Speaker 1: From the Sky News Center. This is Paul Murray Live. Thank you, Shary, what a show we've got for you tonight.
Speaker 2: Remember the only place on the strauling TV that you will see the wonderful Meghan Kelly is here on Paul Murray Live and tonight as always, she's turn it up to eleven.
Speaker 3: Yes, you've caught us.
Speaker 4: I'm Meghan Kelly, a public figure, am smuggling bombs through my eleven year old son's five ounce toothpaste tube.
Speaker 2: A good chat about the troubles of traveling when you are as well known.
Speaker 1: But also as normal as Meghan Kelly.
Speaker 2: More in a moment on that, a reminder that we are going to be in Mount Gambia in a couple of weeks time. I'd love if you can join us. If you can make it from anywhere in South Australia, please, it would be great to see you. Lots of locals are going to be there. But again, this is my chance to tell you to join us in Mount Gambia, not this, not next, but there one after the twenty seventh Sunday, the twenty seventh. The tickets are free and available to the viewers of this program. Outtown atskynews dot com dot you spread the word and we will see you in beautiful Mount Gambia. Now, before I get into the super hard stuff, congratulations to the entire state of Queensland who still has some sort of no doubt woke up little bit dodgy this morning, the hangover would still be going. Why why not after a massive win in that state of origin. I'm not rubbing it into everyone who's a Blues fan, but still, how incredible was this win? You know all of the stories around, and if you know rugby league, you know all of the ins and outs. But what I love here is that there was a good old fashioned photo. This I think is one of their assistant coaches. Somebody snapped him with the trophy the morning after.
Speaker 1: And while footy is not the way it used to be and their own party the way that.
Speaker 2: It used to be, good to see that maybe a couple of people who used to party still know how to party. Congratulations to Cameron Munster, of course, what a night. Just a couple of days ago, the Queensland captain, and remember this started out with a different Queensland captain, but the Queensland captain of course lost his father unbelievable. The coach had also lost his father in the past twelve months, and yep, they did it for their dads. What a beautiful moment at all was, especially when they were cuddling after the game. The coach, Billy Slater, a champion and a legend of Queensland football, paid tribute to this new generation who did something unbelievable and something that all of us would love to be able to do for our dads, which.
Speaker 1: Is to win in their honor.
Speaker 5: The blake to my left, that's that's as courageous and brave as I've ever seen. I don't know how he did it, but within ten minutes of sitting with him in his room on Sunday morning, he looked at me and he said, Bill, on playing and I know he wanted to.
Speaker 1: I know his dad would have wanted him to.
Speaker 5: And boy, that's one proud dad sitting up there watching his boy tonight.
Speaker 2: Lable, unbelievable, It didn't matter who you wanted to win. All of us secretly happy that that's the way the story ends in terms of football and this year. But the reason I mentioned this all at the start of the show is not just to enjoy a lovely moment that millions of people watched. But just how sort of the human versions of AI that must have a hot take on everything, even have a hot take on the emotion of Cameron Munster dealing with the death of his father in recent days, Billy Slater dealing with the death of his father in recent months. Now, I'm sure this was all meant well, but also there's this sort of snidness and a piece that appeared in The Guardian Surprise Surprise, the turmbul Times today that kind of you know, bloke sport is all fake emotion and all the blokes in it sort of have got the tap turned off, and you know this was finally a rare moment of masculinity the way.
Speaker 1: It should be.
Speaker 2: In fact, let me read, sport is often a proxy for authentic human connection, especially for me. In bloody, big, bloody tough, bloody blokes. It allows us to pat each other on the bums in public, then sing secret songs in private.
Speaker 1: No, it's anyway.
Speaker 2: It means performative masculinity and converting concussion and chronic traumatics traumatic basically CTE apologies into clicks. We do all of this without having to process our feelings or confront our fears, and after a whole bunch of psychobabble, he gets to two of the hardest, most resilient figures in the toughest competition, in the fiercest sport in the world, have shown this another way. So hug your friends, let them cry on your shoulder. Everything's going to be okay again. I know the point he's trying to make, but the sort of all patronizing tone.
Speaker 1: That before we get there.
Speaker 2: Anyone who knows their regular history knows way back, way back, way back, way back when footballers of he always cried human emotion from Benny Alias with his mum on the sidelines in the nineteen nineties, through more deeper public connections like the one that we showed you a couple of weeks ago with Danny Baderus, a former Origin captain, Australian Captain, origin winner, Newcastle legend and his mate Mark Hughes and their love and commitment to each other to try to stop brain cancer with the beanies that they were selling in Newcastle a couple of weeks ago. Women in League Round is almost twenty years old. Rugby league players are yes at a time maybe thirty years ago were forced by pr departments to go and visit sick kids in hospitals. But I'll be honest, even when they were being forced to do it, even way back then, when times were particularly tough and the language was particularly blue, and the fights were very real, and everyone.
Speaker 1: Loved the biff.
Speaker 2: Back then, they all loved their families. They all love each other, and blokes, contrary to the popular opinion of perhaps the beta males amongst us, are actually really good at sharing emotion. We're in a much different place in twenty twenty five to where we were in the U two thousand, litt Alone ninety five or seventy six, where men of all ages cry, men of all ages take care of each other, and men of all ages have maximum sympathy.
