Speaker 1: I got a Champs. I'd be good. It's a Sunday afternoon, as young Kelly Smith joins me on the U Project couch, well not really, the U Project Studio, the Virtual Studio, the world of Ta and Y and p hi kel.
Speaker 2: Hi Graig, How are you going?
Speaker 1: I'm going good. How has your weekend been?
Speaker 2: Really good?
Speaker 1: Really good?
Speaker 2: Lots of catching up with people, lots of gym, lots of walking. Just got caught in the storm, which was a bit of fun, a bit of fun dodging.
Speaker 1: All of that. Yes, it's been quite biblical, the weather, it's been quite I've been out most of the afternoon building an arc, like just in case I want to cover all my bases. You know, one hundred and eighty cubits long and forty cubits high. Do you know what a cube it is?
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: Have you ever heard of that term? Cubits? No?
Speaker 2: No, I haven't, No, really no, what is it?
Speaker 1: Nobody needs to know this, but I'll tell you. So. It's biblical measurement in the Old Testament. Of course, when all of my lists have just gone up in biblical references, they've all gone Oh God. So in the yes, literally, oh God. In the Old Testament when Noah's building the arc. I can't remember exactly how long, but it's something like one hundred and sixty or one hundred and eighty cubits And a cubit now, of course this is variable, but it's from the elbow to the fingertip, so obviously that's going to vary a bit person to person. But it's kind of a ballpark unit unit of measurement, and that's how that's how it was measured in those days. Height and width and length was in cubits. See, nobody needs to know that because now we've got centimeters and millimeters which are much more accurate.
Speaker 2: But a cubit could be fun, I think, because you're always going to be right because it's based on your cubt.
Speaker 1: Wonder how many cubits tall you are? Well, yeah, right, m Well it's easy for like, say you had to measure your fridge up and you're going the Good Guys to get a new one. Might be difficult getting down on the floor to get you well on the floor, and you might look like a bit of a dick in the showroom at the good Guys. They're like, what are you doing? I'm just checking the cubits of this fridge. Oh it's four and a half cubit soon you. Oh, you're welcome world. That's me on a Sunday afternoon. I'm done, all right, everyone, it's been great. It's five four, three minutes. We're done. There we go drop.
Speaker 2: That was a cubit sized podcast today, done one cubit.
Speaker 1: How long was the podcast? It was one cubit from my elbows to my fingertips in terms of time. What are we talking about today? You ran something, you sent me a message and you went, what about this? Then I went, yep, let's open that door because I think I think it's broadly relevant, which we try to be broadly relevant.
Speaker 2: Well, I hope it is. So for a bit of context and anyone that's heard me on here before, I do have a certain level of anxiety at any given time, and so since being back from my holiday, it's been there. And it's either you know, about a nine or about a two, but it's there, and me being me, I like to ask questions and i'd like to know why. I'd like to give it a name or a label and then fix it. So I've been listening to a few different things, And a consistent theme that's been coming up is the power of positive thinking and whether that is believing in yourself, having a bit of a mantra, having something that you write down actually saying it to yourself, which I kind of think that's a bit it's a little bit out there for me at the moment, but there's a lot of conversations I've been listening to where people are saying it actually works for me. If I, you know, wake up in the morning and the first thing I think is today I'm going to have a great day, then that thought kind of that outweighs our ship what could go wrong? And I just wanted to really get into that and is it something that can be powerful and what else is behind that? Because I feel like, you know, for someone that lives with anxiety, like thoughts are very powerful, but then there's also action, So how do they kind of correlate what could be stronger? Do they do? They kind of outweigh each other?
Speaker 1: So like, what is it? What is it? Yeah? Is positive thinking like oh, life's great and it'll be great and I'm great. Well that's delusional thinking, that's not positive thinking. So I think, yeah, I think positive thinking is for me, And again this conversation about I actually would not what the technical definition is. But I don't think there's a single definition because it's really a subjective interpretation. But for me, positive thinking is not delusional thinking. It's not pretending that things are always going to turn out great. And you know, life's just an ongoing Disney movie with unicorns and fucking puppies and marshmallows. But you know, life's a shitfest at times, and life's beautiful at times. But I think positive thinking is more about can I manage my mind in a productive and positive way in the middle of things that might not be so positive? Yeah, So in the shitfest, or in the mayhem, or in the unfairness, or in the sadness even can I be the person that copes And I don't always need to thrive. Sometimes I'm just going to survive. Sometimes I'm treading emotional and psychological water, and I'm just trying to keep my metaphoric head above the ocean of shit that's going on around me. So I think that, you know, positive thinking is a convergence of managing our mind and our energy and our emotions and our choices and our self awareness where we are recognizing that things are not always good, or in the moment, we might recognize right now, well, this is a catastrophe. Like for example, I don't know why this came to mind, but you know, when the crab died in the gym, my training partner. If you haven't heard this, and I'm sure most of you have heard it too many times, but like in the middle of all of that, my arm and by the way, I'm not saying I did a great job at all. I'm just saying that in the middle of that, all I could think about was how do I fucking save him? What do I need to do? What's going to work? What do I not need to do? How's the best way to manage this? Blah blah blah. Like everything for me, in the middle of literally somebody dead, literally everything for me was focused on a solution. Everything, like all of my energy, all of my intellect, all of my resources, everything. And I think probably just as much good luck as good management, if I'm being humble and honest, because it could