Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, we're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Doctyesmina, an incredible integrative GP, and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit v three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more. This past summer has been a really hot and humid one, and I've been training at a decent intensity, and I've lately been noticing how much I've.
Speaker 2: Been sweating, and I was thinking about it.
Speaker 1: I was thinking, Gosh, I wonder if I might be getting a little bit dehydrated and potentially not getting enough electrolytes. So I've been experimenting with a few different electrolyte brands and powders that you mix in with water and then some that come ready to go in a drink bottle. And I've also interestingly noticed quite a lot of my gym buddies are jumping on the electrolyte bandwagon as well. But I have to say I am a little bit conflicted about this. You know, Aussie's have such a bad track record when it comes to over consumption of salt, and salt contains sodium, which is a key electrolyte, so I was a little bit nervous about adding more salt into my diet and potentially doing more harm than good. It's kind of confusing which way to go this is healthy her with Amelia Phillips. You might have noticed quite a lot in the media about electrolytes at the moment. It's kind of a TikTok trend amongst millennials, with some really groovy and delicious tasting electrolyte powders springing.
Speaker 2: Up all over the place. But how do you work out.
Speaker 1: If it is a trend that you should be jumping on. Certainly the drinks taste really good, but does your body really need extra electrolyte support?
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: To help us answer this question, I am joined by clinical nutritionists and women's health advocate Jenna Lee mcinness. Thank you so much for joining me today.
Speaker 3: Such a pleasure to be here.
Speaker 2: Are you happy if I call you Jenna for today's chat?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? You can call me whatever you like. I don't really mind it.
Speaker 1: Wonderful, wonderful, all right, Jenna. Well, let's dive straight into it. It's a topic I'm really really fascinated about and super keen to get your expert opinion on. But I think before we really dive into that, we should be having electrolytes or more electrolytes supplementing with them. Can you maybe explain to us what electrolytes are and what their role is in our body?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 3: So, electrolytes, they are essential minerals, and they're called electrolytes because they have an electric charge, whether that's a positive or negative when they're dissolved in fluids. So these electric charges they signal our muscles, they signal our nerves and our bodies. They just would not function without them, So we're looking at sodium, potassium, chloride, calcium, and magnesium, and most women out there will really benefit just from taking magnesium alone for all their different health conditions, stress, estrogen modulation, and other things that are even related to the way that they're working out. But when we exercise a lot or we might get really sick, we actually lose these minerals through our sweat or we lose them through our vomit our diarrhere, so water alone will not replenish the salt.
Speaker 2: That we've lost.
Speaker 3: So electrolytes are necessary to keep your heart pumping normally and that helps to keep your energy levels up. They support your adrenal health, they maintain fluid balance and thus keep you hydrated. So without electrolytes, we actually wouldn't be able to benefit from any other nutrient in our body as well.
Speaker 1: Gosh, it's so interesting, and you know straightaway magnesium. I mean, we've all recently jumped on the magnesium bandwagon, and I'm constantly telling members in my program about how amazing you feel after having magnesium or supplementing with magnesium, and particularly how it is involved in over two hundred interactions in the body.
Speaker 2: So when you.
Speaker 1: Explain it like you just did, it really brings home how important some of these minerals are. So I guess whatever signs and symptoms of an imbalance or maybe a deficiency in our electrolytes, it.
Speaker 3: Can be a little bit complicated for some people. They actually present with the signs and symptoms of an overuse of electrolytes as they would with a deficiency. So what's important to know when these signs and symptoms are presented is what actually has been the activity leading up to feeling this way. And that's gonna be really obvious. Okay, Well, I was exercising or I was sweating profusely, so it makes sense that it wouldn't be an overuse but potentially a deficiency. And in that deficiency we often see really gnarly headaches. This can even turn into a migraine dizziness sometimes that's accompanied with some impaired vision. We're seeing a little bit of those what we call a floater in the peripheral vision. Heart palpitations first, dry mouth, leg cramping, that's probably the main one. A lot of people start to feel those cramps in their legs, and that's why I guess a lot of women in pregnancy will experience those leg cramps because it's really common to get an electrolyte imbalance in pregnancy.
Speaker 2: Yeah I got that.
Speaker 1: I got really bad leg cramps during all my four pregnancies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got them too. And when I say narally, I was punching mine out, not massaging, punching. That's when I found even going calcium and magnesium blend was supporting those leg cramps. So I didn't even do the.
