Speaker 1: If you're at a point with your health where you want answers, answers to your low energy, answers to that stubborn weight that won't shift, then I've got the solution for you. I've partnered with the most amazing integrative GP to bring you Inner Vitality, a brand new online program that uses over fifty bio markers to give you an accurate picture of your unique biochemistry and any imbalances. Then, over eight weeks, we educate you on these markers and implement the small but powerful changes needed to restore your internal balance. Visit the link in the show notes to find out more. This is Healthy Heer with Amelia Phillips and welcome to another one of my mini motivation episodes. These are shorter, bite sized conversations designed to educate and inspire.
Speaker 2: You and ultimately support you on.
Speaker 1: Your path to better health, both physical and emotional. And as a woman, but also as a mum because that role is so important to help set up the health of our whole family. Healthier happier mon raise, healthier happier kids. So good on you for being here. Now today we're going to talk about self doubt. We all experience it. But some of us experience it more than others, and I've had my fair share, that's for sure. Sometimes that internal voice can just get so loud it really paralyzes us. Now recently I ask business coach Lorraine Murphy how we can move past our own self doubt. Lorraine is an award winning entrepreneur, a best selling author, speaker, mentor.
Speaker 2: And mother.
Speaker 1: She runs online business coaching programs and events, plus her weekly podcast, The Lorraine Murphy Show, which I have had the pleasure of being on. Lorrain shows us that while self doubt is a perfectly normal emotion, there are ways we can dial down that inner critic and release that paralyzing feeling of self doubt. So take a listen, Lorraine. Self doubt. None of us are immune to it, but for many of us, it rings very loudly in our mind. And I was just chatting with you offline saying that I'm going through a bit of a self doubt plague at the moment. And I've had it since I was young, and I go through these phases where it's just a quiet little whisper, and you know, I just ignore it to then really rearing its ugly head and almost paralyzing me.
Speaker 2: So I guess for me, it really stops.
Speaker 1: Me thinking big, or if I am thinking big, it puts the handbrake on and I feel like I'm wading through mud trying to reach my goals. Why does self doubt plague some of us more than others?
Speaker 3: So I would actually challenge that.
Speaker 4: I feel like everyone experiences self doubt. I think it's how we navigate it, if that makes sense. And but I don't want anyone listening to think that if they follow someone on Instagram. And because I think so many of your listeners Amelia you just sharing that, they're be like what but she's like gorgeous and so smart, and she's this amazing business and she's got it all sorted. I think we can just assume that others don't have this problem because they're not getting on Instagram telling us about it twenty four to seven.
Speaker 3: So I actually think it's quite universal.
Speaker 4: And I think it's also important to remember that self doubt can manifest in many different ways. I see self doubt as almost like this umbrella and then hanging off that umbrella. You've got imposter syndrome, you've got procrastination, you've got creating like distractions for yourself. There's so many different ways that it can manifest, and including that sense of inertia, like I just feel like I can't it's not even prastination, you just can't move forward. So I think it is very universal and I think it's also worth exploring. And this is something that I experience on my retreats when I bring the healers into work with the groups, that I bring in the historical reasons for why that self doubt is there and how it shows up. It's that real deep inner child work that going back to past memories and past experiences. And I'm going to say trauma, but I don't mean the way that we would think of trauma as something really horrific that has happened. No.
Speaker 2: I love this concept of big tea and little tea trauma.
Speaker 3: Oh I haven't heard that.