have turned out very differently. But for me, I think being in that moment where the shit's like, it doesn't get any worse than someone dying in front of you. That's it. That's the worst day you're ever going to have. Is your friend dropping dead? Right? What are you doing in the middle of that? And then we can if we go, well, that's a ten, that's a ten. It's probably an eleven out of ten, you know. And then but I think that you know, that's at the extreme end of the scale. But I think it can be. It can be that. It can that be that kind of self management when awareness and regulation of self management of the mind and choices and state. But it also can be all right, well, things aren't going well, and this is not what I wanted to happen. In fact, this is a minor catastrophe. How could I reframe this? So I'm still acknowledging what's going on. I'm not pretending it's good because it's not good. It's not good. There's something bad going on. But it doesn't matter if I run away or I turn the other way. It's still going on. So how do I reframe this? And I might go, look, this is bad, but there are a lot of worse things that could happen. That's a reframe. A reframe might be this is bad, but potentially I'm going to learn something in the middle of this. And I know that sounds cheesy, but I've said this many times and it sounds like a cliche, and I apologize in advance. But for me, it is literally true that the world is my classroom, and that every person that I meet, everything that happens to me or for me, or despite me or around me, everything is a potential lesson. Now, am I always a good student? Of course not. But if you navigate the world through like remember, we all navigate the world through our own lens, right, So something happens, Kelly goes, oh, that's a minor event. Craig goes, that's a fucking catastrophe. Even though we are looking at the same thing, we're seeing an inverted com is something different. That is because of the lens through which I view it and the lens through which you view it. And the thing is that if you think it's a minor speed hump, your stress response is are one. If I think it's a catastrophe the same thing, my stress response is a nine. And neither of those respons are about the thing itself, but rather Kelly and Craig's individual and unique response to the stimulus. I know I'm getting deep and I'm trying not to be too, but this is that, you know, it comes back to how well can I manage my mind? And so I think positive thinking as a concept is a small part of something much bigger, and it's like, you know, it's but it's a great conversation starting point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think too, it's also down to like, maybe that is just someone's actual starting point, the process of going okay, well today, rather than waking up and thinking, God, what's going to happen? Is what going to be awful? Is that person going to be there? Is someone going to criticize me or offend me? Or is it just as simple as waking up and going today might actually be good? Like is that something that would be a legit and its starting point in the management of the mind.
Speaker 1: I think a great way to manage the mind in the moment is not to project at all about what might happen today or what might not happen. You're in bed and you're already thinking about hypothetical future problems, right, that's bad. I'm in bed and I'm already thinking about the bad things that could happen. Maybe today that are not happening. Now, what's happening now? Well, now I'm in bed and it's fucking comfortable, and I'm warm, and my little toesies are under the dinner and life is brilliant. But what I'll do is, rather than being in this moment, I'll immerse my physiology in some projected future, bad moment that probably won't happen, and I'll take myself out of the carmen into the chaos or with my own little mind. Again, they mind management one oh one. But that's that's awareness one oh one. Like you think a lot of people, especially people who reach for their phone before they get out of bed, the fucking central nervous system is going nuts. Their fight or flight responses triggered before their feet hit the floor, before they're out of bed. They have already, through their own behavior, stressed themselves. Yeah, so this is where we start to think about objectively, as much as we can be objective. Does my morning protocol serve me or sabotage me? If I'm being brave and honest and aware, it doesn't work? Okay, So don't hate yourself, don't immerse yourself in self loathing. Just go hm well, picking up my phone while I'm still in bed and scrolling and worrying and projecting and thinking about potential future catastrophes is actually me getting in my own way. What could be better? Oh well, maybe I don't even take my fucking phone into the bedroom. Maybe it's down the stairs, in my case, downstairs on the kitchen bench. And after I've had a shower, shit shave, shampoo and jujed my hair, of which there is none, I go downstairs and I turn that motherfucker on thirty minutes after I've woken up, and I'm like, oh, completely different relationship with that thing, and completely different start to my day, and completely different state that I am in by the time I turn it on, or by the time I start to pay attention to things.
Speaker 2: So you know, at the moment, there's people that have created these little tiles and they stick them like they stick onto your fridge or wherever you want to put them. And the basis of these tiles is that they lock your phone from certain apps, And so if you really really want to get into one of those apps, you have to physically go to wherever this tile is, scan it, and ask you a couple of questions and then it lets you into the phone. And yeah, So obviously there's a lot of people that are in this position because these things wouldn't be created if people had that control over their mind and their reach for their phone, for instance. So there's a booming industry right there that's literally helping people with that control.
Speaker 1: Do you know that is? Firstly, I didn't know that. Thank you for teaching me something to me. That is somebody who is and I don't blame them, somebody who is exploiting our inability to manage ourselves. Like, here's the thing. If I said to you, Kelly, next time you open Instagram, Like, if you open Instagram anytime in the next what's the app that you use the most? Can I ask? Is it Instagram? Is it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Probably?
Speaker 1: Okay? So if I said to you, Kelly, have you got a cat or a dog?
Speaker 2: A cat?
