Speaker 1: From The Australian. His what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Monday, January twenty. The Federal government has hit trouble in its bid to increase tax on superannuation accounts worth more than three million dollars. The government needs the Greens and at least three Senate crossbenches to pass the bill, but most of the crossbencheres have told The Australian they're against the change. Several elite universities have refused to accept a definition of antisemitism proposed by Holocaust survivors, prompting the Federal Government's Envoy on antisemitism, Jillian Siegel, to say she's disappointed. For thirty three years, Debbie and Earl Schoenberger have kept their daughter Jess alive against all odds. Today what Debbie, Earl, their son Ariel and order Jess can teach us all about love? Sometimes as a journalist, there are stories you keep coming back to in your career, stories that just don't want to let you go. In a case of Fiona Harari, one of our most senior and experienced writers here at The Australian, it's Jess, a young woman who with her family has an extraordinary story playing out in a suburban home just like every other one. He's Fiona reading a little of her latest story about Jess.
Speaker 2: On her most recent birthday, Jess Schoenberger woke to the sounds of joy in her balloon forestoon, Sydney bedroom. Her celebration loving family gathered around her for a photo and produced a bounty of gifts, a David Walliam's book, a watermelon scented candle, and a robotic toy Furbie. Then they performed a rapper of the Happy Birthday song, hoping to disguise the original version, which Jess has never really liked. They seem to have succeeded because Jess responded as she usually does to moments of delight, widening her eyes, raising her brow, and gently grinning, a reaction that elicited even more joy from her family. There was a birthday cake two, but Jess could not eat that, neither could she play with her carefully selected gifts. Yet this November day was an occasion not only of happiness, but also of wonder and of pride, because in another time, Jess was diagnosed with a rare and life limiting genetic condition and doctors told her parents she would not see her third birthday. Devastated, they set about making the rest of her life safe, happy and warm. Encircled by love and supported by a growing list of medical aids and medications. She reached her first birthday having never crawled. She turned too without uttering a word. She turned three. Each birthday was momentous, but this one in late twenty twenty four, with a book that she had to be read because she cannot read, and a scented candle she could not admire, was even more special because on this birthday, after three decades of intensive care, just turned thirty three.
Speaker 1: There's a picture accompanying Fiona's story, which is live now at Beaustralian dot com dot a u slash health. It shows Jess, who's a brunette with fair skin, lying on her side in bed under brightly colored covers, smiling towards the camera. Her mum, Debbie, sits on the bed close to the camera, behind Jess's dad Earl and her brother Ariel. They're all beaming with delight. Fiona has been doing this for a long time and I've learned a lot from her over the years about how to deal with contacts. She can be tough and dispassionate, especially when she knows the subject isn't going to like the story that she's written. And Fiona can also be hugely empathetic and compassionate. She's a writer in our health section, which means she's constantly on the lookout for stories that are about the most important subject of all, how we live, how we feel, how we look after ourselves and one another. And Fiona knew this family story would resonate with our audiences.
Speaker 2: I've sort of known them vaguely over many years, lived in the same area, we had family members who were at similar schools, and I think, in fact, when Jess was really young, I might have even been at a birthday party that she was at, and by that point already had some pronounced difficulties and was in a wheelchair. But I think I really got to know them about twelve years ago, when I wrote a story for another publication about parents who were raising children who had life limiting illnesses, so, in other words, parents raising children who were going to die in childhood. I interviewed a number of families for that story. I went to a children's hospice and in fact, in the course of doing that story, one of the children actually died during the period that I was doing the interviews. It was an incredibly difficult subject to tackle. But what's amazing, I think in Jess's case over the past twelve years, is that it seems to me that although her life is extremely difficult and contained, and it's not probably like the life that anyone most of us would ever come across, her story has actually become one now, not of dying, but of living. And I think that even as I approached her family to do this next story now that she's thirty three, I really didn't expect this to be such a positive story and the warmth and optimism of this family to shine so brightly, and that I think is really what's changed, I think remarkably now that Jess's thirty three.
Speaker 1: Everything they say this family is about gratitude for Jess, about how Jess has taught them something about living and about how to seize every day, to seize the moment. But they're not shy about admitting that life has been tough, are they.
