Speaker 1: Approche Production.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to our little Lady. It's been a while now. I'm not one to read reviews, and although we've had a stack of positive reviews on Apple and Spotify. Like anything, and especially a case like this that has some in Tasmania a little nervous, it's pretty easy for trolls to throw in an anonymous comment. There was one a few weeks ago and it really grabbed me, and I know it grabbed Jason and Amanda as well. The comment was simple. It said, the show's getting long in the tooth and maybe we should finish up now. I want to say we made a promise to Jason and Amanda a long time ago that we'd finish this show up when they finally got an answer, and that's what we're going to do. We of course appreciate the support of any listeners, but there would be some in the community that might want the podcast to go away. It won't. And although it's not a regular release, everything we're bringing you right now is in real time. Jason, Amanda, how are things. It's been a little while.
Speaker 3: It has been We've been progressing forward, one step in front of the other.
Speaker 2: What are some of those progressions that have been made over the last sort of three or four weeks.
Speaker 3: Well, we've actually had a bit of a break and Jackie's Lamby's been championing championing the movement in the last few months by putting in a number of RTIs, and we've.
Speaker 4: Gotten some quite validating information back.
Speaker 2: We've witnessed the RTIs and some of the questions about them. The questions center around some of the redacted pages. From what we can see, there are at least seven or eight that have been redacted. They have been redacted because the author says they're not relevant. Some are notes from the person who did a twenty twenty three review into Eden's case. One of the lines that isn't really acted is an email between two officers about the interview that was about to happen with the girl we're calling Kate in twenty twenty three. The interview nobody knew was happening. These are his words, but not his voice.
Speaker 5: If she remembers having it, I'd like to know who she was speaking with, where the information came from, and why specifically it was claimed not to be a suicide. I don't think a statement is necessary unless she ends up having some genuine information.
Speaker 2: As we read on it seems an officer did go to Kate's. Kate said to the officer that she didn't recall any of the conversations with Bobby Lee and had no knowledge of the matter. She wasn't formally interviewed and no statement was taken in this RTI request. There's a document called Inquiries, which seemed to be a tight log or running sheet of the inquiries made. It outlines that Jason Westbrook provided new evidence in a forty minute conversation on April twelve, twenty twenty three. The officer investigating says that it was third or fourth hand. There's also mentioned of Kate's Facebook posts, including being with Eden at five am on the eighteenth of February and the approach to Bobby Lee. There's also an interesting comment by the officer in the inquiry document, and it's about Paul Reynolds. Again, these are his words, but not his voice.
Speaker 5: Senior Sergeant Reynolds was never at Saint Helen's, never had any contact with Eden, and was not involved in the investigation directly.
Speaker 2: We do know the coroner who conducted Eden's coronial matter said on page three of their report.
Speaker 1: Senior Sergeant Paul Reynolds at the laun Syston Coroner's Office also provided regular oversight and direction during the investigation period at my request. I'm in that report, my daughter's in that report, her friends are in that report, and it all contradicts what we know. And we didn't sign those statements. It's because we got a phone call interview. Now, he gets off the phone from his armchair. He then writes a report to satisfy his superior officers. It's just BSJ.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's embarrassing.
Speaker 1: And when I've been speechless for a while, I've been really reserved. I haven't really spoken to too many people. I've been really in my yard and garden and I'm just keeping my head down, but up just angry. I actually something that's really interesting come out of it. Jay Is Smithhurst did view the footage with him.
Speaker 2: Here's an extract from that part of the RTI document. A phone call was made between two police officers on October twenty twenty three to talk about that CCTV footage. It was confirmed that an officer as well as another officer, Chris Smithhurst, viewed the CCTV footage. The report says the cameras were daytime cameras. We assume that means they weren't in for red cameras. It also says the area was not well lit. The document also state that this officer asked Chris Smithhurst about him telling the Westbrooks that he saw Eden and an older woman on the footage. The officer was aware of this fact and said he'd asked smith Hurst about the fact, and smith Hurst said that he never told the Westbrooks that, and it must have been a misunderstanding. Of course, we know it's really hard to verify this point about the conversation between this officer and smith Hurst because smith Hurst died some years ago. In the last episode, we spoke to Eden's younger brother Daunte and her little sister Sky for Jason and Amanda. This episode was really hard to hear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mate, that was I found that extremely powerful to listen to as just a listener, to think they were my children. It still makes me a little emotional, I think's the right word. The great kids. Jay West super euper proud of those two And when I heard it, and when they were saying things like, you know, Mum and Dad have done enough. They've worked so hard. I even probably for a couple of days, I was wondering whether maybe I had, you know, maybe I could walk away, because I thought, with what I've done with you, Jay, and what you've done with this story, that's what I wanted to do. I actually wanted to tell my story to someone that would listen and give me given a platform where people could put doubt in what was written, because I doubted doubt in what was written. And you've been able to give me more than I could ever ever imagined. And I've done that, and it's almost like a release for me to have done that. And I've told the world through your audience that this is my side of the story as Eden's dad. This is our injustice and I want to tell it. I want to say it, and I want to be proud, and I'm not. I don't want to be ashamed of what Eden did or didn't do.
