Speaker 1: Bobby Capuccio, Welcome back to you project brother, how are you all right?
Speaker 2: And welcome back to the self help and to do it.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to both of these. We hope you well everybody.
Speaker 2: So welcoming environment. I think we're off to a good start.
Speaker 1: Have we started. I think we're both standing at the starting line. I can't say we've moved too far forward. It's nine oh four as we record on a Thursday morning in the thriving metropolis.
Speaker 3: And what is it in San Diego?
Speaker 2: Is it living metropolis of San Diego? It's sixteen five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just about just five minutes past four.
Speaker 2: This is super early for us in that it is it is us.
Speaker 3: It is early for us.
Speaker 1: So one of the things that people don't know about you is that you've got a You've got a good little well some people don't. You've got a great little that sounded condescending. You've got a great ig page called the self Help Antidote. So if you don't follow Bobby, he's currently at three five, three four, let's see if we can boost that up to four thousand followers in the next day or three. Have a little bit of a listener and a follow but anyway, I want to work through some of your thoughts that you share.
Speaker 3: So I'm just going to so here's the protocol for today. If you're right with that, I'm.
Speaker 1: Just going to share something that you've said, and I want you then to just riff on that for one, two, three minutes. And I like this and this will be relevant to speakers, want to be speakers, workshop facilitators, anyone who gets in front of a group and you said, the last thing your audience feels is the first thing they remember. So kill the Q and a session at the end of your presentations and finish with impact. So but I like all of it, but I really like the first part. The last thing your audience feels is the first thing they remember.
Speaker 3: Where did you learn that? You did that become evident? You know?
Speaker 1: Did you just become aware of that by doing that? Did someone teach you that and tell us about that concept?
Speaker 2: I think it's a little bit of both. Like we've talked about this before, where when you are you are working for someone who or they bring you out and they don't do presentations themselves. They have a lot of ideas about what creates a great presentation and a lot of those ideas, unfortunately are false and they don't resonate with the audience. The audience isn't going to remember necessarily every bullet point or the data that you shared, or like this specific reference or scientific study. Not saying that all of that stuff is not important because it's it's empowering, it's a specific takeaway, but all of that's predicated on how did they feel. Like everybody's had the death by power point to experience where it's like, oh my goodness, all right, slide thirty seven excellent. By the time he gets to thirty eight, I'm going to pick my pen up off of this table and stab myself in the left eye. Versus where you've gone to a twelve hour event and you're energized through most of it. Because of how you feel and how you feel one it determines how likely you are to even implement anything that you're sitting through. And it does affect memory and retention and all of that good stuff. But at the end of the day, people are going to remember, how did I feel in that session? Was was I inspired like this? This week, I was doing a debrief and one of the things that came back in the evals where people like, oh, I really love the book references because I want to go out and explore some of those books. That's a win. Somebody felt something and then as they felt something, they heard something that inspired them that they can learn more, or they can have more, or they can be more as a result of the content being discussed, they're going to leave there and go investigator on their own. You might have created a lifelong learner in that session. That's one of the highest outcomes. So it's not like, oh wow, like these three points that I'm bringing in, there's no way they're going to get through these three points anywhere else. I mean, it's not like we have anything where you can go watch seemingly unlimited amount of high quality videos being produced and you can access that for free.
Speaker 3: And finally we had that Yeah, you and I should shot something.
Speaker 2: It's almost like a TV for you, like a YouTube. You know that somebody should do something about that.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: So maybe we should invent the internet as well. Go on, I interrupted, kick going Internet.
Speaker 2: That sounds amazing. We need to talk about that. Offul lone.
Speaker 1: Okay, I here, let's let's let's shut this down because we've got a lot to get through, but maybe just one momentute. I'm thinking, as you're talking, I coach a few speakers, and I know you've helped speakers over the years and continue to educate and inspire and all of that.
Speaker 3: But it's such a good.
