Speaker 1: Avoidance works temporarily where you're like trying to make out that you're busy, but you're just avoiding the actual thing you need to be doing. Temporarily, the anxiety drops and you feel better, so your brain goes perfect, let's do that again, And that is negative reinforcement. The relief literally trains you to keep avoiding except the task still there, and now you've stacked, you're.
Speaker 2: On top of it.
Speaker 1: Ever since I can remember, I've always had crippling anxiety and issues with starting the most simple tasks. Like I remember being a kid and you know, looking at my messy room and it feeling like a mountain of a task and just not knowing where to start. Or it could be something just so simple, like having to do one little thing. And I've noticed this more as an adult. And the thing is with this, I for some reason, I struggle most with the most simple task, things that take me five minutes. It could be like a messy draw or just like ringing the doctors to book an appointment. And for so so long until I really understood my brain better, I thought it was a flaw. I just thought I was lazy. But when you zoom out, you know, most of us that feel like we're lazy, we're anything but lazy.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: We have the families, we have the careers, we have all these things going on. We're usually the types of people that can't sit still. So was I really lazy or is it just how my brain's made up? And I'm sure you understand this feeling. It's that one task that you've been putting off for so long now that it's just grown into that mountain that I remember when I was a kid. And once you realize it isn't actually the task itself, it's the emotion. It's the potential of the outcome of the task that usually is a thing that holds us back the most, then you'll realize how you can actually work with your brain.
Speaker 2: And not against it.
Speaker 1: And it's not even that you can't be bothered doing the thing. It's usually like this sense of dread. For me, I've just always dreaded certain tasks. And you know, I was diagnosed with add when I was six years old, and you think by but you know, being diagnosed so young, and as a female back then, it like I would have figured it out by now. But the thing is, I'm still working it out even till this day, and you're an underneath it all. For some reason, I will dread sending an email, but I'll go and retoll the bathroom. And underneath it all, there's a little voice that's saying, why is this so hard for me? Why can't I physically bring myself to do this thing? And as your day goes on, it grows and grows. It kind of just like hovers it. It adds to your mental load and it feels like you're just carrying it around in like a backpack that continues to get heavier and heavier.
Speaker 2: But it has taken me until thirty five.
Speaker 1: Years old until now to realize that it's not a productivity thing, it's not a discipline thing.
Speaker 2: It's a brain thing. By the end of today's episode, you're going to understand.
Speaker 1: Why you've physically dread certain tasks and why you do tend to put them off, and why you're actually not afraid of the task itself. And I'll give you the real psychology behind you know, the sayings of eat the frog and you know, making your bed first thing in the morning, and why these things sometimes actually work or they do work, and it doesn't come down to discipline these are This is just the one hack. Honestly, this one hack I'm sharing with you today is something that will impact your entire day and it also will just help you be able to start moving through life doing what you see is hard much much easier and with a lot less friction.
Speaker 2: This episode isn't about getting more done.
Speaker 1: It's about being able to, you know, go through your days without having this thing hovering behind you, without you feeling like a failure or that you're lazy, or that you're just different to everyone else who seems to all be able to get their life admen done or do the little tasks. And you're going to be able to feel much much lighter by doing this one thing. But first, a little life update, and this is what brought on this episode.
Speaker 2: So I'm finding now.
Speaker 1: With my girls at their ages, they're eight and ten, they are going through hurdles that you know, obviously toddlers and little people don't really go through. And I've always said I didn't understand this saying until now where they say little people, little problems, big people, big problems, And now that they're becoming bigger, I'm finding the advice I'm giving them I'm needing to take myself and it's always at the right time. So recently I've touched on this last week, but one of the girls is struggling a little bit with anxiety, and you know, I'm finding that both girls, with certain things they do in the morning can create a lot of friction for them, and that if things aren't done a certain way or followed a certain way in the morning, or health breaks loose, really for everyone involved, it's not a good time. It's not a good time at the Pace household. So I've really implemented a morning routine for the girls that you know, things change that really suits their lives and their phase right now. And this thing has honestly made them so much more confident little people, especially with one of them going through anxiety at school, like it's made her so much more confident.