Speaker 6: And you know, this story, it's sensitive, it's raw, it isn't something that spoke about often, and so we've shared that and I'm happy.
Speaker 1: About that, mate. And so yeah, when you took a donnian Sky, I just thought, maybe it's time to give back to them. This hasn't slowed us down from who we are as parents. If anything, it's probably maybe a better parent. I'm there always for my children. I want to be there to do stuff. And I'm going to continue the fight because while there's content and there's no answers that we need, I'm going to be there to tell the story until it's finished. And at the end of the day, there's that many people that aren't caring and are supporting us. They too want the answers, and they're going to continue to listen until we get to the end, mate, And we're not at.
Speaker 4: The end yet, because I'm not stopping. I am not slowing down.
Speaker 1: I cried, mate, I cried when I heard Donniansky. They didn't know what you're going to ask them, and they just spoke from the emotions that went through sky. It was incredible and such an articulately answered in every question and Donnie. I got to know Donnie again, mate, So yeah, thanks for that. Donnie's eighteens the guy's twenty, Mate. When I was eighteen and twenty, I wouldn't have wanted Skynn.
Speaker 6: To even name me, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: They're just good kids and they're just so switched on and they're so caring and as you heard, they're going to fight for what they believe in, and they already do. If there's a protest to in haveber that they believe in, they're front and center.
Speaker 4: Mate.
Speaker 1: They're not violent, they're not aggressive in their protest, but if they believe in it, they're there and we can't stop the mate because they know what we stand out ground as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we love them.
Speaker 1: They're great.
Speaker 2: One of those things that came up in that chat with Dante and Sky was and it slipped through as I was talking to them, and actually a couple of listeners reached out and asked the question. But there was a mention of a diary, Eden's diary. I think I actually asked a few people before I reached out to you, which is just something that I do to check, to sense, check my own question to go, is this insensitive asking for the diary? So just say no, that's sort of a bit of my own process that I go through before I know I can ask you anything. And I have no issue with that.
Speaker 3: If we had the diary, we would give it to you. We had a piece of paper. That slip of paper was actually in her folder with her Easter egg rappings that she'd kept, her certificates, a few bits of art, some birthday cards from her siblings over the years, just a little.
Speaker 4: Sentiment of photo folded. So I took it.
Speaker 1: To the under investigations table. It was actually on the table the.
Speaker 3: First come across city, look like they said. We actually did shelter them from as much as we could, and we didn't make conversation in their presence of anything. We were very conscious about everything that we spoke about around them. What we did let them know. And then when they watched that whole show, they were wrecked and beside themselves. They were calling us and we were all sobbing. But they were discovering parts of what we've done, and that's where they were coming from an older perspective. Now they're at their age, they actually can take a little bit more of what we've done and understand it.
Speaker 4: And that John A. Nine show really astonished Dante.
Speaker 3: He's just like, yeah, exactly, you know that she wouldn't have done that, not feeling like that, and it reminded him of who Eden was.
Speaker 1: When you asked for the diary, we went looking through everything again and it's still hard, so hard for me. I just find that really when you open those containers, and that we thought we only had one, we've got three, and it's there's still a fragrance of eating there, mate, you know. And we pulled her shorts out and her favorite little devon shorts and that she just wore a dream well that she got on the Gold Coast, and it was just she was so little. She was such a little person and such a great loss.
Speaker 2: The photo that I have in front of me is is I can see it's your yard, your front yard, and there's a massive trestle table set up, and there's just this stuff everywhere on that table. And I'm guessing that's all of eden stuff.
Speaker 3: It's some of what we just there was just a regular outfit that I remember seeing her in, and her little plaid belt and all of her hair, hair pieces, even some of your cousins clips been clips from them that they had made by hand, and just a little Yeah, she had them around her. She put wore them around her neck and they all had different.
Speaker 1: Meanings strength, power, love, hope, courage, dreams. Yeah, I read I think you might see it in a photo that made a suent you, and.
Speaker 4: I put them all over there.
