Speaker 1: But we're back for another edition of the Daily Telegraph Eneral podcast. Pem Wyley, I'll go to you first because the team has been upsetting me this morning for here.
Speaker 2: So why Yeah, Wata.
Speaker 3: I just suggested that Penris missing Dylan Edwards and James Fisher Harris is the equivalent of Paramatta missing eight players on the weekend. I called it roster math.
Speaker 1: Please, can you everyone just an email Fatima and let her know what you think about that, because.
Speaker 2: I'm just going to run lot some names.
Speaker 1: Mitchell, Moses, Junior Barlow, Mike Acivo, Jermaine Hopgood, Charlie Geimer, Hayes Dunster, Luca Moretti.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll let you include Luca Baretti and Charlie Geimer. How many games combined they played?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: Charlie Gomer had two really good games and then got injured. So have you an issue with Charlie? Al Right, Okay, if I asked for backup one thing and you turned on me, foxle with you.
Speaker 2: Let's let's get how was your weekend?
Speaker 3: It was good? Yeah, it was full on a lot of footy, a lot of good games to watch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was lots of good NURL action and RLW action. So yeah, yeah, they've gone great guns.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So yeah, it was long. It was a long weekend. I was up in Newcastle yesterday so yeah, long day.
Speaker 2: Long.
Speaker 3: It was a long day. Yeah, but good day.
Speaker 1: What about now that we're putting you know what on people's teams about your Raiders.
Speaker 3: Listen, if you read the tackle, you know that I was very well at least skating of one person, Joe Tarping in that performance.
Speaker 1: But yeah, fifty thirty eight tackles. Jeez, how could you pick on him? What did you go wrong?
Speaker 3: Come on, you cannot be the guy who's going to be the spiritual leader of this club moving forward once Big Papa's gone and then be sent SimBin for descent of a referee. That's like rookie areas. And they were still in the match at that point. Manley scored three tries while he was simbind and it was, you know, the start of the game almost that they were up for it. Obviously it was a big game because even though it was Josh properly his three hundred and first game, it was Canberra celebration of that. You know, the old boys were there, his family was there. He's got a try in his mind. I guess it wasn't wasn't his milestone match, but his milestone celebration. And they were in it until Tarpani got simbind in the second half and then at just that point crumbled. So and they had a lot to play for. I still, you know, it's two games now where they had a lot to play for and haven't really shown up. But yeah, Manly just keeps sort of going under the raider a little bit.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you who didn't go under the radar after the weekend, Tom Travoyevich.
Speaker 2: It's been coming back.
Speaker 1: He's been You've seen little fits and spurts of the old Tommy. I just hope for the rest of the competition that your raiders haven't played him back in the form because he was.
Speaker 2: He's running game, he's passing, he was just everywhere. Look at the look at just backing up position will play.
Speaker 1: He is just and it's you know, I'm not a Manly fan, being a Paramatter supporter, but it is so good to see him back playing good footing because I hate seeing our stars out of the game, and that was what a performance. Ask your question here, I'm just looking at this is very Seinfeld here is I don't like the position of this button.
Speaker 2: Look at that. I'm just a gap.
Speaker 1: This isn't a bad this is usually buzz Rothfield fashion advice here.
Speaker 2: But about that, I'm sorry, I digress. Yeah, I'm happy with it. Just the button position has got me anyway.
Speaker 4: A safety that's a modesty you don't want to you.
Speaker 3: Might need a modesty shirt.
Speaker 1: There is a hairshirt in underneath it covered up. Sorry three D But yeah, mainly keep winning. But I would have thought mainly were smokies for maybe a top four finish. But after what Kronulla did on Friday night up on the Gold Coast, Wow, that, let's say, the favorable run home just might see them coasting in that top four finish.
Speaker 2: But they were tremendous the other night.
Speaker 3: They really were. It's always hard to judge in a game like that when you have an opposition that just sort of didn't show up show up, which doesn't really make sense for the kind of form that the Titans had played themselves into in the last couple of weeks. But yeah, it was probably one of their more clinical games of the season. Everyone thought, you know, when the team list came out, they saw Blake Brailey at number seven. I saw some of Kranella fans on social media was sort of scratching their heads, calling it, you know, a dumb decision essentially, but it proved to be a smart one because we spoke about this yesterday, Mumsy that you know, while he was named at seven, he defended at seven but attacked from dummy half and so they gave them effectively an extra forward with Cam mckinness on the field, and yeah, they just completely blewe the Titans off the park are still there's still a site for me that you know, they've given their run. They probably do finish top four. Of the teams that are likely to finish in the top four, they're probably, for me, the least likely to be a genuine contender.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 3: Said that just just so to interrupt, FITZI said that Niko Hines is a head of schedule, so there's a good chance that they get him back before the finals, which you know is an added boost.
Speaker 2: Do you reckon?
Speaker 1: Fitzi and the Sharks are loving people like Fatima writing them off like that because they're just that performance of the weekend and for team a little bit there, they haven't been convincing the last couple of weeks, and obviously injuries and whatever else, and even Buzz last week said we just were lacking X factor in areas.
Speaker 2: But that what a performance.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, I mean, to be fair, I've been writing them off in the run home every.
Speaker 3: Week as well, just like so, I've.
