Speaker 1: Oh good a tenants of bloody you project. It's bloody Patrick, bloody Tiff, bloody Harps. It's Friday afternoon, Thursday afternoon. I should say this is something of a recording anomaly. Wh're normally Friday am for this little episode, so I don't know how our brain's working. At five p emish on a Thursday. Tiff just swanned in from somewhere. We'll find out Patrick's drinking either cam Butcher or com Butcher. He's already been corrected by Tiff, Like first sentence out of her mouth was a correction, not hollow. It was just correcting him on his pronunciation. How's your cam Butcher? Patrick? Like coom Butcher?
Speaker 2: Because I'm scared more scared of Tiff than you Apple and lime kom Butcher is bloody great. I can still microbiomes doing what they do with my tummy?
Speaker 1: Are you do you take much notice of the whole gup by ome thing? And are you proactively trying to make yours healthier? Or do you just know the word? I just know the word, you just know the word?
Speaker 2: The other reason I bought it? Can I can I admit why I bought it? So I normally I go shopping on a Wednesday after I've finished my tai chi class. I teach tai chi, but I deliberately do an early class and then I've got an hour to shop. I go to Aldi, I go to Cohl's. But because we're in the middle of the holidays, can.
Speaker 1: I just say, Chips laughing hysterically with her face in her hands, I don't know what do you laughing at?
Speaker 3: Quick fact that who else would have a whole story around the breezeon of drinking a butcher?
Speaker 1: Well, if anyone can turn a thirty second anecdote into a five minute fucking monologue, you know it's not you or me.
Speaker 3: I'm on the edge in my seat though, please continue past.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll tell you what. The listeners are definitely not turning this off because this is not boring at all.
Speaker 2: So if I'll finish off the story, because I just have to. Now, when I shop online, I hit two buttons. I hit vegan, and then I hit on special, then my algments. That's the filter that I use first.
Speaker 1: And then I look for other stuff and then comes up mung beans and a banana, and he goes, oh, I think I'll go the banana this week.
Speaker 2: And pineapple and lime com Butcher for two for one. That's why I bought it. I don't normally say and answer your question, Grego, I don't do anything for my gut biome except if it happens to be on special once every term.
Speaker 1: Well, I think you have a pretty good diet, which is doing something for your gut biome. Tip for you, very I mean, I've never been, but I am. We all know I am now because I've just got myself there right in front of me, triple strength probiotics with ninety six billion cfu per capture whatever that means. And I got to say, I'm going to say my poo's a world class, world class since I've got on the probiotic training. Do you do you think about that a bit? Well, now, I mean I've cleared that up for everyone.
Speaker 2: Do you mean anybody else's podcasting segments? Because it always comes up in mind.
Speaker 1: I don't know why everyone's I don't know why everyone's so fucking offended by something that everyone on the planet does, which is shit.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not offended by it, but surely we can think of something else to thought about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can Butcher bottles and on special. And there's two buttons. I hit the vegan and the on special. I reckon, my poor story's got that covered. So just saying, I wonder if our one remaining listener wants to hear What's next? Tiff? How are you, Tiff? What have you been doing?
Speaker 3: I'm good. I just had some clients the Savo and scurried home in a hurry so I could make this because I didn't want to miss out on the trio.
Speaker 1: How many clients do you like to do? Now? If you're wondering what Tiff does, she's among other things, she trains a few people in the gym. What's your ideal number of Not too many? Not too few? And I know you don't do them every day, but like three a day, two a day, four a day.
Speaker 3: I've actually recently structured it so that I've got two big days and then on the other there's a couple of days where I just do a couple I don't often do afternoons. I've got two groups that I do on an afternoon together two times a week, and the rest of morning sessions.
Speaker 2: Some day is my big day.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I can have up to six or seven on a Sunday, which is a big day, all back to back, because now I've managed my energy and I've managed a bit of downtime a bit better with that, whereas it used to be kind of four people and I'm out of there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know what's good about having your own business, like you and me and Patrick for that point, is that you don't do the same thing all the time. It's like if I came to you and I went, hey, I've got fifteen school kids that I want trained three times a week at sekurta foreshore, could you do that? And you could go, sure, here's how it would work, here's how much it would like. It's not like you only do the same thing the same way. So when companies come to me and they go, what do you do? I go, I can do anything from a thirty minute keynote to a three day living program, and we can literally talk about anything from leadership and culture and high performance to know metacognition and theory of mind and why the boss is a prick. You know. It's like it's just, you know, you don't have to go and hop in this cookie cutter kind of you know thing where you do the same thing. I love that kind of freedom and that creativity to be able to to a point, make stuff up, make your job up. What do you want me to talk on? Like I had to talk not today, I was going to say today yesterday with a company and you know, like with a lot of companies, they don't exactly know what they want, Like they want you to talk at their conference, or to do a workshop, or to come in and do some coaching or consulting. But then you get on a call and you're like, Okay, exactly what do you want me to do and talk about? They're like, ah, not exactly sure, but these are the problems we've got. And then you can go, oh what about this and they go, yeah, let's do that. What about that? They're like, oh, that would be good too. Like there's a lot of I think that's the beauty of it, and saying with Hugh Patrick in your work where you kind of it's pretty diverse.
Speaker 2: Well, I just got asked this week to be the compare for a year half hoedown fundraiser for our farmers. Wow, I know nothing about boots scooting. I'm going to have to do some serious reasons.
Speaker 3: I used to do a bit of line dancing. When we kid with my mom, I had the greatest boots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, a good thing. Yeah, Drongo and the Crow, the Darling's Family Trust, Renegade Bootscooter's Duo Deluxe. That's whose headline.
Speaker 1: That's fucking great. I'm coming. I'm definitely coming to that. And I want to see you in cowboy boots and a hat, trying not to be gay up the front, trying to look like a cowboy.