Speaker 2: Anyway, So how it came about.
Speaker 1: Was the girls had speeches to do, and well they're both quite you know, you know, a bit anxious about it, and they kept talking about the speech and realistically, like obviously as a kid, like writing speech and stuff with your parents or even without can seem like a daunting task. But you know, we've done a few, Well, you do a speech like once a year or once a term, and it doesn't take us long.
Speaker 2: It takes us like fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: Anyway, the girls were talking about this for weeks and weeks, and one morning they woke up and one of the girls was just very very stressed about this speech and I was like, well, just do the hard thing first. She's like, what do you mean, mum, And I said, well, first thing in the morning. Your brain doesn't really know what's going on yet. It's like you know how you know? For example, as I said, the task that we put off, it gets bigger as the day goes on. But if you do that thing first, there's less time to build that resistance and that friction and overthink things. So I said, do the hard thing first. It's like ripping the band aid off. And because with the way our brains you know, are in the morning, if we do the one task you put off first thing a you have less time to think about it and actually do it. And also that will mean you're less judgmental of the outcome, because I know, for me, there's certain things I do in my business. I'm like, I cannot do that in the middle of the day because I will rip it to shreds.
Speaker 2: But if I do it in the.
Speaker 1: Morning or even at night, I'm better at it for some reason, because I'm not judging it so much. But number two, if you do the hard thing first, everything after that is easier. And when I say hard thing, I don't just mean doing a big scary thing, I mean like it could be sending an email, but because that email carries a lot of weight.
Speaker 2: For you, that's hard.
Speaker 1: So if you prove to yourself I can do hard things, everything else for your day is going to be easier. So once I said this to the girls that morning, I said, why don't let's just get this speech done. Let's do the hard thing first, And then they did it, and honestly, there they look like they were free. They're on holidays, because when you think about it, we're so tied down by the things and how to do list. I you know, I think that's why I'm so much into AI for certain things, is because I really struggle to start tasks and they weigh on me so heavily. We all know about the mental load. We all have the mental load, but so much of our mental load is taken up by things that we can just tick off so easily. So now, obviously the girls don't have a speech to write every day, but I've started getting the girls and I'm going to do a whole episode on this. I'm getting the girls more involved in helping with the household now that they're older. I'm like, you can actually be involved, not and I'm not just saying clean your room, I mean like.
Speaker 2: Actually help contribute.
Speaker 1: So part of the girl's morning routine now is they unstack the dishwasher. And I thought there was going to be a lot of friction with this, but there hasn't been, and honestly, I think in their minds because it's making them feel like big girls. It gives them a responsibility. They both have so much more confidence, and they're all so much easier to get other cleaning things done, like clean your room and things like that. So that's part of our routine now. And let me tell you, it's made my life easier as well. But yeah, just like the change, and the girls like their confidence, the way they carry themselves, the way that they seem so much lighter because now they're doing even if it's unloading the dishwasher, they're doing a hard task first, and it made me realize that this isn't just a kid thing, this is a human thing, and we just need to start relearning these tricks and things.
Speaker 2: As we go as adults.
Speaker 1: Now, the whole thing with the kids also made me go out and start posting this little series. Now, as you guys know from one of my past episodes, I do this thing once a month called to Get Shit Done Day, and that's a prime example of doing the hard things, even if a hard thing means literally doing the washing. Now I have one get shit Done day a month. One is a life admin task, one is a quick win, and one thing is that annoying task you've been putting off. Now, realistically, doing these three things could take you half an hour because you know, a life admin task could be ordering online groceries, an annoying toss you've been putting off could literally be cleaning out the car, and a quick win could be just doing something simple like making a healthy meal. So that is an example of what it get shited Done day can look like. Now, once a month, I will post my get Shit dun Day in what I do. So if you don't follow me on Instagram already to make sure you do. But I started including on these posts the time I spent avoiding this task and then the time it actually took to do the task. And it's pretty funny when you look at it, because it will say time avoided for most things. Like one was cleaning my office which was last month, and I think I avoided that task for ret least three or four months, and it took me like forty five minutes or something. And then another one was I think for this month was clean out my handbag and I avoided that task for six months and it took me five minutes. Like and you need to remember to you, every time you see that task that you keep pushing back and pushing back, that's you could be in like such a good mood and it's gonna instantly bring you down and fill you with you know, a lot of emotions. And again like, it's not the task itself, it's the emotions to to it. Now this might surprise you, but for me, one really hard task, and I've struggled with this for a long time is social media posts.
