Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to the Code NRL Podcast. I'm Dean Richie, joined by Fatima Kado. How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm good, BOARDO are you?
Speaker 1: I'm very well. Let's trip straight into a Fatima. The West Tigers on the ladder slippery slide. After such a promising start of the season where they won five from seven, they've now lost eight from ten games. It's imploding at Concord and that's only been worsened by the news that's coming out about Jerome Lewis. What do you make of it?
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's the Tigers are doing. You know, they're the ones who put the clauses in the contract, and you know, Jerome Lway is really just exercising the right that he has contractually to have tested the market. What has gone wrong from April where you know he's decided to join the Chiefs. He said he's still got eighteen months, he's locked in the next eighteen months. Ben she seemed like he's on board, and all of a sudden we hear that maybe things between him and Benji haven't been great since that Pang decision, and it was Benji that drove, you know, the move to have him leave the club at.
Speaker 1: The end of the wall. Why why do you think Benji's done this? Fatima?
Speaker 3: Well, I say credit to Benji because if you look back to the start of the year when the Tigers released that documentary of a very sort of tough talking, tough love Benji Marshall, who was laying down the law, saying, if you know you're not buying into club standards.
Speaker 2: What we're trying to do here, here's the door. And the reality is, even though I think Romi is in.
Speaker 3: His rights to do what he's done, the fact that he didn't stay at Concord and decided to go with the Chiefs shows he's probably not sold completely on the vision at the Tigers. And it's a way, you know, if I'm Benji, I'm thinking, is he fully buying in here?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: And then that becomes a roadblock to what Benji is trying to do. So from a football point of view, I understand it has something gone on outside of that, who knows. There was a post on social media that Triple M had that said I think it was Danny Widelid that was suggesting that since the P and G move, that the relationship between Romey and Benji maybe hasn't been as great and Romy's father liked that post.
Speaker 1: So Fatima, what what do we think the reason is? I mean, obviously they were tight. Yeah. Do you think it was just a P and G move? Do you think there's been an attitude change at Concord? And I guess the question I really want to ask you is, how will history remember Jerome Lewaite's stay at Concord. Has it been a success and has it lived up to the hype which we all thought and anticipated that we would have when he left Penrith for such a big move.
Speaker 3: This is a hard one because, like you said, they started off the season doing pretty well, and then if he had and if they kept on that trajectory and he did still leave at the end of the season, you'd say, Yep, you know it was a success. I still think I absolutely, like you know, knowing Romy that when people say that he's lifted the standards there, I agree with that. Obviously he was a magnet for other players to come there. So it just depends. If your yardstick is finals footy, then you say, well, no, it hasn't been a success, and you think about how much money it cost them. You at one point two million dollars a season, and then you'd say, no, it hasn't been a success. I don't know how it'll reflect on Romy. Romy is a guy, he's a leader. He's a guy who can galvanize the group. Whether he can galvanize them for the rest of the season and somehow salvage something from the season, then maybe that changes how he's remembered it at the Tigers. But I wouldn't say it's been a complete failure. But obviously on the footy fields so far we haven't seen the results.
Speaker 1: I still can't help but think though a team of that. This goes back to Shane Richardson, and Richard's well respected throughout the game. We know that. But he decided in his wisdom to get Jerome Louy to Concord, he had to include these clauses in his contract. And as you said before, quite rightly, it allowed Jerome every year or almost to go there and test the market. It must have driven fans mad to think that their elite player every year almost can go out there and see if anyone can do I will make a better offer for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, and here's the thing.
Speaker 3: At the time, the Tigers had one three wooden spoons. So I understand from an administrative point of view, from Richer's point of view, why those clauses might have felt necessary. You know, it's maybe that last you know, dangling that character get him like.
Speaker 2: Over the line.
Speaker 3: But the problem for Tigers fans is, like you said, then they had to live through the headlines.
Speaker 2: Is he staying? Is he going?
Speaker 3: He only ever really half you know, would commit publicly that he was all in and then he wasn't. At the end of the day, he's clearly not buying in into whatever the vision is. And you know, good on Benji for saying we need to move forward.
Speaker 1: Eight out of ten in terms of losses, most people think they're gone. Are you a believer that they can pull out a miracle and make the fin or is it curtains for the sixteenth consecutive year.
