Speaker 1: Nick Wignoll, Welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 1: You are the first.
Speaker 3: Individual from Albuquerque, New Mexico, and that's so New Mexico south southwest.
Speaker 2: We're kind of sandwiched in between Texas and Arizona.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. I've been around that area.
Speaker 4: G thirty years ago, I was traveling and working in the States and we had an RV and.
Speaker 1: Went all the way round that.
Speaker 4: Man, just this scenery is unbelievable, isn't it wild?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it can be so diverse, it can change so quickly. You know, you're you think you're in the desert, and all of a sudden you're up in the mountains and there's aspen trees.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's wild. Yeah, it's pretty fantastic stuff.
Speaker 4: So, mate, you are a clinical psychologist by back, I'm true, but also the founder of loom, where you do high performance stuff for businesses, for leadership teams and that sort of thing. But today we are we're going to poke the burr a little bit, right because I've had quite a few clinical psychologists on all talking about the positive stuff. And you've got a really cool newsletter and you take a different slant on things and So first of all, let's talk about emotional intelligence. Emotional intelligence is everywhere, right, and people talking about how we need to increase our EQ and all of that, and there's businesses that do EQ training, and now you have a bit of an approach that it's a bit overrated, so they can tell us what you mean by that.
Speaker 1: Let's dive into that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, part of it is maybe I'm just sick of seeing it everywhere and hearing everyone talk about it and kind of what I would consider slightly sloppy terms, like it's kind of vague in general what people meeting by EQ or by emotional intelligence. So I think what And the first thing I'll say is like, overrated doesn't mean important, right, And that's really is. It is important, But I think the question is important relative to what else because we all have limited time and energy to put into things and to focus on things, especially to try and work on ourselves and improve ourselves and our teams. Right, we have limited amounts of energy and time and resources, so that this really matters. And the place I like to start is very few people outside of academics actually care about emotional intelligence itself as an outcome. They want the things that come from emotional intelligence. Ostensibly, they want better relationships. They want more intimacy or trust in their relationships at home or at work. Right, they want to they want to be more resilient in the face of big, difficult emotions they get super angry, they don't want to lose it and get really defensive in a conversation, or they don't want to get lost in spirals of worry and anxiety. So I think this is where I usually start with emotional intelligence, is most people what they want is emotional resilience. We want to be able to experience big emotions because that's inevitable. Like we're especially if we're doing ambitious, difficult things, We're going to have difficult emotions like fear and anxiety or anger or regret, all that kind of stuff. But we don't want to get knocked over by it, right, So I think, yeah, emotional resilience is kind of the big overarching category. Emotional intelligence is an important component in that, but it's not the only component. The other, really biggest component is what I call emotional fitness, and those two things together like that I think lead us to be resilience. So emotional intelligence in my opinion. It's what you know intellectually about your emotions and how to work with them and work them well. So an example I always like to give is like, worry is different than anxiety. A worry is a type of thinking and it's something you largely have control over. Anxiety is an emotion you can't. There's no switch for like turning down anxiety. So if you struggle with anxiety, the trick is actually to focus on the habit that's perpetuating it, which is worry. But a lot of people have never even heard of that distinction. So that's an instance of understanding something about how our emotions work. But if you think about it, in any skill in life, whether it's you know, learning to play the piano or running marathons or negotiating or whatever, any kind of skill, insight or learning book learning is important, but it's far far from sufficient. So if you wanted to play the guitar, and you said, great, I read this great book on guitar, but like, how come I can't play the guitar anymore? Well, if you expect that reading a book on guitar is going to make you a good guitar player, like you're out to lunch. But weirdly, when it comes to emotional health and resilience, we think, oh, if I just heard this great idea, I was listening to this podcast, or I read this great self help book, that should be enough, Right, Not at all. That's the very first step, most of the effect. If you really want to be have kind of emotional strength and be resilient in difficult situations, that's a muscle, right, and you've got to exercise that muscle. You got to develop it, you got to practice. That's the emotional fitness part. So the reason I say emotional intelligence is overrated is to kind of, you know, provoke people a little bit into realizing you're putting all your time into trying to understand stuff intellectually at the expense of actually practicing, putting in the reps to do the work that's going to actually lead to that resilience in the long.
Speaker 4: I really like the term emotional fitness for a couple of reasons. I often talk about stress fitness and talk about the analogy with physical fitness, right, and I think we can do the same with emotional fitness. Is that there's a continuum, right, It's not just an on or an off it is a continuum. There are low fit people, there are medium fit people, and there are high fit people. And then you ask anybody a massive audience, what is the thing that distinguishes high fit physically fit people from low physically fit people, And they will all tell you it is that they do the work, and they do the work consistently, right, And I think it's the same with stress fitness. And what I'm hearing from you is it's the same with emotional fitness.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: It's not just something that's a gift. Yes, there's a little bit of genetics involved in all of this stuff, right, but a lot of it is about doing the work. And if you want to be high fit, you have to constantly do the work. And if you stop at any point doing the work, you're going to go down and continuum, whereas if you just sit there and do nothing, you're obviously going to be low fitness.
Speaker 2: Really yeah, and you know, I think that's exactly right. But I get a little frustrated with my own field of clinical psychology and counseling and therapy because I think we perpetuate this myth that like, well, you can just come in and like talk about your stuff or like read stuff and somehow proof magically that'll make everything better. There's nothing wrong with therapy. Like I was a therapist for a long time. I think I think it could be really powerful. But it's just it's just the first step, right, It's what are you doing in between your weekly sessions every single day to get better, to get more resilient at dealing with anxiety or you know, figuring out how to understand and work through your tendency toward depression or that's just that one hour in a day, one hour week when you're talking to me. That's great, but that's that's just the tip of the iceberg. Most of the effects is going to happen in between. It's all those practice sessions you are or aren't doing in the meantime.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, And and there are a lot of people, I think who go to talk therapies just so that they can unload and be heard, and then they walk out and they do nothing, and they expect a different outcome. I'm I'm not such a big fan of talk therapies that that don't have an action associated with.
Speaker 1: Them, you know.