Speaker 2: And the other gig that I landed today was a website for a male is squat.
Speaker 1: Hang on? Oh for a male escort?
Speaker 2: Yeah, to do a website for a male CampaignOn, so you can.
Speaker 1: Do it obviously doing a contrary with him.
Speaker 2: No, No, it's a male to female an.
Speaker 1: Did you just say the same thing.
Speaker 2: She did? Thanks, guys.
Speaker 1: Wow, did you go? Yeah, that'll be cash chack or cash check or Nature's credit card katching. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think we might end up doing a photo shoot for him as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course you will. He's like, I don't have the money for that. That's all right, it's free, come over. Wow. And then he's like, but why are you also nude? Oh that's just it's just how I don't know. It's a thing. Shwe By the way, did I tell you I teach ty g.
Speaker 2: It's de rated? We only host g rated websites on our server.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you though? We know? How how did this particular escort? I was reaching for the right word. How did he? How did he find you?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: You know how he found me? His accountant listens to the podcast.
Speaker 1: Oh that is so good.
Speaker 2: It's yp that's how he found me.
Speaker 1: Wow. Wow, I'm glad that we're building your career. Here you go, has that? I don't. Oh, I've got so many questions about male escorts that are probably not appropriate for now. Don't don't mail escort some males cord Firstly, is it legal?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Is it legal? Right? Well, I guess you can't have a website if it's illegal, can you.
Speaker 2: Yeah? It's competitive service? Okay, it's a campaign, is it? Yeah? Is it you just go out to dinner? It could be. It doesn't have to be a physically romantic encounter. It could just be a you know, above the shoulders, high brow interaction with someone you want.
Speaker 1: To Yeah, I can imagine it'd be like a mensa meeting with a salad and a hand job. What Sorry? Cut that out?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: No? Talk up? Hello? What did you say? I said? Salad, solid crago. We're off to a flying start. No different to every fucking week. You know most people listen to this this bit and then jump out when the text starts like fuck that boring tech talk.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know you know how you said. We've probably down to one listener. I can tell you who it is.
Speaker 1: Who is it?
Speaker 2: It's Jane. So I've got a message from Jane after our last podcast, who is a big fan of typ and she had a request for something that we could talk about.
Speaker 1: And what is that? Sorry? I was swinging on what I have. Firstly, shout out to Jane. Hi, Jane, thanks for being our one listener. What does Jane want you to talk about?
Speaker 2: He want us to talk about deep fakes and we kind of have touched on this a few times and it is kind of a really important one, I guess, to get our heads around. Jane also happens to listen to ABC podcasts and I listened to the same podcast called Ladies We Need to Talk, and I kind of felt like I was in an impost a little bit, because if it's a podcast by women for women, I've felt they kind of should I be listening to this? But it was an amazingly good podcast, and I know I shouldn't be promoting other podcasts.
Speaker 1: Well, you can promote whatever. So is that an actual podcast or is that an episode.
Speaker 2: That's Ladies want.
Speaker 1: To Ladies, we need to talk.
Speaker 2: It's really good actually, But so the question was and I thought it was a really great question, and that is she wanted to hear our take on the prevalence of deep fakes and you know, is it just for the porn industry and how disturbing do we think that it is? And look, one of the stats that came out that just blew my mind was that ninety six percent of deep fakes are pornographic. So keeping in mind that deep fakes can be used for political reasons to try to sway people, to mislead people, but the high percentage of ninety six is that deep fakes are pornographic. And this is the thing that is so disturbing is ninety nine percent of deep fake videos and photos are of women. Yeah, and in looking for and the interesting thing that came out of that was that a lot of the methods that people use, so the AI tools, whether it's putting a person's face onto an existing pornographic video. But the majority of all of that is geared up. For the stock imagery is female, not male, because industry is geared up and predominantly it is men wanting to, you know, superimpose a woman's face and whatever they're using it for. There's a whole lot of websites out there that obviously promote this sort of thing. They have celebrities, but some of it can be quite malicious. And I was looking at some recent court cases and there was a guy that the biggest court case in Australian history so far is recent and a guy by the name of Antonio Rotondo. He deep fake basically used prominent women and used deep fake to create pornographic material. He was fined three hundred and forty three thousand dollars by the Federal Court after being caught uploading and not removing non consensual deep fake sexual images. And these are Australian women. So this was a really a breached fourteen under the Online Safety Act fourteen instances of the Online Safety Act. So it's in the reach of average, everyday people. And that's the thing, you know, he'd already previously been fined twenty five thousand dollars. That didn't stop him ian twenty five thousand dollars didn't stop him from doing it, So he may have been getting money out of this. He may have been publishing and people subscribed to the site. So I'm not entirely sure. I didn't follow the case per se, but you know, it's a pretty staggering one. And do you remember and this has came close to home because last year there was some boys at a local grammar school in back of Smash that were caught and what they've been doing is taking AI generated new images of about fifty other female students at their school, and then they were sharing it amongst themselves and one of the boys was actually charged.
Speaker 1: But can we just clear up they weren't images of the girls were They were girl's head imposed on existing nude.
Speaker 2: Bodies exactly, That's exactly right.
Speaker 1: So it wasn't the actual girl's bodies, but it was it was also fakes where they'd put the girl's heads on. And I think just explain to people that because like so deep correct me if I'm wrong, but a deep fake is essentially using an image putting someone's real face, like my face on some other dude's nude body or something like that, and then you then representing as that as though it's real. This is really Craig up A wearing nothing or whatever it is.
Speaker 2: Right, it could be face, it could be voice. Remember you know that's classified as a deep fake as well, putting a person's voice and using that. And you've heard you know the sk now where people call and misrepresent. So you know, you might have a grandchild who's backpacking through the UK and they're posting on social media and they've got a video that has them talking. Well, potentially a scammer could sample that and then call their family and say, look, I've run out of money. Something's happened. I've lost all my luggage. And these are things that are happening right now. You know, there was a CEO or a CFO of a company who you know deep you know, people use deep fake to scam and try to get him to call through and change some bank accounts over you know, put money into to transfer money into another bank account. So there's lots of instances of this happening, and even here in Australia as well.