Speaker 1: Okay, if you open Instagram anytime in the next seven days, your cat's going to drop dead thirteen seconds later. I know this is a ridiculous example, right, you would have zero problems with self control, absolutely none. Like if that was a and I'm being silly everyone, of course that's going to be fine, right, But here's my example. If in some parallel reality that concept was real. In other words, if you open Instagram in the next seven days, there's going to be a dire consequence. You will have absolutely zero issues with self control, with discipline, with motivation, with focus, You'll have no problems because there's a very significant, undesirable consequence. Now, what that example tells us is that right now Kelly has the ability easily to not look at ig for example, Instagram, for example, for the next seven days if her mind is in the right place. Now, what takes it in this example, Oh, a dire outcome like something that I love being harm Oh, So what does that tell us? It tells us that right now you have the capacity, not soon, not one day, not like you need a pill or you need an app or you need a fucking tile on a fridge. It tells us that you could do it right now. This is that potential. That's what I'm interested in, and that you know that kind of why do people wait until they get sick to all of a sudden they've got all this fucking self control, self restraint, focused, discipline, willpower. And the reason is because now they are so scared of dying or being sick or something catastrophic happened to them. That that that notion of oh, this is optional, that goes this is not optional, there's not no this is compulsory. This is absolute. This is completely fucking non negotiable. So I'll shut up after this. So then you think about, like a thousand times people have told me how disciplined I am, right, usually because I train every day. Oh, you're doing your Somebody told me, like, I don't know, two or three days ago, I can't believe how much stuff you do. You work full time, you're doing your doctorate, and you're at the gym every day. Like you're so focused, you're so bloody inspired, you're so all of these things. And I'm like, I'm actually not. I'm actually not that disciplined because I like going to the gym. Discipline would be going to the gym. If I didn't like it, It would take me more discipline to have a week off. And so it's that when you identify the behaviors that, for you, Kelly Smith, are the behaviors that align with who and how you want to be, and then you can turn those behaviors over time, not quickly, but into hardwired habits or hardwired normals in inverted comments like these are normal. This is not me being motivated, this is not me being good. Oh look at me, everyone, I've eaten a fucking salad. Here's a photo on Facebook. Please tell me I'm amazing. All that bullshit is toxic and it's disempowering, not empowering, and everyone thinks, oh, yeah, go, you go you it's kind of good. I get it. I understand the sentiment, but let me tell you, it does not help people build resilience over time. If every time we do something which is just it's not outstanding for you to eat a seal it, that's just what you should do. In this example, if you need a round of applause or a trophy or a cheer squad just for not being a fucking idiot with your body, then we're in trouble. You know what I'm saying. And this is why real resilience and real mental toughness and real self control and real focus and attention, which eventually turns into real change is Nellie always about what we do when no one's looking, when no one gives a fuck, and when no one's cheering. It's so easy to be good in inverted commas when you've got a cheer squad. Show me what the fuck you're doing when there is no cheer squad, when it is not fun, when it is not comfortable, when it is not painless, because they are the times where you are becoming the fucking weapon. That internal transformation doesn't have happen in the spotlight. It happens in the shadows.
Speaker 2: That actually leads me to something else that I wanted to ask you about as well. And again, just you know, I've been filling my brain with all these different podcasts and interviews over the past probably seven to ten days, and I was at the gym and this is when, you know, I get kind of like my moments of clarity and my moments of bravado, and I'm like, I'm going to text Craig and I'm going to see this is the question that I want, And here I go. And what the phrase was is that everything you want is on the other side of hard. And I thought, okay, but what is hard? Like what does that mean to individual people? And what is it to actually work towards get through know that you're on the other side of it, particularly when you can kind of frame it as what you once thought was hard, you've got to that point and it's not hard anymore because you've been putting in all the work. So that kind of shifts. And then is it you know, is it that the what's the saying? You know that the journey is the destination, So therefore when you're working towards it, that's you know, you're you're either building your muscles, you're training your brain, you're getting fitter. Yeah, that really fascinated me that it was such a blanket statement of everything you want is on the other side of hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Also, you've got to remember these memes and cliches and expressions are that they're not They're not universally true for everything in every situation. I mean, there's a lot of you know, there's a lot of beauty and joy and awesomeness right where we are right now, and maybe that came through toil and pain and hardship, who knows. But as a concept, I think there's a lot. I think there's a lot of truth in it in that, you know what, most people who are listening to this, I'm going to be presumptuous, but I think I know my audience pretty well, and I think a lot of the people who listen to this want growth and improvement and change, transformation whatever they want to. As I always say, think better, do better, produce better, create better, make better decisions, produce better outcomes. All of that is development and evolution and growth. And I think if we try to analyze evolution and growth and development, where do those Where do those things happen? Or they happen in the middle of the doing, and generally the doing is pretty or it can be tough and uncomfortable, or in the context of your question, it can be in the middle of the hard. And as you quite rightly point out, it's like, yeah, maybe it's not just on the other you know. It's like you go to the gym, you work hard, you do that three months, six months. The net result is you build muscle, you improve function, you improve range of movement, you lose body fat, you change your body composition, and now your body looks and feels and functions better than it did. And now you've got this reward on the other side of the three to six months that you just put in. Beautiful, that's a great example. Now my body works better looks better, feels better, recovers better, sleeps better. All this shit that is a byproduct of doing the hard right. So that's a physiological outcome, But what is also true is what's what's acquired