Speaker 2: Yes, so literally the thing I.
Speaker 1: Somehow used to be able to do without any pressure on myself.
Speaker 2: Like I remember back when I started.
Speaker 1: For years, I would just post whatever, and I know, like social media has changed a lot, so it's kind of valid as well because when I back in my day, we would literally post a photo and then I'd write a really long caption because I just love writing, So that's kind of where it stemmed from for me. And also the blog, so there wasn't like a whole big production needed. And now when you're scrolling, there's like so many reels and there's so much happening and it's very overwhelming. And for me, I actually don't really scroll socials anymore because it just for me, it's like a reminder of work and things I should be doing, and I just don't enjoy it as much anymore. So I end up I'm not perfect. I scroll like Amazon and shit, like I do other dumb shit on the internet, but social media is not like a big thing I do at the moment. I do love a good like rabbit hole search, so like especially in Reddit. I love Reddit at the moment. But for me, you'd think for me, posting would be second nature. And if I'm really honest, I'm not scared to make the post. I'm scared to post the post. What I'm scared of is the outcome. You see, I have, sadly still have high expectations of myself, which I'm working on.
Speaker 2: But that is a bit of a second nature to me.
Speaker 1: So I'm not scared of creating, going in in Canva and putting some things together, which I wish it was that quick. I'm not scared of actually making a post. I'm scared of the outcome, my emotion attached to it, the possibilities of the outcome, like could it go shit?
Speaker 2: Could it go good?
Speaker 1: And it's just like I will constantly put it off, you know, I'm scared that it's not going to land the same way as it does in my head. I might think the post is a banger and it goes shit, and then it's always the post that take you two seconds you don't think about that go off. So I finally figured out I wasn't avoiding the task, I was avoiding the feeling because I'm a perfectionist. Like for example, another thing I tend to avoid is which is not good is certain health appointments. Now, as you guys know, I have a lot of health anxiety from my childhood and things like that, So I figured out that I will always put off anything health related, but I still look when I say that, I don't do it for too long, but I will really struggle with it, like I'll do it because I know I have to, but it's painful for me, Like it's painful. But this is where you can also kind of start, you know, recording things you're avoiding for how long, but how long they actually take you because what that is that creates evidence and receipts to show you that it's actually not that bad. It's funny how I will greatly underestimate how long tasks can take. Like, you know, if I'm feeling like a bit optimistic that day, I'd be like, oh, yeah, I can record a podcast in five minutes.
Speaker 2: Of course I can't.
Speaker 1: But if I'm having a day or maybe I'm not feeling super comfort in things, and obviously being on camera and recording yourself can be putting yourself out there. If I'm in my lude, your phase, you bet I'll be like, no, that's going to take me six hours to record a five minute podcast, which obviously don't do five minute podcasts.
Speaker 2: But you get my gist. So what I want you guys to do at home.
Speaker 1: This is going to be your first takeaway for helping you guys do the hard thing. First is I want you to keep like a little notebook or even the notes in your notes app. But I do warn you they will get lost in the little universe in your phone. But keep a little reference point of things you avoid and then how long they actually take you. And have you ever noticed once you've actually done the thing you've been putting off for so long, you feel so bloody good. You're like, I can do anything now, Just like my kids in the morning, once they did the dishwasher and they did their speech, They're like, this, my life is so easy, Like look what I just did.
Speaker 2: You have so much more self confidence.
