Speaker 1: The public has had a long held fascination with detectives. Detective see aside of life the average persons never exposed her. I spent thirty four years as a cop. For twenty five of those years, I was catching killers. That's what I did for a living. I was a homicide detective. I'm no longer just interviewing bad guys. Instead, I'm taking the public into the world in which I operated. The guests I talk to each week have amazing stories from all sides of the law. The interviews are raw and honest, just like the people I talk to. Some of the content and language might be confronting. That's because no one who comes in the contact with crime is left unchanged. Join me now as I take you into this world. Today I spoke to Sally Laden, the daughter of missing woman Marion Barter. Marion disappeared in bizarre circumstances twenty seven years ago. Sally doesn't know what happened to her mum, but she's determined to find out, and today we spoke to her about the enduring pain a loved one's disappearance can cause. We also spoke about the shocking truth about the failings of the police investigation and a mysterious man called Rick Blum, who came into Marion's life around the time she disappeared. Rick Blum has denied any involvement in the disappearance of Marion. Sally is determined to find out what happened to her mother and just maybe today's chat may prompt something. Sally Laden, welcome to I catch killers.
Speaker 2: Hello, thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: It's a pleasure. And look, I want to say upfront, condolences for what you've gone through with your mother having disappeared twenty seven years ago. And I've seen enough of people and the uncertainty and not knowing what happened and the pain of having a loved one just disappear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, thank you for that. It's is a hard road to part to walk, I guess, but yeah, thank you for having me and having a chat with me about it.
Speaker 1: Well. I don't think people fully appreciate what happens when someone just disappears, or you haven't got answers, or someone's died in suspicious circumstances, you haven't got answers. And I'm sure some people say, well, twenty seven years ago, why are you still campaigning? Can you just explain that to them, because I fully understand. I've seen enough of victims families and it's not something that you ever get closure from.
Speaker 2: No, and you live with it forever. And I feel like I didn't really want to leave that burden of searching for my children. I've got three children and that's their grandmother. They never met her. She already disappeared by the time I had babies, and even by the time I was getting married. I got married a year after she went missing. And it is a rollercoaster, and there are times where I've had to tap out and just focus on being a mum or building houses or working in our business, and then when I have the energy to come back in, I jump back in and go a little bit further until you know, you get knocked down again, and you can kind of get knocked down so much, but I have this personality and ability, I guess to just pull myself out and keep going because for me, my mum matters, and she shouldn't. Quite often A quoted of saying, you know, she's not a lost puppy, and it might be twenty seven years I'm actually fifty two now. She technically at the time the Currenter has deemed that when she passed she was fifty two as well. And my eldest daughter is twenty three about to turn twenty four. And I was twenty three turning twenty four when mum disappeared. So in our world we've actually come full circle in life again to where you know, Ella's the same age as I was. I'm the same age as Mum was, and we still don't know what's happened to her, and so I'll I'll keep going. People joke that I'm a Tourian and I do have this stubbornness in me, so part of it.
Speaker 1: I think people that listen to the podcast today will find out that you need to need to be stubborn because for all the kicks that you've had, you keep getting up and keep fighting. Why have you campaigned so hard?
Speaker 2: Well, I guess at the outset it was about my mum. But as time has grown, I've realized that, you know, everybody needs a voice in the missing space, and you know, the ambiguity, ambiguity that we live with, those of us living in with as missing loved one, it's really important that we do remember them and that we keep fighting for the truth. I think, you know, as I've been kicking along, I have found things. So I keep finding things. I keep digging deeper, and you know, the more people that I sort of calls out for people to help me as well, and people have come to that table, and you know, it's with those little bits of information that it just keeps going and this story just keeps growing every day. So I'm here, I am keeping on, keeping on.
Speaker 1: Well, some things have been uncovered, and I dare say, and we'll get into this more in the in the podcast that Yeah, as a form of police officer now working in the media in this space on true crime understanding the police organization, I can say comfortably that if you weren't campaigning then going so hard, it would have been forgotten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or she was forgotten. She's been forgotten multiple times, like even at the very outset, you know. So I walk into Byron Bay police station. I didn't use the words missing. I just said, something's wrong. My mum's supposed to be overseas. I've just found out that money's coming out of her bank account in large sums every day for three and a half weeks in Byron Bay and in Burley something's wrong. She missed my brother's birthday. That was very out of character for her and something that I've always wanted to get out for anybody who finds himself in this position, the language is actually important. But equally the police probably need to start looking at that as well. And because their argument to you know, in court was will Sally didn't walk in and say her mother was missing, And I'm like, well, you know, as a twenty three year old, twenty four year old, I didn't know what was happening. I just knew that my mum was supposed to be overseas and money's coming out of her bank account and Brian Bay. The reaction from the lady on the phone when I rang Telly Banking, she nearly had a heart attack. She's like, what, I can't tell you this, but holy moly, there's money coming out of her bank account and Byron Bay. So you know, it started at that very outset. They only marked my mum's on occurrence only at that stage within twenty four hours of me going to the police station.
Speaker 1: It's a failing from the start and not beating up on the individuals, but these mistakes made that if people in those circumstances and it doesn't need to be an experienced police office. Anyone with common sense, and one would hope that anyone in the police with common sense would realize, okay, this is something. What the details that you just provided there. As a junior constable, you'd think, okay, this is something that we better have a look at. But tell us about the circumstances of your mum's disappearance. Brief details, because we're going to break it down. So it's complex. But where was she the fact she went overseas and then so she was a school teacher.
Speaker 2: She'd just won Best Teacher in Queensland award. Ida Butcher's actually gave her that award in November of nineteen ninety six. She came second in Australia overall. So she was achieving well at school. She was doing well. She loved her little boys that she taught. She taught four and five year olds at TSS on the Gold Coast, which is the Southport School. It's a private boys school, probably one of the best in Queensland. She wasn't very happy. There was times in the new year, around the March February time period where she just wasn't getting along with a few people at school, and I always sort of thought to myself, potentially there was a bit of tall poppy syndrome happening. She won this award and people didn't like that. And I've even heard comments since then that people were saying, oh, well, it was the parents who were voting for her, and so even little comments like that, I'm like, what does it really matter who voted for her?
