Speaker 1: This it's the Media Show. Hello, welcome to the Media Show. I'm Caroline Derusso coming up on the show tonight and we'll take a look at the documentary that got the BBC in hot.
Speaker 2: Water so much so they've apologized.
Speaker 1: Trump's Joint Address to Congress was watched across Australia and the globe, but the progressive media couldn't help it slam even its warmest moments, and Jared Henderson joins me to discuss the project's soft touch when it comes to the teals despite a federal election being just around the corner. But first, with Cyclone Alfred bearing down on Queensland, the progressive media couldn't help but call it unusual and try and link it to climate change. Show all the location of the cyclone maybe further south than usual, but cyclones are not a foreign concept to Queensland, as this post from Senator Matt Canavan shows, And again another post from Matt Canavan referencing the Courier mail Think showing Queensland is actually getting less cyclones and less severe cyclones. But look, let's not let that a wee bit of empirical evidence that get in the.
Speaker 2: Way of a good yarn So the Guardian they went with.
Speaker 1: Is climate change supercharging tropical cyclone Alfred as it powers towards Australia And the ABC proffered what's unusual about Cyclone Alfred? And is climate change affecting how it moves towards the coast? Now, while Alfred is heading towards a densely populated part of the country, it is expected to hit as a Category two cyclone. And yes, we need to take these things very seriously. No, we don't need to hyperventilate about climate change. Joining me now for more on this is my panel, Sky News contributor James Bolt, and the p Our Council is managing director Christy McSweeney. Now, James, while I think more broadly the climate change hysteria it's a beta somewhat. Is the temptation to link cyclones to climate change just too much for the lefties in the media to pass up?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got to say when I read these articles, I just think, no matter how hard we try, we are never going to be free of religion, because it's impossible not to read these articles and not see the inheritance of the gods are angry with us, and we are about to be punished. As Matt Canavan points out, cyclones aren't that are rare when you think about Queensland. But because the human brain just seeks narrative, because it needs to see the world as a battle between good and evil, there are so many people that are just going to want to be told that if we just burned a little less carbon, that if we just built a few more wind turbines, then we'd be free of these cyclones. So I think we are going to see articles such as this, with all this hysteria until the next great modern religion comes along.
Speaker 1: And Christy Obviously, we need to take these significant weather events seriously and we need to be practical about them.
Speaker 2: Does this sort of does this sort.
Speaker 1: Of narrative, this sort of conversation distract from being practical and theoretical and perhaps it's, you know, frankly a bit unhelpful when we're right in the middle of it.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it is distracting.
Speaker 4: Caroline, You're right, you and I are both from Western Australia. The northwest of Western Australia has a.
Speaker 2: Lot of cyclones.
Speaker 4: They are regular occurrence there as they are in Queensland, and very Interestingly, we don't get this concentration of media leading reporting around climate change in Western Australia. When we have these cyclone events. It's very different watching the reporting of this on the East Coast, and perhaps that is because the bulk of Australia's media are on the East Coast and there's a bit of group think going on. And I'd also like to look at the trajectory of how it's been reported, and it's moved away very much from that emergency services response leading with those issues as the lead of the reports.
Speaker 2: And that's what reporting should do when we.
Speaker 4: Talk about natural disasters and cyclones. People have their homes at risk and are looking to media to provide them with information, to prove and to be the voice of those emergency response mechanisms that they can follow to ensure they're safe. We don't have to clutter it with leading with stories to look at issues surrounding that. It's a bit of a blurring of what the media's actual role is in emergency response from disaster, isn't.
Speaker 2: It It is?
Speaker 1: And I think that's actually a really good insight that the Melbourne and syd Sydney Canberra centric news is a long way from where we have cyclones in the northern part of the country.
Speaker 2: So I think that's very, very fair.
Speaker 1: Now over to the BBC, And in February, the BBC aired a documentary Gaza, How to Survive a War Zone.
