Speaker 1: Doctor Stanley Beacham, welcome back to the podcast for a third time.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Paul. It's good to see you again. Yeah, I like your haircut.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: It's it's particularly good to say you because, well, we've both been through a little bump in the last few years since we last talked, haven't we. My listeners are very familiar with my little heck up kid.
Speaker 3: Just talk our listeners through years.
Speaker 2: So in July of twenty twenty three, I was diagnosed with acute probalystic leukemia. It's a type of leukemia that's a it's a genetic transformation. They don't even know what causes it, so it's not like you've got exposed to something. It's just one of these random acts of the universe. About four people and a million get it. Anyway. I got. Yeah, I was getting kind of My health was deteriorate and I couldn't figure out what was going on. I thought I had brian kitis because I was having trouble in my chest and you know, breathing. So I called the doctor about getting an inhaler and she said, well, when you come in, we'll check your blood. And so at ten thirty at night, I get a call from the doctor's office telling me to go to the emergency room shits. And I was like, I'll go in the morning, you know, and they're like, you know, I told the nurses, said just tell the doctor. I'll go in the morning. She said, let me call the doctor back. So she calls me about fifty minutes later and she says, no, you don't have that kind of time. You need to go tonight. So I found out about seven o'clock the next morning that I had leukemia, which explained why I you know, it felt so bad, you know, for the last several weeks, and I got to stay in the ICU for twenty five days. She and they started my chemo, which lasted one hundred rounds of chemo. So I started chemo in July of twenty three and I finished it in February of last year. And you know, it was sitting in the hospital for twenty five days with kind of nothing to do. Yeah, you know, that was that was actually really interesting just to observe how I was experiencing that, and it was it was interesting because it was really clear to me that I might die and that I was, you know, close to the edge. Yes, and after I got over the surprise of that and realized, yeah, I'm you know, I'm in a really vulnerable place right now, I kind of went straight into like, Okay, what do I want to do with this? And so I kind of made a promise to myself that I wouldn't be become a victim of it all, you know, and feel like I got a bad shake, if you will. And so I did things like when I got up in the morning, I would get out of the bed and I wouldn't get back in my bed. I would you know, sit in the chair. And I even walked around some after I got feeling better. And I never wore the hospital clothes. I had my own clothes and I wore my own clothes. And so I found you know that, you know, just like in any life situation, there's some things you have no control over, which can be a lot of things, but there's always one or two things that you can take ownership of. And I knew this from my own work and my own study, and that you focus on the things you have control over, not the things that you don't have control over.
Speaker 3: Yes, And.
Speaker 2: So you know, wearing my own clothes and really the only other decision I got to make was, you know, what I had to eat. You know, they would come around in the morning with the menu and I could pick my food. Of course, I was limited on the things that I could pick, but I really just got focused on, you know, controlling the things that I could control and accepting the fact that, you know, this may not end well for me. Yeah, but I can control my attitude and my approach to it, and so yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: I mean, actually I look back on it. I look back on it kind of fondly because I think it really informed me. I think, you know, I'm just more aware of the fact that there's a randomness to the universe that affects all of us, but we don't think about it because the way I think most of us live our lives, we act as if we have control over things that we really don't. It's absolutely like we're just not conscious of how vulnerable we are. That you know that any moment, you know, your life can can change in a significant way, and so you know, living through something like that for such an extended period of time, I just I just see that now as kind of the new norm, you know, Like, but it's always been that way. I just didn't know it. It wasn't so much that life changed, it's just my awareness and how I thought about it, you know. And and this the concept of being vulnerable and that there's no promises and no guarantees. So when I was in the hospital and I see you for twenty five days, I thought a lot about you know, if I live, what am I going to do differently? Because I said, I can't just go back to doing, you know, things exactly the way I did. And I think what I learned in that time is that the things that I take the most joy from and appreciate the most or actually just simple basic things like you know, going for a walk, you know, having having a meal with some friends, that it's not you know, it's not the big stuff, you know that most people think is what makes life great. I think it's the simple day to day activities that is really what it's about. I'll tell you a quick story. There was a guy in the hospital with me and he left and so I just I thought he was fine. And he came back about two weeks later, and I was I could walk around on the unit, but I couldn't leave the unit. It was kind of like being incarcerated in prison, because you know, we have no immune system, so you can't leave the unit because you're too vulnerable to get sick. So but you had to put a mask on when you left your own room, and people had to put a mask when they came into your room and cover themselves up, you know, in plastic gowns and the whole thing. And so I remember talking to this guy and I said, you know, what are you back for? And he said, well, I think it was either T cells or a bone marre transplant, can't remember. He said, I'm back to get this transplant. And I said, so what's that supposed to do for you? And he said, they tell me if I do this, I can live three more months. And this is a guy that was about forty and I was sixty one at the time, and he's saying this very matter of fact, you know, I mean, there's no emotion in his voice. It's just like, you know, just two guys have a conversation. And I said, what are you going to do with your time? And he's like, well, I'd like to go to the beach one more time. And then he said, then I just you know, I just want to sit on my back porch with my dogs and watch him running around in the yard. And he was he was serious about this, and that was kind of my first cue was like, Yeah, that's what That's what makes life really good, you know and delicious. Is you enjoy you know, watching your dogs play in the backyard or you know, watching your kid crawl around on the floor, or you know, having a meal with a friend. It's not all the big stuff. So that's that's really stayed with me, and that's really been helpful.
Speaker 3: That that's that's interesting.
Speaker 1: Stand that that that was the big thing that you took from it.
Speaker 3: I had just mentioned to you.
Speaker 1: Look, and all my listeners know that I went through open heart surgery, which was a bit of a surprise, finding out from a check with my cardiologist that I was born with the dodgy valve that would kill me.
Speaker 3: And I remember.
