Speaker 1: Welcome to the Late Debate.
Speaker 2: Great to have your company on the Late Debate.
Speaker 3: I'm James Macpherson with Free Leitch and Denika de Giorgio. Coming up tonight, A French Town set a new world record.
Speaker 2: But I have to say I've seen some world records in my time.
Speaker 3: This is the most bizarre world record I have ever heard of.
Speaker 2: Will fill you in shortly.
Speaker 3: Plus, when we look at what's making news in tomorrow's papers, Barnaby Joyce has his say on the coalition bust up, and there's some good news in tomorrow's papers, a breakthrough in the treatment of Alzheimer's. All of that coming up shortly. But we all know governments and banks are absolutely committed to eliminating cash. They're closing down bank branches, they're eliminating ATMs, and businesses are constantly pushing the convenience of using FPOs.
Speaker 2: You know, tap and go.
Speaker 3: But one Woollongong University student, well, he's pushing back against the cashlist society in a very unique court case. Oliver Griffiths is his name, and he's refusing to use f POSS to pay for on campus parking, instead offering to pay cash and offer that the university have repeatedly ignored.
Speaker 1: This is a.
Speaker 4: Note I leave in my car for parking inspectors to know that I'm happy to pay for my parking in cash.
Speaker 2: They never read it.
Speaker 4: What am I supposed to do? Cash allows me to be free economically and free individually. It allows me to have privacy. It's a moral stand against digital currency being forced on everybody. I think it's more convenient for people to pay for cash for parking. It's small change. We don't need a bulk bill our parking fees. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: So he's left a note in his car saying happy to pay cash. Here's my contact details. The university ignored the note and instead issued him with a ninety seven dollar fine. Rather than pay the fine, he's going to court. Then he's going to argue I offered to pay in cash. If the university won't accept cash, which is legal tender, well then that's a problem for them, not for me.
Speaker 2: Freyer, does he have a good argument.
Speaker 5: Here, Well, according to the H Trible C businesses don't have to accept cash, but they need to tell customers that in advance. So you need to be informed that this is a cashless operation. Otherwise, if you give them cash, they have to accept and from twenty twenty six all businesses will have to accept cash for essential services. So really this will come down to the technicality over whether there was a disclosure statement on any of these parking signs that this was a cashless car park. If there wasn't, I don't know. I reckon Oliy's got to shut here.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 7: It's interesting because I feel like this guy, Oliver Griffiths, is like the queen essential Australian.
Speaker 1: He saw they in that video was really in that the parking parking lot there it looked like it had been rating.
Speaker 7: He was out there making a stand and I I really love it that he's been called now the cash King.
Speaker 1: I mean, what an absolute name.
Speaker 7: Look good on him, I say, because he does indeed raise a very good point. Now, I do also think that the majority of young people are not using cash, but I mean that's beside the point. What if they are. My only concern with this is is that he's been fined ninety seven dollars. He's now started to go fund me page. I think he's looking to raise about five thousand dollars. That is a very big jump between ninety seven dollars and five.
Speaker 1: Thousand dollars just to prove a point.
Speaker 7: But look, I applaud him for standing up for this because in the end he is right, He's not wrong. It is still a legal tender in this country cash, and I do think we forget about that because it's just so easy to tap and.
Speaker 1: Go these days. But it's an expensive exercise.
Speaker 7: But all the power to Oliver Griffin standing out there in the pouring rain trying to make his point.
Speaker 1: Good on it.
Speaker 3: Well, like you said, young people are pretty o fay with using f pass or whatever. So it's going to see a young person who stirred up about the need to keep cash in circulation. Imagine if he wins, though, what this would mean for carpucks. Do you remember the days when on toll roads or in car pucks had the big basket and used to throw your coins out the wind you're looking at.
Speaker 1: Remember viewers will remember a big.
Speaker 3: Sort of bucket you'd throw your coins in. Although these days, with inflation the way the Albanezy government is running the joint, you need a wheelbaar of coins being pulled out your window to pay for your parking.
Speaker 6: And I honestly think good on Ali.
Speaker 5: There are some real even though I must admit I don't remember the last time I had cash in my wallets. I'm an Apple pay person through and through, but there are some genuine uses for cash. Women fleeing domestic violence often you know you need cash conceal payments from an abusive partner potentially. Also, there are some genuine national security concerns here. Our Internet system is so fragile and we've seen around the world when you have blackouts. If your whole payment system is digital, it just stops your country, your economy, it all stops. So being able to use cash, I think is really important.
Speaker 3: And of course we should point out Ollie is a fourth year law student, so it's a good way to get.
Speaker 5: Some exerience exactly. But moving on now to Sydney University. Now you probably remember the horrendous encampments we saw at the university. I was a student there at the time and genuinely there were, as you can see, hundreds of students who were camped at the university four months. I think it lasted for up to two months, and you can see the images there. You couldn't walk around campus without being confronted by this. Alongside the tent encampments, there were weekly protests, which I think you will also be able to see on the screen exactly, and so it was a lot of chanting and it was very distressing for a lot of students. Now, there was a big concern at the time that non students were coming onto campus, and many people felt that the university was not taking appropriate action.
Speaker 6: It's now been revealed through a freedom.