Speaker 3: I don't think they can make the finals. And what we haven't said in all of this is, yes, you can coincide Romey's decision with their slide on the ladder. But at the same time, too, they've been without Adam Deuey for periods. They've been without Samuel la Fanu, who I reckon was probably the form player before he got injured at pic Corrisale wasn't there for a couple of weeks, so they've had excuses as to.
Speaker 2: Why they haven't performed.
Speaker 3: I'd like to think that Benji is the kind of coach that can galvanize this script to the rest of the season so it doesn't completely fall apart. But I don't think it's going to be enough for them to make a final.
Speaker 1: Let's stay in Western Sydney and I want to ask you about Paramatta because they look like they are going to sign Jerome lit White to a one year contract. Now Paramatta has gone down this path with Jonah Peasant and even if you want to go back to Zach Lomax, they signed him for four years and after one year he left. The club is becoming a transit lounge. And do you think Paramounta is wise to sign Louife for such a small amount of time, not forgetting for team of the World Cup is on as well, so the time Jerome gets there and then leaves, it's only about nine months.
Speaker 3: Really, it is an interesting one because if you take the Jonah Pezet situation, you would say that that was an experiment that failed didn't really work out as they would have hoped. It makes me wonder. And I know the Knights offer Dylan Brown a ten year deal and that's you know, that blows them completely out of the water. But I wonder how much now, reflecting on how well Dylan Brown's doing at the Knights, if they've fumbled that a little bit because I haven't been able to find a replacement for him, would I sign Luai for a year? It just depends on what roles as plan is. And we could have an answer on Lui in the next couple of days. It's looking like And obviously the Bears are sort of going to have a guy at him as well, but is it one year so they can have a go at Burden potentially maybe Cameron Monster if the storm to lock him in before November one and he's got that relationship with Jason Roles from the time of Roles is in Melbourne as an assistant, or Lorenzo Talentina, who's a talented twenty year old half back that they've coming through. Is that giving him one more year of development? So it just depends on what Rauls is thinking, you know, and look, he will make their team better and with due respect to peasant, romy still is a full time Premiership winner. He's one on origin with Mitch Moses, so he will improve their roster. But I think the bigger problem for Ills fans is they still don't really know what Roles's plans for the halves are moving forward.
Speaker 1: Simply a bit confused at Paramount. A lot of the fans certainly are in terms of where their future is, what path they're taking, and how are they going to get to this promised land which we've been waiting forty years ago.
Speaker 3: Considering what you know we've seen from Jerome at the Tigers, do you think gets the right move for Roles try and get him.
Speaker 2: In for one year.
Speaker 1: No, I wouldn't do that. I think these quick fixes in regular league don't work. I wouldn't get him in there for one year. I think they've got to look to ParaMed I've got to instilled in their jersey, in that logo which was so special in the nineteen eighties, what it means to play for PARAMATTERA, not just short term fixes. They don't always work. Getting a player in for one year I think sends a bad signal. It's a sign that the club is unstable and they don't know where they're going, and they're just trying to find anyone to stick a band aid over the problem which have been looming out there for years. Jason Rowls is a good coach, there's no doubt about it. But his tenure at Paramatta has not been a success. There's no sugarcoating that, and I think they've got to start to look for going out in the market and trying to buy some players that they can get for two, three four years, not just sort of sugar hit where it's for nine months. Look, it may well work. I don't know. Jerames is a very good player, but I think for the culture of the club, for the future of the club, they should look elsewhere. Talking of the Bulldogs, what do you make of that? Because they got flogged by the canber Raiders in the weekend. That had a bit of a period there where there was some success, but we've gone right back to where we are now. And again I asked you about the finals before the Tigers. I don't think the Dogs can get there now thoughts.
Speaker 3: I think they're in a I know they got powered up by Canberra, but also can I just say as a camera fan. That was a very frustrating game because I sat there going where was this like fifteen weeks ago? Anyway, I think they look like a more improved team Canterbury. What worried me was before Stephen Crichton was stretched off with that neck nerve injury, so that the attack started to look a bit pedestrian again. And then Sean O'Sullivan comes in, who really is their only genuine half back, straightens the attack and has a hand in there.
Speaker 2: Too late tries.
