Speaker 1: From the Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Wednesday, March eighteen, twenty twenty six. Don't subsidize petrol or inflation will take off again. That's the warning to government from Reserve Bank Governor Michelle Bullock. It's d day for Carl Sanderlands. Can the controversial radio host keep his gig despite breaking up with his co host Jackie O Henderson. Our subscribers will be the first to know, and you can join us right now at the Australian dot com dot au. Neil Perry is Australia's most acclaimed chef. His restaurants have withstood recessions, lockdowns and now even the ozempic craze. He's a passionate defender of the farmers, fishes and graziers who give Neil great food to cook for us. Neil's speaking today at the Australians Global Food Forum, but first I caught up with him at one of his beautiful restaurants. Our chat in just a moment. Neil Perry is one of Australia's most acclaimed restaurantors and we're sitting in one of his beautiful Venues Grand Tarino in Double Bay in Sydney, Neil I was last year when this was a beautiful Chinese restaurant. I absolutely loved it.
Speaker 2: I thought it was wonderful.
Speaker 1: And what I also thought was incredibly impressive was the way you changed it overnight when you realized it wasn't working. Tell me about the decision making there.
Speaker 2: You know, I knew it was a beautiful restaurant.
Speaker 3: I loved it in my family and I ate here every week, and I had so many great customers, but we didn't have enough, and it was important for me to kind of pivot very quickly rather than go down the road of losing money, losing money, losing money, and then by the time you get a chance to turn it around, you know you're really under.
Speaker 2: Incredible financial stress.
Speaker 3: So it wasn't a great year for me last year, but I kind of repositioned a lot of my ducks, and because there was lots of tarazo and lots of marble and lots of dark timber, it kind of almost felt more Italian than it did Chinese. So the turn to making it feel more Italian was simpler than trying to make it feel more Chinese, and that was part of the thinking behind it. So with all the amazing seafood and all the incredible beef and so forth that we do, you know, we just put an Italian lens over it. And Italian cooking, of course, is really just seasonal cooking of the moment. It's all about produce and it's all about the taste of what's great now. That's what great Italian cooking is about. And so it seemed like a better fit for us.
Speaker 1: There's so much dreaming in your business, and you see restaurateurs all the time who've had a dream to do something and maybe can't quite let that dream go when it's not working out the way they thought.
Speaker 2: How have you kind of.
Speaker 1: Controlled that, desiring yourself to bring a dream to life and not let go when it's not working.
Speaker 2: Well, Look, I think it's simple.
Speaker 3: It's like, if you have a dream and it's starting to turn into a nightmare, it's time to get a new dream. And it's as simple as that. I mean, I think it's deciding whether time will fix it. Because if you're like me, if you're in it for the long term, like we open a restaurant, we only think in terms of ten years twenty years, thirty years with that's how we think. You know, my relationship with Quannas is coming up thirty years next year. So everything I do, I think about the long term. So I kind of put that lens over it and go, all right, what's this looking like? You know, is it going to be able to get off the ground and is it just needing some love or is it need to pivot?
Speaker 2: And is there an opportunity to do that?
Speaker 3: And in this environment, just as I explained, you know, it looked more Italian than Chinese.
Speaker 2: I had at my dispose of some brilliant chefs.
Speaker 3: I love Italian cooking, you know, our produce scenario that we have it at Margaret and I always had it all my restaur with fishermen and farmers.
Speaker 2: Just lent itself to Italian.
Speaker 3: So it seemed to me that that was the right step and the right turn because my wife and I we just look at it and we never think how much more money can we make out of this restaurant.
Speaker 2: We you think about how much joy does this give us? Do we love doing it?
Speaker 3: And yes we make some money out of them, that's great, that's kind of the bonus really for us.
Speaker 2: And wearing it for the long term. So you know, we have great people.
Speaker 3: We're at the three hundred and fifty staff and I never thought I'd get myself back into that situation again, but I did. And there are lots and lots of young people with massive amounts of energy.
Speaker 2: I tell people, I'm kind of like a vampire.
Speaker 3: I live off the enthusiasm of all these brilliant young kids, and I drain that and bring it to myself and that keeps me kind of young and focused. And come down here and have my first coffee with my team at Cafe Margaret and then start to work through the precinct through the day.
