Speaker 1: Lately.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Late Base.
Speaker 1: Well, good evening and thanks for joining us.
Speaker 3: I'm James Macpherson with Liz stra and Caleb Bond. Coming up tonight. Californian Governor Gavin Newsom. You would have seen him on television. He's been the face of the LA fires. But have you noticed these kind of weird We're going to show you some video footage later. I don't know what is going on with his behavior. Maybe you can tell us. We'll show you shortly. Plus, when we look at the papers reports that deradicalization programs designed to change the behavior of high risk individuals authorities fear may commit terrorist attacks, well, these deradicalization programs aren't working. In fact, there's evidence to suggest they're making people worse. Plus an incredible story on the front page of Tomorrow's Australian, Anthony Albanezi says he has invited Donald Trump to come to Australia. It's just that he hasn't heard back from Donald Trump yet. I can't imagine why. Let's get into the news. There's quite a bit to get through. It's just twelve days to go until Australia Day and I think Calebin lives. For the first time in a long time, there's genuine excitement about this year's Australia Day. The IPA put out a survey just the other day saying sixty nine percent of Australians are very happy that we celebrate our day on January twenty six.
Speaker 1: That's up six percent on last year.
Speaker 3: Peter Dutton, sensing the momentum, has said that if elected, he will compel councils to hold citizenship ceremonies on January twenty six. And of course Woolworth's famously backflipped, not acknowledging Australia Day last year, but this year promising to sell Australian merchandise after a boycott really roped them in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: So there's genuine excitement.
Speaker 3: But I'll tell you who's not excited about Australia Day, and that's the Australia Day Council of South Australia, which is kind of odd since they're the ones charged with organizing the thing. But have a look at what they've organized and what they're promoting for our national day of selling abration. They're advertising for January twenty six, to begin with a.
Speaker 1: Quote Morning of Morning.
Speaker 3: A smoking ceremony at seven thirty am on January the twenty sixth, at which we can all express sorrow that Australia has ever founded.
Speaker 1: Now, this event, which doesn't.
Speaker 3: Exactly get our national Day off on a good vibe, is sponsored by the South Australian State Government. It's sponsored by the Adelaide City Council, and of course it's organized by the Australia Day Council of South Australia. They are established in nineteen eighty one to promote pride and to promote enthusiasm around Australian identity and culture. I'm not sure how a Morning of Sorrow promotes pride in Australia on our national Day now, CALEBN is. I get that there are things that happened during colonization that we all wish did not happen. But we've got Sorry Day, We've got Reconciliation Week, We've got Nadock Week, We've got half a dozen other days we lament that things weren't done as well as we wish they had been done. Could we not just have our National Day of Celebration as a day of celebration, just one day where we celebrate the fact that our country is a miracle. In two hundred years we've built one of the greatest countries in the world. That we not just celebrate that, Caleb without starting.
Speaker 1: With the morning of morning.
Speaker 4: And this is the thing, right, I mean, there is no reason that you know, amongst all the other celebrations and events that are done on Australia Day, that you couldn't have a smoking ceremony somewhere to say, okay, well this is what Australia was once like and this is what Australia is now like. They have to say it's a morning of morning because of course you mourn what was there previously, as though the thing that replaced it is a bad thing.
Speaker 2: That is the point. And how can you.
Speaker 4: Possibly be the Australia Day Council and then take the day that you are charged with celebrating and saying well now we need to crap all over it and say, well, actually Australia is bad because colonization happened. We must mourn what has happened previously.
Speaker 5: It's just this bair, I know, what is the themselves?
Speaker 2: What is the more point?
Speaker 4: What is the point and the state government getting involved the local council at Alecity Council getting involved.
Speaker 2: Say Power Networks now.
Speaker 4: That's they own all the polls and wires and whatever in South Australia was previously publicly owned. It was privatized in the nineties. It's owned by the Chinese. So even China now is telling us and that's that's not a joke. I'm not you know, I am making a joke, Obin, but it's not a joke that Chinese own companies would get involved in telling us that we should be in Australia Day, right, I mean this is foreign interference in this as well, telling us that we should not.
Speaker 2: Be proud of our national day.
Speaker 4: The Australia Day Council of South Australia should hang its head in chame is bored, should hang their heads in shame that they are taking the day they are supposed to celebrate and turning it into something else.
Speaker 3: Patre of the Australia Council is the Governor of South Australia, so this comes from the top.
Speaker 6: Although they play it both ways, there's no doubt the Governor of South Australia will be tending attending Australia Day festivities absolutely so, It's like, I just want to play to both sides, because at the end of the day, this is mainly not about my convictions.
Speaker 5: I don't really have any. I have more to spare for all of them.
Speaker 6: But a lot of these people they don't have convictions. They simply want to play to both sides of the fence so they're not losing out votes on either side of the debate. But firstly, having this at seven thirty in the morning, now that's just done Australia. I mean, unless this is ANZAC Day and we're all getting up for a dawn service, you are taking the mick.
Speaker 5: This is Australia. We don't get up at.