Speaker 2: Here's a clip.
Speaker 5: My names are the Law, I'm thirteen years old. I'm stuck here in Gaza. Have you ever wondered what you'd do if your world was destroyed? Could you live in a tent, raise your baby?
Speaker 2: Would you help people? Would you try and have some fun?
Speaker 5: Most important?
Speaker 2: Could you stay alive? After all this?
Speaker 5: You could say, we're experts, so let me tell you our story.
Speaker 2: Who knows one day you might need it? Raw, greedy and well more than a little do you?
Speaker 1: So much so that the BBC apologized and pulled the film.
Speaker 2: Now, why is that?
Speaker 1: Well, amongst other things, freelance journalist David Collier uncovered that the boy at the heart of the documentary, thirteen year old Abdollah, is the son of a Hamas official, and yes, he was paid for his role in the film. Now, James, what were the other low lights in the production of this documentary? And how on earth does this stuff just go so wrong?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 3: We have Another child who appeared in the documentary has previously been photographed holding a gun and standing next to a Hamas fighter, and a cameraman who worked on the projects once shared a video of an Israeli soldier murdered, saying it should be watched a million times. So we clearly have an issue here. But what's interesting to me is the BBC's reaction to this because they're trying to put all of the blame on the makers, which is this company called Hoyo Films. They say, okay, well, Hoyo didn't cough up that this kid had a link to Hamas. We asked about it constantly, but Hoyo didn't tell us until it was too late, and that any payment is the result of Hoio Films is making a decision and not the BBC. But the problem is that the BBC edit it is on them. If there was even a one percent chance that your projects might be just a tool of Hamas propaganda, you do not air it, especially with taxpayer money. So it is just an absolute debacle for the BBC.
Speaker 2: I think that's right, Christy.
Speaker 1: I mean this is a bit more than just a whoopsie daisy, right, This is a very very serious failure.
Speaker 2: The BBC, like the ABC, you know, cops a lot of heat often.
Speaker 1: About what they produce and whether it's balanced or not. But does something like this have a long term impact on the BBC's credibility.
Speaker 4: Well, I think it does from a public perception point of view. And what it also does is lays bear the supply chain in how documentaries are edged. And we see here where the supply chain through to people receiving funding to produce that documentary and then selling it to the ABC, to the BBC, and then the BBC and the production company, possibly working together or possibly not, we don't know, but no doubt they would have had to make agreements with that production company to ensure the filming of that documentary was delivered on time, and there would have been some supply chain management in that where everybody obviously has the same ideology and thinks the same because nobody in that supply chain has questioned it. Now, where did the production company get the participants for this documentary? How were they sourced? Did they ask the government? And in which case, of course, that government is likely to be her mask or her mask controlled. And so it seem says the process of manipulation very easily. That's been ongoing here. Nobody has bothered across that production supply chain to actually check because they're all on the same side of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are some definite questions that could have been asked a little earlier. Now on to Australian domestic politics. And while there's never a dull moment in politics, and consequently never a dull moment in the media coverage of it. Now you recall prior to the twenty twenty two federal election, the media was obsessed with roots and pork barreling. Remember the hysteria around car parks and sports grants and the desperate need to have a Federal Integrity Commission to tidy it all up. We'll roll into twenty twenty five and Kriche is still obsessed with Peter Dutton and anything the.
Speaker 2: Coalition is or may spend money on.
Speaker 1: Margaret Reynolds laments that as a former senator, I know Australians are tired of pork barreling and.
Speaker 2: Dutton special grants, but.
Speaker 1: There doesn't quite seem to be the same cynical view being taken of Labour's prom A six hundred and forty four million dollars spend for fifty urgent care clinics which just happened to magically be slated for marginal seats. Christy, you were very close to the last federal campaign, and prior to the last election, the media went very hard on the coalition when it came to allegation support barreling. They don't seem to be as curious of the government this time around.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think they do.