Speaker 1: She wins, probably want to hope.
Speaker 2: So but anyway, she decided to sell her house and go on a trip overseas. I did think it was odd that she left halfway through a year, because she was a very dedicated teacher. But she was also quite upset about a few things that were happening at school. Someone had accused her of touching a boy and that just absolutely wiped her for six She was in tears about it. I was just gobsmacked because I know my mum very well and she would never have done anything of the sort. So that was all happening. She decided to sell the house and told my husband and I he was my fiance back then. We just got engaged that she was going to come back in a year, and she was going to buy an apartment or a unit at Maine Beach, which is on the Gold Coast, not far from her house, and by doing so, she'd have to give us a couple of big pieces of her furniture because she wouldn't be able to house them in the unit when she got back. The rest of her treasures were going into a shipping container, and foolishly I never asked her where the shipping container was going. She just said to me, if I decide to stay overseas and teach, I will get you to send it over to me. Okay, And I thought, okay, and like everything made sense to me. She did sell the house really quickly, so she sold it in three weeks for less than fifteen thousand dollars that she paid for it. And if you wind back to nineteen ninety seven, we're talking around one hundred and seventy one hundred and sixty thousand dollars for a house. Just for some perspective, so that was a bit that was a bit odd. I did think that was a bit weird, but you know, I wasn't the kind of child, I guess young adult that asked my mum will probed into my mom's business too much. Anyway, there was a night that she'd asked me if I would come and help her start packing up the house. And I was going to TAFE because ironically I was trying myself to get into the Queensland Police, so I was studying at TAFE while working from I do joke. I do joke about that. I should have I should have persisted. But any who, Chris went around my partner, yeah, and he helped mum pack up. And so he was helping her. He was putting some records from the under the TV cabinet into some boxes, and she walked down and said, what's the time, and he gave her the time, and she said, oh, okay, we'll just drop what you're doing. I need you to go. And he goes, no, no, Marry and it's okay, I'll just keep packing this box and finish and he goes, no, no, you just need to leave it. I need you to go. So he left, quite bewildered as to why she was sort of kicking him out of the house in such a hurry. Came and picked me up from Tafe. We stopped at a service station on the way home that had a McDonald's attached to it because it's late. We don't we didn't have time to cook dinner. McDonald's feel every time I say that now because I don't need McDonald's. But why did you have McDonald's Anyway? Life changes? But yeah, anyway, so we were sitting at McDonald's and my mum's car pulled up in the petrol bowser and Chris actually was the one who saw her. I had my to the bowser and I stood up and I started waving at her. And she's standing at the car with the door open like she's about to put petrol in the car, and just stares at me like a deer in headlights, as if to say, oh my god, what are you doing sort of thing. Anyway, she got back in the car, didn't put petrol in the car, and drove off. But she went around to the left, which got meant that she went through the drive through and instead of driving straight past us. And I think she did that because there was a man in the car, and I clearly could see that there was a guy. He was very tall, his head was nearly touching the roof. But the reflection from the lights, the bright lights at nighttime in the petrol station meant that I didn't get a very clear look at him, but he was big, and I guess always figured that if she'd driven past the window where we were standing, I would have got a full view of who that was. I did ask her the next day and said, who was the man in the car? She said, just a friend I've met at the art center. He was just taking me out to say goodbye before I go over. And I went, okay, no problem, Ibe, you respect her privacy. I kind of joked and went, oh, maybe she's got a boyfriend. She doesn't want to tell me about it, but you know, I just left it at that essentially. So on the she came and had dinner with us. She asked if i'd make her a lamb roast, and she came to our house with her friend Leslie. She'd moved in with Leslie because she'd sort of had to leave the house a couple of weeks before she was ready to move to go on the trip. I should say, Leslie lived close to school, so it sort of made sense that whereas we were like thirty minutes away, so it was probably better for her to stay with Leslie and so Leslie and drove Mum out to our house. I made her a lamb roast and yeah, that was the last time I saw her. Gave her a hug and a kiss. She looked a bit sad that she was leaving.
Speaker 1: How what a period of time was that.
Speaker 2: Twenty second of June nineteen ninety seven. Is that when she left? Okay, So she was there on the Saturday night and then she left the next day.
Speaker 1: All right, so she's going overseas. She's fifty one, fifty two, and she wasn't that happy with her life at that particular point in time. And she won the day a career break, I suppose. And you stayed in contact with her when she was overseas.
Speaker 2: So again whinding back to nineteen ninety seven, not many people had mobile phones, so I was pretty new. There was no Internet apart from the dial up variety, so it wasn't like you could just FaceTime someone jump on Facebook. So I was really reliant on her to contact me, which she did. So she sent me a couple of postcards, and she sent me a letter as well, and she did ring me. So after the threadbat disaster happened, Chris and I had been skiing. We're driven down to go skiing, and we were there and we were driving back when we heard about the Threadbeat disaster. And when we got home there was an answering machine message. The light was flashing and I pressed it and it was Mum and she said, oh, I've just heard word over here about the Threadbat disaster. I was just checking to see if you guys are okay. And I was really sad because I just bought my wedding dress here in Sydney on our way home in the car, and I really wanted to tell her because she was here when we got engaged, right, so she came to our engagement party on the ninth of June. She left on the twenty second of June, so she was aware of what we were doing. She knew that I was trying to get into the police. She's asking all those sorts of questions and being engaging with us in those letters and postcards. And then she rang and said to me, look, you know I'm going to stop sending lots of postcards. I'm sending post ups to everyone, which she did from evidence, and she said, I just need to have a break, and I said, yes, go and have a break. You don't need to send us a hundred postcards. It's hard to get a stamp and find a postbox. Go and have a break. That's fine. We're all for all fine here. And that was the last time I spoke to her. She was at a payphone and the money kept dropping out, and she'd ring back and she'd talk for a bit, and then the money would drop out again, And when we got to the last bit, she said, this is all the money I've got now, so I'll just let you talk until the phone drops out. So I'm literally just talking away in the phone cut off. And that was the last time I spoke to her.