Speaker 5: Of information request that the university was panicking naturally, and one of their proposed solutions was to segregate Jewish students for their own safety, because they wanted away from them to avoid avoid the encampments, and they couldn't see any other way other than to separate Jewish students for their own good. Now, I'm not criticizing the university for trying to protect Jewish students. I think that's exactly what they should have been doing. But the problem here is they're essentially saying your right to protest is going to trump the rights of Jewish students to be able to move freely and safely around campus, and I just do not think that's right.
Speaker 7: Sorry, Sorry, I was just going to say the way that these universities have failed Jewish students. I think never ceases to amaze me. And can you honestly, genuinely imagine a situation where you say, Okay, if you're Jewish, you get to go through that door. I mean, if you're going to do that, what if you're a black student, you go through the left door. If you're Caucasian you go through the right door. If you're Asian you can go through the back door. I mean, in what society, in what country do we segregate people based on race, the color of their skin, and their religion. I think this is absolutely disgusting by the University of City to even have considered it, given we saw some shocking moments on campus like this one, and this is in Australia, and this is what was going on in this country, and yet.
Speaker 1: The board thought that the only.
Speaker 7: Way to solve the problem was to segregate Jewish students. I mean, congratulations, if you're out there chanting anti Israel sentiment, James, it pays off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this Sidney University should be ashamed of themselves. They had two choices.
Speaker 3: We could shut down the racist encampment, or we could just create a special entrance for Jews. So the Jews can just go over there and come into the university that way, and that's the option they were tempted to go with. They certainly didn't shut down the encampment like Eupreu, and you saw a lot of that.
Speaker 2: I went along one.
Speaker 3: Day just to check it out, and I was shocked that the university would allow something like that on campus, with not only university students who should be expelled in my opinion, if you're going to carry on that way, but allowing people from off site to come on and create a situation where Jewish students were put in a position where the university actually contemplated giving them a special Jews only entrance to keep them safe. And I think you're being a little kind to the university by saying, well, they were trying to help Jewish students. If that's the best they could do, it doesn't say much for the regard in which they hold Jewish students.
Speaker 5: And the other thing is the riot police. This came out in a Senate inquiry. The riot police offered to come onto campus to remove the protesters, but the vice chancellor refused them access to the university. He said, we don't need you here because he wanted to de escalate the situation and he didn't want to risk violence. So it's like, Okay, you've got violent people on the campus. The police are offering to come in. No, no, no, we wouldn't possibly want to make the protesters, the people who are breaking the rules upset, so let's just leave it and move Jewish students away.
Speaker 6: It's completely ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Look at it from a parent point of view, right, So you spend seventeen eighteen years raising your kids, and the kids are the apple of your eye, and you're trying to teach them to be good people and to have good character, and then you send them to university. Are you more likely to send them to a university where they allow something like those encampments to go on month after month, or are you more likely to send them to a university where they say, you know what, we're not tolerating this. Bring the right police in. You have one ugly scene, but it's all dealt with. I'd send my kids to a university that say we're not going to stand for this.
Speaker 2: We'll deal with absolutely.
Speaker 7: And you know, it's so bothersome that the argument from the universities was always well, we don't want to infringe on free speech.
Speaker 1: There's a very different, big difference.
Speaker 7: Between infringing on free speech and actually when it becomes dangerous when Jewish students.
Speaker 1: Are going there to learn.
Speaker 7: It is their freedom, it is their right as Australians to go to these universities to learn and they should be able to do that without feeling like their lives are at risk or feeling completely unsafe. So that there's a very very big difference in the way that the universities have handled themselves has been absolutely appalling. But look, let's move on because I've got to ask the question, can nobody have fun or have a laugh these days without the perpetually outraged, always simply being outrage. Now this all centers around a story with Brisbane Broncostarrhyese Walsh. Now he is currently being investigated by the club after putting out a video on social media on his TikTok account.
Speaker 1: He was with his mates.
Speaker 7: They were having a bit of a fun and we were talking two mates getting together having a laugh doing.
Speaker 1: Whatever boys do.
Speaker 7: I don't know, I've got no idea what that is, but the point is they were mucking around.
Speaker 1: This is what he uploaded. Have a look at this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, two.
Speaker 1: Mates having a laugh.
Speaker 7: Punches is made in the face up, can we just put a disclaimer? Wearing a glove for goodness sake? And the guy on the floor, it didn't look like he was injured. Again, this was two mates having a laugh. But the problem that I have with this is the questioning from the media on this issue. Today Reese faced the media and this is what he said.
Speaker 1: Have a look in his defense, just having a laugh with my mate.
Speaker 8: Obviously, you know we don't support violence and stuff like that. But yeah, it's not a good good look for you know, myself and that or haven't trying to have.
Speaker 7: A laugh and okay, trying to have a laugh. But this line violence, why was violence brought up? In my opinion, that was the line that the Broncos probably said. If you get asked from the media a question about this, just say you do not condone violence, and push on that and push on that. It's got nothing to do with violence. It happened in a private residence. It's toommates consenting to having fun. And yet apparently Reese Walsh was forced to talk about how he's working to be a better person.
Speaker 8: Oh, we're working really hard here to you know, obviously be the best versions of ourselves and be the best footy player. So you know we're working extremely hard. We're behind Madge, supporting him and you know, really excited for the journey. These are these times when it's tough, a sort of the ones that you know, bring the people out and see what we're really made.
