Speaker 1: You can listen to the Front on your smart speaker every morning to hear the latest episode. Just say play the news from the Australian. From the Australian, Here's what's on the Front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Wednesday, September eleventh. Peter Dutton will launch an attack on Prime Minister Anthony Albanezi today, saying mining and resources will be obliterated if the Greens and Teal candidates help Labor win the next election. Queensland's opposition leader, David Chris a Fully has vound to appoint the whistleblower who exposed Australia's biggest ever forensics disaster to overhaul the state's troubled state run DNA lab if his party wins government next month. The bungle was exposed in The Australians podcast Share Story and you can read all about Chris Foley's ambitions for doctor Kirsty Wright now at The Australian dot com dot au. A slick video featuring unprecedented royal scenes of warmth and family love. It's how Catherine, Princess of Wales announced the end of her chemotherapy treatment and declared herself firmly in charge. That's today's story, Kate. People a obviously incredibly curious about you.
Speaker 2: So let's start with the obvious.
Speaker 1: It's late twenty ten and a nervous twenty eight year old Kate Middleton is sitting on a sofar, a giant sapphire engagement ring glinting in the light.
Speaker 2: That's a true romantic and yes, of course, yes, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: Weeks earlier, Kate had becoming gay to one of the world's most eligible bachelors, Prince William.
Speaker 2: We've been talking about marriage for a while, so it wasn't a massively big surprise, but I took her up somewhere nice and Kenya and unproposed.
Speaker 1: Before this ITV interview, she was a girl about London, frequently papped for the tabloids as William's very patient girlfriend.
Speaker 3: She's been dubbed weedy Katie, what is the girl waiting for?
Speaker 1: After it, and probably for the rest of her life, she became the most famous woman in the world and the embodiment of Britain's constitutional monarchy. The dress she wore for the photo call sold out within minutes. Pictures of her blow dry were carried into hair salons all over the globe. The Kate effect was on, and then Catherine retreated, raising her children, showing up at public events, giving me occasional very polite, very guard interview on radio about her work as an advocate for mental health or early childhood causes. She was enigmatic, a beautiful figurehead who managed to be immensely famous while revealing precisely nothing. In the meantime, the Meghan markele fame rockets soared and fell back to earth. The Duchess of Sussex flamed from joy and gratitude.
Speaker 4: Yes, his family has been so welcoming, and.
Speaker 1: A few of them I have to entitlement and despair.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I guess, And also thank you for asking, because not many people have asked if I'm okay to rage concerns and conversations about how dark his skin might be when he's born.
Speaker 1: What and now Meghan is making jam that nobody can buy, while Catherine has spent the year dealing with a cancer diagnosis that has turned her into a kind of saint in Britain.
Speaker 5: On the head, there's Saint Catherine, I call her. She has undergone such a significant battle and appears to be winning that battle, which is so pleasing to everybody.
Speaker 1: Jacqueline Magney is The Australian's europe correspondent.
Speaker 5: We've seen the Royals in a way we've never seen them before, to be so open and affectionate and very relaxed, and the message that Catherine really wanted to tell everybody that she was in control. And I thought it fascinating that we saw this picture of her driving the land Rover and to me, you know, that signifies she's back driving the ship.
Speaker 1: There was a lot of physical touching going on in the video. At one point William kissed her on the cheek. They're cuddling their children, very affectionate family. Those are behaviors that we haven't seen in public from the Wales as before. Are they No?
Speaker 5: Usually they always kind of are very carefully not holding hands at public engagements. There are no public signs of affection. So this shows that they're letting the world into their private family time and they're trying to show a very effectively show that they are a normal family with much love and very close bonds between them all, including Kate's mother and father. I think that the Royals are seeing that in this world of social media that they need to show more of themselves because it's about being seen and even showing that vulnerability and that affection. It's winning over a lot of people, and people are strongly resonating now with the Waleses.
Speaker 1: Catherine has executed a masterful cementing of her authority from the moment she announced in March she had cancer.
Speaker 2: We hope that you'll understand that as a family, we now need some time space and privacy while I complete my treatment.
Speaker 1: On Tuesday, Catherine, now Princess of Wales, released a new video.
Speaker 2: As a summer comes to an end. I cannot tell you what a relief it is to have finally completed my chemotherapy treatment. The last nine months have been incredibly tough for us as a family.
Speaker 1: It's a sleek production. There's beautiful slow motion shots of the gorgeous family of five as they frolic in a field set to an emotive music track.
Speaker 2: Life, as you know, it can change in an instant and we've had to find a way to navigate the stormy waters and road unknown.
Speaker 5: It was only just earlier this year, the beginning of the year, where we didn't know how sick she was, but at the time when she released that photo using photoshop of her with the children, and that was released to reassure everybody that all was well and all wasn't well.
