Speaker 1: I want the fairy tale, I want the prince charming.
Speaker 2: She how do I put this? Isn't a fan of my kissing style.
Speaker 1: Boyfriend and girlfriend for about twelve hours. He's in a trash bin. He's non recyclable. Catching her up.
Speaker 2: I love being love, I love love.
Speaker 3: On today's episode of Where's Your Head At, we are sitting down with Amber Paul, who runs the wildly popular influencer updates au Instagram account.
Speaker 2: We will be asking her what it is like to run an accounts such as this, how she gets her goss, ask her about her most juicy stories, and also find out her thoughts on cancer culture and online buoying.
Speaker 3: We will also ask her why she thinks influencers should be held to accounts for their actions and whether we set our expectations of.
Speaker 1: Them too high.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned.
Speaker 3: Where's Your Head At is a podcast that talks all things relationships, breakups, reality TV, trending shows, and everything in between.
Speaker 2: This is your new go to destination for laughs, gossip, intimate details, advice, and much more.
Speaker 1: Hi Amba, Welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 4: Hianna, Hi Matt, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Hey, thank you for jumping on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're so excited to have you here. We have so many burning questions.
Speaker 4: I'm excited to be here. I'm a bit starstruck. Love Island alumni are.
Speaker 2: Saying before, you're a big fan of Love Island.
Speaker 4: I am.
Speaker 2: Yes, even to the point you remembered what Anna was wearing when she walked in.
Speaker 1: Even I've forgotten that Anna was a pink girl. She's wearing pink today.
Speaker 2: Wears your head up.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: It's to be very young mum.
Speaker 3: So you have kids at home, so thank you for making the time to do this.
Speaker 4: That's okay. So my husband's got them at the moment, he's taken them for a drive. And yeah, I don't know if I'm a young mom. I'm thirty four.
Speaker 1: Definitely a young Definitely, I'm thirty one.
Speaker 3: And when I become a mom up until like even when i'm forty, I'll be a young mum.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I say. I won't be looking at fatherhood until long past thirty four at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well yeah, anyway, Obviously, the first question that I just wanted to ask you was because obviously you run influencer Updates. It's a very popular gossip Instagram page.
Speaker 1: Would we say.
Speaker 4: That I prefer to call it a news account. When people ask me what do I do, I say, it's a news account. I feel like his account, yeah, because I don't just do gossip. Like it's not just rumors, it's actual updates of I'm doing a lot of reposting what the influencers are posting themselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I've been following you for a while.
Speaker 3: I think, I, actually this is so random, but you know, attis Paul. He was following you and then I for some reason looked at who he was following and I found you, and I was like, oh, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: I'm going to follow along.
Speaker 3: And I've been following every since, and it is very interesting. I mean, we obviously are very into pop culture with the podcast, so it's definitely it's good to keep up today.
Speaker 4: And it's good to follow because I have spoken about both of you on the account before.
Speaker 2: That was our next question, what have you said about Anna or myself on your podcast on your Instagram?
Speaker 4: Well, Matt, funnily enough, you were actually one of the first videos I ever did, back when I was doing TikTok videos.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, your relationship with Kira that was big news at the time.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, take a trip to memory lane. I'll have to go back and have a look at that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, two and a half years ago that account started.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so you started on TikTok and then you moved to Instagram or yeah.
Speaker 4: So it was my sister Kayla. She's the owner of Tribe Skincare. So yeah, yeah, I don't know if you know the brand.
Speaker 3: Yeah absolutely, yeah, Oh that sounds for Meal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'd know Edge.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's popular on Instagram and TikTok as well. But so she'd had a bit of experience with TikTok and she encouraged me to start on there and taught me how to use it, just because like the algorithm, like it favors new accounts, whereas like if you were to start an Instagram with no followers, like they're not going to show your video to anyone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 4: It quickly grew to about seventy thousand followers within about a year. And that's when I made the switch to Instagram, just because I could be more interactive with people, like doing q and a's and the polls, and yeah, just a lot more. I could do videos and static posts a lot more flexibility.
Speaker 1: So what was your first post to kind of go viral?