Speaker 1: Point because when we are, when speakers are or people who are going to be in front of a group have to present in inverted commas or share two minutes introducing someone, or they tend to be so obsessed with remembering stuff or their content, or you know, is this a good is this accurate, is this good science? Is this relevant to this group? And all of those things matter, But you might have the best content in terms of you know, this is it's all scientifically valid and relevant and all of these points are salient and it actually is representative of the audience. But if you're not building connection and rapport, if you're not touching people emotionally, if there's no story, there's no humor, if there's no engagement, despite the fact that the content is good, then one you're probably not going to get another gig as a speaker, not with them anyway, And two people are going to walk away from that feeling uninspired despite the great content.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I mean, if you're a subject matter expert, you're diving through that stuff every single day. And I'm not saying you don't have a structure, having a structure, knowing where you're going to go and an idea of how to get there, and being adaptable that it might not work out that way based on what's happening in the audience. All that stuff is important, but if you're doing that stuff every day, it's a matter of letting go and connecting with the audience first and foremost. I want to answer your question about the Q and A because when you take a look at emotional impact, there's two factors, two variables. There's primacy and recency, right, Like, what does that mean? What did you open with? What did you end with?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Right? So those two things set the stage for how much they remember and how relevant and engage they are emotionally and mentally in every bit within the middle. And imagine going to a rock concert and it's like they come out, they do this amazing encore and everybody's on their feet cheering, and then it's like, Okay, well we're gonna do a Q and A. Now any questions, and guy in the fifth row is like, whoa, how do you keep your hair like so long and wavy? Could you tell us about like some hair product recommendation. You've just killed the energy. That's That's where I'm walking back to the car thinking about, rather than that was an amazing finale to that concert. It's the same thing. It's not that I'm against answering questions, just where do.
Speaker 3: You do it?
Speaker 1: Do you know what would be even a better a bitter story for that is, like I say, they say, come out, They do an oncre they plied back in black, They ply you shook me all not long, They ply bells, they walk off stage and the audience goes nuts, and they come back and then they play a brand new song that no one's ever heard.
Speaker 3: That's shit, and then they say thanks very much, see you later. You know.
Speaker 1: It's like people like everyone was just euphoric and now they just walk with through the car park to their car with their head in their hands, going what the fuck was that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That's that. That's a beautiful analogy. Actually, all right, they want to do that would be because they would test that prior.
Speaker 3: Okay, next, So this is all from Bobby's page.
Speaker 1: I've got like quite a bit on this, but I'm just going to read the headline, Clarity beats clever how to actually reach people? Now, I feel like this is in the same ballpark as where we just were, But I like that clarity beats clever.
Speaker 2: I feel like I have, like anyone who knows me like nos, I probably have no business talking about this. That's like me talking about like brevity versus something else. So a little bit hypocritical. But just here's a question. I'm going to ask your audience who is John Grinder or Richard Bandler? And I'm sure a good portion of your audience knows exactly who those two gentlemen are, but a greater portion of your audience has absolutely no idea who they are. Now, have you ever heard the name Tony Robbins? H I would be astonished if there's someone out there going Tony who? I think? Yeah, does he work at the corner shop? No, he's a household name. If you wanted to learn about let's say NLP, for example, would you go to a Richard Bandler workshop or a Tony Robbins workshop? Most people would say Tony Robins. Where Richard Bandler and John Grinder are the founders of neurolinguistic programming, and they probably understand have a deeper understanding and bandwidth about how it's applied than anybody else in the world. But Tony Robbins, as intelligent as he is, he captivates people as well. So he not only forms, he entertains. He not only does that, but he creates an environment where you can see greater possibilities for yourself in the future. There's a version of you in the seat in that seminar, and then you're looking out to a version of you three months, six months, a year down the line that just energizes you, aligns with your values, and draws you out. That's why it's so engaging. So that's the point. You don't have to worry about phrasing. Things are articulately or with the ultimate amount of eloquence that comes with practice and sometimes the things that you say, Like sometimes you hear a speaker say something and the way that phrase it, it's like, oh my god, that just landed. It's what they're saying. It's the sentence structure, it's how they string ideas together. It's the tonality, it's the emotion. It's all of that, but all of that occurs by a speaker who is willing to say something imperfectly yet communicate it with clarity, sincerity, and energy. And by energy, I don't mean the person's bouncing off the wall. I just mean that there is something of them that they are present in every utterance and every bridge between who they are and where that audience is and where they're going. So that if that explains it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's funny how many people are renowned for something, known for something, famous for something that they didn't create. You know, you think about like at the moment, there's a little there's a little bit of a few row. I don't know how big it is. But so Mel Robin's the well known whatever she is. I think she was originally a lawyer. Now she kind of falls in the I guess you would call human performance, self help, personal development space.
