Speaker 1: Welcome to the Friends with Money Podcast, brought to you by Money Magazine, creating financial freedom for Australians since nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 2: Hello and thanks again for joining us for another episode of the Friends with Money Podcast. It's Michelle Baltazar here, editor in chief at Money Magazine. Thank you for joining us. A year ago, we did an episode on how to avoid online scams, and we'll share the link to that again in the show notes. Today we want to expand on this topic by finding out what to do if you've lost money to a SCAMMA despite your best efforts, how do you recover from the financial loss? What do you do in the first forty eight hours after discovering that you've been a victim of an online scam? If you stick with us until the end of this episode, we'll also share what is the new government law that could be introduced by the end of this year to catch cyber criminals before they can get to your bank account. So with us today to talk about online scams and what to do is Helen Baker, a licensed Australian financial advisor with more than fifteen years experience informing her work. Helen has completed a master's in financial planning and a master's in Innovation and Change on top of her accounting degree. Helen has also authored three books on becoming financially savvy, including the book on Your Own Two Feet, The Essential Guide to Financial Independence for All Women. Helen, thank you for joining us.
Speaker 3: Thank you hello. Now this is very.
Speaker 2: Topical for us because in the absence of making extra income right now, we want to know how can we protect the money that we already have. So tell me a little bit more. Why are you so passionate about talking to people and educating them about online scams?
Speaker 4: Well, I think we not any of the scams, but any kind of INFI that you made. The sense of loss is felt way more than if you have a great win or a great upside. All your investments are increasing and for a lot of people there's just no time to recover. And they I think the thought is, oh, you know, Australians are rich, They've got a lot of these.
Speaker 3: Things, but our cost of living is very high.
Speaker 4: It's very different here to other countries in terms of the cost of housing and so on. So you know, losing some money is really quite detrimental to a lot of people. And one of the big passions obviously is for women. We have forty thousand women living out of cars in Australia, which is horrific, and we do not need to be adding to that total.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I think we have to define what kind of scams we are talking about. There is obviously the fake bill scam, where people might lose anywhere between two hundred and one thousand dollars, But the one that I'd like to talk to in particular is when people lose as much as eighteen thousand dollars fifty thousand dollars. This could be someone sending their home deposit to the wrong bank account, or someone giving their money to a term deposit company that turned out to be fake. I mean, we're really getting serious now about how much cyber criminals are making.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent, and that's the biggest issue.
Speaker 4: I think it's because they only need to catch one or two on these really big amounts, and they're like life changing for them as well, just as much as their life changing for people on the other side.
Speaker 2: So let's focus on this one case study. I read in the National Anti Scam Center website that this person John, he's a small business owner, He has a supplier based in China. He got an email saying for the next invoice, can you please transfer the amount to this account and a true story. He sent them thirty two thousand dollars, didn't get the goods. After two weeks came back and said, well where is it? And that's when he discovered that money's gone. So let's talk about the first forty eight hours after you've been scammed.
Speaker 3: What do you do?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so the first forty eight hours is obviously, do not put your head in the sand. There's a sense, as a victim of any crime that it's only happened to me, and there's a shame attached to it. You must, must, must get on the front foot as fast as possible. Time is of the essence here, and what banks and institutions are looking at now is starting to slow down this transfer of money. So instead of being instant and we sometimes get frustrated because something didn't move overnight, it's actually there somewhat now for our protection. Can take up to four days. So these kind of delays allow you sometime to get in contact with the institution and help them become aware that this is an issue and see what they can do.
Speaker 3: To try and get as much money back as possible.
Speaker 2: I must trust that that is a very important change in the last twelve months, where in the past there's that sense of within three hours your money's gone, But now banks are holding those funds for as long as a couple of days I believe in some cases, So you do have that chance to recoup your money.
Speaker 3: Yes, depending on which the institution is.
Speaker 4: So if you look at different organizations that are not linked directly to a bank, so it could be, for example, like certain superannuation or investment organizations, then they're slightly different. But the banks in the back end have AI, they have people talking.
Speaker 3: To each other, they're cross referencing with each other. So there are things.
Speaker 4: Happening out there to try and protect and try and delay the money, but you need to pick it up quickly obviously.
Speaker 2: All right, now, do you get the police involved or is there a government agency that you need to call once you've discovered that you've been scammed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you can go to the a Triple C scam Watch and obviously logs, so that that's you know, we're protecting other people and getting the messages out there as well. Police is good as well, and also getting onto lawyers if it's something to do with some sort of loans or documents that you've signed. So getting as much support as you possibly can from all the relevant organizations is what you need to do to shut this thing down as quickly as possible.