Speaker 1: Walking out of there and him saying to me, you need to have open heart surgery and going home.
Speaker 3: The first thing.
Speaker 1: It's interesting, isn't it that that that what you expose yourself to tends to come up in those moments. And you've had a life of being a psychologist, working and you've wrote a brilliant book called Elite Minds, and you've worked with the lead athletes about optimizing the mind all your life. You've work with business consultants. I'm in a similar space, but as you probably know, I'm quite into stoic philosophy and awards of Seneca rung in my ears as I walked out of the Earth, which was I pitied the man who's not faced adversity because he's not faced an opponent, and nobody, not even him, knows what he's capable of. And I remember going home and I wrote the words worthy opponent on my bathroom mirror, and my whole idea was this was my worthy opponent that was going to test and develop me. But it's only because of all the stuff that I've been exposed to that then kicks in right and my natural bent and probably yours as well, because I'm a ridiculous optimist and I'm going this is all going to be fine. But I actually had to remember forcing myself and going, no, you need to find out exactly what the risks are, and you need to prepare yourself.
Speaker 3: So I'm you go ahead, you go now.
Speaker 2: I was just saying, I remember thinking to myself, I'm going to find out if I'm a hypocrite because all the things that I've been, you know, telling other people you know, to think about or how to approach it. And I remember thinking, I remember asking myself the question like, are you going to become a hypocrite? You know, are you going to become a victim of all of this and feel sorry for yourself? And you know you're talking about the stoics, you know, I love this saying a more fate, you know, lover of faith, Yes, you know? Of really if you here's here's the way I think about it. If you can really want your life and not somebody else's life, If you can want your fate even if it means you die younger than you wanted to, or you know, you lose a loved one or whatever.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: If you can really understand the the acceptance and then the love of one's fate, then you have no regrets and nothing bad happens to you, right. I mean you can think of having leukemia or having heart surgery as you know, a bad thing, and people say, I'm sorry, Well, it doesn't have to be that way, you know. I mean, I talk to people in business, you know, and that you know, they lose a lot of money or they lose their business and you know, and they recovered from it away and they look back on it and say, you know, thank God, I learned that lesson early on. Yeah, you know, I'm glad I went bankrupt when I was thirty and you know, when I'm sixty. And I know it sounds kind of trivial to you know, to say that out loud, but it's really quite possible that you can fall in love with your own life, in the fate of your own life, even the tragedy of it. Because I can tell you what, when I was in ICU for twenty five days, you know, getting you know, leukemia, every day I felt more alive in that hospital room than I think I ever have my entire life. I mean, I was fully aware, my mind was you know, I was paying attention to every moment, and I was really deliberate, intentional about simple things that, you know, simple decisions, because even the simple decisions had some value to me.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, And that it's really interesting that you bring up amor Fatty that love of feet, because you know, the the the thing.
Speaker 3: I've been a big believer.
Speaker 1: In fact, I've got a tattoo on my arm and memento Maury. So particularly Marcus Aurelius said to himself over and over again, remember that you are mortal, Marcus. And his whole idea was to remember it, not to be morose, but to remind yourself that life is a precious gift. And so when I found out, I forced myself to go and look at the what's the risks of death? And then I forced myself to contemplate my own death. Now, my risk of dying was surprisingly low, actually less than one percent fatalities on the operating table, and I thought, well, I'm pretty fit.
Speaker 3: I've got a good chance.
Speaker 1: But I actually forced myself to confront that possibility, not to be negative, but from that perspective of the sort of Japanese psychology slant of Arugamama, with things as.
Speaker 3: They are, what needs to be done.
Speaker 1: So I thought to myself, well, you need to get your reffers in order, you.
Speaker 3: Need to shoot shoot.
Speaker 1: Some videos for your kids in case you do go. And I actually forced myself to contemplate my own death. That the thing that I really got into was amor fatty and and trying to go, well, fuck, if this is it, right, if this is this is the big step for me?
Speaker 3: Can you love your feet right?
Speaker 1: Can you say, hey, this might well happen and you might well go. Can you actually embrice because me, for me, that's the last big challenge of the Stoics is to love your feet at even when you get a shit sandwich from the universe and the thing that and everybody gets one, oh yes, oh yes, we're all going to get one, and some people have had, some people have had their unfair share of shit sandwiches from the universe. Right, But you know, the thing that really stuck out for me, I'm not sure about you, was just reflecting on my life and going, well, if this is it, I was actually I'm content, And for me, that was the big take home out of that whole ordeal is that the goal of life should not be happiness because that's a fucking fleeting emotion that people chease, and the goal in life should be contentment or serenity. And I actually started using this to reflect back on my life and going fucking hell, I've had a good run, I've done some amazing shit, I've met some awesome people, and if this is fated to be it, then it is what it is. And I was kind of at peace with it. I knew that, you know, the things I would be sad about was not seeing my kids grow up, not growing old with my wife.
Speaker 3: But to your points, then what it.