Speaker 7: On me, I'm so baffled as to why he's apologizing for this.
Speaker 1: This is ridiculous.
Speaker 7: Now, the footy club this afternoon actually concluded their investigation and they say that he will now need to make a donation to the black Dog Institute and not for profit mental health research organization.
Speaker 1: For his actions, and he's also not.
Speaker 7: Going to be facing any further discipline reaction. Look what blokes, I mean, James, what blokes haven't mucked around? I mean, I don't know if you've ever punched a mate in the face like that, but you know, I just my only criticism would be, maybe don't post it on social media, maybe have a think, keep it between your mates.
Speaker 2: But seriously, come on, did he get you've met my twin boys? I have so Christmas a year ago.
Speaker 3: We're enjoying Christmas afternoon and they got out some boxing gloves and decided to do kickboxing. So I didn punch each other, but kick each other, and I filmed that. Actually I didn't upload it, so I didn't get in trouble. Boys are being boys. But the biggest insult is not to the footballer. The biggest insult is to you and I the public. As if somehow the Broncos or the Karens in NRL headquarters think that we don't understand the difference between boys mucking around and doing what boys do. And you might not like it, and you might think it was inappropriate, but that's the sort of thing that boys do when they get together. But we know the difference between that and violence. So to have him come and stand before the media and say I don't condone violence.
Speaker 2: Should we have every.
Speaker 3: Father who play fights with his kids come out and say I don't condone violence. It's insulting to us. Beyond that, boys will be boys. NRL players are chosen not because they sit around eating SCons and drinking cups of tea.
Speaker 2: NRL players they're chosen.
Speaker 3: Because they run flat out at each other, into each other, risking life and limb. So when they're not playing football, they're the sort of guys so who do punch each other in the face for fun. That's the kind of people they are. And you speak about mental health, consider the mental health of a twenty two year old kid who's dragged before the media, shamed before the media totally has to say that he doesn't condone violence.
Speaker 2: Whatever happened to thoughts about his mental health.
Speaker 3: He's a kid who just happens to be good at football, that's his skill. But then we expect him to be this otherworldly person who's not like a normal twenty two year old. I mean the damage it does for him. And finally, Dinika.
Speaker 2: Before a throat to you, Franks, I can see you're itching to.
Speaker 3: Get Can we please just take a joke these days, to have some fun.
Speaker 5: Well, it's almost like the journalists creating this whole beat up have never watched a game of NRL in their lives.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: That is far more violent, far more aggressive, far more dangerous than this silly little dare with a glove on with the whole group of friends laughing about it, Like, come on, it's the biggest beat up ever it must have been a slow news day for these journalists.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they racket.
Speaker 7: But the questions that the media were actually asking you, because I watched that for press conference, I subjected myself to it. But they were like, are you remorseful? Why did you do it? Should you have done it?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 7: And the guy, I mean, how many times can the guy repeat himself? He had to obviously say that line, we don't condone violence, We don't condone violence, because that was the line that the Broncos would have told him to say. But he's only twenty two. As you said, come on, let boys be boys. The Karens of the community games.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of people watch that press conference Danika, because he's quite a good looking twenty.
Speaker 2: Two year old.
Speaker 1: But not bad.
Speaker 2: All right, let's move on.
Speaker 3: There's a chronic shortage of male teachers in our schools and maybe that's why we're having a bit of problem with boys.
Speaker 2: Check out this.
Speaker 3: Australia's male teacher shortage has sparked calls for how to attract.
Speaker 2: More men into the teaching workforce.
Speaker 3: In primary schools, fe male teachers outnumber male teachers by four.
Speaker 2: Hundred and fifty percent. It's in primary schools.
Speaker 3: In secondary schools it's seventy percent in twenty twenty two in all of New South Wales. Freyer, Guess how many boys graduating from high school in twenty twenty two in this state listed teaching as their number one thing they wanted to do.
Speaker 6: Oh my goodness, two.
Speaker 3: Hundred and ten out of it all the year twelve cohort, two hundred and ten boys said teaching was their number one career choice, and that was twenty four percent less than the year before. A Macquarie University study was done in twenty twenty one and they said, on current projections, by twenty sixty seven, there will not be a male teacher in any school in Australia if.
Speaker 2: This trend continues.
Speaker 3: Now, what's interesting is that education departments and governments right around the country have plans to attract more teachers. Were all aware theneaker of the teacher shortage, and they've got plans to attract more indigenous teachers. But there's not a single plan to attract more males into teaching.
Speaker 2: I think that's a problem. What do you reckon?
Speaker 7: No, I don't think it's a problem. I don't know why we need to attract more males into teaching. In the end, I don't care if you are a male or a female. I don't care who you are, as long as you are the best person for the job, the best person to inspire and teach the young minds the next generation.
Speaker 1: Your gender means absolutely nothing.
Speaker 2: Let me break in.
Speaker 3: Boys and girls are different, right, and especially when they're young, they learn differently, don't you think.
Speaker 7: Okay, that's fine, and I agree in that sense, but I don't think it matters.
Speaker 1: I think it is up to the.