Speaker 3: Who wrote a.
Speaker 1: Book called let Them Theory. Yeah, it's called let Them Theory. I haven't read it, but my understanding is it's like people are going to do this to you, da da da let them. People are going to say that about you, let them but whatever, right, which is not really a brand new concept. But there was another lady called Cassie Phillips who wrote a poem. Have you heard this, Bobby, Yes. So she wrote a poem called let Them. So there's this underground kind of disase of people who were going because Cassie Phillips wrote this poem. I don't know the whole backstory, but she wrote a poem called let Them. And then mel Robins wrote a book called Let Them Theory and never gave any credit to this person who wrote this poem. And it's quite long and it's quite a very very similar vibe. Now, maybe she knew about it, I would say she did, or maybe.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 1: But anyway, it's quite funny because so she's written this book. By the way, I've not read it, but people tell me it's a great book. So it probably is a great book. But it's so funny that there are so many people who like when you think, also, if I'm being honest and we zoom out, you look at human behavior and behavioral psychology and self help and personal development and all the shit you and I talk about. You know, there are new settings and new environments and new challenges. But human behavior has essentially been the same forever, like the human brain and the human mind. It's not drastically different to a thousand years ago or two thousand years ago when the Stoics were talking about self awareness and know thyself and all this stuff. It's not like, oh, you know, all the stuff that we talk about is brand new. So it's really been around forever, all of this stuff.
Speaker 2: I think that plays into what we were talking about where it's the original author, but then who communicates it in a way that not only intellectually but emotionally resonates. Like if you think about finite games or infinite games, who pops into your head, Oh, that's Simon Sinek. But actually that book was first written by James cars. If you think about Don't Sweat the Small Stuff and It's all small Stuff, you think about Richard Carson. But the person who originally wrote the book Don't Sweat the Small Stuff, Ps, it's all small stuff not a very different title is a gentleman who I know very well, who lives not too far from me, right, So he wrote that book or original So doctor Michael Mantel interesting interesting individually he does. He does a lot of speaking, you probably know exactly who he is, so you and I'm by far not a household name, but I was pretty much a big name in the health and fitness industry for a while, and there was stuff that you know, I created, and I wore the T shirt, the emblem, and I would go into health clubs, people oh my god, and they would name somebody else that we hired after that was more associated with my work than I was. Why because clearly the way this individual learned it from me and then from us and then taught it resonated with the audience to a greater degree than I did as the author. It's it's emotional connection.
Speaker 1: I think about all the stuff that I put out into the world, not including these conversations, but all the the stuff I should on Instagram, which for whatever reason, and I'm very grateful, but it's doing great. It's like it's at the minute, it's never been busy of six and a half million views per thirty.
Speaker 3: Days at the moment and all of that.
Speaker 1: But if I'm being truthful, while everything I write, you know comes out of my head, but really these ideas and concepts and this advice and these messages are a version of them have been shared forever. I'm not inventing or redefining or reshaping human behavior, right, It's like I'm writing things that are relevant for me in the moment or little moments of awareness or discovery that I have. Then I'm craigifying it and I'm you know, like I wrote this thing the other day about this this concept that you know, people will not be happy quite often when you succeed. Some people will revel in your your failure, your disappointment, your fuck up, your demise. And I'm like, what a fucking terrible thing. And there's a word for that in German. It's called schadenfreuder, right or shadenfreuder right. And it's like, yeah, well, that is an interesting word. And this is an interesting thing to think about because I talk to people about Hey, listen, some people are going to be resentful or jealous or disappointed or whatever when you do well. Now, I'm not saying that to be negative. I'm saying that to be practical and realistic.
Speaker 2: But then that.