Speaker 1: Really did is it made me really be much much more mindful in just daily life. I don't mean sitting down and meditating. I mean smelling the roses, walking around, you know, with taking my dogs, are just enjoying seeing my dogs run around with their tails wagging, looking at the colors of the sky.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Isn't it strange that we have to go through something so confronting to really get to the essence of what life is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's. I think it's a realization that you know, you may actually lose your life, it would come to an end. And again walking right up next to that and having that experience of being close to your own death I think can be really informative because now you know it's going to happen. It didn't happen that time, but but it is going to happen. You know, I am going to die, and it's probably not going to be on my terms, right, it's probably not going to be when I think it's going to happen, or how it's going to happen. Because I remember when they told me I had leukemia. I was really surprised. I just like I remember thinking, like, I didn't see that one coming, you know, heart disease. You know, I'd thought about that, you know, because I've had people in my family die of heart disease. But I just I just remember thinking, wow, I never I never thought that's how I would die, and now that's might that might be how I die. And I remember when I would I don't know if it was the first of the second as in the hospital when the nurses came around and you know, they ask you all these questions and you fill out these all these forms about do you want to be resuscitated or not? Well, yeah, I don't know if they did that with you. And I remember telling her that I didn't want to be resuscitated and if anything happens, just let me go. And I could see that she was really surprised by that, and she said like, I don't think you understand what I'm saying, you know, because evidently most people say, yeah, do everything you can to keep me alive. And here's this, you know, stupid souff a bit saying, no, don't try to keep me alive, just let me go. And so she asked me like several times because you end up having to sign, and I said, yeah, don't, don't resuscitate me, don't do anything. You know, if it's if it's my time to go, it's my time to go. I don't want to lay in the bed for months, you know, before I die. I'd rather just you know, go right away. I don't want to prolog my dying, you know, I just remembers.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Stine was just going to ask this was that link to this I'm more fatty idea, this love of fear.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, I mean it was just like if this is how I'm going to go, whether I go now or in a month from now, it doesn't matter, you know, not really not to me. What I didn't what I didn't want to do, is be a burden, you know, because I think, you know what this what's interesting is so why I was fighting for my life against leukemia. My father had to mention and he was progressively dying. In fact, he died the week before I finished my chemo shit. And so that was a real irity, right as I was fighting to stay alive, and you know, and there was nothing he could do. And so I'm watching him deteriorate as I'm slowly getting better, and I remember thinking, you know, that's that's a unique experience.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, sometimes the universe those two fus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but and I remember just hoping that he would go ahead and die because his quality of life was so bad. You know, it's like we treat farm animals, you know, with more humanity than we do humans. You know, just people laying in the bed for months at a time. You know. It's just like, so I'm glad that didn't happen to me, you know.
Speaker 3: And what did you make any deals with yourself?
Speaker 1: You know, because obviously as you're going through that, there's a shit heap of stuff that goes through your head. Did you make any deeds with yourself?
Speaker 3: A Ryan?
Speaker 1: If I get through this, this is what I'm going to do differently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I spent actually, when I was in ICU for twenty five days, I spend a lot of time thinking about that. You know, if I have a little bit of time left, how do I want to spend it. I was thinking about more from the standpoint. If I just have a couple of years left, you know, what will I do? And the main thing that came to me is I'd like to go back to Spain and walk the Camino to Santiago again, which I actually did the month after I finished my chemo. I went over and walked the whole thing again. But I remember just thinking, you know, I really would like to do that again. And I remember thinking, I want to keep working, but I don't want I don't want work, my work to define me the way that it did. I think I think too much of my identity, and I think it's true for a lot of men, you know. I know it is in the US, and I would imagine it is in Australia as well, that so much of your identity is what you do. You know, people say, you know, it's one of the first things we asked somebody, what do you do? And then you tell them what your job is? Right, And I remember, you know, thinking, I don't I don't like the fact that so much of my identity is in my work and in my occupation, and that how I think about myself is so much tied into how well you know business is going. You know, then when business is going really well, I feel better about myself and that kind of thing. And I just remember thinking that was it's kind of hollow, you know, like that's but now I work. I still work, but I work for a different reason. I work because I realized I have to work because I need something to focus on that's not me. I think when people don't stay busy, or they don't have a job, or they don't have activities, you know that. You know that when people talk about I'm bored, what I think happens is when you when you aren't engaged like that, there's a lot of time to sit around and think about yourself, right, And I don't think that's good. I know it's not good for me in my senses, it's not good for most people. So I mean, one of the benefits of having work or having other people in your life is that you don't focus on yourself all the time and you don't think about yourself. And I know that my best days are when I'm busy doing other things or helping other people, and I just don't think about how stand doing and how's this day going. You know, those truly are my best days, so I have to fill them with something, and as long as I can still work and be of help, I think I'll keep doing that. But I say that because I think a lot of people they don't They don't have enough going on, they don't have enough activity, but challenging activity. You know what I'm saying. It's one thing to go and find something to do. It's another thing to seek out something that's really difficult, because I think we should take on as much challenge, responsibility, and difficulty as we can tolerate. That is really being fully alive. You know, when you have a full plate and you're taking on as much as you can, not more than you can handle, because now you're overly stressed. But what I'm saying is I think a lot of people they actually hurt themselves because they don't take on as much responsibility as they actually could, or they don't try to do difficult things. And again I'm not saying try to do things that you can't do. I'm saying, go right up to the edge of yourself right and do as much as you can. Like that really is the best life.
Speaker 1: That that is where you feel alive, right, and it's yes. There's a couple of things I want to unpack in what you just said. The first one was around identity, because again that that was an interesting thing for me round you know, you do a lot of self reflection when you are and facing your own mortality, and you certainly didn't, and I did, and I was I had to force myself to overcome my optimism bias because I wanted to actually use this opportunity to properly meditate on my death and actually stir into the abyss as you've talked about and actually you know, take out the lessons of life and that identity thing.
Speaker 3: You will have seen this more than me.