Speaker 7: Best person for the job, the most the best teacher for the job, James. I mean, okay, we sit around and we talk about gender quotas. Yep, Okay, we say no, we don't want gender quotas for women because that's offensive, because a woman should not get a job based on the fact that she's a woman. She should earn it through a merit and earn it through hard work. This is literally the shoe on the other foot. This is basically gender quotas for men.
Speaker 2: No one's calling for quote, I know, but no one's.
Speaker 1: Calling for quotas.
Speaker 7: But I'm saying this is a kin to saying we need more quotas.
Speaker 3: No it's a kin to saying there's a massive disparity here. And we all know that boys learn differently. We all know, especially little boys, their behavior is different. And I think any parent would know, especially if you've got boys, some male teachers in the classroom would be really, really.
Speaker 2: Harmful for their self.
Speaker 7: I would suggest that we look at attracting the best talent. There was a story recently where there are teachers going through the system that when they do their year twelve exams they're eight are they're getting a thirty nine? That is talking about very poor academic performers. The focus should be on how we can attract the best more and put more resourcing into teaching our teachers, not if you're male or female.
Speaker 5: Freyer, what do you think, Well, I think we need to have more Well. I think firstly, before we even talk about male teachers, we need young boys to have positive male role models. And I think that is lacking. The number of children growing up that fathers is increasing, broken homes, and now if they're not even encountering male teachers, you can go, you know, your whole childhood really without encountering a positive male role model. Now, I think that is scary so can male teachers play a role in fixing that for sure? Now, I think one of the challenges in the education system is it has been so feminized that it really benefits girls the way you learn the whole system. But boys they're often written off as undisciplined, rowdy. Let's just put them on ADHD medication so they can be quiet, and I think that that probably trickles through that negative experience of education the boys have going through the system probably means a lot of them are turned off from having the career. Now, my brother actually is training to be at primary school teacher at the moment, bucking the trend. Shout out to Oliver and what it was for him was he was a basketball coach and he never considered teaching, but he loved teaching the kids basketball. And so maybe this is the avenue to recruit more men because eighty percent of sports coaches and men.
Speaker 6: So that could be the jump.
Speaker 5: You go, Hey, you might not have thought about teaching because it is typically a female dominated field, but you actually do like children, you do like seeing them improved, and this is a way you can do it.
Speaker 3: What you said ring is true for me because two boys, one of my boys went through a bit of a difficult patch in primary school.
Speaker 2: He was just naughty and he was.
Speaker 3: Constantly in trouble until he got his first male teacher. And the male teacher was brilliant because he just understood the boy and realized, you know what, he just needs a bit of and instead of just having his tight rain on him, gave him a bit of room. Treated him differently as to the female teachers. Made a massive difference. But the other question we should ask is why don't young men want to do teaching. That's a very interesting question, I think, and there's reasons around that they're so badly paid, but also I think male teachers are desperately afraid of.
Speaker 2: Being accused of doing that thing.
Speaker 3: I read one story of a guy who was in a teaching interview desperately want to be a teacher. In fact, they said why do you want to be a teacher? So I just love young kids, and he said the moment those words left his mouth, the atmosphere in the room changed and he thought, oh.
Speaker 2: I've just said the wrong thing.
Speaker 3: Well, he decided not to continue with teaching based on the reaction in that interview because he thought, do I really want a career where every single.
Speaker 7: Action is takes one student is double guest. Yeah, one student, one student to wreck the life of a male teacher. Absolutely, I think exactly.
Speaker 6: Well, let's move on to the US now.
Speaker 5: Donald Trump is always up to something, and this time he has announced the concepts for his revolutionary air defense system. This is called the Golden Missile Defense Program, and it is pretty incredible.
Speaker 6: What it is is a multi layered system.
Speaker 5: It's going to cost at least two hundred billion dollars and it will have the ability to intercept missiles at every stage of their journey, so it'll be able to detect them before they're even launched. It can shoot them down mid air, and as they're descending onto their targets, they can also shoot them down. Now, the Americans help the Israelis develop their Iron Dome system, which has completely transformed the country. And this is really critical now because we know North Korea now has ballistic missiles. They have successfully tested them and they are able to reach any part of the United States. Iran is about ten years away from achieving space launched into continental ballistic missiles, and those missiles can then be converted into nuclear weapons as well, so this is really the new avenue of warfare. It'll be the first time the US has put weapons into space. But they have to because as well, China and Russia have said they are now building a nuclear power plant in space. I mean, we can't even build one on land in Australia, but Russia and China are building it in space.
Speaker 6: It's pretty incredible.
Speaker 5: So Trump is very excited about this, and apparently Canada is also keen to get involved in the action.
Speaker 6: This is what he had to say about them.
Speaker 9: It's a believial world out there, so this is something that goes a long way towards the survival of this great country. And as they said, we'll be discussing Canada. They want to hook in and they want to see if they can be a part of it, and sort of makes sense.
Speaker 2: I guess that's what I was talking about from day one.
Speaker 9: You know, it just automatically makes sense, and it will be very difficult to do, but they'll pay their fair share.
Speaker 5: If there are intercontinental ballistic missiles coming from space, I think we will all want to be part of the air defense system that stops that.
Speaker 6: Please, let us get in on the action.
Speaker 3: Trump went on to explain how his plan for the Golden Dome was inspired by Israel's Iron Dome.
