Speaker 1: Hey coops could be back, mate, Yeah, good for some.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, welcome back and happy birthday. Happy sixty fifth birthday.
Speaker 3: Mate fifty five.
Speaker 2: I was not sixty five any birthday presents. And I get the spoilers today.
Speaker 3: That's a sore point.
Speaker 1: Got up and well, last year you're going a paper shredder. I mean who shreds paper? Honestly, And this.
Speaker 3: Year she got she just got me like car washed detergent.
Speaker 1: And it was like, is that for the shower or mate? She just goes like what's that? She goes, Oh, your cars always filthy. She goes your dirty cars, look at the drug dealer's car. I was like, Jesus, think I'm unbelievable. So I was like, oh, what's this?
Speaker 3: And you know, and then it ends up in a bit of an argument. Anyway, it's rumor day.
Speaker 1: But hey, on a different thanks, mate, I've got a bond to pick with you. By the way, yesterday the Titans were just flying. We hit halftime, Jayden Campbell playing the game of his life and honestly, I don't know, I don't know if you're working for the dragons. But let's just have a look at book. What took place this one. Yeah, yeah, I felt so bad, mate, I felt so bad. And there's this one from last week that was horrific, and of course this one, Coops, the beauty made unbelievable.
Speaker 2: You know, coming with excuse singers on your birthday. You'll be working on that all weekend.
Speaker 3: I'm ready to go. I'm ready to go now today.
Speaker 1: The Adam Dewey situation, Coops, it's been ongoing.
Speaker 3: It's been the big story the last four or five days. You know, if we go over, we don't recap it again.
Speaker 1: First we came out these head walked out of training because he didn't want to play, you know, a bench slash thirteen year roll.
Speaker 3: Everyone was saying they had to be more than that. But then Brett Comorley came out and said he had to experienced his interim coach there before.
Speaker 1: Another said he was making a statement about the culture of the club. If you're going to make a statement of the culture of the club, I don't think you walk out and leave you yeah, leave your teammates and the look yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got no idea. What is real? What is not? It's not a good look for Adam himself to Benji and three of the Tigers. Generally speaking, they had a meeting today and apparently he's back in at training. What would I do in that situation. Look, in the early parts of my career, I was only a young kid. I got asked to play multiple persons, right, So even if it happened at the back end, even if you don't like it, you get a little bit of arrogant about yourself and you got yes, coach, I will do it. And I would have gone out if I'm out to do it and been the best player in that field in number thirteen. Yeah, I would have tackled myself to a standstill, would have carried the ball. I just would not have taken the easy way out. Now he stand out for something maybe years, but I feel like he to go through that pain and that hurt to have more respect in that team than stepping off sideways. Just be really hard for him to walk back into that club and be part of the team.
Speaker 1: Well, firstly, in the thirteen role, let's face it, he wasn't going to play the Bradley Clyde Talmalalo thirteen role, which was just the meta reador thirteen in these days takes on many forms and a lot of it, like the Isaiah Yeah role, you're a lot of mostly first receiver and so look, I I've said this a couple of times, but I've seen Adam places schoolboy and he's always been a bloke who's been stuck between positions a little bit. But I've always been the belief that once he starts to thicken out that I thought his best spot would be thirteen. I think you've been outstanding thirteen, but that's by the boy Roosters and Storm. You've been in some really strong cultures, you know, Teams Club's big leadership. Does he walk back into that dressing room.
Speaker 2: Really hard to like. I think even Benji's got part of the problem here too, Like there would have to be a lot of getting the information out there in front of the group, but just being about Adam, like, yes, it would struggle. I would be at the point of there's a door, don't let a hitch on the way out. That would be my personal reaction. Now, if I'm Benji and he's coming back saying apologies or whatever and sits in front of the group, If I'm Benji Marshall, I'm picking him at thirteen again this week. Absolutely and see if what he does, because then the Tigers are in a they're in spiral mode, both performance wise and reputation wise. He wouldn't have lasted in the cultures I was in. But if there was some type of coming back to the fold, I'm putting him straight back into thirteen saying let's go do it together.
