Speaker 1: My Boris and this is straight Talk the Center Price welcome straight Talk.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: I actually follow you on Instagram.
Speaker 2: I saw when you followed me. I thought, I've got to get on this podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you, thank you, thank you. And and of course one of the things I got to know where his name Frooms comes from, Like, tell me about the name for rooms? What the hell does that mean?
Speaker 2: What does it mean? Yeah, it's my mum's maiden name.
Speaker 1: Oh really, yeah, so you so you just go away your mum's maiden.
Speaker 2: Name pretty much. But I thought, who has a made a name like that when I was growing up? The name?
Speaker 1: Boy, you use it enough? I mean it's a it's Froome's world, of course. But one of the things I want to talk about is your book, so I will. I'm not going to start there, though hopefully we'll evolve down there, because you know, these conversations you can go anywhere. What are you drinking? Match it to you? Are you?
Speaker 2: Yes? I have had one.
Speaker 1: I have had match it But it's a bit bitter for me.
Speaker 2: You can get used to it.
Speaker 1: Is that a hell thing?
Speaker 2: You get? The slow police caffeine?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I went through a phrase of not drinking coffee, which is very unlike me. I given to all of my vices. But I thought that's kind of something different and it's nice.
Speaker 1: Yep, did you get the next door there? Make match of two next door. I'm going to try it. I'm definitely gonna try it because I was reading about it. How you know, it's just from a health point of view, it's better for you instead of drinking coffee. Like I'm a coffee I drink too many coffees. I drink like three or four coffee is a day easy. My first one is about quarter to five in the morning. Oh really, and that's at home. Yeah, So like literally when I first wake up, like within ten minutes, I'm jamming a little like espresso down my gob and I know it's so good for me, but like otherwise, you know, I can't see, I can't walk, I can't move, and you know it's good off to me. So it was slightly off topic, but nonetheless, so I want to talk about. What I want to talk about is the origins of why you wrote the book. But before we talk about the book, can we go and also the book's title? Before we go there, let's just go back a little bit. What happened in your life that made you feel as though you should write a book?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Like and what are those events?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well I always wanted to write a book, and I've said before I think it's like part of being someone who likes to express themselves. I think a lot of people have this desire or this kind of dream to write a book. It's lucky that I have worked as a writer for ten years, so I had the skills to be able to.
Speaker 1: Do it in what capacity? Were you working as a writer for ten years?
Speaker 2: Always online? So the first thing I ever wrote was for a friend's website that she created, and it was pretty much just her and I that would write articles. The first thing I ever wrote was about my dad, like going down the street on a rollie chair from hard Rubbish. So I've always kind.
Speaker 1: Of watched what is that from herd rubbish? What is hard rubbish?
Speaker 2: You know what heart rubbish is?
Speaker 1: No, what's hard rubbish?
Speaker 2: Oh that's what we call like when you put the junk cat from your house?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what do you call it? I don't know? Junk? I have done it? Yeah, no, I totally have. But like, because you see the people driving around especially right picking up good bits of it, a good piece of furniture, and I iced to think, Oh, that's called the people are going to get sort of recycled, et cetera, or reuse it. It's called hard rubbish. So your dad is at some stage, Is it a real deal? Your dad at some stages founded a chair with rolls on it or something and roll down the hill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I remember it's so yeah, he features in a lot of my content. Maybe not as much anymore because he's down in Victoria, but I just never never forget, like he was on this roller cheat and all these kids from the neighborhood were running down this big, long street with him. But it's one of those things where I don't know if I'm remembering it correctly or embellishing it.
Speaker 1: But you wrote a story about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I guess my point being, I've always written, I've always kind of weaved personal stories into the things that I've written, not so much much to talk about myself all the time, though people might think that I do that. It's more to I guess connect with people, and yeah, maybe retaining it is.
Speaker 1: Let's just take that one story is the purpose of that though is to tell the story about what you saw your dad doing, Like, actually I'm storytelling in your case? Or is it to build a connection between the people you want to tell a story to.
Speaker 2: It's probably a bit of both. I'd honestly say it's more of Colin May. I've always just wanted to entertain. I want to I want you to read something and enjoy it and enjoy yourself. And part of that is like learning how to get into a story quickly and keep people's attention. For me, anything I ever do is about grabbing someone's attention and maintaining it for as long as I can.
Speaker 1: Here you, I mean, I look at yourself on instagramers. As you said a moment ago, on social media, you are a pretty expressy person naturally. Even when you walk in this room, like you know, you can sort of feel an energy as you sat down, there's an energy there. Is your expressiveness? Is your outlet in relation to your expressiveness social media and all your writing? Or is your expressiveness your brand?
Speaker 2: Oh well, I guess it's always. I've always had an expressive face from the very beginning.
Speaker 1: I can tell look at because that's the way you look, the way you move your face, your eyes, everything about you. I can just there's you're like an actress.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Yeah, I'm lying all the time. So yeah, I guess that's just in built into my personalities to be I guess enthusiastic is what I would call it an expressive and you're part of the expression. I think the one that I find the most rewarding because you have to use skill for it, is the writing, Whereas I think social media just the way that those platforms are designed, creativity isn't always at the forefront of that. How do you mean, For instance, on Instagram, I'm a lot more strategic than when I write. When I write, I can kind of go a bit more.
Speaker 1: On Tangent, you can wander around a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Whereas Instagram it's all very visual. To keep people's attention with the algorithm you kind of have to put on your story, for instance, a photo where you look pretty and then a photo from far away and then some text, but you have to wrap the text in photos. It's a whole.