Speaker 9: Once fully constructed, the Golden Dome will be capable of intercepting missiles even if they are launched from other sides of the world, and even if they are launched from space, and we will have the best system ever built. As you know, we helped Israel with theirs and it was very successful. And now we have technology that's even far advanced from that.
Speaker 2: So it's not going to be the Iron Dome. It's going to be the Golden Dome.
Speaker 3: I think this is where Trump got the idea from Golden Golden Oh.
Speaker 7: Golden dime, Golden cop home.
Speaker 3: Trump is saying that this space system, which really was an idea of Ronald Reagan forty years ago, wasn't We called it star Wars. Everybody said it was impossible, and I suppose forty years ago it was impossible, but the idea was a good one. Israel have proved it, though in a very small area of land with missiles being launched from short range. So the task that Trump is setting is that much greater. It's a huge area he's trying to defend. He's trying to defend against missiles being launched from the other side of the world and from outer space.
Speaker 2: It's going to cost them.
Speaker 3: Here's been all sorts of reports today, from one hundred billion dollars to up to I saw eight hundred billion dollars. But the point is this is the sort of visionary leadership. Yes, that is an investment in the safety of Americans. Everyone calls Trump a warmonger. This is not overseas adventurers, and this is doing something to keep Americans safe.
Speaker 1: Absolutely well.
Speaker 7: Again, this is what Donald Trump was elected on his mandate to make America greater again and to keep Americans safe. And I think good on him because he's getting on with the job.
Speaker 1: And you know, look, it'll be interesting if he can pull it off in that timeframe as well.
Speaker 7: But Donald Trump is really thinking visionary about the future.
Speaker 1: Of warfare, and of course he has to do that.
Speaker 7: I mean, the Pentagon has been warning for you is that the newest missiles that are being developed by both China and Russia are so advanced that updated countermeasures.
Speaker 1: Are needed quickly and urgently.
Speaker 7: It was also interesting I was reading that the Defense Intelligence Agency says that China could a mass dozens of orbiting missiles with nuclear warheads in about ten years time, and that these missiles would be able to get to the United States in significantly less time than conventional intercontinental ballistic missiles. So no wonder Donald Trump is out there trying to move quickly in the event that China or Russia does attack. Now, look, the US does have a number of missile defense capabilities, and of course this Golden Dome, as you mentioned, is akin to Israel's Israel's defense system which has worked really well. There's an interesting statistic that during the twenty twenty one gars A conflict, he must fight about four thousand rockets at Israel and that iron Dome intercepted ninety percent of them, so you can see how successful it is. But this Golden Dome that Donald Trump wants is actually larger, it can cover a larger area, and it is far more sophisticated.
Speaker 1: So you've got Donald Trump forging ahead.
Speaker 7: Here in Australia, we've got a situation where our ADF is struggling with recruitments. They're dealing with people wearing gender neutral uniforms. China's laughing at us while they're developing all their ballistic missiles. The US is getting on with it, and what are we doing? Exposed and they're laughing.
Speaker 2: And that old adage.
Speaker 3: You know, if Trump cured cancer, he'd be criticized for putting on cologists out of work. Trump comes up with this idea, and immediately all the critics come out saying, oh, this is just a way to get money to Elon Musk because of course he'll get the contract, and it's impossible to actually do technologically, and it's going to cost too much. And all the critics come out instead of saying, here's someone who's trying to do something to defend future generations of his countrymen.
Speaker 2: Will it work?
Speaker 3: I don't know, But when you're facing China, Russia, North Korea, Iran, and the world, as Trump says, is getting more and more dangerous, why would you immediately react with criticism rather and saying go ahead. Maybe it's a crazy idea. I don't know, but to your hope that it works, absolutely start with that.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, be proud of what your country is doing to try and protect you. Now, look, we need to talk about COVID vaccines because remember when we were when we were told that we had to get our COVID vaccine. Otherwise we wouldn't be able to go to work, we weren't able to go to restaurants, we weren't able to go to shopping centers, and our lives, which is absolutely tipped upside down.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 7: Look, it's funny how in a couple of years things have really changed because in the US, the Food and Drug Administration over there has now decided to make sweeping changes to the eligibility criteria for COVID booster shots. So and your COVID shots for healthy young adults and children in America will no longer be routinely approved under a very new sweeping policy shift unveiled by the Trump administration. The FDA has released a statement saying that this is intended to create more of a streamlined approach and to quote the FDA Vaccine Division boss been a He says, quote, we're finally falling in line with all the other thoughtful people in the world who think it is ridiculous to give a healthy twelve year old girl her seventh dose without any evidence.
Speaker 1: And we're not saying we're never going to do it. We're just saying, prove to me.
Speaker 2: It helps her before we do it.
Speaker 7: Well, what a stunning sentiment that is, isn't it? I mean, perfectly put, And this is the problem. We've gone from mandates. We've gone from you can't work, you can't go to restaurants, you can't go about your lives, to suddenly it's no longer being approved. And what a slap in the face for those people whose lives were tipped upside down.
Speaker 1: They lost their careers, they weren't able to go to work, they're.
Speaker 7: Still out of a job simply because they didn't get the vaccine in the first place. Now, I'm not saying that these vaccines didn't work, but the facts that it's no longer being recommended really does speak volumes and authorities have a lot to answer for here for shoving the vaccines down our throats during that entire period, and no wonder they lost faith in their authorities.