Speaker 1: And we can't walk back into the club and go into a meeting and come out winning one hundred nil, Benji without a shadow over doubt.
Speaker 3: If you're not coming through the news, if you're not coming through the New.
Speaker 1: South Wales Cup, we're on the bench, we're in seven or six, you're playing thirteen, and.
Speaker 2: He's probably the best seven at the club. Like he is right, and he may have taken a hit and the ego about it, But put the ego on the back door and go on, like I said before, just go and prove Benji wrong, Like, have a little bit of arrogance about your performance. Not that it's selfish. I'm talking about just a bit of swagger and confidence and go improve people wrong and then to walk out they get beaten fifty, then to walk back in and say sorry. If I'm Benji, I'm putting him back into thirteen.
Speaker 3: Javan andrews By.
Speaker 1: That kid had to go down there with a lot of pressure on his shoulders side that was in the spotlight and without the best side around him. And at the end of the day, he deserves to play seven with the best team around him, and it's impossible.
Speaker 2: It's hard being a rookie seven. We have seen so many good kids come into our game and be part of a bad team for the first year or two and struggle to be the player they expect they had been at schoolboy level. So you know, I think this is a mess and there's only a couple of people that can truly fix it, Benji and Adam, right, But then this whole Tigers and where they are it has to be play led because benjis just thrown himself out in front of everyone, the media, and that these players need to respond because you could say that Adam playing thirteen watch watch Benji wanted he would have been a much better middle defensive player than any other of those middle defenders Tigers delivered on the weekend. The way they played there was gaps, holes, lazy efforts everywhere, and maybe that was why Benji wanted him to play that we don't know that, but yeah, they're in a mess.
Speaker 1: The last couple of weeks, could just you draw in your own experiences, in your own dressing room experiences to expect or to sort of anticipate what to expect from a side who's underreversed like that, and both the last two weeks, I've anticipated that Tiger's really came out and make a statement and they'll be worse.
Speaker 2: And if Adam's trying to improve the culture, you know, the standards you walk past or the standards you accept. Right, So instead of like you know, pitchfork in the ground and exiting, how about you clip the guys for not doing the work in the gym, clip the guys for not doing the efforts of the extras after train. That's true leadership. True leadership is having strong conversations and accountability and getting changed that way, not just tools down. I'm out.
Speaker 1: The other one too, Cooper is Jerome, who's going there next year. It's been well documented, documented and a lot of people saying, well, now it's now Benji looks to the future and Jerome gets dropped.
Speaker 3: It can't do that to the young, to the young siety. In my opinion.
Speaker 1: With young Andrews and all these other young players in the side, you need Jerome there to drop your most experienced bloke and say we're going to plan for the future.
Speaker 3: He does know any help getting flogged every single week.
Speaker 2: And that's why I find this whole situation bafflely. Like, if I'm Benji Marshall and I'm want to make your career out of coaching, I want to make the Tigers great again, I wouldn't have let Jerome Lui go. Like he's the only guy really that's achieved a lot over a long period of time. What he did at Penrith. There's a lot of lessons that he can pass on to Andrews. Right, and now Dewey might be out. Is the next crop of young halves at Benji has, are they truly going to be the guy that deliver ten out of ten performance most weeks for Benji to because if they're in this position next year, Benji's under threat. So there's a lot of a lot of dominoes to play out.
Speaker 3: But I just must have made it.
Speaker 1: Honestly, it must hurt when you're paying your best, like five hundred thousand dollars to Western Sydney rival to take him that next year. It's great pick up for Paramatter. People are saying, oh, one you deal made, he'd be great for Paramatter. He's going to partner with Moses, can help those young guys come through a bit of success there possibly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and hopefully for Tigers fans there's light of around the tunnel. But we've been saying that for ten years out Tigers coops.
