top off and that reveals the poker table. So again very very experience experiential.
Speaker 1: Yeah sounds cool, that sounds cool. Licensing police don't listen to that part of it.
Speaker 3: Fight as long as the house doesn't make any money. Yeah, so we don't make any money off of they do well. They want to be they want to bet amount.
Speaker 1: Each other, that's perfectly.
Speaker 3: But I'm taking it's only when you're when the chips are worth a dollar value that it's an issue.
Speaker 1: Whereas ships are free that you just supply the venue, just play correct and the drinks and the food. They can play. They can play for the money, they can play for whatever they want. But with us, they can play for countries. So okay. So and where did you see this concept in the US, this particular concept.
Speaker 2: So, I mean New York has plenty of steakhouses. Yeah, you know, Keanes and Peter Lugas are probably two of the more famous ones. They're huge. I don't know if you've been to either of them.
Speaker 1: I've been to. I have been to a steakhouse, a famous one in New York, but I can't remember the name of it. It's not Simpsons. There's there's a place called Simpsons in London and I've been to. I can remember the name of the joint in it's like got a so like a Jewish sort of name of the place in New York that I went to. I got taken there by some but.
Speaker 2: There is lots of them. Yeah, we went to one which was called for Charles, which we kind of went It was in Greenwich. We went down these little stairs through some curtains and we were kind of almost rudely abruptly served in a cheeky, funny manner by these staff and then taken to our table. It wasn't until a nine thirty booking. We normally are in bed by nine thirty, so by that point we'd had a few blasts of the wine maybe, so the memories are a little bit fuzzy, but it was just really atmospheric. The food was good. It wasn't exceptional, to be honest, but it was what kind of clicked for us. So we had the space. We had no idea what we wanted to use for the space for the Gidli specifically, so we'd gone over there fishing. We knew it wanted to be steak orientated because of the success of Bistecca, but this venue really kind of made it click to us that what we got right at Bistecca wasn't that it was steak, it was that it was geared around around pushing an experience that we loved onto our guests and create an environment that they could thrive in. That So this was a similar experience that we really, I guess gravitated too, and we knew that that's how we wanted to set up. The venue in Sydney was like that.
Speaker 3: And it's imperative that all five senses are being hit right Obviously, you know when you walk at a venue, you want it to be aesthetically pleasing. She knew that that site to be to be awow and it needs to marry up with the way the tables feel, the way the cutter it feels, the way the napkins feel, obviously, the taste the food, the smell of the venue. It's imperative that you know, you've even gone to a restaurant and someone's like, how was that? You're like it it was okay, And you said, well, why it was just okay? This I don't know, just it was just okay. It just didn't it didn't wow me. Is that as a guest, you go there and you're sub conscious is picking up all these little inconsistencies with what the product is and you just don't know what you can't put your finger on it. But it's not it's not quite right, and you know, it's impaired that all our five senses are being hit. And that's a really important of all that businesses is that they're you know, they they engage you in, all of you in the space. It's not just about the food. There's better restaurants doing better food out there a hundred percent. But you know, when we went to Four Charles, the food was going to be good no matter how bad it was. Yeah, because I was in, I was sold. I feel good right that moment. If I just feel good, if they give you an average product is still going to taste pretty good.
Speaker 1: It was. And by the way, most the quality of most food, at least you're in Australia at least, like raw materials, it's pretty bloody good. It's hard to stuff, you know, like if it was just makeing a steak. I'm not saying I'm not putting anyone down, but like you know, if it's a high quality bit of meat to start with, and you're a reasonable chef, you.
Speaker 2: Should fuck yeah, you're already one.
Speaker 1: You're sweet. Like I can even cook a good steak.
Speaker 2: You know, what's your go to steak well.