Speaker 1: Concept that I'm talking about, which is relevant for people. But by the way, this is not new. This thing that I'm talking about of people resenting you or hating you, or being jealous of you because you're doing better than them. Oh, that's only been around for let's see ever. You know this is not a recent occurrence of the human experience. But we're just finding new ways to share really old ideas and old knowledge.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think that's intellectually honest. That's why I think if you're going to create something that is titled very close to somebody else's work, I think you should always give credit for so many reasons. One, you clearly are not the originator of that idea. You've got it from somebody else, and you might teach it better or repackage it better, and you know, you might have changed it just enough that you know you can get away with it. But like, cite the original source, because not only is it honest, I think it connects your listener or your reader to resources beyond you. Yeah, probably why. Probably why I'm not like the head of marketing, but it's there. I think as a presenter, I don't know how you feel about this. The best thing that can happen again is, like we were talking about, I reference something that is not directly connected to me, and somebody in the audience goes out and reads that and goes, oh, this is amazing, and by doing that, takes ownership over their own learning experience related to that particular topic. Because they do that, they read one book, because they attended the session, they're likely to read another. And that's your book you're recommending. I mean, of course, but outside of you either way, that's beautiful because that has sustainability behind it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you do that better than anyone I know.
Speaker 1: Like, you're always referring to other people's work and books, and you're always pointing people in a direction that isn't you? And I love that about you, Like, that's great, And I think it's funny somebody speaking of books and work and whatever, credibility for whatever. Somebody said to me the other day they only just discovered that I'd written a book called Stop Fucking Around, And they said, oh, I see you jumped on the Mark what's his name, the guy who wrote Mark Manson?
Speaker 2: Mike Manson.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh, I see you jumped on the Mark Manson bang mag And I go.
Speaker 1: I think I wrote my book six years before he wrote his book, so well maybe eight years. Mine was twenty ten. I don't know what his was, and it doesn't matter because I didn't invent that either.
Speaker 3: You know, it's like, it's so funny when I go, well.
Speaker 1: To be honest, you know, his book is a great book, but it's like, it's so funny how people think that, oh, well, you did something similar to them, so you must have copied them. And I went, no, I wrote that fifteen years ago, that book, so probably not. I love another one that you've got here. So the quote is purpose is antidote. So purpose is antidote. My question is antidote to what?
Speaker 3: Like? What is it an antidote too?
Speaker 2: I think purpose is the antidote to lack of predictability, to burnout, to stress. Now I want to be very, very careful because when I see burnout, you're talking about something that has multiple level levels and variables. So there are social, socioeconomic variables related to it. They's psychological, there's into chronological like biological. It's not just a matter of wow, if you would just double down and have a greater sense of purpose, you can get through those sixteen hour consecutive days. That is not what I'm saying. What I am saying is all things being equal, Purpose psychologically and biologically inoculates you to a degree from the deleterious effects of stress and lack of predictability. It's a very good thing. It's a central component of well being.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, what is your I don't mean the definition, I mean your understanding, Like, don't give me a definition that someone wrote. Give me, like your take on purpose. I did, ah maybe four days ago. I did a podcast on this very thing, and I say at the start, I don't know how this works, but I'm just going to tell you how it works for me, and I'm going to share my thoughts and ideas around it. This is definitely not the final word on it, but you know, I have yeah, which I'll share maybe after you do. But just tell me. Like when you say what your understanding of purpose for an individual, what is that equal?
Speaker 2: For me? Purpose is when you exercise something meaningful or a core value in a way that impacts people through contribution. Like right now, this is my purpose, it's your purpose. We both value and are highly engaged by a love of learning. And then we come on here and we share this stuff. I mean, does it impact everyone as a contribution? Like some people are probably like God, these guys are idiots, But there's probably another percentage of people like, Oh, that's a great idea. I never thought of it that way. Oh I can use this, well, that was a contribution. So when I exercise something that's personally meaningful to me and it contributes to you, I'm living my purpose.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: I think also, I think you know purpose, Obviously it's different for different people, or it can be. I think your purpose over time will maybe change. Like my focus or my purpose or my reason when I was twenty five is not the same at sixty.
Speaker 3: That's not good or bad.
Speaker 1: That's probably part of the evolution of me, not better, not worse, just doing different stuff, focusing on different stuff.
Speaker 3: And I what about though, and then we'll move on what about?
Speaker 1: I feel like there's an idea around purpose that you've got to somehow discover it under some ethereal mystical spiritual rock, and then you get there and this kind of this bright light comes out from under it and there it is your purpose and you go, oh fuck, it's been over here.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad I looked under this rock.