Speaker 1: This season competition at the moment, it's shaping up a bit of a survival of the fittest.
Speaker 3: Isn't it.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing about it, isn't like through a There's so many important factors in winning a competition. Yeah, you get the in the preseason or your you know your fitness work, you're talking about all your tactic work, you're reading in your attack, your defense, all your principles, but made at the end of the day, sometimes you know one of the biggest factor can be Oftentimes, just like as far as injury, your season can fall apart on a tackle gone wrong.
Speaker 3: Sindos Mosis.
Speaker 2: Look at Newcastle, i'man Brown and Lucas calen Ponger still not one hundred percent, but Newcastle had done all the right things up until this point, sitting seventh. Now there's a question mark whether they can get to September because you take Dylan Brown and Lucas out of there. With Kaylan he might play this weekend, might not. Now all of a sudden they're vulnerable. They have done so much good stuff this year Newcastle Knights to turn around what they did last year and as you said, luck two of their best players gone down in the space of a couple of minutes.
Speaker 1: Last like the last three weeks coup not just injuries. They've lost by two points, the week after two points and against the Rooster's a point.
Speaker 2: But they were scrapping through a couple of those wins prior to that. The two points are two points, so like they were doing a lot of things. Now now Dylan Brown is more than two points of that team, like he is Dylan Lucas. It's more than two points of that team.
Speaker 1: It's funny he went in Dylan Brown when he's had a partial two of the ACL and it's gone, so now he has to go and get the full operation.
Speaker 3: It hurts, has no doubt about that.
Speaker 1: Big opportunity for Fletcher Sharp, huge opportunity, but.
Speaker 3: He gave the six and he and Kaylen's side.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, and this is the story of the Nights before Dylan Brown arrived and Sharp was available. Last year, it was all wherever Kaylen is, double team him, force someone else to win the game. Right, So now defenses are going to do exactly the same thing. But all the good stuff that Caylen was doing was because Dylan Brown was doing a lot of good stuff in the past between to help him with the space. So I think it's going to be a real challenge for Newcastle to get September now, simply because I think teams will double team Klein from here on out.
Speaker 3: Daniel two po to shoulder reconstruction.
Speaker 1: Look will need surgery. They're going to try to rehabit. I hate for this the way to end for Dinial.
Speaker 2: We've seen a number of players over the course of the last ten years shot of pops out do a little bit of rehab, strong enough to get through that others it comes out at any time. So it's literally a flip of a coin for.
Speaker 3: The World Cup.
Speaker 1: Two yeah, may gus t what now game TEDSCA. There's still elements of the Rooster's attack, which is really inconsistent went to disco in one second.
Speaker 3: It's interesting, that, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Like you got I'm looking at the Rooster's attack and you know it's just you know, you can have great sets and all of a sudden, you know there's little bits like I was thinking about what trying to work it out in a lot of ways. You know, DC and Semmi Walker are both very unorthodox reactive halfbacks, you know, and.
Speaker 2: They moved they moved sideways first, yeah, straight.
Speaker 1: And you know they're unpredictably, un predicabarly. Sometimes can really work for you, but other times it makes it difficult for teammates.
Speaker 2: But we look at the game last week against the Melbourne Storm. It highlighted the importance of Tedesco, like they had enough field position, enough attacking sets. But when you don't have halves that engage the line consistently enough, defenders just sit there and slide off and count the numbers. There's one thing that adds spark to the Rooster's attack is Radley playing at thirteen because he is arrowed straight with his first touch, he'll always engage the first couple of defenders and then when Todesco gets the ball, everyone's worried about Todesco running freaking, and that causes defense to do things.
Speaker 3: Some of the things you did just completely nothing.
Speaker 2: He gets first receiver in around midfield and then he's got the ability to get a couple of passes wider, so he'll attack you from anywhere. And he is absolutely key because if the Roosters haves don't engage the line or play a little bit sideways before they should, Bradley in Tedesco are the two ones that will take the line on.