Speaker 1: I got an email a few years ago from some I don't know whatever going, We've got video footage of you watching porn and how can pleasuring yourself? We're going to share it. I'm like, share away. How good's that you? And they're like, ah, I'm like it's like it's going.
Speaker 2: My answer that would have been can we monetize this and let's go fifty to fifty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And they're like if you send us this or if I'm like really, it's but I think that this, I mean, this is just one you know, version of or one of the myriad of potential consequences and variables of, you know, artificial intelligence and all the stuff that we've got to deal with. And I was listening to Rogan yesterday and who was talking about if you get a chance to see it, it's it's ridiculous. So fifty cent, of course, for our older listeners, fifty cent as a rapper. He's an artist, and they took one of his songs and they turned it into this nineteen fifty sixties bluesy kind of song where this guy was singing this cool dude all Ai general and it was unbelievably good, and it was just using these rap lyrics turned into this kind of very very cool fifties style jazz kind of blues kind of song and video clip and it was it looked absolutely real. And the problem is not only did it look real, it was great. Even Rogan's like, I love this and it's fake and this is going to be I mean, moving forward with creatives and artists, whether that's rights or singers or musicians or you know whatever, there's going to be so much stuff that's produced that like it or not, is going to be good, like as in, that's going to be doing people out of I guess their income or their job in a way. But what do you do about that? Though? If they're producing music AI, that's phenomenal to listen to. What do you do?
Speaker 2: I think as long as there's a disclaimer on there and they're not trying to be was it Millie Vanilli? Remember Millie Vanilli?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, too young for that. Milli Vanilli was this two person group who rose to fame I'm going to say in the nineties tiff and they were super cool. Everyone loved them and they just like for about I was going to say five minutes, but probably a year or two they were massive, and then everyone then then we found out I don't know, just not long after they lip synced everything and they didn't sing anything. Yeah, it was just these two super cool dudes who couldn't sing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think they tried to do a live concert and it backfired on them. So they were trying to lip sync during a life God, yeah, I think is what happened. Yeah. But you know, the other thing that's worth keeping in mind in terms of deep fake is it's been used in films. It's a positive effect. You know, Harrison Ford was deep faked so that in one of the last Indiana Jones movies they could have a flashback to when he was younger. So there's lots of you know, and I'm trying to think, who is the coastar in Top Gun Bell Kilmer? So Bell Kilmer had a terrible illness where he lost his voice, but he acted in a movie and they deep faked his voice so that he could still continue to act. So there's lots of instances where you can use deep fake. And I know a couple of episodes ago. I think it's a Scandinavian film about an alien abduction where the cast wrote performed in their native tongue, and then they re voiced all of the parts in English, but rather than reacting it, they just did the voices and then the lips were made to move with the English movements by using deep fake. They watched it because I've been I just rewatched the series that I really liked on Netflix called Young Royals, and the cast re recorded the whole thing in English, which is so much better than getting just a random actor to voice the character. But they didn't dub. Obviously, the lips are still speaking, you know, in the foreign tongue, and it would have been great if they could lip sync it because it looked even better. But those sorts of things make a big difference. And that's where it's kind of been using it properly. Someone else recently, I can't remember, someone famous gave a talk and then they use deep fake to translate into about eight or nine different languages, so they didn't speak the other languages, but they were able to use it to be able to bring that message or whatever it was in multiple languages using deep fake as well.
Speaker 1: Isn't that just AI? It's not all deep like deep fake seems something dodgy, but It's like, isn't it just AI generated whatever? Isn't like CGI computer generated imagery? You know, when you're putting in scenes that weren't in there, isn't that the same? Now?
Speaker 2: AI, artificial intelligence is the method for doing it. So you're using AI tools and that's where it comes. So whether you're using AI tools as a scammer or a fraudster, or if it's a politician or trying to sway public opinion, it's just the tools that they're using.
Speaker 1: But what I'm saying is if we're say, for example, someone like I think Paul Walker. You know that actor Paul Walker. He passed away right through filming one of The Fast and the Furious. I could have this wrong, but I feel like they did a couple of scenes, you know, which was CGI because he'd passed away. So I wouldn't call that deep fake because we all know what's going on. Do you know what I mean anyway?
Speaker 2: Semantics, Yeah, the semantics the term deep fake. Yeah, I get what you're saying to me.
Speaker 1: That's associated with deception, whereas this is just like just you know, computer generated stuff that make something better.
Speaker 2: I guess if you d age an actor, it is a deep faking. The actor. It's not the real person. It's using a technique, whether it AI or advanced CGI, probably using some sort of AI. But it is effectively a deep The term is still deep fake. It's the kind of the umbrella term for whom you led an image to be different than what it was by superimposing or making them younger, or putting another face on another person. So effectively, that is deep fake.
Speaker 1: So Tiff, you and I are deep faking right now because we've got filters on our things. I don't know, do I have a filter. I don't think I do. Everybody who uses a filter on zoom's deep faking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is not more a real mustache.
Speaker 2: You look good with that though. The top hat was fantastic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah. I wish you'd shave your hairy shoulders though. Yeah, Patrick, tell us, I don't know. Let's tell us about reusable water bottles that are a breeding ground for horrible things.
Speaker 2: Is that what you're drinking out of now?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yeah, but I'm doing that. I'm having lots of breeding ground activity for my gut biome. It's my Chinese doctor told me to well, my Chinese medicine doctor, I should say, who happens to be Chinese?