Speaker 1: For the men around us.
Speaker 2: And again, I know what this bloke was trying to do, which was trying to say that, rather than the book Big Buffy, let's not talk about our emotions. We finally had blokes that were talking about emotions. But I'll give him the tip. Those of us that they assume are too bogan to have emotions have emotions that are too unwashed to care or to be considerate both of those things. We love our mates, We love our brothers, we love our teammates in whatever field of endeavor that we're in, and we also love our women. And when I say our women, I mean the women in our lives. We would die for our friends, let alone our families, and God forbid if anything happened to our kids. So yes, sometimes we might say things that are a little bit nine en eighties, we might laugh at things that are a little bit nine nineties.
Speaker 1: Blokes today, regardless of.
Speaker 2: Who they are and what you think they look like, are more connected to their hearts than ever before. And if we can connect our hearts to our mate's hearts and their families, then guess what more of us are connected that are separated. And that's what matters most. So again, congratulations to Queensland, congratulations to Cameron Mont's But again, the lesson that he showed us all this one that obviously none of us would want him to have had to do. The fact that he and his teammates bandied together was a beautiful thing, regardless of what the hot take industry is. The next day, now to the madness of Melbourne of the past couple of days, you know the garbage of the fighting that was taking place in the restaurant.
Speaker 1: We've talked about it. You know the story Uphill and down Dale.
Speaker 2: You also know that earlier in the week that far right wing news outlet The Age was reporting the police were being told not to confront protesters before this restaurant rampage. Now we've had this before where other protests simply are well, those people are probably going to overreact and basically we treat them like a toddler, which is because they're going to overreact, we don't interact. We just try to de escalate. Rather than saying no, there is a line you've crossed at you pale back of the divvan Well, the Victorian Coalition is drawing a line saying that the types of things that have been happening in Melbourn for two long on one hundred different issues need to change and yes you have a right to protest, but because other people have ruined the fun, we need to introduce a system similar to what is happening in New South Wales. Under the proposed news of Weil style system, police command would be in charge of protest registrations rather than local councils. So you're going to have to tell the cops that you are planning for you and whatever one hundred plus two hundred plus mates, let alone thousands to turn up at this time in this location, so the police know what they're responding to, rather than ramping up in real time. Organizers who register a protest and their attendees would be protected from offenses such as obstruction or an unlawful assembly, meaning yes, there is a legal right to do so. However, those who father register of protest would run out the risk of activists will run the risk of activists racking up a string of charges and breaching strength and.
Speaker 1: Move on laws. Good.
Speaker 2: This is all common sense. It's not about the right to protest. This is about when the protest goes too far. Upgraded laws which were previously scraped by the former premier Damiel Andrews will see protesters who refuse to move on and disperse at unregistered protest face arrests on the spot. So no more will there be police told not to confront the protesters. Instead, again, if you just decide to turn up and to cause trouble, and cause trouble does not mean.
Speaker 1: Challenge the system.
Speaker 2: Man not talking about somebody who wants to offer an unpopular opinion. I'm not talking about somebody who wants to challenge the orthodoxy. I'm talking about the people who decide to turn up and as part of doing all of those things, the mixture of everything from blocking traffic which has its flow on effects. Remember everyone in there, all of those cars, it's got just as much a right to move to where they need to go as you have to stand there to protest through two holding people more accountable for things that become not just disruptive but just outright madness as we have seen of recent days.
Speaker 1: Here is the Victorian opposition leader.
Speaker 2: And for those that have been saying when will finally the Victorian Libs draw a line and be different, Well, this is the start of being different, and I say well done.
Speaker 6: We're going to say to people, if you register your event the Victoria or the protest, the Victoria police can work with you to make sure you've still got your freedom of speech. It's just a matter of location. Are they going down the same route every time? Is it going to be safe? What police resources it keeps the community safer?
Speaker 2: Good on a good conversation with Peter Krevlin. Of course, good to see her back on our Telly as well as the lovely Sharry. We'll all come and go over the next couple of weeks. But remember we are all there all the time, regardless of who is in front of the camera. We're all ready to fight for you and the big issues of the day. Also great article today in and around the Liberal Party and its future with Peter That which is great read in the Australian.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Also worth noting here is that yes, the registration system is a good idea, right because of all the things I just said, but it's not perfect. Remember the nonsense that happened at the Opera House a couple of days after October the seventh was not a legal protest. There was a protest that was about thirty minutes up the road in town Hall. But because there were too many people too if you police, they were able to march their way down George Street, turn right at Circular Key and well create that infamous moment, which remember at the time police were saying.
Speaker 1: Well there were too many of them. We didn't know how to respond.