Speaker 1: Give me some insight in to Disco as far as like you know, you get certain guys to train.
Speaker 3: He's had longevity. I don't know how any games you must be closing in all three hundred.
Speaker 2: Well, if you go back to his Tiger's days, he had some big injuries, yes, to the point that you thought, well, is he really going to get to the level of the potential? And I've got no idea about the Tigers set up at that stage, right, But he arrives at the Roosters the same time as me. You've got Trent Robertson and Travis Tumor at the time, like guys who really put a lot of time effort in preparation and he professionalism from what I understand, went through the roof. Now all of a sudden, he's hardly ever missed a game. He's thirty odd something getting better to the point that most people slowed down at the age that he's at. If anything, he's held his level to a point that he's staying with it because he has twenty carries a game, so he's getting the tough carries in the yardage when he gets around midfield. He's sort of reorganized how fullbacks play. A lot of them. Keanu Kinney was doing it yesterday where they either get first receiver off the fifth play either little shift to crap momentum, or they run to quick play the ball for the kick to happen on the on the last play, but then they're still throwing the cutout past the winger in the red zone and Tanasco's doing it all.
Speaker 1: Cheers that photo I saw of him as a young player at the Tigers to what he is now, he's a big.
Speaker 2: Across the ass.
Speaker 4: Ye like, who's the biggest threat to pens roosters, wires, Sharks, Remember.
Speaker 2: Penrith are the biggest threat to themselves. To start with, I think if if they get complacent, if they just have a slight percentage off their best, they will come back to the field. So I think they're in pole position. It's this time of year, having been a player through an Origin series thereabouts. No one will ever admit it, but you do dial it back. You're like, I just need to get through the next couple of weeks and then I'm going to set something. I can tell you right now. All the best teams maybe next week or the week after call it. With four rounds to go, they will all start setting south for September. But if you are to ask me, who's the threat to Panthers, I still think the Warriors. The Warriors have their game consistently over the course of the year. They're a good defensive team, a great completion rate. They've got some sparking attack. We've seen them against the Warriors. I think they play in a couple of weeks time, which is going to be a cracker. They can mix it with Penrith, right, I think the Roosters have the game style and the threat, but can they deliver it against Penrith. Their record against them's poor. The Sharks, on the other hand, well they're playing with a hell of a lot of conference. They seem to be the only team that's actually going in the right direction at the moment.
Speaker 1: I mean, you got your Braden Trindle and nickol I think both of those got both of them in the top five triasists for the season.
Speaker 2: Put Brayley in there, who is really bamboosly.
Speaker 3: In the middle of the fields play.
Speaker 2: I agree like he's try under the post that he should just watch that over and over again. Why because as soon as he gets a ball, he goes fast at the inside shoulder and just strong carry through the bill and beats a couple of bigger defenders. But they've got their own Penrith don't have any issues, right, They've got history of performance, They're confident at the moment. The Warriors, they've got the game style. But Fisher Harris is the guy that I think is most important to that.
Speaker 3: There's the thing with the Warriors is I'm really curious to see what.
Speaker 1: Happens in a couple of weeks, As you said, a couple of things on the Warres they will match or even you know, beat out Penrith in the artist battle.
Speaker 3: You know, with those young.
Speaker 1: Forwards and the powerhouse and you know they're boostle like dal and bringing up early tackles.
Speaker 3: Mate, They're just they're so strong. It's what they do with it. Coop.
Speaker 1: You know, this is this is this is the challenge Tomorra and Chanel you know what I mean that that that's that's that's the real big one until Picky.
Speaker 3: Now with the foot injury, we can see how serious that is.
Speaker 1: And I must say, it's the first time this season the other night, Coop, and I understand, like just what you're saying.
Speaker 3: You know, it's it's a little part of the.
Speaker 1: Season where everyone's sort of tread and water a little bit, particularly in that if you're in that top four.