Speaker 3: So I just think, you know, and I feel like Galvin has been unfairly targeted for all their attacking this year. I don't think he's the problem. I just think they don't have a number seven. It'll be interesting to see what Siro does this week with Stephen Crichton. We are hearing that his injury is not as bad as suspected. There is even a small chance he might play this weekend, whether he goes back to burden at number six, moves him into this from the centers into number six, or whether he you know, gives Sewn O'Sullivan a crack. So look, I don't there's such a log jam between those six, seven and all the way down to you know, thirteen fourteen, so they do have a difficulty run home, but yeah, I don't know. They're another one who might miss the finals like Canberra. You know, Canber's no.
Speaker 1: Chance as I wrote, and Bulldogs by today, Fatima. Some of those Western Sydney clubs are really in porch shape. And I mentioned the Eels, Dogs and Tigers, three issues we've just discussed. Thank goodness for the Penrith Panthers. They're saving the vast Western Sydney from NRL embarrassment.
Speaker 2: With the new South Wales Blues.
Speaker 3: They defied all the odds going up to sun Corp winning the decider.
Speaker 2: Laurie Daily easily, you.
Speaker 3: Know, the most underseieged man in rugby league at the time. Bulldog, you were there, you're his really close mate. Before we talk about the Blues, let's talk about Lorrie. He was so he was emotional. As soon as full time went, he saw him waving to the crowd. They were cheering him. He had tears in his eyes. I bet you're pretty happy for him and proud of your close mate.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely. He was under a lot of scrutiny, some of it fair, some of it unfair. A lot of it was personal, which I thought was unfair. Look, we in the media have an obligation to query, scrutinize and debate. I think some of the arm, some of the flack flung at Lorrie I thought was unfair. And in the end, Fatima, I don't want to sound like a smart ass, but he who laughs last laughs loudest, and Lourie has given it to his critics, each and every one of them, with one of the most comprehensive Blues victories I can remember in recent years. And it was justification for Lorry in terms of his selections, in terms of his tactics, in terms of his ability to lift the side, in terms of the criticism directed him him, in terms of them being such heavy underdogs. No one gave the Blues a chance. No one gave them a chance. And I kept saying to people, without saying like a dickhead in hindsight, I kept saying, it's one all, get it through your heads, it's one to one. We have not lost this series. And I had it in a gut feeling word from the start, I should say that the Blues would go up there and they'd put on a master class, and the performance in Melbourne was a poor one. It was always going to be better than that, and everything Laurie touched that game turned to gold and all the critics can now eat humble pie and coins that can go away and sook for a year because New South Wales now are the supreme nation or stuff, I should say in terms of state of Origin.
Speaker 3: I must admit after that game too, I do remember thinking, why does it feel like the Blues have lost a series and there was still a game to go? So I do agree there was a bit of that, you know, and you are right there were things, especially after the first two game that you could criticize Laurie for the selectors for. But you know, but even going into game three, you know Leah mardin coming into the side. I know people say, oh, there's guys that are just made for Origin, and he's one of those guys. He wasn't playing really good at all. He paid four games, he was a little bit underwhelming. Bradman Best had only just come back from a hamstring injury, and even though to me the side looked well balanced, I still worried a little bit that maybe he wasn't making the right calls. But you know Bradman best does a repeat of twenty twenty four and the decider Leah Mardin for me is probably one of the well paynhats was incredible in that game as well, but one of the best forwards on the field.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Think what it does too. I think we can now finally and emphatically put to bed any debate about Nathan Cleary's greatness. I said before State of Origin, Nathan Cleary is a great who is heading headfirst toward regular league immortality. I don't think he particularly needed to win the decider for that to happen, but he's won it. He had three cracks at it before. It was almost like the last frontier that he hadn't quite conquered. He now conquered unbelievably. Two tries set up another one, and Nathan's performance in Game three up there at Hostile Sun Corpse Stadium proved once and for all that he is one of the all time greats, and certainly the greatest of the modern era. And for Nathan's detractors, I think that can now just squirrel away and hide under a rock, because Nathan's done it. He's done it well. Some of the names. I want to mention Hudson, Young Layer, Martin, the Bash Brothers. They were unbelievable in that game. Paynehas's first half was out of this world. He is just a machine. Payeharp I thought Mitchell Moses' kicking game was unbelievable. His general play wasn't brilliant, but his kicking game was.
Speaker 2: His long kicking game was.
