Speaker 1: What a tangle web we have created with the brave new world of computing.
Speaker 2: And the thing is it prays on people's ego. You don't want them coming back at you. If they're smart, they can ruin you. Yes, if they get a vindictive sort of streak on. Jenny just walked up beside me with her iPad and pointed it. Yes, pointed at the screen podcast scam. Oh, I see, and then there it is. Then we opened it. After it, John, we opened it. He followed the exact script, even down to the feet.
Speaker 1: I'm Andrew Rule. This is life and Crimes. It's many a long day since we had as a guest here my old mate Marty Fields. Now Marty Fields is known to most of our listeners as a very funny man. He has been the length and breadth of the wide Brown and Land, entertaining people for far too long, probably Marty, but you come here today not really to crack jokes so much as warners about a very sophisticated scam that almost got under your guard.
Speaker 2: It certainly did.
Speaker 1: And how did this happen? Marty? What what went on? Well?
Speaker 2: Look, you and I we've both been around a bit, and you know we know we know you well. You know, we know how to spot a wood duck. We also know how to spot someone who's trying to have a bit of a end of us.
Speaker 1: They're known as the black duck.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah, I wonder what kind of duck they were. Anyhow, I got a very innocuous email from a guy saying, we're very impressed with you, know what you've achieved with your career. We run a podcast in the United States. This lady is called Kendrew G and they represent themselves as Kendrew G Management. Now I didn't know Kendrad jiguse I don't really listen to any podcasts except yours and mine, so I didn't know who she was. But apparently she's she's quite a big deal, and this sploke represented her and he said please feel free to google it, and I did so, and my wife, who's also not a deal, she looked up. She seems real. It has a podcast goes out Saturday night out of la And I said, okay, fair enough. Anyway, right back, Yes, that'd be interesting. He wants to talk to me, that's his thing. He wants to just chat with me about going on the podcast for an.
Speaker 1: Hour So this person that is in touch purports to be the management of Kendred j correct. It says I want to talk to you Marty in Australia about yes stuff.
Speaker 2: And the platform he wants to use is some sort of Facebook face to face video platform. I'm not particularly familiar with it. I've got a Facebook page which has got probably maybe I guess around three hundred thousand people who follow. It's just jokes and just you know, occasionally I'll say something deep, but that's really very rare, and I thought, well, that's nice. He's noticed me. So my ego has been given a bit of a pom, which is lovely. And you know, I have been at this caper a fair while, so I'm thinking, oh, well, you know, this is the sort of thing that you occasionally get notsed for out of your own domain. That'll be all right. So they offered a three thousand dollars US fee for an hour.
Speaker 1: And how did that strike you average?
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, that seems to be like that that would fall into a gig fee for me. I have to go around the corner, and when you're doing it on your machine at home, you don't have to go anywhere, so.
Speaker 1: That strikes you. It just fits very neatly. Yes, And they may well have known that that's right.
Speaker 2: They clearly had sort of done this before. And that's what I thought at the time. They've hit the right mark because I'm not the first person that they've used for this podcast, not thinking that it's a learned experience from trying to give you a bit of a twist. Anyway, So we back and forward a bit and I try to explain to him that my Facebook doesn't work like that. It's just a page, it's not a friend's Facebook thing. Can we do it on Zoom? Can we do it on meetings? Can we do it on another platform? No? No, and no. I said, look, I've tried to do this before, set up you face to face things on Facebook. It doesn't work. He said, I can talk you through it. I said, okay, fair enough. He said, let's have a Zoom meeting on Friday morning and we'll go through it. And I said, yeah, okay, cool. So we did that. He said it'll be nine am Melbourne time and I said, okay, cool. You just so you know that's five hours behind LA time. He said, yes, I know, yes, I know. This is not speaking this is all writing, so at the moment I can't hear his language or his talk or his it's all words. And he says okay. And then I'm in front of the screen at nine am. No him, no zoom, no let into the meeting. Nothing. So I email him saying I'm here. What's going on? He said, I got the times wrong. It's ten am. Sorry, that's that's three pm LA time. And I said, okay, cool. So I come back at ten am and we have a chat. He can see me. I can't see him. All I can see is the graphic of the show at Kendred g Management. So I can't see him, but I can hear him. He's got a South African accent, not not broad, not anything, so he not really Plenty of South Africans go to America.