and what's achieved in the middle of the hard, Like, well, here, yes, I did all of these things, and I changed my body, But guess what else. I changed my thinking, I changed my default setting, I changed my standards, I changed my capacity to deal with hard stuff. I built my resilience. I've built my knowledge and confidence and awareness in this environment that I wasn't very confident in. And now I walk into the gym like a fucking gangster. Six months after I crawled in and I didn't want anyone to see me right, and my self esteem was through the flo And it's not like now I've got a fat head, but it's like now I know that I'm okay, I know I'm not useless, I know that I'm I belong there, and I feel so emotionally and mentally there's been this shift as well as this physiologic of this observable outcome that is my body. We could say that with me doing a PhD, it's like, sure, I've spoken about the term all the academic and psychologic and emotional and sociological turmoil of the first year or two for me, where I felt like a total fraud, and I may have even been one and not not anything enough. Right, But now you go, well, fuck Craig. Six years later, surely there's been some growth. There has There has, And it's not because I'm special or great. It's because I just kept showing up. And now am I a brilliant academic? One hundred percent? Not? Am I a way better academic than I was? Yes? Do I understand things that I did not? One hundred percent? Do I have more skill and knowledge and context than a different perspective? I absolutely do. Oh how did that happen? Just lucky Nope, just kept fucking showing up doing this hard thing, you know, and then you come out and you go, all right, cool, doctor Harp's fantastic, that's nice, well done, good fur ego. You know, Melissa's looking forward to booking me air tickets under doctor Harper, which is fucking hilarious, and all of that's very nice. But really what is great is kind of the internal stuff that I've gained, the confidence and the understanding and the knowledge in the awareness and the increased capacity to serve and help like there, and it happens during it. And yes, they're on the other side of in this case the PhD or the previous example, six months in the gym, which hopefully becomes forever in the gym for most people. Yeah, there is a reward on the other side of hard, but I think there's also a reward in the middle of hard. I don't think we need to put it. I don't think the benefits are you know, exclusive to post event.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think that there's And this is why I wanted to talk about it with you, because I don't think that there's a point of it being final, like for me and I know for a lot of other people that I talk with and who I listened to, it's it's constant the work. So therefore the concept of hard, it just keeps shifting and it's what you interpret hard to be. And I feel like if you're constantly looking at it like, oh my god, that's so hard, you're never going to get anywhere. But if it's just okay, well, I'm putting in the work, and as you say, I'm showing up. Then that idea of it being hard becomes, as you say, like you're default, like you're just you're existing, You're doing, you're doing what it is to be you, and the constant growth and the constant learning, and that's yeah. Again, that's why I wanted to discuss it, because it just I remember listening to it and I thought, that's just such a blanket statement that I actually didn't agree with. And it's not often that I will listen to things and go, you know what, like, I don't agree with that, and who am I even say I don't agree with it?
Speaker 1: But I just thought, you know, okay, stop right now. You you're thinking, and your opinion, and your is just as valuable as any fucking person. Be it Oprah, be it doctor Phil, be it me. I'm not putting me in that category. But you know this is the thing, like you, I'm not saying this just because we're here. I think you know this. I think you've got a brilliant mind. I think what gets in the way of your brilliant mind is your fear. And I feel like I'm coaching you now, but you know that this is not a revelation. And I think I think I hope you're comfortable with me saying I think you doing these shows with me where we've I mean this with complete respect. Just got a regular human just sitting and asking me stuff. Right, you being the regular but gifted, brilliant human. Right, this is hard for you. And let's go full disclosure and full vulnerability. Last time we did one, at the end, you're like, I think I was a bit shit. I'm like, you definitely weren't shit. But but that wasn't the best one we've done, right, and so but it was fine, it was fine. But how do you get great? Well, you start by being not great, you know, and it's not great compared to it's great for Kelly, or it's great for Craig or this is me, you know. And also think about this, like if we have asked the world famous just recently invented right now, Craig Harper Hard scale, the one to ten, let's go the one to seven like art scale, the Craig Harper Hard scale, and we go, Kelly, how hard is this thing for you? It's just a subjective rating, and you go, oh fuck, that's a seven. That's a seven. I'm like, cool, So let's go to work, and let's keep doing this thing. Let's develop whatever the thing is, let's get better at it, let's understand it, let's try it different ways, let's let's let's invest some time in it. And then then a month later you're doing the same thing. I'm like, Kelly, how hard is this for you? Now? You go three and I'm like, oh wow. And then I come back, you know, three months down the track, and I go, how hard is it now? And you go, It's not hard at all, Like it's a zero, it's not hard. I go, well, what do you mean? See? Because hard, like, nothing is hard until there's a person in front of it describing it. Yeah. You know, there are people that go through shit which I'm like, how how on earth do they get through that? And they get through it, and it might yeah, it might be hard, but it might be a too hard for them two out of ten, or it might be someone else at fifteen out of ten. But the thing is, you're your understanding of hard or we could say difficult or adversity or painful, or they're all kind of first cousins in the adjective kind of fucking world. We go your relationship with that or your perspective of that changes when you're different. Yes, what we're saying is this is not hard. Categorically we're saying this is hard for me. Ah ah, okay, like lifting one hundred whatevers easy. Oh not for that bloke, For that bloke, it's impossible. For that bloke over there, it's super easy. Or for that girl this run is a piece of cake. For that other girl or lady, it's impossible. For Kelly, it's solid. So things are whatever they are to us, you know. So when you go this is scary, the truth is this is scary for me now, but it might not be scary for me in a month. Or this is heavy now, but if I train, and I use progressive overload, this scientific principle I eat well, train well, recover well, use my brain, this heavyweight will not be heavy for me soon, despite the fact that it's a constant and I'm the variable. Oh fuck, Kelly, come on, come on, brothers.