Speaker 1: Okay, now, what do you know the date that was?
Speaker 2: So the timeline of that is the thirty first. Well, we know that the three beds I used to happened around midnight on the thirtieth of June nineteen ninety seven, and we were coming back. So she we think that she's called and left the message on the thirty first, and then she's wrung me again on the first. Her passport came back into Australia the next day, right.
Speaker 1: So explain this and this is where and I've got to say I've read through the full coroner's report and I think it was one hundred and sixty nine pages or whatever, the coroner's findings, and there's so many twists and turns on this, so I found it fascinating. But she came back into the country the next day, So she'd been overseas for six weeks or.
Speaker 2: So, So six weeks out of the whole year that she said she was going.
Speaker 1: For and she's come back into the country. How did we'll do it in sequence of events? Because and you know so much now that you didn't know back then. So okay, that's the last time you spoke to your mum back then? When did you realize that she had come back into to Australia.
Speaker 2: So what happened was I was that tafe, as I said, when I was trying to get into the police force. I guess for me, she'd given me that out that she was having some time out. She wasn't going to be sending postcards, she wasn't going to be sending letters.
Speaker 1: So you're not overly at that point.
Speaker 2: I was like, okay, I'll talk to you. When I talked to you, but then you know, that's the first of August. I guess probably a month went by. Where Now in September, I'm like, oh, she hasn't contacted me. That's getting long now, like I haven't spoken to her for a while. And then October came around. I was like, Okay, now I'm starting to get a bit worried, Like she's been gone for two months now, I haven't spoken to her. Surely she'll contact Owen, my brother for his birthday, which was the eighteenth of October, And so I called him to see if she had called on the Saturday, which was his birthday, and he said no, and I said, okay, I sort of gave her a bit of grace to go. K's behind us. Maybe she's got her dates mixed up. She'll bring him tomorrow. So I rang him again and he said, no, she hasn't called me. And it was just that a friend came over for dinner that night and we were talking about it, and I was saying, I'm worried, like now, I don't know, she would never miss his birthday, so what are we going to do? And she suggested that I ring the bank because I had her bank account details and see if she was using her bank account and here. I am thinking it would be overseas and that she'd say yes or no. I rang and she said, I can't tell you anything due to privacy. And then she paused and she said, oh, my god, did you say your mum's overseas? And I said yes, and she said, oh, there's money coming out of her bank account and Barron Bay OK. So she goes, you can't tell anybody. I'm telling you this because I'll lose my job, you know. So there was all that rushing through my head as well, and I was just grateful that she told me, and so my husband and I we actually worked weekends in our jobs and it's our We've gone back. I have gone back with a fine toothcomb to look at the timeline, and it's my opinion that we actually drove to Byron on the twentieth. The police report says it was the twenty second, But if you look at that really closely, they've done a lot of work, I guess, and ringing people and talking to people in a forty five minute period by when he said that he did it, and he's lodged it, so I'm not sure about that. That's all a bit gray, and no one can really say, yeah, your name. But Chris and I think we went on the Monday and we went down there with a school photo of mums and we walked around everywhere to see if someone had seen her.
Speaker 1: What literally walked literally walked around with a photos or going the shops.
Speaker 2: Or we went into Wowors, we went into the chemists, we went into a nature path shop, health food shop, anywhere I thought mum would go if she was actually in Byron. I was just my head was say.
Speaker 1: And that's on the basis, so you think your mum's overseas and then you've spoken to the bank because you've got concerns because she didn't fine on Owen's birthday, which she normally would hadn't heard from it for months. The bank tells you that, oh she's drawing money here, and then you've gone the bar and buy Yeah, I can understand why your head's spinny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like. And in the inquest it was sort of like throwing against Chris and I because Chris had a different opinion. He thought maybe someone had stolen her card and was using her carding baron. For me, I just was like, as someone seeing her, like is she here, Like what's happening. So I didn't have that thought process at all, and it wasn't until we went to the bank and I walked in and he said, how can I help you? We were the only people in there. There was no one else and there was only one person serving. And I handed him the photo and I said, look, my mom's supposed to be overseas, but I've just been told by you're telebanking that money's been coming out of her bank account. Here can you help me? And he picked up the photo and he shook it and he said, m that rings a bell. So his body language to me was really off. He took the photo and walked around the back of some tables, went into a room, closed the door behind him, came out, went over to the photocopy. He took a photo of it and came back to me and said, what would you like me to say to her if I see her? So I was like having a meltdown. And we drove straight around to Barron Bay Police and I walked in there and said, something's.
Speaker 1: Wrong the background of your mother. You're a daughter, so you know as well as anyone this is not the type of normal behavior for it.
Speaker 2: No and it was just really off. I just had a really bad feeling walked in there. You know, a big mistake I made, and I hope other people will learn from this as you make sure you take down every single detail. Because I didn't remember the name of the guy who gave me the report, I didn't get a business card, I didn't do a statement. I literally just told him everything, thinking that that was how you do it.
Speaker 1: Well, let's put it out there, because I don't like people not understanding what the practices are in police. But if you go into a police station, the report something, get the name of the officer that you're speaking to, time and date, and make a note of it. And if it's a matter that you're reporting, asked for an event number, so you've got an event number. I'm not telling you now. You know that now, but for other people, because I think so many times people and I honestly believe it's because we're brought up to trust police, like you go and the police will saw that you've got the problem. You go to the police and you assume that the police are going to solve this problem. But I think that safeguard getting the name of the officer, you speak to making people accountable, and you know, wherever you work, if someone what's your name, you know, okay, you're going to be accountable for this. I think that's a good practice, So let's put that out there. You've gone in and you explained when we first started the podcast. You've said you've got concerns about your mother. What were you told by the police at the time.
Speaker 2: I wasn't told anything. He just listened and wrote things down in his notebook, and then Chris and I left, and I really really kicked myself a lot for not just taking down more detail. I got a phone call about a week to ten days later. Again kick myself for not writing it down, taking note of who I spoke to on the phone. When people ask me, my opinion of my memory is that it was the same man that I spoke to at the desk, but I can't prove that because I didn't write anything down. But that phone call was a gentleman calling me to tell me that they'd found my mother and she didn't want anything to do with us. Exact words, where we found your mother. She doesn't want anyone knowing where she is or what she's doing. And that is burnt into my brain.