Speaker 4: And I'm I'm poking the bar a little bit when it comes to psychology on.
Speaker 1: This, what what's your what is your view on that?
Speaker 4: You know, people, I think that that there's a little bit of a risk that in Western psychology we have become too much about may may may may me and who's doing what to me?
Speaker 1: And woe is me?
Speaker 4: And that can be sometimes reinforced if there's no self reflection and action, particularly what's your thoughts around.
Speaker 2: I think it's a huge risk that almost nobody talks about with psychotherapy or counseling, or coaching or or a lot of these self development programs, is they can unintentionally I don't think anyone is deliberately doing this, but they can unintentionally reinforce patterns of dependence and sort of low agency. So you go in in part because you know the we we approach something like therapy like we approach medicine, which is where right or wrong. I think there's a good indication, not a very helpful way anything about physical health either. But we think like something hurts, so I'm gonna go and im and talk to doctor. They're gonna figure out what's wrong. They're gonna be a bunch of tests. I don't know what's happening they're just gonna like test me. Then they're gonna give you, give me a pill, maybe maybe put me under and do some surgery, and then like poof, I'm gonna be better. And we expect that the same thing that that's how you know emotional health should work too. I'm depressed or I'm anxious, I'm gonna go in some super smart therapist is going to like analyze what's wrong, and then we're gonna talk about things dot dot dot and then somehow everything's gonna be better and it just does. And again, talking can be helpful, right, and there are a lot of very smart, insightful therapists. But if your model is that I'm just gonna go in, I'm going to kind of vent or talk about things and then I don't know, somehow like everything's gonna get better, Like it's just it does it. I've never seen it work that way. It always requires a substantial amount of work, like not maybe not literally sweating sometimes sweating, but like real work on the part of the person who wants to grow and improve and get better. And it's just we don't do people any favors reinforcing this model that you can just come in and like chat for sixty minutes every week and like then you'll get better.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, And I think that every not in every therapy session, but every school should be teaching kids life is hard.
Speaker 1: You know. Life is not easy.
Speaker 4: It was never supposed to be easy. And anybody who's told you that life is easy and you deserve to be happy has sorry, but they've lied to you. Life has always been hard and always will be hard, and in different ways. And it's like when we try to make life not hard, that's when I think we get in when we get into trouble, when we try to get rid of negative emotions and negative excs experiences and go, this is uncomfortable, so I just want to get rid of it. And I don't think that's the right answer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I used to see this and I still see it so often. This this counterintuitive problem where again I think it's because we have this medical model where when we're suffering emotionally, we equate pain or suffering with pathology, like that something's broken or wrong because I'm in pain.
Speaker 4: And we've been fed that though as well by largely by the pharmaceutical industry, that you know, this is something that can just be fixed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there's all. I think there's a lot to it, and I think there's a spectrum of nefariousness here. I think a lot of medical providers and mental health providers are against super well intentioned and trying to do the right thing by their clients. But the idea, if you think, if you really stop and think about it, the idea that it that if I'm feeling anxious, there is something wrong with me, something broken inside of me that needs to be fixed. This is help you go into a lot of therapy or self help books or whatever it is. The problem is, even though it feels like that, we all know that while pain is sometimes an indicator of a problem something's wrong, it's very often not that at all. In many cases, pain is a sign of growth. When your muscle's hurt after a new workout, that's literally because your muscles are growing, right, So I think to assume that pain means something is literally broken or wrong is really it's tempting, but it's so detrimental because here's what happens. There's this process that's a little nerdy, but I'll explain it because I think I think it really matters. There's this process called emotional fear learning.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: Emotional fear learning is when there's a part of your brain the amigdala, primarily which it's responsible for threats, for tracking and helping you deal with threats. So if you're walking around you see a bear jump out in front of you, it's the thing that's going to shoot you into fight or flight modes that you can run get out of there. It's really helpful if you're encountering a true threat to your something literally dangerous. But the wild thing about the amignal is, depending on your behavior, you can train it to believe that anything is dangerous. And here's this idea of emotional fear learning. If in response to a difficult emotion like anxiety or shame or sadness or or fear or anything like this, if you immediately either try to run away and avoid it or get rid of it, that's teaching your brain that this thing, your own emotions are dangerous, are threats, so that even if you feel a little bit better in the short term, you're gonna feel worse long term because the next time that emotion comes up, you're not just gonna be anxious, You're gonna be anxious about being anxious, and when your emotions come pound like this, they get way bigger and way harder to deal with. So so much well intentioned mental health advice I think is actually completely counterproductive. Like a great example of this is coping skills. You hear about this all the time, like, oh, you need more coping skills. You gotta like fill out your tool belt of coping skills so that when you get anxious, you just like whip out a little exercise and cope with your anxiety. No, this is a terrible, terrible idea, because even if you get a little bit of relief in the short term by coping with your anxiety, what your brain is learning is that anxiety is dangerous, it's bad. You're essentially trying to get rid of it. So again, you're going to be even more on the lookout. Your brain's going to be even more sensitive to anxiety, and you're going to feel anxious about being anxious increasingly. This is where people get into real problems with their emotional health. They get self critical about being sad. That's what leads to depression, right or can anyway. They get anxious about being anxious, that's what leads to panic attacks, but feeling sad, feeling anxious, feeling angry, feeling feeling guilty. These are all incredibly normal human experiences, which, however painful, aren't. They're natural, they're normal, They're not a sign that something is wrong.
Speaker 4: So sorry, it's no note. I love it and I'm completely aligned with and in a couple of comments just just on that. One is that we know that when people are just like you described, what they can actually do or what happens over time is there amigdala can actually enlarge and become more sensitive. And we see that with people who are either chronically stressed or or and stress could.
Speaker 1: Be real or imaginary.
Speaker 4: Right, And as you say, when you get worried about being worried the amygdala in functional MRI studies, when they follow people, the amygdala grows bigger. That means they become hyper vigilant, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: So the brilling is.