Speaker 2: And then suddenly we're building like either the you know, the physical muscle or the mental muscle, which is exactly what's happened for me during all of this. So yeah, and I did come off an episode with you and I thought oh my god, like I've just actually messaged Tiff and I went, I think I just shit the bed, and she goes, what the fuck are you talking about? And then I listened to it back and I thought, no, okay, yep, well I can I can learn from this and I can see what I can do differently, And that was that was good. It was good for me because it wasn't just you know, here I am and you know I'm wonderful straight out of the gate. It's no, this is it's a constant evolution of learning and growing. And I guess the idea of positive thinking comes into that for me because I'm really I've said it many times, like I'm really enjoying doing all of this, and then it comes to a few other things at the moment it's like, well, how do I flip my thinking so that I'm enjoying it just as much and I'm bringing the same enthusiasm and slowly chipping away at that going you know what, like, yeah, I was terrified the first time I put it out there, of you know, hey, can I come and ask you the questions? And it's now just having I guess that is it bravado to just kind of go in every other situation, Hey, can I just step into this space whether I'm ready to or not, and just do it? And you said to me recently, you know, here's a thought, just do it scared, And that's really stuck with me. And so the idea of just doing it scared is it's actually bringing some and you know you won't be surprised by this, it's bringing some results because I'm just you know, just dipping my toe in there saying, you know, I'm not ready, but if I wait to be ready, I'll never be there. And then, you know, to go back to what we were just talking about, everything will always seem hard if I don't give it a crack.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, And if you if you are not, and I'm talking to you and our listeners, if you are not doing hard things pretty regularly, then there's a fair chance that you are being controlled by, if not at the very least limited by fear. Right, A lot of the things that I need to do to get where I want to go and do what I want to do are not the things that I want to do, especially initially, because what I want to do is I want to be comfortable. What I want to do is a cake what I want to do, you know what I'm saying. It's like if it was just about what is comfortable for me or familiar for me or easy for me, which of course is the preferred option general, But there's no you know for me, there's no growth in that, and there's no you know. And it's not that every day has got to be this day of it's got to be every day. It's got to be a day of bloody conquering mountains and striving and grinding. And you know, I've said I happily have fuck all days where I do fuck all, achieve fuck all, and you know, all of that's great. But I think for the most part, most of the time, most of us who are in this personal development you know, growth mindset kind of human behavior space where we're really thinking about what we do and why we do it and how we are and who we are, most of us want to be evolving, you know, or at the very least eliminating shitty behaviors that hold us back, you know, eliminating not all You're never going to eliminate all self doubt and overthinking, but let's turn the volume down on that shit. A little bit, and and you know, realize that like every podcast that I do, every podcast there are, if I went back and listened, the reason I don't listen is because I don't like listening. I've I would say, I've listened to one podcast in totality of my own, like start, Finish so, and there's over two thousand. I don't listen because I don't love my own voice. I don't like my own voice just like everyone else. And I just find too many things wrong with every fucking episode. But I realize that there's no bigger It's like when people criticize me, I'm like, try harder. There's no harsher critic of me than me. He can say whatever you want. It's like you think, you think that I'm like I And it's like sometimes people like you're a dumbcunt. I'm like, yep, sure I agree, and then they've got nowhere to go. I go, you are right, or you fucked that up. I'm like, yes, I did you got that wrong? Yes I did get that wrong. And I will get more things wrong and I will fuck up, but I tell you what, I won't I won't give up. That's it. Like I'm not giving up. So you can say all the shit you want to me, but you cannot hijack my brain. You cannot, you cannot kill my spirit because that's just me wanting to keep doing what I'm doing, and that is optional. So all the names, all the criticism, I don't love it, but I've had it. I'm used to it. Fortunately these days we're wh're got the wind behind our back and we've actually got more people that like us than don't, which is thanks, by the way, Thanks, that's nice. You know, there's more niceness than nastiness, but that you know, ability to go, well, I'm scared, and that's all right. This will be hard. I don't kind of want to do it, but I'm going to do it nonetheless because i want the outcome of what doing that hard thing brings me or I think will bring me. And this is just I think this is just part of the being very very grounded and practical about how growth works. Like how growth works is it's fucking hard the end. Sometimes it's not so, but a lot of times it's fucking hard. It's uncomfortable, it's inconvenient, and they are all things that people don't want. Then as I've said a hundred times, a thousand times, that's the dichotomy. On the one hand, people want to change, grow, learn, evolve, get better. On the other hand, they want to stay comfortable. Fucking make a choice, bro.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's where all the hard work comes in or not, depending on what choice you make. I'm going to ask you something that might be a bit of a out there philosophical question, but I think it goes hand in hand with different levels of managing your mind, and that is, what do you think of manifesting? And I asked this because I had a conversation with someone recently who very strongly believes in the power of manifesting their thoughts. And I said, well, explain it to me, Like, do I just have to think that I can do something? And like if I think on it enough, if I really believe it, then there's kind of a possibility that will happen. And he said, no, no, no, it's actually knowing that you can do it. It's actually visualizing yourself with what it is that you want. And he has quite a successful business that's released many different products, and he said, I wouldn't have what I have without inherently believing and knowing and almost picturing in my mind's eye me doing that and having that and building that and working towards that. And I thought, whether or not that's true. I found it really inspiring that he had that belief in himself and was obviously putting in the work. But it was the work going hand in hand with the belief.