Speaker 2: Whole five electrolytes.
Speaker 3: Maintaining fluid levels allows you to continue sweating, which cools the body. You lose your ability to sweat, and the body starts to overheat. This can cause heat exhaustion, This even cause heat stroke. And so the electrolytes, they're replenishing what's been lost from our kidneys in our sweat or however we've been losing those fluids. And if they're not replenished, we then get more serious issues. And that's actually low sodium and this can actually present with even more symptoms, which is nausea, vomiting again, the headache, lethargy, sometimes even a seizure.
Speaker 1: And I guess some of those symptoms you just spoke about at the end are very serious and a lot of us will be sitting there going wow, I don't have any of those, so I'm probably fine. But I often will say to my beautiful listeners and also my members that we're looking for.
Speaker 2: Optimal health here.
Speaker 1: So this is not just about preventing deficiencies, but what can we do to make sure that we're bridging any gaps and that we're really in an optimal state. And so that's I guess probably for today. I imagine most of my listeners, unless they've got an acute issue such as you know, they've had a big bout of gastro or something like that, I really want to physician this as if we want to be optimally healthy, we want to train hard, we want to function well, we want to have good sleep and a clear mind. That's kind of the goal. And the question is will electrolytes and supplementing with.
Speaker 2: Electrolytes help with that.
Speaker 1: So before we get onto that, let me ask you about food sources of electrolytes. And it's a great one for my listeners to think about, Well, these foods you're about to talk about now, Jenna, how much of these are we getting on a regular basis in our diet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's interesting that you did mention gastro there, because even as a parent, that's typically when you go through the biggest spouts of gastro in your life, when you've got small children.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. And it even just does the rounds, doesn't it.
Speaker 3: It does, it doesn't rounds. And even children in that sense can benefit from replunging their electrolytes because of their weight compared to their body surface. You know, there's an imbalance there, so they need to replenish their salts. Better foods absolutely an excellent source of getting electrolytes. And if we're looking at our diet as a whole, that's always the most important thing for achieving optimal health, not just what.
Speaker 2: Did you have on Friday? What did you have for the entire week?
Speaker 3: In really approaching it with that eighty twenty approach of eighty percent of the time, actually I'm eating whole foods, and through those whole foods, I'm getting exactly what my body needs. So if you're looking at sodium for the first electrolyte, we'd be looking at foods that not just from our salt shaker, but misso, sun dried tomatoes if they've been cured with salt, beef, jerky, pork rines, my favorite parmesan cheese. Another few little good ones in their olives, pickles, and other lack permented foods like your sour kraut, your kimchi. These are really good concentrated sources of sodium. And when we hear of saur kraut and kim chi, we expected, well, maybe I need to start fermenting. But you can actually just pick these up from woolies and coals quite easily. And you got calcium which is helping to regulate your blood clonting factors, your heart rhythm, and how blood vessels dilate and contract.
Speaker 2: You can get that.
Speaker 3: Through our ferm tofu dairy products and some plant based milks. So we want to see on the back of the ingredients that it has been fortified with calcium. Not all plant based milks are treated equally for that.
Speaker 2: Magnesium.
Speaker 3: Back to magnesium, very very very important electrolyte which helps many enzymes function in our body, and it's found in foods that contain fiber, including leafy greens, beans, nuts, whole grains, and the beauty of having a magnesium rich diet is you're going to be upping a potassium at the same time. You know, nature never gets it wrong. Hand in hand, most of your magnesium foods are also potassium rich foods. So even foods like sweet potato, avocado, oranges, spinach, lentils, almonds, yogurt to name a few.
Speaker 2: Coconut water as well.
Speaker 1: I always remember coconut water can be a great source of potassium too.
Speaker 3: Cocona water is a really good source of potassium. The issue for using that after exercise though, is it doesn't contain the sodium, and the sodium is one that is the most in.
Speaker 2: A high Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember working with athletes and discovering that that.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, you wouldn't be.
Speaker 1: Great to say, oh, this is you know, Nature's perfect electrolyte, but it's not balanced. So it actually can have an opposite effect because then you're getting that imbalance between sodium and potassium.
Speaker 3: But in the same breath. I think a lot of people are lacking potassium in their diet. So if the thinking maybe my diet isn't rich enough in whole foods and having the coconut water every few days could be really beneficial.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Okay, good, So did you have some other foods or is that pretty much because you've listed so many.