Speaker 1: I like t bone. I've always loved too because it reminds me of a gurr up as a kid. That was our real special night t bone at night, which wasn't that all that often, but when we got one is great because you get in the you get the filler in the bit of each and my I remember it's funny. My dad used always makee me eat the fatterer on and I used to die and and stuff to eat the faederal. But today I love the fat saying I hate the fat, there's actually correct his flavor and I like that bit of fat. Now that's my go to or or or a surloin. Probably not big on the luna meats like the filets and stuff like that, but yeah, but I actually would eat the burger at the Italy. I definitely would try the burger for the experience because I want to. I'm not going to go buy burgers normally because you know, I'm just sort of health conscious and all that sort of stuff, And but I would make an exception to try that out because of the experience or the way you just described it to me. If you ordered the egg, I definitely ordered the egg. Yeah, I mean because I now I want to see it being done. So Nat, You've got me in. So it's not because I wanted a hamburger or a burger beat burger. It's because I want to see all this stuff going on. So you're the makes sense. I mean, you two guys are the best ads here. Your own joints. Yeah, just your own descriptions is very good, you know. And what are the values? You talk about values before, So I think it was what are the values of your institution's relative to your staff, your customers, everything.
Speaker 3: I think it's you know, back to people, the business is not successful forwards to me and James. The business is successful because of the people that were with us. We're only two people, you know, Grandma's what's successful because of us? Yeah, sure, But the rest of it, as a business is growing, is the people around us. And over the years of working together, we've established core values.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are they?
Speaker 3: So we've got six core values and we basically hire against these core values. We manage staff against these core values, and we fire against these core values.
Speaker 1: So you let the people who work for you know the core values and also where they sit. So there's a traffic light system.
Speaker 3: So Mark will have all these six core values, and you have a color system next to each of those core values. Green bee you achieve those core value, that core value at all times or most of the time, yellow orange will be we need some work one of those core values is not you sort of dropping the border and read as you don't. You don't possess that core value and it's it's time to move on.
Speaker 1: So is this has dashboard kept their own dashboard or.
Speaker 3: Each each staff and has their own profile, and on that profile is they can go and look at it that they can access where they are. But as we have one on ones every quart every three months where the start quarterly quarterly reviews, yep, and that's their manager. All their direct manager will sit go and go through their core values, how they're how they're tracking. Any conversations need to be had, but if they're read, it's it's spoken about more than just a quarterly. It's spoken about straight away.
Speaker 1: So for example, what could.
Speaker 3: Drive driven and I mean driven is not driven to succeeds in hospitality or in our company, Like a lot of our staff are doing it because they're an actor or they want to be on TV. So they kind of. I don't expect them to commit themselves driven to to make liquid later successful, but driven in their own right. People who want to want to get up in the morning, they want to get stuck in their they want to have a go. The second is respect, so obviously respect for each other, respect for themselves, and respect for the business they work in. A big one for me is growth mindset. So what I mean by that is we all have mistakes, we will fuck up. It's about how do you take the strengths and the polity away from those mistakes and use that as a power tool to grow rather than let it squash you and push you into the ground. So that's a big one for me. It's growth mindset. Teamwork is another one, so making sure we work as a team. We come from a sporting background.
Speaker 1: You do as well.
Speaker 3: How important we bring us all of our sporting analogies back into business. I think they're very similar. Sport business very similar. And to play as a team, you have your mates back to work next the person est to to put yourself out to make sure the person xt youse is happy and successful. And one of the most important ones for us is the desire to create an experience. And I think I brought this up before.
Speaker 1: That's five.
Speaker 3: Yes, the desire to create an experience. So this is something you can't be taught. This is something that it has. It's within you and you get You get off by serving people, You get off by making other people happy.
Speaker 2: Downs have it as a culture.
Speaker 3: We talked about it without that you're not going to make this industry because it's just not gonna happen. And that's that's the most and the key one I'm looking for when it comes to to.
Speaker 2: Our core values, and that was fire accountability, accountability which we hold ourselves to. If we say it, we'll do it. We've always sort of between the two of us said we've got a man triff. It was it complains to me about something, and I say, okay, he knows that means I will resolve it. And if I can't resolve it, I will come back to you. It doesn't mean I'm just going to ignore you. I don't think it's relevant.
Speaker 3: But also we will suck up and own it like a maot of mistake, Like let's move on a man of mistake we've had.
Speaker 1: We fix this problem.
Speaker 3: Rather than trying to push the blame rather than trying to sort of pass the buck to somebody else or defend your position correct, just own it, we resolve it.
Speaker 1: We're not using a shit about how you can defend your position because we're in business and we're looking for our politics. Well, it's going to be business about outcomes. It's not about your own personal how you feel like. You know, if you've done something wrong that's not within the organization, not within the mantra, then it doesn't matter if you if it's defensible.