Speaker 4: Then non consciously scanning the environment for bad shit. And you can find that these days you just need to turn on the bloody news and then you linger on that longer than other people, and then it compounds, which is when we think about it is in a dative response if you're a key of man being in a dangerous warst right, but now it's maladaptive.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, it's it's But again, I think the key idea here is that even in that case where you have habitually trained your amigola to be hyper sensitive and hypervigilant to things, it's your brain is still trying to do the right thing. It's still trying to help you. Your brain is always trying to help you. Yeah, but if you treat it like an enemy, it's going to increasingly start to feel like an enemy. That's the problem.
Speaker 1: Like that.
Speaker 2: It's so I think so many of us, unintentionally and on the bad advice of supposed professionals, we get more and more stuck and overwhelmed by difficult emotions because we're constantly trying to either run away from them or get rid of them cope with them, right, which unintentionally just makes it harder and harder in the long run.
Speaker 4: So, so, what is a more productive strategy then, for if somebody is listening to this and going, oh, this stage just nailed me either currently are are in the past, But what is a more productive adaptive strategy? I mean, we know with anxiety exposure therapy created exposure is one of the key things, and it's it's the same as the principle with exercise training. You know, you need to progressively overload the system in order to stimulate adaptation. So what would your advice be to someone who's kind of stuck in that loop of wanting to get away from their emotions or make them disappear or cope with them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, the first thing I would just say is like, as unproductive as that can end up being if you end up backing on it, as we've been talking about it, it's very natural, So like, give yourself. Don't immediately go to start criticizing yourself now because you're doing this, it's very instinctive to want to avoid pain, and just getting critical with yourself about that is not gonna help. That's just gonna make things worse. So be careful. That's the worst thing I'll say. Yeah, in gen I mean, emotional resilience is a huge kind of topic. There's a lot of ways we could go here. I'll share with you one small but really powerful technique that I teach people in my work, especially I I have a whole course on emotional resilience called mood mastery, and the kind of the cornerstone practice in that in that program is something I'll call the AVA method. AVA like a v A. It's a it's a memory device, but it stands for these like three little simple steps that you can apply in any emotionally difficult situation. These will be you can guarantee these will be teaching your brain the right thing, not the wrong thing. And so I'll walk you through really quick. AVA stands for a acknowledge, So just very briefly label how you're feeling. I'm feeling angry, I'm feeling sad, I'm feeling you know, mad. And the key here though, is don't intellectualize we adults. When was the last time you hear an adult say I'm sad? It sounds childish, right, It sounds like the kind of thing a six year old would say. But the reason we do that is it's a subtle avoidance strategy. Saying oh, I'm so overwhelmed doesn't feel quite as bad as saying I feel really sad right now, that's prickler. It's more emotionally evocative. So we get in the habit of using vague overly intellectual language to describe how we feel. Knock it off, Like, that's the first step. Use very simple words. I tell my students, say it like a six year old when you're struggling, right, how would a little kid described this feeling. So that's the first one. Just acknowledge your emotions. And this is really fast. This is like five seconds. I feel sad and a little bit frustrated right now.
Speaker 1: And it's been shown neck.
Speaker 4: I think to reduce the emotional intensity whenever you name it right, name it to tamate. I've heard other people talk about it does.
Speaker 2: But this next step is like intensity reduction on steroids. It's this is the one that really will help you alleviate some of that intensity. The V stands for validate and validate means once you've acknowledged, okay, I'm feeling anxious, validate means it's valid It's okay to feel whatever I'm feeling. Just because it feels bad doesn't mean it is bad or that I'm bad for feeling. So I don't like feeling anxious right. In fact, it's a pain in the ass. I really wish I wasn't feeling anxious. But it's not surprising that I'm feeling anxious given what just happened to me, or it's not surprising that I'm angry given that what happened. A lot of people would be angry in this situation. It's valid, it's okay. It's what you would say if a good friend came to you and they were really sad. You'd say, I'm really sorry to hear that, like, you know, I've been there before, and it's really tough, like I understand, but it's okay, you know. So it's just being that same level of supportive with yourself instead of being critical with yourself. Oh I shouldn't feel this way, or what do I need to do to make myself not feel this way? No, you're going to validate it. It's valid. You might not like it, it might be painful as hell, right, but it's valid. It okay to feel that way. And again, this step, you're not having a therapy session with yourself. This is not sixty minutes or like journaling for half an hour. This is ten seconds. You're saying, Okay, I'm feeling really anxious right now. As much as I don't like feeling anxious, it's okay that I'm feeling this way. Okay, So that's that's step two, and then the third step, arguably the most important step is the second a, which is on your values. So many people, especially especially in like modern therapy culture, we are a little bit too obsessed with our emotions. Fifty years ago, we were probably too avoidant with our emotions. We just didn't even talk about emotions at all. Right, that's obviously not helpful. I would argue we've swung a little too far to the other extreme, where we've got kind of obsessive about our emotions. We get stuck in them. We think, we overanalyze them, we talk about them too much. I think a lot of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a great because.
Speaker 2: And what's key is the reason that's problematic is to your brain, it looks like like a fight response, like you're trying to get rid of this thing, this emotion, and that's just as unhelpful as the avoidant one. The healthy middle ground is to acknowledging it, accept it, and just let it be there. It's okay, I'm anxious. I don't have to do anything about being anxious. My brain is just trying to help me. Maybe it's a little bit confused. It thinks there's something dangerous, when really there is anything dangerous, but it's just trying to help me. And I'm not going to stay stuck in this emotion. I'm not going to keep ruminating about it or venting about it to other people. I'm going to get on with my life despite feeling this emotion. I'm going to act on my values. What's meaningful or important to me right now. I'm not going to act on the emotion. This is not coping skills. I'm going to act on my values. And when your brain sees that you are willing to get on with your life despite feeling anxious or sad or angry or whatever it is, it downregulates. It stops getting so emotionally worked up every time you feel an emotion, and your level of emotional equanimity will just be It'll be so profound once you start doing this regularly. So that's the third step. Acknowledge, validate, and then put on your values. Allow the emotion to be there, and get on with your life. Refocus on that the other person you're having a conversation with. Start writing that report you know you're nervous about writing. Go to the gym instead of overthinking about whether you should I shouldn't you know what to get on with things. So that's my I said, it's going to be brief as usual, like over talked a little bit on this, but eva aba acknowledge, validate, and then move on, act on your values. Let the emotion just be there. So that to answer you. That's a long winded way of answering your question all about.