Speaker 4: First one to go viral? Well, I suppose the very first post I ever did. It was about ash Mesher. There's the Mesha twins. They're famous influencers, and she had just had a breast augmentation and I simply posted, you know, his her information she's had a breast augmentation before and after. And yeah, as I said, that was the first video I ever did, and it got about fifty thousand views in just a day, and that's when I was like, Okay, there's people that actually want to view this content.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, it's very popular. It's definitely people love to hate influencers.
Speaker 4: Right, Definitely love to hate.
Speaker 3: Do you get would you say that people hate more than love toward, like when they're like sending you gossip and things like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely. And I think that a lot of people they want my account to be very negative and calling influencers out and holding them accountable for their mistakes. But it's definitely not why I started the account. I started it because I love influences that I love pop culture, and yeah, I want to post the good things as well as the scandalous things.
Speaker 2: So do you have a lot of people sending stuff into you and then like gossip that they like they don't really have proof on. Like somebody might say, like, you know what I mean, I saw this, I saw that. Will you not post it unless you have evidence of that action or whatever?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so just for defamation reasons, Like I can't really just go off a rumor, although I mean I can sometimes I do like blind items where I'll blank out the name and post a rumor and people have to guess who it is. A lot of the time it's pretty easy to guess.
Speaker 1: I've just back to us.
Speaker 2: Have we ever been one of them? Because there was one, so I won there was one. I remember. I think you sent it to me where I sent it back to you, where we were like, fuck, that's me.
Speaker 4: To me. That might have been. There's been a lot of them over the years. It's hard to remember, but you'd probably remember better than me, especially if it was about you.
Speaker 2: It was maybe a year a year ago or something, and I was like, fuck, that's awfully close, Like I've done that.
Speaker 4: Okay, probably you.
Speaker 1: What's been your juiciest story to break?
Speaker 4: Could you say the juiciest I suppose relationships are always the biggest story. People love knowing relationships as well as friendships. But yeah, yeah, so I remember, like probably a year ago, I had been getting like a lot of different I suppose tips and stuff about Tammy Hembro and her fiance Matt Poul just different things like that didn't seem quite right, and then when I looked at it and put it all together, I was like, oh, I think they've actually broken up. And so I put it together as a TikTok video, just like a one minute video, and then like the media got hold of it and they were like posting about it on news sites, and that one went pretty viral, and unfortunately it was true, but they hadn't broken the news themselves yet. So yeah, that one was pretty unfortunate. But yeah, that's probably the Mard case.
Speaker 2: Do you do you ever feel bad that like you're doing that before they've like had the chance to post, or they've probably had a grieving time and they want their privacy.
Speaker 4: Do you feel I probably should feel bad. I don't know, Like I just I feel like because I'm posting public information, like it's only stuff that they've posted themselves. It's not like I was posting that based on a tip off or anything. But yeah, it's tricky. I suppose like you've got to be careful what you do post about people, make sure you're not upsetting anyone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was about to say.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely. There's been a few just like dms of get this off your page, or I'm going to send you a season desist, or this is defamation, which I know very well the defamation laws in Australia and the things I'm posting are not defamation. But if it's going to upset them that much, like I'm going to take it down or I'll at least turn off the comments.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So there's been things that you've posted in the past where people have asked your influencers have asked you to take it down, and you have taken it down.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely. Like even Emma Isaacs, she's the owner of business Chicks. Just recently her ex husband posted like a series of stories about an unnamed person and they were less than flattering, and I just assumed that was about his ex wife, Emma, and so I put together a post saying, you know, Roman Isaacs has made this post about his ex wife Emma Isaacs and she contacted me and was like, you know, this is defamatory. You can't put my name on this, like it's not about me and it's not true, which I agree with her, like in hindsight, I you know, I posted it very quickly because I was like, this is exciting information, and then I took that one down because yeah, she was like, you know, I will have to send you a legal letter if you don't take this down.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Do you know what's interesting is Arachon like there's a lot.
Speaker 3: Of influencers out there that I've never heard of, but you seem to know them all, like yeah.
Speaker 1: Like ever like posts about people and I'm like, who is this?
Speaker 3: And then I like look them up and I'm like, oh, okay, this is like you know someone in this space or that says.