Speaker 3: And the most powerful thing about these core values is we're out of stage now as a company, got close to three hundred staff that because we live and breathe, we talk about these values, we and we manage against these values. The people who work in our environment hold these values. So when somebody comes into the environment that doesn't hold those values, gives what they do. They are feel comfortable, so they leave, yeah, and that they self select correct. And that is a lot of it's been a lot of hard work to get to that stage, and it's a lot of constantly being consistent about what we talk about. But now at the stages, they don't want to be part of this because that doesn't align with them.
Speaker 1: So what's the final one, what's your new venture?
Speaker 2: Look at one more after the Gidla. So just before the Gidler we sold Burgoo and Wilhelminas. That's gone now and last year we opened our Offies, which is our third and hopefully last kind of stake concept. But it's some Bli Street in that kind of area where there's lots of other state restaurants in Sydney.
Speaker 1: Oh. Yeah, it's around the corner for me. Yep, it's just down from one of my officers there. I've got one on Blin Street and office. It'll be a great officer. Ye, just down the roads the back underneath the Yeah, is that next to the gym?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I haven't been there. I walked past of you because I was sure it was a breakfast place or a dinner play lunch and dinner.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, you mentioned Surloin. You like it, So it's only serving surloin.
Speaker 1: It's kind of at a ball called sirloin, our ball sirloin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the joke where the name comes from.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: So we we looked at what we're offering across the other venues and from an economy of scale point of view, we thought it makes sense for us to buy the whole joint of the Beast and then agent ourselves for six weeks so that we can ensure that we've got the right quality and the right consistent supply. We had a lot of issues with the consistent supply of the product because we're going through a Pasteco alone almost six hundred kilos of t bone a week, so it's quite substantial. Substantial, so we looked for a space that we could incorporate our own on side butchery that we could then get bulk orders from our butcher agent, like was said, for six weeks and then distribute off to Bisteco and the Gidley. But in order to do that, we needed to have a third restaurant that used the final part of the joint, which was the Serbine. So that's where Alfhis came into it. But rather than just do another state restaurant that has been done several times and now, the Gidli was probably one of the earlier American style ones in Sydney. There's now quite a lot of them. We were sort of on that wave of steak brasseries in Sydney, so Alfie's is really pitched at the next generation of people working in the city. It's fast paced, it's loud, it's aimed at a sort of lower price point. So rather than come in and spend a healthy sum and stay for two and a half three hours and not go back to work, come into Alfie's. Stay will be on your plate in fifteen minutes. You can be come for a lunch break for forty five minutes to an hour and go back to the office. You have an affordable but great quality meal, you have a glass of wine, and you're back to the office. So that's where Alfie's are.
Speaker 1: Trying that because that's my go in and out.
Speaker 3: And we have nine tons of beef in the core. Back nine tons, I'll take you. We never run out of beef, hopefully not.
Speaker 2: So did you have anything else on the on the on the we have something opening in January next year. Yeah, So we have tried to do something different this time, and we've partnered with Toga Properties and TF Hotels who have a new development out on the corner of Baptists and Cleveland Street.
Speaker 1: Old Murder.
Speaker 2: We're not allowed to say that was on the corner where Bats Street Crown and Cleveland, Crown and Cleveland and then if you go dagoning across is Baptist Street. So there's a large development that's been going on.
Speaker 1: For it's on the edge of Surrey Hills. Is probably more address. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know the one. It's Spencer Simmons' development is that.
Speaker 2: Yes, So it's a mixed development. There's some retail, there's some residential ago and there's a hotel. And the hotel is going in is called the Eve. So it's run by TF as a hotel operator. It's they're the same people that own, sorry, that run the Carlisle and Brisbane, so this is their equivalent in Sydney, and they acknowledged as a lot of hotel operators have done in Sydney retail.