Speaker 1: Now I have my purpose, Like it's some kind of transformative aha moment. What are your thoughts on Obviously, that's kind of not true for most people. But what are your thoughts on identifying it?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Do we choose it, do we create it? Do we stumble into it? Do we have a moment in time where it gets revealed to us?
Speaker 2: The answer to the first question for me is that's an insidious misunderstanding, and I think that stops people from going out and exploring and doing stuff because it's so big and you're like, oh, I don't have it on my purpose isn't good enough? Or you know, it's so massive the way you're expected to have this ground sense of purpose. However that shows up, it's like, I don't even think I have one of those, Like when you talk to people that like it's almost apologetic, like I don't know what my purpose is? Yes, you do, Like, what are the things that are meaningful? Like if time and money we're no longer an issue for you and you can spend your days doing anything you want to do, how would you spend your days? What what makes you feel most alive and fulfilled? Okay? How can you share that with somebody? Yea, in a meaningful way? There you go, that's your purpose and you might go out and go, oh you and I want this is not my purpose. Six months from now, I feel like something else has showed up for me. You know, if you're constantly in a state of play, you're willing to be there and you don't feel this this weight and this burden of like you said, this this light coming from the sky, you know, Craig, your purpose ordained by you know, is this? This is God?
Speaker 3: Here is your purpose? Take notes.
Speaker 2: It's like, why does God always sound like that and not like I don't know, like this big imposing like why not Morgan Freeman Like it's it's very relaxing, soothing type of voice.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I'm just stereotyping what I've been programmed with. But I think also, you know, maybe we grew up some of us anyway, thinking that our purpose, not all of us, but some of us is going to be this like significant, profound thing. Yeah, you know, maybe it's just living your values, being a good person, doing no harm and helping others when that's an option the end, like maybe donate.
Speaker 3: The cure cancer or build the space shuttle.
Speaker 2: Well, it's it's all significant because what you're talking about is more people in society getting into touch with what it is that fulfills them and gives them a sense of well being and sharing it with other people. And I like a lot of times when you have individuals like you talked about like should in fraut if I'm probably even pronouncing that correctly my Germans a bit rough, you know, Like, imagine what it's like to be that person, not the person who's suffering through misfortune, but the person who's delighting in it. Like if they were completely wrapped up in sharing things that are mutually rewarding and uplifting, would that really be the state they're in. I don't know. Maybe the person that's going through misfortune deserves it because they're a horrible human and they've done something really bad to the person who's like reveling in it, But more likely than not, it has nothing to do with that. It's like this deep seated sense of misery. I think people understanding and acting on a sense of purpose is highly not just for the individual and the community, but for society as a whole. If you're passionate about food and you open up a tiny little restaurant, guess what, Yeah, the world needs cancer research, and the world also needs like these little tiny bistros on the corner that people go to with their family and escapism and it makes their life better.
Speaker 1: All right, Next one, I'm with you, Next one, moving on. I don't know if this is a question or a statement, but it's got a question mark at the end of it, and the post is good enough. The post is fake it until you feel it. Question mark? Is that a recommendation? Is that an exploratory?
Speaker 2: Is?
Speaker 3: What is that?
Speaker 2: Did I write that?
Speaker 3: You wrote that? You wrote that? You wrote that?
Speaker 1: On February nineteen, Robert Joseph Capuccio. I'll tell you what you and then you started by. When I first got into sales, I was told that a fake'sker than a sincere frown. Maybe this will start you off or worse. We've all heard be positive, just smile because after all, any painful emotion is negative. So I think you're maybe questioning, questioning that idea fake it till you feel it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I don't think it was a recommendation, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I was like, wow, God, did I write that? Yeah? I feel like it's if I if I remember correctly, or maybe that Okay.
Speaker 1: Let me let me give you a tiny bit more right for forcing a greenline change of mood or anyone else's for that matter. A real smile activates both Wow, zygo comedicus? Is that that zygomedicus?