Speaker 2: Well, the market, the global market for reusable water bottles is valued at about ten billion dollars. Okay, so it's very, very, very big. But the question is is that every year, because if you've got a reusable bottle, you shouldn't be buying what every year? Should you? Anyway? Short of it is the problem that you have with that is some drink bottles have those pop up straws or they have a narrow opening and it's plastic and be a breeding ground. And I've read reports where they say you should clean your water bottle every day, every single day. You should wash it out and clean it, sterilize it like hot water, and clean it properly. But yeah, so basically there's been studies done specifically looking at people who are using water bottles on a daily basis and how often, so that the researchers were saying, well, how clean are the bottles that people are using on a daily basis. We know we're trying to do the right thing, not waste plastics, and so we're trying to do the right thing, But is that a good thing from our perspective? Because you know, most people, well not most people, but there's a chance that you might have fecal bacteria on your hands that you flip the lid on it, and certainly you've passed that on to the straw. Sorry, tiff TIFFs start having dinner tonight.
Speaker 4: Sorry, but I mean the funny thing is, though, right, we all, I mean you would be we would all be surprised how many people, like we go fecal bacteria.
Speaker 1: Okay, so probably everyone has a bit of that on them somewhere. It's like, but people think, oh no, that's it's like, well, no. We were talking to doctor Bill, doctor Bill Sullivan who you probably don't know, Patrick, but he comes on the show from Indiana State University, is like professor of micro biology or something, and he was talking about one of the reasons people get so sick is because our environment is so sanitized. He's like, we need dirt, we need germs.
Speaker 3: Like we need on your water bottle, Patrick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we need back. Exactly, have a little bit of kaka in your cam Butcher. It's probably kaka in your cam Butcher anyway, Patrick, it's probably twelve percent kaka, which is why it's so good for your gut. You don't need to do the old poop pills up the old date. You can just do that. I mean that is literally a medical yeah, but I just think that we, you know, in twenty twenty five, we just worried, you know, for us living in first world luxury. Oh, for God's sake, stop being so no pun intended, but anal it's like, oh my god, just you know, we don't have to be wiping and sanitizing everything, and not only that, where we fuck up our immune system because we have no exposure to some of the bacteria we should. But then on top of that you layer the anxiety that people have about this ship, which makes them even worse. So now we've got mental health issues around everything being fucking sanitized, and that makes people sick too. You know what, for the last timeline of humanity, we have not done all the things that we do around this ship, John pay Owning a dog is probably the best way to get a mix of bacteria, because I don't know about you, Tiff, does Luna ever slip the tongue in?
Speaker 2: You know me too?
Speaker 1: Fritz does same me. You get a bit close after licking his balls, then he's licking your lips so fucking forget all your hygiene, I said, cat, though I picked Fritz doesn't have balls.
Speaker 2: No, well, his previous owners took him to the vet when he was a little.
Speaker 1: Wow, like father, like son? What? What? Sorry? Sorry? What? Sorry? I just it just broke up. Then, come on, Patrick, jump back on your list.
Speaker 2: Off this topic fast. What about do you before you go to bed?
Speaker 1: I love it when you get tongue tied. It's so good because you never get tongue tied. Yeah, before I go to bed? Yeah, keep going.
Speaker 2: How long before you go to bed? Do you look at a screen TV?
Speaker 1: If I'm being honest, If I'm being honest, I'm in bed watching TV. I'm terrible at this, but I don't. Yeah, I'm the worst example of what to do. I tell people what to do, but I I sleep like a rock though, so I don't know that.
Speaker 2: I'm Wow.
Speaker 1: You drink I'm drinking coffee right now, seats.
Speaker 2: Wow, I'm drinking It's.
Speaker 1: Five point thirty. I'm drinking coffee, and I'll have a cup of tea. I often take a cup of tea to bed and watch Telly, so my brain has all the stimulants.
Speaker 2: Wow. A Norwegian study CRAGO involving more than forty five thousand students. Right. Yes, that when they used screens in bed for one hour after the lights out, increased their risk of insomnia by fifty nine percent and shortened their total sleep by twenty five minutes per night.
Speaker 1: I believe it, and you believe it, but it doesn't. But it's not for everyone, but it's it's generally true, though. Yeah, doing what I do. Say to people don't do what I do. It's terrible.
Speaker 2: I try to not look at my phone and listen to an audio book or a podcast before I go to bed, so black out the room. I have a total totally blacked out room, even mine. I've got a digital clock that projects onto the ceiling. It's a little led display. And then what I do is, I've got two pillows and I pushed the pillows across so that covers the laser and that way I don't even get the glow of the red lights that reflected. It's totally got to be totally black.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, cook, Do you have a particular sleep protocol.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I now try and get off the phone an hour before before bed. And the phone lives in the kitchen of a night, so I can't look at it or no, it's there because we know that keeps the brain active, or it does for me, and I have to read a real book. Ohne, I've got a protocol that is working, and my sleep's gone up about an average a half hour night, which is phenomenal. I'm having some good having some good times with that new with that protocol.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The only thing that I do is I listened to I've got this repeat. Basically it sounds like surf, like crashing waves, which I played pretty much every night, and I don't know how many waves are here crash, but it's not that many. I've got forty minutes of crashing waves and surf. It's like just But when I play like even gentle music, it distracts me because of the different the different instruments. But if it's essentially like white noise or brown noise or green noise or any of those, where it's a constant, yeah, I fall asleep straight up.
Speaker 2: It's interesting. My digital clock that you know, the fancy one with the laser that points the time onto the roof. It also has pre recorded wave sounds. What else does it have? You know, like creek babbling brook like when through the trees, I not never want to turn that on and have a listen. Isn't that funny? I should?
Speaker 1: It should? It could be, It could be the could be the thing that gets you over the line. Tell us why we wouldn't charge our phone when we're renting a car.