Speaker 4: Like, but it's a great it's a great answer, and I particularly like I like all components of it, but that it is directed towards acting and linking it to values right, which is straight out of acceptance commitments that are taking.
Speaker 1: It towards move rather than away, which is hugely important. So you know, let's make it real.
Speaker 4: Let's just say I have anxiety and and you have a birthday party coming up. But you know fortis birthday, whatever it may be, is a big birthday. You invite me to the party. My brain all of a sudden is going no frequent way, no way can I go to this party. You know, everybody's going to be looking at me. What am I going to do with my hands? People are going to be talking about me, what am I going to work? All this shit goes on, and then often people do avoidance behaviors, right, they don't go to the party. They make up some bullshit excuse, Whereas what you're talking about is you acknowledge it, you validate it. It's okay to freelanxis, and particularly because I've got a bit of social anxiety. But actually a value of mine is friendship, and Nick is a very good friend of mine. So I'm going to take my anxiety with me to the party in the service of something bigger. It's not that you're getting rid of the anxiety, you take it with you, right bing.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's so right on, And I love that, like bringing friendship in. You know, psychologically, why this isn't. One of the reasons this is so important is that our values are a huge, largely untapped source of motivation that we almost never think about. We all have values. There's a reason you initially wanted to come to my birthday party, Paul, or whatever the whatever this year. You wanted to go to the gym, you wanted to do that podcast, you wanted to write that book, you want to do whatever it is. Tap into that value when you remind yourself of that value and make it clear and kind of just spend a little time thinking about it. There's so much motivation there to help you overcome that whatever difficult emotion is getting in your way. Not that the emotion's bad, it's just your brain giving you some advice and maybe it's not especially helpful advice, so you're not obligated to listen if you decide, you know what, Thanks brain, I appreciate your input, but I've really decided it's important for me to go to this, to go to this birthday party, and so I'm going to do it anyway, right, So I love your example there.
Speaker 4: And this value I actually want to really dive into the value stylence. And you know, because I think and I've been thinking about this a lot, and the kind of loss of religion in the West. Now I'm not religious at all. I'm a recovering Catholic from Northern Ireland. I've been in recovery for thirty years.
Speaker 1: But I a lot.
Speaker 4: This is not my original thinking. Lots of other people will say this, that the breakdown of religion has has had an issue, not because of the lack of religiosity or whatever, but because.
Speaker 1: You look at all religions is they give people values to live by, and people.
Speaker 4: Will then live by those shared values and they don't have to think about it too much, whereas not when there's a lot less religion, people then have to think about.
Speaker 1: Their own values and what they actually are.
Speaker 4: And when I run workshops, and I would imagine that values come into your workshops when you're when you're doing stuff in corporates. When I'm talking about it, lots of people are.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, even about what my values are?
Speaker 2: Right, But they are.
Speaker 1: A compassed by which you should be living your life.
Speaker 4: Right, It's hugely important. And and just one other comment of me before I throw back to you, and you know, talking about values and habits and behaviors, and so for me, I'm I'm arismx military. I've had an unhealthy relationship with alcohol for for for.
Speaker 1: Many years, not not not not.
Speaker 4: A ridiculous piss hit or an alcoholic, but just probably drunk too much. And you know that whole culture of binge drinking. The one thing, and it was probably a couple of years ago that I significantly reduced my alcohol consumption and now I only drink once.
Speaker 1: Or twice a week.
Speaker 4: I'll still give it a nudge if I'm out with friends and I'm no ee injel. But the one thing for me was authenticity, which is a deeply held value of mine. And as somebody who's a corporate speaker and talks about high performance, I'm not being authentic if I'm coming home on a Tuesday night and drinking half a bottler or bottle of wine, right, And so for me, it was tapping into that authenticity.
Speaker 1: And particularly when you're walking.
Speaker 4: Past the bottle shop or I don't know what you guys call them in the States, but you're walking past it and your brain is getting seduced into it, right, that's when values become really important and going yeah, wow, I'd love to do that, but I wouldn't be being authentic.
Speaker 1: So I just want to throw that back to you. That's discussion.
Speaker 2: What I like, too, is like, especially when at the end that idea of I think people miss this they think about values, is these things inside of you that you I don't know. You take a test or you listen to someone talk to you, and you kind of like uncover your values and it's like, ooh, interesting, there are values and that's great. If you haven't done that, like that's good. Work to do is to start to understand what your values are. But I think what where they get really powerful is when you start deliberately using.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: They're not just these abstract things. You should be using them on a regular bringing them into your life in difficult decisions, when you're trying to follow through on a particular commitment, when you're in a difficult conversation with your spouse or a person at work or whatever. It is like what you Know? Simon Sinek wrote that great book like What's Your Why you Know? And I think a lot of ways values are about that. It's about just this basic thing of reminding yourself there are bigger reasons why I'm trying to do these difficult things in my life, these important difficult things. And turns out if you just get better at reminding yourself of those, you have so much more motivation to follow through and do those things that you aspire to do. So it's really low hanging fruit that I think a lot of us are missing, not just exploring our values but using them right, bringing them into our lives.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent got to become part of your behavioral DNA.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: And this goes back and some of my listeners. Can They'll be rolling their eyes here right because I'm going to talk about the stoic philosophers again and arete you know arite that that whole character was really all you needed to be the good life And it was basically acting with integrity and being true to your values or your virtues as they called them in those days, and that was really all that you needed. And it's actually really powerful when you go into a situation and that could end up in a heated argument, but you tap into some of your values or your virtues and actually take the higher grind and then reflect on it later on and go, actually, that was good behavior, Well done me nice.