Speaker 1: Different beast, much more strategic then.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So writing then, to some extent, is nearly a little bit of an escape because you know, like being on social media, like you are, and you're there a lot. I mean, you work it pretty hard, which is and it's always got to be on brand or what people expect of you. As to your brand is quite constraining, whereas writing by the sound of things, it allows you to escape. Yeah, you know, it's a bit more relax You can just move and move and manove yourself around the place. So is your book an escape for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely. Because of the format, it was a challenge because I couldn't use photos. I didn't want to do listicles. I wanted to challenge myself to write something as if I'm someone who studied writing, but I started I started writing on the internet, so obviously when I started, you can add photos and videos and gifts and emojis, whereas with a book. The whole time, with the expressiveness, I wanted to put emojis in there, but you couldn't. So I had to find a way to express myself in the way that emojis would be used. I'm a massive emoji fan. In the book, no, but in words, in words intense. You should see my text there Aladdin, because I find it quite funny and I like that. But yeah, I think the writing is definitely an escape in the sense that you don't have that pressure to be on and play by the social media platforms rules because every single one has a different rule. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, and most people don't realize that. I think most people who look at social media who aren't in social media but as opposed to more an observer of social media, they're not looking at They're just looking at what appeals to them. And of course social media works out what appeals to you and starts feeding it the same stuff that like in over my social media, my Instagram page, and the guys who run it in one of them sitting over here must wander to themselves when my feed is always jiu jitsu stuff like I get like so many has worked out I like jiu jitsu stuff, and it just keep feeding me this stuff time after time after And I know the guys are probably thinking, so, what's Mark looking at it all the time, but that it's very it's very clever. So you have to be clever too in terms of building your presence, and is your presence on social media? Is that a business decision? Is there a business around that for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think when I started I started my Instagram when I was working as a journalist at a young media company, and so my Instagram was purely an outlet. I would sometimes post work videos, but mostly it was just this kind of place to be silly and post whatever I wanted and be really absurdest. Whereas when I lost my job at this youth platform, I didn't have a website. I mean, I got a sub stack, which is where I have my newsletter, which is kind of where the books began, but I didn't really have an alternate platform. So now my Instagram is definitely the one place on the Internet where I put the most stuff. I'm promoting my book, I'm promoting like paid partnerships, but I'm also maintaining things that I'm passionate about. But I'm also very strategic with what I don't put there because I think it's very easy to start treating it like a diary, which I don't want to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's interesting. So you know you have paid partnerships as basically what you're saying, there's money involved, which is important. You've got to make money because otherwise, specially if you're spending all the amount of time you spend on social media and social media takes a lot longer than everybody knows, and it's just much more sort of intense, just the preparation, the editing, the whole thing. Therefore, we have to make a dollar out of it because your time you're putting into it. If you're in your sense, in your terms, you're telling us about what though on your social media. So what are you trying to build your audience off the back of, Because you know, if you don't have an audience going to you don't have any commerce involved with you. If you don't, if you know one looks at your stuff, then the agencies will pay your money to do partnerships. They won't give you any money. Tough, Like, you've haven't got a big enough audience to build an audience, you've got to have a message. So what is your message or what are your messages? What are they sort of fit around?
Speaker 2: Yes, my message always is so simple. It's to entertain. I don't think there's any higher, like higher idea at play. I don't want to pontificate. I'm not here to teach you a lesson. I'm here as like an escape and I try and make things that I find funny. And that's kind of what that's a contribution that I bring and it suits me. That's what I got into it force. I knows when I'm feeling a bit uninspired or it's feeling a bit laborious, and I think, oh, why did I get Instagram in the first place. I didn't have social media before I started doing this job. Like, I didn't have Instagram in year twelve in UNI, mostly because I was like too worried about the following count, Like I didn't want to follow more people than followed me because I was kind of been like.
Speaker 1: The top of the profile. Yeah, yeah, you follow ten thousand, you have you follow ten thousand, you have three thousand following you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't be doing that. So social media before I began creating on it was a source of anxiety, and to be honest, oh.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, I think so you got anxious about it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I've yeah, I kind of get anxious or do it Does it look like I've got enough friends? This that always kind of been very cognizant of where I stand in the social peaking order, which is part of the book as well. But yeah, I try and remind myself I didn't get into this to swipe I'm just here to create things, and that's mostly what I do.
Speaker 1: One of the things I thought you might have been doing is using comedy to talk about issues because you are you are a comedian, I mean you are. You are naturally a funny person, and you you do you do stand up comedy?
Speaker 2: No, I don't do stand up. I'll do sometimes like a cabaret sull performance. Yeah, and I'm open to doing it, but I wouldn't do like open mic or getting up every night. I tend to do a set.
Speaker 1: It's not my But you are naturally comedic in what you do. You like to take the piss out of things and sort of be funny. In fact, you take the piss out yourself a bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't mind sort of using yourself as that you're the medium through which other people might have a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah? Or does that ever sort of put are you putting yourself down?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 1: I don't understand that, Like, I mean a lot of people do it. Don't get it wrong, But how does that feel like putting yourself down?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't see it as putting myself down.
Speaker 1: I think we're making yourself the subject of the piss take. Some people might see it that way.
Speaker 2: I think typically the things that I'm taking the piss out of a thoughts that I've had, not so much. I don't beerate myself or make myself smaller on social media. I don't find that funny. I don't find self conscious kind of humor. It's not really my style. I always the way that I approach it is like And whether or not I'm doing this right now, I'm not sure. Because book promotion has taken precedence and probably everyone's probably like sick of it, But I have a book to promote.
Speaker 1: Where is your book? By the way, did you bring it in?
Speaker 2: No? I didn't see what I mean, I've been too focused on my social media.
Speaker 1: We will talk about it and we'll bring it. We'll get someone bring the book in a second. You bring one along? No, you didn't bring a book? Wrong?
Speaker 2: I know. Look, I had a whole launch in Melbourne with just family and friends, but.
Speaker 1: There's a Sydney.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying is I always figured to bring it but with us. Yeah, I'm wearing yellow. That's part of the covert's yellow.
Speaker 1: The cover's yellow. But because I was going to just flash up there in front of the camera say buy this book. And I don't get you to sign up if you don't mind sending me a sign one please because because clearly the book's important part of your party life. And I want to talk to and I did talk to you about it a moment ago about and I did Ashmoga, And you haven't quite answered me yet. What are the things that happened in your life that you inspired you either that or motivated you to put into this book? So they body image for example, those sorts of things, Yes, talk to me about that.