Speaker 4: And of course marginal seats and the urgent care clinics. Another point I'd like to make is that Labour's actually been embarrassed the last three or four years to send MPs out to these urgent care clinics that they've funded at the last election because a lot of them have actually stopped bock billing, so you can go to an urgent care clinic, but you will have to pay it for it. So that's something that they're trying to rectify with their eight and a half billion Medicare funding. So it's been a bit of an embarrassment from the start. That's point one. But point two this sort of pails into significance, doesn't it. Over fifteen hundred dollars grant given to a gun club that someone.
Speaker 2: Was once a member of.
Speaker 4: In a coalition government, it is a lot of pork barreling going along. We've seen it here with Victorian Libor Toory. There's an election coming up in Victoria November next year. They've well and truly fired the starting gun on their pork barreling too. With various road funding being announced.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and someone's got to paper over the suburban rail loop, I suppose.
Speaker 2: And it seems that federal government is doing.
Speaker 1: A fair bit of that to help out Victorian Labor and James. The urgent care clinics are just one example. The major party's plans to speed up housing construction is another. But again it's not only the last government versus this government, but even within as between the reporting on the major parties during this election it seems to be quite different. Do you think the voters will notice?
Speaker 3: Well, I've got to say I think SKYE News Australian and all of our news corps, I think there's been some really good reporting on Labour pork as much as the other organizations have been reporting on Liberal pork barreling. And I got to say I am just very happy to see any reporting about pork barreling at all. I think the winners and losers mentality that gets into Australian elections about which party is going to do more for me. I think it's one of the great sicknesses of Australia and pretty much Western democracy. I mean, we have both parties. They just say these beautiful, eloquent things about fiscal responsibility and we can't leave this massive debt burden to the next generation, and that it's completely all undone. Every time there's an election year, I think it's just every time a political party tries to just get out the checkbook just to buy a few more it's knowing that when the eventual bill is due that they're all either going to be well out of politics and back in the cushy lobby jobs. I think the reporting needs to stay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's I think that's a very very fair comment. James Bolt, Christy mcswainey, thank you so much for your time. Now up next and we head over to the US to take a look at how other progressive media in the States is struggling to cope still struggling.
Speaker 2: To cope with Trump two point zero.
Speaker 1: Welcome back, to Stars and Gripes, where we tear apart the actions of the bitter activists masquerading as journalists in the United States. Now, this week, we were all glued to the screen as Donald Trump delivered his Joint Address to Congress, a ninety plus minute speech, the longest in over sixty years, was full of the expected and the unexpected, delivered in trademark Trump's style.
Speaker 2: Here's one of the best bits.
Speaker 7: Joining us said the gallery tonight is a young man who truly loves our police.
Speaker 6: His name is DJ.
Speaker 7: Daniel is thirteen years old, and he has always dreamed of becoming a police officer. Twenty eighteen, DJ was diagnosed with brain cancer. The doctors gave him five months at most to live, and tonight, DJ, We're going to do you the biggest honor of them all. I am asking our new Secret Service Director, Sean Curran to officially make you an agent of the United States Secret Service.
Speaker 2: And this is the young boy's story.
Speaker 8: I had thirteen brain surgery. That's how many times my personality has changed. And that's something that you don't hear from a termity old child. They have five months to live. I'm gonna keep on going in some of my gas tanks right outy. And that's when God calls you home. You never know when God's gonna call you home. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for my dad. I know he's pretty proud proud of me, and I'm pretty proud of him too. And I like to thank President Trump because if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be here today.
Speaker 2: And he even got to visit the Oval Office. Now you think that.
Speaker 1: Everyone would just embrace that young boy, his story and the very kind honor bestowed upon him, But no. Rachel Maddow from MSNBC had this to say for.
Speaker 2: The record, and this is disgusting.
Speaker 9: The President made a spectacle out of praising a young man who serves thus first survived pediatric cancer, as if the President had something to do with that.