Speaker 1: And I've got to say prayer. The left of completely freaking out about this.
Speaker 7: I've seen online they're like, how dare you make these recommendations.
Speaker 1: It's Stockholm syndrome.
Speaker 5: And one of the points that was made is that the over promotion of boosters and basically the one size fits all approach to everyone regardless of age one. There's not much science to back that up from a risk benefit perspective. But then also it's created a vaccine fatigue, so the rates of vaccinations for other things have declined. Measles, for example, the vaccination rates fallen from around ninety five percent to ninety two percent, and now there is there are measle outbreaks throughout the US. Two people this year have actually died from measles. These are the first measle deaths since twenty fifteen, and that is because people are now so sick of all of these vaccines that they aren't getting vaccinated at all. And that is the terrifying fact, because vaccines are amazing, especially for these preventable diseases that we now have great vaccinations for, but people are ignoring that, especially for their children, and that's the real danger in this.
Speaker 3: It's amazing the change we've seen in relationship to the COVID vaccine over just a few short years. Let's go to Victoria quickly, where farmers protested this week over the Emergency services levy, which many claim will effectively bankrupt them and mean they'll have to leave their farms. They met outside Victorian Parliament and well, they weren't too complementary to the Victorian Premier over her proposed levee, describing it literally as BS. But not only did they describe it that way, they decided to communicate that to the premier, and so they delivered to the front door of the Premier's office. What I suppose would be described here is a I'm going to call it a pooh parcel. You can see they're very tastefully put it in a night box, wrapped in tissue paper with some pink string, and they included a note that read, dearest Jacinta, I have considered your levy and here's my feedback. It's BS, love, brutus and family. Now what's caused a stink, if I could use that term, is that the farmers who delivered it to the Premier's office were escorted into that area by a couple of liberal MP's. Of course, Jacinta Allen is outraged, and I.
Speaker 10: Say disgraceful, because can you imagine coming into any workplace, coming into a hospital, dumping dumping cow manure on a colleague's desk, going into a factory and dumping that in the tea room.
Speaker 3: Bev McCarthy who was one of the MP's who allegedly helped the poo parcel be delivered, said labor MPs are acting like they've never seen col s before. Maybe they don't get out of Melbourne so much, which is not a bad comeback. Liberal leader Brad Batten said he wouldn't have done it, but the real issue is not the poop parcel, it's what just Sinta Allan is doing to the farmers of Victoria.
Speaker 11: Well, it's not something I would have done, but what I do know is yesterday people were very, very angry when it comes to the new taxes that are impacting on farms across Victoria. There is a reason that thousands of farmers came from all over Victoria with their fire trucks, with their uniforms to explain to the Victorian government that they are fed up with ben the feeding cow for this government's budget.
Speaker 2: They are sick.
Speaker 6: I've been taken granted of.
Speaker 3: Personally, I think just Into Allen should be glad for the pooh parcel. I mean it could be worse.
Speaker 2: She could be a politician in the Netherlands. Have a look at this vision.
Speaker 3: Farmers angry at government policies, well, they spread them and you were around, not in a neatly wrapped parcel Deneava.
Speaker 2: Oh, they just let government official.
Speaker 1: They've had loose, they've let loose.
Speaker 3: I've got to say to me, this stunt in Victoria is sort of more akin to a Greens politician I would have thought than a Liberal.
Speaker 2: Do you think I think got lost in the delivery or no?
Speaker 7: I actually no, I think it's actually pretty funny. And I don't know how just sint to Alan could sit there with it, stand there with it with a straight face. She was very serious and very straight down the light. Come on, look, farmers are angry, and you can see why they're angry.
Speaker 1: It's a bit of a joke. I think, lighten up.
Speaker 5: She needs to learn how to take a joke. And also comparing Parliament to somewhere like a hospital, she ruins lives, whereas hospitals save lives, and she's ruining these farmers' lives. So I think she should be a little more humble, drop the victim complex and laugh at the joke.
Speaker 3: Well, when justin to Ellen laughs at criticism, that will be an interesting day we when we go to a break, when we come back, but look at what's making headlines tomorrow. Barnaby Joyce sways in on the coalition bust up and some good news for the trick that of Alzheimer's, that and more in just a moment.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 3: Let's take a look at tomorrow's headlines and see what we'll be making news on Thursday. The Newcastle Herald goes with the headline Coalition's explosive split. As you can imagine, this is still making news we'll do for the rest of the week, I'm sure, but their angle is comments from Barnaby Joyce, Senior National Party MP. Barnaby Joyce believes his party will be better able to promote issues such as the construction of a nuclear power plant in the Upper Hunter without the constraints imposed by Coalition partnership. Joyce goes on to say the historic split with the Liberal Party was inevitable after the election defeat of the Coalition, and he says it has to be acknowledged. There's a completely different worldview in the Hunter Valley where the Nationals have a very strong representation compared to say Waringa in the northern beaches of Sydney. Fourth time there's been a fracture in the coalition. I think Barnaby Joyce probably makes a pretty good point. Freyer, you're looking at me like you don't agree, But surely it's easier for them to promote their policies without having to cowtow to Liberals who were focused on winning back to Youlsey.
Speaker 5: But it was a Liberal policy at the last election. The Liberals adopted it, and they might be able to talk about it, but good luck ever building it, because you'll never be in government without a coalition with the law.
