Speaker 1: Before we begin. This episode has some coarse language, mostly because of me from The Australian. This is the weekend edition of The Front. I'm Claire Harvey. Three weeks ago, our chief sportswriter slash Sex and the City megafan Jess Halleran joined me for an episode we called.
Speaker 2: Why is and just like that? So Terrible?
Speaker 1: One week later, show creator Michael Patrick King took to Instagram announcing that while writing the final episode of season three, it became clear to him that this might be a wonderful place to stop. I call bulldust and we just had to get Jess back in for some answers to the biggest questions of our time? Who really killed this show? When did Carrie become so horrible? How could they think the main character ending up a lonely widow was a satisfying ending?
Speaker 3: The big Christian is who gave Miranda a lobotomy?
Speaker 2: Like and just like that and just like that is over?
Speaker 1: So what are we going to hate watch now? Michael Patrick King's statement needs a serious unpacking. We brought our producer Jasper leik In to read Michael Patrick King's statement.
Speaker 4: Okay, and just like that The ongoing storytelling of the Sex and the City universe is coming to an end. While I was writing the last episode of And just like that season three, it became clear to me that this might be a wonderful place to stop. Along with Sarah Jessica Parker, Casey Bloyse, and Sarah Aubrey, we decided to end the popular series this year just Remember the Popular Series bit with a two part finale and extended the original series order from ten episodes to twelve.
Speaker 5: SJ.
Speaker 4: I held off announcing the news until now because we didn't want the word final to overshadow the fun of watching the season. It's with great gratitude. We thank all the viewers who have let these characters into their homes and their hearts over these many years.
Speaker 5: Michael Patrick King.
Speaker 4: So I've grabbed a few responses to that post from Instagram. The first one is from g SAG Popular Series four question marks, OMG, the delusion. Sex and the City was a popular series and this is a shadow of that series.
Speaker 5: It's the generic brand.
Speaker 4: It sucked and it only became popular because people will hate watching it so they can talk about it on their podcasts.
Speaker 2: So true, so true.
Speaker 1: This is a great contribution to debate it's it spawned a whole cottage industry of people talking about that terrible, including us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean we are living proof of g SAgs wisdom right now. Next one is from Justin Dipierro. We don't want it to and we want it to be better.
Speaker 2: Oh, I truly agree. I would keep watching it.
Speaker 3: I suspect that this came to quite a sharp end. The penultimate episode was only twenty eight minutes, like, that doesn't make sense to me. And also a lot of that was taken up via a weird pis sing and Thanksgiving hot so you think it's actually a mercy killing someone at HBO has gone absolutely just so much money has been spent. The production values on these just enormous, which is why it's so easy to hate watch because it's so beautiful.
Speaker 1: Right, it has been a flop as well, you know, in terms of numbers. It has not delivered the business that HBO was hoping.
Speaker 3: No, you can't invest in the story. I am not moved. Like when you watch Sex in the City, you would be completely moved by an episode. You could be in tears, for example, whereas this I cannot There's too many new characters I'm not invested enough in. And then Carry's not the same. Rand is not the same, Charlotte's not the same. They're all like a shell of themselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah ways or not themselves. And there's no real drama.
Speaker 1: You know, nobody actually dies apart from a big who presumably they just didn't want to pay.
Speaker 3: And he also had the misconduct allegations too, so he's voluntarily canceled.
Speaker 2: What did he supposedly do.
Speaker 3: I think it was an allegation of sexual harassment.
Speaker 2: But that's very in character. They should have gone with that.
Speaker 1: In the first episode they describe him as the new Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: You know, yes, I think they needed to.
Speaker 1: Kill Harry, Charlotte's husband. He's a drop anyway, the cancer could have been terminal.
Speaker 2: Then they would have developed an actual storyline.
Speaker 1: Someone's kid could have moved to Africa instead of just becoming a you know, having a boyfriend who was a balat answer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: The plot twists are so low stakes that he just takes some lessons from the Days of our Lives or something where drama happens, and then people can react to that. It's probably hard to be a good actor when you're reacting to you can't get a pie order in?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then this novel about the Woman that's another Debbie downer.