Speaker 2: I like that little reflection afterwards. It makes me think I was just doing a little workshop on communication, like people who are difficult communication scenarios. And we're talking about boundaries, right, So there's a hot topic these days. Everyone wants to know about like setting down yes. And I think boundaries are important. But I think something people misunderstand about boundaries is they think of them very negatively, like it's all about saying no, and then someone violates your boundary and you say no and you yes, yes, and that's part of it. But I think what can be really powerful people if you're trying to set, you know, a boundary, maybe with a you know, a manager at work or a relative or whatever it is, your kids, even it's important to remind yourself maybe them too, that the reason you're saying no is for a bigger yes behind it. You're not just saying no to be difficult or to be a pain in the ass, right, You're saying no because there's something, There's some bigger important value on the other side. Like why am I saying, you know, well, my kid wants to play locks for you know, the third hour in a row on Saturday, and I say no, I'm going to go for a run. I'm not just saying no because I you know, I don't like my kid or something. I'm saying yes to self care, to my health and to taking care of myself.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, So I'm not just being saying no to be mean, right, I'm saying no because I'm trying to balance many values. I won't quality time with my kids, but I also really value my health, like I want to be around for a long time with them. It's the same no to some playtime on Saturday, so that I can say yes, right to exercise because health is a really important value for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very good point, Very good point. And let's not let's move on to the next topic. That was a rather deep little rabbitovey.
Speaker 1: But that's co so link to all of this stuff.
Speaker 4: It's kind of intertwined in it. But you have this this concept that stress management is a bad idea, and I think we're going to be following a familiar theme here, right, Yeah, so this.
Speaker 2: Is definitely a little poking the bear. It's not just provocative. I think there's a deeper truth on your here. But something I see in a lot of my work, whether it was for years when I was doing therapy with folks but now in more of my corporate work or with my students, is managing your stress can often be a distraction from doing more important. Now, what I mean to this is, I think there's this important distinction between stress and a stressor. Right, so if I'm out for a height and again, like a bear jumps out in front of me, the you know, me feeling tense and my heart rate going up, and like that's a stress response. Stress is what happens to your body physiologically, the stressor is the bear, right, that's the thing triggering or generating the stress in the first place. So it's really what people end up doing, though I think is so problematic is they forget about the stressor and all they're doing is thinking about the stress anytime they get stressed. The question isn't why am I getting stressed in the first place, The question is how can I feel less stressed, which, again very normal thing to want to feel like I hate feeling stressed, Like I don't want to fel stressed when I'm stressed. And I think there are times when literally managing your stress, do some deep breathing exercises or go for a run or like whatever it is, like, that's fine. But what I don't like is where we get so consumed with managing our stress that we don't focus at all and do anything about the origins of that stress. And where I see this a lot is this usually takes the form of assertive communication. If you're chronically stressed, nine times out of ten, it's because there's a difficult conversation you need to have that you're avoiding. It might be with your spouse, it might be with your manager, it might be with your kids, it might be with your parent, it might be their best friend, it might be with your barista at Starbucks. I don't know, right, but so often the source of our chronic stress is an actual issue or problem out there that we need to address, probably a conversation that we need to have, but because it's difficult and uncomfortable addressing the source.
Speaker 1: We end up.
Speaker 2: I like people do this explicitly, but because it's easier, right, we fall back to, well, I'm just going to do some deep breathing as sizes, or I'm gonna have a glass of wine or whatever. I'm just going to try and manage the stress itself. So any we can probably get into more of this. But that's what I don't like about the idea of stress management is that it's often an avoidance mechanism for looking about these sources of stress in the first place.
Speaker 1: And I would build on this.
Speaker 4: What I don't like about the term stress management is the inference that all stress is bad and has to be managed. Right, there's you know, there's de stress, and there's you stress, and you know anybody here's who's listening. I want you to think about your biggest achievement in your life, like the stuff that you are super super proud of, And then did it involve stress and being out of your comfort zone? And I guarantee you, for ninety nine percent of people, the answer is a resignding yes.
Speaker 1: That is where we grow.
Speaker 4: And I think we've we've created a society where this whole idea that stress is bad and is making things worse for quite a lot of people, and that that that your.
Speaker 1: Attitude as well.
Speaker 4: And this opens up the whole conversation around this, this attitude around challenging threat that we know that if we are me and you are faced with the exact same stressor if I view it as a threat, it I start to become have all those negative emotions and avoidance behaviors. But what it does physiologically that threat and psychology activates cortisol and the major stress hormone, which.
Speaker 1: Has a half life of more than an r.
Speaker 4: Whereas if you view the same thing as a challenge, not only does that change your psychology and probably your behavior around it, but it changes your physiology because it activates your fight or flight response and the chemicals adrenaline and nord adrenaline, which you'll know is Epinefforn and nor Epeneffor and right, and they have a half life of less than a minute, so very quickly you're back to homeostasis, whereas in our leader, I'm still in a hypervigilant state. There's cortisol going through my body, and we know that chronic cortisol ravages your body in your brain, and a lot of that comes from people's just their attitude around it. And that's one of the reasons why fundamentally I hate the term stress management, and that you know, we need to encourage people to have more of that challenge response. But again, I'll just finish off with my rant, is that a challenge response, like I can only really have a challenge response if I believe that I have the resources to be able to deal with it. And that actually comes back to having done hard stuff in a lot of and a lot of things. I believe that I can do this because I've done this before, Whereas if I have a history of avoidance behaviors, of course I've got no belief that I'm going to be able to come this challenge, and then I'm gonna go into a threat response and avoidance behaviors and blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, that's my runt. I'll throw that back over to you.
Speaker 2: I love this because it reminds me of one of my favorite ideas in all of psychology and really in all of life, I think, but I think about it in the context of psychology all the time, and that is it's kind of a mouthful, but incrementalism, and incrementalism is kind of a fancy term for this thing we all basically know, which is if you want to get better at something in life like, it basically requires slow, steady progress. You do. You know, if you want to learn, if you want to be a great piano player, you don't just try and play Beethoven. It's not gonna work. You're gonna suck and then you're gonna feel bad. And it's like, that's not how you do it. What do you do? You play Twinkle Twink a Little Star right until you get kind of good at Twinkle Twink a Little Star. Then you play chop sticks, then you play whatever, and you slowly but surely incrementally, you work your way up, building both competence, ability and skill, yes, and confidence. That's where confidence come, everyone wants more confidence.