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so belief by itself will do fuck all law of attraction manifesting. If all you're doing is sitting on the couch thinking, knowing that you can be successful while not doing any work to be successful, it doesn't work. So the key there is that you said that he did the work, that he made decisions. Now, really, what I think you're talking about. What he's figured out is that self belief matters. So he believed he could do it before he did it. That's good. I like that. Most people almost need to do it before they have any self belief. But I think if you can, I mean, and of course we need this to be logical. If I know that I can run a two hour marathon, well I'm elluded because I cannot run a two hour marathon like I think. Then I think this inspiration and this self belief needs to be moderated with logic and strategy. But you know, speaking of you know, back to positive thinking. You know, I can do this, I can do that. That's positive thinking. And if this dude spends time sitting on the couch thinking these things. But also I'm not against that by the way people think I would hate I don't hate that at all. I think, fuck yeah, you know. But and this is why we need to go. When I was about to say to you, what do you mean by that, because I can't tell you what I think of something that hasn't been clarified. But when you explain it that way and his process, see, here's the difference between a lot of law of attraction. And this is just my understanding. Well, and maybe this is wrong because I've never done a deep dive, but it kind of sounds like at times that some people are saying that we focus on it, we belive that and it will come to you ergo attraction. Well, I kind of think for the most part, we've got to go to it. We've got to go fucking chase it, find it, grind it, build it, create it, and then inhabit it. You know, like I could have sat downstairs in my studio. I'm upstairs in my office right now, everyone thinking I deserve a successful podcast. And the first podcast that I did, the Australian Fitness podcast, didn't work, and then the next one that I did didn't work. If we're talking about being a successful commercial enterprise, didn't work, and then the next one didn't work. And then the you projects started two years after the first go right two years and then two years later, So that's four years of podcasting. I'm still not making money right. There's no fucking law of attraction there. This is me just working like a motherfucker, trying to learn, trying to build something Like you need to go to it. I think you need to be the what you need to be the one going to rather than it coming to you. I think a bit of both. But yeah, I think if the mindset stuff is only mindset with no action plan, with no behavior, with no courage, uh, it's it's ain't going to produce anything. But if you have that, you know that law of attraction, positive affirmation, whole thing going on and by the way, not mad at it at all, and you have that kind of that is intertwined with strategy and logic and work and courage and effort and consistency, then you can do something special. I think it's part of the puzzle or part of a solution. It's not a solution on its own.
Speaker 2: No. No, And even in just you know, explaining it to you just then, it was it just absolutely light bulb moment of No, he's actually doing the work as well as believing in himself. So when you were just mentioning that you started off with two other podcasts before this, did you always believe in yourself that it would go somewhere or were there moments that you were like, oh my god, what am I doing?
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a very good question, so I'm going to be very specific about my answer. I always knew that I could. I didn't know that I would.
Speaker 2: Okay, I surround that for you though.
Speaker 1: Well, I knew that I had the ability and the talent. Well I thought I did, and I thought I had that kind of personality and people skills. And it's not like, wow, look at us. Now, We're in fucking nine hundred countries and we turn on six million a month. Right, So I'm just a shitkicker in Melbourne who's got a pretty good podcast. Right, So that's it. Let's not get too ahead of ourselves. But I was, by the way, I've been sure about many things and been wrong. But for what it's worth, I was sure that I could do it, but I didn't know if I if it would happen. Like I'll give you another example of things that I know that I could do, but I probably never will. So I've done bits and pieces of Telly, as you know. So I worked on Channel ten for a while, a weekly gig, and from when I started that, people like, oh, you're good on Telly. Telly, Telly works for you. You're going to end up doing TV. And to be honest, it wasn't like a driving passion of mine. It just ended up where every time I did TV, nearly every time, I got pretty good feedback and I'm like, well, maybe I could do this. And then I got offered to screen tests for a pilot for the ABC called The Life Coach, and so I flew to Sydney and I did this whole pilot program, or I did recorded a show. It was a pilot and it was with myself and another lady. I was kind of the lead, kind of I guess driving host and she was like a co host. But great. I think there was about seventy people in the room, live audience. Blah blah blah. Went great, It went really well. And a production company was doing it for the ABC. And this was kind of like my interview, like a high level interview like camera's light's action real. It was recorded as a real episode. And even I came away thinking in fact that I did Alright, that was pretty good. That was like my natural habit, that's me doing that. And then I came away from that and the people that you know, they're like, that was great. It's not a matter of if, but just when thumbs up every like slaps on the back obviously never happened, right, and so things like that. Where do I know that I could do something like that? Yeah, well do I know? I don't. Well, I did one, right, I'm pretty sure I could do I think that will I will ever get that opportunity? No, I don't do I think I could talk to ten thousand people at Rod Laver Arena for three hours and do a good job. I do I think I could do that? Do I think I will ever do that? Get that chance? Probably? Not right, So that's not me being egotistical or me beating myself up. Do I think I could go and sing for a hundred people and be good? No? Do I think I could do all the shit that Melissa can do with tech? No? Do I think I could do stand up comedy for half an hour and be funny? No? Because I'd shit myself and I'm too fucking terrified. Right, Look, maybe I could. I don't know. But like, there are things that I'm pretty sure I could do that I will never do and that's okay. And there are things that I didn't think I could do that it turns out I can. That have been a gift and yeah, it's like I think and all of that's okay. It's like I'm gonna be good at some things and terrible at other things and yeah, cool, Like yep, it's like we don't. Well, you don't have to be good at everything. You can be a complete fuck up and still a great human. Oh yeah, Kelly can't sing for shit, but fuck I love her. She's hilarious and awesome and she's my friend. But she sings like a fucking cats, you know.