Speaker 2: And try and help others avoid suffering from the same feet.
Speaker 3: I think that's right.
Speaker 4: You know, as a community people, the more that this continues, the more people there are at risk. And obviously some are more vulnerable than others, but we often think it's certain demographics that are going to get caught by these scams, but it's.
Speaker 3: Actually across the board.
Speaker 4: And one of the biggest shoes is actually time people are clicking on things because we're in a hurry, we're busy, we're half checking these things or it seems like it makes sense, And I think we need to be more vigilant about doing more work up front before we're clicking on any kind of button to send money anywhere, because we know that at some point statistically that something is going to come through that it's not trustworthy.
Speaker 2: I know. I'm just going to throw in a couple of stats here. Last year, more than six hundred thousand scams were reported to the A Triple C and we lost a staggering two point seventy four billion. So I did a rough calculation here, and it's literally every day there would be more than two thousand scams reported. So you're right that you're not alone. This has unfortunately has become the new norm. So okay, so we know that the first forty eight hours is crucial. Now, how can you secure your other accounts because often we have multiple bank accounts, or we may have other kind of bills where the passwords are the same.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly right, So there is that generic password that gets transferred from one to the other. And there's been a lot of talk about changing passwords, but if someone's been hacked in, they can see what's inside to some of these things as well, so you might have any kind of password. The issue is more about building in these next levels, so rather than just being one way of clicking on a password, clicking into something and moving forward. So you want to look at where there are organizations, and a lot of organizations, particularly the banks and the institutions, are moving speedily on two factor authentication, which means you know you'll get something through and then you'll get a special code that will only come to your phone or to an app that is on your phone. And again, these various levels of these institutions are building because at some point they're going to work out ways and I already have in some way they can get to your phone number that picks up the authenticator as well. So there's more and more of these protection mechanisms being built in order to protect your money and to protect the institutions as well.
Speaker 2: All right, And the good news is that I think we're all now getting used to two factor authentication. This happens a lot now and thankfully banks are also becoming more proactive where they do try and encourage two factor Sometimes it could be the biometrics ID, which is great if you're the only person using your phone, so that's a great way to do that as well. Now, you mentioned earlier the emotional kind of whiplash really from losing tens of thousands of dollars, and it's anecdotal that some people don't even want to talk about it. Instead, they want to make up for what they lost by gambling, maybe using credit cards, or resorting to anything but telling their family and friends that they've just lost a substantial amount. What do you think they should do?
Speaker 4: Yes, it is again back to this issue of victims of crime, where the victims feel like, you know, they're the ones that should be shamed, when it's actually the other way around. So I think being transparent is really key. You need to be careful not to get into more debt by doing these things, or in some cases people might go, well, you know, I was I've retired or I was going to retire. Now I need to start doing all these different things to boost my super backup or my investments back up. And the risk with that, obviously is you get scammed in a very different way and you you know, the whole get rich quick schemes where it might not be done in the fashion that it came through this way, but it'll be done in a different way where you promise something that's not really realistic to be delivered, but you sign up for it because on that I've got to recover. I've got to recover into that panic. So you need to consider. This is where probably the financial advice component is a necessity, or a financial counselor as well, what are the things that you should be looking at to do now in order to rebuild yourself from that if the money has actually be gone and it's not recoverable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I know that in previous episodes we've talked about accessing legal aid or community legal centers if you can't afford a lawyer to try and recool your money. I also know that one thing that we've said to people who couldn't afford their mortgage repayments, for example, because you just miss one month of mortgage repayment and suddenly your credit score is affected, et cetera, do you think they should access hardship provisions or is it covered by insurance at all? When you lose there's money? What are the other options here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a great question.
Speaker 4: I was talking to a general insurance broker about this the other week because I was saying, you know, we talk about it from a business perspective about cybersecurity and insuring businesses, but it's you know what about people insuring for themselves just based on the statistics and the vulnerability of people to get caught. So there are some insurances that are out there's we're talking to.
Speaker 3: A GI broker.
Speaker 4: Sorry, GI's code for general insurance broker to start to look at those kind of things. Some of the institutions for which your embedded will maybe have insurance that does cover you, but it's pretty hard if you've clicked on certain things because once you've clicked on those, it's kind of like it's not their responsibility anymore and it moves away from that. So I think understanding what the parameters are around having some sort of insurance so that you understand when you are covered in when you're not.
