Speaker 1: On the days when you're not motivated, what do you do? How do you show up? Do you show up at all? And what makes the professional the professional is that when they are not motivated, they still show up and deliver at such a level that you would not know that they were not motivated that day because their performance is consistent across the board.
Speaker 2: Everyone.
Speaker 3: Before we get into this week's podcast, we got a pretty cool announcement to make you are not able to connect with us, We have a pretty cool little widget that's on the website. Just go to poletailor dot biz Forwards Life Podcast and near the top of the page you'll see a little icon that says send a message to the Paul Tailor podcast and so what we can do with that You just click on that and then you send us an audio message and we will get the audio message night. The first thing I want to do with using it is actually do and ask me anything episode. So all you gotta do if you got a question that we want me to cover is just go to Paul Taylor dot b is Z Forward Slash podcast and on start the recording, and then send us a message about what you would like me to talk about and they ask.
Speaker 2: Me anything and leave your name. We will call it out on the show. I'll get that all put together.
Speaker 3: And the other thing you can do is just leave us a message about what you like about the podcast, what you don't like about the podcast day I talk too much, all of that sort of stuff, and just give us some feedback and we will use that to continuously improve. So looking forward to hearing from you now home with the podcast.
Speaker 2: Dre Baldwin, Welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey Paul, I'm excited to be here. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: And where abuch do we find you?
Speaker 1: Miami, Florida?
Speaker 2: Oh jeez, what's it like there?
Speaker 1: I I'm beautiful, always beautiful, and maybe get of course, you get the rainy season and get a couple of storm scares, maybe one or two every year.
Speaker 4: But a couple of big ones, A couple of big ones lately.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but most of the time I'm crossing my fingers. Knocking wood doesn't always hit us directly, at least not here in Miami. So I'll take that as a trade off for eighty degree weather and up yearn.
Speaker 4: Yes, so yeah, absolutely, And so did you escape the big storm recently?
Speaker 1: Yeah? The big one that just came through. We didn't even get rain here in Miami and went more further further north, sort of middle part of the state, and it came from the west side, and Miami's on the east.
Speaker 2: Soup.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, right, it's a bit of a lottery this time of year, isn't it so? Drey, You are an ex professional athlete, the next professional basketball player, and now you coach people on high performance, whether it's in business or life. Before we get into the stuff that you talk to people about, talk me through just some of the highs and lows about being a professional athlete.
Speaker 2: Give us a little bit of an insight.
Speaker 1: As far as being an athlete. It's mostly highs. I would say ninety seven percent highs because what I tell people, even as an entrepreneur now, Paul, that being a professional athlete is the best job that you will ever have, and there's no job better than it's ten times better than what I do now. I love what I do now. Being a professional athlete is better because you're literally playing a game for a lily. And most people play games when they get off of work. We play games we're at work, and we're getting paid to play the game. It's not even networds, just playing it. We're getting paid to play the game, and then you're getting to travel around, usually on the dime of the team. If you're on a team sport, they're paying for it. They're paying your food, they're paying your travel, they're paying the hotels, and they give you a sour for playing the sport. And all you have to do is you got to be pretty damn good, but you got to you just play a sport. So those are the highs of it. And then everyone knows you for playing that sport. They know you as that person who plays that sport, so you're usually pretty well known because of that. And I mean, I can't really think of any lows of it. The only lows there are things that you compare to when you're comparing in it too. Let's say no everyday life, there may be some way was like, hey, you got to show up to work every day, or you have to go to practice the times you don't want to go to practice, or you had to be one of the top two percent in the world so you can keep your job. I mean, if you want to call those of those, sure, but I couldn't really think of anything that I would consider a downside of being a pro athlete if you have the game to actually get in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the mental game, what was what was the mental Did you feel a lot of pressure, because I know a lot of athletes these days. Are some athletes feel a huge amount of pressure? Or did you just love for the game and what you were doing? Did that just overcome that and it was a more of a joy.
Speaker 1: Anytime there was any pressure that I even started to think about, or say I'm on the team and I'm not getting as much playing time as I want, or I don't like the teammates, or I don't like the apartment they had me set up in, or WiFi is not working. I would always remind myself, Paul, look what I'm doing. All right, Look what I'm doing. I'm traveling the world playing a sport. Who am I going to complain to? And who am I going to tell about this? I can't say people back home, because none of them is living the kind of way that I'm living. So I always anytime I caught myself even thinking like that, even for a minute, immediately canceled it out by saying, look where you're at, You're in filming the name of whatever country I was in playing basketball for a living. Again, what do you have to complain about if you get out of here? What are you gonna do? What were you doing before this? And so I yes, some athletes do feel pressure these days because I think in the world that we're in now, I stop playing in twenty fifteen, get people a time frame here, But the world that we're in now, I think people are generally as a society just more mentally weak than they were in the era that people like myself and yourself come from. So they are looking at these things that we said, I actually like this kind of pressure. I had the kind of pressure that I have to play great in every practice, in every game otherwise I lose my job. Where they were looking at it like it's some type of burden. Again, I don't. I never allow myself to think.