Speaker 2: So I never thought that I would write anything personal. Like I said, I'm here to entertain. I want to make it about my internal thought process is that people have also experienced. That's when I'm funniest, I think is when I'm writing about something that I think, oh, maybe no one else thinks like that. Turns out everyone thinks the same. So the book is kind of an extension of that. But I focused on my experience of an eating disorder and cosmetic surgery.
Speaker 1: You had an eating disorder, yes, in which way you ate too much, you ate not enough.
Speaker 2: What they kind of see nowadays is it kind of both to be honest, but it really became a problem when I was anorexic or I had anorexia. Rah, you won't call someone an anorexic. And that was when it tipped over. And that's because of processes where if you get too hungry, your brain stops working. So that kind of eating disorder, I think gets a lot of attention because of that reason and because there's a lot of physical changes. But then I went into I had believe in before that, So.
Speaker 1: That's often difference between the two. Believe is the one where you go with pure gup all the time after you eat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or you can do other and I won't get into them, but you can do other kind of purging behaviors. Exercise a lot, do things some mitigate eating, and it's often not necessary and it's very cyclic. You stay in a cycle.
Speaker 1: And when you were anorexic, do you mean you were anorexic looking or you were just underweight? I mean how slim or skinny did you get?
Speaker 2: So to speak, the way that they diagnose it. Part of the reason they diagnose it is when you're b and I as a certain level, but now there are you can be a higher weight and you could be the way that I am now and be classified as anorexic. It's definitely broadened because not everyone looks the same. I think we've got this very specific idea of what someone with anorexia looks, and then heats, people go undiagnosed and it goes up and down. But yeah, I was definitely. Yeah, I was unwell and it was visible and physical, and I wanted to write about that because it was very obvious and it should have been very obvious to people, But it wasn't obvious to psychologists that I saw, or doctors psychiatrists even that I.
Speaker 1: Saw during anorexic period, or you were seeing them not as an anorexia patient but as just another patient. You're seeing it for some other reason, like a mental health reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, because I was depressed and I thought that in my mind, I thought I've got the perfect body. Now I was very aware of how you know, I was, but I thought I look great. But I feel so depressed. I feel so hollow and like I don't want to do anything. Nothing means anything. I don't have friends, I'm spending so much time alone. This can't be related to the fact I'm not eating enough food. It's just something else is going on.
Speaker 1: Can you just like it helped me out here, because I like, I love my food, so I just can't sort of imagine what's going on? What? What? What? What? What? What starts off this? Let's call it this anorexic period. And I don't mean becoming anorexic like at the end of it. But what starts off this process of not eating enough nutrition for example in a broad sense. But is it an event in your life? What was it an event? Or you thought you're watching social media, thought I'm not skinny enough, or were you unhealthily overweight? What was it?
Speaker 2: No? I was always like straight size. I was never teased for my weight. I never had an issue with eating or food prior to being kind of twenty or twenty one. It started when I moved to Sydney. So I moved from Melbourne to Sydney for work.
Speaker 1: Sydney can do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that was part of it, to be honest. It was this beautiful city, lots of hills. I lived alone for the first time without my parents, so I had to learn how to cook myself food. And I had this idea that when I'm in Sydney. I'm a whole new woman. I'm old now, I'm an adult.
Speaker 1: I won did you say yeah?
Speaker 2: I was twenty three by the time I moved to Sydney, and I felt so adult. I guess it tipped into something that would be diagnosable. Kind of the way that I describe it, there's not one event. You kind of slide in to it, and then you start sliding, and then the slide goes faster and faster and faster, and it hits a point when you aren't eating enough that your brain clicks over. It's kind of how.
Speaker 1: They describe it when you say clicks over it like stops working properly or that.
Speaker 2: But it's more you kind of tip into. So prior to developing full on anorexia, I was boalimix. I would do what we were describing yep, and that had a different contour because I was still getting kind of enough nutrients, whereas when I didn't get enough nutrients with the anorexia, it's just like a self fulfilling prophecy. You don't get hungry anymore because when you're not eating enough, you're like there's a particular hormone that I can't. No, it's not serotonin, but it's one of the kind of big ones that isn't thought of. Yes, yes, somewhat. So with the dope, I meane, when you're not eating enough, you eat spikes, so then when you start eating more, it actually goes down. And that's why they speak of the hunger high and.
Speaker 1: Feel like hunger high.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like runners high. It's kind of a similar sensation in my experience. This is going to definitely need a.
Speaker 1: Trigger warning, Yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's kind of a funny thing. And I think a lot of people don't understand. How could you? Aren't you hungry all the time? I thought, no, no, if I eat, it's uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's sort of that was That is actually my question. We weren't you hungry? And then and what would compel you not to eat? But what you're saying is your own body actually stopped you from meeting because you got to high from it, so rewarded you for not eating.
Speaker 2: Yep. And I thought that I wasn't hungry, and I took a lot of pride in that I go home with my parents and they'd be eating normal food, and I think, oh, I'm not even hungry, and I kind of felt really upmore and asks about it.
Speaker 1: But how could they be eating I'm not even hungry. Like, I can control myself exactly.
Speaker 2: I can control myself. I thought I was better than people. I thought I'd unlocked this cheek code. I thought, Oh, back when I was eating a normal amount of food, what a mess? I was.
Speaker 1: Wow, Yeah, that's matt like. And what did your parents say when they saw you not eating or actually diminishing in front of them?
Speaker 2: In terms of physical I think at the start they didn't think much of it. I think they just thowt all lucinders in Sydney now. And I had lost weight before that, like, for instance, when I was seventeen, my boyfriend broke up with me and I just was so sad that I couldn't eat. So they were used to my body fluctuating somewhat within a certain range. But I remember there was an instance where I came home and Mum picked me up from the airport, and the way home, I took my jump off and she just went ooh, you're not losing too much weight, are you. And she had never commented on my weight before. She's very, very careful not to do that, I later learned just because she had experience in eating disorder throughout her whole twenties and the way that it went away. She would just say to me, something clicked and I didn't have it anymore. So she had kind of somewhat of an understanding of what my brain was going through, but she was at a loss as to what to do about it.