Speaker 6: Seven point thirty on public holidays. Kind of spoils the whole purpose of the event. Although I imagine this will be on the Sunday, and yes it is, but seriously, I am curious to see how many people will actually rock up at this because as we know, the tide is turning. This kind of stuff isn't popular anymore. This was shared by Sports South Australia a week ago. It has three likes. Three likes in an entire week. Something tells me it doesn't quite have the gravitas. People aren't really pulled toward this kind of thing any more because everyone can sense the change in the air. They're sick of being browbeaten. It didn't work in the first place. I would love to know, and there's no way to actually know that. This was never really a controversial day whatsoever. It was always a tiny minority getting on their soapbox trying to browbeat the rest of us. It didn't work with the Voice referendum. It never worked with Australia Day.
Speaker 5: Who moved it. Nobody moved it.
Speaker 6: Few councils were like, Okay, we just won't celebrate it on that day anymore.
Speaker 5: Etc.
Speaker 6: And so on, the usual virtue signaling. But Australians everyday people, we're never on board with this nonsense. We never were, we never will be. Long live Australia Day.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 3: Speaking of councils, of course, Peter Dutton, as I said, has promised that if elected, he will compel local governments to hold citizenship ceremonies.
Speaker 1: On January twenty six, the.
Speaker 3: President of the Australian Local Government Association, Matt Burnett, he's the mayor of Gladstone in Queensland.
Speaker 1: He said look, if we're forced to do it, we will.
Speaker 3: There's eighty one councils that are so far running citizenship ceremonies on days other than our national Day.
Speaker 1: But have listened to what he told media about.
Speaker 3: Reasons why you know some councils don't want to run things on the twenty six, He says, as the closest level of government to our communities and the most trusted, it's important we reflect and respond to the needs of our local areas.
Speaker 1: Yes, local councils are very trusted. But here's the bit I wanted to get to.
Speaker 3: He said, there are a range of reasons why some councils did not hold events on January twenty six, including extreme heat, staff numbers and costs.
Speaker 1: Now, mister Burnett's own.
Speaker 3: Council, they held a citizenship ceremony last year, not on January twenty sixth Oh it's too hot, so they.
Speaker 1: Ran on January twenty.
Speaker 8: Fifth, because everybody knows cooler on the twenty If only I knew, I could get on the phone to the bomb. They don't like being called the bomb anymore by they are row, but they'd a bomb right.
Speaker 4: They send out a media release member a few years ago, say you can't call us the bumping, but I get on the bomb and say, look, I just want you to make sure that January twenty five is nos cool and January twenty six is blistering hot, so I can't have any event. I mean they when he said that, did he think that it was a joke. Did he know that it was a joke, or was it an unintentional joke.
Speaker 2: I mean, if he really thought.
Speaker 4: He'd be able to get away, it was like, oh, it's too hot on January twenty six.
Speaker 6: These reports say that even demanding compensation if they're forced to work on that date, like it's not your job. You are paid to be a city councilor quite handsomely, I'm my dad, I was a city councilor myself. People love to be sworn into citizenship on our special day.
Speaker 5: These people, it used to make my Australia Day.
Speaker 6: You'd rock up, they'd have their ceremony, They've all got their little flags, they're all taking their pictures with the mayor and us, of course, because they want everyone to know, yes, we just swore allegiance to this country. For many of them, this is the culmination of years of hard work long since they left their country of origin. This is a massive accomplishment and Australia Day of all days.
Speaker 5: They've got the golden ticket.
Speaker 2: Then they walk out.
Speaker 6: We had rides, we had snags galore, they've got the fireworks that evening to celebrate with absolutely everyone. It is a huge vibe and many of us who were born here would never understand how exciting and how monumentous that is in their lives. It is like being in a crowded room of beaming smiles, proud at people. And I love that Dutton Israel and stating this because there isn't a single person saying the pledge that day.
Speaker 4: That is sorry, it's exactly and it needs to be pointed out as well that January twenty sixth, nineteen forty eight was the day that legislation passed that made us no longer British subjects but Australian citizens. So why would you not keep the day that Australian citizenship became a thing as a day to have citizenship ceremonies.
Speaker 3: Indeed, all right, we're going to go to some breaking news because the Times of Israel have just reported that Harmas have accepted a deal to release hostages. We're still getting details about what exactly the deal entails. It's got to go to the Israeli cabinet for approval. But the Times of Israel are reporting that Hamas have accepted a deal to release the hostages, and as I said, the Israeli cabinet will need to agree to that. But that's very good news, Caleb, and I must say, probably a little unexpected owing to the fact that Trump hasn't yet taken office, that this is happening.
Speaker 1: Under Biden's watch. We've still to get more details.
Speaker 3: Exactly how many hostages, We're not aware at this stage, but good news.
Speaker 2: Well, it's happening under Biden's watch.
Speaker 4: Of course, Trump will be inaugurated in just a few days, and I suspect that is one of the main drivers behind this deal, because Trump is.
Speaker 1: Say they'll be healthy.
Speaker 2: He has been very clear.
Speaker 4: On what he will do if there are no hostages returned by the time he becomes president. So they were between a rock and a hard place. If they didn't make a decision. Now, all hell, as he said, would break loose in the Middle East. And Hamas well knows that they've been able to get away with it up to this point because Israel has a lot more might than it has actually.
Speaker 2: Used in this war.