Speaker 2: Oh see, you know it's funny. I did this little story or I put it aside in our notes previous previous podcast, and we didn't get a chance to talk about it. And it was that very same day I was getting my car service, do you remember, Yeah, And so I'd done that very thing. I plugged my car, my phone into the car so I could use my GPS and Android Auto and it hadn't even occurred to me. And the reality of it is, when you are in a courtesy car and you plug your phone in, potentially it can be synchronizing with your phone, taking your contacts off, sharing your contacts with the vehicle. And if someone knew what they were doing, they could go back. And I've found this before. If you ever got into a courtesy car and you've hooked up by Wi Fi or hooked up by cable, and you can see other people, other users who've used the car. Have you ever seen that?
Speaker 1: I have not, but I believe that would. Yeah, it doesn't surprise me.
Speaker 2: So that's the reality. When you plug in a cable, and it may even just be to charge your phone, you think, oh, you had better charge the phone. Well, potentially you could be transferring information between your phone and your car. And most car companies, no rental companies, have zero policy because it wouldn't occur to them to have a policy about the privacy of your data if it gets taken sucked up by the car that you're using as a high car. Do you reckon?
Speaker 1: We already live in a time where, in Australia anyway, it's pretty much impossible to have a technology free life. Yeah, that's a tough one. That's a tough like, it's pretty impossible, isn't it. I mean when you think of banking and payments and bills and like, unless you live off the grid in the middle of nowhere and grow your own food and have your own water and generate your own electricity and have your own medicine, Like, think about all of the things that you need to not just subsist but exist and potentially thrived be very hard to have no or to not be connected. I don't mean no technology. Maybe you can have a generator or whatever if that's technology, but I mean technology technology. I think we're almost past that time, aren't we.
Speaker 2: I think we would risk being well for most of us the way we engage. And you talked about things like banking, it's getting increasingly difficult to do any sort of banking unless you're doing it online. I went to our local community bank recently to withdraw some money. I don't normally use cash. In fact, I don't think I've used cash since before COVID, so it's been what five years or something. But the interesting thing is I got my cards out. So I'm standing there with my wallet, which just sits in my glovebox because again I don't use it, and I'm putting all the different cards and about five cards, and I put them into the cash machine and they're all popping out and it's like none of these work, Like I'm not getting any money out. Manager came out and what the hell are you doing? Because I know the manager and she's and she said, no, no, none of your cards are enabled for ATM. It's like what she said, no, no, none of the cards are enabled for ATM because you don't get any interest if you've got an account that has ATM access, But if you have no ATM access, then you earn interest. And it's like, well, how do I get money out? I just come in to the bank and we'll you know, we'll do it across the counter. I had no idea. It had been five years since I've used an ATM, and I realized that none of my cards work in an ATM.
Speaker 1: So what did you need cash for? Were you going to see your mate that you're building a website for?
Speaker 2: What did I need cash for? I don't know cash I needed cash for. I had one of my colleagues had a birthday and I wanted to put cash in. Actually both of them, two colleagues had a birthday. One of them just turned eighteen, and so I wanted to put some cash in a card for him, and I ended up getting one of those debit cards because he wants to travel M. I thought to be easier just getting the cash out and giving that and my other colleague as a surprise, I put three hundred bucks into his card.
Speaker 1: We were very nice.
Speaker 2: He didn't say.
Speaker 1: You don't give to express something in return, you just be nice. Come on, and now you've spoken about it publicly, you're really really reaching, aren't you.
Speaker 2: He's not going to listen to the podcast.
Speaker 1: Scientists tell us that working from home makes us happier. I reckon, that's a bit. I hate it when they say generalize things. Yeah, it's like, well, does it everyone? All the people? I don't know. I hate it when they make unequivocal statements. No, we did some research and with the people that we looked at in general, the people that we looked at, I don't know. I feel like there's a lot of people that don't come under that banner. But it's an interesting conversation starter.
Speaker 2: Anyway, four year Australian study, this is and this came. This has all come to the four post COVID or during COVID, I should say, you know, I've been running a business from home for what twenty six years? And you know, at one point you'd almost embarrassingly say that you're working from home. But now it's become the done thing, and you know, because a lot of people were forced to do that, and there's legislation being enacted in Victoria to make it compulsory for employers to allow staff to work at least two days a week from home if it's practicable. I mean, if you work in a factory, that's not going to happen, but it makes sense. So this this started, this study began just before the pandemic and they was the University of South Australia and they looked at teleworkers, so you know, and the impact on their lives and they said that.
Speaker 1: When what's a teleworker, you mean someone who's on the phone and does.
Speaker 2: Just working remotely. So tell so basically anybody who works from home and is remotely yeah, so I mean yeah, So the pandemic was accelerated the ability to work you know, basically from home for anybody you know who was an office worker. But media, it seems that the immediate effect of working from home was better sleep. So that was one of the things because on average, remote workers gained an extra thirty minutes of rest overnight. And that makes sense because if you're not commuting to work, then you have more time after work knocks off to do all the things that we have to do to live our lives, which means we then are able to get to bed earlier. Potentially and be able to get that extra sleep that we all absolutely need.
Speaker 1: So does that mean I'm going to have to go and do my corporate gigs in people's homes? Good a, Brian, I'm here for a workshop. It's just you and me. Imagine if people stop going the corporate I'm fucked. Yeah, what am I going to do? Yeah? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think it'll snuggle at your place.
Speaker 1: Of course, we could do it in the front yard, I think though, I understand it, but it seems like everything's geared towards the employee, not the employer, like the people who are actually paying them. It's like, can you go, okay, we actually want you to be when you work. We want you to be in the workplace. And it's like if you say that, like you're a bad person. I'm like, I feel like there are a lot of jobs, like if you're a mechanic or a builder, or any kind of tradee or a school teacher or and I know you can do some of that. I just think that I don't know where. And I totally understand it, and I'm all for better conditions for employees, But when does the tail stop wagging the dog? Like when does the person who's paying the person have some right to say, I actually want you here because I want to be able to just talk to you frequently, and I want to be able to build an environment we've got a team of creatives in the same room, or I don't know, like it feels for me, who's employed people to then be told, oh, you can't you you have no control over any of this. You've just got to do what you're told and pay everyone and shut the fuck up. I'm like, oh, I don't know that that would work in a lot of businesses.