Speaker 1: Oh you will love this lorrange big tea and little tea trauma. So I think we can all understand big T trauma for sure, and hopefully you haven't been through any big T trauma and I certainly haven't been through any big TA trauma. But then you've got little tea trauma, which can be neglect. It can be being part of a big family and feeling like you weren't heard. It can be parents breaking up or in some cases that can be big t trauma for people, but it gives voice to people like me who I don't feel deserving or doing the inner child work because I had a pretty glorious upbringing. So yeah, you're welcome. You can take that and run away.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: I love that I could be, you know, the trauma could be. I remember one of my uncles commenting on me dancing. I mean, I was younger than ten and my uncles are like the most beautiful man in the world, and he just commented about something that I was. I think he said, she's as stiff as an ironing board dancing on the dance floor. And it wasn't mean, it was just it was making you know, it was a joke, but I internalize that for so many years, I'm so self conscious dancing, So yeah, I do. When I do, like ecstatic dance and so on a balley, it's so incredibly freeing. So I love that you said that little tea trauma, but it can really even for those of us who feel like, yeah, we've had picture postcard upbringings. There's chances that there's something there that might have triggered that sense of self doubt. So what I like to do with today and stay on top of that is doing that deeper healing. But also I see a kinesiologist every month, and I think, like you immediately, like you're in the public eye, You've got people who are looking at you thinking, you know, oh, she's got it easy. Everything must be perfect, And it's that chance to I kind of see like clearing out my closet. It's like a monthly energetic clearing out my closet and just to yeah, clear out of mindset, energy, emotional, just to kind of reset myself for every month. Because what can happen as well is that you can absorb the energy of other people. It's partners or clients or friends. And you might go for a walk with someone. I know, I've had this experience where I think everything's great and then all of a sudden, I come back and I've been with someone who's going through their own experience and it's almost like you. I'm going to say, like you catch their energy and where they're at, and it can bring you down if you're open to that it can bring you down.
Speaker 3: So I think just doing that monthly.
Speaker 4: Cleanup is really really important for me and helps me stay on top of that.
Speaker 1: And just as an interesting side note on kinesiology, I've always, you know, kind of been slightly dubious about kinesiology, but I'm also very open and curious and so a little while ago I went had a kinesiology session. She did not put her hands, she did not physically touch me, and I was sobbing on the bench and I don't.
Speaker 2: Know where it came from. I walked. I wasn't that bad. I came in, I was fine.
Speaker 1: We had a nice chat, said let's see what we do, and she was, you know, doing all her bits and pieces, and I was like, well, there might not be this really really solid research behind it like there is for accupunk, but bloody hell, whatever she did to me triggered a release that had not been ever done before.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 4: Wow. I love It's probably my favorite of all the alternative therapies.
Speaker 1: It's that you've got a couple of really practical but effective ways to help protect us from this paralyzing self doubt.
Speaker 2: I'd love to hear what these.
Speaker 4: Are yeah, I think the key thing we touched on a little already it is just that self talk with yourself, you know, trying to catch yourself on how this has been talked about a lot, but we often talk to ourselves in a way that we would never in a million years talk to our best friend or our child or our partner in that same tone and with that particular language.
Speaker 3: So I think it's trying to catch the self.
Speaker 4: Talk when it does happen and create I'd like to call it like a pattern interrupt, and a great pattern interrupt is a positive affirmation that you can replace it with. So rather than saying, you know, I'm never going to get the success that I'm going to I want to have in my business, just as an example, it's every step of my journey is a stepping stone towards greater success. That there's so many different affirmations that you can start to rewrite that program. Our brains are so plastic, and when we can acknowledge that and identify maybe the more negative programs that we're running and replace them with positive programs, I find that really really helpful. I think it's also really really important to have people I call them the keepers of the vision around you, so that the people that know your goals, know your strengths, know how wonderful you are and also how challenging you can.
Speaker 3: Be as well. That there real is.
Speaker 4: But they're the people that when we are having a low day, or a low week, or even a low moder year, they're the people who can be that keeper of the vision and remind you of who you really are.
Speaker 3: And I think that's so.
Speaker 4: Incredibly important because we can be one hundred percent I've got this every single day. Everyone's going to have their low points for whatever different reason. So I like to think about that and I see that as my rol with a lot of my mentees and their businesses, I'm the keeper of the vision. On the days that they're not able to keep the vision, I can keep that vision for them.