Speaker 1: But I mean, you're so all over it.
Speaker 3: How do you say so all over the growing number of influencers in Australia.
Speaker 4: I suppose. So that's why this is a niche account, because yeah, they're the sort of people that I'm reporting on that aren't going to be reported on in the mainstream media usually. I mean you too, as ex reality are definitely reported in the mainstream media. But most of the people aren't, and I suppose it's just consuming the content myself. Like I consume a lot of social media content because it is something I enjoy. And then yeah, I've been following influencers since I don't know, maybe twenty thirteen when Instagram sort of started picking up. And yeah, I've got a really good memory too, so I remember a lot of the things that influencers have posted over the years.
Speaker 3: Do you work with other kind of like I know that you would say that you're in news kind of page, but there's definitely other gossip pages. Would you kind of collaborate with them on information or do you talk to any of them?
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely, So I mean in DMS, we talk a lot behind the scenes, So a lot of the things that I post, like I said, I try to be a NewsPage. So if somebody me something I don't know trying to like, it might be that like an influencer hasn't strapped their child into a child seat properly, and people are very triggered by that, and that's not the sort of content that I would post. So I might be like, oh, here's some content that I was sent. If you want to post it and you can.
Speaker 2: That's that's more likely. There's other pages that do that sort of stuff, which is more like that cancel culture negative vibes, which I like. Yeah, I hate that sort of stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yep, and I try to stay away from that as well. Like as I said, I run this account because I like influencers. I'm not trying to call them out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of gossip sites, with the exception of a couple, are anonymous. You, on the other hand, have put your face to the page. What made you decide to do that and not keep it anonymous.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm really not sure why everyone is anonymous. I guess they share their opinion a lot more than me, whereas my account's not really an opinion account. As I said, I'd try to keep it more factual. But I do find that if I do share my opinion, I get sent a lot of dms like disagreeing or attacking me, and a lot agreeing as well with the opinion. So I think that that's probably why they stay anonymous, because they're sharing their opinion and they just don't want to get that hate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you posted something recently actually on Influencer Updates saying that you're taking a step back from the page.
Speaker 1: What made you do that?
Speaker 4: There was a tipping point? And yeah, going back to the legal letter question, there was a legal letter that I received just recently. This was my first legal letter that I have received. And so last Wednesday, I reposted somebody else's content. So they had made a video calling out Karina Irby for photoshopping her photos. And she's like a body positive influencer and talks about not photoshopping, and he had proof that she indeed photoshopped her photos, right, Yeah, definitely, And she ended up admit that, yes, she had photoshopped the photos, right. But she was very upset at the time, I suppose, and asked me to take the video down. And I was sort of like, well, no, this is online anyway, like you know, people are going to see it regardless of whether I post it. And then she was like, you know, I'm going to send you a legal letter to take it down. And as I said, people have said that to me before and nothing happens. But she actually followed through and two days later, on Friday night, I received a knock on my door and was served with my first legal letter.
Speaker 2: Is that a scary moment.
Speaker 4: Oh, I wasn't scared. I don't know how they got my address. But I also don't mind, like I live in Geelong in just like the suburbs, Like I've got no reason that anyone would ever come here. So yeah, I'm not too worried about that. But I did speak to a lawyer.
Speaker 2: You have a lawyer.
Speaker 4: I don't have a lawyer as such, but I contacted a lawyer and they said to me, like for free. They said to me, you know, the letter that you've been sent has no legal grounds, like you haven't done anything wrong, so just reply to them saying that you know you've taken the video down and that's the end of it. So that's what I did, and I haven't heard back, so yeah, I mean, I didn't want to upset her, and it's sad that it came to a legal letter. But I can see what I did wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, me, And even just hearing this gives me anxiety. So I don't know how your anxiety is dealing with this. Do you suffer from anxiety?
Speaker 4: No, I don't, luckily, which is uncommon to hear these days, like so many people do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've got I've got like secondhand anxiety for you, just thinking about someone knocking on my door with like legal documents.
Speaker 2: When I got served, I was actually pretty funny to have you been served? Yeah? For the court case. I was like, they like, does Matsakowski live here? I'm like, NOx, like, no, no, he said. I was like, and I looked at my roommate and I was like, I'm probab shouldn' my mate's name on here? Yeah? Cut that. Why do you think your followers love your content so much?