Speaker 2: Look, I agree with you. I've got to say, when my employee works from home, I'm less likely to engage. We have phone calls and we chat, but I always feel like I'm imposing on him. So if I have a phone call and I hang up and then I think of something thirty seconds later that I've meant to mention, and I call it a Willoson imposition. Whereas when he's in the office with me, oh, I joined a quick read of this email before I send it, you know, I go over to him and say, how's this job you're working on going, And I'll have a look and we'll see what he's working on. It's like I'll make a couple of suggestions, but that doesn't work when he's working remotely. I absolutely know that he's very good at working remotely, and I get that, and it's good for him because he can take his daughter to day care. So two days a week he works from home, you know, four three days he's in the office. But I feel we're more productive when we're in the same room together, and I feel I'm supported because I like to bounce ideas off and you know me, I hate to talk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we know, I notice, But I also I don't know. I guess there's no right wrong with this. But I also think depending on the workplace and the culture. But I know lots of people who actually really like their job and they like where they work. And I know people who also hate their job. But going to a place where you've got friends and colleagues that you do cool stuff with together and it is a good environment. Now, I know this is not every workplace, but I also think there's something to be said for getting out of the house, going somewhere. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I do that because I teach, and that's a great way to get out and do that. I mean, I'm at the gym in the morning and then walking Fritz, so I spend at least two hours out of the house even before I start work. But I love it when I have an excuse to leave and if I can have them. The other day, I think I told you I got very excited because I'm a nerd and we just opened a new library in Bland. It's very exciting. But I I had a meeting with a client and I just said, let's go to the library and meet there because I've got meeting rooms and stuff, and it was awesome just to be able to get out of the house and meet somewhere different.
Speaker 1: You know, it's not nineteen eighty two, don't you. We got a library? What, Tiff? Can I ask you a question? We've got a library. God, wait till the internet gets to Bland. You guys are going to go nuts. Hey, tif are you What are your thoughts on self driving cars? Would you get in a self driving car? Would you go, hey, take me to the gym and just sit in the back seat and let yourself be driven.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I don't even do you know what I find weird. I've seem to have an issue with the sound of electric cars when they drive past me. The they freak me out. I feel like I'm in some weird I don't know it's weird. So I don't know how you feel about them.
Speaker 2: Well, tell even eyes that you're hearing. That's about the sound that you get in.
Speaker 3: They've got this weird there's this weird noise that goes bast I feel like I'm a sort of cipher. I'm not repeating it. You're not bullying me.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well they're they're on their way in Australia, as Patrick will tell us in a moment, but also they're already in California. There's already taxis and a bunch of other things, which, yeah, so you order a cab, it comes to your house driverless, you get in and it takes you where you're going, and you're the only person in the car. That's that's got to be interesting for your first time doing that.
Speaker 2: Well, at the moment. In Australia, Tesla has been allowed to enable what they call full self driving, but there's a caveat it's called supervised self driving, so you have to be sitting at the steering will ready to take over. So you you know, you can't be sitting around having a nap. You can't be sitting in the passenger seat. It's TIFF's given me this blank look. But what the hell is the point?
Speaker 1: I saw a video of a dude coming in a Tesla from Sydney to Melbourne and he's got to sit there like, I think it's more stressful than just driving, because he's got to be fucking sitting there with his hands at the ten to two but not on the wheel, but just ready at any moment for a fucking ten hour drive to take what's the point? I'm with you. I want to sit in the back and have a snoozy mcsnoozeter. Well, watch your video looking to happen.
Speaker 2: I got to say that I use like assisted cruise control in my car and lane assist, so my car will use adaptive cruise control. If the car in front of me starts to slow down, the cruise control will slow down accordingly and maintain the distance. It's safer if someone jams on their brakes, the car potentially Well, I've actually had this one. I've reversed into my driveway because I hadn't trimmed the hedge well enough, I started reversing.
Speaker 1: Such a metaphor.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty good usually at trimming the hedge. Yeah, I like to keep it tidy. As I reversed into the drive, the car slammed on the brakes, So it's like, what the hell just happened? Did I hit something? And it was just that the bush was poking out a little bit, and so I subsequently got out of my heage trimmer and trim the hedge.
Speaker 1: Notice how quiet I am here? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, But those things are handy. So if you're reversing and a child ran out in front of you and you didn't see them, or a dog, a cat, then your car potentially.
Speaker 1: We get that. That's the old technology. Patrick, twenty nineteen. Suzuki's got all that shit. Let's talk about No, stop distracting us with your bullshit, Mazda, Let's go back to fucking Oh, I guess what my car's got, adaptive cruise control. Fucking hell, that's a newsplash. Let's talk about Tesla's that can drive you around while you're sitting in the back seat. When is that actually happening?
Speaker 2: Well, the foot well, not in the back seat. Because it's a legislative not technology. So legislatively, no government in Australia is going to let a car on the road that's full self driving. They want ever like ever at the moment, at the moment, they prove themselves. So the argument from Tesla is that cameras don't blink, they don't get tired, they don't get distracted, and so potentially having that car in that autonomous mode of full self driving mode is going to be safer even if you're sitting there at ten to two ready to take over control, because the car will react better than what they're claiming. The car will react better than what a human driver will.