Speaker 4: Been entirely unconvinced by them, I think, for yeah, for a little while now, and I think they've had really good games this season, and but then they've had really terrible ones too. So to see a performance like that I think was really kind of encouraging coming into the last month now. So yeah, So but yeah, that moving Blake Brayley to half back, that was.
Speaker 1: Well the flow on effect for that by having the extra forward there by moving mckinness while having him named in the nine jersey, because I mean he's done that before plenty of times. But Jack Williams thirty odd tackles two hundred meters. He was tremendous. He had probably the best game I've ever seen him play. The there's a lot of footing nows in that Shark coaching box. Fitz Gibbon, Price, Hannah and for what they did to say, okay, well, we're just going to go We're going to load up our middle, going to go straight through and build our platform off that to take our game forward.
Speaker 2: And we know the Gold Coast have been asleep.
Speaker 1: For the most of the first half this season and they come home with a wet sale in the second.
Speaker 2: But they were just blown off the park.
Speaker 1: And it's funny because on Thursday's Pot last week, Buzz revealed that every time the Sharks, when he usually gets a call from Des Hasler which he sends through the message bank where he chants up up, Cranala wouldn't have been doing it after last weekend, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: But oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: If you're a Titans fan, I don't know if there's many of you out there, How do you a Titans fan?
Speaker 3: My brother's are Titans?
Speaker 2: Really? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Randomly?
Speaker 2: Just you go, how.
Speaker 1: Disappointed would you be with your season on the line and out of now the Broncos are still claiming or not Broncos fans are claiming that we're mathematically we're still a chance, and mathematically they are. Who would have thought the Titans were the first team to you would have ruled out of top eight contention?
Speaker 2: For those Queensland sides.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, considering what they've been doing these last couple of weeks, they've actually put themselves in a position where they could be, you know, a mathematical chance. They just had to keep winning. Their draw is pretty tough to finish the season, but they had given themselves a chance, so considering everything that had happened to start the season, So yeah, it was mind boggling that that's what they kind of came up with with a season on the line.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah for Tima, what did you think Bulldogs Dragons Saturday night will get to the We'll get to the incident shortly, but again, everything to play for and the Bulldogs they look comfortable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah they did. It was a strange one because the Dragons really bought into the build up of this game as well. Like obviously they were at home at Congroa. They're spiritual home ground, set out, crowd eighty thousand people. It is you know, maybe it's a traditional rivory the same way that Dragons and Sharks are, but this is a genuine rivalry, like they see it as a genuine local debbe these two sides.
Speaker 2: It's not a long trip down to literally.
Speaker 3: Like geographically neighbors, and there are a lot of Canterbury fans at Cogra, all the more reason for the Dragons to you know, assert that, you know, this is sort of still their home, even though you know the fans were sort of fifty to fifty split. But yeah, they were just off the they were just off the pace a little bit. And again it's one of those it's it's just been the story of their season, the Dragons, and I think we spoke about it on the pud last week that you know, do they can they back up one good performance with another good performance and they just they just weren't able to like they had their moments. But again, Ben Hunt, you know, a couple of weeks ago, had I think it was against Penreth was off his game a little bit. He was nowhere near his best in this clash. Obviously the news that Harme Sele had gone to hospital in an ambulance. I don't know whether that that played a mental role, but just mentally they just weren't up for that game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think they were just outplayed.
Speaker 1: I think Canabury, you know, that left edge combination of Toby Sexton and Bronze and Cherry, who's really come to life. And the short kicking game from Sexton has been amazing. It's yeah, who would have thought? Who would have thought?
Speaker 4: Here saying that, you know, Toby Sexton, Look what his Look what he's done at the Bulldogs.
Speaker 3: It's pretty incredible.
Speaker 4: And even Bronze and Cherry, you know his story and to be able to come back this season, he's got to be by the year, right, he didn't just do aside from Stephen Crichton, I guess, but he's one of them.
Speaker 3: Just on Sexton, I don't think we had him in our most Improved list last week, did we?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, Yeah, I thought about that when I was writing the tackle. I was like, you could be you know, fairly in that in that conversation, and it's just and I think what is most pleasing about Sexton is the fact that he had to sit back for pretty much the first eleven or ten weeks of the season, and you just process the fact that even though he was there before Drew Hutchinson, that Zio felt like Hutchinson was the guy. But he comes into the side, he gives them a bit of I guess he straightens their attack a little bit. But he also gives them another dimension in attack, which I felt like they're probably missed with Drew Hutchinson. But it's also his kicking game. So like in the second part of that in the second half when they decided to defend their lead, just the way that he's long kicking game, Just the way he sort of kept the Dragons on their goal line coming out of their half, kicking to the corners, and that's sort of the kind of game management that Canterbury had missed for so long.
Speaker 1: I wonder how much impact Jason Taylor has had on Sexton's game this season, because obviously he's on the coaching staff there and pretty good halfback and game measure in his own right, so maybe that influences as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 4: I think he might be a little bit of an underrated figure behind the scenes. They're pulling some strings tactically for sure, I think in their attack. But yeah, Toby Sexton just totally just totally underrated him this year, haven't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's again a lot to see players come through and perform like that. It's nice to see.