Speaker 4: I mean, it could go in and just carpet on the joint wanted to, but it's resisted doing that. But if you've got the US involved as well, and you turn it into a broader fight within the Middle East, a muss will just disappear in the midst of all of that, and that is the last thing they want. So there arem has finally been twisted to come through with what we hope will be a good deal when we finally see the details.
Speaker 3: Liz surprised or expected this owing to the fact I did it.
Speaker 1: Trump would put the pressure on.
Speaker 6: Yeah, nobody thinks that Trump is joking. When that man stands behind a podium and says there will be hell to pay, they know he means business. They've been able to run a mark because they had a very very weak administration in the Biden administration. We know that they gave billions of dollars to Iran during their tenure as well, So these guys have been it's actually been extremely hard to figure out where they actually stand on anything. Trump never leaves people guessing he has told them this is exactly what you're going to get the day January twentieth dawns.
Speaker 5: So they had to do this, like you say, Caleb, their arms were twisted.
Speaker 6: It was basically this or be wiped off the face.
Speaker 5: Of the earth.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it'll be interestingly your choice.
Speaker 4: It'll be interesting to see what the terms of this deal are though, because, of course the suggestion has been that perhaps there will be a return of hostages in exchange for prisoners, Palestinian prisoners who are kept in Israel, and a lot of those prisoners who are kept in Israel is because they are terrorists or suspected terrorists as well, so it's.
Speaker 1: Not necessarily.
Speaker 4: We'll see how all of that plays out. Now, let's talk about something that I find an affront to what it means to be an Australian or to be a britain and that is the right to go into the front bar of the pub and thrash out the issues of the day. I mean, if you can't do it in the front bar of the pub, where can you do it. This is the place where for centuries men and of course since the sixties and seventies onwards, women have been allowed to go and talk about whatever they want, get something off their chest, talk about politics, vent about their partners, whatever it might be. But it all might come to an end very soon because the Starma government, cirkiar Stam of course, two tierke, free gear Care, all the other names they've come up with, they are now trying to push through new workplace discrimination laws. Now this will basically mean that if you are an employee within a workplace, it is the job of that employer to make sure that you are not offended or discriminated against in any form, Otherwise that company can be sued. Now, the definition of this that they're talking about, what they're talking about harassment being is unwanted conduct that has the purpose or effect of violating the recipient's dignity or creating and intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating, or offensive environment. Now that doesn't neces necessarily mean it comes from another employee.
Speaker 2: It can also include customers or clients.
Speaker 4: And so pubs are now saying what does that mean If someone at that table over there is having a discussion about transgenderism, for instance, and they say, well, I don't believe that men can be women and working in that pub happens to be a transgender woman who is a biological man. Will they then say that they were harassed within the workplace and potentially.
Speaker 2: Be sued for doing so.
Speaker 4: The British Beer and Pub Association isn't having a bar of it.
Speaker 2: They say.
Speaker 4: Any legislation must be carefully drafted to make sure it does not have unintended consequences, such as pub workers expected to decide with the private conversations between customers constitute.
Speaker 2: A violation of law.
Speaker 4: Ladies and gentlemen, this is where we are in twenty twenty five. You cannot even go to the pub and have a conversation about politics without it potentially constituting harassment of staff that will then land that pub in court. We have well and truly jumped the shark here have we not? And it should be noted this is not just in Britain. I mean in terms of exactly what this legislation looks like. But people are being briefed in Australian workplaces in recent years because the Albanezi government brought through a whole tranch of new ir laws that included new definitions of harassment and put a new restrictions upon businesses in terms of they have to be proactive now, so in Australia, a business has to ask staff whether or not they're being harassed or lead or discriminated against it. It's not good enough to simply say we're available for you to come and talk to me if you feel like you're being bullied. And this is exactly one of the things that people are briefed about is that if you have a conversation in the workplace that someone else who is not party to that conversation finds offensive, that may constitute harassment.
Speaker 2: I mean it is EASA.
Speaker 6: You're essentially trying to pass a law to ensure that anyone while they're on the clock, regardless of what their job is, won't overhear something that they find offensive. And of course what each individual finds offensive is deeply personal.
Speaker 5: For me, it's basically nothing. You just can't offan me.
Speaker 6: Why would I expend that kind of mental and emotional energy on something some flogg has said other people are triggered by absolutely everything you may or may not say. Does that then extend to you not speaking up when I think you should, and therefore I'm offended by something that you didn't express in a moment that I feel that you should have This is completely nuts, like Britain doesn't have enough problems, like the Kirstama government doesn't have enough problems to be focusing on.
Speaker 5: They are now mulling over legislation like this.
Speaker 6: Is it any wonder that just four months after this government game to power, two point nine Palms signed a government petition on the government's own website saying we are begging.
Speaker 5: You to call another general election. We are sorry you're in power.
Speaker 6: You are absolutely trashing our country. And this after that kind of vote of no confidence from the very citizens who elected you to represent them. This is the kind of stuff that they're spending parliamentary time on hashing out, being like how can we best legislate this?
Speaker 3: I mean, when I was growing up, eavesdropping was considered to be impolite. You were taught you don't listen to other people's conversations, you don't sort of, you know, linger and sort of try to pick up what other people are talking about. Now it's actually incentive to stand and listen time until you are offended and then have people charged. And for politicians to create legislation that is so sloppy and vague. You can't create or have the effect of creating an offensive environment. I mean, what on earth is an offensive environment? And as the Publican Association, as you rightly pointed out.
