Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, we're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Doctysmina, an incredible integrative GP, and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit v three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more. This is Healthy Her with Amelia Phillips and welcome to this month's Ask Me Anything episode. These are episodes where I get to answer you're burning questions that you've sent me in over email or over Instagram. I've got a real range of questions from you today from beating sugar addiction, to fast quick ways to reduce inflammation, all the way into the question around getting stronger in the gym. So I've got the whole gamut today. But before I dive into these questions, a little bit of a life update from me.
Speaker 2: It's actually been.
Speaker 1: A really good month for me. I'm feeling really good. I've got lots of energy at the moment, which is such a great feeling, feeling good physically. I've got no injuries or ailments or niggles at the moment. My energy levels are surprisingly good considering I've been burning the candle at both ends with the writing of my book and just running a few extra workshops this last month. And I was thinking about why I'm feeling so good, and I think one of the reasons is I've been really happy with this new approach to the year where I've been using the school term as what I'm called a sprint, and then the school holidays as a little bit of a d load and just a chance to catch my breath. And so as I record this, we're just at the end of that ten week school term sprint, and I thought i'd be limping to the finish line but I'm actually feeling really good, and part of it is knowing that I've got this little break coming up, and it's not a huge break. I'm still going to be working, but it's just taking the heat off. I guess I'll go easier on my training not having to get the kids out the door every morning. Few activities are slowing down, So I definitely think one of the reasons why I'm feeling so good is I'm feeling a bit more organized, and I think that's really helped. Then another couple of little tweaks I've made that I think has really impacted my energy levels in a good way is that I have been training really consistently now for ten weeks after having a little bit of a patchy summer. I've been back taking my creatine religiously, my protein, hitting my protein goals as well, and just eating, you know, pretty well throughout the term for me. And so I think the combination of feeling like my fitness my strength has improved, feeling like my nutrition quality has increased a little bit.
Speaker 2: Plus these extra tweaks with the.
Speaker 1: Createin, I really think they are all adding up. And I've been managing my workload and time as best as I can when you are a super busy person. So I think the combination of that little bit of life organization, but just with these tweaks in my training and my diet and this consistency, it's amazing the impact that makes. And I guess that's why I wanted to share that with you, because it's not that it was one thing, but it was rather all these little habits combined throughout the last ten weeks. That's really making me feel like I've got the energy to get through.
Speaker 2: My whole week, my big weeks.
Speaker 1: Now. I remember last year there were days where I felt like I couldn't even make it through Tuesday, let alone the whole week. And it's such a horrible feeling to wake up and just think, oh my goodness, I don't know if I can even get through today, let alone the week. So a learning I'd love to pass on to you in my little story here is don't underestimate the compounding effects of combining a few simple healthy habits and then feeling what those results are on your energy level. You know, do not underestimate the impact of these small, little tweaks and just what a difference it makes.
Speaker 2: Particularly I want to.
Speaker 1: Stress, and I don't feel like we hear this enough around the improvement in physical fitness and strength. I guess let me put it to you in a slightly different way. Are you right now today fitter than you were in January? Are you stronger than you were in January? Because I am, I'd say I'd probably be about five to ten percent fitter and stronger. And so if the answer is yes, even by just a small little amount, you are probably feeling more energetic as a result. For me, you know, I just added in one extra thirty to forty five minute strength training session. It's kind of not a hard session. I'm just doing it by myself. I'm doing it at my own pace, and I've really noticed the impact on my strength of just that extra session. It's not like I'm busting a gut or anything. So for you, it might be around fitness. For example, it might be incorporating a fast finish at the end of your regular cardio session. You might go out for a walk or a little jog, or you might do a class, but you might just pick two to five minutes at the end to just go that little bit harder, just to boost your fitness. A couple of percentage points, and if you do that, even just once a week, then you'll find that at the end of that ten week sprint, you will be a lot fitter, and it will really impact your energy levels in a good way. I'm not perfect by any means, too. Areas I really need to work on are my sleep and also my book writing. Doctor Esmina and I are tad behind where we need to be for our book, which is we're so excited about, but I think both of us underestimated how challenging and time consuming and energy.