Speaker 1: Like confidence comes from competence, right exactly.
Speaker 2: But I think a lot of people make this mistake, especially with kind of personal growth, self improvement, psychological type topics. Again, they think, oh, I read this great book about being more assertive, so I'm going to go like barge into my boss's office and like demand a fifty percent raise or else I'm quitting or something, And then like that doesn't go real, Well, that's because you haven't practiced being more assertive in kind of a gradual way. Or you decide, Okay, I'm gonna do this big thing, and then you chicken out every time. Why is it because you're not It's not because you're a bad person. It's because you're trying to play Beethoven when you haven't learned how to play Twinkle Twinkle.
Speaker 1: A Little Star.
Speaker 2: So I think this applies to so many situations. Is that important to check ourselves and say, yes, we want to get up here, right, but what are the steps I need to take to get up there? Can I design kind of a training program for this? I used to all the time with my anxious clients, like, yeah, you don't want to have panic attacks when you're driving anymore. I get it. But what we're gonna start with is little tiny bits of anxiety, and you're gonna get better at feeling the anxiety and being willing to have it and to continue talking to me sitting in a nice comfy office.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Then once you're better at that, we're gonna go for a walk around the block, right, or we're gonna go to the grocery store together, and you're gonna get a little bit more anxiety, but you're gonna slowly build up the skill so that you really believe it. It's not just me. You're like cheerleading therapist telling me you can do it right. No, you have confidence because you have shown yourself that you can do it. So I think this is just so important. I think any good therapist or coach who's worth their who's worth their wait and whatever. I think we'll adhere to this on some level because it's it's just the only way anyone grows in anything. I think.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: So we forgot about that at our at our peril.
Speaker 4: And I think Nick buried within that message, I think is one of the best bits of parenting advice. If you want to bring up well rounded children. Is they get out of this bullshit idea that came out of the States in the nineteen eighties of you should just boost your kids' self esteem and tell them that they're awesome and they're brilliant and they can be anything that they want to be.
Speaker 1: As you rightly said, and.
Speaker 4: Any good sports psychologists will tell you this, that confidence comes from competence.
Speaker 1: What you just talked about.
Speaker 4: So if you want your kids to grow up as well rounded, confident individuals who are adept at stuff, is slowly build up their confidence by getting them to do incrementally hard stuff. Right, That's the thing, not telling them they can be anything they want to be could because there's a friggin' bell curve for a reason. Not everybody can be an astronaut. Right, Yeah, whatever, But I think that, God, I think it's a poor message, right that. I think the message we got to give to kids is you can be the best that you can be, not you can be anything you want to be, or that you are amazing or so special, and you can be the best that you can be if you put it in the work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I feel like I love you brought that up. I was just talking to somebody about this. I got the advice early on from a psychologist, actually a good smart psychologist, who said, you cannot improve your kids self esteem. Only they can improve their self esteem. Yes, and actually you trying to do it will only make it harder from them, because it'll teach them that self esteem comes from other people, from outside.
Speaker 1: Yes, south validation from the way.
Speaker 2: To you ever have good self esteem, to assume that it's coming from others, You need permission from other people to get self esteem. Right. So the idea is more can and I think this. You know this applies to little kids, I think, but also I think it applies to ourselves, anyone who's out there listening and thinking, like I wish I had better selfish, which is something people write into me all the time about asking about is it's not a matter of like staring in the mirror and telling yourself that you're great and you're wonderful. Yes, that's like telling a kid, oh, you're the best, like you can be whatever you want to be. This is not It's well intentioned, but it's not going to do anything. I think the smarter way to think about it is how can I create the conditions such that I can build self esteem myself. And I think this idea of incrementalism, setting small, meaningful goals for yourself and following through with them regularly. I think that so that you can develop that competence and confidence. That's where self esteem comes from. Self esteem is an output, it's an effect. It's not an input. You don't do self esteem. It happens as a result of doing things that you can be proud of, right, And I think building, But I think the key there is that idea of if you're struggling with that, start smaller. If you're struggling, do something smaller, so that you can give yourself the chance to build up even a tiny amount of competence and then the confidence that comes with it, and then you can do a little bit more the next time. So I think it's a great little till. Like if you're running into problems like always get smaller. What's the What's what's a smaller unit that I can try to tackle so that I can build up that that confidence and competence.
Speaker 4: And I think that gets combinded today. The issue of this is combinded today with social media and particularly especially teenager but not just teenagers and is everybody and looking on social media and the ridiculous amount of upwards comparison that we have.
Speaker 1: You know, we see.
Speaker 4: The best little herb brush snapshots of people's lives. We don't see all this shit that's going on, and often we don't see reality.
Speaker 1: And that's what's called an upwards comparison.
Speaker 4: I'm comparing myself, which is what the human braind does, especially teenagers. And when do you think of when we were kids, Like how many teenagers do we interact with? There might have been one hundred in year class at school, or or in your year level or stuff like that, and we are constantly comparing ourselves. It's a natural thing to do. But now we get to compare ourselves to tens of thousands of people who seemingly have these amazing perfect lives, and that then kind of rule our self esteem further because we think I need to be like them, and that that gap between where I currently am and where I think I should be is just way too big and often way too big to even get people started. So I love your idea of incrementalism and start small and build yourself efficacy through effort.
Speaker 2: Yeah that you know the three where I heard this. I heard this somewhere, but it was something like, if you must compare yourself to other people, compare yourself based on inputs, not outputs. So I always think, you know, Jocko has this thing and I don't really follow him, but he's got this thing where he every morning he takes a photo of his watch at like you know, four am or something of him like he's up and he's going to the gym. So it's not photos of him being jacked, right, it's photos of the input of what his photos of him getting up at a godly hour to go work out, which is something anyone can do. I can't just be Jocko tomorrow, right, I can't just look incredible, but I could get up early tomorrow and go work out. So I think it's a nice way to, you know, think about someone you admire maybe and something you want if you do want to start exercising more, you want to start writing more, or whatever it is. I do think role models can be useful. But then when you do that, look for the look for the inputs, right, what are the things they're doing that are leading to the outcome that you desire or that you want and keep your focus on the inputs, not so much the outputs. I don't I find that like a nice little distinction.