Speaker 2: And Nicole Wallace wasn't any better.
Speaker 10: I hope he has a long life as a law enforcement officer, but I help he never has to defend the United States Capital against Donald Trump supporters, and if he does, I hope he isn't one of the sex he loses his life to suicide.
Speaker 1: There were also various headlines labeling the speeches divisive, and our friends at the Guardian focused on the democrats resistance and disturbance in the chamber rather than the actual substance of the speech. Surprisingly, the people seem to like what Trump had to say, and a CBS News poll showed seventy six percent approved of the speech. Joining me now from New York is filmmaker Armi Horovitz. Army, we continue to see this chasm between the positions of the establishment media and the Democrats on one side, and everyday people on the other. This seems to me to just be another example has the media not worked out yet that they've been played like a fiddle.
Speaker 6: Now the Mesia media hasn't worked out anything. If they did, they wouldn't be seeing their numbers plummeting year after year after year. There are one hundred percent out of touch both with what people want and the fact that they're not serving it and therefore they are actually fitting their own destruction. And this example of what happened with trump'speech is another example of their failure to understand the disconnect from the people who were suppose be paying to watch their shows. Yes, look, the polls were significantly in favor of the President, You've broke them down based on Democratic, Republican independent. Essentially that setting five percent was all independent and all Republicans, right, they lost basically all the independents. That's where the game is politically and also in the media. And know they refused to acknowledge that they doubled down this lunacy. It is costing them viewers, it is costing them money. I mean, look, before the speech even happened, I was watching CNN and EPICENTBC as I am I generally do, I want to see the perspective there, and they began the attacks before the speech even began. They were attacking. They were delegitimizing all the accomplishments they're breaking down. For example, when it came to immigration, they're saying, and this immigration massive drop ninety in some cases ninety five percent dropped in illegal immigration is not due to the President. I was like, what world are you living? And they're disconnected from reality. And of course after the speech, it's like, there's the multi the idea of the multiverse, right where you have this idea of multiverse that we have an infinite amount of universe that exists at the same time and space, that everything that possibly could happen is happening concurrently in one of these multiverses. It's like two of these multiverses collided and now we're seeing we're in the same space and time, but we're seeing things exactly differently, almost opposite from each other, and the media can not figure it out. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: It is crazy, And you refer to that plummeting viewership. We've seen progressive hosts like Joid Reid, she's lost her show.
Speaker 2: Will they work.
Speaker 1: Out that the landscape has changed because at some point they need to be reasonable to survive.
Speaker 6: No, of course, not that they know that a rhetorical question. They're they have not worked it out. They will not work it out. They're in a death spiral. They're desperate to figure out how to get out of it, and they simply can't. And listening now, listen to those clips you played, Oh my god, Rachel Maddow saying it's disgusting, You're disgusting. Are you serious right now? I mean the fact that he's calling out First of all, look, Rita said that, yes, I can sometimes be cynical and heartless. She may be true. I don't know, ask my family, my friends, but The truth is is that, yeah, it was very heartwarming to see this kid with brain cancer, terminal brain cancer get this award. They couldn't even let the president have that. And then Nicole Wallace and I don't know what happened to her. Am I crazy? Wasn't she a Republican at some point? But she goes on and she's going back to the same tropes of January sixth. Nicole, No one cares. We've moved off of that. You are still going over January sixth. That's why MSNBC ratings have plummeted because of that move on. Find something new? God, what is going on?
Speaker 2: Oh look, we're all whiting and let's say if it happens. But also light law.
Speaker 1: This week, we saw that very tense exchange between Donald Trump, JdE Events and President Zelenski. Here's a really here's a short clip for anyone who's been living under a rock.
Speaker 4: Do you think that respectful lands to come to the Oval Office.
Speaker 11: Of the United States of America and attack the administration that is trying to trying to prevent the destruction of your country?