Speaker 4: That with I like the way that you brought in gratitude to come to that pressure. But let's let's not talk about what a lot of athletes do struggle with. And that is the transition, right, the transition from being in the top two percent of your field in the world, and you know, all of that travel, all that awesome stuff that you talked about and now all of a sudden, you're just a regular guy. How did you find that transition and you know what sort of struggles whether and how did you overcome them.
Speaker 1: Well, that transition was a little bit different from me, and it was easier for me because of the way that it was different because Paul I come from a Division three couch. So here in the United States, Division three is the third tier of sports. That's not usually a level that produces pro players, So they're always looking at your pedigree your whole career to looking at where you came from because that tells them, I guess it cloves people into hu much talent you might have a right no matter what you did in your previous steps. So I understood it from the very first opportunity I got to play professionally that there might not be a second, and when I got the second, they may not be a third. So I always had that on my mind. So I started to build what became my business now while I was still playing, because there was a time when I didn't have a job. There was a time I was in between jobs. I was a unemployed professional athlete, and that's when I started focusing more on building what we now call personal brand on the internet, writing books, creating courses, you know, making products. All eventually moved into coaching people and building this brand online where I was making money just from the fact that I was publishing content and building an audience. So I had that stuff going for me the whole second half of my career. My career was almost a decade long, so that last five years I had that stuff going. When I wasn't on the court, I was on a computer doing those things. And good thing about being a pro athlete is that there's a lot of downtime. Yeah, a long day of work is like four hours, so you do whatever you want. So when you see athletes out there, specifically football and basketball players making terrible rap music, is because we got a lot of time on our hands. I just happened to get on the internet and write books. They decided to get the studio and make music, and.
Speaker 4: What was the It's really interesting because you started then succession planning for your career.
Speaker 2: Right when you were in the middle of.
Speaker 4: Your career, right, which is is quite unusual, particularly I think back in those days. So you would have started your succession planning maybe twenty ten exactly, and we still had five years to go. Where did that come from? Was that just something in your mind that you were a more aware than others that this could stop at any time? Or did you have a coach or somebody who kind of got in your head and had said, hey, Dre, you want to think about the long game here, not just a short.
Speaker 1: Game answers a combination of several things. Was you just said there, you touched on a bunch of them. So number one, I never considered a succession plan. I was just like, how do I pay my bills if I don't get another phone call and another opportunity to play basketball? And I knew I wanted to combine basketball with the Internet with making money because I'm a little bit of a closet internet geek for a lot of people don't know that. So I was always into computers and stuff. But at the same time, I had this athletic ability, So I took the detour through sports before I came back to the computers. So what happened is, as I told you, I didn't know how long my career was going to last. Sometimes the job opportunities weren't coming. So if the call phone wasn't coming, phone wasn't ringing, I was asking myself, well, this phone doesn't ring again, what am I going to do? How can I take what I'm already doing on the internet with basketball? Because I had an audience on YouTube who was just watching me do drills and stuff. How can I take that audience and combine it with doing something that has to do with computers because I knew I had a little bit of precociousness on computers, and is there a way to make money through the internet? And that was all starting to happen around that about that two thousand and nine through twenty eleven time period. Now, as far as me having anybody in my ear, not directly, but let me tell you where that did come from. The fact that I was even thinking this way was when I was in college back around two thousand and two two thousand and three, I got invited to a meeting where someone asked, well, the bulletin board postly said, do you want to make some extra money in the summertime. I responded to this because this is before college athletes could make money off of name, image and likeness. So if you played a college right. It was like you had two jobs, you had full time student workload, and you had playing a sport and you couldn't You were not allowed to make money based off of the fact that you were an athlete. So I responded to that. Turns out this guy was doing network marketing or what some people call multi level marketing. And I did not build a career there, but I dabbled in it and when I was in college, and it was there that I learned about two things. Number one, personal development, because the people in the meetings would say, if you're going to build a business, you have to build up yourself. Your business cannot grow anymore than you grow. That made perfect sense to me. And number two is that these people were explaining entrepreneurship. And even though I have a four year degree in business, the things that were being taught at that network marketing meeting were never told to me in four years of sitting in college lecture halls. So that's what opened my mind to entrepreneurship. And then I went and started reading the books like Robert Kiyosaki, risktat Poor Dad Right, eventually moved on and read Tim Ferris. It was kind of like the digital version of risktat Poor Dad if you really think about it, And those books started to inspire me to think, Okay, I started thinking entrepreneurially. I knew I was going to play basketball, but after basketball, I don't want to go and do the regular work thing. Because the adults that I saw around me growing up, they looked at work like a necessary evil. They worked nine to five jobs for the most part, and they never talked about work like they were excited to go do it, like I'm excited to get on this and have this conversation with you. We're working right now. But when I would see my parents going to work as kids, they talked about work like I have to go to work. Now, I get to go to work. And looking at that, I figured, well, why do I want to go get a degree just so I can do this for the next forty years. So when I saw the internet as an opportunity where you could kind of make money through self expression for lack of a better term, I said, this is what I want to do. So when I as soon as I saw any opportunity that you can monetize doing things on the internet, that's basically you putting your own personality and your own ideas and thoughts out there. I jumped on it. So that's so my coach, I guess you could say, was the combination of network marketing, Robert Kyosaki and Tim Fair. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 4: And so then you wrote a book called Work on Your Game, And I love the title, and I think most people would kind of get it straight away that the sporting analogy. But working on your own game, You're obviously all over the internet, got a big following. Talked me through the process of writing the book. Right, when did that first pop into your mind? And what came first? Was it the internet stuff about working on your game? Or was it the book that drove the Internet? Which one was first?