Speaker 1: LA's full of people from somewhere else.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right, Andrew. And I said to him, look, I don't know how to do this. He said, that's fine, I'll talk you through it better. Still, why don't we just Are you in front of your computer? I said, no, I'm in front of the iPad. He said, we'll go upstairs. Get in front of your computer, all right, now click on your Facebook icon and it comes up and he says, okay, now you see down the side, and I said, no, it's not like that. It's not set up like you're explaining it. He said, but let me do it for you. Just punch this code into your computer and I can operate it and get it up for you. Bang alarm bell. Because we're all told never give control to your computer to anybody else in the whole wide world unless there's somebody you're paying two hundred dollars an hour to fix your computer from, you know, one of those tech y So then said to him, just in past, I said, this will take a minute. Gen Z is pricked up because she can hear it. Now. I'm up next to her office, and that's my wife, and.
Speaker 1: She's the sort of clever one of the yeah, well you look at it and beautiful.
Speaker 2: She only staying at arms because it's easier than kissing me goodbye. And she says, who's that and I said it's the guy from LA and she said, oh yeah, And he said, so, how's it been going over there? And I said, great, a pity about what's going on with you guys over there? With the fires that come back and he said, what fires.
Speaker 1: Oh that is so interesting. And so this has happened right in the middle of the big fires. Yes, in La. Yes, it's on front of mine for everybody. Yes there, and you've mentioned it. Yes, and no they're there. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The Robbert's red glare not there.
Speaker 1: Oh dear.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So now I'm very cautious and I'm saying, look, I might get someone here to work it out for me and then you can get back to me. And he said you need to do it now. We need to do it now, and then you know, you can pick an urger. And I said, no, no, I let me get this right over here, because I get it right for you. I can get it right for everybody, so it'd be great. So you're actually helping me. So I'm not making the bloke dirty. I'm just still playing the wood duck right, perfect, right, Because if you get them filthy, they don't want to come You don't want them coming back at you. If they're smart, they can ruin you, yes, if they get a vindictive sort of streak on you, So you've got to keep nice. Yeah, But I patted him down. He said, Okay, I'll get back in touch. With you very soon. So, as it turns out, today Andrew I got a WhatsApp message from him saying, we spoke the other day. I want to keep talking and see if we can make this work. How did you go with your tech guy? Blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: I see, And so having decided that he is, you know, a shank and you know this for sure? Now, yes, and we'll go into that, what is your what's going to be your reaction to sort of stay nice but rebuff him?
Speaker 2: I know, radio silence?
Speaker 1: Now, radio silence?
Speaker 2: Yeah, radio silence. They'll get sick of man, go on to someone else.
Speaker 1: To go back in the story a little bit. What was your reaction then, once you twigged that you know he's a shonk and you've realized that you are not a wood duck. You on the ball, and you thought, what'll I do next? Up to research this? What did you find out?
Speaker 2: I didn't have to do anything, because Jenny just walked up beside me with her iPad and pointed it should yes, pointed at the screen podcast scam, I see, and then there it is. Then we opened it. After he'd gone we opened it. He followed the exact script even down to the fee.
Speaker 1: The fee, even the exact fee.
Speaker 2: The whole thing. So it's a podcast scam. And so then you say to yourself what do they get out of it? Like you understand that if someone's trying to scam you out of a million dollars, they're trying to get a million dollars. Yeah, what do they get out of this?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Well, apparently what they do if you have enough followers, it's worthwhile for them to take over your page.
Speaker 1: Did you fall into a band of targets?
Speaker 2: Exactly?