Speaker 1: I've seen it a lot with business people who retire. I've seen it with athletes who retire. You will have seen it with a lot more athletes who stop playing that they fall into an existential crisis because their identity is so wrapped up in the stuff that they do. And I was coaching a guy who was an athlete who just you know, was a big quite a big athlete, but then got injured career over and my coaching with him was to try to get his identity around his character and his values rather than his job. Because when we connect our identity to what we do, fucking hell, we're on thin ice, aren't they.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't, it doesn't. It won't sustain you the way I think people think. Again, it's a societal message, right, you know, go to school, study hard, get a good job, you know, get promoted, move up the food chain, and then you'll have a good life. That's I mean, that's the story we're told, right and versus you know, do something that you really enjoy doing, that you're passionate about, that you care about, that you can you know, throw yourself into so you know, they talk about, you know in the research. You know when people get into a flow state or in the zone, you know that there's no sense of self like, there's no doing. It become I become the activity to that I'm doing. It's not that I'm doing the activity, it's that the activity and I are one thing you can think about. You know. Musicians talk about this, right, you know when they're having a jam session. Artists will do that. I mean it's hard for corporate people to get into it, but but you can. But that's really what we should be seeking is this experience of being one with what you're doing because you're you're you're so engrossed in it and you're so focused on it and versus thinking about what I'm doing. Am I making any sense? When you're when you're really doing it, you're you're not thinking about how well you're doing it, that all goes away, you know, as well as distortions and time. And then the other thing you see when we get in these flow stakes is even when we're doing things really difficult, we experience them as effortless. So what that tells me is is the problem is not doing the difficult task. The problem is is becoming too aware of oneself or judging oneself when you do the task. Like, if you can just do the hard thing without judging yourself, you'll find that you can actually do a lot more difficult things at a higher level than you ever thought. So the problem isn't really doing the task. The problem is the self doubt and the self judgment that you have in the process of doing the task.
Speaker 1: I want to connect that flow stit, which is the optimal state, and anybody who's ever been in it knows it is an awesome state.
Speaker 3: And I think a lot of people.
Speaker 1: You know, if they're if they're in business in life, you know, they could probably relate to that in a time in sport or something where they were doing something challenge where they were immersed in it.
Speaker 3: But for me, the next step.
Speaker 1: Because we can't be and flow twenty four to seven, right, but the next step to flow or are cloas to flow for me is this idea of being fully engaged in life. And this comes from the research around hardiness. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the hardiness research around control orientation, challenge orientation, and commitment orientation. And part of that commitment orientation is that people who are highly committed are fully engaged in their activities of life, like they're curious about life. And you know, these people, they just they seem to have that zest for life. No matter what they're doing, they're in it. They're completely in it. Whether there's a lot of people who are just fucking blah and who are half doing stuff.
Speaker 3: And I always and.
Speaker 1: That's why I have that Memento Mority tattoo on my arm, is to just look at it and remind myself, fucking hell, this day could be here, last why not just be into shit rather than just go through the motions?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what other.
Speaker 1: Lessons or reflections and did you come up as I think there was two that you talked about to start, and I want to make them obvert for listeners. That the idea of what you said without saying it was and that stoic idea of player given roles, well that epic Tata said, we are all actors in the play and at base sometimes we get a part that we don't want and he's basically talking about the universe and the ship Sandwich from the universe, but that our focus in life should be to play our given roles well. And you clearly stepped into that where it was like, well, if I'm fated to have leukemia, how do I do this well? And that was the same with me with my heart surgery. If if that's my feet, how do I play this role? Well, that's one that I want to highlight and we can dive into that a little bit deeper, but that whole idea of focusing on what you can control is really important. You talked about your little routines and what you did. I actually did, and I don't think i've told anybody this before, but CARDI couldn't believe it. In ICU, when I first woke up from heart surgery, I got out of bed and did ten squats because I just wanted to focus on something that I could and I wanted to lean into this. And it wasn't for it was more for the point of doing the action and getting out of bed and saying, I ain't taking a shit lying down, I'm just going to focus on something that I can achieve here. Just for that that sort of self mastery, I think. So is there anything else that you want to unpack around those two things before we talk about all the lessons that you or I may have learned from this that could be useful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean to that point, Paul, I think just a focus on the fact that whatever situation you find yourself in, you always have a choice. And you know, there's there's interesting research done on people who are in survival situations right where some people, you know, get lost in the woods and die and other people live. And you know what the research says is the people that die, they get really mad that they're in the situation and they say things like I can't believe this happened to me. This shouldn't happen to me, and they stay really angry at the situation. They never accept you know, that there you know, that their ship is capsized in the ocean, or that they're lost in the middle of the you know, the woods or the desert or the jungle, and because their mind is focused on this shouldn't have happened to me, So those people die. The people that live in survival situations, they think, Okay, well, this is not how I think ought today was going to go. But what's the single best decision that I can make right now to help myself? And so they think about that is it, you know, try to find water or shelter or some way to signal. And so you you focus on what's the single best thing I can do to help myself survive or what's the single best decision I can make right now? And then you do that. And then after you do that, then uk, what's the next thing I can do?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right, and you just you just keep your mind consumed with what's the next best choice I can make? And what you see is that those people tend to survive in these survivor you know situations, But So if you don't go back to a more effect, if you don't accept your situation and you're angry that you're in the situation that you're in, you will you will undoubtedly do two things. You will do harm to yourself and you will do harm to everyone around you because you simply didn't have the ability to accept that it's my turn. And I remember saying that to myself when I was in the hospital, you know, because everybody knows somebody who had cancer, and I remember just thinking, it's my turn. And I didn't think it was going to happen this way. I didn't think it was gonna happen at all. But this is my turn, and so what am I going to do with my turn?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: That, and I think the folk you've really highlighted for me, and I kind of knew it, but it wasn't that overt that. The precursor, I think to focusing on what you can control is acceptance.
Speaker 3: That that is the enabler of focusing on what you can control.
Speaker 1: Because if we think about this from a broader perspective, you mentioned I didn't want to be a victim. There's a lot of people out there who are victims. Are fucking professional victims. And you will know some of these people stand that that you know, this person's got it better than me, that person's got it better than me, and they they are angry, but it's not just the anger. It's where their energy goes. It's the flashlight of their attention is shown on them being a victim.
Speaker 3: And I think the other thing that.
Speaker 2: Is really becomes their identity too.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, it becomes they're.