Speaker 2: It really was. It's like every time she was typing about the woman, I was like, no, no more woman, no stop stop.
Speaker 1: Well it was better than the podcast that she had for shadyeas that's the people called in for advice about sex and stuff.
Speaker 5: Another comment, this one's from mister teddy Bear.
Speaker 2: Girl, is that you?
Speaker 5: That's my fin stup? Now? Can you just release a series only about Samantha in London?
Speaker 2: Actually enjoy what ab I call? Oh my god? Hire that mister Yeah, only crap. Mister teddy Bear knows what he's talking about.
Speaker 3: I feel like Kim Kacharll's got that in her.
Speaker 1: She would like, go sure, yeah. That's the other thing about Michael P. King saying I've decided to win this. There is no way he would have decided independently to win this show because he's never shown any ability to resist the money. That's the difference about Kim Cattrall. Right, she was like, there's no amount of money you can give me, I'm not going to be in this. So it's just completely out of character for him. To voluntarily stopped stop the party.
Speaker 5: That's a good segue to the next one from Daniel R. Clark.
Speaker 4: MPK has blood on his hands for this. He is ultimately accountable for the poor quality of the writing and disjointed plot lines. Yes, he was brilliant with SATC, but I couldn't help. But wonder if someone else run the show it would have been better.
Speaker 5: Wow, blood on his hands.
Speaker 2: That's a little bit much.
Speaker 3: It's pretty heavy, but if you go and listen to their podcast you can see they live in a little echo chamber where everything they do is spot on.
Speaker 5: One of my favorite scenes of all time, carrying Miranda in the kitchen.
Speaker 2: I've just been weeding the entire party. Can we talk the hour?
Speaker 1: The Sex and the City premise is that even though it's difficult, the main character is still believed in love and they still wanted to end up with someone, And just like that has ended with Carrie finding peace in being by herself, dumping a perfectly good boyfriend in Aiden, having a fling with this very unattractive English doorg who lives downstairs, and then you know, not surprise, getting dumped by him. And then it's like, well, why doesn't the world understand that it's okay for me to be alone. Well, I don't want to sound like a trad wife here. It actually isn't the point of life to ultimately end up with someone who loves you and have a fulfilling relationship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but is it a statement that it is okay in this day and age to be by yourself, that your friends are your family and you don't need somebody else to build you up. And maybe it is the ultimate feminist statement that women can do it all by themselves and you can be okay alone. But for me, everybody wanted to end up with somebody like this is why we watch TV. We want the happy ending. I have to quit thinking maybe a man and start accepting.
Speaker 2: Maybe just me. Full stop.
Speaker 1: You are so fabulous.
Speaker 2: Oh well that was never in question.
Speaker 1: She doesn't make being alone look that fabulous. She's hanging around in this apartment or house by herself. She doesn't seem to be doing things that actually make her happy, and she doesn't seem happy. She's turned into a complete bitch. She's really depressed.
Speaker 2: It is a downer.
Speaker 3: The only thing that leaves you up are the clothes.
Speaker 2: You're like, what's she.
Speaker 3: Wearing, and then if you compare her to Sex and the City carry, this is a completely different person. Of course, people change in life, right, but I would say most of these characters have had a radical personality overhaul.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: The great thing about Carrie was her laugh, her smile. She was so infectious and so lighthearted all the time. Even when things were difficult, she could pull herself out of it.
Speaker 2: Do you know when I first moved to New York and I was totally broke, sometimes I would buy Vogue instead of dinner. I just felt it fed me more.
Speaker 1: And just like that, the first episode was a funeral, and over three seasons we've kind of seen her pull herself out of the sadness a little bit, but she still.
Speaker 2: Seems very dark.
Speaker 1: Do you think they know that, the show creators, or is it a reflection of where Sarah Jessica Parker maybe has ended up that actually she's a bit more grumpy than she was when she was thirty five?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I've listened to a lot of the Writer's Ram podcasts Michael Patrick King, and he's cast of amazing talented writers.
Speaker 2: Look they're not They're not amazing talented writers.
Speaker 3: They're terrible, but there is still sparks of great writing through this, but you were so down on it and trying to think of.