Speaker 12: A lot of questions, Let's start from the beginning. Sure, First of all, during the war. Everybody has problems, even you, but you have nice ocean and don't feel now, but you will feel.
Speaker 1: It in the fusion.
Speaker 6: Bless You don't know that.
Speaker 8: I'm blessed.
Speaker 12: You're un blessed. You're not here to work.
Speaker 6: Don't tell us what we're going to feel.
Speaker 7: We're trying to solve a problem.
Speaker 6: Don't tell us what we're going to feel.
Speaker 12: I'm not telling you because you're in no position to dictate that. Remember this, You're in.
Speaker 7: No position to dictate what we're going to feel.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: This has elicited some pretty wild responses from the media. There was this spicy clash on CNN.
Speaker 3: President Zolensky was the instant gator in this conversation, absolutely andraduating that.
Speaker 13: Was a propaganda. He interjected, by what you say and how you really this entire situation, I'm ann alumni. You're offended that the United States wants I'm gonna States army. That's what I'm gonna alumnia, and millions of veterans around this country saw that today on our outrage of all background, because of the million, because there are like you who are from the standing with Putin instead of America.
Speaker 1: That Zelinsky shouldn't have to Why.
Speaker 2: Now those took a very different view.
Speaker 11: This isn't the first time that Lensky has seemed to kind of shake America down.
Speaker 6: I remember there was the deal with America's.
Speaker 2: Country.
Speaker 11: Well, when you come before the United States of America in the Oval Office, then you need whether there.
Speaker 2: Was so much to chorum.
Speaker 6: Well, they responded to him.
Speaker 11: Respectful, and you're going to find out the response to it.
Speaker 1: The other thing, and this longtime supporter of Ukraine shocked us all with the headline Zelenski must men breach with Trump or resign.
Speaker 2: Now, I mean, we.
Speaker 1: Get that this meeting didn't play out in the usual way, but it feels like the responses have been very divergent, very unpredictable. There was just so little middle ground. What's your view on how it landed in the US?
Speaker 6: I gotta be honest, it's really hard to wash that train wreck of a meeting. I mean, that really went off the rails, unquestionably about it. And by the way, no one is covered in glory in that Oval Office meeting to it just to work clear. I mean, look, okay, let's let's give us a context. Okay, it's so curious to me, right, why the left of the media are somehow become so anti Russian. Right, let's take a look at that for a second. Like they had become so like almost like proto Republican in the eighties, Like don't you do we not forget that when Obama was debating Romney, and Romney was going after Russia, right, and Obama was like, hey, the A's are calling they want their foreign policy back, right, and all of a sudden, like it was you know all then it was not the liberals would laugh our Republicans that are so strikingly anti Russian, and it's all kind of flip right, and now they're like pro Ukraine. They want they're like warhawks. Why is that right? Why have they done that? It's because they've looked at Trump wrongly, by the way, they look at Trump and say he's pro Putin. Therefore we have to hate Trump, and hating Trump means hating Russian. Right, That's really what the basis of all this pro Ukraine beating the war drums that we hear from the left and the media has really really picked up that water and carried it for the Democrats. And by the way, let's not forget they also are using Russia because they they they're so invested in that narrative that run that Trump is a catch paw for putin that they haven't given that up. They haven't get up the ghost on that argument because they invested so much of their time and their credibility in that false argument, they cannot let it go, right. And I think that's what the major problem you see with the media and the left when it comes to Russia tonight. Now, by the way, I don't disagree with them. I happen to think Russia is an enemy. I haven't changed my position on that. And by the way, it bothers me that some Republicans, not most, but some Republicans really have defended Russia and attacked Ukraine. I don't like that at all. I didn't like when the President calls Lynsky a dictator, right, But the same time, look Ylynsky. You know, obviously he walked into something and he looked he screwed up, no question about it. He was told beforehand, guys, Sam Zilinski, do not focus on security guarantees. You'll get them when you have an economic tie in together, which is the whole point of that meeting, and he disregarded that when right into it, and then JDVD jumped in from the top rope ward bare and look that's what precipitate this whole thing. Look, the whole thing was ugly. But yeah, the media, they have no credibility. Companies absolutely none, and.