Speaker 1: All Right, we're going to get into this the bulldog bite from Kyle Flanagan what are your thoughts on it?
Speaker 2: For Tim and I've spoken Adnas about this last couple of days.
Speaker 3: I think we're on the same page, but maybe not. You know, look, see we've seen replays of this slowed down all weekend, right, but when you actually watch it in real time, the whole thing happened very quickly.
Speaker 2: Whole thing's about the second and half.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know if that so, I wonder how much of I don't know. So all I know is that is not okay. And it's like Kyle Fanagan has said he didn't bite him. You know, the judiciary, the NROL is going to have to prove that he did bite him way his nose yeah, rubber, Yeah, to suggest you know there's some pressure there, Yeah, that there was pressure there.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 3: The interesting part for me is did Stephen Crichton contribute to that incident?
Speaker 2: He went ninety Flanagan went ten.
Speaker 3: No, you can't say he went from his chest.
Speaker 2: He went from his chest and shoved his nose in his mouth.
Speaker 4: He went ninety percent of the way to getting his nose bitten.
Speaker 3: No, that's as bad as my If.
Speaker 1: You go and watch that tackle from the Starlight, you said you have he's when Flannagan gets put to the ground, Jacob Preston's around the waist, Crichton's around the stomach, around the chest.
Speaker 2: Crichton moves up to the face and then rubs his face and there this.
Speaker 3: How often do we see that niggle, that face rubbing, whether it's with a hand or another face. And yet i'd have bitten him too, yes, no, no, no, you wouldn't have because so many players have not bitten anybody. And it happens all the time, every week.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if it happens, it happens all the time. I don't love the rubbing of the like hands in the face or it is grubby, but you know it's also grubbier biting, biting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you say it's it's it's you said it's less than a second. So how much reaction time is kap flanning not to think I'm going to buy this guy's ladies.
Speaker 3: I think it's like a rush of blood. I think he was just like something in my mouth. I'm going to like I said, which is if.
Speaker 1: He's even just going because he's getting pushed back and he's it's an automatic response. That's that's not anything like James Graham did to Billy Slater a few years ago when he went and launched into him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I was comparing it to that though there was We spoke about the cartoon like boy coming out of the out of the mouth, so at some point he does press down. So maybe part of his argument is that, like you said, it was a split second, and it was at malice. He wasn't going, oh, I'm going to wipe this guy's nose off because he's rubbing his face on my face. But that sort of niggle happens all the time. And because it happens in a split second, and it happens all the time, and it's just part of the physicality of the game. I get hammed all the time when I say, you know, talk about you know, certain foul acts and you know the rest of it. But the game's physical. Okay, Well, this is proof that the game is physical. And we see that happen in every single game, and we'll see it happen again unless all of a sudden the NRL decides that it's an area it has to look at. But the niggle is part of the game.
Speaker 4: What's wrong with just a couple of blokes, okay, rubbing faces together.
Speaker 2: I think it's crap.
Speaker 3: I think it's a the So what So are you suggesting that Carl Flannigan has no case to answer.
Speaker 2: No, I don't say that, but I think Stephen Crichton definitely is a case to answer.
Speaker 3: For what's his his case that he ni country conduct.
Speaker 1: White, the tackle is complete, and then he decides to move up to his face and rub his and hold on and a certain pressure on Stephen Crichton's face for no reason, on Kyle Flanagan's face for no reason, for no reason.
Speaker 3: So now we're saying, any kind of niggle is country conduct.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that was country conduct.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I don't necessarily agree with that. It just happened so quickly for it to be the kind of niggle that we and I think.
Speaker 1: Kyle Flanagan has been a target for the Bulldogs and certain players for the last few years. I think you go back to the Penrith days when Kyle Flanagan was at the Roosters, and I think I remember quite clearly Kyle Flanagan being targeted by some of the Panthers players there, and I got a feeling that this might have been.
Speaker 2: Part of the carry on that he's a target. He becomes a target for these guys.
Speaker 1: And I'm sure there's some bad blood with him leaving Canterbury and his dad coaching him.
Speaker 2: Now, but I just yeah, I didn't like what I saw.
Speaker 4: I think, unfortunately, what happens is in this game, once you have a reputation as a player who retaliates or you can get under their skin easily, you can be easily knocked off your game, then that's just going to keep happening. Then you do become a target, right Like if an opposition has a way to rattle you or to then they're just going to do that because that's the game.
Speaker 1: But the game's tough enough where they're having to push blokes faces into the dirt like they do and niggle like that. That's just that's that stuff annoys me when I see it. And you know, Cretor bought the ticket, bought the ticket and he got the ride. If you're going to stick your face, if it happened to me, i'd be biting down as well, whether it was reactionary or what.
Speaker 2: But I just yeah, I don't know. I might be in the minority here, but I just know I didn't think you are.
Speaker 3: I think this is one of those ones that's split people. So people are talking about this. You know, how much did Critter contribute to And I'm not saying he didn't like obviously, if he doesn't put his face there, that low was the chances of him not being bit. But the point is he was bit, and I think from the way I see it is up to now the NRL to decide whether, like you said, because it does happen so quickly, whether it's a reflex action where Flunny is just like what the F is in my mouth? Or you know, whether he deliberately thought, no, I'm going to have a chumpet. He knows here.