Speaker 3: It's the first time this suason against the Dogs. I thought they looked tired. The Warriors.
Speaker 2: Yeah they did, Yeah they did. Yeah, I agree with you. The Bulldogs have beaten Melbourne at the stage was a good performance Penrith and the Warriors, and they've done it the same way now. They've done it through line speed, aggressive contact, real high end fitness to keep up and down and annoy the opposition's attack. But then they played not like I've seen the Dogs play with the ball on the weekend, like they were fast, Like normally they're methodic. They moved the ball around to their points in the field, but they were getting out running quickly. Stephen Crichton like he is the best center in the world, but he's becoming a very very good five eight just simply because he's got the confidence. There was a couple of kicks that, look, it's not elite kicking, but it's all right. But he's got the ability to tell people what to do. He knows the game plan, and he's got kick Out and Burton around him, and he knows how to use them up.
Speaker 3: That's the key. Big strong edge back rowers.
Speaker 1: They could have a lot of short comings with your ballplayer.
Speaker 2: And the other thing that Crichton has allowed it's allowed Galvin and Preston to get back together again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's they're playing really strong football the moment. And you know I said on the show last night, is they actually recognize their identity. You know that that like its defense at the end of the day, and don't put you know, don't work so hard in an attack or try to prove so much in attack. You know that you're coming up with theres and putting pressure on your strength. And again like at the end of the day, if you look at the Sharks, I'm sorry the Dogs. This great run they've had the core of it, it's been their defense.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the Dogs are the only team that could jump into the eighth Yeah too. So the Dogs are in ninth on twenty four points below them Manly Raiders Tweet two everyone else from there, you put a line through them. The Dogs have a chance if one of those teams South Knights of the Cowboys and twenty six points slip up. Yeah, the Dogs have just made a statement of the performance against the.
Speaker 3: Warriors and the Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Tommy didn't foot Nancle injury, which there and he is one we just spoke about him.
Speaker 3: Do he well done to Jake Clifford could.
Speaker 2: Have done the same thing, could have done, have done exactly the same thing.
Speaker 3: Unfairly dropped in my opinions that I thought that was really tough.
Speaker 1: And Toddy did on it, and guess what he did on the weekend just mate just went out there, pit down and got on with it. And particularly like with Jake when he did it, I was really surprised that with Todd because Jake to me is the sort of player that confidence and self belief doesn't come easy.
Speaker 3: Some players just roll with it, doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: Jake doesn't appear it takes a bit to get his confidence up. I thought, oh, he's going to react to this made him wingch just got on with it and came back and was sensational.
Speaker 2: He did two things for me on the weekend. Jake Clifford that I think he needs to be in the hars for the Cowboys going forward, like Purdue, probably has some more upside if didn't comes back in. He is at seven right. But Jake Clifford some of his long.
Speaker 3: Kicking games exceptional.
Speaker 2: It turns of average set into a good one because of the depth of his kick. He scored that try before halftime. But the bigger play he chased down I think it was Rys Walsh took the advantage down the sideline and Jake Clifford didn't stop and watch. He took off and tackled him into touch. So that point around him being dropped. I thought, oh, that's unfair. But he didn't spit the dummy out. He didn't go to the coach and say I'm not playing this weekend. He took his medicine he got his chance the next week and it's just repaid the cowboys Todd paint that says he will be in the outside from here on out.
Speaker 1: To finish with the one of Yandi about the Melbourne storm and we saw Harry Grant with a hamstring injury. Look, Melbourne mathematicians will tell you something different, but Melbourne went.
Speaker 2: They're done. They've done. I thought if they had to win last week it sounds but they're done.
Speaker 1: They are entering, in my opinion, Coop, the most challenging era since they came to the company.
Speaker 3: Ninety eight. They came in, you.
Speaker 1: Know, historically they've had a production line of talent just coming through.
Speaker 3: I don't know where they are at the moment.
