Speaker 1: Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: The Prime Minister's regional visits are to explain why he believes new gun laws will make Australia safer. I'm sorry about that.
Speaker 3: In the aftermath of the nineteen ninety six massacre at Port Arthur, Prime Minister John Howard donned a bulletproof vest and argued the case for gun control to crowds of angry protesters.
Speaker 2: Aware that once legal guns would now be banned. John Howard apologized for the inconvenience the gun laws may cause.
Speaker 4: I know that, I regret that.
Speaker 1: I apologize for that, but that is the mass of.
Speaker 2: Out a season, and he addressed any threats of a loss of electoral support for the Coalition against me.
Speaker 3: His reforms, including a ban on automatic and semi automatic weapon and a national buyback scheme, changed the country by getting rid of more than half a million guns, but in the years since, the number of guns in Australia has skyrocketed, and as Anthony Alberinezi tries to change that, the Coalition is fighting back. While the Greens have shown early support for the bill set to be debated today. I'm Nicole Johnston and you're listening to seven AM today Deputy Director at the Australia Institute, Ebonie Bennett, on why Australia has more guns than ever and whether Labour's proposed clan would make us safer. It's Tuesday, January twenty Ebonny, thanks for speaking with me. Can you lay out for me what the government's proposing.
Speaker 5: Well after the Bondai massacre last year, National Cabinet and agreed to a number of gun law reforms, and now the government is implementing a bill that will hold up its end of the bargain on there, and that includes things like limiting the number of firearms that anyone individual can hold, as well as limiting the open ended kind of firearms licensing that we've seen in the past. Obviously, the National Buyback Scheme and things like accelerating the work of standing up a national Firearms Registry.
Speaker 1: The government will establish a national gun buyback scheme to purchase surplus newly banned and illegal firearms, the largest buyback since the Howard government initiated one in nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 5: So in nineteen ninety six we saw the banning of semi automatic and automatic weapons, and again we'll see many more restrictions introduced of the type of firearm that we used in the Bondai massacre here and the Commonwealth's part of that in this legislation will be, for example, restricting the importation of reloading rifles and shotguns into Australia.
Speaker 1: Australia's gun laws were last substantially reformed in the wake of the Port Arthur tragedy. The terrible events at Bondai show we need to get more guns off our streets now.
Speaker 3: In the aftermath of the Bondai attack, one of the most shocking revelations was the fact that the older gunman, Sajid Akron, that he had six legally registered guns even though he was living in this city and his son had been investigated by ASIO. Why was that able to happen and how do these laws go about addressing that?
Speaker 5: Well, it's not exactly clear as yet how that happened, but obviously it's evidence that our current gun laws as they stand aren't working as intended. It appears like the New South Wales authorities may not have had access to that intelligence from ASIO, or the fact that one of those perpetrators was known to ASIO in the way that he was, and this legislation will introduce provisions that mean that all of those licensing authorities at the state and territory level will be able to access that kind of intelligence from Commonwealth agencies like AZO and the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission. For example.
Speaker 3: If we could talk about the last time that we had major gun reform after Port Arthur, what changes did John Howard make and how do we know about how they actually made the country safer?
Speaker 5: Yeah, the National Firearms Agreement was historic and landmark legislation and it's obviously still hugely popular with the public today.
Speaker 1: The Prime Mins to John Howard tonight detailed sweeping plans to reform Australia's national gun laws.
Speaker 5: Which could mean the introduction of a one.
Speaker 2: Off text to buy back illegal weapons.
Speaker 5: John Howard, in the wake of the Port Arthur massacre, gathered all the states and territories and the National Firearms Agreement did things like banning or restricting semi automatic and automatic fire arms, restricting the importation of those kinds of firearms.
Speaker 4: We need to achieve a total prohibition on the ownership, possession, stale and importation of all automatic and semi automatic weapons.
Speaker 5: It included introducing mandatory licensing systems and background checks for all license holders. It introduced things like rules for the storage and use of firearms. Obviously, it implemented the National Gun Buyback Scheme, which saw around six hundred and fifty thousand firearms surrendered to the authorities that at the time cost around three hundred million dollars to the Commonwealth. People could surrender their firearms, often to their local police station and then from the Australian Federal Police were in charge of destroying those weapons. And obviously it included people who owned guns that subsequently became illegal to own, or who in the wake of Port Arthur just felt like I don't really need these firearms anymore and I would like to do my part by handing them in. And we know that the National Firearms Agreement was incredibly successful because in the years leading up to the Port Arthur massacre we saw around thirteen mass shootings in the eighteen years preceding Port Arthur. In the wake of the National Firearms Agreement being introduced, that number of mass shootings involving casualties of five or more people dropped to zero. It had a number of other great benefits for the Australian community and their safety. So it accelerated the decline of homicides by firearm in Australia, and it also accelerated the decline in suicides by firearms in Australia. So it had a dramatic improvement in public safety. And it's really clear that the fewer guns are in the Australian community, the safer Australians.