Speaker 1: Not having a bar of it, very good.
Speaker 3: I did notice that that then they'll have to be the arbiters on what you can't be said in their pub.
Speaker 1: Let me, you can only talk about the.
Speaker 3: Weather, and even that is fraught because you might be a climate denier.
Speaker 4: But may I say respectfully because I don't want to offend or harass anyone. If you go to the pub, and mean feel offended by things that are said in the pub.
Speaker 2: You shouldn't be going to the pub.
Speaker 4: I mean, the pub is one of the last places where you can go and say outrageous things and tell a few blue jokes and have some fun and let off some steam without some blue headed feminist, lunatic, transgender person whatever it might be, coming.
Speaker 2: And yanking you and saying, oh, you can't do that.
Speaker 4: The pub is the only place where you can still do that stuff. Don't take our simple pleasures away from us, please.
Speaker 5: Of course, Caleb Bond would be the one to.
Speaker 6: Tell you that staying in the UK now here's stammer as if his government and the nation forming under it doesn't sound dystopian enough, he's now leaning into AI. Now, the UK does have the third largest AI industry, just after the US and China. Well, he's saying he's going to harness this using it in his half a million.
Speaker 5: Strong civil service.
Speaker 6: And the bill that they're looking at includes fifty recommendations to boost AI driven efficiency in the public sector, from education to detecting potholes. So my automatic question is, okay, so what have you told the people to assure your so many million strong public service won't be out of jobs?
Speaker 5: Obviously, if you're going to.
Speaker 6: Be employing AI in any of these fields and you make it ourg's going to be very impressive.
Speaker 5: Indeed, how are those people supposed to keep their jobs?
Speaker 6: At the same time, here he was announcing it like it was just a great thing and nobody's to have a care in the world about this.
Speaker 9: This is the nation of Babbage, of Lovelace, of Turing, the gate birth to the modern computer and the World Wide Web. So, mark my words, Britain will be one of the great AI superpowers.
Speaker 5: It actually sounds very foreboding if you ask me. He says that the government is going.
Speaker 6: To increase their server capacity twentyfold by twenty thirty and this AI is going to be so powerful it can play itself at chess half.
Speaker 5: A million times a second.
Speaker 6: I had to glance down because I didn't want to get that wrong.
Speaker 5: This thing is going to be very powerful.
Speaker 6: Indeed, he's unleashing it in the public service. He's actually said, oh, the regulations around this are going to be very flexible.
Speaker 5: Because we don't want to be like those.
Speaker 6: Other countries that keep having to beat up their AI companies for you know, I don't know, privacy reasons, etc.
Speaker 5: And so on.
Speaker 6: We're going to be very flexible in our regulations. To me, this sounds like a nightmare about to unfold in the UK.
Speaker 3: I just felt like the announcement kind of fell flat. I mean, Kiirstarma, he stands up straight, We're going to be the leader of AI in the world, and there's this silence. I might as well have said, you know, we're going to make porridge. This is a massive distraction, is it not. I mean, Kiirstarma, as you pointed out, is incredibly unpopular. There's a massive scandal taking place at the moment over thousands of British girls who were raped by Pakistani Muslims as authorities turned a blind eye. He's got farmers protesting every weekend against him. They've got social cohesion problems. So he's announcing We're going to be a world leader in Ai. It reminds me of Albanesi government trotting out that we're going to be a renewable energy superpower line, which everybody knows means nothing. It sounds visionary, but the great thing about it is that you will never have to be accountable for it, because this is not something that a timeline ever applies to. It's just one of those grand visions that sounds you, makes you sound like a great leader. But you know what grand vision has England recently compled? I mean, look what they did to Jaguar. Is zach go By that well actually kins Darma with.
Speaker 2: Powerful on the UK's defense.
Speaker 4: Jaguar land Rover is now owned by the Indians, so it hasn't been directly destroyed by the UK. But it is a very good point. But it may well be a distraction, but it's a really dangerous distraction. You talk about regulation, is he literally said, you know why don't we try this thing out first before we regulated?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: When all of the biggest people involved in the AI industry, Elon Musk.
Speaker 2: The people who started up chat, gpt, etc.
Speaker 4: Came together last year and wrote an open letter saying, we actually need to slow down here a bit and think seriously about regulation of AI before it gets out of hand. To then be saying maybe we should try it out before we regulate it is dangerous because we know the endgame here. Once AI outsmarts us, it will take.
Speaker 2: Over from us.
Speaker 4: You know, we will be the slaves of the robots. That is eventually where we'll end up. First, it'll take our jobs, and then it'll take everything else. Once it works out the way to outsmart us, it'll take control of the computers. He won't be able to control them anymore.
Speaker 6: Yes, it'll be controlling us exactly. This is exactly what the former CEO of Google said. He said, once this thing can teach itself, it is going to be a billion times smarter than any other. For the longest time, humans have been the smartest life form on this planet. AI is going to be a life form all by itself. We are literally creating our own demise in this thing, and the interviewer asked him me, the former CEO of Google, saying, okay, so who's in charge of the kill switch? Then, before this thing does become smarter than us, it does become self taught, you won't.