Speaker 4: Man, that that is sports psychology one oh one, right, But it's hugely important. I mean I I've been doing some mindset coaching for karate athletes and particularly the guys who are wanting to get to the Olympics of the World Championships and talking to them about process versus outcome. So many light bulbs going off right that thinking about when their performance was bad, what were they thinking about? And often it was about I'm in the final, I need to win this, right, or there's people watching me, I need to win this, and they're focusing on the outcome, not on the process, on the skills and behaviors that they need to do. So it's exactly what you're talking about, and all sports psychologists will say this is absolutely critical. Process beats outcome. Every single day of the week. You focus on the process and then the outcome will come or may or may not come. But it's about the process that's the key thing. So that's your inputs think right and completely endorsement.
Speaker 2: And it's you know, it's the emotional fitness thing. You know. So in my world of emotional health and resilience, it's if you want to be less anxious, anxiety is the outcome, Like, yeah, you want to be less anxious, like we all want to be less anxious. I think for the most part, the more important question to ask, though, is what are the inputs to my anxiety and what can I do differently there? So, when do I find myself worrying a lot, getting lost in worries? And how could I handle that better? What could I do differently when I start to when I start to worry right, or anger if I'm really angry, and like I personally am am a very impatient person. So I'm trying to like work, I'm not losing my temper with my kids as much, being a little more relaxed. But I've been trying to think about don't worry about the anger. What are the inputs in particular, what are my expectations when I'm sitting down to dinner and I start getting frustrated with my kids, because often that's what I have control over, right, That's what I can actually those are the levers I can pull and adjust, right, and if I can stay focused on those, I will then try to trust that the outcome will take care of itself. Right. So, I think even we're talking about sports psychology and you know, lifting weights, all that kind of stuff, but I think it applies to any type of goal, even these kind of emotional goals that we have, is to stop focusing so much on the emotion and ask yourself, what are the inputs to that emotion that I have some control over?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 4: And and then if you can kneel the not being so angry with your kids, we'll get you back on the podcast because that will be an absolute blockbuster.
Speaker 2: It might be a little laugh if I'm being honest, and you and.
Speaker 1: Me both, So let's let's let's let's let's let's.
Speaker 4: Let's take at different chat here, and you talk about and why we should stop thinking about insomnia as a sleep problem. That's an interesting twist, so so talk us.
Speaker 2: Through that, because bears getting really tired of being poked. Ba I used to get in arguments like fights with people at conference psychology conferences because I'd sort of poked the bear there and claim that you know, insombia is obviously classified as a sleep disorder, right, but you talk to anyone who actually studies sleep, and they will. There is nothing physically wrong with people who have insomnia. There's nothing wrong with your brain, there's no pathology involved. And in fact, people with insomnia, this is a little known statistic. People withinsomnia on average don't sleep any less than people without insomnia.
Speaker 1: Oh really, They just spend more time in bed.
Speaker 2: Spend way more time in bed, and they spend a ton of time thinking worrying about sleep or not getting sleep, anxious about sleep. So my kind of hot take on insomnia is that if you if you think about insomnia descriptively, what it looks like. Sure, it looks like a sleep disorder, right, because it's about sleep. But if you look at it mechanistically, which is how any sophisticated field in medicine, it defines its disorders by mechanics, how it looks superficially. Right. So like when you have a heart attack, right, that's defined by you know, what's going on inside your body when you're having a heart it's not defined by like the fact that you have chest tightness. It's not a chest tightness attack, right, Yes, what is with insomnia? What causes insomnia? The underlying mechanism is anxiety. It's an anxiety issue. You are trying much too hard to sleep, and because you're trying too hard to sleep, you're teaching your brain that all sorts of things around sleep and bed are dangerous, and so you're you go into a state of kind of hypervigilance, chronic worry, anxiety, which is fundamentally incompatible with rest and relaxation and sleep, which is why people struggle so much with sleep. That insomnia is literally it's a struggle with sleep. It's the lack of sleep. And so I have found Gotcha by far the most helpful way to get people out of in Zombia. And you can literally cure in Zombia quickly, like really quickly. But what it requires is this fundamental shift and you have to stop thinking about as a sleep problem, and really it's an effort problem. You're trying too hard to do something that only happens when you relax. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because if you if you are up tight, you're in sympathetic nervous system and you're in high beta wave and it is impossible to sleep if you're being as in beta waves. It has to go through alpha wave to theta to fall asleep today and deep sleep is delta.
Speaker 1: Right, So if you are.
Speaker 4: Stimularly overaraged, and you know that that's what us physiologists a psychologists'll talk about it. It's not that sort of arrisal in bad but but if you are overaraged from a nervous system perspective, good luck getting the sleep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not gonna happen.
Speaker 1: You got no chucks shut.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting all these people who struggle in somnia. They've got checklists, dozens of things they have to do every night before bed. They've got their blackout curtains and they had no blue light, and there's all their weird supplements and like all this stuff, right, which really is just a form of what I call sleep effort. You're trying hard to do something. And if you look at all the best sleepers in the world, they're not the ones with huge checklists and like meticulous routines around sleep. The best sleepers break the rules all the time and sleep like babies. You don't need. You don't need all of the tips and tricks and the funky gadgets, And in fact they often get in the way. And so there's we probably all the time to get into like the whole thing, but I will sort of leave it as a like on the mindset level, if you're thinking of sleep as this big problem you have to prepare for and solve, is it really surprising that your brain starts thinking of sleep as a problem and then you shockingly have a hard time actually relaxing and falling asleep.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, yeah. Interesting. There was a guy in university I think it was South Australia.