Speaker 2: To be fair to Barnaby Joyce, the Liberals aren't sure whether they're going to go with it.
Speaker 5: It's under review, but if past election commitment to anything to go by, I don't I'm not buying this whole line that the Liberals are going to chuck out nuclear at all, and so I just think this is him trying to rationalize a very silly decision on the part of the National Party.
Speaker 1: Well, I do hope that Barnaby Joyce is okay.
Speaker 7: I mean, he's obviously getting his cancer treatment and he's probably thinking, thank goodness right now. I'm actually it's not here dealing with this fallout. But I've got to say to be honest. I think he makes a very good point, and I've said this other show last night. The Liberals need to continue with this nuclear policy and they need to get it out there and sell it to the public over the next three years because the Nats cannot do it alone. I do agree on that point. The Nets cannot do this policy alone. It has to be a coalition. They'll probably come together back at some point, but they've got to sell nuclear.
Speaker 3: I think the Nets can't win government alone, that's true, but I think that's also begging on the fact the Liberal Party can't win government without the Nationals.
Speaker 2: That's true, and so there's leverage both ways.
Speaker 6: And that's the reality.
Speaker 5: You have to have nuclear if you want to have any hope of abandoning that zero. So if the Liberals abandoned nuclear, well then they're abandoning that zero as well. And I really don't see that happening. So this is the only path forward.
Speaker 2: Unless the Liberal Party completely embrace renewables, well that would be disased.
Speaker 6: That would be an interesting mood.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't put it.
Speaker 6: We'll wait and see.
Speaker 5: Now let's move on to the Daily Telegraph, where we are in hot Water Tapa funded handouts, combined with poor regulation, have allowed Australian homes to be flooded with dodgy and potentially dangerous hot water systems, a crisis that has been described as pink Bats version two. Industry experts have warned lucrative government discounts which lasts which until last year allowed some new heat pumps to be installed for free, have unleashed cowboy workers who have been selling cheaper Chinese made products to unsuspecting customers.
Speaker 6: I mean, I feel like this is always the way.
Speaker 5: When you start giving out free stuff, you will always have the people that want to jump on that bandwagon and wrought the system. So I can't say I'm particularly surprised, James.
Speaker 3: The Building Commission did inspections and they found of the hot water systems newly installed that they inspected, guess how many were compliant?
Speaker 2: Nine percent? Can you believe that?
Speaker 3: And so they're comparing it to the pink Back's fe yes go and rightly so maybe not as dangerous.
Speaker 2: I don't think as the pink bats, where people died.
Speaker 7: That was really really bad, but still nonetheless like heading into winter, that is very concerning. When you've only got nine percent, that is a very worrying statistic.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I'm actually I'm quite puzzled how it has come to this. I mean, I don't understand how it's actually come to this level.
Speaker 5: And if it's taxpayer funded as well, how are they what is the process for them to get this money?
Speaker 6: How's the funding all working? This seems really dodgy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, clearly, no, I completely agree.
Speaker 7: Let's move on to The Australian for tomorrow a couple of really good stories there. We'll start with self identifying activists undermining genuine Aboriginal democracies. We're Adualie Leader Roy RC, a former Indigenous policy advisor to the Coalition, says self identifying Aboriginal activists frustrated with moderates are breaking apart a statewide network of land councils, threatening one of Australia's few effective Aboriginal demos proceeds. The former co chair of the Prime Minister's Indigenous Advisory Council says activists with fringe ideals are establishing dissident groups to block developments and delegitimize the network of one hundred and twenty one land councils across New South Wales that are by law representative bodies for Indigenous people in specific areas.
Speaker 1: Now, look, he.
Speaker 7: Actually raises quite a very good point our audience. You'd remember that the Blainey Mind decision here in New South Wales where Tanya Plibisec decided to overturn that decision, and that was due to the fact that there was a group of an Aboriginal group about eighteen people said that they didn't want it, and she listened to them as opposed to the actual local.
Speaker 1: Land council there.
Speaker 7: I think from memory it was the Orange Local Land Council said no, it's okay to put the Blaaney mind on that particular patch of land, and royalc has been very vocal about this issue.
Speaker 1: So I think he raises a good point.
Speaker 7: If you're not going to go to the land council and you're going to listen to these fringe groups, then there's never going to be any productivity or development in this country.
Speaker 3: He goes on to say that these self appointed claimants have become so common. Members of land councils around the country now have an acronym sex self appointed Claimants that they use for these people identifying as indigenous and then making claims on various properties. It's just so common it's almost become cliched amongst Land council members themselves.
Speaker 5: And this was part of the concern with the Voice to Parliament. If you establish another one of these bodies, the challenge is that activists have a lot to gain by infiltrating and taking them over and then using them for political purposes or just profit and self promotion, as is the case here. And unfortunately, the people that always suffer from the activist class are the disadvantage, the people who don't have the time or the energy to get onto these councils to fight for themselves, and then they eventually get hijacked by activists.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this is the madness of dividing people up by race, and detain always if I race, because then you've got to do racial tests to work out who's who, who's who exactly?
Speaker 2: Why can't we discribe it then?