Speaker 1: Out of this world. You mentioned Bradman Best. There wasn't a bad player in that blue side, and for them to go up there and not only win but win, well, look, there's an elephant in the room. We should touch on it. There was the Bradman Best dry which replays him indicated did flick Jack Bosstok's finger and went forward. But crime me a river, Crime me a river. We've been on the end of so many dug decisions over so many years. Queensland get one that goes against them and the tears start flowing across from col and Gata into tweed heads. Well, I don't particularly care. Look at the scoreboard. It's two to one. Queensland's now lost two of the last three series. Billy Slater's won four of his last ten, so we'ren't we going to start to question Billy Slater as Queensland coach when.
Speaker 3: Well, probably not straight away because that's not what Queenslanders do. But speaking of coaching features, everyone seems to suspect that, reading between the lines of what Lurie's been saying since origin, that he's not going to coach next year.
Speaker 2: If anyone would know, it's your bulled on what do you know?
Speaker 1: Look, I don't think Laurie will coach next year. No, that's that's mcgart feeling. Look, I haven't Laurie hasn't come out and said it publicly. So until Laurie says it publicly, I guess we're all guessing a fraction. But I'd be stunned if Lurie's back next year. And it does leave an interesting proposition for the new South Walge Rugby League because we all seem to think that Ivan Cleary will coach the Blues from twenty twenty eight. Of course, it leaves a gap year of twenty twenty seven. Look, I'm sure Dave Trodden at the new South Iage Ruge League would love Larry to come back for one more year, but I think Lorry's days are done in charge of the Blues. I think if he had any England to come back, I think victory almost ended up the Deemer. I think it was a beautiful way to Lauriy to go out an amazing win, a win which will go down in Origin Flare go down in Origin history, one of the greatest upsets we've seen in Origin. What better way if Lorrie does pull a pin for him to leave the Origin arena, If it is just.
Speaker 3: For one year until Ivan Cleary can come in in twenty twenty eight, who do you think?
Speaker 1: It is a hard one year? Yeah, it is just a year, And I think it's going to be very hard to tell a coach for a team that you've got one year. What happens Hypothetically if that coach wins three mil do you then say sorry, you're out. It's going to be a very difficult one. Look on face value, you think that King would be favorite. That King was the other candidate with Lori for this tenure, So you think King, you would come in for a year. Look, is there a possibility that maybe I've in coaches Origin next year and that allows Peter Wallace to take over the Reins mid season. That would obviously help him snowball into twenty twenty eight when he's full time coach. Just a couple of options to throw out there. I don't know the answer. No one does at the moment because Lourie hasn't formally stood down. But if Lurie does, I think they'll go with.
Speaker 3: Matt King, yeah, which you know, and there are a couple of other sort of He's got some really good assistant coaches, Laurie Daily, so and you know, if I'm Matt King, I know Matt King has NRL head coaching ambitions, But you know, you take over for one year and then maybe you then have to take a step back to Ivan Cleary. But that's you're taking a step back to Ivan Cleary. Like imagine as a coach in waiting, what you learn from a guy who's won four premierships maybe five premierships by the time he finishes. So it's not actually a bad deal for an up and coming coach.
Speaker 1: Let's jump back to Queens that, okay, because I want to ask you about this was an unlosable series if Laurie lost the unlosable last year, which I don't think unlosable is a right term because I don't think any origin is unlosable because every game is different. But if Billy did lose the unlosable this year, is he under pressure? Should he be under pressure? And yeah, is Billy safe for next year? Sorry for Tim, Let's be honest. If we cut to the chaser, Queensland choked. They choke And it's a very difficult word to spit out for Tima because it's a very heavy handed word, but they choked and froze under the pressure of expectation and being favorites.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And that was a very poor performance from a side everyone thought had these lofty standards and they were had their pants pulled down early by the Blues and they kept their decks around their ankles for the whole game.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well they were absolutely ambushed, you know, And I think they were ambushed by the intensity by the Blues energy. How they would not expect that the Blues would come out, you know, with that sort of fire in the belly really surprised me. I thought, you know, Billy Slater probably could have done a better job in preparing them mentally for that one. It was almost like they were a little bit clocked off mentally. The Moraines and you don't normally say that about the Moraines at sun Corp, especially in a decider. Look, I think you know Billy Slater too. I don't think he said he's a bit like Laurie, but as Billy probably wants to coach more than what Laurie does. But it has been quite coy about his future when he's been asked about it.
Speaker 2: I don't think the qr L will.