Speaker 1: Give an idea, you know, I mean five years ago Sunshine Case Falcon Side had Tina nick A, Ryan Papenhous and Harry Grant in it, you know, and then the East Tigers the other affiliate, you know, Billy Walders and Scott a drink Water and they've just had so much coming through.
Speaker 3: I don't know where they're at at the moment. On top of that, you've got the monster situation.
Speaker 1: Who could be they've given him the ability to negotiate with P and G and the Craig you know, the Craig Bellamy era coming to a close soon.
Speaker 3: Firstly, do you think Monster will go to P and G? Do you think you'll leave Melbourne?
Speaker 2: You have to ask the guy that hosts this through sixty show that we're on Fox, Ley Logan. I got no idea. I'm very surprised that it is an option.
Speaker 3: I was, yeah, I was, really I was.
Speaker 1: I was really surprised by how Frank Craig was after the game, just said it gave you my blessing.
Speaker 2: Which says that it says that it's more likely than not lot Unlike, if that makes sense, this is a strange year for the Melbourne Storm, Like, could you envision that Craig Bellmeo the course of his coaching career has only missed the finals once because of the salary cap year, and in potentially his last year coaching, his team's not going to make the finals. I think it's because of two things. I think One, we've spoken about this before on the show. Losing back to back Grand finals mentally hurts very, very hard. You can get yourself back off the canvas after one, but after two, like it would take a lot of resilience and a lot of mental strength to be able to do that. So I think that hurt them at the beginning. And then the second part. Melbourne Stem have always based their success around defense, right, and the two crucial parts around a good defensive team is the back row position and the center. The reason why the back row is crucial because it connects the middle forwards to the edge and if that back row defends well, that determines what your edge does. And they've had inexperience in the back row position all year. Good players, but inexperience, and then you move their center position. Well, the reason why that's crucial is they're the ones that make the decision we're either going to go outside in and stop the ball or we're going to go backwards and lay off. Yes, they've had inexperience in those two positions. So the fundamental the basis which they've built on has always been Grant Munster hues. But they haven't been able to influence the center of the back row position like they have previously.
Speaker 1: And what accentuates that even further is the rule change the six again and how fast the rucks are.
Speaker 2: They were still playing sideways at the early part of the year, which hurt them. Then when they caught Fiums started playing well, Harry Grant became their best player.
Speaker 1: But even defensively coop like you know, you were just talking about the edge of defense there and they make a defensive misreads.
Speaker 3: Now, if you.
Speaker 1: Can solve the you can of those problems a lot of times from the inside out, if you know what I mean by controlling the speed of the play of the ball and slower and it Melbourne have been the greatest side we've seen rapidly history be able to do that. They just because these current rules and six again in the speed of the ruck, they just aren't able to do it. Craig Bellamy's final coaching season, you think it will be.
Speaker 2: Ah, Look, a couple of years ago I sort of told Craig that he should retire, like that was my advice, and ten years ago was not because he has to more, because there's nothing else to prove, right, And he kept coaching, kept coaching because he'd loved having influence on young men about their football career in life. And I think he gets energy from these young guys right now, all of a sudden with his health situation, I would encourage him to go on because you know, being around young guys with energy, like he still gets something out of it, like it's motivating. So I don't think like if he's he should stay on coaching, right, whether it's head coach or some capacity. I don't think the Melbourne Storm are going to walk away from him. But I'll tell you what, Like if he had have thought that this is his last year, it's a last year that he would not play finals, and then the record he's got against Wayne Bennett, and Wayne Bennett was a coach to basically put the nail in the coffin for him when he didn't play finals. It's been a strange year for the Melbourne Storm on a number of fronts, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Be right, you know what to what do blakes like Craig Bellamy and Wayne Bennett do if they're not coaching?
Speaker 2: Well, ask Wayne why is he still coaching? I guarantee this because he likes positive on that note
Speaker 3: Means make