Speaker 2: So is Stephen Crichton going to be at the judiciary on Tuesday night?
Speaker 3: At this stage I am hearing no. But there has been like mixed reports as to how this whole thing unfolded. So from what I understand from talking to Cannaby this morning is when it initially happened. During the game, Crichton sort of motions to the referee pointing out his face, but doesn't actually make an official complaint. At the time, the game hasn't stopped. It isn't reviewed at the time, and it isn't until after the game when the officials have had a chance to look at the incident during the game that they have sought Canterbury's advice on it. I guess as to what they've seen and what Canary want to do, And from what I understand from talking to Canterbury officials this morning is at no point did Stephen Crichton or the Bulldogs make an official complaint. So from a Bulldog's point of view, they just sort of because he.
Speaker 2: Knows he was in the wrong, he's subscribing.
Speaker 3: To my theory maybe maybe maybe, and maybe that works into Kyle Flanagan's favorite the judiciary.
Speaker 4: It would just be the kind of guy who just be like, whatever happens out there, just stays out there and that's fine. I think, Yeah, that's probably yeah, why he didn't make a complaint.
Speaker 3: Yes, And I think and I think because of that, it is very unlikely that he will volunteer to be at the diutry tomorrow. What I didn't get a chance to this morning is check with the NRL the rules around that whether he's expected to be there.
Speaker 2: They can't compel them, can they.
Speaker 3: I don't think. No, I don't think we saw with Tyson Gamble that he said, you know, he had to focus on his game, so it was in the finals, so he didn't show up for Jack Whiten's Jack Whiten's hearing, So I think it might be the same.
Speaker 1: Again, let's put a number on it. How many weeks if Flagon is found guilty.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's hard to say.
Speaker 2: It not it's hard to say. But give us a number three, anyone?
Speaker 3: I reckon the most recent case in Jack Whiton's sort of a bit of a press at three, it was three. Three is really week three?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I reckon it's about three weeks.
Speaker 2: I think it's a little less than Whitens.
Speaker 1: But I think anything less than three probably sends a bad message, even though it probably goes against what I've just been saying. But yeah, two weeks and people will be up in arms. But I'd be happy with two or three.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Would you be happy if the NRL then gave a bit of a warning to Stephen Crichton and just then look one of the if they write him an email or something and just say, look.
Speaker 2: We're just disappointed, disappointed when that happens with that sad. Yeah, be a little happier then we'll.
Speaker 3: Just yeah, we'll make some coose today. We'll see what we can do.
Speaker 1: Isn't that funny that that's what we're talking about. On the back of that, the Dogs just keep marching on. Who they got this week?
Speaker 3: They've got they Dolphins this year they're going to Bundenberg. Who do that make this?
Speaker 1: I think Salter Salter, Yeah, Dolphins, which, again, after what the Dolphins did in Golden Point at the weekend against the Warriors, makes that a huge game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it's it's a huge game because it has for the lower half of that top eight. It has massive ramifications and which is why, you know, the Dragons, the performance they put in was so disappointing because now they've sort of slipped out of the eight. But yeah, I know we probably should be we should be talking about how the fact that the Bulldogs just somehow keep defying the odds. This game the Dolphins and the Warriors was just such a weird, topsy turvy game. It was always sort of felt like it was always destined for a Golden Point finish, and then Sean O'Sullivan stands up for the two point field goal. I love Wayne Bennett after the match, still banging on about how much he hates Golden Point and how they should have should have been a drawer. I never pictured Wayne Bennett as the kind of coach to be wanting to hand out participation awards, but.
Speaker 2: Nearly a cloud on that one, isn't he doesn't like it?
Speaker 3: Maybe? I don't know. I know, I'm not going to say anything age just but yeah, the Dolphins got home and they needed to win to keep their finals chances alive, and they have a massive I know they're probably a run below the Bulldogs to be honest, so I don't know how well they'll go. But the Bulldogs are flying. They kept the Dragons again to ten points. Defensively, they're just on another level.
Speaker 1: What do you think of the Cody Nikarima sorry penalty.
Speaker 3: Try, Mitch Barnett?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it was fair, Yeah, justified?
Speaker 3: He thinks he was fair? Yeah, yep, which I mean it was.
Speaker 1: A Barney's playing good foot, isn't He just is just doing everything, doing that, you know, doing.
Speaker 2: All the hard work that he always does, and then just this.
Speaker 1: Attacking side of things where he's getting himself in these positions and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, big year.
Speaker 1: And the disappointing thing for the Warriors is seven games this season they have lost by six or four points. They turn half of those three of those into wins. They're on twenty seven points, they're in the top eight, yep so, and they came agonizing a close. But that field goal from Shawn O'Sullivan was just you tell me you've been training with Nathan Cleary in years past without telling it.
Speaker 2: It just calm as you're like knocked it over.
Speaker 4: It was, Yeah, he's been in and out of first grade obviously this year too. So Yeah, to come in and have a moment like that, that feel pretty.
Speaker 1: Cool, Which was good because I think there was a couple of moments in that game where I don't think Isaiah Otowa really managed the game that well.
Speaker 2: There's a couple. There was a two forward passes through.