Speaker 2: As best as I know, no one repeat, no one was fined, fined in terms of the protest organizers. And that's the issue here too, is that if there is an organization that is putting a protest on and it devolves, then they have to be held responsible, right they have to say no, you don't get to run one for a little while, or you're going to have to pay a fine, or you're gonna have to put up some sort of a bond if you are somebody who has put on protests that get out of control like that. And as you know, that particular incident in and around the Opera House was the start of Australia starting to choose the wrong way of dealing with things. In fairness, the New South Wales premiere, well, he has maintained a pretty heavy hand and certainly trying to hold up the right of individuals to move about their business freely and not to be intimidated by the people who choose to use intimidation as a way of controlling the public conversation. And there is credit where credit is due, but it's not much credit, i must say. The Prime Minister, as you know today has received the report of the Anti Semitism Envoy.
Speaker 1: It has many of.
Speaker 2: The same recommendations that were done out of the Skinish Anti Semitism summit, and I want to congratulate everyone who put that together because the vast bulk of what was in that particular session has now been put forward as an idea to a government about how to deal with things. Now, this in part was the Prime Minister.
Speaker 7: Today anism any Semetism, any Semetism, any Semetism, anti Semitism, any Semetis, any Semitism.
Speaker 2: Okay, so he's starting to learn it, he's starting to say it. But what is in the report, Well, cam Redden from Canbra Bureau will tell you.
Speaker 8: Border falls and migration officials understand the significance of the issue and do their best to prevent antisemitism crossing Australia's border. A number of other points in Gillian Siegel's plan include a broadening of the school curriculum to include teaching about modern antisemitism as well, not just looking historically, for example, at the Holocaust and the aftermath of that as well. She also says there will be a deliberate targeting to combat some of the antisemitic hatred online, particularly on social media. She also says she'll be keeping a close eye on media reporting broadly, not just on social media, but on newspapers, television, radio coverage. Two and try and reach out to identify areas where she believes that there's either misinformation spread or that there is not balance when covering some of these sensitive issues.
Speaker 1: But what do I say partial credit?
Speaker 2: Why do I know that my giving of partial credit will be used by the people who hate this station, this program and you for watching it. Well, it's because, of course the Prime Minister well said the right things multiple times today. We stood there and received the report today, but has not promised to do anything as a result of the report. In fact, of all of the stuff that they have heard in the past twenty four hours, pay very close attention to the Prime Minister and his level of commitment to all of those different things that we've just explained some of the ideas to deal with the heart of the problem.
Speaker 7: Will now carefully consider the report recommendations.
Speaker 2: The problem with governments carefully considering is that they've done this before. Remember the Banking Royal Commission. Four fifths of bug are all changed. Yes, everyone stood there and they accepted it as well. We except most of the regulations, nothing really changed. Remember the Veterans Affairs Royal Commission. When I sat there and I read how many of the different suggestions of these considered reports. Now, it doesn't mean just because it's in a report everything should happen, but to show your commitment to an issue. Generally speaking, a government, when it receives a suggestion like this, will pick one thing that they'll sort of automatically rub a stamp bang good idea. And here's where I think a little bit of the three card Monty shell game is going to be played. I think that this government, and true to its own form, is going to get a similar report from lots of different communities. I'm talking about everything from sexuality, to religion, to disability to you name it right, and all of it is going to be put into a giant pot to work out the overall way of deal with hate. Now, whether that means we're going to turn around and get new laws that will say you cannot villify insert sixteen different groups. And while I do not fight for the right to villify certain number of groups, I do want somebody to tell me what the word villify would mean in a legal sense. Is it up to how offended the person who has been offended is to decide how serious what it was. Is it up to the activists to decide.
Speaker 1: This was all of the.
Speaker 2: Problem that was there with the censorship legislation when it came to the Internet. So again, yes, great Prime Minister, to talk half a step in the right direction, but don't be surprised if being each way out about he takes half a step in that direction, and that direction, and that direction, and that direction, and that direction and that direction, until a big ball of dealing with hate is what is going to be coming out. And goodness forbid anyone who wants to challenge any of the legal definitions they're going to come up with, because you know what they're going to be, like always with so many things, it's going to be a mile wide the definition, and the bar is going to be so low, so low, that it will be up to the victim to decide whether you meant to vilify or offend or.
Speaker 1: Anything like that.
Speaker 2: Watch this space stand by, we'll all learn together. I hope to be wrong, but got a feeling on this one. Probably not going to be.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: One thing that Anthony Alberinezi, Anastasia Palochet, Daniel Andrews, Roger Cook, all having common apart from being hardcore labor people is that they are the people who, to their various governments, has brought an absolute mantra of supercharging what I bang on about as the triangle of dependence. This is when you'll eventually always stay in power because you will end up with more than a majority of the population who either are on welfare, work for the government, or if they're in private industry, their biggest client is the government. And because nobody wants to rock the boat, everyone keeps voting for them, and we end up with permanent labor governments. Nick Cata writes about this at Skytnews dot com dot a Youth Today, specifically when it comes to the size of the public service.
Speaker 1: Now we know we know what the result of the election was.