Speaker 3: Go eat tofu, goat to malmons, goat some spinach.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So basically, if you've got a really healthy, varied, whole food diet, you'll be getting a lot of those electrolytes through your diet naturally as well. But look, there has been this burst of electrolyte.
Speaker 2: Supplements on the market.
Speaker 1: I'm trialing one at the moment, and Assie trial quite a few, but the one I'm trialing at the moment is called Sodi and it's really really yummy. It's delicious. I've actually I'm drinking right now the passion fruit, salty passion fruit.
Speaker 2: It's cold.
Speaker 1: And then they've got a citri one as well. They're great because I'm drinking more water or more fluid because it tastes so good. But it can be confusing to know, you know, should I be having one?
Speaker 2: Which one should I be having?
Speaker 1: I guess let's start with who do you think could really benefit the most from electrolyte supplements, Like, what's the list of people?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's definitely been a boom in the market over the past I didn't say five years with electrolyte supplements. And this is definitely something I've enjoyed seeing clinic because I find I work with a lot of women who present I'm so dizzy.
Speaker 2: I actually was so dizzy.
Speaker 3: I took myself to ED and they're like, oh, maybe just drink some more water for me. I'm like, well, hang on, it could be a water thing. But are you also getting enough salt in the diet or are you running on fumes like a lot of mothers do. SODI it is a great choice. The salt that they use is sauced here in Australia. But also, like you said, they taste really really good personally. I really like the pineapple and the raspberry. They're my absolute favorite. But they also use a magnesium glucinate, which is really ideal for treating low blood magnesium. So anyone experiencing high blood pressure. Now athletes definitely benefit from using supplements such as SODI, which is quite evident because these are the people who have really sweaty pursuits. But I also find that we need to consider people who are losing body fluids other ways. For instance, women who experience hypomesis gravidara or HG which is Narali morning sickness if you haven't heard of it before, when you're pretty much vomiting all day long through most of the pregnancy, if not the entire pregnancy. That was me both pregnancies, and I don't think I could have survived if I didn't take an electrolyte replacement throughout those pregnancies. It's so hard to get hydrated when you're vomiting that much. Definitely, anyone living or just going to visiting a humid and hot climate. Maybe they're going to Bali or Thailand is going on a holiday, and to be honest, different climates can really affect how you feel regulated in your body. And maybe you're getting a headache really easily from that heat and helping just to balance your fluid, adding a little bit of salt. But anyone, maybe they're doing some gardening on a hot day, they're doing some hot yogat and sweating a lot, using a sauna, doing hot pilarates. That's also a thing now, isn't it not just hot yoga hot pilates, So anything that's really generating a lot of sweat, whether it's over sixty seventy five minutes. I'm fine, they're not really going to benefit from taking a supplement such as SODI. But also we can't rule out again the family gastro or getting really unwell and just losing body fluids from that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So basically, if you're a pretty intense exerciser and you're training at a high level, whether it be for a long duration or for high intensity, you're noticing you're sweating more than normal because you're in a hot climate, or because you have been doing extra work, or like you say, you could be doing some of that, you know, hot therapy, be it through a class or through a sauna. So why does it go hand in hand with fluid loss? Is it always this thing that if you're losing fluid and at risk of dehydration, then you're losing those electrolytes.
Speaker 2: That's why the two kind of go in hand.
Speaker 3: I think we can't expect it to go absolutely hand in hand because every person that's gender, age, weight, be am I there's a few considerations they're pregnant versus non pregnant, breastfeeding vesus not breastfeeding, or going to lose their electrolytes differently. So Some people sweat profusely. Some people don't sweat at all. You go to a seventy five minute CrossFit class and maybe you're there pouring and sweat by the person next to you is just dripping a little bit, you know. So maybe they don't actually need that electrolyte, but you would. So I think it comes down to the level of sweat for that person. If you're just having a day that where you quite said entry and maybe you did go for a gentle walk, I wouldn't say that gentle walk was necessary to add electrolytes to your diet that day outside of what you're eating.
Speaker 1: Now, this is such an easy one for me because in summer, I have to wash my gym clothes absolutely after every workout. I get home from the gym and I peel them off me. They're heavy, they're saturated. There's no way I can get away with wearing them the next day. But in winter, I'll well, you know, take it off, give it a quick sniff. Oh, you'll be right for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: I know I might be giving too much away here, but.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking about this now and I'm thinking, wow, that, like it really is chalk and cheese. How much more I sweat in summer versus winter, and yet I don't really change the amount of fluids that I drink in summer. And I've been really knacked lately. So okay, good, I'm drawing some connections there. But here's the catch, Jenner, and this is what I really want.