Speaker 1: I think you're right, and I think also I think they're right. I think we don't want to think about that. But you know, every now and then you go, oh, a Tesla ran over four people, or it did this or that, But you think about all the human error accidents that happen every day all around the world. I you know, I would say they are far there's going to be even when we do have full automated self driving cars. I would think there will be accidents, but I think it will be I could be wrong, but I feel like it'll be overwhelmingly safer than humans doing the job. For the reason that you said, yes, Tiff, yes, you're with your hand up in row four. I love it when you put up your hand like you're at school. Everyone. I just say, your camera has changed. It keeps zooming in and out on you.
Speaker 3: What's that about, zoomer me if I wanted it to do that? And I said, that sounds great, zoom let's do it.
Speaker 1: And every now, every time you put your head in your hands, which is every two minutes, we see the top of a scone. You got a little dandruff. Bro, I don't you know. I'm just just letting you know. Maybe just some.
Speaker 3: Coind quite a few silver hairs sprouting through, by the way, But that's not what my hand was raised for. It was to say, my biggest concern is, as if people aren't going to hack them hack everything else, people are going to hack that shit and crazy stuff will happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'm with you on that. Yeah, that's like I mean, it's essentially a computer on wheels, as if they're not going to be hacked.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh look, and now I'm doing one hundred and eighty kilometers an hour towards that tree. Oh and I'm a politician that people or whatever it is like, Yeah, that that scares me. Yeah, Patrick fixed that wair if you could. If you could, Patrick, fix that and get back.
Speaker 2: To us, I will all right to do list Craigo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you could. I know you've got not much on can you. I want to jump ships a little bit. Dutch designers innovate tiny home. I'm a bit obsessed with tiny homes everyone. I think I'd like to live in one for a year or two. Tiny home inside recycled wind turbine. It's either that or those buddy shipping containers. I don't mind a good shipping container.
Speaker 2: That's been frocked up a bit, especially when you get them on top of each other where they're offset.
Speaker 1: And you can yeah, like a big genger kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, tetris like in the Tetris.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is because one of the I mean, it's.
Speaker 2: Great that there are a lot of wind turn bides around now. I don't know if you've ever been up close and personal next to a wind turbine, but they're gigantic, like, they're massively big, and the problem is the environmental sustainability of these once they become decommissioned. And so I have a bit of a chuckle when I saw the name of this eco friendly innovation. It's called Nestle, which could be pronounced nestle or nestlay. So it's either I'm going to eat it, or I'm going to live in it because could be a block of chocolate, mate.
Speaker 1: Or I'm going to snuggle up next to it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So each of the units measures about three hundred and seventy six square feet. So what's that about, like a square, like one hundred square meters or something? No, how much three hundred and seventy what three hundred and seventy six square feet?
Speaker 1: Well, that's like twenty feet by twenty feet just under So it's like five meters by four meters, which is like, no, no, no, no, it's tiny.
Speaker 2: What's that in square meters? Though, because I don't know square feet, I should have probably done the calculations.
Speaker 1: Okay, well it's like is five by four is twenty square meters?
Speaker 2: Are twenty square meters? Okay, that sounds good. So they are making these really great little stylish you know, they're using European Well they're getting people to kind of move into them. And it sounds like the perfect way to recycle and repurpose these turbine parts. And you know, I lived in a caravan for about three years. When I was about sixteen, I bought a caravan and moved out into the backyard and it was I had my own little what why are you laughing at me?
Speaker 1: I bought a caravan and I moved out. Where'd you go?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: The backyard? What? Yeah? Seven feet from mum so she could wash my clothes and make my dinner.
Speaker 2: I had it in com too, so I could just press to see when it was ready to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mum's dinner ready. And also, what about my jocks? What's the status on those? It's a status on my jocks? Over hell on pathnic. Can you impersonate your mum for me? Please? No?
Speaker 2: I would not I would not go that far, my lovely mother. I wouldn't do that. Actually I couldn't.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: It's funny. I do a really good Maltese accent, but when I heard my parents talk, couldn't hear their accent?
Speaker 1: Wow? Well let's hear it. Let's hear your really good Maltese accent. Well, can we say to everyone you are Maltese by heritage.
Speaker 2: By heritage, demoritese accent sounds like this. If I talk about the Dutch engineers who innovate the tiny hole wind, say his say cold wind turbine.
Speaker 1: Oh oh that's pretty good, dude, that's pretty good. Wow, that's better than my Irish, which I'm not doing accent.
Speaker 2: Mind, I can do an Irish accent till the cows come home.
Speaker 1: Well, you're pretty good at that. That's the voiceover man in you coming out. Tip. Would you like to live in a tiny home for a year or two? I'd love to, I reckon be all right with a pet horse if I was. Imagine if you were stinking rich and you just build an estate of tiny homes, had like a thousand tiny homes, I wonder, and you could sell them for like one hundred and twenty grand, so everyone could, Well not everyone could, but you know what I mean, what's what's the median price of a house in Melbourne? A trillion dollars? What do you get for one hundred grand? You get a letterbox and a yakka next to it.
Speaker 2: Hucknell Well countries are looking into the affordability and trying to get people into the housing market by producing eco sustainable housing like the shipping containers and now this idea of having a recycled wind turbine. But it would be so good for young people. I look at my young people that I know, my friend's kids, and you think, how the hell you know if you live in Hampton, how the hell are you ever going to buy in Hampton? And this is happening in a lot of places where young people are being displaced from the suburbs they grew up in because they can't afford to buy in that suburb. So it's happening in a lot of towns where you've got resort towns, so places four Key and Ocean Grove. So if you grew up there surfing as a kid, once you get to the point where you may want to move out of home and buy a place, it's too out of the spectrum because it's too expensive. They can't they can't buy in the town that they grew up in.
Speaker 1: That's why everyone head to the land. That's where it's at. That's it's Patrick starting a cult pretty soon.
Speaker 2: That'd be good leader, do you Beckon? I could be a cult leader? Maybe On edit career change.