Speaker 2: Or whatever, it's true, I do I do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or you know, like I've got friends that are really smart but not fucking funny at all. I'm like, dude, you are a genius. Please don't tell a joke like stop, You're not fucking funny, you know.
Speaker 2: I put that in the same category like that awareness of I probably could, but it's whether or not I would. That to me is kind of like not having the answer to everything, and I find that a really humbling thing as well, Like there's i'd heard it said, you know that one of the most intelligent things to say is I don't know when you actually don't know something, rather than trying to fudge it. And I experienced that at a work event a few weeks ago where someone he was presenting he was asked a question and just immediately said, I don't know the answer to that yet, but leave it with me and I'll come back to you. And I just thought, well done. And he came up to me afterwards and I said, you know what, like, if you had have tried to have made something up on the spot, they would have eaten you alive. So it was so good for you to actually admit that you didn't know the answer and actually get them on side and say I'll come back to you, because then you've also got the pathway open to reconnect with them. And it was nice to be able to say that to somebody in that space and have them like he responded with, Oh, okay, great, I'm glad that it was viewed that way. But yeah, that sits up there for me, that you know, knowing what you can do without having the ego intertwined, and then also admitting what you can't do. I think that both of those things are really powerful one.
Speaker 1: Hundred percent, and also how exhausting is it? What an emotional and psychological burden having to know everything like no, I don't know. I used to, as you know, I did a lot of radio. I would get asked questions all the time on radio, and often generally they are about an injury. It was usually a medical question, and to be honest, quite often I thought I knew the answer or I would give them. I would answer in a way where I wasn't giving them a prescription, but I would have to say, I'm not a doctor, I'm not a physiotherapist, I'm not a surgeon, so that the actual answer is also, i've never met you, also, Brian, I haven't seen your knee, right, but based on what you're saying, it could be this. But the actual answer is I don't know. Yep, the actual answer is I don't know. And also even if I was a surgeon or a doctor me assessing something via the radio without seeing you, meeting you, looking at your knee, doing any kind of testing, you know, And and yeah, but I just think that you know, we're all we're all a bit brilliant, all a bit broken. The more the more authentic you can be. And I know that's an Ivus term, but just fuck it. It's like it's too like trying to be everything for it and trying to be like the idea of like for me. Just like saying you don't know, not only is it the right thing to do, it's also well what else would you say? It's like, of course you don't know, Like of all the things there are to know, I'm speaking for myself, of all the things there are to know, I clearly know less than point zero zero zero zero one percent of the things that exist in the world that I could know about or know of or understand or have it. I don't know, Like of all there is to know, I essentially know nothing all I know about. And even then this is self awareness. Even then the things that I know in inverted commas, nudge, nudge, wink wink, I find out I was wrong. So I didn't know it at all. I just thought I knew it. I thought I knew the food pyramid was the best way to eat. I thought I knew how to get to heaven because I grew up. Firstly, I thought there was a heaven. May or may not be not sure. That's me being brave and honest. Part of me still feels guilty. I thought I knew the best religious protocol and operating system because apparently I grew up in it. I didn't know anything. I just thought I knew. And this is the distinction. This is the awareness of going, actually I don't know, because he's here. This is a brain fuck that we think, oh, well, here's what I know. No, no, no, no, no, here's what I think I know. What you absolutely one hundred percent no chance of being wrong. What you absolutely know is probably not that much. What you think you know. What you're sure you know is probably a lot. And it might turn out that a lot of what you think you know you're right about. But also because you're human and because you're flawed, and because you get shit wrong, it turns out there's probably going to be a fair percentage of the stuff that you know that you actually don't know absolutely.