Speaker 1: One shouldn't have sacked all those people and hied Lena Dunham.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the quality of the writing you can see, say in Seema and Adam's relationship. But the problem is we're not watching this for them. So even though you've got this sort of beautiful like side romance happening, we don't really care for them. I don't care.
Speaker 1: No, they haven't done good enough character development on those people. I think, like, we don't know anything about Seema's backstory, where did she grow up, how did she make her money, why is she single? And Adam's a gardener who just suddenly popped up and took his shirt off, and that's all they've done to establish him.
Speaker 2: As a character. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And Lisa Todd Wexley's dad died twice.
Speaker 1: So they introduce her as a character who's mourning her father. Yeah, and then three years later, Oh.
Speaker 2: Here's a great plot twist. Let's have her father die.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll have a funeral.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That is inexcusable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can sort of see where their heads are at, particularly Patrick King, who in one of the podcast episodes gets really excited about the fact there's a puppet featured in one of these. Yeah, and do you know how long it took to make that puppet?
Speaker 2: Please?
Speaker 3: Seven months? It took seven months. I could have made that for them. And the other thing that Michael Patrick King revealed that it costs so much money it was almost like an actor's wage.
Speaker 2: On the series. Well, this is what's happened.
Speaker 1: They've become so rich and privileged, not only the characters, but the actors and producers. I think that they've completely lost touch with what ordinary people think about. More of my chat with Jess after the break you said earlier you didn't think that, and just like that has tarnished the legacy of sex in the City. No, I'm interested in why not, because frankly, I really wondered about the legacy of Star Wars when I saw Judge O binks.
Speaker 2: It is possible to wreck your original creation. What comes next?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but I think these two they are completely different worlds. They stucked it up so badly that it actually doesn't resemble really anything of the original aside from the set.
Speaker 1: One of the people who's missing from and just like that is Darren Starr, who created the original Sex in the City. He was listed as the creator before that. He had created Beverly Hills nine O two one zero and Noah's Place, which were era defining shows in their time. He's not involved in d Just like that, he's off making Emily in Paris, which does seem to have connected with young people today in the way that the other shows did. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think Darren Starr is a key creative that is missing from this franchise. And so is pat Field. Like Patricia Field was the power behind Carries Close. All the main characters closed, I should say, And so having these two creatives missing from this show, I think it's cost them. But something else has gone wrong. I really feel like there's an opportunity here for a really curious investigative journalist to do a deep dive on why exactly I went wrong. We've got Heavily Thomas, Yeah, I think we should get Heaviier. He's had enough murders.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Who killed Sex and the City? Oh yeah, yeah. Since we last talked about it, it's been killed off. I think you are largely responsible for that.
Speaker 2: No, it's you I feel like it's you.
Speaker 1: So given that you were hate watching it, you admitted that you were hate watching it, you're glad to see it going.
Speaker 3: No, of course not. It's like something you can put on in the background and fall asleep or.
Speaker 2: Phone or and put.
Speaker 3: Your head up every now and then go oh lista. Todd Wexley looks amazing. The only winner in all this is Kim Kittrell. After the second movie, she was like, it's over. It's done. Even though we've enjoyed hate watching it, she understood that it couldn't go on.
Speaker 2: What are we going to hate watch now? Emily in Paris? Emily in Paris is what it is?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 3: It's just silly. It's amazing, incredibly stupid. You know, you get to see Patricia Field's amazing work. But I don't know what we call I don't know, maybe real Housewives.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who'll take it? Yeah.
Speaker 1: Jess Hallerin is The Australian's chief sports writer and she just won a LOGI for her amazing documentary about Tennis Clayer Yolana Dokitch. You can read Jess's work anytime at the Australian dot com dot au to hear more of Jess.
Speaker 2: Check out Head.
Speaker 1: Noise, an award winning podcast produced by US The Australian, available by searching Head Noise wherever you listen to podcasts. This episode of the Front was hosted by me Claire Harvey and produced by Jasper Leek, who edited the episode and also wrote our theme. Thanks for joining us on the Front this week. Our team also includes Kristin Amiot, Leat Sammaglu, Tiffany Dimack, Joshua Burton and Stephanie Coombs.