Speaker 2: Zygomedicus major parslateraalis, Yeah, just that muscle firing sequence. So I mean, I think what I was getting at is, you know, just you don't have to feel a certain way to engage in behaviors. Yes, if I feel a certain way, that does support the engagement in certain patterns of thought and behaviors, but it's mutually reinforcing. Engaging in a pattern of behavior will elicit those feelings eventually, So just get into action, Like, oh, I would love to do more public speaking, but I'm scared. Like, if you've not done public speaking and you're not scared, you're delusional. Do not get on stage like speak afraid, be afraid, step out on stage and do it, do a shit job as a matter of fact, if you need to, and then do it again and again and keep like reviewing what went well. Well. I showed up to the right place, I was on the right stage. Excellent number Two. I stepped out on the stage. Three I communicated like, there's good, You're gonna build a body of evidence, because think about it. If you're feeling anyway about something that is going to happen in the future, whether that's a year from now, an hour from now, or two minutes from now, it's because you're making a prediction. What feeds those predictions is interpretations of past experiences. Accurate interpretations, probably not, but interpretations. So when you engage in the behaviors that's required to do something right, like going to the gym is required to get fit, you start to build a body of evidence to support competence that you can in fact do it. And competence and confidence are intimately interwoven with one another. I think confidence without the desire to build competence is overrated, and this research show it's it's highly destructive as well. So I think that's what I was getting at. It's like, now, don't put on a fake smile, engage in things and the behaviors that are smile worthy and you'll feel that emotion.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think I spent a lot of my time not fighting it till I might it. But but you know, doing that thing, lacking confidence, lacking skill, lacking you know, knowledge and awareness, but doing what you suggest which is going Essentially, I can't get good at this without doing it, so so I'm just going to lean in and go, you know, start scared, start in it, start shit.
Speaker 2: You know what helps? I always use performing arts as an example because I think there's a lot of relevance and correlations like method acting, Like what is it that you want? Because if you think about it, you've always been, to a degree a method actor. Like before you got your university degree, you were not the type of person that was capable of.
Speaker 3: Earning that degree.
Speaker 2: You behaved into that. You did certain things that developed you into the type of person that was awarded like that credential. So what is it that you really want to do? You want to be a better leader? Okay, great, you just got cast in a role in a major motion picture of one of the greatest leaders in the world. What is that like day to day? Like as you're preparing, what does that leader do? Like, what did the behaviors? What are the rituals you will start to move into that position.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, that's so interesting you say that because it's also very insightful. I mean, I am If you knew me when I was at school, if you knew me when I was in my twenties and you know, building gyms and doing all the stuff I was doing and being a you know whatever, I was right, you would not have gone, this is the guy that's going to go and have this academic career and end up doing it whatever. You know, you wouldn't have And it's both. You know, when I did my my undergrad degree, when I did my excise science degree, I felt like a fraud. For the best part of a year. I felt like I shouldn't be there. I felt like everyone else was an academic I wasn't. The same thing happened when I started my doctorate. Yeah, and I know it's so interesting, but eventually, you know, you go, well, I feel awkward or I feel whatever, even undeserving.
Speaker 3: You know, I remember when I started it.
Speaker 1: I don't even know if I should say this, but when I was at Monash, I had the opportunity, well I'm still at Monash to Uni.
Speaker 2: I had the.
Speaker 3: Opportunity to apply for a scholarship.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, I go, no, no, I don't give the scholarship to a twenty three year old with no do you know. I'm like, I definitely do not deserve to. I don't know if I would have got it or not, but I you know, so I just chose not to because I've felt like completely and in hindsight, the right decision, you know, I'm sure, But all right, let's move on. We've got two more to go. I reckon. So I like this. I want you to unpack this. You wrote this February five, and it's I think it's a quote from Travis Bradbury and Jane Graves from Emotional Intelligence two point zero.
Speaker 3: And you said, the weaker the.
Speaker 1: Connection you have with someone, the harder it is to get your point across. If you want people to listen, you have to practice relationship management. That's yeah, I haven't thought about it that way. I think about building connection and rapport with people a lot, but I wouldn't have well, I think it's true. I wouldn't have worded that that way. I would have gone about it from another direction. But unpack that for us.