Speaker 2: To chat to you about and get to the bottom of.
Speaker 1: It. Can be really confusing for us because one of the main electrolytes, sodium, we consume in abundance or a Western diety in general. In fact, Ozzie's consume way too much sodium or salt, around nine grams a day. Yet the RDI, the recommended daily intake is six grams, and yet we're not consuming enough of some of the other electrolytes, such as potassium and magnesium.
Speaker 2: So one thing I'm.
Speaker 1: Not nervous about is recommending electrolytes to somebody. One that I'm taking at the moment has a thousand milligrams of sodium in it, and I think our RDI, I think it's six thousand milligrams, right, So it's like one six in one drink. And so my question to you is how do we strike that balance and know which side of the fence we sit on.
Speaker 3: I think it's a little bit of reiteration here too that if you're going to be putting an extra one thousand milligrams of sodium back into your diet that day, what warranted that? Right Again, if you're just going for that gentle walk, you didn't need to. But it's important that we consume salt in the context of a whole food diet regardless, and this way the sodium is balanced with other complementary nutrients like the potassium, as well as sufficient fluid intake. But I recommend that we switched to unrefined sea salt and get the additional trace elements that we typeically wouldn't find in a table salt as well. So we're looking at also those foods we spoke about earlier, the parmesan cheese, the olivement. These are going to be foods that are quite in our diet. So if we're branching outside of that and we're adding ultra processed foods into our diet, which is really typical in the standard Australian diet, the sad we're seeing high levels of sodium that would definitely, like say, exceed the six grams up to nine grams per day. There has to be a balance at these electrolytes. They do work hand in hand. So if we're having an ultra process foods in our diet, how are we mitigating that? Do we have that coconut water? Are we actually going? Hang on, I'm having too many refined foods, peeling that back a little bit. But the issue is we cannot treat anything in health as a one size fits all because some people in particular demographics or this isn't achievable from have fresh fruit and veggies every single day. So it's about going, if I can't do this every day, where am I week? Can I do this? Where can I reduce ultra processed foods because that is where these extra extra sodiums are coming from, and very little amounts of potassium, very little amounts of magnesium. Instead of you know, having this meal that I typically would go to for lunch, I'm going to have something a bit more basic, some green vegetables with some protein and some whole grains. And the more we work that into the diet, we're going to see that balance and that nine grams are going to come down drastically, and so if we can bring the nine grams down, them are laughing. If we can add more veggies, in more fruits, then we're going to be getting in more of those potassiums and magnesiums. But it has to be a work in progress and we have to be really mindful of that. That can't just go switch your diet tomorrow, but you can start making baby steps to get that extra fruit and veggies, extra electrolytes through the diet, and that can even make up about twenty percent of our hydration as well through our foods.
Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, well, you're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three point sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with dot Diasmina, an incredible integrative GP and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted. What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit V three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more. It's funny because a lot of us, when we think of consuming too much salt, we think about table salt, and we think about, you know, an auntie or an uncle with their meat and three vege and just dumping all this table salt on and we would assume that that's where that extra abundance comes from. But I remember eating a I think it was a Ratten Institute report showed that eighty percent of our excess sodium intake comes from packaged foods. Things like wheatbix, for example, has a lot of sodium in it unless you get the salt reduced kind you.
Speaker 2: Might we're in Australia, Oh I know, I know, I know.
Speaker 1: And even things like say a pisata, so a tomato sauce bace that you either use in your pasta or you might use it on your pizza base. A pisata compared to tinned tomatoes, for example, has about five times more sodium in it. So I guess if you're sitting here listening in you're using a lot of jar or packet foods in your diet. Maybe you're someone that loves those jar sauces for example, whether it's curries or pasta sauces and things like that. Just take a look at the sodium content. But you would be one of those people that's probably unknowingly getting that, you know, eighty percent extra sodium coming from.
Speaker 2: Those packaged foods. So I've rattled off a couple.
Speaker 1: Were there any that you want to mark as kind of red flags for high sodium content?
Speaker 3: Even the other day, I was I wanted to make the kids little bacon and egg kishas to take to daycare because, as you know, you're always trying to think of something new to make feed kids will actually eat. It's like, I have to see what bacon, but the bacon selection is here at coals on my way home from work. Oh my gosh, they're sodium.