Speaker 1: You're that relatively rare creature that has a lot of.
Speaker 2: Followers, yes, right, and then they impersonate you, yes, by getting inside your Facebook thing?
Speaker 1: And what damage could they do then, Mark.
Speaker 2: Well, then they lock you out for stars.
Speaker 1: Oh that's not good.
Speaker 2: No, So you've got no control. All the people that you would be telling hey, this is a scam. You can't tell because they're the people who are still looking at your page thinking it's you.
Speaker 1: They're they're driving your car, that's right, wearing your hat exactly, speeding through yes, stop signs.
Speaker 2: Yes, waving, and styling's see no it's not. So. He then monetizes putting on things on my page that he reaps the money from. Then he starts to try and sell them fake donations and fake everything, which of course completely ruins my reputation. Yes, business wise, commercially, entertainment all gone. And also you've lost all your followers.
Speaker 1: So of course it's not the worst thing that could happen. No, but it's pretty catastrophic in a commercial sense. Yes, yes, it's not brain cancer, that's right, but it's not nice, that's right. And the thing is, this is not the first time it's happened to me about God. Fifteen years ago, in a much less sophisticated world, a guy emailed me saying, I am the pastor at Devon, our lady of the Twisted Sancho Church or whatever in Devon in the old Country.
Speaker 2: Yes, Devon, which I thought at the time was a kind of chopped lunch meat. But it turns out it's a joint. It's a joint, and it sounds like a city, doesn't it. They all sound like cities. And he said, we want you to come and performed at our winter Solstice celebrations on you know, Jed December, the whatever, and to be marvelous, and we're going to pay you twenty thousand pounds.
Speaker 1: And again you thought it was twenty thousand pounds sound a bit rich to you.
Speaker 2: Well, it's it's an overseas trip. It's a long time like that'd be my conference fee, going.
Speaker 1: Okay, content for five wasn't so it wasn't mad.
Speaker 2: No, it wasn't mad. It was high as high.
Speaker 1: But not mad.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: So you're still on the hook. Then, yeah, you go, this is free, this is great, this is a second honeymoon.
Speaker 2: So I send in my bio and things and he goes, yes, I know who you are. You know, we've got people here from Australia that want to see you. You know, that's why we get it's why you and you know, blah blah blah. And I said, okay, fantastic. He said, Now all we need to do is get your visa organized to come over bang visa because we've just come back from the United States. I'm very skilled, and who needed a visa to go where. Besides that time, Jenny, my wife, was managing professional golfers and the majority of her job was involved in getting the mental inos countries.
Speaker 1: And you knew she knew. Both of you knew. No visa for the UK.
Speaker 2: No, no visa for the U. And he said, just send us a copy of your passport. That's all they wanted.
Speaker 1: That's all they wanted.
Speaker 2: All that nonsense was just so. I rang the pastor at Devon, the Swiss. Yes, that's right, I found the church and I rang him. Oh God, not another one, for goodness, a scam boy. Hundreds of these dumb calls a week. I can't take it anymore, you know. So, poor bugger. He's over there, you know, and they're using it accent. Thank you. You're using him as the white ball bouncing around on the rule up whell He an absolute passenger in this scam, same as me. His reputation is being slowly ruined.
Speaker 1: That is this one? So all they really want? Of course, I just want to get your details and then they can do bad things with your passport exactly. They can well tell me what they might do with your past.
Speaker 2: Well, they can get a credit card, they can get a driver's.
Speaker 1: License, false ID, that's right, build a false.
Speaker 2: Get alone in your name at the bank for five hundred thousand dollars for a property, all that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Oh goodness, gracious mate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're really bad.
Speaker 1: What a tangle web we have created with the brave new world of computing.
Speaker 2: And the thing is it praise on people's ego. It does praise on people's need to want to help. That's another kind of scam where that you know, they pretend you're you're getting a phone call from your daughter on a number you don't know, and it's just a text saying Dad, I've lost my phone and it has my credit card in it. Can you please just send some money to the ATM, the A and Z in South Melbourne or something and give me the code and I'll go and get it out right.