Speaker 2: I I know no one will ever take this cudgel up, but it doesn't mean it's not something worth talking about. Well done Nick for writing about this today. How Labour's blooded public sector blob has sealed that Seal P. Dutt's fate is spreading its tentacles deeper into taxpayers wallets. Let's read together. The size of the public service workforce has never been larger, nor its preference for labor governments stronger, hence the triangle of dependence. The largest employer of public servants is the Department of Social Services and its associated agencies, where the number of employees has increased from just thirty eight thousand and five years ago to forty eight thousand today. Service delivery jobs has increased by just twenty eight percent since twenty and nineteen. Administration jobs are up by seventy four percent, so when they talk about front line workers, administration jobs are up by seventy four percent. Portfolio, program and project management positions have increased by one hundred and fifty three percent, Strategic policy jobs they're up by one hundred and fifty four percent, and communications and marketing are up by eighty nine percent. One last one, human resources positions have risen by forty eight percent, confirming our worse fears that more public servants are employed to essentially manage themselves. If they keep voting labor and they keep slowly any attempts to change the way they do, the triangle of dependence only gets stronger. I like that metaphor because you know how strong structurally a triangle is and how it can enforce itself, which is exactly what happens here. Now, let's talk about the worries a lot of people have with childcare at the moment. Sadly, in the past couple of days, another person has been charged in relation to horrific abuses that have taken place at a ledge to have taken place at childcare centers. We also know that a lot of Australians have had really tough time talking about this issue in the past few days, and I understand why. So let me jump to the findings of an opinion poll which starts to tell us about how many of us do not feel particularly safe about the way that childcare centers work in Australia. Unsurprisingly, after the events, particularly what took place allegedly in Melbourne, most Australian support male educators in a childcare in childcare, a pole has found.
Speaker 1: Let's read these all together. Okay, I'm only going to read the.
Speaker 2: Disagrees Australia's childcare sector is generally safe for kids. Can you believe seventeen percent of people seventeen percent of people as a standing number before you get into anything.
Speaker 1: Else, so that they're not safe? That's frightening.
Speaker 2: Twenty five percent don't know, and I know not one hundred percent of people have kids in childcare or have had them at any recent time. Seventeen percent disagree childcare centers should be run by governments or community not for profit thirteen percent.
Speaker 1: Now I'll give you the tip.
Speaker 2: I think one of the great dreams Anthony Abernezi has is universal childcare, and I think he would prefer it to be run by the government sector. So essentially, government run childcare, into government run schools, into government run universities. And we all know what the ideological consequence of that's going to be, So don't be surprised if that's where we go over the many many years to come of this government centers with all female staff will be safer for kids.
Speaker 1: Forty one percent.
Speaker 2: Of people believe that to be the case. Just thirty percent of people agree. Sorry, I should say thirty percent of people agree that childcare centers with female staff are safer.
Speaker 1: Than ones with both men and women.
Speaker 2: The majority of disagreeing there at forty one but still thirty percent of people or thirty people saying we should make that change. I personally do not agree with that particular change, but we'll all wait and see where that goes. Let's talk about the Reserve Bank, because, as we know, there was a little bit of surprise this week after the Reserve Bank made its decision not to drop interest rates.
Speaker 9: The Reserve Bank has defined market and economist expectations.
Speaker 1: People are going to be very surprised here. A lot of economists will be surprised.
Speaker 2: Markets was shocked by today's Reserve Bank decision to leave interest rates on hold. And we all know that despite the Treasurer and the Prime Minister constantly saying that global uncertainty, which is code for Trump, is the reason why interest rates didn't go down.
Speaker 9: The global uncertainty is really one of the defining influencers on our economy at the moment.
Speaker 7: We are living in a time of significant global uncertainty, and that reaches beyond just economic instability.
Speaker 9: That global environment is going to constrain us. It's going to shape our choices. It's going to be such an important influence and it's an important influence on monetary policies.
Speaker 7: And secured the resilience of our economy. In a time of global uncertainty.
Speaker 9: People are still under pressure and the global environment is so uncertain and some of that global uncertainty is also recognized in the Reserve Bank's statement today.
Speaker 2: The only problem was the actual Reserve Bank governor, as you know, said it's not Orange Man. Instead, it's domestic reasons as to why interest rates did not fall repeat, the boss of the Reserve Bank, who was in the room watching the meeting making her own decision, coming out to explain the decision not to drop interestrates, said it was domestic, not Orange mad bad as the reason why interest rates have not fallen.
Speaker 10: We are not keeping interest rates high just in case. We're not doing that. We are reacting to the domestic data, domestic inflation data and the employment data and trying to find our way through it.
Speaker 2: But a day later, the deputy Reserve Bank governor was putting in his job application to be the next Reserve Bank governor.
Speaker 1: Why because he said.
Speaker 2: Version of in the Turmbul Times that the RBA deputy governor warns of Brexit scale impact as Trump threatens two hundred percent tariffs on foreign pharmaceuticals. So the boss says it's not domestic. The bloke who presumably would likely be boss one day says it is domestic. The people who will decide whom the next governor of the Reserve Bank is will of course be the current people running the domestic economy badly, as I say, Hence why I think that might be a slight job interview, believe it or not. I want to talk about footy, and specifically I want to talk about the Melbourne Cricket ground here, okay, Now, strange little decision seems to be made there where Look, we've all gone to the cricket, we've all gone to the footy, and I've had the opportunity to see it from the hilt of the private boxes to the.