Speaker 1: Internet was first. So I started belonging in two thousand and five. Now I never blew up from blogging, but I was blogging and YouTube came out that same year, two thousand and five. So I got on YouTube same year it came out, and I was just putting out content to teach basketball players how to dribble, shoot, how to dounk, how to jump higher, et cetera. And it was around that two thousand and nine time period where again, as I told your phone wasn't ringing. So I started looking for ways to make money, and the players had been asking me to make programs to help them individually. Then somebody gave me the idea just in the YouTube comment, Hey Dremont, you just write down what you do and let other people follow your process. That's where I got my first product. I did, and my products were selling fast. Four dollars and ninety nine cents US. All right, so five dollar products. That's where I started. That was my first product on the internet. It was five hours. Now. As far as the books go, that came about a year. About a year later I wrote my first book, was called by a Game. Is the only book in mind to say narrative. It's actually right there above my ear picture of me right there. That's the only book where I'm just telling the story, like when I first started playing ball up through college. All the rest of my books are personal and professional development such as work on your Game and how I write those books. I mostly write my books on my phone. I type on the phone really fast, and you're kidding, no, I type, I can type really get it on your phone really quick.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And now now Paul, we have the talk to texts things. So now you can just hit the microphone and you can say things and it will write down what you say. Now, the key to that is you have to learn how to talk in a way that it reads properly, because if you just talk normally. For example, we just took the transcript of this and would not go back a book.
Speaker 4: You would have to do a lot of editor And then I'll tell you what, particularly particularly my section, because trying to understand my iris accent from talk to text.
Speaker 1: They pretty good. I think they got it. Nowadays they have the skills that understand it you're talk in English, they get it. But I know how to talk in a way that it reads like a paragraph. Yes, so I've learned by doing it over the years. So these days there's a couple of different ways that I do it. There is, of course, you still have to sit there and take stuff, which I don't always do as much. I usually will do that after so my first draft. Even if I'm writing an article, Let's say I want to write a blog post, I will speak it out into Google Docs. Then I'll go back and edit it to make sure it reads properly. I do that same thing with my books. And also there's a way, there's a process where then I have some of my clients do this where I'll just give them a bunch of questions. I give them like twenty questions about there, whatever the subject is, and I tell them just record your answer to the question in audio, just recorded on your phone or whatever. Send me the audio file. I'll get that transcribed, and then we clean it up to make that into what it needs to be for people who are not like natural writers. And these days, I mean, I don't know how much you pay attention to automation and text stuff, but nowadays they're making it even easier. So writing a book is going to be like writing what's gonna be like posting a tweet pretty soon. So I don't get a lot of them out there.
Speaker 4: I reckon my next book. I might, I might. I might narrate my book and see how I see how they talk to text?
Speaker 2: Does?
Speaker 1: Oh yes you should.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about let's talk about what.
Speaker 4: Your the work on your game is all about.
Speaker 2: Give us the high level overview of that.
Speaker 1: Sure, so work on your game. And I didn't answer your question about the book, but I did that mostly through audio recording it and then just type it out, so work on your game. The entire philosophy the book also is all about taking the tools to help athletes reach the top of the sports world and translating those tools over to the business and professional world to help people perform at their highest chuggle, do so consistently and produce results. That's what we're all about here, is performance, consistency and results.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I actually I talk a lot to corporates about the science of peak performance in the world of professional sport, and I think that business can learn a shitload from professional sport, particularly about sustainable peak performance, right, about not just getting to the top of your game, but actually staying to the top of your at the top of your game, all of the effort that needs.
Speaker 2: To go into it.
Speaker 4: But also I think the big difference I tend to find between professional sport and high level business is the quality of recovery. Right. Yes, if we think about that, right, athletes recover professionally.
Speaker 2: Most business people.
Speaker 4: After a highly stressful week or a stressful day will come home, drink alcohol, eat ship food, and destroy their sleep, right people, but quite a lot of business people, So that's one massive difference. But let's talk about how everyday people can use the stuff that you talk about in working on your camp.