Speaker 4: It was one of the local universities who created this program around insmodi. So we created this ring and what happened and I actually got a ring. I was part of the study, just out of interesting. I don't have an insomni issue. But the ring would go on and it would vibrate every fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: And you actually, I had to get out of bed. You had to physically. So there's people insomnia.
Speaker 4: They had to get out of bed and they had to go and sit in another room until they felt tired again, and then they got into bed and they had to reset it and then it buzzed again after fifteen minutes and they had to get out of bed right And so they did.
Speaker 1: This for.
Speaker 4: Two nights and created massive amounts of sleep pressure and sleep debt and then all of a sudden bomb they fell asleep. Right, So just manipulation of the physiology and then all the worry and away when I am so friggin tired, If she take an insomniac and don't let them sleep for two days, they will fall asleep pretty quickly.
Speaker 2: I don't know why it's such a secret, but there's an approach, and I think it comes out of that approach of describing comes out of this. But there's an approach called cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia.
Speaker 1: Which is YIBTI.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is the gold standard. It works and I I've worked with hundreds of people with insomnia. I have never seen it not work when applied. It's curative. It literally gets rid of inzomnia, and it's so powerful and nobody knows about it. Everyone's like stuck on sleeping pills and all sorts of goofy sleep hygiene routines and stuff. And there's this approach which is really straightforward that is just phenomenally effective, So people are really interested kind of behavioral therapy for insomnia. It's this really robust protocol for dealing with insomnia. Is super powerful.
Speaker 4: I've fully endorsed that. And sleeping tablets are not the answer you're that. They don't make you sleep, they put you unconscious. The brain wave patterns are completely different, changes your brain chemistry over time.
Speaker 1: Just a not good ship.
Speaker 4: And last one just because I have to run, but I really want to talk about this one. You talk about a daily scheduled worry practice being better than drugs or therapy for chronic anxiety, and I.
Speaker 1: Think I know where you're going here, but yeah, talk us through this. I think this is genius.
Speaker 2: It's my favorite. I think it's my favorite practice in all of emotional health. It's so it's so cool, it's so simple, and it's so powerful. It is the number one thing I do that I recommend for anyone with any kind of chronic anxiety. And all it is, it's incredibly simple. All it is is you find ten to fifteen minutes a day and you make time to worry on purpose. And so what you do is you set a little timer for like ten minutes. Then you get out your little just a little pad of paper, and you just write down anything and everything you can think of that you're worried about. It could be tiny, little minor things like I forgot to get bananas at the grocery store. It could be nuclear war, you know it could, and everything in between. Anything you're worried about, you just barf it all down onto the page. Now you're not solving anything. You're not analyzing it, you're not creating to do lists. You're just getting it in your brain and putting it onto paper. After your ten minutes is up, crinkle the paper up, throw it away. Do the same thing the next day. It sounds crazy. I have never found anything as powerful as this for dealing with chronic anxiety, and I don't tend to get into it. But the basic mechanism is that it's essentially exposure therapy for chronic worry. You are forcing yourself to deliberately approach your worries instead of what we always do, which is run away from them or try to suppress them or distract ourselves from them, which only makes them more intense, which leads to more anxiety. But when you get in the habit, and this is the thing, this is not a coping mechanism. You don't do it when you're anxious. It's an exercise. Like just like you go for a run every day, you like, do your scheduled worry every day, and over time this trains your brain to have a healthier relationship with worry and anxiety. So the overall it desensitizes your brain to worried anxiety. And people who have chronic worry, they're they're highly sensitized to worry and anxiety. So you do this regularly and your overall level of chronic worry is dramatically going to decrease, and along with it your level of chronic anxiety. So it's very simple. I just described it. You anyone can do it. I actually maintain a little like my website just for it. It's called Scheduled Worry dot com. And there's a little like package so people can download like little PDAF that shows you how to do it. But it is so powerful, like it's the best if anyone's interested in this, like shoot medium, I love as you can tell, Like, I just get so stoked talking about it because it's it's really powerful and almost no one knows it about it, and it's it's cheap, it's easy, it's free. You're not like eating weird things and like ingesting strange shampicles like. It's just very it's very straightforward and awesome and I highly.
Speaker 1: Recommend very very cool.
Speaker 4: Can I suggest a tweak, Yeah, it's rather than get a piece of paper that you throw away, it's have a journal and write it down and just keep it and then six months later come back and go through it line by line to see what came true and what didn't. Because there was a paper released that you've probably seen, this paper around generalized anxiety disorder. They took a bunch of people, I think the name of the paper's worries that don't come true. They got them to write down all of their worries, and then they had to come back as a bunch of time leader. I can't remember when it was hard much later go.
Speaker 1: Through line by line and work out what came true.
Speaker 4: Ninety one percent of the shit that people worried about never came true.
Speaker 2: Nice. There's all sorts of really cool variants like that that you can do off schedule. You can get really like sophisticated with it. That's a good one, though I didn't know it was that high. I mean, that's that's I mean.
Speaker 1: It's bunkers. I'll flick you the paper.
Speaker 4: These just bonkers and when people go, oh Jesus right.
Speaker 1: But I love you.
Speaker 4: I love that scheduled worry stuff. In fact, I've loved everything you've talked about. And there's a whole heap of stuff I'd love to talk about, but we will because I have to run for an appointment, and so mere can people go to find most of their schedule worry dot com for the warriors.
Speaker 1: But you have, you've got a pretty awesome news letter.
Speaker 4: Tell us about that and more people can can follow you and find out more.
Speaker 2: Sure, I have a newsletter called The Friendly Mind. It's free. It goes ou every week every Monday morning. I've been doing it for seven years now. It's basically an advice column for emotional health, so readers write in with questions about anxiety or stress or anger or you know, depression or whatever it is. I just answer reader questions about bioty things. It's it's really straightforward, practical, kind of no nonsense and friendly. So it's free. You can sign up check it out see if you like it or not. The Friendlymind dot com. And yeah, I would love to see you on there. Thanks, Paul. I really appreciate you having me that stuff.
Speaker 4: Yep, mate, great to have you on, I love the conversation.
Speaker 1: Keep doing your ship, keep poking the bar
Speaker 2: H