Speaker 1: So, but that's not true, is it.
Speaker 2: No, well, no it's not. They've told me now that they've never spoken to her, they've never sighted her. So and the kicker for me, Gary is my brother took his own life shortly after my mum went missing, and I firmly believe he had problems, like he had his own issues and demons he was working through. But you know, he was about to he was about to get married. He was in a very good headspace in my heart, and I think he did not cope very well when he was told that.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry to hear that, but I understand what you're saying. There. To be told that your mom's back in the country, she just doesn't want to speak to you. That's a burden for anyone to carry.
Speaker 2: And even just the way it was said to me, like no one sat down and said, listen, I understand this was going to be hard for you to hear your mother doesn't want to have anything to do with you anymore. Like just to be told on the phone so brash, and even you know, since then, I know you're going to tell me not to jump forward. But you know, we've got records now from Queensland Police Missing Person's Unit, because they actually were involved as well with my grandfather's involvement. He lived up on the Sunshine Coast and he had contacted missing persons through the Salvation Army and they were working with Queensland Missing person and they actually wrote like I've got a letter from the Salvation Army just saying, oh, you know, bank security confirm that it was definitely your daughter Marion who went in and spoke of starting a new life and withdrew the balance of of her bank account and bank security are like the police, so must be true. And that in her notebook she hasn't taken down the name of the bank teller who served mum who claims that it was definitely my mum who went in and telling my grandfather was definitely your daughter Marion is the word choice. And the kicker there too is that she didn't withdraw all the money out of heran account. There was still money sitting in her bank account up until.
Speaker 1: Last year, and it had sat dormant since with for all of that large amount.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they sat dormant. And then they were still taking bank fees out of my mum's bank account right up until the end of the inquest to.
Speaker 1: Me with the comments like that, you can a piece of information, you can interpret it many ways, but interpreted that your mother just doesn't want I see you, Well, I don't know how anyone could say that unless they've spoken to your mother. But that's just an assumption and that sort of information shouldn't be passed on to members of the public if police have passed it on the information the way that you said, but in the circumstances to contact you and tell you that they've spoken to your mother, And it doesn't appear that that's correct that to me, And I could be wrong here. I'm only surmising understanding the workings and the organization of the police. It's like someone that, oh, well, we can close that line of inquiry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I've seen the line of inquiry from when I initially went into byron Ba Police and they actually marked her as an occurrence only and the wording is no action until the person is actually listed as missing and new action due to other work priorities. And I'm reading that going okay, so does that mean she's not a priority? And you know, the word choices in the language on the police report is, oh, well, she was fifty one, she's been married and divorced three times. She's capable of this behavior without talking to my mum, never ever speaking to her. And I think for me when people ask me, why do I keep pushing and keep going. That's one of the main things I want people to learn that language is actually and what you spay and what your words woulds do actually can cause a lot of problems for somebody, especially if you're living in this ambiguous bubble over here where you don't know what's happened and you're always guessing and you and your mind just goes million miles an hour.
Speaker 1: But I hear what you're saying, and I just want to say to you, don't blame yourself. You've done the right thing. You've gone to the police with genuine, legitimate concerns and there's been a failing in the system, not a failing from your point of view, like at you accept what police tell you on face value, and I told you not the jump ahead on the jump ahead a little bit in that during the coronial inquest that wasn't held for years and years after the Detective Chief Inspector Brea, who I know and I rate him as a good detective, and he was heading up the missing person's unit at the time that he gave this evidence. He said in a statement that forms part of the evidence of the Crannial brief, and this is from Detective Chief Inspector Brown, it is my view that Marion Barter should not have been classified as located, as her whereabouts were still unknown and there was still justification to hold concerns for her safety or well being. So that's someone that's reviewed it years later. So it's not just give you some credit here. It's not just you saying things could be done better or me trying to beat up on the police on the matter. That's someone that's still serving police officer that reviewed the situation and came up with that opinion and gave that evidence the cranial inquest in his statement. So that must add to the frustration.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, frustration. And I was really glad I was there when Glenn gave his statement on that, and I sort of felt like something like finally someone could actually say, yes, what Sally did is correct, because if I can add to my mum's family, her sisters in particular, and in particular one of those sisters how to go with me when I listed moms missing, and she had my grandfather as well, and she said, you know, I don't know why you guys are doing this. She's just having a holiday, she's just having a break. Why would you go on list her as missing. And so they sort of had a crack at me, and they don't talk to me anymore, like ever since I've done the podcast. The lady vanishes and I understand it's traumatic, and I understand it's upsetting, and I understand that not everybody is like me who can just keep plugging along and going with it, and it is upsetting for them. It's their sister. She was the eldest. But you know, at the same time, it's important that you know, we do look for her and we make out that what's happened to her, make sure she's safe and well. And so for years and years and years, I just wanted to find her to make sure she was like, Hey, I'd even say, you know, I don't need to see you. I don't need to talk to you if you don't want to talk to me. As sad as that is, just let me know you're okay, and I can rest my heart because I can't. I can't rest until I know, and you know, I'm on heart medication now. Like it's been really hard for me to do what I'm doing. This is not easy, but I just feel I have to do it for her. I have to. I have to do it for her, and I have to do it for every other missing person as well, because they need a voice. My mum's not here to tell her story.
Speaker 1: Well, I think you're entitled to her. I mean, you're her daughter, like it's some clot closest relative, and you've got concerns for your mum's well being. So there's a whole range of things that came out, and we'll talk more about the police investigation, but there was when did you find out that your mum and just before she went overseas change change the name, and do you want to explain when you when you became aware of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So in that timeline of she's wrung us on the phone in the August and Owen's birthday in October as soon as I as soon as I knew that, and I went to the police in Byron Bay. I was that tafe and we had a whole heap of different people in my class, because we had some customs agents who were trying to become a cop, and we had other people working in the prisons who were trying to be So I was among a lot of people in that field. And we had a guy and I wasn't really friends with him, but I just knew he worked in customs and I said to him, can you do a passport check for me? This is after I've been told that she's they found her, okay. So that phone call came in, as I said, about a week to ten days after I'd been to the police. And he then came back to me and he said, your mum's passport came back into the country on the second of August. So that's when I found out about it. Now. The interesting thing there, and I didn't know this at that time, but my mum had changed her name, and so when I told him, I gave him Marion Barta and her date of birth is the third of the tenth forty five, So that's all I gave him to go on, and he's come back and told me that he didn't tell me anything else. And it wasn't until twenty eleven that we found out that she'd actually changed her.