Speaker 1: Sure, and what you just said there, I concur is I have the coaching clients of mind exact issue. They work really hard in an office and they come home and they're going into pantry were they're not supposed to drink, and drinks that they don't want to drink and not stand in shape. They want to stay in So absolutely, and as far as how these things translate, well, we can just take the tools. So the first foundation of what we do here as mindset. And on the mindset we have four pillars discipline, confidence, mental toughness, personal initiative. These are all things that an athlete needs if they're going to make it, and it's the same thing that a professional or entrepreneur needs if they're going to make it. We move from the mindset into the strategy, which is simply a plan of action. What exactly are we going to do? How are we going to do it? Third, is the system. Once we figure out doing these things produces the result that we want, how do we codify it and make a process out of it so we can do the same things the same way. Every time. And then the fourth piece of the accountability slash implementation, which is how do we make sure that everything is working the way that it's supposed to. That includes both the process and the people. And we put those four pieces together and that's our framework.
Speaker 2: Very cool. I like it.
Speaker 4: And let's talk about the mindset stuff. I think I want to do a deep dive on that. So you said there was four things. There was discipline, confidence, mental toughness.
Speaker 2: What was the fourth one?
Speaker 1: Personal initiative?
Speaker 2: Personal initiative. I want to start with the big one.
Speaker 4: Let's start with the D word, right, because I find that that particularly when I work in a lot of health behavior change and you know, people talking about achieving their goals and something that just does not come up enough is discipline. How important do you think that discipline is in terms of success in life in general, whether that be sport, business, or personal stuff.
Speaker 1: Is the biggest thing. And that's the reason why you notice the first that is the differentiator between the people who max out or come close to masking out on their potential of those who don't is the discipline. Because everyone understands the concept of motivation and if you tell someone, hey, here's a motivational message to you, I might listen to it. I don't mind motivation when I can get it. But at the same time, there are times that you're not going to be motivated, you're not going to feel good, and the situation is not you're not getting all the green lights, like things are not working in your favor, but there is still a job that needs to be done. Because the key to being a professional, I mean the definition of professionals someone who does something is their main paid occupation Paulton. If you're gonna do something that's your main paid occupation, that means you have to do it consistently because you're expecting the check to come in consistently. But at the same time, we don't feel motivated consistently. All right, some days we are, some days we're not. So on the days when you're not motivated, what do you do? How do you show up? Do you show up at all? And we have a whole framework around that called the third day. And what makes the professional the professional is that when they are not motivated, they still show up and deliver at such a level that you would not know that they were not motivated that day because their performance is consisting across the board. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I often talk and particularly you can see how this translates into health, right and people's health and their behaviors. And I find that there are a lot of people, and this is both in business and in personal life, who are waiting for the motivation fairy to come along and give them a big dollop of motivation. And they think, when I get the motivation, then I'm going to take action. And I always said to these people, you want the motivation for hery to come take action, because motivation follows action, not the other way around.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: I think there's a whole heap of neuroscience research right now that shows that when you're bring and knows that you're in forward motion towards your goal, that's when it releases dopamine, the chemical of col directed behavior and motivation. So I love the way that you have that interaction between motivation and discipline. But let's talk about the interplay between discipline and confidence.
Speaker 2: Sure, all right, talk to our audience about that.
Speaker 1: Most people, if I ask audiences of just every day people, what internal trait do you want more of? Most people say confidence. They want to feel more self esteem, healthier self in is they just want to feel more bold and more just feel better about themselves, because most people rightly assume that if they feel more confident, they'll probably try more stuff, eventually achieve more stuff, and they can live more life and be more successful. So there's nothing wrong with wanting to be more confident. Confidence is a big thing, and people can feel confidence coming off of you when you have it, and they also feel me you don't have it. The issue is most people don't know how to go about acquiring confidence, go about it incorrectly, doing things like faking it till you make it, which not really a real thing, and I'm sure we can talk about that if you like. But where confidence actually comes from is disciplined. Discipline creates confidence. And anytime you know someone who is highly confident at what they do and it's real confidence, you'll usually if you look behind it, you'll find that they are highly disciplined and the same thing that they're confident in. Because confidence is simply your belief in your ability to do a thing. And where does that come from. Belief comes from your past. We believe things because in the past, for some reason, we have seen that if we do this, we get this. So the discipline of doing the work last week leads to the confidence of doing the performance today. So the more disciplined you are willing to be, and the more discipline you're willing to enforce on yourself if you will, then the more confident you're going to be at that thing. So it's like if you practice shooting the free throws and the nty gym, then you get into the game, you are more confident that you can make the free throws because you know you've already done it. That's where confidence comes from, is having a discipline challenges. Most people don't want to be disciplined, or they don't enact the discipline, or they go about being disciplined the wrong way and trying to force feed it. So most of the time when people are talking to me about discipline, they'll say, well, I just I just need to get more motivated. I just need to wake up early. I just need to make myself go to the gym. I just need to record episodes of my podcast. Finally, I just need to finish writing this book. That's what most people say. Anytime someone starts the sentence what I just need to usually means that they've been trying it for years and they haven't done it, and they just tell themselves, Well, they tell themselves the same thing over and over yet and they end up not doing it. Where discipline comes from the structure. So when you have the right structure, that structure leads to the discipline, because if you just follow a structure or process, then discipline comes out as a byproduct. It's like it falls out of the bottom of the funnel. Then when you're disciplined, that means the confidence, the confidence to performance and the performance to results.