Speaker 4: I think that it's a guilty pleasure really, Like, like I said before, people love to hate influencers, So I think it's the influencers. They seem like normal people, like they're relatable, but people get a bit jealous that they seemingly do no work and yet seemingly get a very high income, and that really upsets people.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you do you believe that influencers do no work or is.
Speaker 4: That definitely not?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know that it's a marketing thing, like they work in marketing essentially, work in sales, work in market Absolutely.
Speaker 3: What type of posts would you put up that get the most love from your followers?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I definitely still think relationships they're always the most popular, and then there's certain people, like the bigger influencers, Like people love Tammy Hembro content and they love Anna Paul, so adas Paul's sister Anna. Yeah, I was.
Speaker 3: Gonna say, is there a relation there because your last name is Paul.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, I've never actually told this story online, but my surname is not actually Paul. That's just like my stage name. Well, to play on words, because Anna Paul is a huge influencer, and so I made my name aber Paul.
Speaker 2: Like how you make it like a poor name or something.
Speaker 4: No, but it's more that, like, because I do have children, I didn't want people knowing the surname of my children. And also my husband's name is Paul. That's where I get the Paul from.
Speaker 2: Oh that's awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how does your husband feel about this?
Speaker 3: Because obviously, I mean, I feel like women are very much into kind of like following influences stuff, but I feel like guys don't really get it as much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he doesn't get it at all. Sometimes, very rarely, I'll share with him a post that's been really popular and he'll be like, I just don't get it. Do people actually care about that? Why?
Speaker 2: A lot of my A lot of my mates don't even follow influences then, and me be the closest thing that they have to actual influencer following, Like they don't they wouldn't follow a single influence.
Speaker 1: I'm sure they follow some like hot girls.
Speaker 4: Maybe yeah, but probably not to buy, Yeah, some products.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I know what you mean, Like it's not like a thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not a thing. Yeah, they're not really waiting for the next goss about them.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, there's definitely a target market. And I find that most of my followers are between twenty five and thirty five and female.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just looking at their Instagram analytics.
Speaker 1: Similar to us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 3: Do you ever worry that you are contributing to like online bullying or trolling? I know personally for me, I was once posted on celebrity spell check for breaking lockdown with your ex.
Speaker 1: I literally did not sleep for three nights.
Speaker 3: I had to take sleeping tablets because I was like so anxious. Everyone was blowing me up saying I'm a terrible person. I was like, I live alone, I'm like so like stressed out about all of this, and like no one really seemed to care. It was like you're evil, go die like.
Speaker 2: It was more full and that's the culture that's built around that Instagram, and that.
Speaker 1: Is the culture.
Speaker 3: So do you worry that you are contributing to that type of like stress on people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I definitely do worry about it, and I know that, like the comment section of my posts is something that I'm still not really sure what I need to do with it going forward. So you mentioned before how I'm taking a bit of a step back. So part of that is, well, the legal letter is partly what triggered it, but also yeah, not knowing what to do with the comment section because I find like some posts I'll get six hundred comments and it's not something that I can moderate myself, like it's just way too much. Like I need to spend more time making more content. And yeah, I do worry that influencers will read the comments. A lot of influencers have blocked me, which is probably for that reason. But yeah, like I don't want to contribute to bullying, but I definitely assume I do, which I don't like that.
Speaker 2: There's settings, isn't there on Instagram where you can filter out certain words and it hides them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and to be honest, like, we kind of understand where you're coming from because.
Speaker 1: We had a video.
Speaker 3: We had Harry Jowsey on our podcast and we had a video up of him and that went very viral for all of the wrong reasons. There was like thousands of comments, and I was we we didn't.
Speaker 2: Do We both started deleting something.
Speaker 3: We started deleting comments, both of us at once, and then we ended up switching off the comments. And it's just like it is and yeah, and people do get so low and disgusting, and it's it's scary because I can only imagine being a person who's reading like that amount of hate.
Speaker 4: And especially like you said, you were receiving threats and you were living alone, Like that's really scary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, something Well.