Speaker 1: So what break broke the cycle? Was it your something?
Speaker 2: It was a confluence of a lot of things. I think it stops. I started getting better.
Speaker 1: When I was twenty five or that many years.
Speaker 2: Two years, yeah, probably three two or three years. Yeah, But I think the real eating issues started probably when I was twenty so probably five years then at a couple of years. I probably didn't fully recover until I was twenty eight. I turned twenty five, and your prefrontal core tex developing is a really big part of it. So maturation is something that can help a lot of people get out of eating disorders and disordered eating. Funnily enough, I think it was having a really great relationship with someone who I knew liked me, not because of my body, and he was a friend of mine first, and I'd never kind of experienced that. I think I'd always had relationships that we had a very power dynamic that was typically male female, whereas this kind of felt like an equal partnership and I felt like this person liked me because I was funny. We had a lot of fun together. So that helped me kind of get out of my body.
Speaker 1: Did previous relationships that were based on physicality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so yeah, looking back, I think so yeah. My early twenties and my teenage years right about that somewhat in the book, but I don't get too much into it. So maturation, having a really beautiful relationship that wasn't about the way I looked COVID, and having a lot of time to spend with my friends, and pulling back a bit off work because for me, the eating disorder was very much related to working in the media and thinking I had to be a certain way to be taken seriously or listened to as a woman. And I still think that there is part of it that I'm sure it helped, because for a lot of people, the thin ideal is so interlocked with being successful, and people see you as very thin. Again, they say your willpower, people say, look your wheel power.
Speaker 1: How do you do it in chocolate or whatever? We're all going to eat cross ons for because I'm in the kitchen, especially in especially in media. Yeah, but you're not. How come you're so strong? That's and that's a reward in itself, yep, because it's sort of confirms or affirms in your own brain. And I'm doing the right thing here because everybody else is socializing. Everyone's telling me the answer. Telling me this now because I noticed it in the brief that you work with Flex. Yes, yeah, he's also been on the show Flex. Mummy is mommy Flex my good friend. She went to Melbourne a couple years ago. She still know Melbourne. Yeah, yeah, so we're doing a radio show. What were you doing with them?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were doing a radio show and a podcast. By the time we did that, I was very much on the way to recovering and probably had already recovered.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we're still going ab with a dude, the guy. So like, I just don't know how you like, I can imagine. I can't imagine and how someone could change the eating strategies, For example, I could not change meeting strategy from where I am now right, and whether it's to eat more or eat less. I just got an eating strategy, if you're eating strategies, is to eat less and not eat hardly at all. I would imagine it's extremely hard to turn your brain around, get your brain to make that change, especially when, as you just mentioned, I didn't know this, but you were getting rewarded with various Horner releases in the brain, sort of getting rewarded for not eating. How do you go about you going to see psychiatrists? Does your mum help you? I mean, what's the process who grabs you by the hand and says, come on, let's go down this way and we'll sort of the.
Speaker 2: Only person who can grab your hand is yourself. That's not to diminish the help that psychologists and psychiatrists can give you. However, I do think that a lot of the experts that I saw didn't understand eating disorders. That's a problem across the board. There are specialists. I worked very closely with the Inside Out Institute, which is specifically for eating disorders, and I think for people who are experiencing disordered eating or stuck in some sort of cycle, it's so important that you see an expert who understands it. So for instance, when I started eating more and it tipped and it went the other way, I saw a psychiatrist because I thought, oh, I don't want to do this. This must be related to something else that isn't to do with the eating disorder. And you put me on an appetite suppressant, which is the appetite appetite suppressant, yeah, medication, Yeah, so stuff like that that it can be. You can be led down the garden path by so many people. And when you when you have an eating disorder, in my experience, you're so sensitive to what people say. People will say you look really healthy. It's number one thing never to say to someone who's recovering from an eating disorder, to someone who is recovering from an eating disorder, or anyone, yeah, anyone who's experienced dysregulation with food. I think because people tie food to the way you look so much, and we equate looking healthy with being fat, I think, especially if you've come out of a restrictive eating disorder.
Speaker 1: So when someone is let's call it, use the word, say the word fat, there's an association with that being healthy. Do you think.
Speaker 2: After being underweight, when you become a quote unquote regular weight and people start saying that you're healthy. It's just the number one thing you shouldn't say, because in your brain, even though you are say a regular size again quote unquote, because you know and he sucks me regular for you, it makes you You were already so hyper vigilant of the way that you look, when you're reminded by other people, it confirms this bias in your head that you have, that everyone is noticing and everyone cares. And to be honest, the first time I wrote about my eating disorder online was because I was gaining weight and I was so worried that people were looking and thinking, Oh, she's failing. She mustn't care about work anymore. Look, she's, you know, getting fat. And that's why I wrote about it. I didn't write about it to help anyone. I wrote about it because I was ashamed and I felt like I needed to get ahead of some narrative.
Speaker 1: Well, so now it's a good time to tell us the name of your book, And why did you call it that?
Speaker 2: Yes, so the name of my book. We'll just pretend it's yeah. Is all I ever wanted was to be hot? And I call it kind of part memoir, part manifesto about my experience of an eating disorder and cosmetic surgery. How I felt when those when those were really big parts of my life, and then reflecting on it as someone who's nearing thirty and having kind of a lot more life experience than when those things started.
Speaker 1: And are you taking the pierce when you say I always wanted to be hot? And if not, what do you mean by that? Like a and what is hot? Yes, I mean it's the social environment, of social media environment, what looks, what is considered to be hot? What is hot?
Speaker 2: So the title maybe go back and kind of explain it. When I started writing the book, it was first about my disordered eating and then I thought I also needed to talk about it.