Speaker 2: In the bacon. Up It's like, wow, I'm just a found one.
Speaker 3: That said low sodium. But of course I wasn't pleased with the final result. But I have seen even in the clinical setting, how many people eat bacon as a very often food as opposed to sometimes food means a really high level of sodium.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Deli meats, so your ham, salami, they're all going to be super super high in salt. Obviously, Chips too, pretzels, popcorn.
Speaker 3: People are always craving something really salty, so they go for the crunchy things, and it's like you're craving the crunch, you're craving the salt.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, because pick up a carrot, you'll get lovely crunch with the carrot. Okay, So that's a really good differentiator for us. So if we're sitting here going, oh, actually some of those high sodium jard or packaged foods that Amelia in general are just talking about, I have a lot of those in my diet. Well, you might be someone that is erring on that higher sodium intake. And so unless you're a really heavy sweater and an exerciser, then you might want to be careful about supplementing with electrolytes. But say you're the opposite, and say you're sitting here and you're going, you know what, I have a super clean diet. Most of my foods are whole foods and I don't think I'm getting a lot, and I am a regular exerciser and I'm somewhere hot, then yes, you are much more of a candidate for an electrolyte supplement.
Speaker 2: Would you agree with that analogy? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And I think if you do have a high level of sodium in your diet, you'll be thirstier anyway, because again, you need to always be finding that balance between your hydration and your electrote intake. So that's something to be mindful of. Am I am I always thirsty? Am I actually hydrated? What's happening here? Is it just a constant absorption of sodium in my system?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a really good point. It's funny.
Speaker 1: I pretty much have to get up every night to pee once.
Speaker 2: But on the weekends I'll often partake. I love popcorn. I just, you know, love it as a treat.
Speaker 3: If I have popcorn the next I actually feel like I've got to hangover. Oh really, it's really bizarre, So I have to avoid it.
Speaker 2: And my partner loves it, so I do. Guess is that right?
Speaker 1: I just love it because it's a whole food in the sense that you know, it's a piece of corn. That's been popped as opposed to chips or something else that's been highly manufactured and highly processed.
Speaker 2: That's why I love it as my kind of chip solution.
Speaker 1: But interestingly, on the nights that I'll hoe into a massive bowl of popcorn, I don't get up to pea that night.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's retention.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly, because I've consumed so much sodium that my body is like, hang on to that fluid, honey, hang on to it.
Speaker 3: It's a really good pre race food popcorn exactly.
Speaker 1: So the other area I just wanted to touch on is the link between blood pressure and salt intake, because one of the biggest risks of those people that are consuming over consumption of salt. You know, we eat on average, as we said, about nine grams a day when the RDI is six.
Speaker 2: Can you explain.
Speaker 1: Why salt and elevated salt intake will increase our blood pressure.
Speaker 3: So there are several mechanistical explanations for the association between our sodium intake and our blood pressure, and that comes down to the enhanced reabsorption and the retention of filtered sodium through our renal tubule. So what our kidneys are doing essentially, So our heart's job is to pump the blood to filter it is the kidney's. So the kidneys are filtering all the fluids in the body. And if we do have a high sodium diet and that sodium is getting refiltered through the body, this is then being picked up in our arteries. There's really small arteries, the arterials, and there's a hormone there that says, okay, there's a high level of sodium here. It's going back through the system, and what starts to happen is it starts to constrict. And when our arteries are constricting, this is going to lead to a high blood pressure. And so if we have a really good, good everyone again everything's different, everything's really individual. But if we do have a good renal system, so our kidneys are working optimally, we actually should see that they're excreting sodium really efficiently and causing no issues. But unfortunately this isn't the case for some people. Some people they have what we call a salt sensitivity, and that makes up for about twenty five percent of the population, and that to certain subcategories like ethnic backgrounds. So we know that African Americans have been studied and it's shown that they actually do have AsSalt sensitivity for the most part. So we can't treat every individual the same that expecting that the high the sodium in their diet is going to result in the same discourse. Often sult it really does get a bad rap because of this, but it is vital for the normal function of our body, and the sodium and the chloride that it contains the key electrolyte balance to keep ourselves talking to one another. So they're helping to maintain the correct plasma lume in our bloodstream, which helps to regulate the fluid levels, and by this it's facilitating neural signaling.
Speaker 2: So if you want to be able to.