Speaker 2: The defining thing about themselves as I'm the person who's had all these terrible things happen to me, and then you're supposed to feel sorry for me, and you're supposed to treat me in some preferential way because of how difficult I've had it. Of course, if you actually did that to the person, you would do them a disservice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: And I think the thing that I often say, and I think it's happening more and more as well as a victim mentality is an entitlement mentality, that that people feel like they are entitled to having a good life and entitled to whether it's not be offended or any of that.
Speaker 3: I'm just like, this is fucking wrong.
Speaker 1: This is completely the wrong way to approach life, because it just puts people in a tailspin and all of their attention and therefore their energy is focused on negative and war is me and and they're just it's it's that it's that vacuum of war that energy could be. It's not just the damaging effect, you know, It's that it's that double thing. It's like if you have a shit diet, it's not just the fact that you're eating shit food that's causing you damage. It's also the fact that you've crowded out of your diet a lot of good nourishing food, so you actually end up with a double one.
Speaker 3: Any thoughts on that.
Speaker 2: And that you don't value yourself enough to take care of you And so I think, you know, in our Western society, if we encounter someone who doesn't value and take care of themselves, it's very difficult for us to value them too. Like when you run into someone who's given up on themselves, it's really hard, you know, especially in the business world, in competitive environments, when you run into people who've given up on themselves, it's highly unlikely that the people around you are going to want to take you on as a project because it takes a lot of energy, you know. I mean you can do it if it's a family member or a close friend perhaps, but we don't normally do that in you know, competitive environments and business environments. When we see people who've already given up on themselves, we tend to steer around them because it's it can be exhausting to be in a relationship with someone like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I you know, what I really struggle is done. And it's funny you mentioned that when I people who've given up on themselves. When I see friends who whether they've been through a marriage breakup and they're being a victim, I find it really hard not to have contempt for them. That's something and it's interesting you mentioned that we tend to stay around them, because that's something that I really struggle with, is when I see someone who's not helping themselves. And maybe this is a personal fault of mine, but I have to force myself not to be contemptuous around those people. How do you, as a coach and get around that? Because you have seen and dealt with these people. I need some tools here for me to deal with people who've given up on themselves.
Speaker 2: Well, I think I think it's possible to have compassion for people who are suffering, and that is a form of suffering and insisting. Like when I run into an angry person, Now, what I tell to myself is is that person is hurt, because you don't become angry unless you're hurt first. And so when I see an angry person, I just tell myself, this person is hurting, okay, and don't pay attention to the anger. Look look for the hurt, and see the hurt beneath the anger. So there are things like that that we can do. I think. The other thing I sometimes say to people is, you know, do you want my help or do you want my advice on what's going on with you? And if you ask them, a lot of times they'll say yes, but they really don't want it. And I'll say, well, if if my advice were to actually, in the short term, make you feel worse, would you want to hear it? Right? Because sometimes the thing that the person needs to hear is not what they want to hear. You know, it's not the oh, it's it's going to be okay, honey, It's going to be all right. And so I find it helpful to say you know, I'll talk to you about this, and I'll be honest with you, but I need to let you know that it's likely that I might say something that you know you don't like or is upsetting to you. But I also realize that there are probably some truths that other people haven't told them right. Yes, And you know, there's an interesting thomasoul saying that says, if you want to help someone, tell them the truth, if you want to help yourself, tell them what they want to hear. And I think we do that a lot. But I think so there's what I'm getting to is, I think the probably the best thing that you can do for a friend or a loved one is tell them the truth. And sometimes the truth is is how you feel when you're in their presence, or the fact that you find yourself not wanting to be around them anymore in your trouble by that. But that's the reality. Yeah, it's you know, it's a risk to speak the truth. I think telling the truth is probably one of the most dangerous things that we do. I mean, if you really are, you know, in fully transparent and candid way telling the truth, I think it's I think it's very risky, and it's dangerous because there are people that if you tell them the truth, they're they're going to write you off for it, or they're not going to ever want to be in relationship with you again. You know. I see it in the workplace all the time, where people are really won't tell their boss what they really think, or you know, like couples where they really won't tell their partner what they really think because they're afraid that, you know, something bad will come of it, you know, And so we just we estab we create all these relationships where we just tiptoe around each other as if telling the truth is a terrible thing. But the fact of the matter is the truth. The truth can be painful, but it doesn't damage you. And this is what a lot of people don't understand about the truth. It doesn't damage. It's kind of like getting a shot. When you get a shot, there's pain when the needle goes in, so you feel pain, but it's not harming you. It's just painful. And people need to understand that there's something that can be painful, but you're not being harmed by it. And I think, you know, conversation with someone who will really tell you the truth would be that way, you know, where it would be painful. And so that's what I try to do with people, to say, you know, there, I got something I want to tell you, Paul, but I'm kind of reluctant to do it because I feel like if I say this to you, you know, you might be mad at me and it might damage our friendship. And then I'll say, so, you know that said, do you want me to tell you? And almost always they say, yeah, tell me. So now you're asking me for it, you see.
Speaker 3: So that's the permission.
Speaker 2: That's kind of a nice yeah, yeah, so that's back to answer your question. That's a nice tactic. If you have some really hard, you know, difficult things to say to someone you know, ask them for permission and just say I'm reluctant to tell you this because I'm afraid you're going to be hurt by it or angry and I don't want I don't want that to go there, but at the same time, I don't want to be disingenuous. And then once they ask you, they'll say, yeah, I want you to tell me that, right there changes their response because now they've asked.
Speaker 3: For Yeah, now that that is gold advice.
Speaker 1: And actually the other bit of advice that I liked from that is to look what's behind their behavior too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know the.