Speaker 1: Members Area's swish, right swish.
Speaker 2: But it's also very expensive to be a member of the mcc to be a member of the MCG. But it seems like there are a few people that are rather annoyed the bogans are making their way into the rarefied air. Now, this is what we believe to be a scientific image that we got out of AI as to what a bogan looks like personally by the corks. If the beer is a coke cigar. On the other hand, that's me on the weekend.
Speaker 1: But still, and it will be for the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: The problem is is that basically there are a bunch of members who do not like the idea that the person who buys a membership is handing their ticket to somebody else because they're not going to the footy or the cricket that weekend. And apparently some people have been a little bit too disruptive. So therefore there is a plan here that the member card can only be used by that person who is the member. No more people being able to get in on somebody else's seat. Now we'll see what happens because the members will have to vote on this in the next little while. And maybe if you are a member of the MCG, you can explain to me exactly why this needs to happen. But last time I checked, this is what I think happens. It's really expensive to be a member of the SCG. The Gabba Opta Stadium in Perth adelaide oval, I've left anyone out, You get my point right, And you can't go to every single thing that's on cost. Thankfully, there's lots of stuff that's on So why not give a ticket to a friend, give a ticket to a family member. Now if that family member carries on like a galut, then okay, that person gets booted out, but it shouldn't be no right of you as the owner of the ticket, and it's your seat, presumably yours and another because that's what you end up doing, your seats for the entirety of the year, for you to do with what you want. Again, doesn't mean randos can just come in, sit down with a voover zella and start making noise. It doesn't mean you can turn up in a man cainy or a g string. I understand you may need to find a collared shirt, but the idea that the wrong people are making it.
Speaker 1: Into the members please goodness me.
Speaker 2: But we'll all find out what happens in the next little while. Again, wouldn't a simple system be So let's imagine I've got members tickets at the GABA. I can't go right, So I say to you, hey, you know you're doing anything this weekend?
Speaker 1: No, it's cool.
Speaker 2: And then I just go into a system and write in the name of the people who's sitting in my seat. Surely, right, is that possible? We'll find out together? Oh yeah, And finally, have you ever sat in a meeting? And I've never? I mean I love every meeting I've ever sat in may be very clear win?
Speaker 1: Could he win? Wink win?
Speaker 2: But you know, sometimes you sit in a meeting and go and like Tony Soprano once said to his sister, wrap it up janas well. Donald Trump was in one of those meetings.
Speaker 1: Today.
Speaker 2: He was in a meeting with a world leader that was from Africa, and he kind of told him to hurry up.
Speaker 1: I've got to go somewhere else. Wouldn't you love to do this in a meeting? God love him? Have I looked?
Speaker 11: But I appreciate it very much. I appreciate it. Maybe we're going to have to go a little bit quicker than this because we have a whole schedule. If I could just say, it's you know, and your country would be great, thank you please.
Speaker 1: With regard Trump very polite and I get it. It's everyone taking their big moment in the sun.
Speaker 2: I wonder if that's what Albo will do when he meets the Chinese for the fourth time in a six day visit.
Speaker 1: To China the next few days. Quick break back.
Speaker 2: We wore Broman Bishop's on the Show to Night, Megan Kelly's on the Show to Night. We're just getting started and I'd love to know you think the winner and loser of the weekend, sending him Paul at sky news dot com dot au Haggard's a Thursday night in austraight.
Speaker 1: I want to see so nice to see her.
Speaker 2: She's always the carryover champ, the one, the only, the incredible. Broman Bishop, loved to see you again, my friend. Welcome back to the man Cave. Maggie Forrest is somebody that we met along the way during the election campaign which he was running for the LMP in the seat of Ryan. But we just want to keep her going, keep her going. She's a good lawyer and a good freethinker as well. Love to see you, Maggie. All right, let's get to the Prime Minister heading off to China. He will be there for the next six days or so.
Speaker 1: Bromin.
Speaker 2: What I find amazing about this is not just about the comparison to the lack of chat in the United States, although some people are trying to get very excited about it. I think five minute chat at a golf club that Kevin rutten Ma will have had, where no doubt the president was saying what you just said to the African leader, which is okay, Yeah, I know about you, But hurry up, what's the question you want.
Speaker 1: To ask me?
Speaker 2: All right, the eleven minutes was just the introduction. But what do you think about either the need for or the emphasis on the Prime Minister going to China and not just for a couple of days, They're for the best part of a week.
Speaker 12: I think that Alberan Easy is in the thrall of China, and by that I mean there is undue influence some would say control. We've seen a whole history where China seems to be mapping where all the cables are that link us to the rest of the world. Service personnel, we see nothing. We're eedging away from the United States and pivoting more to China. And now there's talk about opening the Free Trade Agreement to allow AI technology and a whole which terrifies the living daylights out of me.
Speaker 1: Understandable, I mean, this is.
Speaker 12: The Communist Party of China we're talking about. We're not talking about the Chinese people current. We're talking about the Communist Party of China. And there is conversation in blogs and influences in China itself talking about is Australia the next Taiwan and it's richer than Taiwan and is very poorly defended. Why are we your next frat?