Speaker 5: Even necessarily know. And that's exactly what.
Speaker 1: The I can answer that question. No, we won't know.
Speaker 5: Until it happens, and then it will be too late.
Speaker 3: But thank god Joe Biden put Kamala Harris in charge remember some time ago of making sure that AI was safe for human beings. And as for your comment color that Kirstarma wants to try this out before regulating it. That's pretty much the story of his Prime ministery trying it out, and then you'll think about some actual policies that makes sense a bit later. But just staying with AI, there's an interesting court case in the US at the moment where the state of Texas is suing the insurance company All State because it turns out All State insurance company paid millions of dollars for app developers to incorporate software in their apps that would track drivers when they're out and about on the road. Now they've been tracking forty five million people as they drive their cars, monitoring things like how quickly they speed up, how hard they hit their brakes, and they've established the world's largest driver behavior database. This, of course is important because they've been able to use it in their insurance policies, determining whether people are high risk or not based on their driving history, but just based on driving habits. Now, just because you break suddenly doesn't mean you're a bad driver. It might mean that you didn't run over the old lady.
Speaker 1: You stepped out in front.
Speaker 2: Of the games.
Speaker 4: You should have run over the old lady. So you've got a better insurance premium.
Speaker 1: You ought to know that exactly.
Speaker 3: And so this of course came to light some time ago when owners of vehicles made by GM General Motors noticed their insurance premiums went up massively in the course of a year, and there'd been no crashes, no accidents. And when they found out why the insurance premiums had gone suddenly up, they discovered that apps incorporated into electric vehicles by manufacturers, we're doing the exact same thing. The problem here is that it's being done without driver permission, consent, or even knowledge, and so effectively you're being spied on in your car as you drive. The State of Texas have said this is not on. They're suing all State will see what happens.
Speaker 1: But are we really worried about this.
Speaker 3: When if you drive an electric car, effectively you've got the Chinese Commonist Party tracking you. So you're that worried about your insurers, that's probably the least of your concerns.
Speaker 6: So ignorant as to what is really going on with these kinds of cars and these kinds of contraptions in their cars. There's even been cases where people have successfully sued because they've been inappropriate. Are tired because they think, well, I'm in my car, no one's going to see me, and then it turns out someone at Tesla has footage of them being inappropriately attired. I'm saying that as politely as I can, but these guys are responsible for collecting trillions of miles worth of location data from forty five million Americans unbeknownst to them, and then, of course these insurance companies just sit on that data until one of their clients asks for a.
Speaker 5: Quote or needs to renew, and all of.
Speaker 6: A sudden the price has gone up accordingly, so I love that they've been busted, but it doesn't seem to matter what happens. People simply trade their privacy for convenience every single time.
Speaker 4: But this I'm going to start using this as an example because every time, you know, my girlfriend gets the erits with me because I'm like, no, don't that thing to track you, and don't allow that to turn that thing off, and don't use that particular bit of software and whatever.
Speaker 2: Oh, but you know, the convenience, the convenience, This is what happens.
Speaker 4: Right. It starts out as then, oh, it's the convenience of this thing knows what I want to do before I even though I want to do it. And that feels all terribly convenient until you go to look at your new insurance premium and they're charging you another thousand dollars because they've made a.
Speaker 2: Judgment about you.
Speaker 4: It all started out lovely, it all started out convenience. They've now turned the tables on you. If the product is free, and sometimes even a you've paid for the product, i e. An electric vehicle, you paid tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars for the thing. Generally, if the product is free. You are the product. Increasingly, you are the product in everything. This data is so valuable to companies across the world. They want every bit of data you will give them.
Speaker 2: Please do not give it to them.
Speaker 3: Just before you move on, because I think you're about to move on. But I got to give some praise to Bruce Willis. Do you remember his movie The Fifth Element? And in that movie, his character's driving a taxi and the taxi is programmed so that when he exceeds a speed limit, the taxi issues him the cab driver with a fine and then takes his license off him, and then the card just stops.
Speaker 1: He can't drive anymore.
Speaker 3: That's about where we're headed Element Back in the eighties, I think that movie predicted all of this.
Speaker 4: God if that happens, I'm in big, big trouble because I can't say I'm the only one on this desk who hasn't had a speeding fine.
Speaker 2: And it's not because I don't speed. I just don't speed.
Speaker 4: An Now, an interesting case down in South Australia where a young boy went into a shopping center with what was basically a toy gun, but he modified the toy gun so that he could propel a weapon with it, like it had a needle or some such in it. He shot it at a woman in the shopping center. She was injured, she had to go off to hospital. He will now have to go off and face the youth court facing weapons charges. But of course the SDA, the Shoppies Union, has now come out and said, well, look, this potentially could have been stopped before that woman was shot, in effect, if security guards had been allowed to intervene. But as the law currently stands, security guards are allowed to do nothing. Josh Peak is the secretary of the SDA in South Australia, and he said it was another concerning incident that demonstrated the need for a review of shopping center security, particularly looking at guards level of training and powers and safety at major centers. And I read this saying I thought, actually, yes, why don't we give more power to shopping center guards or security guards with proper training?