Speaker 3: Be tapping him on the shoulder though, whether they should be or not it's probably a different story. But I don't think I can't see them doing that.
Speaker 1: I've got no problem with that. I don't think Billy deserves to be putted either. My only query in all this is if that was a new South Wales coach you'd lost two out of three, he would be under amazing pressure to survive well, as this lovely shirt says, no BS. So this is our new segment and you can ask questions whatever you like and we'll do our best to answer them. It's called the BS Messages of the Week and you can flick those questions into code sports dot com dot au for team Are you ready?
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm ready.
Speaker 1: This comes in from Greg Abraham out there at Lovely Saint Clair, Okay, New South Wales, Bradman Best's try it was a knock on. Why can't we see the video that the bunker sees from the corner post A good question.
Speaker 3: So the NROL bunker sees all of angles, and sometimes the angle that is used by the bunker to determine a decision isn't always the one that is played in the broadcast. My understanding that the NRL said the angles used to determine that in the high ball contest was actually broadcast.
Speaker 2: The issue isn't necessary with this one. For me, it's not about angles.
Speaker 3: It's the fact that you could see he touched the ball from all the angles that were shown anyway. So yeah, it's like I said, I'm not going to complain too much about it. I'm a blue I'm glad it went in our way. But it was one of those things. I know, we're talking about angles, cornerpost angles, what's being broadcast, what's not being broadcast? But in multiple angles that we saw in the broadcast, we could sort of see Bostock's fingers sort of bend back a little bit when it touches the ball.
Speaker 1: So look, the bunker's a big part of our game. I don't always like the bunker because I think they stick. There'd be being far too much. But yeah, it's not infallible either, yep. Yeah, I think they Their success rate is in the ninety percent, so it doesn't attire there. So yeah, sometimes they might get one wrong. It just happens. It's still a human being who's controlling the bunker, yep, So it happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, speaking of yeah it is, it is tough.
Speaker 3: But one weird one I'm speaking of camera angles was actually from the Canberra Bulldogs game where the Cannabury challenged of forty twenty. Condor Tracy was adamant that it wasn't a forty twenty and somehow remarkably, even though it's trying to determine whether where a ball went out over the sideline, they didn't have that camerangle. So yeah, I don't know. It can be very messy sometimes. I think the Jack Bosta one was just a human error.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Bulldog Blair from GIMPI says in the middle of a club crisis, the Broncos response was to strip Gordon Tallis's name off the conference wall bs exclamation line.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was bs absolutely yes in capital letters. Yeah, I thought it was a ridiculous. I thought it was petty. Gordon Tallis has been one of the greatest players the Broncos have ever had. It won multiple premierships there. He represented Queensland and Australia from the Broncos and Gordy has a right in the media to question every single club. That's what we do in the media. We scrutinize and if the Broncos can't handle that, well then I think they have become far too thin skinned. So to do that to Gordon Tallis, I thought it was poor form. I thought it embarrassed Gordon. I thought it was unnecessary and I think in due course down the track, don't be surprised if that decision is reversed.
Speaker 3: What annoyed me about it was it dragged Ali Brigganshaw into something that wasn't It wasn't her fault, It wasn't her fault, It had nothing to do with her.
Speaker 2: And it's one of those things too.
Speaker 3: It's that you could find a way to honor Ali Brickntrol without doing that to Gordon as well. So yeah, anyway, yeah, there the Broncos, you know, we spoke about Canterbury and the Western Sydney teams and crisis.
Speaker 2: The Broncos are in a similar boat.
Speaker 3: Mark Waters from Umina Beach says col Reid Marni's try a double movement and then called Jack Howarth tried.
Speaker 2: Not a double movement. I call BS.
Speaker 1: I'm both YEA agreed it was BS on both. I saw the Jack House try and it was a double movement every day o the week. I don't know what the eneral of going to say when they have to be queried on that decision. He was brought down shore of the line, his momentum was stopped, and then he went again. It's a double movement every day other week. So I don't know how they got that one so badly wrong, but they did. And I thought the Red Marney tried down there at brook Fail was a try. Similar situation. He reached out, but I know he reached out for Tim, but his momentum also reached him out, so he just plumped the ball down on the line. So I think Mark got both these right. I think Reads was a try and Jack House wasn't a try.
Speaker 2: I agree both of them were bs.
Speaker 1: We agree