Speaker 1: The presentation may look the best because I was doing it through watery eyes, to be honest, but I read each and every one of those as I was doing it, and it just doesn't read someone that's got It doesn't read someone that doesn't want a future. It's someone that's right into the the life life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she was so living.
Speaker 2: What's interesting about these photos that I saw? And to me, their photos that I could easily say of my own daughters, where I have memories of why they were.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, it's like her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it was just because she will perfume and the perfume was in there. There was Pala Swift and Britney Spears perfumes and they were her perfumes.
Speaker 1: And outfit she'd wear in particular events Australia Day or the Show day or the Gold Coast or a holiday when we took it to the airport. Yeah, they're there, those last clothes, the last outfit she bought, you know.
Speaker 4: And she had headphones.
Speaker 3: She always had cool headphones and she was always listening to music and always sing her beanies.
Speaker 1: Mate, I'm a beanie dude, I wear beanies wearing living tazzy, so I wa like a beanie on my short hair. It was good to do. I think I wasn't probably able to be spoke to for a couple of days after. It did knock me around, but in a good way, I guess, because you've got to look. You can't just close the box and never look at it again. So yeah, it was nice.
Speaker 4: Used to love all the little my little ponies, Jason.
Speaker 2: I want to just throw something to you without notice. Father's Day obviously was recently and as part of the photos that Amanda sent through of a whole bunch of stuff, is a beautiful I'm a bit emotional. There's a beautiful Father's Day card here which is made by all your daughters, and so I actually want to read it, if that's okay, monym It's.
Speaker 4: Just one of many things that they used to do, the crafty little things.
Speaker 2: They were, and it's beautiful. There's coloring in. It's from Justine Hunter, Eden Sky and Dante too, obviously is there. But it says, hey, did you know that you're the best father, dad Jason Westbrook in the world, and then it goes to will try to be the best kids. After that they say you are the best dad in the world. You know why you smell good, You're You're like the coolest dad ever. You have seven children that love you. There's so many people that want to be in our family. You could take a joke and there are so many things that won't fit on this page. Yeah, it's just a really it's just a really beautiful card.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, see why I had to leave the box Jay that was in it, mate. You know, and when you're reading stuff like that, and I've told you I feel responsible for reading's death.
Speaker 2: Mate.
Speaker 1: I'm going to wear that for the rest of my life because she was fifteen on my watch and to read that and to know what they thought to me and I failed that night. It's tough, mate, you know.
Speaker 3: But they would write things like that all the time. They wouldn't even need Father's Day or Mother's Day. They just used to write us lovely little things.
Speaker 4: And Jason used to write them, well, this is where this is as big as our lies get. Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. Jason would write a letter from Santa Claus to the children. He would set the Christmas up like scale the roof and just dows the house with lights and glitter and footprints of a reindeer being through the house through the glitter, just some of the lengths that he would go to.
Speaker 2: And and that's why we're continuing to do this podcast and why you're continuing to tell his story because if we stop, the audience can't help drive some momentum to try and get the answer that you've waited for ten years old.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Tazi needs to get behind it a little bit more. In terms of the petition, which I hopefully Jackie will inspire.
Speaker 1: There's eight and a half thousand people currently. I believe Ja you could you might have a different numbers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, one thousand people.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much to those nine thousand people that have put their name behind that support. They must be able to read which states or which countries they come from. We actually need more Tasmanians because this is our constituent we're living in, This is our state we're living in. This matters to us if we want the Currents Act that change that's outdated, that's antiplicated. Is that the right word. We really need Tasmanians to get behind this so we can change things for the better. There's more we know there's more than just the Westbrook family trying to get autopsy photos through the coroner. We know that other people have been rejected and told that they cannot have them. This has to change. Families need to be able to get an independent third party to look at these things in case the Coroner's office have got it wrong.
Speaker 3: I actually sold more Raffle tickets for a football trip away than the amount of people that have signed the petition in Tasmania.
Speaker 4: And it's not as.
Speaker 3: If it's been a secret what's been going on in Tasmania. In full Worth, you listen to the news, whether you're talking about it at the supermarket or whether you're watching it on Facebook or social media. Everything has been publicized, regarding Paul Reynolds and his very expensive honor of guard with the funeral after what we discovered with him. That's been publicized. The Royal Commission's inquiries been publicized. People have lost positions and have to be answerable to certain behavior years. That's all been evident, it's all been documented. I don't know where people are if they don't know that they've got a right to not only have a vote, but to make a stand about doing.
Speaker 4: The right thing.
Speaker 2: We're currently at eighty six hundred and twenty four signatures on the change dot org petition to reopen a public inquest into the death of Eden Westbrook. The way you can help, especially if you're from Tasmania, is to sign this petition as quickly as possible, said