Speaker 1: The maitream media they're still struggling even to come to terms with the Democrats lost last November.
Speaker 2: Now he is ESPN host Stephen A. Smith sparring with the ladies on the View.
Speaker 14: He's been going around with his cronies touting his so called lan landslide and blowout win.
Speaker 6: But he won the.
Speaker 14: Popular vote by one point five percent, one of the smallest ever, and he won the general election by less than fifty percent.
Speaker 6: So what kind of mandate is this really?
Speaker 11: Well, it is a mandate, and I'm going to explain why, and I don't mind the question, but let me be very clear. I'm no supporter of Trump. I'm a supporter of truth in the facts. And here's the facts. The man won every swing state, he increased in terms of his voter turnout in his favor. From the standpoint of blacks, Latinos and young voters. He increased his numbers in that regard from twenty twenty, eighty nine percent of the county shifted to the right. That's a mandate.
Speaker 1: So instead of learning from their mistakes, the revisionism has just started. As Stephen Asmith said, he's no fan of Trump, but at least he's willing to have the conversations that other in the media don't appear willing to have.
Speaker 6: Yees, stephen A. Look I stephen A and I had a Twitter war ones. You know, I didn't like him at that point, but I really have been turned around on him. Stephen A really is seeking the truth. I still don't know what his real politics are. I got to be honest. It's even more surprising because he comes from sports, and sports has become a repository of wokeness. Right, You watch ESPN, even watch Fox Sports sometimes, I hate to say it, and you watch uh Fox Fox, I'm sorry. You watch sports talk talk shows and talk radio, and there's a lot of like progressive wokeness there. I mean, let's not forget that. You're watching you know, football, the real football, guys, American football, and it says end racism in the end zone. Right, I'm like Okay, yeah, okay, they said they wrote racism and all about love and the helmets, and therefore we're all good. It's all love and racism is over because they wrote it down there. So it's even particularly surprising that he can be such a truth sayer when he's coming from sports. He was kind of, you know, gone so left. So it's impressive. But no, the media continue. It's they have learned no lessons from this election. V Row none. It's unbelievable to me they continue to go down this road. They lost this this, this, this, uh, this election in no small part because the media had no credibility to the American electorate that every time they said democracy is going to end, no one believed it. They didn't like it. They pushed back, and that's why Trump is president. So good for Steve Nay Smith to go on the view and to speak truth to power. Nothing they have any power, They have no power. No one watches them.
Speaker 2: But speaking of the truth.
Speaker 1: And lastly, Jeff Bezos recently announced an overhaul to the Washington Post opinion page, notably that the opinion pages will soon be writing every day in support and defense of two pillars, personal liberties and free markers will cover other topics too, of course, but viewpoints opposing those pillars will be.
Speaker 2: Left to be published by others.
Speaker 1: Now, there's obviously been backlash Army, and Bezos has similarly clapped back at his critics, saying that there was nothing fascist about free markets.
Speaker 2: I mean, ami, I think fascist.
Speaker 1: Is one of the great misused words of the modern day.
Speaker 2: But more to.
Speaker 1: The point, the overhaul actually sounds pretty sensible to me, and I'm pretty sure if Bezos is doing it, it's because it's a lucrative one.
Speaker 2: I don't think the winging of the left is du joure.