Speaker 7: And then but then suddenly you know, there's a rainbow serpent in every river and in every part of the country. So you know, this is why you actually got to go to the right people, not these little fringe groups. Otherwise again, there'll never be any any development in this country now. The other story on the front page of The Australian is Dopitch Morn's for abusive dad.
Speaker 1: Tennis champion Jolena.
Speaker 7: Dokicch's notorious father Demir has died and she says it signals the end of a chapter marred by heartbreaking trauma.
Speaker 1: It's understood he had cancer.
Speaker 7: Demir had been known as the tennis dad from Hell and had reaped havoc, abusive havoc on and off the court for Elena, a talent once heralded as Australia's greatest tennis hope since Evon Gulagong. In a post Instagram, Eulena spoke about the difficult and complicated grief associated with losing her father, who she had not spoken to for over a decade. Look, you know, I remember watching tennis when I was younger and just seeing this play play out. It was it was actually awful to see. They obviously had a very fractured relationship. He was her coach for a very long time, and I remember reading she was just so unhappy and it really really drove her to the brink.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, at one point he knocked her unconscious.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he was.
Speaker 3: She tells in the story she reached number four in the world and even then that was not enough. Of course, her tennis career lifted her family out of poverty. They benefited greatly, but she really never had that relationship with her father. He passed away. It's been a decade since she last spoke to him. But I must say, if you read that article in The Australian tomorrow, what comes through is a woman who on the inside she's not embitted, she's not enraged. She sounds like someone who's really come through that and kept a soft heart through it all. And full credit to her, she's got incredible strength to the landa Dockic. It was just a great Australian And that's.
Speaker 5: Always the challenge in these scenarios, Like obviously he was horribly abusive, but he was also her father, and so as a human being processing both of those emotions at once at a time like this, I really feel for it and I hope she's doing well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, all right, before we go to a break, some good news on the front page of Tomorrow's Melbourne Herald's son Hope for Rescuing Memories, reads the headlines.
Speaker 2: This is an exclusive story by Robin Riley.
Speaker 3: A new drug to treat the early stages of Alzheimer's disease has now been approved for use in Australia. The drug is made by pharmaceutical giant Ellie Lilly and already in use in the US, the UK, China and Japan. It's been widely tested in clinical trials here in Australia and the drug's approval has just been given.
Speaker 2: So we flagged this. I think it was a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 3: There were some stories doing around saying this was likely to happen, and of course Alzheimer's disease, which affects so many people so tragically, I can imagine people would be grasping for any hope and a glimmer of hope for treatment with people suffering.
Speaker 1: It's fantastic here, it really, really is.
Speaker 7: Any sort of cure for this awful, awful disease is wonderful.
Speaker 6: And it's also just so encouraging.
Speaker 5: Whenever I see these feats of human progress, it's like, go humanity. We actually are capable of incredible breakthroughs. This would be unimaginableter generations passed so good on these scientists.
Speaker 3: Well, speaking of incredible breakthroughs and hope for humanity and inspiring deeds. Wait until you hear about the French world record.
Speaker 2: We're going to show you after the break.
Speaker 3: Well, an unusual crime in the western suburbs of Melbourne, and I'm not sure how committed police are to solving this one. Back in April, some bella clava wearing men stole a fiberglass cow statue called Betsy from outside a business. Now Betsy, as you can see there, you can see the bella clava wearing men grabbing Betsy and they load it onto the back of a ute and take off with it.
Speaker 2: Betsy's work about three and.
Speaker 3: A half thousand dollars. So police are appealing for help to find Betsy and return her to her owner. I say, I'm not that sure police are really that serious, because listen to the police media release. They say that it's a quote high stakes theft. They say that the thieves move Betsy, and they go on to say that the owners are utterly devastated. I think the police are having a little too much fun making dad jokes rather than finding the thieves. But there, you know, if you know anything about Betsy's whereabouts, call the Victorian police interrupt their pun festives.
Speaker 5: And going to the effort of dressing up in your balaklava, getting your hold in commodore out driving down to steal this piperglass cow.
Speaker 7: It's strange and I mean just a vision of that cow on the back of a trail going down that road.
Speaker 1: Iconic.
Speaker 5: Now, in other iconic news, a small town in western France has broken in the world record for the greatest number of Smurf costumed.
Speaker 6: People gathered whoa one place.
Speaker 5: They had more than three thousand people come out for this event, which took place in a town of only sixteen thousand people. So that town is really punching above its way. Now, this record was previously held by a German town that reached the unassailable number of two thousand, seven hundred smurfs back in twenty nineteen. But alas, the French have conquered once again. Now one smurfett said, we have smurfed the record, and another one, an eighty two year old, said a friend encouraged her to join, and she thought, why not. It's giving the French junasqua.
Speaker 6: Why not dress up in a smurf.
Speaker 1: Oh fry, I mean ripping out the frame.
Speaker 6: I didn't high school French for nothing.
Speaker 1: Well, what is that in French? It's at stromps.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I prefer prays.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm gonna I'll see myself out now.
Speaker 3: Today I'm so hard about this is it's the third time they tried to break the Smurf record. They tried in twenty twenty failed on a technicality, tried in twenty twenty three, failed because of rain, but they finally achieved fame and fortune for their town and Fray. Your parents will be thrilled to hear your friends being used to such good effect.
Speaker 2: That's my stick around. Coming up is the read a Pennanty show. Good Night,