Speaker 2: Not at all? And I think that's what well. It certainly makes it easier to interview them, and it makes it easier to tell their story to other people. They do have extremely restrained lives. When Jess was born, there was no way of knowing that the parents carry this gene that has caused her to have Canivan disease. But by the time her brother came along, they were able to do some testing to make sure that he wasn't also born with it, so they're fully aware of what they deal with. But the fact that Jess is here at thirty three is basically testament to the fact that her parents have been able to get together a group of people very much steered by Debbie and Earl Jess's parents, who are literally beside Jess around the clock. Because Jess cannot swallow, the biggest risk to her life at thirty three is that she might asphyxiate because she can't swallow her salivas. So they have people with her not only constantly, but they have to have people who have to suction her constantly. But in between, you know, moving her and doing all the things that they need to keep her alive, there is so much effort put into making her life, which is very contained, as joyous as possible, and in fact, Earl said that his benchmark for every day is did Jess laugh today? And pretty much every day they get some laughter out of her. And you go into a story like this not knowing what you'll see, not knowing what to expect, and when you see how limited Jess is in terms of her movements, you can see her the expressions in her face that she does express joy, which is a really beautiful thing. Her mum loves to, for example, squeeze rubbish in front of her, or ring bells or make really silly animal sounds, and you can see from Jess's face her joy in that. So they make it so much easier to talk about their lives because they're so honest about it. But they yes, there is a level of a huge level of gratitude that I think most of us don't get to witness in our everyday lives.
Speaker 1: Coming up the conversation with a specialist, the family will never forget and why they've been so determined to keep Jess smiling. There's a moment that Debbie describes in your story before Jess's third birthday of sitting down with a specialist who spoke to them in a way that clearly to Debbie and Earl sounded extremely harsh and stark. Debbie quotes the specialist saying, you're only going to have her till she's three. She's not going to walk, she's not going to talk, she's not going to sit up. I can sort of feel that this specialist might have been trying to sort of steal the family's spine, you know, to say this will be over soon, trying to be kind in this kind of stark delivery of this diagnosis. But clearly they didn't see it that way.
Speaker 2: I think the fact that they still remember that encounter thirty three years ago so clearly gives you some sense of how much it's stung them and continues to.
Speaker 1: To be fair.
Speaker 2: There are so few cases of canneb and disease that this doctor probably had never met anyone with it. But they were basically delivered this information, and then the doctor walked out of the room and said, well, Illa, you sit here as long as you want to digest that information. He was right in what he said. She didn't walk, she didn't talk, she didn't eat. What is extraordinary is that she has defied the odds by you know, thirty years. But even so, I do under stand the hurt that they carry from that conversation, because it is probably the most terrible conversation a parent will ever ever hear, and to be imparted with that information in a really clinical way is probably not the way you would do it today.
Speaker 1: I think it really goes to something that I think that runs underneath this story, a current that runs underneath it, which is I suppose an old fashioned or maybe conventional idea that listen, your lives are going to be easier if you just let go a little bit and let this baby pass away, let her die, then you can move on with your lives. They have spent more than three decades actively preventing that from happening, immense self sacrifice. Do you do you think that they reflect on that choice that they've made, or for them, was it not a choice?
Speaker 2: Well, this is their life, Jess is their life. Keeping Jess going, making her as comfortable and as happy as possible, has become their life. It's interesting because after I interviewed them twelve years ago, I would drop in sometimes to visit them afterwards. I don't often stay in contact with people after stories, but I felt that I wanted to see how she was doing, and sometimes I would drive past their area and think they're still there every day, you know, doing these remarkable things for their daughter with so much love. And then to be able to step back into their home again after twelve years, and the absolute joy that Debbie greeted me with. I interviewed her late last year, just after gestioned thirty three, and she said, honestly, I just want to dance. I'm so happy. This is just the most amazing thing that our daughter is here at thirty three. I think what this family in this story have made me realize is that you shouldn't judge someone by how they look or what you think the circumstances of their life might be, because you know, love appears in many different guys and it has some truly remarkable outcomes. And I think this family is a testament to you can live a different life. You cannot go very far, but you can produce a tribe of remarkable people with their hearts in the best places.
Speaker 1: Fiona Harari is a senior writer with The Australian. You can read her story and all the rest of our journalism about health and everything else right now at The Australian dot com dot au