Speaker 1: Old saying, you know, never judge somebody until you've walked them mile in their shoes. So from the anger, understanding that there's hurt behind the anger and to look for that. And one one thing I wanted to talk about you kind of meant you touched on it a little bit earlier, But I'm becoming more and more focused on this idea of your flashlight of your attention. And it's something that I got from my wife from Japanese psychology where they they talk about the flashlight of your attention is the most important thing in your life because and when you think about it from a neuroscience perspective, Stein, I think you'll agree that attention is a precursor for everything in the pream It's a precursor for.
Speaker 3: Emotions and feelings, it's a precursor for auction.
Speaker 1: Has this experience changed Were you direct the flashlight of your attention or were that flashlight lingers longer?
Speaker 2: I think I'm more intentional about how I spend my time just because I feel like I have less of it. There's a there's an urgency that I that I feel so for like, let for example, last weekend, I went down to Guadalajara, Mexico to visit a friend, and I think probably normally I wouldn't have done that, but I remember thinking to myself, this might be my only chance ants to go. And when I said that to myself, this is this will probably be my only chance. Then I went versus I think if you talked to me five years ago, my response would have been, Oh, there'll be another chance, There'll be another opportunity, yes, yes, right, And now I realize, no, there's there's like a lot of things that you're going to do one last time or or you're only going to have one opportunity in your whole life to do it. And what are you going to say? You know, you're going to say yes or no. So I think I've been more open to doing some things that maybe you call it spontaneous. But I'll give you another just simple example. So I travel a good bit for work. And one of the things that I realized when I was in the hospital for so long is I don't mind the business travel and the and the work what I really dislike is the hotel room, you know, you know, the isolation of it. So I thought, well, if I can, if I can stay with friends instead, that would make it better. So, you know, I reached out to some friends and like they're like, there's a company I work with in Dallas, and one of the guys, who's a senior guy with the company, I've known for a long time. And I told him, I said, look, let me, let me just tell you what's going on. It's like, I don't want to stay in a hotel anymore. You know, I want to stay at somebody's house and his kids are grown like mine. And I was like, you know, if you and your wife are comfortable, I would like love to stay with you guys, and you know, and find a way to reciprocate, like you know, take them out to and whatnot. And so I've been doing that for a year now and it's been wonderful, and you know, I really enjoy being there and they enjoy having me, at least they act like they enjoy having me, and so it's just kind of a win win thing. And so I think about that, you know, of the things that you don't enjoy but yet are still necessary find a way to make it more fulfilling. Yeah, and that sometimes and that sometimes means asking someone to help you. And I realized one of the things I realized being in the hospital is I don't mind it at all if people ask me for help, but I really have a hard time doing that. And I think I have this concern of I don't want to be a burden or a problem to someone. And I know there's kind of a womb there, you know that that's about because it doesn't bother me when people ask for help. But for some reason, I've really struggled to do that myself. And you know, I remember thinking, I've got to I've got to work on that. I've got to be willing to ask for help or ask for what I need. The person can always say no, but you know if you don't ask, But what you you know, people who freely give, they'll tell you they get something out of.
Speaker 3: Giving, right, Yes, yes, so mean it.
Speaker 2: Works both ways. So I was I was unbalanced in that way.
Speaker 3: Mm hm.
Speaker 1: The the urgency thing is is really interesting and similar to your story about going down to I can't remember what he said, it was Mexico or whatever to visit someone might be that did you get Because I was hymning and haying about going back to the UK before my operation, and then I actually thought to myself, fucking hell, I need to go just in case. And I called it my just in case visit, right, and everything was so I'd go, I'd visit my navy mats. I visited my mates from UNI and I was like, We're going out to have a just in case party, just in case I didn't make it. On the other side, because I actually I thought about it and I thought, well, what would I regret if I did die on the operating table? What would I regret not having done? And And that's the the attitude that I had in facing my mortality was was not to be negative, but to go I've got a shot here to do stuff or to to not have any regrets, and so focusing that potential negative outcome on well, what needs to be done right? If you're going to cark it on the operating table, what would you have regretted not doing? And they were the things that I made myself do right. But it then spills over, doesn't it to your point that you start to live more in the moment and have more of that sense of urgency because we actually are. When you're confronted with your own death, you realize, fucking hell, Hi, just high, not only precious, but just hi.
Speaker 3: What's the word I'm looking for?
Speaker 1: Hi?
Speaker 3: Easily it can be gone life.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know. The other thing that came to me in all this is, you know, when someone has a family member or friend that dies, you know, we say I'm sorry. In other words, we think of death as a bad thing, as an unfortunate thing. And kind of where I'm at with right now is it's the next thing. I don't have to think of my death or anyone's death as a bad thing. I can think of it as that's the next thing that happens, right It is like you weren't alive, and you know, then you got born, and then you lived, then you died, and then whatever happens after that. Of course, you know, there's a lot of theories on what happens when the physical body dies, and I'm no expert, but some of the things that people believe I kind of have to chuckle at. But you know, I think what happens when when we die is that there's a handful of people who really loved us and they miss us and they and they grieve and they feel bad for a while. Like that's what I think happens when we die, is the people who love us hurt, but we don't hurt. The person that died doesn't hurt. There's no pain, you know what I'm saying. If I'm the dead guy, there's no pain for me, but my loved ones there is. And but anyway, what I'm getting to is is like do we have to think of death as this bad thing that we should all try to avoid at all costs? Like how's that serving us? And again, I'm not saying like I want to die, but I'm just saying it's like it's it's it's you know, it's okay, you know, it's all right. You know it's the next thing. And I don't know what it's going to be like. But you know, I'm kind of curious. Yes, yes, I'd love to be an expert. I'd love to be with these guys who you know, you know, yeah, I died and came back and I can tell you.