Speaker 1: You could definitely be involved in a cult. I feel more like you'd be the wife of the cult leader. You so i'm your missus pretty much pretty much, you could be my wife. I don't want to be a cult leader. No, I don't know. You're more You're not that bossy. I mean you're definitely, You're definitely smart enough if you wanted. But I don't think you want a cult. I don't want a cult? Who wants a cult?
Speaker 2: If in this conversation these three windows, who's the cult leader out of the three?
Speaker 1: Well, that's no one. It might be Tiff, it might you might be two, I see, and I might just do security at the front gate, heeping out the Feds. He carries about she could be a cult leader. Well, she kind of is, Hey, can you do one more story because I need to go and eat food because I'm getting like TIF, I'm getting angry. You're a bit angry at the moment. Yep, yeah, ye, So can you can you shove it along a little bit?
Speaker 2: Sheeers, I can't find the story. I'm just going to talk about it anyway. So Radian we talked about a few Australian innovations and I love it when Australians come up with innovations. But some scientists in Australia have come up with a way too. And you'll love this because I know you like to lurk around your suburb at night to give people. I I resemble that comment, Patrick, because I know my friends say that you walked us their house.
Speaker 1: I do. That's I think I must be the hamp and fucking weirdo because I'm out in the dark like a ninja. People just go, what is wrong with that guy?
Speaker 3: I know?
Speaker 1: I apologize, I'm friendly. You can say hello.
Speaker 2: Now They've got an ultra thin film that can turn ordinary glasses into night vision goggles if you wanted to buy night vision goggles. We've seen him in the movies, you know, the special ops people they wear those big chunky rectangus. Getting rid of all of that. So straights come up with a new way that could potentially transform how we walk around at night. And that could just be as simple as you not tripping over something when you're out evening walk. You know, I'm not suggesting it's for nefarious reasons that Craig may want to have night vision when he goes out for his walk. But there's organization. It's the ARC Center of Excellence for transformative meta optical systems.
Speaker 1: Of course it is. Do you know what else would be good? If they could have heat detecting in it as well, so I can see, you know, where live things are as I move across the urban landscape.
Speaker 2: Just turn it back to creepy.
Speaker 1: That's just for personal security. It is, it is, I reckon, it's yes, I was going to talk about something else. No, I would like a pair of those? Would you like a pair of those?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely, it makes it would make night vision much more accessible as well, so because it's at the moment it's really just soldiers and people working professional bird watches or something. But the no, it could be really good to have that for safety and for lots of other reasons as well well. Even driving at night. You could potentially be driving and not have your headlocks on.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, gee, let's try that, shall we? Hey, everyone, let's just do a little social experiment, automotive experiment. Let's no, let's not do that for.
Speaker 3: A night time we and not having to turn the lights on and wake yourself up with all the blue light.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's such an issue. Isn't it when you get up and you need a Wii and you turn that shit on and it's like fox up your sleep. Yeah, that's why I just go. I think this is the toilet in front of me. I'll do my best and I'll deal with it at six am. What's all that splashing on my calves? What's that? And my shins? Hold it?
Speaker 2: Crago?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Or you can always you know, you can always sit down, but that's not you don't want to do that when you're a boy. Do you do.
Speaker 2: You remember we had a train at Harper's whose wife made him sit down?
Speaker 1: Do you remember that a trainer at Harper's who's do not tell us the name on air, but definitely tell us what do you mean he's oh, so that he wouldn't piss everywhere?
Speaker 2: Yep, he's under strict instructions. You have to sit down, not to let us stand up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's wow. I need to dissown whoever that was before you even tell me who that was? Patrick? Whereon? People learn about you and what you do, and join your cult and come and stay at your house.
Speaker 2: Overnight websites noow dot com today you is the main website or you could get them chi at home dot com today you if you feel like you just want to hang out and do tie chi with me.
Speaker 1: Perfect both ways.
Speaker 2: And also, thank you so much, we finally got someone who kind of had some feedback. That was great that Jane took the trouble to ask us to talk about something. So if you want to talk to us something, just go to websitesnow dot com today.
Speaker 1: You you just made this podcast sound so tragic when you just highlighted that a person sent a question, a person get scarted with them.
Speaker 2: They care looking you know what, people enjoy listening. They don't feel they have to contribute, but if they want to, they can, and they sure can.
Speaker 1: Can I say, how funny you look holding what appears to be a bottle of beer in your hands, but it's kom butcher. If we know you're angry, we're going to let you go. But what are you going to shove in your face? What's the go to when you're hang.
Speaker 3: The place next door to where I took my clients is fair Feed and they have the best home cooked awesome chef prepared, not home cooked chef prepared me. So I got I can't remember I bought, but I bought some slow cooked meats. I'm going to whip that up.
Speaker 1: Is that the place where you're going and you get food and then you just pay whatever you think is no?
Speaker 3: This place started up around COVID time when we were in lockdown, and it's just like a sustainable little establishment and they've got chefs there and they cook all that. It's really good food, it's really tasty, and it's really awesome priced.
Speaker 1: So is it not for profit? Is my question? Or is it a business?
Speaker 3: It's a social enterprise right, and they're lovely too, So I drop it there once a week when I'm training people.
Speaker 1: Give a shout out. What's their name again? What's the business name? Or the social enterprise? What? Fair feed?
Speaker 3: Fair feed? Go get around. It's good, good food and soups that make me feel like my nan cooked to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can I give you some quick cooking advice because I had the most exciting lunch today.
Speaker 1: Which part about we're finishing the podcast, are you not understanding.
Speaker 3: Everybody wants cooking advice from the vegan.
Speaker 1: And also yeah, we're just about we're just winding up and he's like, hey, can I telling you no? You fucking can't.
Speaker 3: I'm about to go and eat my slow cooked So.
Speaker 1: Hey, go and tell your story to Fritz. He's probably so stick of your stories. Yeah, to see everyone.
Speaker 2: Bye,