Speaker 2: Sucking a book is to write.
Speaker 1: So our deadline is looming and I am feeling the pressure of that, and as a result, my sleep hours have been averaging six or under pretty much every day except for a sleeping day on the weekend. It's starting with a six or below my total sleep hours, which is not a good thing. I can happily easily sleep for eight hours, so clearly my body needs that extra few hours, and I am trying not to fall into that age old trap of oh, when the book's done, then I'll sleep more. I feel like, surely I can do better than that. Even a couple of extra nights a week. So I'm really going to try to focus on getting more sleep, particularly now that Daylight Saving and Sydney has finished, and I feel like we're just getting into that hibernation season. I've got even more reason to I'll report back next month. Ask me next month, meals, how's your sleep going?
Speaker 2: All right? Well, look enough about me.
Speaker 1: Let's dive into these great questions that we got sent through, starting with Mandy Lee, who sent me this over DM over Instagram.
Speaker 2: Help. I'm addicted to sugar.
Speaker 1: I cannot go a day without something sweet and don't know how to tame the monster.
Speaker 2: Any advice. Well, hello, one sugar addict to another.
Speaker 1: I think if you've been listening to this podcast for a while, you will know that I have also had to tame my sugar monster over the years, and I was able to do it. I wouldn't say that I'm completely sugar free. I did not quit sugar, but it definitely doesn't have a hold over me how it used to.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to be really practical with this. Mandy.
Speaker 1: I'm just going to dive straight into some practical strategies because willpower alone, I'm going to tell you, is not going to work. So just sitting there going all right, that's it, no more sugar. I'm just going to clear it out of the house and just stop eating sugar. It just doesn't work. Do you need some will power? But the harder it feels to quit the sugar or to stop eating the sugar, the more likely you are to cave. And so the hardest thing you can possibly do is literally just go all right, you know, kneel my mouth, I'm just stopping all sugar. Okay, that's really really hard, and I find I'd tried that a few times and you just end up caving at some point. So what I'm going to suggest you do is basically kind of two key strategies here. One is to remove the situation, and two is to dive into some really good swaps. So let me unpack both of those super quickly. So by removing the situation, what I mean by that is, let's pick the worst time of the day, because let's not look at your whole eating day as one big event. Let's break it down when are you actually craving and caving into the sugar. For most of us, most of us, it's after dinner, it's at night, like that late night snacking. And the second really common time is that slump, that afternoon slum. So rather than going I've got to change my whole diet, let's just pick one of those that you're really going to nail, and then you might need to move on to the other one. Okay, so let's starting with the after dinner. For me, the couch represented comfort, reward, relaxation, nourishment in a sugary way. And so for me, when I sat on that couch after the kids were in bed, it was very, very hard to not have something indulgent and sugary, even though my husband could sit there and eat an apple. So I had to remove the situation. So what I did. I knew seven days a week it was impossible to not sit on the couch seven days a week after dinner.
Speaker 2: So what I.
Speaker 1: Did was I made a pact with myself that Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday nights, I was not going to watch TV after the kids went to bed. I was going to go straight to my room and I set up a whole new nighttime ritual that involved a bath and you know, romatherapy and bath salts and you know, just a lovely book and journally. I just packed in a few things that I found enjoyable and that felt nourishing. That went food that was really powerful for me. I did not crave. Maybe in the first week or two I had a little think about food, but I really didn't crave anything once I was in that bedroom. So then I gave myself the option to have something sweet on those other nights Thursday through Sunday. Now what happened was, after a few weeks of doing that, I actually ended up loving my bedtime ritual so much more that it extended to a Thursday night and I've kept that going for a few years now. This is just like my new normal now and it serves me and I sleep better will usually but been writing doing some book writing instead. But at least I'm not down on that couch. So that's what I mean about removing the situation. Take the afternoon slump. That can be harder because maybe you're at work or you're at a desk and you're in a bit of a habit, so the afternoon slump. If you can't can't remove the situation, I mean, you can do things like I'm going to go for a walking meeting or instead of sitting right down. After eating, I'm going to go for a walk around the block and just kind of delay while that craving's there. But what I also then want to come to is the second strategy, which is having really good appropriate swaps. For me, just going from craving sugar to eating carrot sticks or a salad or an apple, even a sweet fruit just doesn't cut it. So I'm going to throw a couple of swaps that are satisfying for that sweet tooth but are not nearly as bad as your sneak as bar or whatever it is you're going for.