Speaker 1: We had a title.
Speaker 2: Before I had a title, Yeah, the title was originally something else, and I was writing with this other title in my mind. And funny thing happens when you're writing a book. I feel like when you have the title first, you kind of arrange the words around that kind of expression or that kind of idea. Probably got sixty percent into writing it. And I started writing about the cosmetic surgery, and I thought, no, that the guiding star through my whole life, and the reason I made so many decisions was because I wanted to be hot. And to me, hot is about being desirable and desirable to people who have a very specific idea of what a desirable woman looks like. And to me, it was what I imagined a thirteen year old boy would think he is a hot woman, so to be in demand, to be popular, to be the kind of person who would look like they fit in on TV as a news presenter.
Speaker 1: Since so it's we're not talking about the bikini model hot type of.
Speaker 2: Thing or no, But I mean that'd be nice too, But it's more hotness has power. To me, hotness is a woman's power, and it's the way that she gets noticed. And I always felt like I always felt that I had a lot to offer. I felt that I could be entertaining, I could keep people's attention, but in order to get it and to not be mocked, I couldn't be fat, I couldn't be ugly, and I couldn't also look like I was trying too hard. So for me, if the cosmetic surgery was definitely swept under the rock for so many years, and if I started dating someone would take me ages to tell them that I'd had a rhinoplasty, for instance, because I I'm like a no shob no job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, is that the cos Many surgery you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's one of I've had.
Speaker 1: Just listen the off Yeah, go for it.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: Please, because I'm curious, totally curious.
Speaker 2: So to rhinoplasty. When I was seventeen, fresh out of school, just got off the plane on school. Is I had a brestle went when I was nineteen.
Speaker 1: Augmentation yep, boob job job, yep.
Speaker 2: I had a second runer past you. When I was twenty one, I started getting botox. I think when I was twenty three, got lip filler for the first time, around the same time as the breast implants. And yeah, that's kind of And then I add on top. I think things like hair extensions. I'd bleach blonde hair for fifteen years, faate tan, fake tan, machine lashes, everything, everything you could think of that enhances your appearance. I've thought about it or done it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So and when you're doing that, that's mad that list. But when you're doing when you're sort of going through the process, is it more process or is it actually your strategy you think you hang on, I've got to get a boob job, I've got to get my lips fuller. And it's for these reasons like full lips look more attractive to or is it because everyone else is doing it? And when I compare myself to everybody else on TV or wherever the case may be, on my teeth white enough, Like when you watch television, everyone's got some of the times their teeth are so bright they jump out at you. It's interesting you when you first walked in, you asked about the lighting, and so you're still conscious of this stuff you were well aware of it. Is it was that your hyper awareness of what looks what you supposed to look like, for example, in the media as a power person. Yeah, for sure, that's what hot meant to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And did you have icons of somebody who was a proxy to that? Did you say that person there, I want to look like her.
Speaker 2: Oh, not necessarily. It's all been very insular. For instance, when I had a RUNO plus seat, I didn't know many people who had had it, and celebrities didn't really admit to them. So there were people that were before and afters that you could find on the Internet, but it wasn't kind of talked about as often as it is now. I love Sandra Sully, which is quite random.
Speaker 1: Is a newsreader.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I loved watching her growing up. So yeah, for a long time when I was a kid, I wanted to be a newsreader. And they're very quaieft and perfect. But in terms of social media, for instance, I wouldn't look at pictures of women in their bikinis. I never put them on my wall like a lot of women did. I was very much thinking of it, like you say, as a strategy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, but the reason you didn't put well, they less pick. The Kardashians, for example, is just one I know of. You know, they're all very curvy, and they have this straight hair and there's a look, it's a look, okay, And I see a lot of women here in Sydney, at least young women who look like a Kardashian to me when I look at it. How were you ever around that territory? Do you ever think to yourself, that's that's my icon, that's my proxy.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: No, So when you say hot, then you're not looking because you know a lot of guys who would say that's hot. That's probably not what guys are thinking that's hot. It's hot is more in relation to what you wanted to do in a career sense. Who's my icon in my territory?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would be someone like a Channel B presenter. So I always had short hair, like all through my eating disorder, I had a shaved head, or I had very shaved head, yeah, or like a little fringe kind of like very anti male gaze. Not for any reason. I just loved that aesthetic, And honestly, I thought you had to be a certain.
Speaker 1: Anti would you say anti male gaze?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't. I wasn't doing it to try and like push men away. I was still definitely interested in being having attention. But I also had this kind of like my friend calls it terminal uniqueness, where you want to be different to other people. I didn't want to be like regular girls. They also call them pick mesha. Have you heard of that? No?
Speaker 1: Tell me does that?
Speaker 2: Pick mesha? So they call certain people pick me. It can be any gender where you want to be different to everyone else, and then pick Mesha is like the name for that person.
Speaker 1: Yes, So, because because when you say I always want to be hot like it's actually a little bit more obverse and than what the tie actually says, because hotness, I guess, is in the holder. Everyone's got a different view on it, but you've got a specific view of what it meant for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I guess it doesn't matter though in terms of what the book's outcome is, because given that everyone's got a different view and they all go about it, maybe perhaps in the wrong way, they've got to be careful that they don't go down the same slippery slope that you went down. Yeah, and is that the objective of the book somewhat? What were you trying to do or are you just having a yarn? No?
Speaker 2: I definitely this is one thing that I did have a strategy to try. And maybe I don't want to go as far as help people because I think some people would read it and just be entertained. But for me, things that I'm passionate about are having more regulation in the cosmetic surgery industry.
Speaker 1: And regulation in that who can go and get it?
Speaker 2: Probably who can get going? No, not so much that, because I think people should be able to make their own decisions for their body. But I think there are certain safeguards that would be helpful. I regret getting a breast oumentation. When I was nineteen. I didn't know what. I didn't think about in ten years time, which is now. I didn't think, oh, you know, they have like ten to fifteen year limits.