Speaker 1: But I am where I've landed with this. And again, I think I think it's such a good exercise to really confront your own mortality. And unfortunately, you know, for most of us, we are forced into it from that situation. But it's I think it's an opportunity deny to many to be able to confront your own mortality. And the conclusion that I came to is that death is when I go to die. By my numbers up, I'm entering into life's last great adventure.
Speaker 3: That's it. It's the last adventure.
Speaker 1: And we go into it and we'll either know or we won't know. But it's life's last great adventure. And it's as you said, it's just the next step.
Speaker 2: And I think the dead guy is not the one suffering. It's the loved ones of the dead guys suffer. The dead person's free.
Speaker 1: So is there something stand that you would having gone through that experience, that you would like your eighteen year old self to know, or some of the young people out there to know, or even anybody just in terms of lessons, But what's the poignant ones.
Speaker 3: That you come come through with this?
Speaker 1: Because I'm sure you analyze that that whole experience, given what you actually do, right, it's hard not to analyze and watch your own journey through that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I remember when I was in the hospital and my son and one of his best friends came to visit me one evening and his his my son's friend is a really inquisitive, inquisitive, bright kid, and he was asking me about, you know, what I've learned from all this and what's changed, And I said, and what advice that I have, you know? And I said to him, I said, you know, just get on with your life. If there's something that you really want to do, don't don't wait around for the right time of the perfect situation. You know, Uh, live your life with a sense of urgency. And because if you don't, then you're then you're waiting to start your life. Yes, and that's terrible. So anyway, I didn't know it at the time, and I found out later. But this kid, he went to his job the next day or that week and he quit his job and he started his own business that he was wanting to do. And he told me about it later. I said, well, thank god it's working out for you. Otherwise I would have felt like an ass, you know, but in just that sense of like, you know, what do you want to do with this one wild and precious life that you have because you're not going to have it for much longer. Yes, you know, and so the thing that you've been thinking about doing that you haven't had the courage to do. You know, when you're dead, you're going to have the courage because you're not going to be afraid anymore. But you don't have but you ran out of time.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because I had written Dyne the thing for me to coach myself or others, seize opportunities, seize them, And it's a lie with there's I'm not sure if you're familiar with this research from Richard Wiseman, who's a British psychologist and a very very good one, but has studied lucky people in the UK. Right, And he did this massive study where he advertised and he's been on TV and all sorts of stuff. Right, So he designed this study where he advertised he wanted people who were unlucky and people who were lucky, and and so he got a whole heap of volunteers and being in the UK, there was clearly more people who felt they were unlucky than the way they were lucky.
Speaker 3: But he basically did a series.
Speaker 1: Of experiments and analysis of these people and found that lucky people are actually no luckier than unlucky people. They just take their opportunities because when an opportunity comes, they have an optimism bias and they actually go, I'm going to go and do this, whereas the un lucky people, because of their filter, they still have opportunities, but they either don't see the opportunities or they don't take them because they go that will not walk out for me, or the time isn't right. And and to your point, Stein, and if the time isn't right, it might be your only time.
Speaker 3: You might not get another shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I heard a really interesting thing the other day. It was actually it was on a TV show called Landman. Billy Bob Thornton plays a oil guy in West Texas and he's and he's given advice to his teenage daughter who has a boyfriend at the time, and he says, every relationship that you have is going to fail except for the last one, you know, and the kids like seventeen. So if this relationship that you have, the boyfriend, if this isn't the last one, it's going to fail, you know. And I wish someone had said that to me when I was young, Like, you know, every relationship you have is going to fail. It's going to end. There's going to be a break up, you know, and there'll probably be some heartache. But if you're lucky the last one, there won't be the I mean, it still might be difficult, but you know, I think about that same you know thought process applies to a lot of things, like sometimes you have to take a job that you don't want so that you can get the job that you do want. Yes, right, And I mean that was one of the pieces of advice I gave my son when he's came along. It's like, you know, take this job not because you want it, but take this job because it's going to help you get the job that you want. And I see a lot of people they're really reluctant to do that, like, you know, I don't want.
Speaker 3: To do that.
Speaker 2: But if you understood that, it was you know, it's like it's part of your path, and it's a you know, on your journey, there's uphill, right, and there's days where you walk in the rain, and that's all part of the journey. It's not you know, slightly downhill with the wind at your back. That's not that's not what anyone gets. But I think a lot of people don't understand that doing the difficult thing or the thing that you initially don't want in that moment is act. See what's going to make you become the person that you want to be. You know, it's that saying of you know, hard times make strong men, strong men make good times. Good times make weak men. Weak men make hard times. I thought about that a lot as well. You know, It's like, so the question is do you want to be a strong person? Yes, okay, then you must embrace the hard times.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, And that's the back to where we started where It's like, I think most people, if you ask them what they really want, what they'll tell you is they want their life to be you whan they say they want to be happy or whatever. They want their life to be easier. They don't want to struggle as much as they are. But I think the struggle is absolutely necessary. So I would say, is you want to if your life is not going well or if you feel stuck, Chances are you're not struggling enough. You're not taking on them enough difficulty, and you're not taking on enough responsibility. You actually have to make things more difficult and challenging for yourself. That's how you get unstuck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've got to get into the contest of life, I think is the key thing is you've got to be in it and you've got to look at it that life is a contest. I think that's one that the Stoics really imprinted upon me is.
Speaker 2: Yes, and the competitions with yourself.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and he said the Olympic Games are upon us. There is no time to waste, right, which is that sense of urgency Again? The thing that are one of the things that really landed for me in that what advice would I give myself or my younger self, or would I give or have I given my kids?
Speaker 3: Is to give more than you take.