Speaker 2: I had both of them blowing my phone off, you and Kira blowing my phone off about it.
Speaker 4: Was it your fault?
Speaker 2: Mat, Oh, my fault.
Speaker 3: If you guys had just stayed together, she wouldn't have come to my house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, into that line.
Speaker 3: I actually did see you posted something about Math's X the other.
Speaker 4: Day, yes, yeah, just basically that she was rude to somebody in a cafe. Yea, yeah, yeah, but again, that story was unverified, but I posted her name knowing that it's not really defamatory, like saying that she was rude to someone in a cafe. That's not going to lose her work or anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Kira is a very hot topic on the page. Actually, people are very interesting ask more.
Speaker 2: Questions about that. Sorry, in what way is she hot topic? Oh?
Speaker 4: Just that she's always drama surrounding her. I suppose that's why normal people and they're held to a standard higher than what you would hold any of your friends or yourself. Yeah, and yeah, it's just not I guess it's not going to.
Speaker 2: Work some of the stuff. But like some of the slip ups, like you're saying before, weren't strapped into like a chair, a baby chair properly. Like as long as they were strapped in, I don't see the problem. Like, no, people are just so savage on this sort of stuff.
Speaker 3: Do you know what scares me about having children is all of like the people online who come from mums. I just think it's like horrific. I think that's like a whole different level. Because if someone's coming for you, that's one thing.
Speaker 1: But when people are.
Speaker 3: Well, they're coming out like they're judging like every single thing you do. Like I remember some I think it was like Chloe Zepp was getting in trouble online because she kissed her baby on the lips. Apparently that's really bad and blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the people that are saying that, I'm sure they do it themselves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's like the who's got the who gets the worst hate?
Speaker 1: From what you've seen?
Speaker 4: I can definitely think of two stories recently. They're not mum shaming, but they were a bit like cancel culture stories.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So Sophia beg So for dofa, she's a Melbourne girl, but she now lives in Sydney. I think so recently, she dressed up as a Stingray for a fancy dress party and her friend was going as Steve Irwin as like a duo costume, and she posted on TikTok and the internet blew up about that, saying that it's extremely insensitive. And she was two at the time that Steve was killed, so she wasn't really around cracky. Yes, the Internet was very quick to call her out on that, and she did apologize, and that one blew over pretty quickly.
Speaker 2: Go to like a like an inappropriate party or something. You people have those parties.
Speaker 4: Well, she didn't mention that it was that, but maybe it was that would make a lot of sense.
Speaker 3: Actually, then, yeah, I didn't even think about that because I did see that and I was like, that's not okay. But yeah, as you said, if she's two at the time, she probably laugh about it.
Speaker 2: Though everyone knows that you don't go for Steve Irwin from that. He's like a legend of Australia.
Speaker 1: Sure, what's the other one that you.
Speaker 3: Were going to?
Speaker 4: Well, in contrast to that, like people forgave Sofa dofa very quickly. But in contrast to that, Emma Clair she recently launched a new podcast called Simply Chaotic, and she only had a baby a few weeks ago, and the launch of the podcast tied in with the birth of her baby. It was around the same time and on her debut episode, she admitted to having killed two cats as a child and her co hosts were laughing about it, which, yeah, it was pretty horrendous, and the feedback to her was, you know, that's not okay, And instead of removing the episode or apologizing, she doubled down on it and said, you know, people need to lighten up, and that she's sorry, not sorry, and yeah, so then pretty quickly brand started dropping her from their partnerships, and then she issued a formal apology, which was pretty irrelevant at that point because she had originally doubled down on it. And since then, yeah, she's expressed that she's pretty upset that the brands did that and that they were considered friends to her, and yeah, she's sort of she's still saying that the story was twisted as well, so yeah, people aren't really forgiving her for that one.
Speaker 2: For more contexts, did she say how she killed these cats?
Speaker 4: She said that one was when she was nine and she swung it around and it died of fright. And one of them was when she was about seventeen and it was her best friend's cat and she accidentally hit it in her car. That is full on, full on.