Speaker 2: Well again, it's this thing where Maggie again. I don't want to go back in time too much, but we heard Susan Lee this week coming out and saying that Liberal Party needed to reposition itself into how this conversation is happening because it's being misinterpreted by some it's being weaponized by others. As who was knocking on doors again, you would no doubt agree with all of the national security staff that all of us agree with, all of us understand and discuss right now right But in practical terms, how often is being critical of the CCP in Australia re weaponize to go back on a candidate to say that somehow you're being anti Chinese people here, when of course you're not.
Speaker 13: Paul, it wasn't really coming up as I knocked on doors in Ryan at all. I think that the comparison between our current relationship with China and our current relationship with our ally the United States is significant. That was something on people's minds. We know that the Prime Minister has already met with President she and yet hasn't been able to secure a meeting with President Trump. And of course, while our trade relationship with China is crucial and in the coalition, we absolutely appreciate that there are real pressing issues to sort out with our ally the United States, with August under review, with the tariff coming in. I don't understand how a current government can stand up and say they're fighting against these tariffs when they can't even get a meeting.
Speaker 2: Very fair point, but of course, in many ways I mean literally a productivity commission this week, not the most recent ones, but the first round of tariffs. We're turning around saying, well, maybe it ends up being a bit of a wash. So in many ways the Primister wins either way, right that big bad United States or the impact of it not being as bad as it seems.
Speaker 1: But we will see. All right, let's talk.
Speaker 2: About as you call it, the snake charmer, and rightly so, I have mainstreamed it this part of the desk as well.
Speaker 1: I will take it on from here as well.
Speaker 2: Of course, the Treasurer and we learned today sort of this byzantine attempt to find a new way to tax people.
Speaker 1: What do you think of this?
Speaker 12: I am so critical and I'm so angry about this, and I said as a lawyer, I said as a former parliamentarian, and I said as an Australian, where we need to know precisely what the tax laws are.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 12: Now, this is called Henry the eighth Clause because it was the Parliament allowed the eighth and fifteen thirty one to in fact make decrees that overruled.
Speaker 1: Act of Parliament.
Speaker 12: Now, what Henry the eighth Clause does here is it allows the executives, the minister to actually change the legislation and overall it it is a very damaging. It is. It is the sort of thing that is not illegal. It can be there. It is being upheld by the High Court, but it must be attached to a head of power. And there's been other arbiter in judgments which have said it can't go too far and be unconstitutional. But it is supposed to be very rarely used, but it is becoming more frequent. And define it in tax legislation is absolutely abhorrent, absolutely abhorrent, because it says he can make distinctions between individuals, He can declare whether or not someone is in a particular type of fund. He can in fact stretch the lip and the Greens is being pointed out in the articles today can agree with it to say okay, we're literal legislation through, but it's got to be indexed, and he'll say, right, I'll agree to that. Then of course he could just come by by regulation and change it. Now, when I was a minister, I was always very concerned when I signed a regulation because immediately my signature went on it, it became law. Yes, it was subject to it could be disallowed by either house, but that's a protected period and it remains in law while that process.
Speaker 2: Is And if you've got the numbers, if you've got the numbers to be the government, then you're not going to be knocked over by the House. If you've got a path through the Senate, you're not going to get knocked back. That's the whole point.
Speaker 12: That's the whole point. So it is egregiously, it really is. And when I've called him the snake charmer, he's an illusionist and he's pretended that this is modest and it's okay because it's only going to affect eighty thousand people half a million by the time people retire, and it is young people who ought to be screaming from the rooftops because they'll be the ones who will really be hit. The snake charmer says, Oh, a future government may change it once it's embedded in and it's part of the tax take and whatever, you know, the way it goes.
Speaker 2: Well, look, I mean again, look at cigarette taxes, right, you know, very clearly, very obviously you know they want rid of it, right, they want written no more smoking. But but but it's just an easy way to ratchet things up, all right, Yeah, absolutely, Maggie. Just to something else though, I want to talk about the CFMU and a report which has come out about the CFMMEU which is pretty amazing. Right, this is not just in the daily telegrapple that was led by the Corea malt they're reporting today Gada to christ and his team in Brisbane, who may be putting the b paperbed right now, bullets, coffins and abuse the CFM. He used, rain of terror exposed to damning report. Among the most shocking findings was a litany of vile threats, including officials telling people we know where you live. There's a bullet with your name on it, a public servant locked in a cupboard and a young woman who was harassed at her gym over her father's role in a workplace health and safety inspector. This is something the Queensland government is going hot and hard out and rightly sight.
Speaker 13: Yes, it was absolutely disturbing to read some of the revelations in this report today, Paul, but perhaps not surprising for a whole lot of Queenslanders. We know that over the last almost decade in Queensland, Labor of a light on the CFMAU. They're one of their largest donors. It begs the question how long have Labor been running a protection racket for one of their biggest donors. And I really praised David Christop fully and Jared Blay and their government for standing up to this sort of behavior and working to stamp it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we have a little segment here, a little highlight of what the.
Speaker 1: Deputy Prens had said. In fact, we don't all show it to you.