Speaker 1: And sometimes they pick up. If they send one hundred of those, they might get one live one.
Speaker 2: It's all lines in the water. That was the theory behind the Nigerian prince.
Speaker 1: I think it's ridiculous. But one one little old lady with cataract, that's it.
Speaker 2: They press a button on a computer. They can send a million emails in a second. Yes, so if only one of them comes back, that's a decent day's work, if you you know. And just as it's quiet tip, if you didn't know anything about global politics, you're never going to get an email from a Nigerian prince. Because it's a presidential democracy. They only have a royal family.
Speaker 1: Haven't had one since the last one was eaten in about sixteen fifth.
Speaker 2: Correct, delicious, I believe, but not around, Yes, exactly. Insert forty three funny missionary jokes here. I'll leave that for another time.
Speaker 1: So are there funny missionary jokes? Oh?
Speaker 2: Hysterical?
Speaker 1: Yeah, to do with missionary positions?
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, but this is a family show.
Speaker 1: So you don't work blue? Did your dad work blue?
Speaker 2: Not much? No, it never swore never.
Speaker 1: We're referring, of course, to the late great Murrayfield. Yeah, one of the icons of my childhood. When my grandmother turned on the telly in the bush in the plan way back in the old black and white days.
Speaker 2: There he was on Belbert, he certainly was. He was on Belbert, he was on homicide, he was on skyways, he was on flying doctors with mum. He did all sorts of things like that. Anyway, Also, imagine how many people would have tried to target him with his profile, but fortunately he never got.
Speaker 1: Fun Fortunately he was no longer with us before he could.
Speaker 2: Be targeting exactly. It was an old Carnie as well. He would have picked up on it. The other reason that people get done also, and it's unfortunate, is because of greed.
Speaker 1: So you're saying that beautiful alloy, that mix of ego and greed is the perfecto. And we've all got it. We've all got ego, we've all got greed. Absolutely at some level.
Speaker 2: You know, why get five percent on your money when with a better offer, with a little bit more risk, you can get twelve percent on your money or fifteen percent. Yes, So it's never you going to quintupple your money. It's always why get five percent? We can give you eleven percent. And then they just doctor up a page that looks like AMP, or looks like CBA, looks like anything. Yeah, and they can get you in again all lines in the water. The more people yeah they can get to, the more chances they are.
Speaker 1: I have to say that after we had a phone conversation the other day, I started to scroll through the computer looking for this and for this very interesting stories to do with this game. It goes back away, but despite the fact that it's been exposed, it keeps cropping up because it's such a plausible thing that they find someone like in the entertainment business like yourself or someone like that who's got a lot of followers, who is in the gig economy. They do gigs and they haggle over prices and the perfect target. Absolutely, because you are dealing with managers and management and booking agents and promoters every week, haven't you.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Now, normally we would just pass this on to our agents, but as it turned out, it was in the middle of January, offices are closed, so every little element it ticked every box. It's very clever, you know. And I admired that, like I got done in Rome. Heaven we all I got done in Rome in nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 1: Could you just clarify that please.
Speaker 2: I got out of the train at the Century Terminy station in fresh off the plane from Australia, Yes, and wheeled most suitcases to my hotel room. And then I had to go for a walk because there wasn't enough room in the room for me and the cases at the same time. Small put the key in the front door and broke the back windows. A small room. I rang room services. I could just send me a room. It's small like anyway, So I'm going for a walk. And I walked back past the station and some guy walks up to me, blonde hair, Swedish accent. He says, hey, how are you And I said yeah, good. He said you're just visiting. I said yeah, I just got here, you know, and you just want to have a chat. You don't know anybody in the joint. And he says, do you want some drugs? And I said, nah, I'm all right. And he said I got, I got, I got some weed. It's nothing, you know, it's just some hash. It's really good stuff. I said no, no, I'm fine and said, oh okay, and bang a car pulls up right beside us, and two blokes get out. And I had done my research and apparently in Italy, the less you look like a copper, the more likely it is you are a copper.