Speaker 4: Man, there's so much stuff that you said that we could just unpot I think there's a couple of big ones up on a double click caf.
Speaker 2: The one that you hinted.
Speaker 4: About process and for me, process beats goals every day of the week. Right, it's the process is how you actually get there. But the other one was about that that fake it till you make it. And really what you were talking about there is confidence comes from trusting yourself.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: It's that if you don't have trust in yourself that you can do it, that there just is no confidence.
Speaker 2: It's all just the fake stuff.
Speaker 4: And talk us through that, just that fake it till you make it and why that just is just a meme that doesn't land in reality.
Speaker 2: Right, there is so much that you said.
Speaker 4: I really want to dive into that whole idea of the interaction between the discipline to do stuff that then gives you the trust that then gives you the real confidence, not the fear confidence. So talk us through the difference of those things.
Speaker 1: Go to the story of Cinderoa. So the story of Cinderoa, she's into the rags and she's washing dishes at home and then she gets the beautiful ball gown. But she gets a warning that when the cock strikes twelve, this beautiful ball gown is going to turn the rags again. That's what fake it till you make it is like. So you can fake it and be Cinderolla, but when a cock strikes twelve, you have to go back to where the rags, go back to who you were. So people need to understand that the subconscious mind takes things literally. So when you tell your subconscious that you are faking it, you're faking being something that you're not. The subconscious understands that at some point this faking must end and we have to go back to being who we true we are. That's the issue with faking it till you make it is that it must come to an end when instead what you want to do is you want to step into a certain frame, step into a certain posture, and become it, rather than fake it and becoming it simply means you're telling yourself that I am this person, not that I'm pretending to be this person. So you don't want to pretend to be something that you're not, because again, there's only some long that you can sustain that, because you all know the human the human being cannot behave in a way that is incongruent with the way that you truly see yourself for an extended period of time. So this is why faking it till you make it is not a real thing. An example that I use is a basketball player. He's in high school and the coach says, today, I'm going to have each one of you pretend to be one of your teammates as an experiment so you all can show each other what kind of player you are. So whatever mistakes you always make, your teammate who is supposed to be you, they're going to make those mistakes and whatever you do well, your teammate is going to do that well, so you can show each other who you are, so you're not hearing it from me the coach all the time. And this random player he gets a sign to be the best player on the team, and the best player on the teams is a leading score. He has a D one scholarship. And this day, this player who gets a sign to be the best player on the team, he goes out and has this amazing day in practice. He's doing moves that he never tries. He's making shots that he never even attempts. His teammates are looking at him like, where'd all this come from? Because he never does this stuff. And what he had done is step into what I call the super you. That's our framework that we use for confidence, is called the super You. And the thing is he did not automatically just magically develop all these skills just because the coach told him to pretend to be the best player on the team, and because really he wasn't really pretending. All he was doing was unlocking abilities that he already had within him. But what he needed was the permission not only to bring out those abilities, but more importantly, there's eighty percent of it, Paul, the permission to stop conforming to being the person you've always been. That's really what confidence is about, is giving yourself the permission to stop being the person that you think everybody else thinks once and expects you to be. The reason many people do not change is and you talked about this a little bit earlier, when it comes to that momentum, right, it's the law of inertia that an object in motion sens remained in that same motion. So if we've been a certain type of person for the last thirty years, is pretty hard to just change that in thirty seconds. It's not that it's impossible, it's just hard to do because we're so used to following our own habits. The good news is that with the snap of a finger you can get out of that. You just have to get into the right mental state to get yourself to change when you want to change. It kind of its kind of like a you know, Tony Raminson, you know when they have he has you walking across the fire, right, it's a mental state. You get into the state. You could walk cross coals anytime you want, but you have to get in the right mental state to where your mind is not defeating you before you step on the fire.
Speaker 4: And lots of this again comes back to trust, and trust in yourself comes from knowing that you have the skills and resources to be able to execute right. So, but let's just dive into discipline a little bit. So I'm sure you have been asked this a thousand times, and if either of us had the one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Feel safe method, we'd be multi millionaires.
Speaker 4: But what can some what can people do to If people say to you, oh, I get disciplined, but I'm just not disciplined.
Speaker 2: How do I bring more discipline into my life?