Speaker 1: And in terms of the life of the implant, the implant, yeah, so what happens at the end of the ten years.
Speaker 2: Two things, You can get them out because they can rupture. So a lot of people realize it's time to get them out because they rupture in your body. There's no it's not it's not fun, or or you can just get them out because you know you might need a lift or this or that because they like stretched the skin. But I went and got a I had an appointment a month ago to try and talk about getting them out. I thought, now that I've written a book, I'm like, you've had money to get my breast implants out. I think it'd be three thousand dollars. It's going to be at least twenty thousand dollars. Yeah. And when I was nineteen, I thought, oh, no, no, no, I'm to be I'm going to be married by the time I'm thirty with a house imports here and I'm probably gonna have like three kids. You know, you have such a different idea of what your perfect life looks like when you're thirty and it creeps up and you real quick and what you want that's not at all what I see for myself.
Speaker 1: So when I mean, I guess lots of women get breast in plants, But when do you think it's a good idea to get cosmetic surgery? Or like, what advice would you give to some person who's a younger person in particular who's thinking about doing this? I mean, because I have wondered what happens when if a woman hasn't eight kids? So what happens when you've got breast implants when you're pregnant, assuming you want to breastfeed? They don't want to get that? But what would you say to people? Because a lot of younger people getting all sorts of things done at a very young age, like nineteen eighteen, and your case that was you, what do you say to them? Get where do they get advice from? But what are the guardrails that need to be put around this?
Speaker 2: There are guardrails that are now in place, very very recently where people who are seeing a cosmetics urgent then have to go and get mental health check in with a doctor, right, Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: There was a lot of their own doctor or a doctor a doctor like a psychologist or a psychiatrist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to just get a read on why they're doing it, what are your expectations, because often what can happen if you're someone with body dysmorphic disorder, for instance, you can just keep going back. It's not perfect, it's not good enough, you get revision rhinoplasty. After revision rhinoplasty, that's where you see the overfiller is because you stop realizing what you actually look like. That's part of body dysmorphia. You can't actually see yourself for what you look like. So to me, when I look back, I had anxiety depression from a really young age and that was on my record. But you know, cosmetic surgeons aren't.
Speaker 1: Did you realize that? Did you realize that you had anxiety and depression? Yeah, but nobody asked you the question.
Speaker 2: No, not when I was getting cosmetic surgery. And for me, I totally I thought that's a mind thing, this is a body thing. I'm doing this as a strategy. As you say said, but yeah, the breast implants for me as well, so the rhinoplasty, I don't regret because I don't see that as related to sexuality. For instance, with the breast implants, as a nineteen year old, I'm not thinking about breast I'm not thinking about breastfeeding. I'm thinking what can I do to my body to make it the most appealing. And it's not so much for a random person, but it's rather because I felt like they're not perfect. I can never be naked in front of someone again.
Speaker 1: And when I had them done, before you had it done, you thought.
Speaker 2: That before I had it done, Yeah, I'd only slept with one person before I had them done, and I thought, oh, I'm never going to sleep with I'm never going to take my clothes off in front of anyone else before I get them fixed. They went lopsided because I'd lost weight, and I thought, oh, as a nineteen year old, the only thing I have is my body. I don't know the job about it. Should I have the job, but you know, I don't have anything else going for me. If I'm going to find someone, I need to be as perfect as I can be.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So and as an easy fix. I just go along to the plastic surgeon order the top of people do this stuff. Just choose the shape and the size that I want, pay for it and it's all sorted. Yeah, in which case I don't have to put weight back on. I can stay on my current trajectory, which is just no good no.
Speaker 2: But I would never tell a woman or young girl. I'd never and I tried to do this in the book, and I mentioned this in the book. I never want to be the twenty nine year old who goes and tells a nineteen year old what they shouldn't shouldn't do for their body or you know, be aware of this, because when people my age now were telling me that, I thought, oh, you're just dried up. You know, you can't get through to someone if you're telling them how to think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, that's an interesting point because when you're twenty nine, you don't think you're very old, but a nineteen year old looking at twenty nine year old thinks she is old. Yeah, And I see it in the rugby league world and I know you're from or you've been up here for a while now, but I know that like young footy players went to the club at nineteen, and they look at the guys in the twenty nine year old girls and the same team, and they think they're all guys like they And to me, look and look at all them, I think they're all the same age and there's not a there's only respect in terms of skills and stuff like that. But don't tell me how to relieve my life, because you wouldn't have any understanding about how I leave my life at nineteen. How do you weave comedy into your book? Because this conversation so far has been fairly serious, and you know, and you're writing a book, so you can't look friendly, and you know, you have a natural thank me wrong, funny face. You look like you're funny, you know what I mean, and you smile big and all that sort of stuff. So I can I get a different aura from you when you're talking about the side of your subject in your body language everything. But you don't do You're not going to give that to me in a book because there's which is words text.
Speaker 2: Well, this is the beauty of writing, Mark, And this is the biggest compliment anyone can ever give me, and it's that I write the same as I sound.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so how do you do that? How do you bring that out? I mean, what's what's your what's your stick? Like? Do you use words? Is it language or is it a rhythm or is it like nearly in verse like I'm reading home or something like that? How do you how the hell do you do it?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: How do you write colorful and energetic and enthusiastic and stuff like that, like the way you are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all just a skill. It's just a learned skill, and I guess it's also I think writing as well. I think it's something you can learn, but it's also some people just have a certain tone that you can't emulate. And that's what I think, like to think I have. I'm very confident in my writing skill if anything, And I guess it's just I had a lot of training working The original place that I worked was a youth news publication, and their whole tone was very trying to make jokes and trying to be funny. So I learned the kind of craft there. But it's just about trying to write in a way that you're not trying to sound too smart. You're also not trying to try to dumb yourself down or think, oh, this I'm going to I'm going to get the most amount of people are going to understand this, because people understand a lot more than you think. I often find when in entertainment, and so it's just about finding a funny way of writing something. I think you saying rhythm and the kind of words that you use can be very strategic and funny because I think the best comedies when you catch someone by surprise. I get that. That's kind of what laughter comes from. Is oh yeah, that's funny. I get that. So I always want people to read my writing and go, oh, I get that. I understand that. And I've had a lot of people message with me saying, oh my god, I think we're the same person, and to me, I think I'm really unique. So I think, oh, yeah, no, that's a good thing.