Speaker 1: Name, okay, and what did she change her name to.
Speaker 2: Well, Flora Bella Natalia Marion Ramchel.
Speaker 1: Okay, and that has some significance.
Speaker 2: Huge significant.
Speaker 1: What we're going to find out find out later okay, dealings with the police. So you've reported in initial report in October ninety seven, and then after no further investigation was undertaken until July two thousand and seven, correct, So when we say no investigation, we're talking zero zero investigation.
Speaker 2: And it was just that I so that in that time period, if I can give everyone the idea, we built a house, we got married, and we had three children in that ten years. So I was quite busy with life and trying to be the best person I could as well. Ohen died, my grandfather died, so we had a lot going on. And it just got to the point where I was pregnant with my third baby and he was due in June. So I was in my first trimester essentially, and my girlfriend was over and I said to her, I need to do something. It's month tenth anniversary this year and no one's doing anything. So I contacted I had done just for clarity I had in two thousand and four, I actually reached back out to the Salvation Army after my grandfather was passed, like well, he was very sick with cancer, so it was either just before he passed or after he passed, and I reached out to them asking for the information about what they told my grandfather, and they came back and said, we've got no records of anything, and we've tried to find your mother and there's nothing we can find. So we're really sorry. God Bless was probably it. And then a short time after that, the lady I was working with in that circumstance, she contacted me and said, look, Woman's Day magazine would like to do an article about missing mums on Mother's Day. Would you like to be involved? So I did do that article. I was pregnant with my second daughter, Darcy, and I remember I had Ella on my lap in the photo and I remember saying to my husband, well, he had sort of indicated he didn't want her in the magazine, and I said, I really want her in the magazine because if Mum reads it and she sees that she's a grandmother, I just wanted her to see And so that was quite stressful. So I had done that little bit of media, that was it, and nothing came of it. I didn't hear anything. Salvation Amy came back to me about a month later and said, look, we haven't heard anything. We're really sorry. And then it was two thousand and seven, as I said, I've got my girlfriend Nina looking after the kids while I jump on the phone to the AFP Missing Person's Unit because I thought, I'm going to go to them. They're the top dogs. Let me go to them and see what they can do to help me, because I really just had nothing. And anyway, I spoke to a really beautiful lady named Rebecca cotts Beck since passed, but we became really good friends and she we spoke for probably two hours in that initial conversation, and then she rang me back and asked me if I would be the face of Missing Persons Week.
Speaker 1: They I remember when they were doing.
Speaker 2: That, and so that's like middle like first week of August, and I said, well, I would love to. She said, look, I think it'd be really great opportunity for you to get your story out there. You've kept such great records of everything. I think it'd be really really good. So I started prepping myself. I was doing lots of writing and lots of conversations and dragging myself back through it, which is probably not the best thing to do when you're pregnant. But we got to the end. I had my third cesarean, and she told me that I need to prepare myself because they're going to bounce me around from state to state to do all these interviews in that week. And so I there storing my breast milk. Sorry Gary with.
Speaker 1: Her worse on I catch kill us, but go on.
Speaker 2: And we're just so I can my husband can come, he can take time off work to feed the baby because I'm going to have a brand new baby. I've got two toddlers. Blah blah blah. Anyway, she calls me a couple of days before and says they've pulled you. I'm really sorry. I said, what do you mean they've pulled me? She said, oh, it's apparently about missing persons with mental health this year, and your mum didn't have mental health, so they said they can't use you. He said, look, we've already got your tickets for the plane and everything's still come down. I remember it really well, actually, because Kevin Rudd was sitting in front of us on the plane, and we got to Camber on a little buzzy plane and sat in the audience, and you know, I walked out of there and the police commissioner was outside, and Rebecca actually introduced me to him, and he came up to me and he said, oh, well, Sally, my brother's missing. I don't know where he is. And sometimes that's just how people are, you know, people will have the right to be missing. And then he I don't know. The conversation she kept going. He goes, well, my mum knows where he is, but we don't know where he is. He's missing to us. So anyway, that was a really rough time of life, right, that was not fun. And I guess for me, every time I go through those things, it takes so much energy and so much effort, and then I just come flat splat on the ground and I have to really suck myself back up and to keep going again and go, Okay, what avenue can I do next? So at that point it's interesting actually because in the inquest, when you do actually get information from the brief of evidence, we can actually see that after Rebecca Cott's rings Missing Persons New South Wales and asks for Mom's file so that they can put her on as the head of the face of missing persons. That year, there's a very quick change on the cops event from occurrence only to missing.
Speaker 1: What I okay, just pure coincidence, you think.
Speaker 2: Apparently, So they were asked about it at the inquest and it was like, I know that there's nothing in that. It was just happened to be exactly the same time.
Speaker 1: Ten years later they've decided to change it. Yeah, and that current's only to missing.
Speaker 2: And that was the first time because I.
Speaker 1: Was really I couldn't quite work out what the thing was that changed it from occurrence to missing. But you've just explained it very well. And I call me snical, but a coincidence, no, I think an inquiry has been made by AFP police have looked at that. New South Wales police have looked at it and gone, oh, we better tidy this one.