Speaker 3: And I think it's the very same with self doubt.
Speaker 1: If you're at a point with your health where you want answers, answers to your low energy, answers to that stubborn weight that won't shift, then I've got the solution for you. I have partnered with the most amazing integrative GP to bring you inner vitality. It's a brand new online program that uses over fifty biomarkers to give you an accurate picture of your unique biochemistry and the insufficiencies, deficiencies, or out of range markers that might be holding you back. We look at all aspects of your health, from your metabolic health to hormones, vitamins, minerals, liver, kidney, thyroid function, and more. Then over the eight weeks as a group, we educate you on these markers and implement the small but powerful changes needed to restore your internal balance and bring back your vitality. Visit the link in the show notes to find out more. Who can that be for us? Like thinking about you and your life? Who are your keeper of visions around you?
Speaker 4: My husband and I would say probably three best friends who I would share that level of detail and vision with. And one of them I mentioned too previously. There's a particular revenue goal that I'm going towards at the moment. And one of my friends I ordered a cocktail with her in Bali and it was horrible. It was like this bright blue Oh was so disgusting. I said, I really don't want to drink this, but I feel like I've paid for it. I need to drink it. And she was like, well, what would a woman who's doing the kind of revenue that you want to do when your business do.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh, she just wouldn't drink it, she'd order another one. And she's like, you order another one? Kind of friends, I really okay?
Speaker 1: And I guess with that in mind, it requires sharing.
Speaker 2: It requires you to be very.
Speaker 1: Vulnerable and open, and you know, maybe sharing some of these big goals that you have, and if you're someone that suffers with self doubt, then even the mere act of actually saying those things out loud or shearing them with other people is actually a really scary thing to do and a really hard thing to do. I wonder if just the mere act of peaking those lighthouse people and enrolling them in your vision, in your goals, is even just the act of doing that.
Speaker 5: Might be a step out of that out of that self doubt because I wouldn't share that with everyone, and same with you, Emilia, Like we put so much stuff out there about our lives and what we're doing and so on, but there's that's the kind of that's the external layer.
Speaker 4: And it's not to say that anything I ever put out there is misleading or not true. I like to think everything is very authentic and it's what's actually happening. But there's a whole level like three levels deeper five le mean seven levels deeper that only a very small number of people I would share with.
Speaker 3: And so I think you're right.
Speaker 4: I think it's first of all, knowing the people that it's safe to share with, because also so many people might have littlety trauma of sharing a big goal and someone's laughed at them or told them there's no way because they're not educated enough or smart enough or rich enough to don't achieve that. So I think it's knowing those And even if it's one person, I honestly think if you've got one person in your life who can be a keeper of your vision, that's you've hit the chapel. I think you don't need to have endless people. And also there's certain people who I share certain goals with that like I would share my health goals, for example, with a naturopath with a couple of friends, but then there's other friends that I would share business goals with. And my accountant knows my business goals for example. Yeah, so I think it's just knowing who's appropriate and who you feel safe sharing with is really key.
Speaker 3: But I love you made that point.
Speaker 1: Thank you so for a mum listening who can really relate to this paralyzed feeling of self doubt and is sitting here going through a bit of a funk like I have been recently, What's something she can maybe go and do today to just help release her self for at least step, you know that one or two steps in the right direction of releasing this self doubt.
Speaker 4: I think there's probably two things I would recommend, and one is kind of more reactive and one is more proactive. The reactive one would be, if it's self doubt to do with, for example, a business goal, it's to sit down and write twenty reasons why it is possible for you to hit that business goal. Or you know, if it's a relationship, twenty reasons that you deserve that.
Speaker 3: It's just about it. It's that holiday. Our brains are plastic and convincing ourselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love this twenty.
Speaker 3: So I love that.