Speaker 1: I see.
Speaker 2: The least powerful police have the most magnificent uniforms, all right, the parking office unbelievable, Mussolini, unbelievable, right up to the real detectives, who just looked like tent warms Colombo.
Speaker 1: Terrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, shock it. So they tumble out of this car, these two guys. One grabs him, one grabs me right, and they put him in front of so I can see him over the shoulder of the dude that's talking to me, and he starts talking to me in it and I said, no, no English inglis. He said, okay, did he offer to sell you drugs? And I said, I don't know. I don't want to give the bloke up. And I said, and I wasn't listening. He said he sells drogs. I said does he? He said yeah, did he try and sell your drugs? I said no. He said, can I search you? And I said what for? And he said I'm going to search you? And so I said all right, and I just put my hands up and he just gave me a bit of a frisk. If I had had drugs, he wouldn't found him anyway, you know. And I can see the bloke over his shoulder putting that blonde die in their car, right, So I'm thinking, okay, they've got him. And now the second guy comes over to me and he said, has he got drugs? You know they took obviously that's what they were saying to each other in Italian. And I said no. He said, you just get here and I said yeah. I said, welcome to early It's nice. Have you got money on you. I said, yeah, I do. He said, well, where do you keep it? And I said, it's just in my pocket at the moment I brought out and I just had six hundred thousand lira, which was six hundred bucks. And I said this, and he said, I don't carry it like that. You need to put it in your little waistband thing. So he opened up my waistband, you know, my thing, and he shoved it in there, right, and then he closed the zip and he said, that's where you want to keep it, and I said, okay, thank you. He said, don't put it in your pockets are very dangerous. Enjoy your time, and really into the car. They sped off. Two hours later, after seeing my nineteenth museum and twenty fourth overpriced clothing shop, I went to have some lunch. I opened up my little thing. There's my ward of money with one hundred thousand ra on the outside and inside tens.
Speaker 1: Oh lovely. He'd just done the he'd.
Speaker 2: Done the most magnificent palms. So instead of getting filthy because it was six hundred so I'd lost five hundred dollars, right, But instead of I just leant back in the back of my chair, sipped macafe laty and said, well, that was beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just.
Speaker 2: Felt like that the Sting should be playing in the background because it's the start of the sting. It's absolutely, yes, beautiful bit of con how Luther does it and how Luther does it. Yeah, it's just a wonderful thing and it's real.
Speaker 1: Without doubt, one of the most entertaining books and films and bit of ragged on music.
Speaker 2: Yes, wonderful. I played it all as a kid on the piano. There's all those tunes, the Scott Joplin stuff. Wonderful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's nothing you can't do. I don't know about that now, Marty, I think we should talk about what people should do if they've been scammed.
Speaker 2: Well, what would you do?
Speaker 1: I'd panic, I'd swear, I'd sit down, I'd make a cup of tea and then I'd think. Now I'd start I think it through and come down a bit. But it will take me a while to sort of settle.
Speaker 2: Well, the first thing you should do is contact scam Watch, Is that right? Yeah, the government website. All you have to do is Google. I think I have been scammed. What do I do if I've been scammed? It will send you straight to that government. Make sure it's the right one there, otherwise you could get done there too, and fill out the forms they ask for any photographic evidence, anything you can give them. That's going to help them because it's a collective knowledge database that they've got, and then they can release information on the net saying watch out for the podcast scam, watch out for the you know, the devon priest thing all that poor bugger still feel bad.
Speaker 1: He died from that accent.