Speaker 1: Great question? Get some structure. And here's the easy thing about getting structure is that it already exists. You just have to plug yourself into it. So, for example, if someone wants to lose weight, they might get in shape. They've been going to the gym for months and they haven't really lost the weight they want to lose at the paces they want to lose it at. If they keep going to the gym for the next two years, they will probably end up losing that last fifty pounds. The thing is, if they were to hire a personal trainer, who actually knows what they're doing and will keep them on a regiment when they get to the gym, so they're actually working out during that hour instead of sitting on the machine looking at their phone. Then over that, then that that personal training will help this person lose fifty pounds in the next six months. Now, the investment to pay the personal trainer, whatever it costs, what you're buying is not the loss of fifty pounds which're buying is a year and a half of time, because what it took you two years to do it by yourself is going to take you six months with the personal trainer. The trainer is going to represent structure because they're going to tell you what's time to come to the gym, what's time to leave, what to do while you're there, what you can and can't eat between now and the next workout. Now you have structure. That structure produces discipline. The discipline produces the confidence. The confidence produces the outcomes. So that's how it works. Another example of this, the flip side of this is, for example, when we were in elementary school and we saw that a substitute teacher walking to the classroom, we all looked around at each other, the students, and we knew that day the classroom is going to be a zoo. Why is this all right? And so I think every kid for everyone.
Speaker 2: Twenty years ago, when we were at Scots against a.
Speaker 1: Fresh bait right right and Paul Water, we think this. We thought this because we know that the main teacher not being there means the structure is not in place today. And it's not because we were bad kids. But when you take structure away, you get this, You get chaos. That's all. This is scientific law, is the law of entropy. If you're a million, you remove the guard rails and the standards, you get chaos. That's what happens. That happens in societies, it happens in people, happens in any organization. You remove the guard rails, you get chaos. So the kids are acting crazy that day, and the very next day the main teacher comes back to school that you're not sick anymore. And those same kids who we're acting wild yesterday are now sitting at the deskert their hands folded. What changed nothing? The same person is this. Now they have structure again, So now they go back to behaving.
Speaker 4: May I love that you brought the law of entropy into that, and you remove structure, you get chaos. And actually it's worthwhile people reflecting on that, particularly around health behavior change. Right is that that structure and sticking to the structure is pretty key. Let's we talked about discipline, we talked about confidence. Let's not talk about mental toughness. Right that is, that's a word of free is that is very close to my heart. So give us your tick on mental toughness and why it's actually important in both business, sport and in your personal life.
Speaker 1: The way that de fronmenttal toughness is your ability to remain disciplined was me showing up consistently and doing your job and remain confident, putting yourself and your work out there boldly and authentically despite fact that doing all the quote unquote right things has not yet produced the desire or intended result. That's what mental toughness is all about. And this matters because no matter how good you are, how talented, and how well intentioned, nothing in life is ever going to go exactly as planned, and things usually end up going to ride for all of us at different points, some more often than others, or it may appear more often than others, but none of us has complete control everything. Ninety nine percent of life is outside of our control. You want to control one percent of life, and that's just what you do, and for the most part, is just what you think the way you think about things. So mental toughness the way I have to describe it, pauls. Mental toughness is like the security system for your mental health. They are not diametrically opposed. They actually work together. But you are mentally tough. In other words, people use for this are grit, perseverance, stick to it. In this persistence and resilience. You can use them interchange the way. In this context, mental toughness is just about your ability to frame circumstances that are out of your control in I's s a way that it is constructive for you rather than destructive. And when people fail to do that, they allow themselves to become a victim of circumstance. The problem is you don't control circumstance, so anything you allow yourself to become a victim of it starts to control you. And the most successful people out there, they mentally have control over how they see things, even though they do not always control how things go.
Speaker 4: Now, look, I love what you said, and that plays in really nicely. I'm not sure you're aware, but there is a large body of academic research around the concept of mental toughness. And I actually had the mental toughness guys who created this on my podcast and the end it's linked to the older concept of hardiness.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: So they talk about four components to mental toughness. A control orientation which you talked about that focusing on the stuff that you can control, right. A challenge orientation is really lean into challenge and discomfort, right. A commitment orientation right, which then plays into your process and structure. And a confidence orientation that's right, And so you can see those four things really do interact with each other. And I love the way you brought into mental health because in their view, the opposite of mental toughness is not mental weakness, it's mental sensitivity, which is really interesting, right, because it's when people are just mentally sensitive that then can dissuade them from from leaning into the discomfort, from doing the hard stuff right, and they become easily affected by others. Their confidence is affected by other people, and it's not an internal sense of confidence. So I really like the way you put that together and draw the linkage to mental health. When people say to you, I'd love to have more or mental toughness, right.
Speaker 2: What sort of a steer do you give them? Wrong?
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 1: Well, Number one, to be mentally tough, you have to be in tough situations. So you can't become mentally tough very easy. I love it.
Speaker 4: This is the whole thing, right, Sorry to to you know the interaction between that and resilience, and there's so many tap They'll talk about resilience, about self current, self compassion, and I'm like, I bang my head off the wall and I go, that's necessary. But it's not sufficient to be resilient or mentally tough. You have to go through hard stuff, right, You have to have the experience exactly. Sorry I interrupted you, but it's just I really wanted to emphasize.