Speaker 1: You're unique and maybe the way you write it, but you're the same person the way you express it, because they're they're they're obviously relating to it. How hard is it to try not to be a lecture? You know? Like, I got a friend and obviously you remain names say it's a boy or girl for that matter. But Risson sent me a note asking me if I can come and talk to him, you know, and and told me that I would get a bit of a surprise when I saw this particular individual, because I hadn't seen this particular person for a long time, and this particular person put quite a bit of weight on But the at the bottom of the text, this individual said to me, and when you see me, I don't want a lecture. Interesting, Yeah, well, don't lecture me, or something along those lines, And I wrote back, well, I couldn't give a fuck. I'm just happy to see you anyway. How how hard has it been not to make this a lecture?
Speaker 2: I don't think hard.
Speaker 1: Well, that's in terms of your intent, But how hard is it in the outcome?
Speaker 2: I understand, Yeah, I guess. Yeah. It's pretty easy to fall into the do this, don't that, especially when you feel passionate about something. And I do really think that there is a right way and a wrong way to go about eating disorders. Definitely. I think the cosmetic surgery is a bit more nuanced. But I definitely feel that eating disorders and diet culture is unwell and it shouldn't be as normal as it is to speak the way that we do about bodies does a lot more harm than good. But I make a very conscious effort to not lecture people just because I don't like being lectured and I don't think you change people's minds by It's like leadership. I've had really bad managers. I've had really good managers. The ones that are good are the ones that look you in the eye and treat you like an equal, but then hold you up when you need it or kind of give you feedback when you need it. But you always feel that it's from a place that they're bringing you up.
Speaker 1: They're trying to make you better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they get it. And for me, it's always this kind of sounds funny, but it's a looking someone in the eye in a warm way and acting like you know. I think the last the worst thing. I think the worst thing that you can do is treat someone like you know better than them, because everyone is an expert in their own life, and I think everyone thinks that they're doing things the right way.
Speaker 1: It must have been how many pages in a writing do you remember?
Speaker 2: I think it's I can tell you how many words. I think it was seventy or eighty thousand.
Speaker 1: That's about seven hundred words a page. So you get one hundred pages of a couple of hunder pages I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, to seventy pages.
Speaker 1: I'd say it must have been a mission because you've got your own guardrails around what you want to do, what you don't want to do. Tone, put comedy in there, like make it, make it funny, et cetera. But at the same time express yourself, but at the same time make sure you tell the truth and at the same time talk your own story, which in some cases could be not shocking a little bit off putting for some people that were wrong footing. You also got to be careful that you don't trigger anybody. This must be how long would take it write the book?
Speaker 2: You're so right. They're the hardest things. They're all the things that would stop me from writing. I physically like the act of writing. I'll write another book because I find it very enjoyable, and I love putting something down and then showing someone. I get so much joy out of that. But yeah, I would struggle with getting in my own way, feeling like, oh I sound like a I sound like I know it all, or this isn't funny, or this is I sound like I'm complaining. My biggest thing was I sound like I'm complaining, Oh way, where you had cosmetic surgery and now you're not sure about it, like must be nice. So I was always worried that people are gonna think of me as really vain and vapid. And it's just you're just talking about yourself, which I try not to do, even though my whole books about myself.
Speaker 1: You know, I find it. Look, I'm dying to read at least the first couple of pages. I just want to see the tone and the style and the.
Speaker 2: Rest, see if I have toret myself up or.
Speaker 1: Having to yourself up. But you've you've presented to me because I've done a few books myself and I know hardess to do it. But you've presented to me the constraints. And I couldn't write a book like that because there's just too many guardrails. I mean, I just go mental. Like when I write books, I just write her or want. In your case, I just want to know how you hell you navigated your way through that and stayed in two and seventy pages, stayed in your lane. It's a really tough one, but it's also really important topic too. Like, it's a very important topic, quite topical, and I and I know because I see other people like Celeste Barber, So she's great. She's built social media campaign around taking the piss out of herself on this this sort of very topic but doesn't very funny. But it's sort of quite simple, and it's it's pretty much a it's pretty much a repeatable strategy. She just the same thing over and over and over and over again, and she still gets the same amount of laughs and the same amount of views, and she's just as popular. Yours is much more nuanced. Your book, I'm saying, is much more nuanced, and so I'm actually looking forward to reading when you send me a copy. Now, I'll buy a copy. Now we'll get a copy of the off the exnible. We'll post it up on our somewhere, on our primo. I do want to talk you before I go. Before you go, more importantly, this concept of Froome's world. Once I already told you earlier on that I was intrigued by the name Frooms came from. Now I know I thought it was some name you word you made up, or it meant something or rather than I didn't know about but now your mum's maid. But what is Froome's world?
Speaker 2: Well, I can tell you why I chose her maiden name is something. Yeah, like you guess my dad's Alerican. We call him Center in my household because everybody call him center Center. Everything revolves around him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well he thinks it does or it does a bit of both, a bit of both.
Speaker 2: Yeah, massive personality.
Speaker 1: Which is name Steve, Steve's world there, so Steve. Yeah, your house is Stee's world.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He's cars salesman. Yeah, I use cars salesman. If that kind of like paint speecher. Very typical Australian male, sixty seven, just on paper, Homer Simpson. My mom is Yeah, my mom's opposite. My mom's quiet and considered. Uh. I want to say he doesn't have a lot of confidence in herself. Maybe in a way or growing up, I felt as if she didn't have much confidence because I equated she's March. Yeah, probably a bit like March. Yeah, but she's I don't want to say she's smarter than dad. Becausedad'll probably listen to this, but she just has kind of like a world wisdom that I really appreciate and she's a nurse and she's very caring, and I like to think I'm a lot. I would be like get the get that from her, a bit more considered than say, my dad would be. But I always felt like she didn't really have a voice because she played a very maternal role in my household. And Dad's a like recount her, like he's telling all the stories and we're sitting and listening to his stories again and again and again. So I wanted to use her name because we feel very similar and I know that she has stories and she never talks about herself, and to me, it was important.