Speaker 3: Are coming up the unfinished business after Port Arthur ebony. While John Howard's reforms had a big impact, there is some unfinished business from that time. Could you paint a picture of our current patchwork of gun laws around the country.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, as popular as the National Firearms Agreement was at the time, it's really important to note that really no state or territory or the Commonwealth indeed fully implemented all of the details of that agreement. Each state and territory still has a slightly different approach to gun laws, and really we're only as safe as our worst state or territory. So, for example, there was never implemented the agreement to prevent children from having access to firearms. Across the board. In most states, there's no limit on the number of guns that any individual can hold for a long time, Western Australia was the only state that had any kind of cap on the number of guns that you could legally own, and it was only December last year that New South Wales introduced its own caps. For example, thirty years after the fact, there is still no National Firearms Registry, something that all law enforcement would like access to. But for example, some states like here in the Act, all of their records of gun ownership for their Gun Register are analogue. They're on paper essentially, so that makes the process of establishing the National Firearms Register obviously much more difficult. We've also seen a steady chipping away in states and territories at Australia's gun law reforms over many years. People might not remember, but just prior to the Bondai massacre, for example, the Men's government in New South Wales was considering really relaxing New South Wales gun laws in a deal with the Shooters and Fishers Party. They were looking to enshrine a right to hunt, to open crown lands to hunting and shooting, and to legalize the ownership of silences and suppressors. They've obviously dropped all of that kind of legislation and now committed to much more restrictive gun laws. But it just shows you that over time state governments have become complacent about Australia's gun laws and that there are always elements of the gun lobby who've been trying to weaken them over decades.
Speaker 3: And on this issue of how many guns were allowed to have all the limits, could you tell us in some states how many guns we can actually own and what's the maximum?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so in Western Australia they had a cup of five for most gun owners and that could increase up to ten guns in New South Wales. I think the cap, for example, applies across the board. But currently WA and New South Wales are the only states that have caps on the number of guns an individual can own, So all the other states and territories really have no limits. And we know from the data that we looked into from various police forces across Australia that there are a number of people who own huge numbers of guns and it's not necessarily you know, farmers who are using them to control pest animals on their properties. For example, we know a large number of guns are held in city and metropolitan areas and in New South Wales, for example, there are close to one hundred people who own over one hundred guns each, many of them in the city. And obviously when it comes to the Bondai perpetrators, they had six guns lived in the city. And there's a lot of people in the Australian public saying, you know, why do you need that many guns?
Speaker 3: Ebany, you mentioned the National Register and there's been calls for this since Port Arthur, why do we need one?
Speaker 5: Obviously it's really important for law enforcement to know things like who has a gun at a property or if there are guns at a property, but it's also important for the Australian public. When the Australia Institute tried to find out how many guns there were legally owned in Australia, it was actually really difficult to find that information. It's not publicly available. Some states and territories really had difficulty locating that information. It wasn't easily accessible. The Northern Territory just didn't respond at all to our requests for that kind of information. So it's I think really important for the public to know, not you know, the personal home address of every gun or not. Obviously that's only for law enforcement, but just knowing in general how many guns there are in the community and roughly where they are. Are they in your suburb? I think you know is should be publicly accessible information for Australians.
Speaker 3: So Ebonie. On that point, what is it that you found out about the numbers and how did they end up increasing after the buyback scheme in the nineties.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so obviously the number of guns in the community has dramatically increased. It's now hovering around four million legally owned guns in Australia. And we've also found that a huge number of guns. Legally owned guns are stolen every year. When we looked at the number of guns that had been stolen over time, it equated to roughly one every four hours. And law enforcement has said that the theft of legally owned firearms is the biggest single source of illegal guns in the community, and we know that police I think, only recover around a third of those stolen.
Speaker 3: Weapons, so Ebonie. John Howard was able to pretty easily change Australia's gun law and was celebrated for it ever since. But how's the debate changed to the point where getting both sides of politics to agree on stricter gun control seems almost impossible.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was just really saddened to see John Howard come out in the wake of the Bondai massacre and call gun law reform a distraction. Obviously, gun law reform can't stop hate, it can't stop anti Semitism, but it can stop the kind of hate that we saw in Bondi from turning into the horror that we saw in Bondai. And I think John Howard's intervention here to label a gun law reform just a distraction really shows that the Coalition is really willing to trash its political legacy on gun law reform in the interests of politicizing this issue and making life more difficult for the Labor government. Obviously, there are big parts of the Nationals constituency, rural people, farmers who do want access to guns, and increasingly in recent years we've seen the Nationals really as the tail that's wagging the coalition dog. Thankfully, Australia does not kind of fetishize gun ownership in the way that we've seen in the United States, for example, but it's really clear the kind of retric employed by the NRA and the gun lobby, and to see Australian political debate all the time, and more and more frequently. It's only a few years since we saw Pauline Hanson's One Nation, for example, caught on tape trying to solicit tens of millions of dollars of donations from the NRA in exchange for weakening Australia's gun laws. But the Australian public really overwhelmingly supports stricter gun laws and it's widely considered, I think, the biggest and most positivelegacy of the Howard government. So it's really sad to see them abandon that for what looks like pure electoral politics.
Speaker 3: Ebony, thanks for speaking with us on seven AM.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Also in the news, the Albanezy government is seeking more details on an invitation to join US President Donald Trump's so called Board of Peace for Gaza. Deputy Prime Minister Richard Marles says the government welcomes the invitation to join the new international body, despite concerns from some diplomats it could undermine the work of existing organizations like the UN. The Board, which would be chaired by President Trump, will limit member states to three year terms unless they pay one point five billion dollars to fund the board's activities and earn permanent membership, and over the past year, Australian billionaire's average wealth grew by almost six hundred thousand dollars a day, or more than ten point five billion dollars collectively, according to new analysis from Oxfam. In its annual Inequality Report, Oxfam noted that Australia now has forty eight billionaires who hold more wealth than the bottom forty percent of the population combined. That's eleven million people. I'm Nicole Johnston. This is seven am. Thanks for listening.