Speaker 1: One was on a fifth tackle when he should have kicked, and they just they'd had a set where the Warriors were really just hammering them to keep them pegged in their own in their own half, and they'd made a sort of fourth and fifth tackle, they'd managed to get those extra yards. Made it a decent set and all you needed was a good kick on the back to corner to get up there in a line and just put the onus back on the Warriors, and instead he ran, he got tackled as he was throwing at the ball, went forward, put your side under all this sorts of pressure again. So good young half with plenty of uppy sleeve, but just needs to know that sometimes the simple play is just the one.
Speaker 2: You need to go for.
Speaker 4: So yeah, he's had a big year this year too, hasn't he? And that's just something the learning the game is ya is something he'll learn over time.
Speaker 1: So Dragons have slid out of the eight with this, the Dolphins are in where does the where did the top eight go from here?
Speaker 4: So that the Dolphins have a tough run. So they play who do we say? Bulldogs and I think they have Storm broncoos and then Knights in Newcastle on that last round to finish off.
Speaker 3: So I had them missing the A.
Speaker 4: But that little block as were you know, if you're watching this on YouTube, you'll be able to see. But the block of I think it's about what is it four or five teams there that is just all kind of jammed but trying to find I think it's just one spot in the eight What do you guys think?
Speaker 3: Do you see the Cowboys slippery?
Speaker 1: I just think the courtesy of having those I mean, they threw that away the other night eighteen six up and then you go down in the fashion they did.
Speaker 2: But I think courtesy of being on twenty eight points there.
Speaker 1: I think helps give them a Yeah, boys, but do you Fatima, do you see I kind of see that eight spot changing a little bit over the next few weeks because they're all sort of playing each other, aren't they.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's the Dragons run. You know isn't easy either, Like they've got the Titans, so that can be a banana pill. You just don't know what outfit you're going to get. We saw how well the Sharks are building towards the finals. You know, the Eels, even though they were pipped right at the end, I've been playing some good footy and Canberra are another jeckull and high team, so their run isn't necessarily they could. You look at that run and you think, you know, there's a chance maybe they come out with two competition points if they're not, you know, yeah, so yeah, I think that final spot will probably see you know, the Dolphins, the Dragons, maybe the Knights, you know, if they can get over the rabbit o's and the Titans sort of change. But yeah, I don't know. I still think that maybe the Dragons can get over the line.
Speaker 1: The way you said that is exactly how I'm thinking looking at it. Just don't know you need to make it. But I love the fact that it's not locked in.
Speaker 3: It's so good.
Speaker 4: Key for the Knights is so they play the Sharks. They play the Sharks this weekend, so they have to win that. If they don't, then ye, potentially they're done. So they then have the Titans. I think they play they play the Dolphins. I can't remember who else they play in the meantime.
Speaker 1: But what about and pen We spoke about this yesterday the top of the table clash on Thursday night Melbourne v Penrith. Melbourne win, they will all but locked in Minor Premiership. Penrith win, then it gets game on, but massive ramifications for the bottom half of the eight as well, because you know, then we go into resting season as to whether there'll be players who were given breaks and so the sort of thought is that Melbourne are definitely looking at resting. You know, I don't think Months will be one of those because he's just getting back. He's sort of in the Nathan Cleary boat. But yeah, some guys, and they've shown a lot they did last year against the Broncos in the final round. They can rest players still get a job done. But yeah, yeah, where do you see where do you see that happening Thursday night?
Speaker 3: I don't I'm not sure they'll rest anybody. The Storm.
Speaker 2: A big loss for the Panthers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well only because, like you said, they if they win this game, they're all but assured the Minor Premiership. And I get the feeling though, even though we don't talk about the Minor Premiership as much in terms of the title race itself, that clubs like the Storm and Penraths actually internally value it quite well with and when you think about it, there's season's twenty seven rounds long. It's a long season, like it's for you to finish at the top of the ladder after twenty seven rounds, it is a massive achievement. So I don't think. I don't know if the Storm will rest anyone. Obviously, penrath Lea Martin's taken the one week Scott Sorenson. They don't have an exact figure of how long he's going to be out for, but I got to yesterday by Penrith at least a couple of weeks. So for that game in particular, it's a massive blow. That's their starting back row line.
Speaker 1: If it's a Great one, it's one to two weeks. And if it's a Grade two, yeah you're talking finals time. So you're hoping that it's only a Grade one for Sorenson.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, and I guess because of that Fisher, Harris, Dylan Edwards, Ivan Cleary said they're a fifty to fifty chance of making a return. But again it's the same breadth was you know, if you're resting people, you're also not going to rush people back. So and they've done okay with those guys being out, So yeah, I see even you know, even without Fisher Harris, even without Dylan Edwards, Slammard and the rest of I still think it's going to be a pretty tight contest. Neither side are necessarily playing football at you know, at their peak.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, penful great the week before and they just obviously Darby's are tough to judge for former because Paramatta always you know, and I've run it off those players before, but Paramatta always get up for Penrith games, and so I think your form goes out the window a little bit there. But yeah, it's funny, going to be interesting to see. I mean, do you want to be cooking this far with a month ago in the season? How do you want to tie me run Paw?