Speaker 6: Now, first of all, fascism has become hollowed out and meaningless, because when everything is fascist, nothing is fascist, just like racism, when everything is racist, nothing is racist. Two of the great misgivings I have had over language is the denuding of those two particularly powerful words that now mean nothing. They've been hollowed out. But look, one of the I have to be honest, something that's so delicious about Trump bringing a winning is watching our tech overlords kiss the rings of President Trump. And you saw Mark Zuckerberg with Facebook do an absolute bad face. Now you're seeing Jeff Bezos do the same thing. I think it's delicious. I think it's wonderful. Love to see it. I'm here for it. Yeah. The Washington Post. Look, this is the paper of record, right, the Washington Post, one that broke the Watergate scandal. Oh how far the mighty They've become. Gross, they become again, they become the holy grail of wokeness along with the New York Times. But they've failed more than New York Times. New York Times at least has be come to put They've been able to put together a business model which has worked.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 6: The Washington Post has not been able to do that. The Washington Post has seen a viewership creater, and they've had no ability whatsoever to get them back. So I think I think what you see there is Baso seeing two things. One is, don't get on the bad side of Trump A and B. He sees this asset that he bought losing value every single day, and he's desperate to find something that will turn around. And now thankfully he's saying we're now going to push two issues, uh, personal freedom and the free markets. Thank god, decades too late, but I'll take it, and I betly I've never thought that newspapers should actually take positions on endorsing presidents. I always thought it didn't make sense. It was kind of icky, and I'm glad they decide not to endorse anybody, and I thought it's a right move and maybe that will see them. I doubt it, but who.
Speaker 1: The hell knows anyway, no doubt we will see Army Horovitz. Thank you so much for your time, and up next, the left media's love affair with the Teals continues. Jared Henderson joins me to break down the latest.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 1: Joining me now, as he does each and every week, is Sky News, Australia's media watchdog columnist Jared Henderson. Jared, you've noticed this week that the left wing media in Australia seems to be giving the Teals a bit of a free run. Here's a network tends the project doing their best last Sunday.
Speaker 15: Do you think that there is this growing on that like a growing appetite towards independence?
Speaker 11: Then and then are you comfortable and being the kind of face of that new wave.
Speaker 6: It's going to be a big challenge, is it a this selection?
Speaker 16: But it's also a challenge for them as well, like the fact that we call them the Teals.
Speaker 2: It's not what they call themselves.
Speaker 3: It's just because we're like, I can't deal with all these independent people.
Speaker 6: Let's make up a term for them, Like they.
Speaker 15: Don't actually necessarily sit down together, come at the same policies, don't.
Speaker 6: We just can't deal with all these different independence can we, Jared?
Speaker 2: We can't just call them the Teals? What's your reaction?
Speaker 16: Well, that's Rooke Castle at the end there. They call themselves the Teals. They pose together in photographs, they tend to operate together. They were essentially got into parliament because they were funded by the multi billionaire Simon Holmes a court. They pretty well act together. They're all in parliament because they got preferences from the Labor Party and all the Greens, and that's if their return at the next election, that'll be the same again. So when you look at it, they sound like a party, they look like a party. But according to Craig, then a couple of people. So what you had there in these instances is essentially the ABC or the Project. In this instance Craig grew Castle's on the ABC but supporting a Till candidate in a seat in Queensland in McPherson and a seat in Victoria in one And what happened on the project was that the sitting Liberal or National Liberal Party member in Queensland and the Liberal Party member of Victoria weren't even mentioned, or they were vaguely mentioned, but they weren't interviewed. It was like they weren't there. It was like these new teals were going to suddenly come in and win seats in Parliament just sort of by themselves and without any kind of opposition. But the idea that they're not a party, well really they are a party.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they probably are for quacks like one right. And then obviously the ABC senior reporter Laura Tingle, she did a story on seven point thirty about Australia's involvement in Ukraine and guests who she interviewed for their opinion.
Speaker 17: It's one thing for the Europeans to stand up for Ukraine, but another for Australia, particularly given the past caution about taking a different position to President Trump on almost anything. And while the government's language may reverberate in Washington, at home, opinion polls pointing to a likely minority government suggest views on the cross bench may need to be taken into consideration. The MP for Goldstein, Zoe Daniel, says it is time for some plane talking with our ally.