Speaker 2: It should be said.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't think that any old bloke should just be able to walk in and start walking around the shopping center beating up little kids because he thinks they're carrying a gun or whatever. But with proper training, why should they not be allowed to carry tasers, a non lethal weapon, and why should they not be able to intervene personally in a situation or in a security guard now see someone shoplifting, or they see someone they think is about to commit an offense, they can't do anything. All they can do is stand there and call the cops. What is the point of a security guard if they can't actually guard anything?
Speaker 3: You've seen some of the local security guards at our shopping centers. Is no one I would give some of those guys a taser, not a chance in proper training.
Speaker 2: I didn't say any They would need a.
Speaker 1: Lot of training.
Speaker 6: Security guards makes me feel unsafe because every time I spy one, I don't know about you, but I'm like, I could take you curiously. They are half asleep, they don't look very.
Speaker 5: Athletic, and they're just standing there. They have no weaponry.
Speaker 6: So again, if something happens a kid like this or someone like me, we've a spec in the distance before they're even reaching pace. I genuinely every time I see a security guard. And I crossed the Sydney Harbor Bridge quite a lot on runs and jogs and what have you, And there's three station there around the clock, right, And I don't mean to pick on them, but every single time they're either on their phone, they're half asleep. I mean literally their eyes are closed and they're just standing there.
Speaker 5: And because they're still in it so far apart.
Speaker 6: From each other, I'm like, if anything happens, say in between the three, I don't know that either of you could get there in time to save anyone from.
Speaker 3: Anything, even if they did have pals, even if they had a taser. You've got an eleven year old kid waving around a toy gun. Is a security guard really going to realize before this kid pulls the trigger and a projectile comes out injuring a woman?
Speaker 1: Is a security guard really going to know that eleven.
Speaker 6: Year old really is Let's say he did have a taser and he tased.
Speaker 5: This tid exactly over a toy gun.
Speaker 4: I'm not showing you taser for the kid with a toy gun. But but in situations like the Bondi stabbing last year, for instance, why was there not a way that a security guard could have intervened in that?
Speaker 3: What was there not the way that all the men in the shopping center didn't intervene in that?
Speaker 2: Because they had.
Speaker 4: Hundreds of They sense they can't carry weapons either, can.
Speaker 1: They well know, But I mean the point I would.
Speaker 6: Have just run into one of the many stores in that westfield that sells knives and just fight fire with fire.
Speaker 4: But this is the problem is that people don't feel like they're able to do that. Least security guards, who actually have legislation that prevents them from intervening in these situations.
Speaker 2: They should be empowered to do so.
Speaker 6: I'd be very interested to know whether they even get any kind of training for emergency situations.
Speaker 5: There was an instance, genuinely, there was an instance last.
Speaker 3: Year in Paran, so in twenty twenty three in Peran in Melbourne where someone shoplifted and the security guards saw them shoplifting and so then said can I see your receipt? The person refused to show the receipt, just walked straight past. So security guard chases him out on the street. There's a punch on in the street. Will call sack the security guard because he was deemed to have gone too far. But I suggest there'd be less shoplifting these more security guards.
Speaker 5: The punch on genuinely there just as a visual stickative, you know, deterrent. But everybody knows what are you actually going to do? If I walk out.
Speaker 6: Of here with a trolley full of stuff, what are you actually going to do?
Speaker 5: Probably nothing.
Speaker 6: But before we go to an ad break, we have to show you this speech from Biden yesterday at the State Department. To listen to him, you'd think that this has been the greatest presidency of all time and there are absolutely no problems left in the world.
Speaker 5: He solved the lot.
Speaker 1: Right now.
Speaker 10: In my view, thanks to our administration, the United States is winning the worldwide competition Compared to four years ago. America is stronger, our alliances are stronger, Our adversaries and competitors are weaker. We have not gone to war to make these things happen. During my presidency, have increased America's power every dimension. We've increased our diplomatic power, creating more allies the United States has ever had in the history of our nation. We've increased our military power, making the most significant investments in the defense industrial base in decades. We've increased the technology power, taking the lead and artificial intelligence and other technologies in the future. And we've increased the economic power, building the most dynamic economy in the world from the bottom up, in the middle out, not the top down.
Speaker 5: You needed subtitles for that, didn't you. I'm sorry we should have put some up.
Speaker 6: But of course it wouldn't be a Biden speech if he didn't forget something a little bit important.
Speaker 10: So when I took office, I had a choice. Only I saw no reason to keep thousands of servicemen in Afghanistan. I think I have my schedule with me, and I keep under my I don't hear, don'tut, but I keep on the back of my car. The actual number of dead and wounded occurred in our longest war. To mind myself, Oh, this.
Speaker 6: Close to making a really persanent powerful point, couldn't quite.
Speaker 5: Get it across the law.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you're going to go with I hold this card to remind myself of how many Americans are being killed in the line of Juy.
Speaker 1: I have it all the time.
Speaker 3: You probably have it on the tide to pull it out. We're going to go to a break. When we come back, we'll look at what's making news tomorrow, including a report that deradicalization programs are actually making some potential terrorists actually worse.
Speaker 1: All of that in just a moment. Welcome back.