Speaker 2: He was that old, had a signed copy of the Bible. Old the dead sea was just getting sick anyway, he is a target for us today. But that is a sad thing for him. But what you need to do, get on to scam Watch. They'll take all your details. They'll also give you an idea of what to do. First thing you should do is try and close off the conduit of funds, if there is such a thing. If that's what they're doing, so directly contact your bank, Directly contact your credit card, thing all that. See what's happened and see if you have actually lost anything. If not, bang pulled the roll door down, change passwords, change this, change that, make yourself immune again.
Speaker 1: Tell me this to go back to your case. Had it been three weeks later and your agent was around, would they have got to your agent and could they have got any sense from the agent. Could they scam the agent?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't have thought.
Speaker 1: So I'm not trying to think this through. I can't. Yeah, I can't think that fast.
Speaker 2: I think yeah. I think that they get around the agent by saying it's not a huge amount of money. Okay, you know what I mean, because occasionally my agency pretty cool that sort of stuff. You know, there's little things that it's more work to them that it's worth and if I'm happy, just like it's just a podcast sitting at home at the piano, right, Oh, okay, I don't have to do anything. They don't have to do anything. I would put the money back through my agency so they can cop a whack out of it, but I'd organize it's simply just to make it easier, right Anyway. The funny thing I saw on the scam Watch thing was be careful of companies that now contact you offering to help get your money back, because a lot of them can be scams as well. Now, I want to know how they get that that If you know what I.
Speaker 1: Mean that they already know that someone's a target of a scam. Yes, that is a very good point.
Speaker 2: It is very good, isn't it.
Speaker 1: It's a left hand doing following the right hand. Yes.
Speaker 2: If they have no luck with you, they might put you in the follow up in two weeks. Oh, pile, he's wonder welcome. This is scam Watch contacting you. Thank you for contacting us.
Speaker 1: Is there anything quite as efficient as corruption and criminality?
Speaker 2: Apparently not.
Speaker 1: It's so good. They work around the clock. Yes, and nothing's too hard for them.
Speaker 2: And when AI gets going, forget about it, because what you're going to be able to see is me calling you on a video phone saying, Andrew, I need a grant. I've got the fourth leg of the quaditya. It's an absolute matza, but I can't quite get the funds up. Blah blah blah. And you're seeing my face but no, I'm an absolute computer generated image. Oh my goodness, it's all coming.
Speaker 1: That's not going to be good for some people.
Speaker 2: No, it's not going to be good for anybody. Really. I think AI will be the end of the world. That that's another story.
Speaker 1: It could be. It might infect all sorts of things.
Speaker 2: Anyway, let's not leave it or no, no, if people want to follow me, yes, just go to Facebook. Just don't go to normal Facebook. Go to Facebook pages, Facebook pages. Yeah, it's or just google Marty Field's comedian, Marty Field's comedian and you'll see my beautiful face there.
Speaker 1: And is it an old fighter?
Speaker 2: No, it's so mean. I know I'm not that good looking. Well, I've never been good looking, Andrew neither of No mate. When I was a kid, what happened? My parents put me in an ugly baby competition? They said, sorry, no professionals.
Speaker 1: Oh that'sble now. I know we've been through this before. But some of our listeners, there are many more of them now, and some of them won't know the story about your late mother, val who passed away down and I'm going to say Port Melbourne, but Albert Park it's close to Port Melbourne. And of course she came from an era back in the vaudeville days and all the rest of where she knew a lot of scaley wags and scoundrels as your dad did in the nicest possible way. And what did you find when you were cleaning out your mother's nice little house.
Speaker 2: Four guns? Four four guns?
Speaker 1: Is that all he was? I thought there were fourteen four and.
Speaker 2: I sent you pictures of them. And the curtains were weighed down with bullets. Not those slugs that you see in normal old curtains. These were bullets. That's where they'd put them down the curtain.
Speaker 1: Is that a fact? And so she had now just run through this for benefit of our listens, listen to the no, no, no, this it live. This the bedside draw table.
Speaker 2: There was a handgun on the bedside draw There was there was a rifle under the floor. There was a rifle behind the wardrobe, and there was a sawn off in the back shed which I had been using to put what was long sort of garden stakes in because all I could see were the two holes coming out.