Speaker 1: You've got a lot of people relying on you, not just the staff who work in the rest staurants, not just the chefs, but the suppliers out there in regional Australia who right now are dealing with diesel shortages, fuel prices going up razy, everything's tough. What are you seeing from your suppliers right now.
Speaker 3: Well, I have a great relationship with a great group of people, and of course they're doing it tough. You know, it's like they've just got some rains down in Victoria. It has been very dry. It's quite dry out in midwest New South Wales where we're getting some beautiful speckled park from Minnamura. You know, they're they're waiting for rain at the moment, so you know, and then it rains and it floods. Poor Ben Collis someone beautiful fishermen who does all our coral trout.
Speaker 2: He hasn't been able to get out for three and a half weeks. Now.
Speaker 3: I ring him every week because I want to talk to him about fish and I miss his fish, but mostly I want to make sure he's okay, because you know, you take livelihood away from these guys, and they're young guys, they're buying quota, they've got their boats, they've got their crew. You take livelihood away for three or four weeks, it really has a massive impact. So I'm always doing that, like what can I do, How can I help? How can my voice make difference? Or you know, at least support you and most chefs are going how much cheaper can I get this? And my view is if they're not in business, I'm not in business. So I have to look after those guys and make sure they're nurtured because they they they don't send us produce, they send us a gift. You know, these guys, we just have to really make sure that we're looking after them and keeping them viable. And I think it's going to be interesting because a lot of this pressure that's going to come on is going to be about the cost of producing food. I've been in businesses nineteen eighty three in my own restaurants in partnership, and I was there opening rock Pool and borrowing one point eight million dollars when we had the recession we had to have. We were paying eighteen percent interests, so you know, three hundred and sixty thousand dollars in interest the first year.
Speaker 2: It was a scramble to just survive.
Speaker 3: And then you know, the Asian financial crisis and then opening what poul bar and grew Sydney and Spice Temple in the middle of the financial crisis. We were opening Margaret the day that Gladys put us into lockdown in twenty twenty one for that long extended four month one when I was kind of out for about two weeks feeling sorry for myself, and then when hey, you better get yourself together because a lot of people rely on you, and you've got to make this work. So we did everything we possibly could for four months to kind of scrape and break even and keep the team together, and then you.
Speaker 2: Know, obviously opened.
Speaker 3: So you know, this is a really interesting time in the world where there's just some crazy stuff going on that could have a mega financial impact.
Speaker 1: Tax and monetary policy and things like lockdown are one way in which government can make life difficult for business people and for rest returs. The other is probably well meaning attempts to manage the environment.
Speaker 2: Sustainability.
Speaker 1: You really did go into bat for anthony. You're suppling WWA over the wa government span on the.
Speaker 2: Tell me about that.
Speaker 1: Why was that decision kind of roll headed as far as you're concerned.
Speaker 3: You know, there are a couple of species under threat, and these guys have their licenses counsel. But I would have thought to keep a commercial fishery going that was important for tourism, for locals, for the young fishermen themselves, that all of these things would be. That's a very acceptable loss on the biomass. He wasn't catching one and a half tons and getting seven tons. He was catching one hundred and forty of those fish over twelve months. There's evidence that with some of those species, you know, just six nautical miles further out, the federal government of increased trawl quotas. Now, that's the worst way of catching a fish. That's really unsustainable for oceans. It's really unsustainable for byproduct catch. It's really bad way of treating fish. It's a really terrible product that ends up in the market. And that kind of industrial fishering we should be saying no to. And this more bespoke handlining. You know, young guys who should be held up as really the best example of incredible sustainable fishermen.
Speaker 2: They're the guys who should be champion.
Speaker 1: Coming up what an acclaimed restroateur makes of the ozembic craze. Your career has coincided and you've been a big part of this as well, with a revolution in animal welfare. Kind of expectations from the customer as well as the farmer. Do you feel as though, you know, once free range eggs was kind of a niche, you know far out. Now it's absolutely mainstream and across the board. What do you see from customers? What are their expectations now?