Speaker 4: I think if you're kind of coasting along and doing enough, I think that's okay now because then they, you know, it gets to the finals, that's when you've kind of got to be all on. And if they've just been able to kind of scrap some wins together and still be top two, I mean that's pretty impressive. And then just the way that they I will never get over this. Just mobsy, How talk us through? Okay, we're in the mobsy household. You're at the game? Okay, what was what was going on? Was this three minutes? Or was it it was three or four minutes?
Speaker 2: Lso?
Speaker 3: Were they scored three tries? It was?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: How did you explain the obstruction rule to your Japanese change? Well? What did you think of that? Either way? It was kind of a light ball like I sort of get it at the same time too, like he does knock him over and he does stop him from being able to slide in defense, which should be his right. But at the same it's not necessarily as clear cut as.
Speaker 2: No, it's not clear cut.
Speaker 1: That's that's not what cost him the game, you know that the and this cost of the game Gutho, who was absolutely brilliant. He shanked that so badly, which was reminiscent of Easter Monday. But that's the only bad word I'll say about Gutha. He was amazing, his talk on the field, the work that he did, he was everywhere and up for it.
Speaker 2: So you know, he's still king guth out of us.
Speaker 1: But no, we're on the twenty medle line there where Paramounta were attacking that second half. So it was good because all the kickoffs the players bring the ball back sort of reaching the defensive line there. So our Japanese exchange student were looking after for those who hadn't heard of at home, was hearing the collision of and that's obviously the busy collisions and he's oh, very big, yes, yes, mate, yes it was but got.
Speaker 2: Him, He's got him.
Speaker 1: His ill scarf and it was it was a good It sounds crazy to say as an Eels fan, but it was actually a really good game to be at because it was so it was so good, and you know, we talked about well we didn't talk about last week, but it came up last week about the Raiders and the and the Bulldogs with that Raiders fan and you know the small minority of fans and every club's got them, you know, but the banter between Panthers and Eels on the front. There was great atmosphere, no dramas that I saw, and but yeah, it was just watching watching the way. You know, Pendeuth weren't at their best by any streets. You know, Paramatta held them really well and for a team missing who they were too. But then Penuth had just never.
Speaker 2: Gone, are they?
Speaker 1: You know when they went when leam Martin and I love Marto and I have to apologize to him because I was maybe giving the little indication of the referee of what I thought should happen. Just give him, give him a little I was just instructing the referee. Look, he could have killed him. Someone think of the children and lot we do when you're fans. If the referee hadn't seen it. We made him know that he had. But you know, but then Pendrith clicked in the gear, didn't They They just that killer instinct that they show all that, you know when the game's on the line, like the Grand Final last year and go oh wow. So then you just think to what's going to go ahead this Thursday against the Storm. It's going to be tremendous because you kind of want to see how Kem Monster goes in his comeback now get more and more like his old self. And they were great last weekend, but they've got the job done against against South Sydney, I thought it would have been close to a cricket score, but South hung in really well.
Speaker 3: It's hard to sometimes judge positional battles, but Hughes for Cleary, that in itself is going to be just really fascinating to watch, you know, because obviously clearly he missed a whole bunch of games with his hamstring injuries. You sort of think if he didn't he's probably the dally M leader or close to. But this time it might be, you know, Jerome Hughes might be the one who gets him in the end. So but yeah, you know, Jerome Hughes gets nowhere near enough credit for how important he has been for them this year.
Speaker 1: I reckon he might at the end of the year a little gong, you reckon he's yeah, I think so. I know he's a long way behind when we're behind closed doors. But with six points now you can have three good, three maximum games and gets.
Speaker 3: Really definitely had that since around twelve.
Speaker 2: What about the quirk of the drawer with the storm, Pam.
Speaker 3: Yes, we were talking about this yesterday.
Speaker 4: So Melbourne, So in the last three weeks they play the Dolphins, Cowboys and Broncos. So it a lot depends on how Craig Bellamy wants to attack those last three weeks and then what will help him form that opinion is Thursday night's game, right, so whether or not they've potentially wrapped up the minor premiership, whether they're still on the hunt for it, and then what he wants to do with resting players. So essentially, so they play the after Penrith, then they then play the Dolphins in Melbourne, and then they spend two weeks in Queensland, so against the Cowboys and then the Broncos. So all three of those if the Broncos get to that final round and they're still a mathematical chance depending on you know, what happens with the Dragons or the Dolphins.
Speaker 3: But Melbourne has.
Speaker 4: Really the potential just to go bang bang bang and really wipe out.
Speaker 2: Finals hopes.
Speaker 3: But also it brings that resting conversation back to it because if you look at that, you think, if they beat the Panthers, maybe they rest some players against the Dolphins. You probably don't rest anyone against the Cowboys because they're going to be a good sort of litmus test for the finals. And then if everything's done and stealed against the Broncos. I mean we've saw Penrith have sort of done it in the last couple of years in that last round where they've rested all their players in preparation for Week one of the finals. So it also has potentially ramifications for those teams fighting for that bottom eight spot. Does it almost if Bellamy decides to rest guys for that Dolphins game, does it give the Dolphins a leg up in sort of their race for the finals as we spoke about just before. So they still they did this.