Speaker 1: Just popped them in there. Yeah, well, I'm glad it wasn't loaded and cocked.
Speaker 2: Because no, so they would shot, wouldn't guy, rocket wouldn't be good, very bad.
Speaker 1: You formed the belief I think that after a particular the incident in the neighborhood where Chap was shot dead, that maybe one of the scally wags or scoundrels came around and popped out a rifle in my father's boot, your father's boot, the Kings would the Premier, the Gold Premier, sorry, the gold. Dad drove around with it for six weeks and then the bloke.
Speaker 2: Came and got it back and that was yeah, And that was who was that chap? That might have been Mark Brandon Reid. Really, yes, that was my understand that's what Dad told me. I'm not sure if they's accurate. I don't think Dad knew who that guy was. A young fella, heavily set, short dark hair. Oh well, but probably might not have been. I think Dad might have made a false connection there. But I definitely know that it was the gun that was involved in a matter at the Druids Hotel.
Speaker 1: I see that is so interesting.
Speaker 2: But I don't know why the Texan anyway of.
Speaker 1: The Texan was involved. Well, the Texan got locked up for it, yes, and he was clearly you know, close by.
Speaker 2: But Dad knew all the p and D so did I. At the Council Club, that was fun.
Speaker 1: That was great, good audiences.
Speaker 2: With fabulous big tippers, laughers. Big tippers love to sing along, fight like forty men, all of them. It was always a stink.
Speaker 1: But it was.
Speaker 2: There were funny fights, not normal sort of like you see now, terrible shocking things to look at. These were hilarious, like they were all having a blue one night outside Her Majesty's hotel in Paran, all these old knock about gangsters having the biggest stink of all time. And one of them said, I've just done me gold tooth. It's gone somewhere. They all stopped, and they stopped, and they're all looking on the ground. Come over here. It's not over there, I know, but the light's better over here, you know. And they found it, got it banged straight back in into it we go again.
Speaker 1: That's true story. Yeah, they're a bit different. They from the fellows that we've seen mowed down Sam the Punisher, who they don't look for gold teeth.
Speaker 2: No, they wouldn't have to look too far in that circumstance.
Speaker 1: I should.
Speaker 2: No, I don't like to see anybody, you know, getting hurt and stuff. But it's a real lived by the sword prophecy, isn't it. And just before we wrap up, because I've got a a you know, you've got places to go, I've got things to do, and there's something in the boot not getting any fresher anyway.
Speaker 1: Not a body. It might be a body, but not a human.
Speaker 2: No, you've got to I'm done with.
Speaker 1: It might be just a choke.
Speaker 2: Look, honestly, if my grandfather knew how little we spent on his funeral, he'd be rolling over in the garage now. So something I just wanted to point out. Often you'll get an email from your bank, or from a building society, or from Visa or American Express or something like that, or very very commonly from PayPal or a mob like that. You might be involved. You might have an account with PayPal or something like that. It will say, we just are doing a quick security check. We suggest it's time to change your password. Blah blah blah. If you see a link in the email, never ever ever click that link, because that immediately says that it's a scam. No building society, no bank, No.
Speaker 1: Send a link.
Speaker 2: They would never send a link. They would always say, please log into your PayPal account, or please log into your bank account, please contact your branch. No link, no link, Never click on any email link ever. Ever. That's exactly it. When in doubt, do nothing.
Speaker 1: I ignore stuff, and I think, well, one day I noticed there was a small problem. I didn't register a car for nine months and my brother in law was driving it and got pulled up and that was a little bit sad. But anyway, the fine was only the same amount as I'd saved in registration. Oh perfect. Anyway, that's another story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, that's that's very good. Now, don't ever do that. That's really important. And that's that's very very common way that they get you, because the way they can mock things up now to look exactly like a cormal thing is incredible.
Speaker 1: Of course they can. And we I mean we open computers, we look at the page. How can you pick one?