Speaker 3: Think straight or even contract a muscle, then you need to have that perfect balance of the sodium with the chloride in your system as well as the water. So you got to think about those times that perhaps you had to have an ivy fluidt hospital. They don't just put you in the bed and put distilled water into your system. It's typically a saline which is a salt water because the body does require sodium alongside fluids to be able to rehydrate. There's so many things I could jump into here what salt needs if, for instance, even with our stomach acid levels, and how this is going to benefit our health because it kills off pathogenic bacteria inside the stomach as well. So again I think, yes, we do have the evidence that that's suggestive that salt can increase blood pressure.
Speaker 2: But within that we.
Speaker 3: Look at the people who do have a salt sensitivity and how different hormones, enzymes, and proteins are functioning within their system to have that end result.
Speaker 1: And I guess for a lot of people who do have high blood pressure, let's look at the other factors that are contributing to that as well. So let's look at your diet to start with, and I use somebody that sits in that nine grams a day range or higher. I use somebody that is carrying extra body fat, because those things alone are going to help drive up blood pressure. I do know, though, any heart healthy meal plan that is out there and that is designed to lower blood pressure will be a low sodium meal plan.
Speaker 2: And I think that's important for people to.
Speaker 1: Know that if you have high blood pressure or somebody you know has high blood pressure, usually recognizing your sodium intake and understanding whether you are over consuming, either knowingly or unknowingly, I think is a key factor.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't you agree?
Speaker 3: I agree? And I also think that it's really important for people to recognize that if you have a high fasted blood glucose, so your body is having a hard time tolerating carbohydrates, or you're at risk of pre diabetes, or even just before that, a metabolics syndrome, that this in itself, even a higher fasting blood glucose towards the end of the range there we're looking at, Wow, this is actually going to be quite problematic for the cardiovascular system and the overall metabolic health. So one of those markers that we would be looking at for someone who's having issues with maybe dizziness or feeling thirsty, or the time, these headaches, these other symptoms we went through earlier. I'm also interested to know do you have a high blood glucose reading, because if you do, this is also going to impact everything that's going on for you, not just the salt that's in your.
Speaker 2: Diet, but the glucose.
Speaker 3: What is the sugar and are you having an oultraprocessed food diet that we also know has a lot of added sugar, not just added salt.
Speaker 1: Yeap, And look, it really does come back to that question of how much process food is creeping into my diet. Well, look, Jenny, you've opened our eyes and it's never just a simple yes or no answer when we're trying to work out what our own.
Speaker 2: Unique body needs.
Speaker 1: I think if we want to sum it up a little bit, what I'm hearing and tell me correct me if I'm wrong is basically, if you are someone who sweats a lot, who is under risk of getting dehydrated for whatever reason, who is exposed to heat, and who has a very healthy diet overall, you might be somebody that could benefit from supplementing with electrolytes, and particularly on the days when you're exercising or sweating a lot. If you are somebody who maybe has high blood pressure, who has an ultra.
Speaker 2: Processed food heavy diet.
Speaker 1: And potentially has some signs of metabolic inflexibility such as a high fuss in glucose or some pre diabetes insulin resistance, and you're not really exercising at a high intensity or in that particularly hot climate, then maybe supplementing with electrolytes is not so beneficial for you.
Speaker 2: Is that a bit of a summary that you would agree with?
Speaker 3: I do agree, and I think it's just important to also note that if there's any kidney issues, that this is a something you'd need to speak with your healthcare provider with as well.
Speaker 1: Yes, very very good point. Absolutely very good point. All right, So I guess to wrap up, is there any final parting advice you would have for somebody who is trying to make that decision about whether they should go out and.
Speaker 2: Jump on this electrolyte bandwagon.
Speaker 3: One thing I always say to my clients is some supplements are just good to have in your own personal dispensary for when you need it. So maybe you don't have it every day, but you have it on hand. And having a quality electrolyte supplement is one of these handy things to have in the house. I always have one in my handbag, so you never really know when you're going to have a sweaty time at yoga or the gym, or the kids.
Speaker 2: Are getting sick.
Speaker 3: I think it's one of those things that's actually really good to have on your person. Doesn't mean you have to take it every day, but it is good to have.
Speaker 1: Wonderful Jeneleene mckinness very sage sound advice. Thank you so much, Thank you. Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, we're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with doctor Asmina, an incredible integrative GP and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit v three sixty dot com help or check out the show notes for more