Speaker 2: She's not actually a missing person to us. And so that was the first time she'd been put onto missing persons list, but it was only New South Wales. Then this is two thousand and seven. So then in two thousand and nine I get an oyc, so I offer us in charge, which is the first time I had actually had that. There'd been a couple of come in and float in and out, and I remember a few of their names, but I don't really have any real depth of conversation with any of them. Gary Sheen became the oh I see on the case, and I did have a lot to do with him. We spoke a lot on the phone. He was interested, He sat down. He wanted to know everything about the case, everything we were up to. He did some digging. He found that there'd been an Armadale crime stoppers call come into Armidale saying that my mum's body was buried in Armidale. So he organized and got approval to go out with some Cadava dogs. But it was like so many years before, so those sorts of things started to come in about. He then told me that he'd found a I don't know what you call it now, my brain's not working, but there'd been a ping on her Medicare card to get used in Grafton. So but the problem there, which was a pretty big problem, they were looking for a doctor and so all this flurry about trying to find the doctor surgery and trying to find doctors who were working back in nineteen ointy seven to see who it was. And in actual fact we had the name.
Speaker 1: So when was the ping on the Medicare card.
Speaker 2: So the thirteenth of August in ninety seven, ninety seven, Okay, right, so the ping happens they're looking for a doctor. Turns out fast forward to twenty twenty was actually an optometrist, not a doctor, and he actually came as a witness, understand, and he did say that she would have had to fill in a new customer card which would have had an address on it and a phone number on it. And if you think about the facts, that's eleven days after her pass what's come back into Australia. So we really desperately wanted to find that card crucial because it could have told us where she was or who she was with at least. And yeah, they didn't find it because they were looking for a doctor instead.
Speaker 1: So the fact between ninety seven and two thousand and seven there was no inquiries done, so there was no looking whether she's accessed a bank account, any records in regards to her a residential address, Medicare card that type of thing, all the things that you would make inquiries back then. And yeah, it's a lot easier now, or it's harder now to disappear, but there was still a lot of lines of inquiry that could have been covered to find out where she was and if someone's writing the report off that they've found her, if the report's done properly, it should be where she's living, what her circumstances are to write the report off. But there was none of that, was it.
Speaker 2: And well there's no documentation with New Southwest Police to say that anyone rang me, so there's question in their world as to do that phone call actually happened. And I was like, well, it definitely happened, because that's what started the ball rolling with my grandfather taking over and going to the Salvation Army and yeah, so look, it was a big fat mess, to be honest, and I just honester goodness. I just thought by walking in there and telling them I had concerns and walking away that even though they said to me, oh, we've located her, for some weird reason, in my head, I just thought she'd still be, you know, in this system, and she just wasn't.
Speaker 1: And taking on face value what the police have told you and that if they've located, they know where she is or whatever. Okay, we're bringing it to two thousand and seven, and you've got an officer in charge who's making inquiries, making inquiries about like when she came into the country or the type of inquiries that could have been done ten years before.
Speaker 2: Two thousand and seven was when I went to the AFP, and then it was two years after that that I got the OIC. So I had like a bit of a looking to nine. Now. Yeah, so there's a guy Steve McAllister. He was actually working with Missing Persons Unit at that time and he was president at the inquest as well, and gave evidence and he remembered my mom's case and he said I remember because I was a big soccer fan and Marian was married to Johnny Warren.
Speaker 1: Another side issue, Johnny Warren for people that don't know who's a hero of mine, Captain soccer roop.
Speaker 2: I still people cry when I go, oh, yeah, Johnny was married to my mum. They go there he was not. I go, yeah he was. I've met him. He actually taught me how to play soccer a little bit when I was little.
Speaker 1: So that's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is cool.
Speaker 1: But okay, so that is something that yeah, because it was such a high profile. So people understand that when they got Johnny Warret.
Speaker 2: And when they got married, they were front page of the newspaper. So mum was right in the thick of it when john was at his best, you know, captain of the soccer whose captain of his local team here in Sydney, and you know, doing really great things in the world of soccer. And yeah, so anyway, so two thousand and nine, we've got Gary on board. He's finding all these things. So he'd found the medicare, he'd found out about the crime Stoppers call. And then in twenty eleven he spoke to Immigration in Brisbane and he got a file that showed him that my mum's name had been changed to Florabella Ramchel.
Speaker 1: And that was only a matter of months before she went overseas in ninety seven.
Speaker 2: She changed it on the fifteenth of May nineteen ninety seven. She left on the twenty second of May. Twenty second to you.
Speaker 1: So that's a bit of a headspin for you.
Speaker 2: Well, and my birthday is the twelfth of May. Other's day is always falls around my birthday. So it really blew my mind. And this is a lot to deal with from an emotional site it as well, because I'm thinking, why did she not tell me? Well, I mean we were pretty close. I moved up from Sydney to go and live with my mum. I'd see her weekly, you know, multiple times a week. She come and have dinner with me every Thursday night where I worked. So twenty eleven we find out about the name change. And I'm going to fast forward here from this moment to twenty sixteen. So twenty sixteen, I've got a lady who's following my Facebook page. I set the Facebook page up in twenty thirteen. I had less than a thousand followers on it. And if you go back and read all the very beginning of that, I was close to giving up, and then i'd come back again. I'd close to giving up, and it was just such a roller coaster ride of crazy. And she contacted me and she said, look, Sally, I've just gone on to the National Missing Person's Register and your Mum's not on there. And so I thought that's so weird. So I had a look, wasn't on there? So I rang my friend Rebecca Cotts again. I said, hey, Beck, I've just had a lady contact me. And she said that mum's name's not on the missing person's register. I can't see it either. Can you have a look. And she said she has a look, and she says, oh, well, this actually something on the file that I haven't seen before. I have to get approval to give it to you. Let me go and do that and see what they say, and I'll come back to you. So anyway, she comes back to me and she said, I've got approval. I'm going to send it to you. And it was a document, so it's on AFP letterhead, but that document actually has that on the seventh of December twenty eleven, my mum was located, and on the eighth of November that year, so a month before ish. The case had been suspended on those dates again, eighth of November nineteen twenty and eleven, and then she was located on the seventh of December twenty eleven, and that I had been it says underneath it, there's a notation that says that I had been notified of that decision.
Speaker 1: So I want to scream for you, how how do you deal with that?