Speaker 3: Well, let's take a look at what's making news tomorrow. But of course there's a breaking story right now we alluded to earlier in the program, with a deal between Hamas and Israel for the release of hostages. Caleb, you've got more information on that story, which is, as I said, breaking right now.
Speaker 4: Indeed, we'll start with the Australian now when we bringing you the papers every night, we bring you the first edition of the newspaper, and of course by the second and third editions, this story will be updated.
Speaker 2: But the version we had sent.
Speaker 4: To us earlier this evening from the Odds said that Israel and Hamas were close to securing a deal overnight to halt the fighting in Gaza and return the hostages.
Speaker 2: As outgoing US President Joe.
Speaker 4: Biden declared, we're at the brink of a proposal in a speech defending his foreign policy legacy, which we were just talking about. Well, the latest of the Times of Israel now says that Hamas has accepted a draft agreement for a cease far in the Gaza strip and the release of dozens of hostages. Two officials involved in the talks say an Israeli official says that progress has been made, but the details are being finalized. Now. The Associated Press has obtained a copy of the proposed agreement. An Egyptian official and a Hamas official have confirmed the authenticity of this document. The plan would need to be submitted to Israel's cabinet for final approval. Now these officials spoken can of anonymity because, of course these discussions are being held behind closed doors. But according to the draft of the deal being negotiated between Israel and Hamas, Israel will pay a steep price to secure the release of female soldiers being held hostage, which is according to this copy that's been obtained by the Associated Press, the three phase agreement would begin with the gradual release of thirty three hostages over a six week period. That would include women, children, older adults, and wounded civilians, and that would be in exchange for potentially hundreds of Palestinian women and children who are currently imprisoned in Israel. Among the thirty three would be five female Israeli soldiers, each of whom would be released in exchange for fifty Palestinian prisoners, including thirty convicted security prisoners who are currently serving life sentences. During this first forty two day pause, Israeli forces would withdraw from population centers, Stinians would be allowed to start returning to their homes in northern Gaza, and there would be a surge of humanitarian aid, with some six hundred trucks entering each day. So of course what we are talking about here is hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of Palestinians being handed over in exchange for a relatively small number of Israelis. That was probably what was always going to happen, but when it comes to these negotiations, it would seem that is how far they have to go in order to get anything over the line.
Speaker 3: The thing people have to remember is that Yaya Sinhwa, who was in charge of Hamas and who orchestrated the October seven attack.
Speaker 1: He's now deceased, but he.
Speaker 3: Of course himself was the result of a prisoner swap where they swapped one hundred I think it was about a thousand is Palestinian prisoners for one Israeli soldier, and of course Yaya Sinhwa went on to orchestrate and lead that October seven attack. So any release of terrorists back into the Populace is a bad deal for Israel. The other question I would have over this is you've got thirty three hostages released over six weeks, which begs the question, what about the other sixty or so hostages, because we believe there's about ninety or so still in Gaza.
Speaker 1: Does that mean that the balance of hostages are deceased? Is that what that means?
Speaker 3: Or does it mean that there are certain people who are being left behind and are not part of this deal. They'll be left to languish until another deal has worked.
Speaker 6: Out, and that will be the question at the forefront of the minds of the family and friends of the hostages still remaining in Gaza.
Speaker 5: Obviously, I mean, when I heard that there was a deal made, it.
Speaker 6: Was like, oh, thank God, is this finally over for them? But no, we're just talking about thirty three out of what we know is approximately one hundred at the moment, so this is still far from over. This itself is going to play out over six weeks, as you've.
Speaker 5: Said, but it is staged at any minute.
Speaker 6: Like we saw with the ceasepire that didn't cease fire for very long because Hamas didn't uphold their end of the bargain, a.
Speaker 5: Deal was made, a deal was struck, and a deal.
Speaker 6: Was broken pretty much as soon as it was inked. So this is we'll give you this many hostages, you withdraw from here, etc.
Speaker 5: And so on.
Speaker 6: It's it's certainly something which is better than nothing. But given how many stages there are to this agreement, and the fact that this doesn't mean all the hostages.
Speaker 5: Are returned to Israel, this is one step in a.
Speaker 6: What appears to be still a very very long process ahead, which does beg the question because we were talking earlier saying, oh, well, this is Trump.
Speaker 5: This is Trump saying if you.
Speaker 6: Guys haven't returned all the hostages by January twentieth, there will be held to pay. I am going to mess things up. Well, clearly that's not going to have that. We won't even have the thirty three back by January twentieth, much less all of them. So it does beg the question, Okay, where does that stand now? Once a Trump administration is involved in the negotiations going forward?
Speaker 5: What now?
Speaker 3: Because Trump can't exactly come in and say this was a bad deal, They're still going to be hell to pay if Israel have made a deal with her.
Speaker 1: Muss that's just going to be the lay of the land.
Speaker 4: We'll see if they reneg on the deal, what may happen, and we talk about Donald Trump. It also says on the front of the ears tomorrow Albanize he invited Trump here in his first phone call. Anthony Albanze he invited Donald Trump to Australia in their first phone call, a day after the incoming US president won the November five election. I mean warnings the Prime Minister will find it difficult to fit in a face to face meeting with the president elect before he heads to the polls. I mean imagine having the high and you know, I get it's nice to say you should come and have a look at my country, but you know, you're Anthony Albaniasi on the phone to Donald Trump, and you're like, look, buddy, I've got an election myself next year and I really don't think I can get away from the country because I'm worried about how.