Speaker 1: And that comes with like I said last week in my episode, self trust comes from doing the things you said you would. That's where you get confidence from. So the more you can work that muscle and do the thing, the easier it gets.
Speaker 2: And it also does come from like the unknown, like our.
Speaker 1: Brain will protect us from things that you know, doing things that has an outcome we are not sure or that we don't know about. So that's why you know you don't maybe you know, starting a new job you have never been in like that feels terrifying, or even like public speaking, because our brain's like, no, we don't do this every day. This isn't safe, and that's when the anxiety kicks in. But if you can do the thing improve to yourself, you can do hard things and actually be pretty good at them. You might just learn a new skill and you will start getting way more confident. Like, for example, I was never able to do public speaking, which is wild, like I would at Uni. I've told you guys this story that's in my book, which also you need. You guys need to grab Mastering my Messy Life. I think I need a version two already good Mastering my Messier Life, because somehow it just keeps getting messier. But yeah, I would when I was at UNI doing my degree, I would literally have to go to the Unibar and skull Beer to do any type of pub speaking. And now here I am. I have a podcast with Nova, I go on TV. I do love events like I'm literally speaking at an event on Friday, and yes, I will be angry, like nervous, but I've proven to you myself I can do hard things and that is a receipt for me. So whenever I get nervous about this thing, I look at the receipts and be like, dude, you can do this in your sleep. Now, when I was doing research with this podcast, I came across the term avoidance loop.
Speaker 2: Now, avoidance loop is basically.
Speaker 1: When you know, when you've got this thing to do, but you will do anything else you can think of to seem busy, to trick yourself into feeling like what you're doing is okay and it's productive, instead of doing the actual thing.
Speaker 2: And that's called an avoidance loop.
Speaker 1: And that's what makes avoidance so sneaky is it's not you sitting around doing jackshit. It's you looking busy to self consciously like trick yourself and being like, I don't I don't have time to do the one thing I'm avoiding because I have all these other things to do instead. But you know, you're just making that task grow and grow and grow. You know, you answer the emails, you clean the kitchen, you're making the lunches for your kids, which is all well and good, but hey, you've got that project due literally at three pm, bro. And then, sadly, because we need pressure to actually do the thing you're going to have a little punic attack later and really regret not doing the thing earlier, you know, And I know this whole episode is pretty ironic considering you know, I own a planner company and a planer brand. But I think that's why I'm always just being so big on the reason why I make the types of planners and tools I do. It's because it's for messy minds. It's to help you organize the overwhelm. Like so many other planned companies and brands, which are all gorgeous as well, but they really are marketed towards type A people, to the people who maybe they don't have avoidance sloops every day, maybe that's like once a month, but for me, that's a daily battle, and it really is debilitating. And I can't tell you how much I'm just so passionate about these topics and just normalizing that not all of us can just be dissap every day or even feel like that. Here's a little stat though, that will make you feel much better. So researchers have found that we're genuinely terrible at predicting how bad something's going to feel. We overestimate it every single time, So you imagine like the awkward conversation that interview, maybe like presenting something anything, it's going to be terrible, and then when you actually do the thing, you're like, oh, that was easy, and then you spent like three weeks losing sleep and just having a shit time over something that was so simple. But unfortunately, as much as we know that, we tend to do it with all the things we put off.
Speaker 2: This leads me to the science on what our brain does. Now.
Speaker 1: Everyone treats procrastination like a time management will power problem, but it's actually an emotion management problem. So think about that social media post I was putting off and the post I put off like I had the programs, I had the knowledge, I've done this for years, and I still didn't do it because time was never the issue. This is just is like my way of viewing the tasks. And there were two psychologists that actually reframed this for me. They found procrastination is basically short term mood repair. So when a task makes you feel something uncomfortable, your brain goes make that feeling go away now, and the fastest way to do that is just to not do it.
Speaker 2: So it's instant relief and here's the cruel twist.
Speaker 1: Avoidance works temporarily, So those avoidance loops I was talking about where you're like trying to make out that you're busy, but you're just avoiding the actual thing you need to be doing. It's negative reinforcement. So temporarily the anxiety drops and you feel better, so your brain goes perfect.
