Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Thursday, April to twenty twenty six. We're all in this together. Sound familiar. Anthony Albanezi made and addressed to the nation asking everyone to play their part in responding to the economic crisis created by war in the Middle East.
Speaker 2: These are uncertain times, but I'm absolutely certain of this. We will deal with these global challenges the Australian way, working together and looking after each other as we always have.
Speaker 1: All our analysis of that is live right now at the Australian dot com dot au. Big AI wants Australia's creativity for free. The artificial intelligence giant Anthropic, which makes the chatbot Claude, has signed an agreement with the Albanezy government about AI safety and about potentially building giant data centers here. But there's a catch. Anthropic and other AI companies want to be allowed to hoover up all Australia's creative works for free. That's books, music, journalism, architecture, dance, indigenous cultural knowledge art. It's even triggered a fight inside the government today. What's fair when it comes to AI? James Madden is the Australian's media editor and James Ware here today to talk about an issue that seems quite complicated but I think is actually very simple. Dario Amiday, who's one of the world's most powerful AI billionaires, is here in Australia lobbying federal politicians.
Speaker 3: What does he want?
Speaker 4: What he wants, Claire, is basically access to the creative content owned by Australian artists, musicians, journalists, authors, screenwriters and news media outlets. And the reason he wants that content is so he can fuel his AI engines, which is obviously at the core of anthropics business model.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So around the world, AI companies are training their models to understand society so that they can give you and me good answers when we ask them questions. I hear one of the senior executive of Universal Music describing this the other day. A lot of creative companies, like music labels, are looking at making deals with AI companies so that the R companies can use the copyright of their artists. He used the example of Billie Eilish, he was signed to one of Universal's labels, and he said the potential is amazing. Let's say it's a cloudy, rainy afternoon, you're going to go for a half an hour run. You're a big Billie Eilish fan, but there's nothing really in her catalog that quite suits the mood or the time that you want. And you want a pretty neat playlist that you don't have to do much too. You could interact with an AI that has some and to deal with Billie Eilish and is paying her to create a playlist for you that's curated just for you. It's Billy Eilish music. She hasn't actually created it, but she has licensed the AI to do it for her. You get this perfect half an hour moody soundtrack. So that's a really positive use of AI, right, And that's the way that deals could be made and are being made already. I don't think Billy Eilish has signed one herself, and so I thought I'd test that a little bit. What's the flip side of that? And are they already doing it anyway without Billie Eilish's permission. So I asked chat, GBT and Google's Gemini to tell me what the big themes are in Billie Eilish's music. I've asked our producer Christian Amio to read me what they said. What was the answer from chat GBT Chrissy.
Speaker 5: So chat GBT came back and said that Billie Eilish's known for weaving a handful of distinct emotional and conceptual themes through her music. They include mental health and inner struggles, darkness, fear and the macabre love, heartbreak and toxic relationships, identity and self image, fame in its downsides, and there is actually seven quite distinct themes given here by chat GPT.
Speaker 1: It gave me a little emoji for each of those two, which.
Speaker 5: Did just in case you are unsure as to what the flame emoji should be alongside.
Speaker 1: And that took about three or four seconds. So then I thought, okay, what if I'm a lipstick designer, but I want to use Billie eilish kind of style themes for my new lipstick collection. So I asked chat gpt to give me some Billie Eilish inspired lipstick names for my six lipsticks in my collection, and here's what it gave me. So the one that jumped out to me was called Ocean Eyes Glow because Ocean Eyes is one of Billie Eilish's best known songs. It is arguably the song that launched her onto the global stage.
Speaker 5: There's also Quite Chaos, which chat GBT suggests captures her inner conflict, themes ideal for a cool move or a gray toned pink. There's Faded Dream, which is a soft, melancholic tone, great for a muted nude or dusty row.
Speaker 1: So there we go. I know that chat GPT is not paying Billie Eilish anything, it hasn't come to a licensing agreement with her, and yet it is able to give me a business plan for my fictional lipstick empire. That for me is an example of how badly this can go wrong and how they're already using creative works to power their engines. What's the risky for Australian artists.
Speaker 4: Well, the risk for Australian artists is basically that they will lose ownership of what is theirs. That is their content, They own it, that's their lifeblud. So for them to have that stolen from under their nose should the AAI companies wish come to pass, would have potentially catastrophic consequences for the news industry, the music industry, the screenwriting industry, individuals and news companies as a whole.
Speaker 1: So they're clearly already doing it. And Dario Amiday, the CEO of Anthropic, is here ostensibly to talk about AI safety, about helping Australia develop a safe protocol, something that Anthropic talks a lot about. Also to investigate the potential for giant data centers to be built here. Australia already has more than one hundred data centers. They consume about as much electricity as one hundred thousand homes according to the International Energy Agency, So they're big investments that the AI companies would say are helping the economy grow. But there's a caveat right. What do the AI companies want in return for bringing their investment here?
Speaker 4: Well, what they want is an easing of Australia's copyright laws. And as it stands, the Australian government has held firm on protecting our copyright laws. And the reason why the AO companies want these laws to be eased is so they can effectively mine creative content to train their machines.
Speaker 1: Here's Dario Amiday on stage in Canberra on Wednesday.