Speaker 1: Sure. So the good thing about getting into tough situations is that we can do so voluntarily. So everyone's familiar with the concept of stress, but there are different types of stress. There's distress, was the kind of stress that beats you down, makes you feel old, tired, and ten years older than you actually are. Then you have you stress, and you stress, I'm sure you're familiar with it. Yes, ss Yeah, a lot of people don't know about you stress, but you stress is a real thing, and is the kind of is voluntary stress. Is the stress that you put yourself on your own purpose because you believe it's going to make you better, stronger, tougher for the future. So, for example, if you sign up to run a marathon and you never even ran around the blot, that's you stress. You do it, you know it's going to be tough, but you're do it on purpose because it's going to make you better. Or when you go to the gym and lift heavyweights, that's you stress. If you play a sport, you know the coadche is going to make you do stuff that you're uncomfortable with. But you sign up for a personal trainer, a business coach, you know they're going to push you outside of your comfort zone. That's you stress. That's the kind of stress we voluntarily sign ourselves up for because we understand that going through this hard thing is going to make us better. So anyone who wants to be more mentally tough, you need to sign yourself up for some youth stress activities. That will push you outside of what you're used to doing. Now, technically we can push ourselves, but the human being has a self protection mechanism within us. It does not allow us to inflict a certain amount of damage on ourselves. We'll stop ourselves. Whereas your trainer cannot feel that your lungs are learning, so then make you do the extra set when you will allow yourself to not do the extra set so you Stress is best is often best administered through someone outside of ourselves because they can push us in ways that we would never push ourselves.
Speaker 4: And other people in the team, right, you will have noticed that I noticed that another day in my military and military stuff or our training with a partner.
Speaker 2: Training with a group. When you're training with a group, you generally will go further. You lean into that.
Speaker 4: But what I wanted to just explore a little bit deeper on this. You've opened a can of worms here on this. U stress because I think there's a very strong interplay with motivation. So there's a lady I can't remember the name of professor written a great book called Dopamine Nation and talks about the different ways that we can get pamine right, and we can get dopamine from eating lots of shit food, taking alcohol, drinking, drinking alto sorry, taking drugs. All of those sorts of things release dopamine. But what her research shows is that when you do stuff that's easy like that and you're indulging, you get a dopamine hit. But over time, what happens after that dopamine hit is you get a crash.
Speaker 2: You get a dopamine.
Speaker 4: Crash really quite quickly, right, And that's why people reach for more and more and more and more and more. But what she showed, and you're gonna love this, is that when you do hard stuff such as exercise and cold exposure, we know that they both release dopamine, but the dope you do not get the dopamine crash. Afterwards, you continue to feel good and to feel motivated. And she thinks it's been the difference between having to work for stuff versus having it easy that traditionally is humans. We've had to work hard for food, we've had to work hard for shelter, for those sorts of things, and the act of having to work to get the dopamine has a different impact than if we just are handed it or get it easy.
Speaker 2: Right, It's really quite cold stuff.
Speaker 4: And it's that that really importance of you stress and particularly seeking out hard stuff. How important was that early in your career before you became a professional athlete, Like did you have that drive in you before you became an athlete? Because it's really interesting right where people go athletes are they born or are they made?
Speaker 1: Well? I think some are born because they just happened to happen to be immensely talented, and you do have to hit a certain genetic lottery if you want to make it at the pro level of any sport. At the same time, there are athletes I consider myself part of it, this other group who I had enough ability natural ability to where I was eligible. I was above the line of eligibility, but there were might be a thousand guys above that line, but only one hundred jobs. Right, So the reason I was able to make it is because I had the grit, the mental toughness to stick to itiveness, to kind of fight through that group of people to get one of those jobs that not all of us was going to get. So for me, going back in the story, I didn't start playing basketball so I was fourteen. I played other sports but didnt start playing nil I was fourteen. I only played one year high school ball, so no one was expecting me to even make the high school team. Then when I made the high school team, no one thought I was going to play in college. I played Division three college, So even though I was playing, who cares, I mean, you're playing Division three outs. This doesn't produce pro players. It's not like you're getting drafted to the Lakers from playing a Division three college. So even then getting out of college, no one was expecting me to go pro. So all of these times I had to run off my own energy. I had to run off of my own belief and my own ignorance, and my belief that I could pop to be making as a pro athlete. Because it's not like there was anyone or a whole neighborhood of people or a senilar person aside for myself, saying there's a chance that Dre could become a professional athlete. And for good reason, no rational logical person would have looked at my background and said, this guy is going to the next level from the playground to high school to college to that the pro was No one was saying he's going to go to the next level whatever whatever I was playing that So the only reason I made any of those is because of my own I took it upon my own volition to try and go and make it to the next level. And one thing that I'll say in a distance to that pause, there are people who I know personally, even family members of mine, people from my neighborhoods, players that I've just played within schools and seen, who had just as much if not more ability as far as physical tools and genetics to play basketball, whether to play high school, college, or the pro level, but they had no internal drive. They didn't have the drive to actually do the stuff. And I would see them and say, this person has more holes that I have, but they clearly don't want to do it. And what I tell people is that you want to find someone who becomes highly successful need a combination of can do and want to. You need both. Is it if someone has the can do without the want to, they become an underachiever. You have the want to without the can do, you are mediocre. And when you have both, you get magic.