Speaker 2: So, first of all, dark chocolate. This is where dark chocolate is a.
Speaker 1: Hero, So seventy percent or darker because it's a lot harder to overeat dark chocolate. I mean, you can do it, but for most of us, just a couple of squares suffices. So I love dark chocolate covered nuts, you know, dark chocolate covered almonds or academias are my favorite. So what I will often do after lunch is I will make a bowl of just a handful of berries and a couple two if I'm feeling really bad, three, but usually it's only two dark chocolate covered nuts in that.
Speaker 2: And also I love.
Speaker 1: My collagen hot chocolate, which I make with the brand Chief. They do a great collagen hot chocolate. I just have it with boiling water in a splash of milk. So that's my little afternoon treat, and that is good for you. Dark chocolate's got antioxidants in it. It satisfies my craving. I'm getting some of the healthy fats from the nuts as well. The other great one cheer overnight puddings. So where I will often make a batch, well, I'll batch up maybe three or four glasses, so just drinking glasses where I put a little cheer pudding with some coconut flakes and very healthy and you know, I'll batch it up. I'll do on a Monday night. I might do three or four of them, and then I've got those as a bit of a treat, either in the afternoon or after dinner. So having a couple of really healthy swaps that will still satisfy that sweet craving but aren't nearly as bad. Try to keep them under that two hundred and fifty calorie mark. Is if weight loss is a goal for you, and just a little bit of intention in the early days to set up what those couple of snacks are so they're my two main I guess strategy, So remove yourself from the situation and then find some good swaps. A couple of other things I just want to mention is starting your day with a savory breakfast and just not getting on that sugar roller coaster is an overall good prevention strategy. The other one is really prioritizing protein and low fat dairy. The reason why I say low fat dairy is if weight management is a goal for you, you've got to be careful if you're starting to add a bit more dairy into your diet, and you'll find that the calories can add up over time. So you know, low fat Greek yogurt, cottage cheese for example. I'm really actually enjoying the high protein, low fat milk at the moment because it really does taste like full fat milk, so it's got that lovely, rich flavor. But you'll find if you haven't been having enough protein and then you add that extra bit of protein into your meals, you feel full.
Speaker 2: For so long.
Speaker 1: So that's a really great tip so that you're not actually feeling hungry. And then my final tip is around setting a weekly intention and rewarding yourself. It sounds so childish, but it really really works. When I first started on my quest to beating my sugar addiction, I was a bit like you, Mandy.
Speaker 2: I was just like so over it.
Speaker 1: I was just come on, I got to tame this monster. I set myself a weekly intention. I popped it on a post it note on my computer screen, and I rewarded myself. I was like, this week, you know my intention, This week I will not have dessert Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday night. And then at the end of the week I would reward myself with just something really little, you know, whether it was a breakfast out that felt a bit indulgent or even just a chi late that I just represented a reward for me, and you feel good about yourself, and that positive reinforcement really does make a difference.
Speaker 2: So there you go, Mandy. I hope that helps. I really do.
Speaker 1: But remove yourself from the situation, find your good swaps and just tackle one area first after dinner or afternoon. And the same goes for you know, sugary drinks as well. So if you're trying to get off your coke or your v drink or whatever.
Speaker 2: It is and trying to be healthier, but the same thing applies.
Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, well, you're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three point sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body. You can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Dot Diasmina, an incredible integrative GP, and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit v three sixty dot Health or check out the show notes for more. Question number two Simone bartlem Over email, I've been told I have chronic inflammation and I feel it stiff, puffy.
Speaker 2: I'm also a super busy mum.
Speaker 1: So what are some real life ways to get on top of this, Bearing in mind I'm tired and over it all on, Simone.
Speaker 2: I am hearing you fatter.
Speaker 1: It's the last thing you want to hear, Like, come on, i don't want to hear about this inflammation.
Speaker 2: I've got too many other things going on. But you're feeling it.
Speaker 1: And look, it's kind of good that you're feeling it, because inflammation can be silent. You can have simmering inflammation and not even know it. So at least you are actually aware of it. But I am sorry to hear that you do have chronic inflammation. Well, actually, Simone, I do have some good news for you. The great thing about inflammation and why I do like working with people that do have inflammation is it responds really quickly, so unlike the scales or cholesterole or some of the other markers we work really hard to improve. I love inflammation because I see results really fast, often faster than scales and faster than other metrics. So that's a hopeful message for you. But to keep it simple today, I'm just going to folks on two key principles when it comes to lowering your inflammation, and the first one is to remove the pro inflammatory triggers, and the second one is to dial up your anti inflammatory foods. So it's super simple. I'm not going to go into great detail. There's a whole workshop in this, but let's just focus on these two because these two are the best bang for your buck. So starting with the first one, which is to remove the pro inflammatory triggers. Sometimes if this is all you do, it makes a big difference. And for today and those triggers, I'm going to focus on food. So the biggest trigger are your ultra processed foods.
Speaker 2: And probably straight.
Speaker 1: Away you're thinking about junk food, KFC, machas, you know, takeout, But it's not just junk food. There's lots of sneaky ultra processed foods that are mass as healthy foods, and breakfast cereals, lots of those really highly refined carbohydrate breakfast fit cereals are a great exactmp of that. So think about those refined carbohydrates. So these are your white breads, your white pastas, musely bars where you can't see the bits in them, chips, banana bread muffins, you know, shop bought muffins, all of those foods, biscuits, they're all containing highly refined carbohydrates that, particularly in a perimen of poresal gut that will trigger these things called pro inflammatory cider kinds, which then kind of has a cascading effect.
Speaker 2: So ultra processed foods.
Speaker 1: Another way to look at what are ultra processed foods are basically anything that's got a shelf life for more than a year or two is ultra processed. Except for maybe canned foods. The rest of them that you see on the shelf, those ones that just sit on a shelf in the middle of the aisle of the supermarket, most of those ultra process So just trying to look at your shopping trolley and just reduce those as much as you possibly can. That's removed your pro inflammatory triggers. Alcohol is another one. Look, it depends where you're at. If you don't want to give up alcohol, can you at least halve your intake. Any reduction is great, But if you are on a mission to really lower that inflammation, I'd love to see alcohol down to a complete minimum. Interestingly, you're not going to hear me say remove dairy, and you're not going to hear me say remove caffeine. So unless you have a diagnosed dairy intolerance or you're absolutely sure that dairy doesn't agree with you. Dairy is not pro inflammatory for a lot of people, so don't think that you have to remove dairy from your diet unless you have a really clear, strong reason for caffeine as well. A lot of people think, oh, amerely, I'm being so healthy, I've stopped drinking caffeine. Look, the research shows that one to three cups per day can in some cases have an anti inflammatory effect. My only advice would be just remember the researcher's cups of coffee are probably a lot smaller than ours, and they're probably also looking particularly at the caffeine content, not necessarily the milk. If you're having a lot of highly processed milks, highly refined plant milks, that might have some other additives in them that can make a difference.
Speaker 2: But yeah, one to three cups of coffee a day. Try to wait an hour after.
Speaker 1: You wake up before you have your coffee so your natural wake up hormones can do their beautiful thing.