Speaker 3: I do think rights orders how legitimate cleans here and you know, we're you know, we're kind of more here to talk about. You know, how can we how can we arrive at an arrangement that works for everyone and you know, leave everyone better off. Like I would generalize to the point of, if we're able to generate voutepenopment growth with AI, you know, it's it's a standard you know, economic growth thing, making the pie figure, and then there's more that we can get to everyone.
Speaker 4: It's a bit of a charm offensive that Daria has been undertaken is in Cambra to meet with the Treasurer and potentially the Prime Minister as well. It's not a memorandum of understanding with the government. It doesn't mean much in and of itself at this point, but what it does to potentially is give Anthropic a foot in the door of Australia. At the moment they're saying we'd like to engage in health research, assist with the agricultural industry, financial services, this is a mask. What they want is the content, the creative content of Australian artists, because that is their business model. That is what feeds and fattens their AI training models, and that is how they make their profits.
Speaker 1: So companies, including News Corp Australia, which publishes The Australian. I've strongly opposed to this, and so are the bodies representing musicians and writers and screenwriters and so on and architects. They say there's nothing wrong with the copyright laws. Now, let's say, James, you had written a book about the Man from Snow River. I loved your book so much that I wanted to create a range of jackets inspired by your book. Presently, under the copyright law, I would have to come to a licensing agreement with you. Then I could market it as the James Madden Man from Snow River Jacket Collection. It's a good idea. Maybe we should actually do this. Yeah, they don't want to have to do that. They don't want to have to pay or agree with creators about what their works would be used for. So they could hoover it up and then spit it out again, like in ellipstick collection or a jacket collection, and you would have no say whatsoever. And Toropic is worth five hundred and fifty billion dollars, these other companies are worth billions. Why would they try to object to paying what is going to be a relatively small amount in copyright agreements, we'd say news publishers or artists.
Speaker 4: Countries like Australia, for example, they're not saying AI companies be gone, you have no business here. In fact, quite the opposite country, like Australia, we're open for business. You'll find the music industry and the news industry and the screenwriting industry all saying the same thing. Please, let's engage. Let's sit down in good faith and have good faith negotiations. Because AI is here to stay and it's a reality. I don't think anyone's overlooking that fact. The issue in terms of recompense is that unless licensing deals are honored and struck, then it's almost impossible to clawback content and copyright that has been stolen. Once it's stopped, it's gone. It's out there, it's digested by the wider world, and there's no way of making a fair claim back.
Speaker 1: Coming up. Are the AI giants already getting away with it? Chrissy. Every day you and I use a couple of AI tools as a kind of enthusiastic assistant. You know, that's the way we've been trained to use them here at News Corp. It's like use them as your annoying but enthusiastic assistant. They'll give you too much, and they'll give you the wrong things and keep prompting them so that they can actually help you do your work. We don't ever use them to write something that we actually publish. So every day we ask Google's Gemini to think of a couple of episode titles for us. What's your take on what it gives back to us?
Speaker 5: I find, by and large, it tends to veer into cliche and flattery. More often than not. It will start by giving you a spiel about how great your script is, and it's like, well, thank you, bet I already knew that. It will generate a lot of things that could be the title of an episode of any podcast, and any one of our competitors for that matter.
Speaker 1: It looks to me like it's trained on the New York Times and the Washington Post, and it's got that style of headline writing, which is very it's a bit pompous. You know, there's usually ten words, there's a semi colon in the middle somewhere. We ask Google's Gemini to come up with a title for this episode. Do you want to read us some of the options that it came back.
Speaker 5: With the content collapse. Is AI digestion killing original creation? Question mark code versus canvas? The existential threat to the creative class.
Speaker 1: There's a colon in the middle of all these heads.
Speaker 5: There is Yes, there is no singular sentence anywhere here? Whose art is it? Anyway? AI copyright and the death of the author and stolen sentences? How AI is stripping news rooms bear So I don't know if there's something you haven't told us there, but that's somewhat concerning for me.
Speaker 1: That's clearly been trained on American newspapers. I don't think that's as a result of a licensing deal that I would have to pay if I decided to start using New York Times headlines in my work. So they're already getting away with it. Is it too late?
Speaker 4: Well, I hope not. But the scales are tipping in favor of AI companies because it is hard to regulate. This is hard. There's a lot out there on the Internet already on the so called open web, that can be mined by these AI companies, but they want it all. The reason they wanted all is because it's best for their models. But is it too late.
Speaker 1: No, No, there's clearly a split within the government. Michelle Roland, the Attorney General, gave a very rousing speech last week in which she said that the Government is never going to capitulate to a request to exempt these works from copyright for text and data mining, which is what the AI companies want. But there are other ministers like Andrew Charlton, who's the Assistant Minister responsible for the Digital Economy. He's clearly much more interested in going AI's way right.
Speaker 4: Look, he's been quite vocal in championing the positives of data centers AI data centers in Australia, for example. But I suppose where it gets murky for mister Charlton and others is that it's one thing to promote data centers, but if you're compromising the copyright of your artists and your journalists and your musicians, then it's almost like once the genie is out of the bottle, it's gone.
Speaker 1: James Madden, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 1: James Madden is The Australian's Media editor. You can read all our journalism, produced by real people right now at the Australian dot com dot au