Speaker 2: So when did you get comfortable with being wrong? Because that's something at the moment for me that like I've spent and people closest to me, will you know, tell you that I think I know everything, and you know, I'll argue until I'm blowing the face, no it's this, it's this, it's this, and then I go, ah, shit, it's not that. And I would normally just kind of let it for a long time, we'd just let that go. You know, I fought so hard thinking that I was right about something, and now I'm learning how to be comfortable and saying, actually I need to apologize because I was wrong about that. And I fought really hard to get my point across on something that I thought I was right about when actually I wasn't. So when when did that happen for you? Like being comfortable with either being wrong or just not knowing.
Speaker 1: I used to get a lot of my sense of self worth from what I thought I knew right, And so when when being right in inverted commas, when being right and knowing in inverted commas, is intertwined with my identity. Right, Oh, I am a Catholic, I am a Buddhist, I am a Mormon, I am a whatever. I am a vegan, I am a democrat, I am a Republican. I am a Carlton supporter. I am I am these Literally, we're describing ourselves. We're going, I am a not I believe in this or I think that we're going. I am These are statements of identity. Now, when your identity is intertwined with an idea or a belief or what you think is absolute knowledge, of course you're closed minded. Now.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a cult though, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Well, if you question my knowledge, you question my identity, and who the fuck are you to question my identity? So the moment that you question the thing that I unequivoc believed to be true, my knowledge, then I shut down to you because you don't agree with me. You're not in my echo chamber. You don't support my confirmation bias. You're the enemy. Not only you, the enemy. I hate you now And that sounds drastic, That fucking that is how the world works to an extent. Look at the hatred. What's the hatred about? It's about division, It's about you think A. We think b where the one true whatever you're not, and the other groups going no where the one true ever, whatever you're not. So we think we are the most evolved species. We are the most stupid, fucking yet intelligent, shut down, emotionally fucking crippled species of all time. Like especially now, it seems to be there's more. I'm probably gonna get in trouble for this, but to me, outside looking in and inside looking out, there's just more stupidity and ignorance and intolerance because everyone thinks they're right. I think if your starting point is I know that I'm wrong a lot, and I'll probably get things wrong today. And even though I strongly believe this, and the best example I can give, which I've given many times, is, you know my belief in God, which, depending on which lends you look through, that could be considered completely irrational. And if somebody said, Craig, that's completely irrational, I would say to them, I respect that. If somebody said to me, Craig, I'm with you, I'd say I respect that, right, because this is just what I think. Like, if I could prove that there is a God, I would now have unequivocal, absolute data evidence knowledge. I don't, So what I have is faith. By the way, don't look at me as any kind of role model for any kind of faith, because I'm the sweary motherfucker who has the U project, So definitely don't pay attention to my model of religion or spirituality. But look, I think.
Speaker 2: I have far more faith in the sweary people than the people that you know pretend to be otherwise, because it's just been so dishonest to say, nah, no, never swear.
Speaker 1: Oh well, I've been around a lot of religious people who trust me, swearing would be a big, big, big, big improvement on what they actually do when no one's looking exactly But you know, don't. One of my pastors used to say to me this, and Christians will get this more, and I think my audience will get it too. But he's like, even the devil knows the Bible, right, the devil knows the scriptures too, right. It's like, yeah, it's like you can read stuff, you can know stuff, you can It's like you can know every you can quote the Bible. You can, but it doesn't mean that you're living any kind of particular life one way or the other. It just means that you've memorized some shit, right. It's just like, Oh, I own a tracksuit, that doesn't make me an athlete. I have a gym membership that doesn't make me strong. I have a degree that doesn't make me smart. What I do with the degree makes me smart. What I do in the gym makes me strong. What I do with the knowledge that I get from the Bible, or the inspiration from what I do with that might make me a godly person or not, or a good Christian or a good Buddhist or a good fill in the blank, whatever religion that you are, whatever your faith is. It's like, yeah, this is you know. Knowledge on its own is inert and we need it. We need it, but just unless it's operationalized. It's like I don't want to I don't want to piss anyone off as we finish the show, but I think if our listeners will being big and brave and bold, and because I have done this and you have done this, how many of our listeners have heard information or inspiration or ideas over the course of their listening experience on the You Project and nodded their head and gone, fuck, yah, that's me all got to do all and then not done it everyone, every listener and the bloke who's talking right now. So you know, it still comes down to like knowing stuff is good, but what you do with what you know is actually what counts.
Speaker 2: Goes back to what you said before, and it's what you do, and no one's looking.
Speaker 1: Correct correct, Well, you did way better this time. I probably shouldn't give you an elephants stamp on air, but fucking two elephant stamps for you.
Speaker 2: Fantastic, thank you.
Speaker 1: You should get an elephant stamp tattoo next to all your other tattoos.
Speaker 2: Oh look, maybe I don't know where i'd put it.
Speaker 1: It's getting a bit fure underneath. Put from harps.
Speaker 2: Well, can you draw me one? And then I think about getting it tattooed.
Speaker 1: I will draw you. I will draw it on the whiteboard. I'll take a photograph of it, and then if you get it put on you, I will pay for it.
Speaker 2: Alrighty, let's do it. I'll contact my artist and we'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: Challenge accepted, all right, all right, we'll say goodbye affair, but Kelly Smith, good work you. I'm going to give you I don't I don't want to give you two high score because I want you to stay hungry. I'm going to give you an eight out of ten so you've got room to move.
Speaker 2: Well done, fantastic, thank you,