Speaker 2: And try to stop.
Speaker 1: Drinking your coffee by lunch time so that it's out of your system by bedtime. So that's the removing of the pro inflammatory triggers. And then the second element is dialing up of your anti inflammatory foods, so you're replacing some of those pro inflammatory foods with basically whole foods, and most whole foods have some sort of anti inflammatory effect. But if I'm going to really drill down on some heavy hitters, I will say that your dark purples and blue fruits and veggies are really powerful. They're pat with polyphenols, they're pat with anti inflammatory compounds. So think beetroot, think berries, think plums. Think greens as well, particularly your cruciferous vegetables.
Speaker 2: So if you ever see.
Speaker 1: Brussels sprouts on the menu when you're out, please order them. Broccoli cauliflower as well, but all the greens are great.
Speaker 2: Olive oil is fantastic.
Speaker 1: If weight is a goal for you, just don't be too heavy with your olive oil pouring. But olive oils anti inflammatory. And then of course you've got the beautiful herbs and spices ginger, garlic, turmeric, and dark chocolate. We come back to you, my sweet sweet friend. A little bit of dark chocolate seventy percent or higher is great as well. And then maybe one more thing before we move on to the next question Simone when it comes to reducing inflammation is we do have to talk about body fat, so visceral fat, which is the fat that's marbled around your organs. The belly fat, not the fat that you can squeeze and pick up and jiggle, but the fat that's marbled around your organs is very pro inflammatory. And so if you've noticed that you've gained a little bit of extra body fat, particularly around your belly, that is probably driving up your inflammation levels. So just even a modest weight loss and particularly around that middle, will reduce those inflammatory markers. So you don't have to go on this massive crash diet or anything like that, but you'll probably find by removing those pro inflammatory ultra process foods and replacing them with the anti inflammatory foods, we're going to see the body fat start to come down. Anyway, but that is definitely something to think about if you are carrying a bit of extra fat around the middle. So I hope that helps, Simone, and don't be disheartened, because it is really responsive. The body does not want to be in a state of inflammation, so if we give it the right inputs, then it will restore balance. And I've seen some amazing numbers.
Speaker 2: Come right down.
Speaker 1: And our final question for today comes from Susie Gledhill. Hi, Susie, I'm lifting weights in the gym. Go me, go you, Susie. What are the ideal sets and reps if I want to get stronger? Oh?
Speaker 2: I'm so happy for you, Susie.
Speaker 1: I am loving the messaging out there in the zeitgeist at the moment, and I am seeing lots more ladies in the weights room, which just makes my heart sing.
Speaker 2: And great question, And I guess I wish I could give you, like a really clear answer.
Speaker 1: This is exactly what the research says, but without boring you to tears with all the research sum up, I'm going to tell you that really there's a lot of wiggle room when it comes to sets and reps and getting stronger. So I'm going to start by saying, if you've got a sets and reps range that you feel really comfortable with, and it sits within.
Speaker 2: What I'm about to tell you, just go with that.
Speaker 1: Because everyone's got a little bit of a different take on this. Some people love less reps and much heavier weights. Other people love lots more reps and a lighter weight because they're a little bit unconfident in lifting something heavy or they're inexperienced. But I'll tell you the parameters. So basically, when it comes to repetitions, so counting how many reps I'm doing a bicep curl as I'm sitting here talking to you now, so it might be a squad, it might be a dead lift, how many reps you're going to do. So basically, between four to twelve reps for the majority of people is a really good regular range. I'm going to have some of my really advanced trainers going what about one and one to four rep maximums? But we're just talking about your intermediate exercises, intermediate to advance exercises that are just having general strength training workouts wanting to get stronger that four to twelve reps. There's lots of research that any of those ranges are great. And the set ranges is two to four sets, and again there's arguments to say why sometimes as short as two sets can actually be better. But then if you're doing two sets of an exercise, you might want to do multiple different exercises for that body part.