Speaker 4: And you just beautifully free about the last part of your mindset, which is around that personal initiative thing. So just quickly talk us through the whole idea of you talked earlier on about the so the mindset, the strategy, the system.
Speaker 2: We've touched on those things.
Speaker 4: Let's talk a little bit about the accountability and the implementation. So just give people a little bit of a guide around that, because I think accountability is really important in all this stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, going right along what we talked about. When it comes to mental toughness and being pushed, that you stress usually comes from someone holding somewhere are something you accountable at a level that may be above what you're used to. And that's how we make ourselves better. So when people talk about one percent better every day, well, if we're left to our own devices, we usually don't get one percent better every day. So we need something that's going to push us. Okay, can you do a little bit better than you did last time? So you did eleven to pull ups last time? Can you do twelve now? Can you do fifteen?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Can you do twenty? And we usually can as long as we are cognizant of it and conscious of it, we can do a lot more when we're conscious and intentional about pushing ourselves. But again that the human brain tends is default to what we're used to doing, so that accountability and implementation is about having something or someone around us to keep holding us to a standard that we want to get to, whether that means moving ourselves forward, continue to do what we're supposed to do. For some people that's the accomplishment. Just showing up consistently is a thing. For other people, showing up, they got that part down. It's about how do I get better when I show up? So it depends on who the person is and what they want to do. But the whole point for people like yourself and myself Paul as coach, is one of the main things that people come to us for, especially the high performers, is they want accountability. It's not that they don't know what to do, It's not that they don't know how to do it. They want someone who will hold them accountable. Is not going to bullshit them. It's not gonna tell them that it's okay when they didn't do what they told me they were going to do the last time we talked. They want someone whos gonna hold them accountable, like, hey, you're not doing what you're supposed to do. Let's get let's get ourselves in gear and get back on horse and do what we're supposed to do. I find high level performers usually are not looking for someone to tell them what to do. They're looking for someone to just keep a foot in their back, so to speak, to keep doing what they're supposed to do. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, I like to talk about accountability partners, which is what you're really talking about there, because.
Speaker 4: They kind of help you when the motivation of the discipline is winning a little bit. That accountability really does help you to step up. And so me, what would you say, overall, all, like this stuff's have been great, what is the most valuable thing that people get from you, know, ringing your books, attaining your courses, your seminars, those sorts of things. What if I'm to try to pin you down to one thing, what would you say that it.
Speaker 1: Is, Paul, My superpower is my ability to take things that some people may see as complex, and I can break them down and make them simple and digestible for anybody, even if they have never considered the concept.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like that, and uh and I can see just through this this this interview, Hi, that you have actually codified that and created a nice structure and.
Speaker 2: All the things that people need to be successful.
Speaker 4: And I love the fact that it straddles that your system straddles both personal life, business and sport. Where can people go to so this has been awesome. Where can people go to find out more about you?
Speaker 2: Your courses, your books? Because you got an old shit heap of content. So where are we saying people?
Speaker 1: Well, you can go to work on your game. University dot com. So that's where we do all of our all of our coaching, our massimize, our courses, et cetera. Is just all that work on your game university dot com. You can schedule time and get on have a conversation with us. We talk about where you're at, where you want to go, and if we can possibly help you, we'll tell you how it looks cool?
Speaker 2: Awesome?
Speaker 3: All right too? He and socials? What about socials? Where's the best place from a socials perspective? Or do we just want people to go to the university, Well, you.
Speaker 1: Go to the university site. But if you like social media, I'm on all of them. What do you use in most most of these days? Pall social media.
Speaker 4: I gotta say I'm not particularly good at social media, probably Instagram and LinkedIn, and we'll be the ones that I would use, but I would be more linked in. But I know lots of people love YouTube, TikTok, Instagram.
Speaker 2: You on all of them?
Speaker 1: Are I'm on everything and what's interesting? When I found Paul and then you might want to look into this. TikTok has been great for us. I'm knowing TikTok.
Speaker 2: I've been hearing that more and more, right.
Speaker 1: Personal personal, professional development for I don't know, maybe it's just me, but TikTok has been outpacing all the other apps in terms of growth for me over the last month, TikTok has been killing it.
Speaker 4: You know, I had this exact same conversation yesterday with a podcaster. He was interviewing me on a podcast and he said to me, mate, you need to get on TikTok.
Speaker 1: To get on TikTok for us twice. Now you get on TikTok, that's yeah, I have to a third time.
Speaker 3: Then there's something wrong with me, right, yeah, right? This has been awesome. Thank you for sharing your wisdom. I think people will get lots out of that just following that process. But so people, if you want to really enhance your chances of success work on your game. University dot com Drey Bowman, thanks very much.
Speaker 1: Paul, thank you for having me on. I appreciate you sharing your platform