Speaker 1: To do with us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in everyone else exactly. But she is funny, she's got a great sense of humor, and she's given me so much. She's the reason I'm doing this because she would always listen to me and always tell me I was creative, and believe in me, pay for me to do whatever I wanted, and has supported me the whole time. Watches everything I do, listen to everything, just classic mum, you know, sounds perfect and she's perfect. And then Froom's World, it's like Wayne's World was the inspiration. I love Mike Myers. He's probably my favorite funny person ever, And so I thought Froome's world, this is my world for whatever I want, my newsletters, whatever I want. My Instagram is whatever I want. And I think, I know you wanted to talk to me about like commerce and doing paid partnerships. Only do things that will work within Froom's world, things that I use, things that I like. So everything's very strategic. Yeah, do you have a do you have a website? Rooms for I do frioms dot com of course, and I've registered. I'm the pty Ltd. I'm a company. And also I didn't realize but I hadn't had the trademark, so I just bought the trademark.
Speaker 1: Oh good on you. So if I go to froomswhold dot com dot U is it dot you dot com dot com? So it's so if I go to frooms dot com, what am I going to see there? What are you going to What are you going to tell me? What's on there? Part from your book being my promo or I hope it's on there being promo, But what else am we going to see on there? What's your content got on there?
Speaker 2: We need to go and get you out in the desktop computer. So I can show you it's designed.
Speaker 1: What are you doing to me when when you when you're sort of nudging me towards it.
Speaker 2: So for me, it's all about the first impression and giving one a taste of kind of what you're in for because I don't even know. This is why I find it hard to explain what I do or people who started following frims. What is this? It's whatever I want? And so the website you go on it and it's my face. It's designed like a desktop computer. So you got all your little files, press writing by my book here, click on this random bin and you're going to get taken to a YouTube video that I made. So it's yeah, it's like a screen saver.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're doing YouTube, you're.
Speaker 2: Doing some what. But again, I don't do podcasts because I know if I do a podcast, I've got to treat it like a full time job. And I don't like talking that much. But yeah, you're pretty good at it, or I'll get if I've got a topic, I could talk now, i could talk underwater, But like I always want to make sure I'm bringing value, and I'm not sure if me talking about my life is the best value.
Speaker 1: You're a perfectionist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little bit, but not in the way that gets I never get hindered by it. I love making things.
Speaker 1: How do you mean making things?
Speaker 2: I love writing, I love my videos. I love being creative.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And when you say making videos, you mean like video content as in and but as you in it talking about some topic. So you're not really an evangelist. This book's about evangelism for you know, not getting you know, surgery, cosmetic surgery or or it's not an evangelistic book. It's sort of the sound was taking us on your journey.
Speaker 2: Taking us on a journey, and it's cultural studies. I look at the early two thousands in Australia really some history too, A lot of history, yeah, a lot people. I look at what your generation grew up with and how it's very interesting my generation.
Speaker 1: I'm Homo Simpson too, a little bit old.
Speaker 2: Actually bad dad if you got up at four am.
Speaker 1: I know, like my generationally cosmetic surgery. Well maybe someone might have got a nose job or.
Speaker 2: Something, but min Nana had a nose show. Really so my dad's mum. That's why my parents let me get it, because they yeah, oh there's a hole you got to read the book mark.
Speaker 1: I'm definitely going to read. I'm definitely going to read the first couple of pages. I'm dying to see your your writing style, you know, like and how you navigate your way through this complicated set of guardrails that let's just have to be set by you n society through something that's a really important topic.
Speaker 2: Message me and tell me is it coming across the same as I'm speaking.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. But you know, like, have you done an audiobook? Yes, you've done the audiobook. How do you feel when you did the audiobook?
Speaker 2: Have you done it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've done that. They drive me crazy when I did it, I always kept saying I was reading, Did I actually write that? Like my God? And by the way, I did my idea book audiobook some years after.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 1: I had written the book so that some of the stuff was actually not even that relevant, but that you have to be completely faithful to the book. You have to read everything, but just some of it. I've found very difficult to read out again. And when you read something as opposed to when you speak something, what's your rise on me? Not necessarily meant to be read out spoken?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Spoken? Out loud. It's a bit like people who write speeches and they don't actually go and read it in front of a mirror and on a microphone and listen back to it. They write speech and sounds completely terrible. When they get up and actually read it in front of everybody, that just sounds dreadful. And there are two different skills. So when you said to me, I hope this is a great skill, I mean, if you can do this, if you've achieved it, if I can, you want me to tell you if when I read it it sounds like the way you're speaking now, if you're going to achieve that, that's magnificent, that that's a big deal. Your book will be around up there with Homer or not home Missimo, but actually Homer.
Speaker 2: I prefer homusimoson the trick mark is I read out everything that I write after I write it, I.
Speaker 1: Write really Yeah, I read it out a loud.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So when you're doing the draft, the first first iteration, you actually you write a page, you read it back to yourself. Yeah, listen to.
Speaker 2: Every chapter is a story, and then it's all one story. It's all going to make sense, it's all going to be connected together. You can't have it be bitsy. It's all one story.
Speaker 1: Well, this book to me sounds to be honestly, sounds fascinating in the process and the outcome. The topic is very important. It's a critically important topic. And I wish you the very best and I'm definitely going to get a copy of that book.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Mark. I'm sorry to bring one next time.
Speaker 1: No, do you know what in terms of marketing one oh one, that's what you should be doing. You're fired, Yeah, totally, you're fired. No, no, you're hired. I'm going to get your book. You like, really nice to meet you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you too.