Speaker 2: Perhaps at another time let's talk about the anti semitism stuff that happened today with the Prime Minister and again you know, partial personal credit because yes he was standing with the antisemitism void, taking a report but.
Speaker 1: Not committing to anything in it.
Speaker 2: And you know the theatricals of politics as best as anyone, which is, if you're going to stand next to somebody issuing a report, you're giving it a certain level of credibility. If you are wanting to show action, you're going to say, look, we'll accept all of the findings, some of the findings, one of the findings. But the Prime Minister says, now, I'm ade it very clear about what I think this is really going to be, which is this is just going to be one ingredient in an overall.
Speaker 12: Absolutely, I absolutely agree with your editorial one hundred percent Godlin, because there is no commitment for this man to in fact a raise anti Semitism from our culture. And the really damaging thing is is that it might seep into the culture and become tolerated, and that can be allowed to occur. It is not part of the Australian ethos and it must not be allowed to become part of the Australian ethos. And so the parts of the report that I think outstanding are greater concentration on people seeking visas. If you have these views, sorry you can't come. I think where you've got charities who use their tax deductibility status to promote this sort of thing. They should lose it. Funding for cultural bodies from people like used to call the Australia Council whatever it's called for now, But basically those sorts of things should not occur. Universities are a much more difficult issue that needs far more consideration. But there are people in there who are preaching this sort of stuff to students, which is unacceptable. So I think there was a lack of commitment by the Prime Minister today. It was just flapping the lips again and your term each way elbow. You'll have a bit of this and a bit of that. And the most damaging thing you could do is to criminalize eighteen C.
Speaker 1: And this is the thing.
Speaker 2: This is again nobody's sitting here arguing for the right to vilify, right, But about that. If we're going to we're going to move to a system which I know has been introducing places like Victoria. What's the definition who polices this stuff? This is all the stuff that remember was part censoring the Internet or I got thirty seconds here, So Maggie, you're win or a loser of the week place.
Speaker 13: Well, the winner's got to be Queensland in the origin congratulations and the loser's got to be thanksful. Loser's got to be the prime minister who can't get a meeting with the President of the United States.
Speaker 1: I'm with you, Bromin.
Speaker 3: The winner.
Speaker 12: Is fossil fuels because after TRUYMP to Dig Baby Dig, right across the world, people are increasing their use and acknowledging the world cannot get by with it fossil fuels. The loser is CSL because there is no voice in the United States loving for them and speaking on their behalf to say you need our vaccines, we need to be able to produce them here and two hundred percent taff is absolutely unaccepted.
Speaker 1: Good point. Thank you so much, Broman, Thank you. Maggie'll see you again very soon.
Speaker 2: The one of them, Meghan Kelly speaking of powerful, strong and independent women. She's on the show right after this our favorite time of the week to talk to our favorite person in the world, the one, the only, the incredible Meghan Kelly kicking ass on YouTube. You can hear on Serious XM get Her podcast. But she is the queen who joins the seation every week here on Paul Murray Live.
Speaker 1: How are your rockstar?
Speaker 4: I'm great. I'm so great. I'm loving the summer, and the news cycle is insane.
Speaker 2: I want to start off with what I think is just a spectacular gift the United States government is giving the rest of the world, and of course it's citizens, which is you don't have to take your shoes off anymore when you go to the airport.
Speaker 1: Now as a person who you know it.
Speaker 2: Has traveled much for work for private life, thank god, because I know there was the shoe bomber. But now that we've done the shoes, do we still have to take off our belts? Because I've never in the history since nine to eleven heard of how my belt is somehow going to bring down applying.
Speaker 3: That's a good point.
Speaker 4: And let's just talk about the liquids, the four ounce liquid restriction. That, honestly is there a big contingent of people who want to bring a bomb on an airplane, but then they don't because there's a four ounce limit. They don't just use four ounces of the mini size and the Johnson's baby shampoo and then a second four ounce, Like if you really want to bring down the plane via a liquid bomb, I think you would just comply with the four ounce thing, and you have multiple four ounce liquids like you're allowed to.
Speaker 3: This is so.
Speaker 4: Ridiculous what we've been doing since nine to eleven. Some of the security measures made sense. This one makes no sense. And this shoes thing, not only is it a pain in the butt.
Speaker 3: But it's disgusting. It's like the.
Speaker 4: Bottom of people's shoes go into the same bin that then you have to put your jacket in, or the sweater you're wearing in, or your child's item in your purse which goes over your shoulder. I mean, like, this is none of this makes any sense. We we've been doing it now for twenty years. That Richard Reeve thing, the British citizen who tried to bring down a plane with his shoe of an explosive in his shoe, was.
Speaker 3: Two thousand and six.
Speaker 4: And finally they're talking sense within the Trump administration. The head of Transportation, Sean Duffy actually said they did a survey like what's the most annoying thing to you about traveling? And the number one answer was TSA, which is the organization that makes you take.
Speaker 3: Off your shoes, et cetera.
Speaker 4: Another point on that, here's the other problem with TSA, and it's not just our TSA in America, it's global, especially over in Europe, places like France. I've been through it many times. These people are on a power trip. Everybody listening to me knows that I am right. We've all been harassed by these people who have a modicum of power, who get drunk on.