Speaker 1: And from that I mean from an energy perspective, from a relationship perspective, and any group that you're in is to have the attitude to give more than you take, so to be a positive ball of energy. Because as I think about this, we're all just little little blots of energy.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: If you're in a zoom out over your town and my time, you see all of these little dots of energy and they're just bumping into each other, right, And some of them they're like, I have this kind of vision of some of them are colored red and they're angry, and they're bouncing off all these other little balls and they're making them turn more red. And that's having a knock on effect. Right. And when you think about this, it's like you fucking you impact the energy of everybody that you interact with through your energy. So my thing with my kids is really just you need to give more than you take and not go into relationships or not go into workplaces or whatever it is thinking that I want to take more than I give. If we can flip out of rhynd, I think that is one of the keys to a life of flourishing. Not an easy life, but a life of flourishing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when I was in the hospital, I had my girlfriend bring my little speaker and so I play music. And when the people would come in to clean the room, I would ask them what's your favorite music and they would tell me, or I would just say do you like this, and I'd turn it up. But when the people would come and clean a room, I'd turn the music up really loud, you know, and kind of you know, dance around with them. Yes, And I remember thinking, like, imagine having the job of cleaning hospital rooms of people that are literally dying, Like that's a shitty job. And I remember thinking like, if I can, you know, give this woman, you know, ten minutes of joy. And it worked and it made me feel better because I could see how happy they were, you know. And by the end of the month I was there, They're like, oh, I love coming to clear in your room, doctor Beacham, because you're gonna play good music. We're gonna have fun. I said, yeah, why not, you know. And you know, I don't know how that came to me, but you know, I'm glad that it did. But I mean, it's not like a difficult thing, you know. I mean it's just doing a hundred of those little things to yourself and to other people. Yes, you know again, the you know, the walk Away lesson for me is that the joy of life is is doing the simple things with grace. Like I walk every day now, for I walk an hour in the morning, I walk an hour in the afternoon, and I look forward to it and it's you know, going for a walk is such a simple thing, but I get such joy out of it, you know, or you know, bumping into people and saying hey to them. I mean, you know, that's.
Speaker 1: It, Yes, And I see to that point. The thing that change. One of the things that changed and when I got is I stopped walking with my EarPods. And because I used to go out and take my dogs out for a walk every.
Speaker 3: Morning and every evening when I'm around.
Speaker 1: And I like to do it at sunset, but sunrise and sunset. But I used to listen to podcasts because I'm thinking, I'll kill two birds with one stone here. And I took my earbuds out and just have forced myself to be present, to listen to the birds in the morning, to look at the chains, and like to see my dogs and having such a great time sniffing around.
Speaker 3: It's those little moments, isn't it.
Speaker 1: And if we can and that's I guess the essence of what the Buddhist talks about with mindfulness. It's not sitting fucking cross legged in a lotus pose. It's actually just being fully engaged in life in all that it has to offer, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And there's a lot that life offers us and we miss it, you know, because we're caught up in something else. Usually ourselves are concerned for ourselves. You know, what would your life look like if you were free from concern about how you were doing? You know, what would happened to you if you didn't think about yourself much anymore? You thought about other people or other things. The answer is your your quality of life would go up significantly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, Stan, this has been as usual for the third time, and so much good shit to think about. And I mean you are the epitome of the stoic play. You're giving rule as well. So I tip my hat to you, sir. And what's what's one thing that you are very much looking forward to now that you've had that second chance from the universe.
Speaker 2: Watching my kids and my grandchild grow up and just seeing you know, what they become, that's still the exciting. And watch another I mean, you know, where I live, there's kids around, and I love I love watch and see how they change, you know, and just you know, just the day to day growth, you know, or year to year growth that you see with kids. I just think it's amazing. And so that's, you know, I think that's probably the thing that I'm most interested and curious about what's going to happen. Is you know, how are these people that I know and I've watched them from day one? And you know how you know when they're full grown adults, what does that look like? I think that's the thing I'm most interested in. And then then the other thing is is I get I'm sixty three now, so I don't know. I lived twenty more years. I don't know what it is. But you know, how how do I age? Do I age gracefully? You know? Do I? You know, I'm just kind of curious to see kind of what's next, because there's going to be a next thing and I'm really curious to see what that is and how I respond to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I love that the curiosity be. And actually, what's written on my bathroom murror right now is growing old is a privilege tonight.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I like that growing old as a privilege of nine too many I'll remember that, Paul, Thank you for that one.
Speaker 3: Very cool. I think you need to write a book on this, really.
Speaker 1: I think there's I think there's another book of of what you learned, because you've just you've got not only amazing insights that you've amassed over your years.
Speaker 3: But but you have.
Speaker 1: Just a way of fucking delivering those insights with impact. And I often say the best thing that anybody ever said on my podcast was you saying, in order to optimize your life, you need to take on as much challenges and responsibility as you can tolerate, and every now and then you need to walk right to the edge of yourself and stir into the abyss like that, look over the edge, look over the edge, take.
Speaker 2: On to the edge, don't jump, just look over.
Speaker 1: And me and you have had the benefit of actually really looking into the abyss now and walking back and taking on the lessons, so that actually in retrospect, and I know you're the same because you said at the start, is actually a privilege to be able to really stir into the abyss and to walk back.
Speaker 2: And that be and not be eternally wounded by m Yeah, yes, very true, Very cool.
Speaker 3: Doctor Stanley Beacham. You are frigging awesome.
Speaker 1: So work can people go to find more about you and and get your awesome book Elite Minds, which they have to get, and and also whether they'll be able to find your next book when you've managed to write it.
Speaker 2: Well, you buy everything on Amazon now right, so the book you can that's the best play to get it is Amazon. And then I have a website, doctor Standbeacham dot com and you can track me down that way or on LinkedIn. I'm on LinkedIn.
Speaker 1: Yeah cool, excellent, Thanks Stan, I will thank you forward to seeing you again.
Speaker 3: Cheers mate.
Speaker 2: Okay,