Speaker 3: Just like a house, you know, if it's flooded and you don't.
Speaker 4: Have flood insurance, well, or you do, but something's happened it's not being managed in an appropriate way. So again, the detail of all of those things are really really important.
Speaker 2: Again, I'll just repeat that you want to talk to a GI broker, a general insurance broker, just to look at your options if it's relevant to you, and to seek professional financial advice if that is also the case where the stakes are really high, if you're a small business owner, or if it's just you're reliant on just one income. So finally, we've talked about the first forty eight hours, Now what about in the long term. So we've got this person, they've just lost thirty two thousand dollars fifty thousand dollars. What can they do in the next five years after?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I think it's going back to the absolute basics about how do I build wealth, which goes back to you know, what am I earning?
Speaker 3: What can I have on my spending that makes sense?
Speaker 4: How do I then invest this surplus that I hopefully have to try and rebuild my wealth? Do I put it into super do I put it in another investment, do I pay off my home?
Speaker 3: What do I do? What's right for now? What's right can.
Speaker 4: Be different in future years, can mean you know, for some people unfortunately having to go out and get that second job or that extra way to earn income. It's looking at a range of different ways to recoup what you've lost or adjusting to the fact that it has lost. But what does that mean over the long term for you? What are you willing to compromise about what your future looked like because of what's happened here? So it will always depend on whether you're working, how old you are, what you already have, and about doing the smarts that stretch your money further as much as possible.
Speaker 2: What if you're a self funded retiree.
Speaker 3: If you're a self funded retiree, depending on the amount that's low, you might want to talk to sentlink about now whether you do qualify for some sort of age pension or part pension or something similar that's in that vein.
Speaker 4: Whether it's careers or so on. So it will depend on what the amount of money is. And again it's always looking at what are these things that I don't know, I don't know, and getting the support around you from those who will care about your situation and try and help you to rebuild as much as you can or stabilize.
Speaker 3: Where you're at for your future so you still feel safe.
Speaker 2: All right, So at least you know that there is the option to look at part or full pension if you're a self funded retire and you've just lost your money, especially on investment scams. By the end of the year, the consumer regulator is looking at forcing Internet companies to proactively stop hosting scams or else they'll face hety fines or an An example on this is that AI trading platforms that are advertising and it's endorsed by deep fake images of Andrew Forrest the mining magnet, or it could even be Elon Musk for example. So if any of these Internet companies, whether it's Facebook or it could be a gold Daddy site that is hosting a domain that is false, they could face fines up to fifty million dollars. So this really shows that there are big bucks swirling around online scams these days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'd just like to comment as well.
Speaker 4: I think while we're talking about this, it would be really good if the government applied pressure or the institutions applied pressure about who is holding what information. There is a lot of our personal information that is being held by organizations who just do not need to be holding that information. You know, you can go sign up for something even like one thing. I signed up for tickets the other day for a band, and it wanted my date of birth. Like I understand they're trying to check if you're over eighteen, but you know you shouldn't be holding all of that information because there's no guarantee from any organization that you can't be hacked. So I think we need to rethink what information is being stored by anybody, whether it's your doctor, whether it's the the optometrists, whether it's the ticket master, whether it's who is holding all of my information, even phone plans everything.
Speaker 3: Understand that that's to do with credit. But you know, once.
Speaker 4: You've got it, why are you not forced to delete that information? You know, we as financial advisors are not able to hold our client's tax phone number, which is great, like there's a protection there for all our clients. So and that's another thing I would say as well. One of the great things that financial advisors are doing is becoming a war for their clients so that our clients can contact us about you know, I got this, is it legitimate or not? And that's one of the great things I think that financial advisors are plugging and protecting for their clients, something that's probably not promoted very much, but it's a great value add because protecting from a mistake is way way, way better than the cost of a mistake.
Speaker 2: Absolutely well said once again, Helene, thank you for joining us.
Speaker 3: You are very welcome. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Now before we go, If you enjoy listening to the Friends with Money podcast or this episode, please share it with your friends and family. Got a finance question you'd like us to cover in future episodes, Drop us a line on podcast at moneymag dot com dot Au until next Michelle Baltasar bye for now.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the Friends with Money podcast. For credible, independent and easy to understand financial commentary, visit moneymag dot com Au. Please remember that the views and opinions expressed in this podcast are general in nature and further independent advice and research based on your personal circumstances should be sought before making an investment decision