Speaker 3: It and really just want.
Speaker 4: To punish you as you go through TSA for no reason, Like my son had a like it was a five ounce mini but not many enough toothpaste tube.
Speaker 3: This is my eleven year old.
Speaker 4: They're like no, Like, yes, you've caught us. I, Megan Kelly, a public figure, am smuggling bombs through my eleven year old son's five.
Speaker 3: Ounce toothpaste tube. Great job, great job TSA.
Speaker 1: Let's a bit of a difference state thing because I don't buy it. Sorry, I don't buy it. Right.
Speaker 2: I know you're not a conspiracy person. I'm not a conspiracy person, but there is always that one story that we have read too much about. And I've read too much about this story to believe nothing.
Speaker 4: To see here, it's very sketchy, and look, here's the truth. Bongino, who I really love as a friend and Patel, who I also respect, were among the biggest promoters of the Epstein conspiracy theory stuff. I mean, one of the reasons this has such sway on the right is because of those two and what they said about Epstein prior to joining the FBI. And that's a fair point to make too. Once joining the FBI, they've not been touting this at all, and they had different responsibilities and they had different access than the rest of us. But it must be said that one of the reasons that many people on the right in particular have doubts about the official Epstein's story is because guys like those two, who we love and respected, were telling us all along there's no way there isn't something more to this, whether it's connections to intel masade, people like Bill Gates, are they getting covered up for? Like okay, so they bear some responsibility for the fact that people are so reluctant to leave them now. But I really do put the blame for this recent development on Pam Bondi because there's been no one more than Pam Bondi since taking office, since being on the inside of the administration, where whatever you say has a lot more sway than you as a podcaster. She's been dangling little carrots in front of us, And now I'm looking back thinking, was she just trying to be popular?
Speaker 3: Was she just trying to sound like a cool kid who.
Speaker 4: Like, I've got all the gossip, I've got the burn book, and I'll tell you who's in it. I don't know what she was doing, but she is on camera repeatedly. It's not just that one interview with Fox News' John Roberts where she says she's got the client list on her desk, repeatedly touting the big reveal, then expressing indignation that documents have been unfairly unjustly withheld from her by the evil FBI, and then explaining what she was going to do to get to the bottom of the FBI's withholding, that she was conducting a big sort of raid where she was sending a truck she was going to get all the document, none of which appears to have been true. Nothing nothing, I mean nothing's as far as I know, gone to her since March. So we've had March, April, May, June, July for her to finally work up the nerve to tell us there's absolutely no there there, and not even tell us a paper statement two pages leak to a left leaning media outlet that they knew would not kick the tires on this.
Speaker 3: That's pathetic. It doesn't work.
Speaker 4: And she in particular, having gone on camera, and you know how it is in journalism, Paul, if you say something wrong or commit a sin on camera with your audience, there is only one real way of fixing it, and it's in the exact same forum in which you committed the sin to begin with.
Speaker 3: You've got to put your big boy pants on.
Speaker 4: You go back on camera, you look at the same audience, and you say, I screwed up. You don't fix it via tweet or an insta and in her case, you don't fix it via an unsigned two page document that you give to a CEOs where no one can ask you questions about it. So yesterday at the cabinet meeting she was asked one question, she spewed a bunch of verbal diarrhea, which only made it worse. And now they want to declare case closed. No, I mean, with all due respect, we the people will decide when his case closed.
Speaker 3: And we're not there.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. Thank you, Megan we'll see you again next week. That is our show, not actually not done right. In fact, in a moment or two is Tom. I gotta tell you about a beautiful little moment when it was hands across the water, a lovely moment of people getting.
Speaker 1: Together to help a shop that they like out. Then it'll be the end of the show and time for the light debate.
Speaker 2: All right, before I leave for the weekend, let me tell you a cool little story comes out of Melbourne.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: There is a bookshop in Melbourne which is moving from one side.
Speaker 1: Of the street to the other.
Speaker 2: It's called the Hill of Content bookshop. They are moving from one bit of Burke Street to another bit of Burke Street. But being a bookshop, what have they got a lot of books? How the heck do you move that many books? Well, really cool thing happened today. The customers of the bookshop turned up in their hundreds and they made a human chain and they one by one moved the books, which I thought was really cute. Now again, you know, I'm sure that lady watches us each and every night, but you get my point, right, I think it's a cool idea. Here is part of what happened today, I wanted to help our.
Speaker 4: Our institution that behaviors.
Speaker 3: I think I was.
Speaker 4: Really attracting both of the old school idea of just passing for help. I just feel like it's talking as much as secret, and it's lovely to see people just do something together, like for not a person benefits.
Speaker 3: We can play life.
Speaker 1: Before old school idea.
Speaker 2: No, I can't move the books for you. Physical humans need to do it, and in this case it was them. I really like, congrats to everyone involved. That's our show for tonight. We'll see you again in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, James Morrow and Daneka to Georgio will hold the Ford.
Speaker 1: Go Yankees, go Tigers. See you soon.