Speaker 2: This thing is going to go.
Speaker 4: Do you mind just popping over to Australia instead of me coming to see you.
Speaker 2: I think it'd be easier for me.
Speaker 3: But the other part of that is why didn't Anthony Albanezi say until now, by the way of inviting Donald Trump to Australia.
Speaker 6: Why is he not advertised up for Jesus speculation? And everyone laughing about the fact that clearly the so honestly, if I was Trump, I wouldn't bother with him because he's not going to be in the prime ministership.
Speaker 5: Lot to pay any attention to. And in recent.
Speaker 6: Years Australia has become a bit of a laughing stock with our revolving door of prime ministers.
Speaker 3: We've got we've got a couple of minutes left. Let's run through what we've got on the papers.
Speaker 4: For Indeed, the Herald Son tomorrow says Ossie prisoner of war dead to Melbourne man finding in Ukraine is believed to have been executed after he was captured by Russian forces last month. I'm sure that story will continue to play out tomorrow from our own Sophie Illsworth above it there something that makes your skin crawl leap for life in Landslide miracle council worker lucky to be alive after luxury home he was inside plunges fifty meters down a cliff. This is on the Mornington peninsulally. You can see the rubble of the house there that he was inside. Can you imagine being in that situation that.
Speaker 1: There was a landslide a week ago.
Speaker 3: The council worker was there inspecting the home that had been declared off limits. He stepped onto the balcony and the whole thing slid straight down the hill. So lucky no one was killed, and of course begs the question why they're inspecting a house that was so unstable in the first place. Let's go to the cans Post. The tipping point reads the headline far North Queenslander's calling for additional police resources as skyrocket. In fact, on the homepage of the cans Post there are not one, not two, but three stories about car thefts.
Speaker 1: So that's rampant in.
Speaker 3: Cans and Townsville. Of course with problems too. They're well known case on the front page of the bulletin in Townsville no adult time for juvenile stab accused. There was the case of the young person who went into a shopping center and stabbed a woman in the back.
Speaker 1: She was lucky not to be killed.
Speaker 3: But it turns out that the state government's adult crime adult time laws don't apply to attempted murder and so he won't be given adult time if convicted of that, which seems a pretty massive.
Speaker 1: Anomal in the law through the ranks.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I guess Sir David Chris fully will fix that up if he's really committed to stopping crime. We're going to go to a break when we come back. Gavin Newsom, the governor of California, a very strange man, will show some video footage that is quite odd.
Speaker 1: See what you think in just a moment.
Speaker 3: Well, with the LA fires, California Governor Gavin Newsom has been on our television screens a lot, and Liz I have to ask, is it just me or is he strange?
Speaker 5: Incredibly strange. I don't know what this guy is taking.
Speaker 6: But I'm sure you might have some thoughts after you see these cliffs.
Speaker 5: The reservoirs are empty.
Speaker 6: LA is battling the worst fires of its existence, and yet the governor seems strangely upbaate, even doing a bit of an interpretive dance while talking to a reporter.
Speaker 11: I was just talking to Josh Green, the governor of down in Hawaii. You had some ideas around some land use concerns he has run, speculators coming in buying up properties and the like. So we're already working with our legal teams to move those things forward, and we'll be presenting those in a matter of days, not just weeks.
Speaker 5: Pretty upbeate, don't you think it gets worse?
Speaker 6: Here he is talking to a different reporter, still surrounded by the rubble of his city. You'd think he was some sort of US Land interpreter.
Speaker 7: Over the course the next several years, Los Angeles will be host to the World Cup and then the Super Bowl and then the Olympics. With this rebuilding effort needing to take place, is La going to be ready for all of those global events?
Speaker 1: My humble position.
Speaker 12: And it's and it's not just being naively optimistic. That only reinforces the imperative moving quickly doing in the spirit of collaboration, cooperation. And that's why we're already organizing a Marshall plan. We already have a team of looking and reimagining La two point zero, and we're making sure everyone's included, not just the folks on the coast of people here that we're ravaged by this disaster.
Speaker 6: Oh, we're going to be fine, We're going to be back online.
Speaker 5: In twenty twenty eight, we're going to be.
Speaker 6: Hosting the Olympics. This is very interesting actually because for a long time now La two point oh they've been talking about becoming this futuristic city of La twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 5: You can read all about it.
Speaker 6: They're going to be highly digitized and very technical, and now he gets to build the city of his dreams.
Speaker 5: Is ways so up beat.
Speaker 1: There's rubble right behind him.
Speaker 3: He's got a massive smile, he's got all these moves and talk about his If that was your place, how.
Speaker 1: Would you be feeling.
Speaker 4: He's like, things are really bad, but I just.
Speaker 8: Had an idea and I can talk about it on a Camera're going to get.
Speaker 2: Out of the hole.
Speaker 1: No, you had it unbelievable. That's all.
Speaker 3: We've got time for good night from us, but stick around. Coming up is Rita Pinnahet