Speaker 2: Let's do that again, Hence the avoidance loop.
Speaker 1: And when you do find new tasks to do, they have nothing to do with the urgent thing, and that is negative reinforcement.
Speaker 2: The relief literally trains you to keep avoiding except the.
Speaker 1: Task still there, and now you've stacked guilt on top of it. So if you've ever tried to fix procrastination with a new schedule or even a new planner, and look, I sell planners, I know this, you've been treating a feeling problem with a time management problem. And there's also a very good reason why the mental load and the thing you put off for so long.
Speaker 2: Feels so heavy.
Speaker 1: It's because there's a psychologist who discovered in the nineteen twenties that your brain holds onto unfinished task and keeps them running in the background like open tabs on a laptop. So finished tasks it drops. You close the loop, it drops, but unfinished ones keep going. And that for me is like the post sitting in my draft. It's all the videos and reels are filmed and I haven't edited, which I again, that's something I need to like.
Speaker 2: Work on because I haven't posted a bloody real in ages.
Speaker 1: So the task you're avoiding with these avoidance loops and looking like you're busy, it's not sitting quietly in the corner of your mind at all. It's running in the background of your brain all day long. And it's also draining your battery. And then you also don't get the satisfaction of actually doing the thing. But here's a little hack. Now you don't actually have This is a bit of a shortcut, but you don't actually have to do the thing to feel relief. One proven way to get some instant relief is actually just writing things down, because the more we try to hold in our brain that also makes it heavier. As I said, we can't treat our brain like a Google drive. It's not made for that.
Speaker 2: We can only remember. I think it's like three to five things at once.
Speaker 1: Now, the hardest part of any task It isn't the middle, it's the beginning.
Speaker 2: It's starting. That is the wall.
Speaker 1: That is the main thing that you just can't bring yourself to do. And for ADHD brains especially, our task initiation.
Speaker 2: Is absolutely terrible.
Speaker 1: It's not a good time, especially if you're someone who works like at a desk job and all your stuff's online. You know, I compare that to something.
Speaker 2: That Ryan does.
Speaker 1: He builds, he'll build a house, he'll build whatever, and he can see the physical outcome. But for us who work on the Internet, it goes off into the bloody world Wide Web and you don't see it again. Like, yes, you'll see the post and it might give you satisfaction for a second if it goes well up to your expectations, but otherwise it just disappears. So the outcome satisfaction just isn't there as much as maybe like cluttering a draw. So this is how you beat the wall of starting. You do the hard thing first, as all as people say eat the frog. This works because if you do it first thing, it's before your brain can start giving you a list of reasons why you shouldn't do the thing, before it can tell you and build up that wall. So you essentially will beat your own excuses to the door if you get in early. And it also helps reduce the decision fatigue that builds up throughout the day and also a really low mental battery that you'll get later on if you keep avoiding it. Now, now let's say it's first thing in the morning. You're like, Okay, I'm going to do the hard thing first, and you're still struggling. This is where we're going to do the doable start. Just like related to my doable glow up. This is a doable start. So say you have a large task, I just want you to write down the micro steps involved in that task. One thing for me that I struggle with is returning like clothes that don't fit me. So there's micro steps. I've got to get the piece of clothing and put it back in its packet.
Speaker 2: I've got to go.
Speaker 1: Onto my emails find the original order, I find the order number, and then go onto the website and do it lodge your return thing, and then take it to the post office. So I'm just going to write those steps down, and what we're going to do is a doable start, is just doing the first thing, because you'll find Once you have the task broken down into micro steps in front of you, that's your map. You don't have to try and make decisions within there and be like, what's next, what do I do now?
Speaker 2: It does the thinking for you.
Speaker 1: And bonus points if you actually can write this list out for yourself the night before, so first thing, you know, as soon as your feet hit the floor. Honestly, I will even some days if I'm struggling, I won't even do my journaling or anything. I will just get the thing done and I will rip off the band aid.
Speaker 2: And that's where.