Speaker 1: As I call it the color Little probably right because that's the name of the old man Calil.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of hotel operators have acknowledged that they don't do F and B very well. They're about rooms and keys and service and functions and all the other things that goes with a hotel. So they've started to farm out that to specialist operators. So when Tiger started looking, they wanted someone that was quintessentially Sydney, that was born and raised here, that had an established success rate in Sydney specifically. We went through quite a lengthy tender process which we won earlier this year, and so we're doing two venues as part of the hotel. There's also other restaurants going into this precinct, but we've got a European style bistro going into the lobby. So if you think about all the hotels you've stayed at in Europe or America, that quintessential lobby space that's got that buzz and that energy about it. There's always people moving around. Maybe they're working on their laptop, maybe a couple of people are smashing Martiniz in the corner. You grab a quick bite to eat, or a play oys some champagne. It's kind of that mixed use space. So we've got that going in. And then on the rooftop they've got a beautiful rooftop restaurant which is attached to the hotel's pool that we'll be doing in a contemporary Mexican around the rooftop so an all weather space, so in summer it can be open and breezy, in winter it can be closed off and nice and warm and sheltered. It's kind of pushing the boat out a little bit. I think Sydney does text mes. Yeah, and that kind of elevated style of Mexican cuisine is starting to come in. What really drew us to it and we jumped on a plane and went to La and looked at all the offerings that they do there. They do rooftops pretty well.
Speaker 1: They sure do.
Speaker 3: Was the Peninsula, Yeah, great Mexican food, unbele Mexican.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: All the ones we looked at they had a great piece of protein, They had some sort of garnish salad and a couple of sources, and it was fresh and iburn, exciting, and we're like, this is what we like to eat, this is what we do well. We do that protein and garnish, keeping it simple rather than pearls and swirls. That's our specialty. So let's do contemporary Mexican. And when you're sitting around a pool having a you know, a taco and a margarita sounds pretty good to me.
Speaker 3: Have you got names for these joints Lotti's on the rooftop, Well, it's called lotty Lotty Yeah, And Bardulous.
Speaker 2: Hello, double T l O double T I E which is not yet announced, just announced, so we're just breaking. Yeah, called bar Julius, bar Julius, bar Julius.
Speaker 1: Okay, I thought it was one with the bar Julius. That's cool. I like, that's a good name. Bar Julius.
Speaker 2: The precinct is named after the Wonderlitch brothers who used to own that block of land one hundred odd years ago, who were a couple of migrant merchant traders, and one of those brothers was Ernest Julius Wondering.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So we weren't overly creative there.
Speaker 1: But it's a good name, bar Julius.
Speaker 4: I like it.
Speaker 2: No, it sticks the location.
Speaker 1: I'm better. I've not known the story behind it, but I think bar Julius is because that takes away from bar Julius. I think so.
Speaker 3: Most of our stories are just made up anyway for how he came up with the name, well, we do, but more.
Speaker 1: Names have a story behind it because we just make shu up. It's actually good names. It's memorable from my point of view, and lord, it's very good. Well, all guys, thanks for ertaining me, me and the audience for your journey bar Julius sounds really cool, Lotties does. I'm definitely going to go back to Bistecca because now I'm going to probably appreciate a little bit better because I worked it. Walked in there with a nark's head on that day. I remember it. I wasn't I didn't really want to go. I didn't feel like going. But I only reason it's because Jeff asking me is in my mate. It's not just not my thing normal. I don't want to drink wine during the day because I've got to go back to work basically, but I do remember her phone think and and and I'm definitely going to try the Giddy by the way, the Gidli why do you call it gid because it wasn't named after Matthew Gidley who played for Newcastle. Now it wasn't.
Speaker 2: Again, It's one of these names that it sounds good but it doesn't really matter. But King Street, which we're located on, is named after Philip Gidley King, the third Governor of New South Wales.
Speaker 1: Right, who was a Teeto Loling as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which doesn't really but it does play into the where the extension of our team, which is our design team. We've used the same people to do the branding, the building, the design work several times where they get their inspiration from. So a lot of the fit out of the Gidley is taken from Philip Gidley. King had a property on Norfolk Island and he was into his floora and fauna. So a lot of the wallpaper is displaying native plants of Australia, so it kind of all ties in in a subtle way.
Speaker 1: Well, I will I will bring my own bottle of whiskey along to wherever I go, whichever was the first place. Actually, I think we've booked the Gidley I'm taking. We're going to be Chrisippoti there.
Speaker 2: I think this year so great.
Speaker 1: I will bring a bottle of my whiskey along too, and that'll be my gift to your establishment. And by the way, it did win again this year Austraight's best single. Note. I just thought, throw a little bit, a little bit of a thing because it is Christmas time coming up, and please buy and go to these guys restaurants. Guys, thanks very much, Jimmy, Thanks thank you, great Combot, really thank you very much. Thank you