Speaker 2: So much of it is right there within the quote. I think it was Michael Lambert who did this meta analysis trying to find what drives outcomes in therapy and coaching. This doesn't just applyed therapy and coach. I'm just referencing this and you found that thirty to fifty percent of the variance of all outcomes are depending upon not the tape of therapy or the model of coaching, but the relationship between client coach patient therapist. You know, if you take a look at who are the most effective managers and leaders, it's people who like their team, understands and know uncertain terms. The majority of them anyway, this person cares about me. So relationship is It's about listening, It's about wanting to serve. It's about noticing attributes in another person. I think it's about it's about having people feel seen so that they can be truly heard. You know, we use the word rapport constantly and talking about referencing other people. One of the best definitions I have ever heard of, one of the most impactful definitions from me personally, is from Joseph O'Connor and Ian McDermott with they said that rapport is a relationship of positive responsiveness with myself, me and another person or group of people. And what's interesting, it's not just oh, I really like this person. It's not about likability. It's about we are in response to one another. It's that person that goes here's a great example. I was on the phone with a team leader at a school site, and this is earlier in the day, and I'm working with a group that there was a lot of contention within the faculty, and over the past year are our meetings that we do every single month has really worked out because at first it was hard. People were saying very tough things to say to one another and it wasn't just hard to say. It was hard for other people to hear, and it was harsh, but there was enough safety that someone stepped out, and over time those conversations have become more fluid and people give feedback and it's like there's a dynamic and they're coming up with ideas and strategies on how to get better within the team so they can impact people in the school and the students. That's responsiveness, like I couldn't come up with this without you, and we couldn't arrive where we're at right now without everybody else in the room that's weighing in on this. That's rapport. That's relationship of positive responsiveness, where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
Speaker 3: That thing I love it.
Speaker 1: I love it all right? One last one, This is only a bit a bit you wrote here. Set yourself up to win intention and small environmental shifts can create big changes in your life. So I want to skip out the intention part. When you say environmental shifts, are you talking about where you work, the that you work in, are you talking about the people that you work around? Like, I know, for me, this is the way I understood it, which probably isn't the way you meant it. But for me, the environment in which I work has a big impact on how much I enjoy work, how creative I am, how creative my output, my productivity, my efficiency, my ability to focus my energy, Like I really optimize my energy because I work in a space by myself, which is a very comfortable, nice space with a beautiful view. And if I want to step out of the comfort and the nice into the mayhem, I can.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so for me, environment really impacts the quality of.
Speaker 1: Well everything in my life. But you know, with work and with study and research makes a big impact. What are your thoughts on all of that? Is that where you were going or was it somewhere else?
Speaker 2: No? Yeah, I agree with that first time in it's it's hard not to agree with that. I think when it comes to work satisfaction, things we talk about like burnout, the people you work around are extraordinarily influential. What I'm talking about is people always try to start off, or you're told to start off with these huge changes.
Speaker 3: You either do it or you don't do it right.
Speaker 2: I think that Yoda came up with that first, and just reference Yoda. But what we forget is the small shifts. So if you come home and you know that you need to do some work or you want to you want to invest time in studying and learning something that really helps your career. But every time you get home, you find yourself sitting in front of the couch because it's it's it's you know, you have the triggers, you have the sofa, you've got the TV. Your conditioned to just sit down there without even thinking about it. Just small environmental shifts can make a massive difference. Maybe just like stop off at a park like before you get home, or maybe like a coffee shop, or maybe if you're constantly in a certain environment and you're eating certain foods that you said, well, i'd rather a cutback on that rather than white knuckling it and disciplining and will powering your way to success. Not saying anything is innately wrong with that. Maybe try a different place where those triggers are not present. So when we talk about behavior change, you can't separate that from habit formation, and habit formation for better or for war starts with a queue or a trigger, and those are environmental in nature. So if you change your environment in a very small, not scary, but challenging and significant way, you can start to support the behaviors that can compound over time, supporting greater shifts and greater types of forward momentum. If you will.
Speaker 3: Love it, love it. That's what I was talking about anyway. Yeah, well all of that makes sense anyway.
Speaker 1: So your listeners know where to find you and follow you, but mine might not, So why don't you tell them?
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, there's Robert Capuccio dot com. There's the selfop antidote dot com. There's LinkedIn. Yes, I do have an Instagram page. It's mediocre at best, but yeah, check it out.
Speaker 1: It's definitely not mediocre. There's a lot of good stuff on there. All right, mate, You're terrific. Enjoy your Wednesday night over there. I'll enjoy my Thursday morning over here, and we will reconnect in about one hundred and sixty eight hours from now.
Speaker 2: Good day, Craig, Good day Listeners,