Speaker 1: The photo was released in an attempt to quell misinformation about Catherine's disappearance over the earth early months of twenty twenty four, after what the Palace called planned abdominal surgery. She retreated from public life with no explanation. Where is Keen?
Speaker 5: We haven't seen her in three months?
Speaker 1: He was.
Speaker 5: Catherine in a deal done between the Palace and all of the media organizations that she would release certain photos at certain stages in return for basically a hands off approach by the media in this country, and she kind of broke that trust because she released an image that wasn't true, and so that's why there was such this huge furor about it at the time. I think there would have been a little bit more sympathy if they'd have known how sick she was at the time, and certainly there's been some hasty revisions of opinion about what went on then. I think the Palace has learned a lot from that incident because they've stage managed it very well ever since that they've taken back control they've released information at a time when they fear that there were certain updates that they could provide, and then now to provide this very slick video is them taking it another step further to kind of show the public that they are with the public, that they understand and appreciate the public support, and in return, they are going to let them in with a little window into their life to show them that they are happy and that they're a very happy family.
Speaker 1: There's still a boundary, though there isn't there, Jack. We don't know what sort of cancer Catherine has or had, and she's not obviously going to tell us.
Speaker 5: No, she wants to keep that private, and she hasn't released the cancer, but neither has King Charles. We knew that he had prostate issues, but that the cancer is not prostate cancer. So he also has a cancer that we don't know about what the details are, and we don't really know the extent of their treatment and what it entails.
Speaker 1: Coming out. Why Catherine's candid cancer journey is just what the doctor ordered. Don't forget. You can join our subscribers right now at the Australian dot com dot au and we'll be back after this break.
Speaker 3: I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Let's put it simply, and as you can imagine, it was a bit of a shock.
Speaker 1: That's supermodel Elle McPherson. She's speaking with journalist Tracy Grimshaw about her new autobiography in an episode of sixty Minutes. In the memoir, McPherson revealed she's in remission from breast cancer.
Speaker 3: What were you told needed to happen? Mastect to me? Chemotherapy, radiation and hormone replacement.
Speaker 1: Macpherson said she refused those conventional therapies recommended by doctors in favor of what she called an intuitive, heart led, holistic approach.
Speaker 3: I made a choice to go a more natural root in my treatment because that's what really resonated with me. I had been really looking at the body as in a holistic way, so looking at emotional, mental, spiritual and physical well being, and I believe in the body has the infinite capacity to heal.
Speaker 1: El McPherson's claim she effectively healed her own cancer was met with despair from medical experts and outrage from survivors. On cologist said McPherson had, in fact had a lumpectomy, a completely conventional treatment, and the chemo would not be recommended for her type of cancer anyway. Australian TV legend and breast cancer survivor carry Anne Kennelly told The Australian she feared McPherson's influences such that someone will die trying to replicate her supposed medical success.
Speaker 5: With Catherine. You've seen the shock, the horror, the fear, the vulnerability, and then her progress through it. We got an update at one point where she said she has good days and bad It's a very honest acknowledgment of the trauma that she was going through at the time and what other people go through.
Speaker 2: Doing what I can to stay cancer free is now my focus. Although I have finished chemotherapy, my paths are healing and full. Recovery is long and I must continue to take each day as it comes.
Speaker 5: And she took a very conventional path, and certainly El McPherson took an unconventional path. We just assumed, don't we, that she's got the best doctors in the land. She can afford the best doctors in the land. She hasn't had to go through the NHS system. She's been able to afford to go private and so I'm sure she's taken the best advice as possibly El McPherson has as well, but come to very different decisions.
Speaker 2: To all those who are continuing their own cancer journey. I remain with you, side by side, hand in hand. Out of darkness can come late, so let that light shine. Right.
Speaker 1: Do you think in any way Harry and Meghan have been the catalyst for this change in the Waleses that they've let the public in a bit more because they saw a different way or were criticized for the way that they were doing things.
Speaker 5: I think that some of that is true. I used to go and watch the royals, especially at Christmas time, and Catherine knew exactly where all the photographers were, and she would never look at them. She would always look away. And I remember one year we saw Katherine and Meghan, the whole family, the four of them, walk in and none of the photographers got a photo. The only photo of the four looking at the camera was by a member of the public. And that's because at that stage they didn't like the publicity. Since then we've had, of course, Meghan and Harry's very public and very different way of talking to the world, and so I think that the Waleses have really understood that they need to engage more with the public and they've taken a different way of doing that. But I think that what Meghan and Harry have been doing has definitely influenced how the Palace has reacted to this.
Speaker 1: Jacqueline Magnae is the Australians europe correspondent. All eyes will be on the debate between Donald Trump and Kamala Harris today in the United States. You can follow it live and read all our analysis at the Australian dot com. Dou