Speaker 2: So say legs as.
Speaker 1: An example, say that you only like doing two sets because you get really bored. You would then have to move on to another leg exercise, So you might do squats for two sets, then you might move on to leg press or leg extension for two sets. Two sets would not be enough for just one body part, and then moving on, say from legs to upper body, you would need to do multiple exercises. So I hope that makes sense. So two to four sets per exercise, four to twelve reps per set, and then you want to be in the gym for the thirty minutes to an hour max. Can you want to be doing that two to four times a week?
Speaker 2: You will get great results if you do that.
Speaker 1: Okay, But let me now make this clear of for you and tell you what I love to do. Okay, So if you are wanting to get stronger, we have this concept called progressive overload, which means that over time where progressively adding load, whether that be in weights or in reps, and so that over the days, weeks, and months, you are progressively increasing that load and you are getting stronger. Now, a way I love to do this, Susie, and I'd love you to try it and report back is pyramid sets. I love pyramid sets for ladies and particularly for my intermediate ladies because it's very confidence boosting. So how I do a pyramid set is I do four sets of the one exercise. So let's pick squat. So I want you to imagine a barbell squat, so you've got the bar across the back of your shoulders. You're maybe on the squat rack. So set number one, you're going to do twelve reps at a weight whatever weight is comfortable. We call it three reps in reserve, so meaning you could push out twelve reps and you might be able to do three more, but after that you'd be pretty much getting to your max.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So set number one of this pyramid set of squats, you're going to do twelve reps. Then in your you know, one one to two minute break, you're going to add some load on, so you're going to make the weight a bit heavier. And then set number two, instead of twelve reps, you're going to do ten reps. And then set number three you're going to add a little bit more load. Again, this is your heaviest set, and instead of doing eight reps, you're going to do six reps. Okay, And so that's the pyramid. But then what we're going to do for set number four is we're going to drop the weights back to the same weight as set number one, and you're going to go back to twelve reps. Okay, so set one is twelve reps, Set two is eight reps but heavier. Set three is six reps but heaviest, and Set four is light back to twelve reps. And what you'll find is when you get to that lightweight on your final fourth set, you'll go, oh my god.
Speaker 2: The first few reps, this just feels so light.
Speaker 1: But then because you're fatigued, as you get to kind of Rep six to eight, that's when you're really starting to feel the burn and that's where you get that adaptation in your muscles. So I love a pyramid set. And the other reason why I love it is you get used to a heavier weight. So the next time you're on that squat rack again for another workout, you're starting twelve weight might actually be that heavier weight, and so you're getting used to these heavier weights, and slowly, over the weeks, every week you can kind of just keep stepping up the ranks, which I find really confident boosting, And the other reason I love it is because the final set you're back down to that lightweight.
Speaker 2: It's a bit better for.
Speaker 1: Injury prevention because you're more fatigued in the final set. It's nicer that you're on a lighter weight. So pyramid sets, I'm a huge fan. Give them a go. But anywhere between two to four sets of an exercise, four to twelve reps, you're in the gym for thirty to an hour, you are cooking with gas.
Speaker 2: There you have it.
Speaker 1: I love those questions today, really good ones, and I feel like going in doing some pyramid sets after talking about them all. But I've got some great episodes coming up on Healthy Her this month. We've got Mel Brown, who is from Mel Brown Money, and she talks all about financial stress and also the dilemma of do I work for someone or do I start my own business. It's such an interesting question that I hear out there.
Speaker 2: Quite a lot.
Speaker 1: I've also got the beautiful, incredible Lane Beachley coming on and gosh, that was such a powerful interview, and she's going to be talking to us about how to feel more motivated to do the hard things like pyramid sets or quitting sugar, So look out for those episodes dropping every week, and I cannot wait to be back in the booth very very soon. Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, you're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take.
Speaker 2: The targeted action needed.
Speaker 1: With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Doctasmina, an incredible integrative GP, and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit v three sixty dot health or check out the show ow notes for more