Speaker 2: Not very well? Not very well. It's emotionally draining. And so I jumped straight on the phone to Gary Sheen, Oh I see, and said, I've just had something comes through from Rebecca. I explained the situation and I said, I've got this document in front of me and told him. He said, can you read it to me? So I read it to him and he said can you read it again? I read it again, and he said, okay, I'm going to make a call. I'm going to come back to you. So he rang me back. I don't remember if it was straight away all the day after, but he did ring me back pretty quickly, and he said, I've spoken to them and it seems it's a typo.
Speaker 1: Who's them?
Speaker 2: I couldn't even tell you. Actually, I don't know who. I don't know who them is. But he said, I'm going to ring them again. I'm going to have a deeper chat about it and see what's happening. So anyway, so.
Speaker 1: A type that's a long typo that someone's been located, that was on missing persons and located. That's more than the typo.
Speaker 2: I would suggest the fact that I actually couldn't cope with the fact that they said, okay, well they suspended it on the eighth of November. But you're even telling me that you told me on the seventh of December. You didn't tell me anything. I've never heard that information, hence the shock value of it. But I was like a month like that's anyway. It was just a yeah again, mind blowing. And he did ring me back and he said, I've spoken to them, And how it works is we've got two boxes, so you're either missing or you're found. And because we deem that your mother is missing because she sold her house, she quit her job, and she changed her name, we have no choice but to marko is located.
Speaker 1: Is that a computer telling them that?
Speaker 2: And I just came back and I said, well, maybe you need a third box, you know, like maybe we need that box in the middle. And the thing that upsets me a lot about my mum's case is all the assumptions they're assuming that because she sold her house, and they're assuming because she changed her name and that she went overseas that she wanted to go missing. That's a massive assumption to make on someone that you don't know.
Speaker 1: Sally, I make I'll make the assumption. If we're talking assumptions, it looks like every assumption that was made was to reduce the work to get your mum off the missing persons not having to do inquiries that possibly should have been done. And I'm not about beating up on individual police or it's an organizational problem. There's a problem when this type of thing happens and you've carried the weight of these mistakes being made. But you're either the most unluckiest person in the world or these things. So, Okay, you found out now that your mum's not missing, that she's Yeah, so you go through life thinking, oh, well, she's not missing. My mother just doesn't want to talk to me. And my mother that I was close with my whole life just doesn't want to talk to me. Where does it ramp up again to become a missing person's well, because when you receive that, do you just go, well, am I just banging my head against the brick wall? What am I meant to do?
Speaker 2: Do? I? Yeah, one hundred percent, you do? And I think for me that was that lady contacting me through my Facebook page was early twenty sixteen, and then the language that I was getting for the remainder of that time from police was my hands are tied. I am doing this in my spare time, so I'm madly trying to shoot ideas, like you know, okay, well, why don't we check did she do a tax return? Like she's come back in on the second of August, she's left before the end, before end of financial year. Maybe if she's come back, and if money is such a drive, thinking that she's going to the bank every day for three and a half weeks to take out five thousand dollars every day, Clearly she wants money if it's her, so she might have been entitled to a tax returns, so therefore she might have done that. Can we check if she's touched her superannuation? Can we get the passenger list? I was thinking of all the things I couldn't do because I was bound by privacy, right, so her privacy madded my hopes to find my mother. Clearly didn't it. So I was giving him and feeding him all these ideas, and he wouldn't tell me much about what he'd found, or he's like, what I've heard was that he couldn't access ATO. The only people that can access ATO, sorry, the police can only access ato information if the person's in jail or in prison. He couldn't access it. So that was one part of it, and we had to wait to see if the coroner could access that information. Then he told me he'd looked at the passenger list, but there was nothing that stood out, and he told me that she hadn't touched a super and that was probably about it. And then so that's twenty sixteen. We just sort of plodding along again and I'm sort of tapping away on Facebook and I'm trying to get some people, you know, do you know anything? And can you share my story please? Someone knows something. Again, very stressful time of life, busy with three children who are now teenagers and going into high school, and you know, trying to manage life as well and not rocking myself in the corner because I think for me at the very beginning, I remember watching a story on missing persons very early on, and there was two women and one of their sons and the little boy just kept crying the entire time on the show, and I just, for me, I just didn't want my kids to have to live that, and I didn't want I just wanted to be strong, and I just wanted to be a person to go, you know what, my mum matters. She's your grandmother. I know you've never met her before, but it's really important that we do the right thing for everybody. I want everyone to know what's happened to her. And I was still probably by that point, I was starting to believe that maybe she wasn't alive because I didn't just didn't believe. I didn't believe she wouldn't turn up for Owen's funeral. I didn't believe she wouldn't turn up for my wedding when I had kids, like all these big key moments in life that she wasn't there for. So we sort of plotted along from twenty sixteen up until twenty nineteen. Well, actually that's the end of twenty eighteen, and that's when Alison, Sandy and I were put in touch with each other. And Allison works for Channel seven and a friend of hers had sort of wrung me, who knew from a parent of school, saying, you know, if I could get you onto sixty minutes or Sunday night program, would you be interested? And I said, absolutely I would. My grandmother, So my mom's mum was living by herself in her beachfront property up and the Sunshine Coast, and she never spoke about it, like we did not talk about my mum, and I didn't want to upset her. When I did that Woman's Day article way back, I got into trouble. You know, you didn't tell us you were doing it, and I was like, well, no one ever asked me what I'm doing. I don't want to. I don't know how to bring it up with you guys, because you don't want to talk about it. So I wasn't prepared to do anything. And the irony of that is, as soon as she passed away, I said to my kids and my husband, I'm going to approach sixty minutes and see if they would like to do a story on it, because someone knows something. And so I wrote to them probably five or six times, and they didn't respond to me at all, and I just thought, I'm just another missing person story that no one's really interested in. And I met Alison. We went out for a coffee and we pretty quickly decided then that the amount of information I had and the details that we were working with and there was more investigation that we could have done on the name, we decided to do a podcast. Okay, So the podcast launched on the first of.
Speaker 1: April and the name of the podcast, The.
Speaker 2: Lady vanishes, and so the ball sort of started rolling again.
Speaker 1: And I see there in twenty eighteen reference to a ministerial file, So whether a leather was fired off to politicians? Did that occur as well?