Speaker 4: Melbourne did this last year when they played the Broncos, And to be fair, the Broncos rested a lot of their players too and Melbourne still won. Yea, so they've done it before, and sometimes he's done it in a different way where he'll rest you know, two players this week and then to the next or whatever it is and just kind of space it out. But yeah, it'll be interesting to see. But it does bring that conversation up, right, like whether or not that's there or does that is there an impact on the integrity of the competition if you just rest a bunch of stars, especially when they're are finals calculations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think this John would say, yeah, like I said, it's an interesting discussion. But I think someone like the Storm would say, well, we've sort of earned the right to we've been the best team a year. We've sort of the right to manage, you know, the next couple of weeks. How we see fit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the NBA that now are starting to put.
Speaker 1: Framework in place to make sure that the integrity of the comps maintain, But on sort of if we've won this many games, we can even if it's rolling, they might rolling rest a few players over a number of weeks. I think Peneth in a bit of a different case because of the injuries to Sorenson now plus Fisher, Harris and Dylan Edwards coming back and Nathan just starting to get some games in under his belt. I don't think you really need.
Speaker 2: To rest him.
Speaker 1: And they kind of rested on mass didn't they after Origin. So yeah, it's gonna be interesting to see. But just the fact that it gives so much, it points so much to the bottom half of that ladder, is terrific. So yeah, now before we finish up, we need to discuss some enerial w because I need something happy to talk about.
Speaker 2: But my Eel's another good win.
Speaker 3: Another good win they have.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they've really improved so much this year. So Steve George Arlis has taken over there as coach and he's just they're fitter. They they don't have as many injuries obviously as they did last year. So Elsie Albert is out there who is so important for them, and Reach pierced it as well.
Speaker 3: But yeah, they they are looking the goods.
Speaker 2: What do you reckon?
Speaker 1: What is seeing with how the Titans and Broncos are both outside the form at this point, I mean I don't know where only sort of midway through the season this year, but I thought though them and I thought the Dragons would be going a little bit than they had.
Speaker 2: But although they had a nice one of the.
Speaker 4: Weekend, Yeah so the Dragons. So yesterday it was actually a huge day for upset. So the Broncos were not expected. So the Titans are probably top two favorite teams. Obviously they were in the Grand Final last year. They are absolutely stacked full of superstars that team, and the Broncos were not expected to beat them and they put a really big score on them. So it ended up being a terrible weekend for the Titans injured. Both the men and the women's teams got forty four points put on them. So are the Tigers winless as the Tigers are yep, and yeah, so I think from memory, I think they're the only team that are winless so far. The Dragons had their first win last night, so then yeah, it was just a big day. So the Broncos beat the Titans, which was totally unexpected, and then the Dragons went to Newcastle who were obviously the two time premiers and then it was absolute boilover yeap, just totally unexpected, but it was very tense it was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was an amazing win. So it opens it.
Speaker 4: It just makes the competition a bit more exciting and probably kick some of those top sides into gear a little bit. The thing is is there's only so we're in round three now, so there's only six rounds to go and then there's like a final final, so two finals games and the grand Final.
Speaker 2: So it's a shocker that we keep losing Yeah, players to injury too.
Speaker 4: I know there's been so many. So Caitlin Johnston Green, so she is out for the season for the nights she's got. But the thing is it's an MCL injury. So with only six weeks, I think she could potentially play. I think they were trying to figure out if she could potentially play in the finals. But she's going to Kronulla next year too, So if she's spent you know, five or six weeks on the sidelines with a knee injury, do you bring her in? And yeah, it's things like yeah, it's things like that that really cruel the the women's game when it's such a short season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, do you may well, yeah, let's just give my something chief and even buzzes loving he loves Kennedy Chennington's does how you Yeah, she's having.
Speaker 4: A great season, so much she she missed selection for New South Wales stated Orange was dropped and that's obviously giving her a bit of a kick in the bum because she Yeah, she's been really good for you guys so far this year.
Speaker 2: Speaking which I've got him, call it just I'm going to answer this. I've got buzz. I'm going to put him on the mate.
Speaker 1: You know, you're interrupting my Monday edition of the podcast. You're on live here, high buss. This is the same Flannagan treatment from you.
Speaker 2: High buss. Wow, how are you guys?
Speaker 3: What are you going for us?
Speaker 1: Buzz I hope you're all getting stuck into sid and crighton for WAKONYSI I.
Speaker 2: Was one out here. I'm getting belt a buzz I need your help, you really?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can't buy someone, buzz You can't rub your nose and must be a new rule.
Speaker 2: What's doing? Can I help you with anything?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I just had a story for later than the week, but we would not be going live with it right. I'll call you when I'm out of the studio. See you guys, by.
Speaker 1: He says to me, he says to me es Horang Flanner Saturday night after the incident, got some quotes off, and yeah, you guess I don't think you appreciated me Cole calling him on the pod last week and.
Speaker 2: Bigger issues than that. If that's what he's he was good.
Speaker 3: A strange creature. Sometimes they've got to be.
Speaker 2: They have to be. I have to team your favorite part of the show.
Speaker 3: Yes, what we are all watching up to me first? Yeah, yeah, yeah, because I had an idea what this one is.
Speaker 1: Well, I haven't watched much because of picks On, but one we mased to sneak in was Geo Storm again disasters and a great advice from a from a listener here because it's Gerard Butler World on the Edge again.