Speaker 15: I don't think it's sustainable to just hope that this situation will go away and we can walk on eggshells around Donald Trump for the next four years in the hope that he find impose tariffs on our key exports because we defy him in some way.
Speaker 2: Now, Jared, everyone is entitled to an opinion.
Speaker 1: But Tingle asking her former ABC colleague Zoe Daniel and Tia lamp what do you make of that?
Speaker 16: Well, a coincidence obviously. You'll note that Zoe Daniel gets a lot of coverage on ABC television and Radio National in particular seven point thirty here. And what's happening really is that ABC people like Laura Tingle and their producers are going to their former colleague to get an opinion. Now, on my last count, there's around fourteen independent on the cross bench. That's a lot of people, but Zoe Daniels one of fourteen. But you rarely see the others. You only really see the teals who are in Parliament. You don't see the others, But what happens when parliament resumes, As we know, everyone gets one vote, but Zoe Daniels certainly getting a special treatment on the ABC. And the other point to bear in mind is she's on a narrow margin and Gold scene she won on the back of Labour and Green's preferences. Her margins around three percent. It's not necessarily clear that she'll be back in parliament. She may well win. I don't know, she may not win, but she's certainly getting a lot of free kicks in front of an open goal from her former ABC colleagues. Because it's never explained why out of the fourteen you pick Zoe Daniel. I don't know why that's the case. Or Electraspender gets a very good run as well, but it's not clear why the others aren't mentioned. Because if an incoming government, Labor or the Coalition has to form a majority government out of the minority people or preside over a minority government, they're as I said before, Zoey Daniel's got one vote and everyone else has got one voters there and we don't even know how many people are going to be there. But these are really soft interviews that where people like Zoey Daniels are never challenged by their former ABC Colleagues's never challenged at all.
Speaker 1: And you know, if they are going to form part of any mine already government, what they actually think is really important.
Speaker 2: So you think that though some of those questions would be a bit tougher.
Speaker 1: And now, finally, Jared, you noticed yet another example, but this time the ABC pedaling a bit more climate fearmongering. In case we haven't had enough this time, ABC Radio National Breakfast host Sally Sarah here is how she ended her interview with the Federal Minister for Emergency Management.
Speaker 15: That's Jenny McAllister there, the Federal Emergency Management Minister, and of course previously was in the climate change portfolio.
Speaker 2: Now very much on the front line. I really can't help themselves, can they, Jered?
Speaker 16: Well, the front line is it's like World War One, and you know, on the front line. But as we know, in that area of southern Queensland and northern New South Wales there have been cyclones and this kind of adverse weather at least three times in the last sixty years, so it's not really a front line. It's not like this because if it was, if it's a front line tomorrow. What was it in nineteen fifty four. I mean, no one even thought about it in this way. I mean, what we know is that there's no evidence as far as I'm aware, that connects any cyclone with climate change. So what's happening is is just sort of more emergency thinking, panic hyperbole, like someone a minister in the Albanezi government heading off to the front line. Well, people on the front line used to fire weapons. I mean that Minister Jenny McAllister is going there to try and help out, but I mean it's hardly a front line. But when you sort of build all these up, there's a climate change catastrophe, there's a front liner which it must be fought, provided to forget the other front lines, and which it was never fought when it happened once before. So again it's sort of this very much ABC line, And it's very hard to find anyone on the whole of the taxpayer funded public broadcaster who would disagree with the kind of position that Salisara is putting. It's sort of part of a quasi religious, secular religious belief in the ABC which is never challenged, And so when people say, oh, I'm off to the front line. People assume, well there is a front line, but there isn't one.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 1: No, and you think, you know, when we're right in the middle of these things, that we would be a bit more practical about them.
Speaker 2: Grett, thank you so much for your insights this evening.
Speaker 1: Now that's all we have time for tonight's show up next is Newsnight.