Speaker 3: Well, I think they're overjoy when they see people who care about what's going on the plate, because providence is really everything. And you know, I've championed sort of farmers for a really long time, grass fed cattle as well as you know ration feeding the way that David Blackmore does it. It's all about great rumination, it's all about the animal being in really good shape.
Speaker 2: It's about not being antibiotics and growth hormones.
Speaker 3: And you know, the poster child of bad environmental food production is basically corn in America and corn fed beef, and that's a far cry from what our grass fed beef here is in Australia. And we know that it's incredibly sustainable. We know that it's a great way of creating a kilo of protein from the rain and the grass, and we know that the animals have a lower impact on the environment because they're in good shape. They're supposed to eat that, they ruminate properly, they're not belching and farting, and they're not getting sick. In most importantly, we talk a lot about longevity now, and I know I do because I'm getting old, and the most important thing when you get old is muscle mass, balance and flexibility. They're the three things if you can take into old age and keep your mind.
Speaker 2: Then you're going to be in really good shape. And we know that eating beef is really good for that. And we know that eating high quality grass fed beef.
Speaker 3: You know, once upon a time they were running around trying to get people to eat margarine. Like, I'm so happy that my father was a butcher and my three brothers were butchers, because butter is just me so close to my heart and extramrgin olivel and all the really good fats, and we now know a grass fed butter is so good for us, and we know that frying chips in tallow it's so much better than all the transpat and seed oils and all the things that were like fifteen years ago people were telling you this was really good for you.
Speaker 2: And luckily, I've always just been of.
Speaker 3: The mind that if you eat fresh produce, then you are going to be in good shape for the vast majority of your life. And most you're stricken down with some illness that comes from you.
Speaker 2: Know, the side.
Speaker 3: But if you're eating fresh, non processed foods, you know, for me, it's like probably my only great sinner is drinking too much beautiful wine. But for me because I do eat great food, and I work and I love this business, and I walk and exercise and stretch. You know, I'm able to maintain my ideal weight and I'm healthy, and I still get to eat whatever I want to a certain extent, but I'm not eating chips and chocolate and ice cream.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: If I do eat a hamburger, it's a beautiful one from Cafe Margaret, where it's ground be fresh every day, with a beautiful Australian bun, not something frozen and brought out of the States, which all these guys are using. And you know with you know, lettuce and tomato and a fantastic sauce that we make. So you know, I do eat those things, but I don't eat the worst version of them. So good health is really about about eating well and having a proper lifestyle that revolves around, you know, daily doing the right thing by your body and the environment.
Speaker 1: And just finally, we're in Sydney's beautiful Eastern suburbs, so I can't resist asking you about a zempic. Some of your customers are shrinking very visibly. Have you reduced your portion sizes or are you Are you just doing what you.
Speaker 3: Do no, No, we just do what we do and we've got lots of great customers who love eating. I mean when you see something like Demi Moore the other day, which I had to look at, and I just you know, I've got one of the world's most beautiful women. In all my life, I've just thought you were so bored, and I just see that, like the Zebek doesn't just waste fat, at waste muscle, and that's one of the really bad things. And you see somebody like almost biaffa and kind of like thin. But you also know how important that muscle mass is for you as you get older. And when I say muscle mass, so I mean having good, good tone muscle on your bones and eating well so that your bones are in good health as well. And you see what that stuff does and then you think, wow, what else is it doing to people's like liver and heart? And I think it's like the tobacco industry in twenty five years time, everybody would be doing the shit out of them.
Speaker 2: I mean they're already doing it now.
Speaker 3: So my view is most of the customers who come to us really love what we do and come to it, and my whole life I've just cooked in my restaurant what I love eating, and I've been really lucky because what I love to eat scenes that a lot of other people do love to eat as well. So I don't really see any reason to deviate from that. And I'd never want to walk into one of my restaurants and sit and look at the menu and think I wouldn't really like to eat that.
Speaker 2: And I sit in a lot of restaurants and I actually have that feeling.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I love what we do, and I'm very very blessed and lucky that other people love what we do too.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. It's a great photo.
Speaker 1: Neil Perry is speaking today at the Global Food Forum along with all the biggest names in food, agriculture, farming and more. Check it out live today at the Australian, dot com, dot Au and Skynews Australia.