Speaker 2: And you're on the phone all the time? Your phone's got emails and you sit there. You're boring, you know, and so you jump on your phone and you're not looking too closely either. And some of these links you only need to bump on with your thumb and suddenly you're you're in there, and you still think you're on the same page.
Speaker 1: And again they've sent out five thousand of them. They only need five to be live.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. So, for example, your bank often sends out online statements. That's fine, but it always says like I'm with the Commonwealth.
Speaker 1: It says me too.
Speaker 2: Well, they would say, log into your net.
Speaker 1: Common would like to sponsor our show. Here.
Speaker 2: I see why they wouldn't you to run around with their jump around?
Speaker 1: Do you think if they're having a sort of a Christmas party or something like guests.
Speaker 2: To come along you and I, what do you think to loose pages from the Book of fun?
Speaker 1: We will be loose? Is the right word. Now. When we started this conversation, Mardy, it started out as saying that you got something from somebody who purported to be the management of one Kendred g That's right.
Speaker 2: Now. She definitely is not involved. There's absolutely no way that she proper. She is a real proper person with a real propper probably very interesting podcast. I could listen to it. But it's it's clever because all they had to do was say, you know, set up an email address kendreg Management at gmail dot com. You can set up anything at gmail dot com. Yeah, at hotmail or whatever.
Speaker 1: And when you clicked on the computer and looked at it, there's the logo on the screen.
Speaker 2: Which they've just copied off her web easy. It's so easy.
Speaker 1: It's that simple.
Speaker 2: With it and the thing is, it's how really good magicians work. You think no one would go to that amount of trouble to make that work. So my brain is going to eliminate that possibility of how they did it. Yes, and I'm going to look for the most obvious ways that they could have done it. Yes, that's how the great magicians work. They do things that are so clever and intrinsic and time consuming. Thing you couldn't possibly have set up a radio controlled thing in your pocket that is sending a signal to a light at the back of the room that is flashing so the guy can see how many somethings there are that would have taken so much time, and you wouldn't have set it up in every theater that you're doing on the tour.
Speaker 1: But yes, they do, Yes, okay, ye, these are the magicians of the scamming age.
Speaker 2: They are, they are, and they are to be applauded. If you can remain impervious to them, sit back and watch the show. It's entertaining. And speaking of entertaining, I'll leave you with this. There are some fantastic things on Instagram. By the way, you can follow me on Instagram too, that's always fun. There's people getting scammers angry, so they film themselves talking to the scammer in Indonesia or some wonderful it's so funny, and they screaming at them. No, I'm not quite sure what you're telling me to do.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I drive them crazy. It's so entertaining. So if you can find some of them, they're a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: I have a relative who sometimes finds scammers. There's a lot of low level scammers. They offer something for sale and you ring up, you know, and I want to buy your car yea. And of course anybody who's really selling a caravan or a horse slade for a couch, they're very inclined to want to sell it. So if you say I'm going to come around with my trailer and pick it up and buy you, the real ones are going to go, yeah, beauty, you know, I'll see you in an hour. But these ones go, oh no, no, mate, I've got a babysitting the kids. No, no, I've got concert tickets tonight. That's right, and all this. And my cousin what he does sometimes is ring them up and badge of them, say I can get around there. I've got cash and know them all. It's good, good, good, very funny. And on that note, we are going to think Marty Fields for making the time to come all the way from where he lives in another postcode almost and took to us here at Harold's Son headquarters to Life and Crimes. Your life. You've known a lot of crimes along the way, but you've never committed any or not many.
Speaker 2: I've never been caught, never convicted.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening. Life and Crimes is a Sunday Herald Sun production for True Crime Australia. Our producer is Johnty Burton. For my columns, features and more, go to haroldsun dot com dot au, forward slash Andrew rule one word. For advertising inquiries, go to news podcasts sold atnews dot com dot au. That is all one word news podcast's soul. And if you want further information about this episode, links are in the description.