Speaker 2: Well, I didn't really know too much about that. I knew that that was something that Gary was looking into, and he was cranky about it. He said, if this is going down a rabbit hole, that's not true. I remember him saying that to me. But I didn't really know what was going on because they weren't talking to me. They weren't communicating what it was exactly for me. So I was left in the dark with that information and I don't believe it when anywhere. So I'm a bit still gray in what actually was going on with that. But at that point we launched the podcast first of April, we sort of put a call out. I guess Joni who you'll hear about soon enough, Johnie Cokondos. She's researcher who has been helping me for in our six years and she was listening to the Lady Vanisher's. She's an avid listener of true crime. She's been listening for twenty years. And she said, the difference between you, Sal and other podcasts I've heard before was you actually asking for people to help. And so when I heard that, I just thought I might just sit down and have a bit of a play. And I was playing with the name Ramckurl because when she looked into it, there was no Ramackeurls in Australia except for my mum. And we were like, oh, this is a pretty rare name. Turns out there's only one hundred and one Ramic Curls in the world. Put into perspective, so no Jane does or you know Jane Smith or anything. It's a very rare name. And she herself her husband's grandmother went missing or great grandmother went missing, and she and the family had worked for fifteen years to try and find her, and they actually did find her, and what had happened to her. She'd been deceased, but they did find her. And she just thought to herself, I've got these tools here that potentially I can help Sally. I'll just have a bit of a play around and see what I find. She was sick, she had the flu, and she was up at midnight and she punched it in and this ad binged up on her screen. She's so excited she jumped ran and jumped in on her husband. She said in Oh my god, I found something. I found something. And so that ad was in the La Courier Australian. It's a French speaking newspaper that runs out of Sydney, and it was a gentleman with the initial M and then f ramachel and it sort of just goes along, you know, single forty seven I think he I think it was he was forty seven. The ad was written in nineteen ninety four and it Stilla talks about his single, good looking, non smoker, non drinker, a polygue loot speaking multiple languages and bon chik boncha, which is like a term that he put in there, which we've found out means good taste, good style, and looking for a relationship, potential marriage. And it had a po box in Ballina, New South Wales with a phone.
Speaker 1: Number okay to keep our listeners on a song with it. You've got the surname, a unique surname. It's the same surname as your mother changed her name to correct. And there's an advertisement ninety four of a gentleman around your mother's age putting out interested in meeting someone.
Speaker 2: Correct and he's in Ballina. And for the geographical sense of of the exercise, my mum's money was coming out in Byron Bay. Ballina is the next town on northern New South Wales. So our heads were spinning at that point. We know that the police tried to find records of who owned that phone number back then, and they kept hitting brick walls, tell us you don't have records going that far back, and that was all legit like that was the case. But it actually took a gentleman who is a local. He'd listened to the lady Vanishes as well, and he just took himself down to the local library and hand scanned all the phone books at the time and then ran it through micro fish and he found the phone number and it was linked to a business called Baalana Coin Investments had the address of where the property was in Ballina as well, so link. Yeah. So I've found some amazing people through this who have just helped me or helped us, like everybody in the mix be able to get to where we are today. And anyway that the owners of that business were called Frederic Heavedariry and Dianda Heavedariry. Frederic to Heavidairy turns out to be Rick Blum.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, well, Rick Blum, or that's what we'll call it. Call him here. Let's because I wanted to see how it's all tied in you. You've explained it very clearly to me, having read film in the pieces that I didn't fully understand through the report from the coroner. So we've got this person by the name of Rick Blum. Now you've told us how it became involved in the investigation in the inquest that was run. I just want to read something out. I'm being careful here that before we start talking about Rick Blom, I want to put on record he's not been charged with anything relating to your mother's disappearance. So we put that on record. The state coroner, in her findings regarding mister Blom stated, and he gave evidence at the inquest into your mother's disappearance thirteen days and this is what the coroner said in her findings. I do not accept as accurate anything mister Blom has said in evidence, in the absence of independent corroborating evidence, that's fairly powerful, powerful comments to make about the witness.
Speaker 3: Your thoughts, Oh my thoughts, Look, I have a lot.
Speaker 1: Can I retract that question? Can I just say, because we're going to wrap up part one in a sect, but let's just I want to make another comment because, as I said, I went through the coroner's findings and it's very comprehensive. The coroner also made these comments about the person we know is Rick Blom quote from the coroner's findings. Throughout his adult life, mister Blum has routinely changed his name. He admitted before the court to using a number of different aliases over the years, including the following. And I'll try and pronounce it these properly, but they're a wide range of names. So Bernard DuPont, Fernando, Nicholas, Remarkale, Frederick, David Dexavier, Rick Blum, rich Richard's, Richard, Lloyd west Richard Lloyd Westbury, Rick Richard, Rick west Wiley, Copperyle Wiley, David Copperiley, Wiley, Wooters, Shane, Frederick, David Dexavier and Zabdel Zilling. They're fourteen names. Yeah, so let's let's just conclude, just.
Speaker 2: To help you with some of the pronunciations, please.
Speaker 1: Because I want let's do it this way with the with the pronunciations. If people are listening to this podcast, maybe these names mean something to them.
Speaker 2: So the Heavin Dairy, Heavindary is their surname, Bernard du pont yep. And what are the ones were there? Oh, Willy Willy.
Speaker 1: Wooters, Willy Wooters and.
Speaker 2: Willy Copperoll so Copperanole is his birth name.
Speaker 1: Okay, fourteen names, and we.
Speaker 2: Have actually found fifty two aliases.
Speaker 1: I don't think we can read those all out, but.
Speaker 2: I didn't even have the list here with me. But that's that's what we have found in our investigations so far. But they are the ones that were read out in the inquest.
Speaker 1: Okay, and look, we're joking about this, but it's not not a joke. And I'm reading this out and this is all I'm choosing my words carefully because these are comments from the coroner that had the inquest running over an extended period of time. We're going to take a break here. When we get back, I want to find out more about Rick Blom and also talk about all the extraordinary stuff that was uncovered during the inquest. And I'm going to ask you an important question. I'd like to just get your thoughts on it. So let's take a break and we'll be back for part too shortly