Speaker 2: It's it's sort of a.
Speaker 1: Climate control thing where they put up all these satellites to help control the weather and as humans do, they use it, they weaponize it, and it's it's got Abby Cornish in Who's who's tremendous obviously Ossie actress and she was in that film with.
Speaker 2: Heath Ledger. What's that called Kennedy? Was it Keny?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And she was she's a hunter Valley girl yeah, so yeah, and yeah right up my alley just terrific.
Speaker 3: So I'm getting a little bit worrown here because your doomsday movies were supposed to end like two weeks ago.
Speaker 2: Now Olympics.
Speaker 3: Are you like down a Gym's day rabbit hole?
Speaker 1: Because everyone sent me suggestions I'm going to stack to get through and now I get I've got to start jack reach of the show as well. But yeah, I'll tell you what if something goes down, you first call you, guys. I want to make before the communication lines are cut is to me because I'm going to have to get out of all these situations.
Speaker 3: Disasters got them more ticked off.
Speaker 4: That's called it be to you anyway, mob, just to be like, hey, I'm just going to quickly file this story.
Speaker 3: I love that it's fun. Do you say that? Because since you've been talking about Jim's Day movies for months couple of weeks ago, I did have that thought that anything I've learned in terms of what is a response to a natural disaster, I think I might have learned through a movie. Other then stop, drop and roll for when your house is on fire, I think you also learned through it.
Speaker 2: Go. Yeah, yeah, that was the old one that was when when we were kids. So I'll move on.
Speaker 3: Goodness, what are you watching for? Speaking of kids, I've been watching Ferdinand, which is a kid movie. I don't know who makes it one of them, I'm not sure that My niece absolutely loves it, and I babysit her sometimes at least once a week, and as soon as she's in the front door, she's like Furdi dead the ball, the ball. She wants to watch the ball, and so she's at a point where she just provides sits there providing commentary because she knows every frame by heart. But it's actually quite enjoyable. The bull, the adult ball is John Cena.
Speaker 2: I think there you go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. And it's actually quite a fun It's actually quite a fun movie. It's you know, it's a nice one to just sort of chill out and relax.
Speaker 1: See, this is the beauty of having kids. You can force them to watch these and pretend it's for them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't complain because it's quite fun. So, yeah, I've been watching lately. So we've got a disaster movie.
Speaker 4: So when you want to be really tense and then when you want to unwind, that's the one I'm actually rewatching Game of Thrones at the moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really unwinding.
Speaker 4: So yeah, because we finished House of the Dragon, which no spoilers having no fair enough, but I really loved it. There was a little bit of like criticism about it, but I absolutely loved it. And then so it just kind of made me miss watching Game of Thrones. So we actually started rewatching it again from about seas I think we started again from about season three and we're up to season five.
Speaker 2: Now, are you seeing things that you missed first time around?
Speaker 3: Definitely, because the because I've.
Speaker 4: Only watched it through once and then it was some of those early seasons was just like a binge just to kind of get through it until like it was coming out, I caught up and was watching it weekly. But yeah, but picking up so much more stuff until we get to that final couple of episodes, which are terribly disappointing.
Speaker 1: But the one criticism I love Game of Thrones. One criticism I had was it took an entire season to travel across West Ros in the in the first seasons. You get to season seven and eight, we need to go. We need to go to Bravos, we need to go here the next episode or the next scene they're there, Go come on, that's not true to what we've just been watching.
Speaker 4: So you have to suspend belief, don't you. Yeah, obviously with so much goes on in it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's just a yeah, it's just fun to watch.
Speaker 2: I might tear in Lanister's speech.
Speaker 1: And do you remember that speech when he was sentenced to death and by his father and for when he didn't kill Josh. You only just threw that, Yeah, yeah, you remember that soliloquy he gave where he said I didn't kill him, but I wish I had, and I saved all your workless lives.
Speaker 2: I ever get punted, Well, when I get punted from here, it's going to happen.
Speaker 1: When I win lotto, and then I'm going to rattle off that speech to these people and walk out of the building. And then I'll get home and figure out I don't have the supplementary or something off him back and pretend I didn't quit.
Speaker 4: My favorite was Elena Tyrrell when she she was poisoned and then.
Speaker 3: She said, oh, I want tell Serse it was me.
Speaker 2: I wanted to know.
Speaker 3: That's the yeah, we're almost up to that end.
Speaker 2: I've not watched it. We're going to do a segment one day of all the things you haven't seen.
Speaker 3: I do have a question how many episodes are in each season? I think, yeah, it's about twelve or thirteen seas, isn't I guess that's still they're long, but a long episodes. You get to a point where there's so many seasons in it's so many episodes. What are you doing if you want to free launching stuff anyway?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think so well, she's turning three next year.
Speaker 2: Plenty old enough for game system. Yeah, yeah, yeah, first episode will be fine.
Speaker 3: And then you just send her home and they deal with the questions. Yeah, that's not about idea. Actually not your problem.
Speaker 2: Oh that's very funny. But we're going to go chase up some blighting stuff and see where we go. But we'll catch you on the Thursday show.
Speaker 3: OK, all right, thanks guys,