Speaker 1: It's all tied to making your bed first thing in the morning. When you make your bed first thing in the morning. Why everyone is so you know about this, it's because straight away, when your brain is still in a certain state, you are showing yourself we finish things here, we complete tasks.
Speaker 2: It gives you a.
Speaker 1: Sense of accomplishment super early in the morning, so everything else, because if you get nothing else done that day, at least you made your bed. At least you did one task. And it also obviously helps with that tidy space as well. And the amazing thing is by finishing a small, doable task, it gives your brain to hit a dopamine, which makes the rest of the things for the rest of the day much easier as well. Hack number two to doing the hard thing first if you're struggling is don't name the task, name the feeling or emotion behind it. So for me, when it comes to socials, if I'm really struggling, I'll be like, Okay, what am I actually feeling here? It's not like I'm going to forget that I have to do a post. I'm feeling apprehensive. Why And you dig into it and you ask yourself why, And I'll be like, why because I want it to go well? Why because it's important for the business. Why because my business, you know, takes care of my family. Why because I'm passionate about what I do and I want to help people. Why because I'm a good person. See how it kind of turned around somehow I went downhill and then we came back up there. So when you can kind of reframe the thing into an emotion and turn that into a good emotion, it's really going to help you get that momentum and be like, this is my thing, this is my why. And hack number three is to shrink the thing, just do that thing for two minutes, just two minutes, and tell yourself, I want to set a timer for two minutes. And if it gets to two minutes and I really don't want to do it anymore, I want to stop and by the the timer will go off. You already have momentum, because momentum builds more momentum. Okay, so how can you actually use all this information?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: First thing I want you to do is ask yourself, what is one thing on my list right now that just needs to disappear that I just need done.
Speaker 2: I want you to write that thing down now.
Speaker 1: Secondly, I want you tomorrow morning, I want you to get up and make your bed. First thing that is your first non negotiable win. You will win that in two seconds. Number three, I want you to write down the micro steps of that thing you need to get done. And then I want you to do just two minutes of that thing. And you're doing this as soon as you make your bed in the morning, before you have time to negotiate before your branking list all the reasons why you can't.
Speaker 2: Possibly ring the doctor today.
Speaker 1: I want you to get your little mini checklist of your mini steps, and I want you to start, and I'm going to set you guys a little experiment for the week. I want you to open your notes app or your notebook, and I would love you to start actually tracking how long tasks you hate take you so you can start keeping the receipts for future you for when you want to have a little for when you want to go into an avoidance loop. Now, if your brain struggles to, I guess, work out what is your hard thing first, like what is the most important? Like we have multiple hard things, yeah, so sometimes we just need to follow a bit of a process so you can work that out. And that's why I made this amazing weekly planner. It's like a notepad but basically this is also in like the signature planner as well.
Speaker 2: But it's a way to prioritize your time.
Speaker 1: So it has a task dump, so you literally write down all your tasks and next to it has your priority number. So you literally will just dump all your tasks and hard things and then when you're looking at all the things next to each other, you have a space next to it to actually start numbering it, like, Okay, what is the thing that needs to happen right now, like today? And then you can number it in order of priority, and then next to it it has your top priorities for the week and then also your weekly snapshot so you can even schedule in the other important things into your week ahead. And then at the bottom this is because you need to even it out and at the bottom and I have this type of thing throughout all of my planners, it says this week I look forward to because it is important to you know, go in there and work out the doing. But you're also a human being and I think it's important to kind of reflect on, you know, things you can look forward to, and also making sure you're scheduling in their things you can look forward to as well. Anyways, guys, I hope this episode help again. Please, I would love if you guys took a photo, put it on Instagram and tagged me showing me all of the things that you're doing, show me the hard things you're doing first, because honestly this mantra, if you can live by this by just doing the hard thing first, your entire life can change in a domino effect way. Again, do it first thing in the morning, before you have time to realize what you're actually doing. Just like my tips on working out, Just get the thing done before you realize it's even happening.
Speaker 2: Anyways, I love you and I'll be in your ears on Monday. Bye.