Speaker 4: And then another thing that that's the reactive one, but the proactive one, which I have found very very helpful over the years, is to have an evidence journal. So when something does happen that it feels like you're really making progress, You're really it's just those wins that you're really proud of, it's to write them down somewhere.
Speaker 3: So it could be I don't know where My daughter got this.
Speaker 4: She's seven, and when she was six, she decided that she wanted to start a brave book. And every time she was brave, she wrote in her brave book, it was the most freaking beautiful thing ever. So it's like, it's a brave book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So is it a brave book? Is it an evidence journal?
Speaker 4: It's like an evidence journal of proving that you can be that thing.
Speaker 3: So for my daughter it was it was brave.
Speaker 4: And she stood up to a little boy who was like breaking her and her friend's little craft projects at school.
Speaker 3: In the world, I'm tearing up here.
Speaker 4: Oh so beautiful, I can she thinks of this stuff. It's amazing.
Speaker 3: She started this tree as well.
Speaker 4: There's a tree in our back garden and she came in one day and said, Okay, I'm going to start a strengths tree.
Speaker 3: Mamma.
Speaker 4: I'm like, okay, So we each have to write like our strengths and then she's tied them to the tree.
Speaker 1: Like, I don't know, my god, you haven't seen like an absolute coach in the Mad.
Speaker 3: Robins. She's so funny. But it's not a whole idea of and I haven't actually added.
Speaker 4: To it for a long time now, but I used to have when I was starting this second business. I called it the Why I Do This file, And it's a word document and every time someone sent me an Instagram comment, or replied to an email, or sent me a text, I would copy and paste it into that word document.
Speaker 3: So it's the formatting is all over the place. It's not pretty.
Speaker 4: But in days when I was having a tough day, just opening that Why I do this file, Yeah, it was amazing.
Speaker 1: I get amazing feedback from me only imagined after in my programs, and I've kept them all and if I'm having.
Speaker 3: A rough day, that's your evidence journal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I jump into me You've changed my life and I read it and I'm like, okay, all right, that's that's why I'm going to keep going.
Speaker 2: I can see that I'm making a difference to these people.
Speaker 4: But I love that's kind of being your own vision keeper. Does that make sense? Like you're making that evidence file your vision keeper.
Speaker 1: I just really love the practicality of if we are sitting here today feeling self doubt to do the twenty Reasons Why and in whatever area that you're feeling self doubt in. And then I love this concept of the Brave Book and whether it is something brave or whether it is just something successful that you're doing.
Speaker 3: I really whatever that is for you.
Speaker 4: You know, if it's brave, it's love, it's kindness, it's strength, whatever, whatever.
Speaker 1: That's I just think there are two really practical things we can go away and do that will that will just shift us and all we.
Speaker 2: Need is a nudge, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's amazing how just a small little shift can really change our outlook and improve our energy and our focus for.
Speaker 2: The rest of the day. So I love these, Lorraine, thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Can I just just one last thing, Yes, when we think about self doubt, it can be a negative spiral, you know, you spiral.
Speaker 3: Down, down, down, down down, and things like you.
Speaker 4: Know, if it's your Brave Book or it's the Twenty Reasons, it doesn't immediately start you spiraling up at speed, but it just gradually changes the direction, just gradually, it's like that little bread crumb trailer and then that's the next thing. So just changing the trajectory of your thinking in your day, I think is huge.
Speaker 2: That's beautiful. I'm literally going to go and do that right now.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thanks so much, thanks for listening to Healthy Hair. If you're at a point with your health where you want answers, answers to your low energy, answers to that stubborn weight that won't shift, then I've got the solution for you. I have partnered with the most amazing integrative GP to bring you in out Vitality, a brand new online program that uses over fifty by a mile is to give you an accurate picture of your unique biochemistry and any imbalances. Then, over eight weeks, we educate you on these markers and implement the small but powerful changes needed to restore your internal balance.
Speaker 2: Visit the link in the show notes to find out more.