Speaker 3: I can't believe that people would be laughing about that in the podcast.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they luckily got away with it, pretty scott free the co hosts, but emmaclair has although her following has increased, I think people want to see the drama, but in terms of her jobs, it seems to have been canceled.
Speaker 3: How do you think the best like, what's the best way for an influencer to deal with a scandal?
Speaker 1: Would you say?
Speaker 4: Yes, I was thinking about this recently because there's been quite a few scandals going on, even I like DJ Tiger Lily. I don't know if you saw she didn't add for Peter and it referenced the First Nations people and having the babies taken from their mothers. Yes, I think that the best thing to do is take a bit of time, Like, don't react immediately, because that's a bit of a problem. Like people react immediately and they don't say what they should be saying. If that makes sense because they haven't had time. Yeah, exactly, so I think that they need to take a bit of time, take in all of the feedback, and then yeah, like maybe make a donation to a relevant charity. That's a really popular thing people have been saying that they should be doing, and genuinely say sorry and mean it. Yeah, don't say sorry I offended, You say like sorry I did something wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's I think that's the key things.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: So, you think the influencers, if they kind of handle the situation right, they can make amends, they apologize for their behavior, then they can still continue kind of.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, Yeah, there's more news tomorrow that will overshadow today's scandal.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's it. Yeah, that's literally like her thing was in it for like a hot minute and then she deleted her Instagram and she's back now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that's a good example of what you should do. So she took time, and yeah, everyone feels that she is sorry for what she did. Yeah, breaking the lockdown, that's what she did.
Speaker 3: Is there certain people who you kind of stay away from reporting on because I have noticed that there are like maybe some kind of like hot topics and maybe you won't report on it. Is there like a line where you're like, I'm not going to report on ABCD.
Speaker 4: There's definitely like photos that I won't post. Like recently, Ruby Tuesday Matthews, she had her son in a photo shoot and his pants were slung extremely low and a lot of people said that the photo was sexualizing her five year old. So like, I wanted to report on this, but I didn't want to show the photo and only like encourage or encourage spreading this image. Also Denny styled by Denny I'm not sure if it's her name. He has been expressing a lot of mental health issues recently, and people are constantly asking me for updates with him. But I don't want to be the final straw, Like I can see that he's in a bad place and I don't want to po something and then he gets a comment from that, and then you know that really upsets him.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's kind of case by case. But a lot of people tell me that I'm a suck up to influencers. Really yeah, well.
Speaker 2: I was thinking that you've built such a brand for yourself, you're almost an influencer yourself. Now I would say, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, if you were such a suck up, you wouldn't be you wouldn't have so many blocks from influence.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I get really upset when they block me, like Martha Khalipatitis from that she blocked me the other day and she's one of my favorite influencers, so it's really sad. Well, when you block somebody, it blocks any other accounts that they make, So I have to go on my husband's Instagram, which it's a bit desperate.
Speaker 1: Honestly, your husband's account cannot get out.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, And I've given his name away today. That's yeah, that's a problem. But yeah, I suppose that's the content that I don't like to post, and no I don't. I don't really see myself as an influencer. But maybe that's because I don't do paid content. But I do have a paid membership that I do where people can pay like twenty dollars and they sign up and then they get access to extra stories for twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did see that, and I was very tempted to join.
Speaker 4: I'll add you.
Speaker 2: So what what sort of stories would you add in there then that you don't put on your normal thing? Yea, nor feed.
Speaker 4: I suppose it's more casual sort of stuff, like when I post something to the grid, it's because I know it's going to be a big story, whereas, yeah, the stories are more like casual sort of posts, like, oh, what's an example of something I posted today? Oh? Yeah, like fashion week outfits? So like I posted a few of the Sydney Fashion Week outfits to stories, whereas I probably wouldn't do a grid post about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah fair enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So linking bio to.
Speaker 4: Get that, yeah, blinking by to get that and that's all I'm posting on at the moment because that break that I'm taking. It's just that I was getting hundreds of dms per day, especially when I was posting big stories, and it honestly just takes hours, Like I need to reply to everybody because that's how I get the majority of my content is three dms, so I have to open it to see if it's more content, and then it's just taking way too long. And yeah, as I said, I've got two children, so I've really just got to step back a bit and decide where I want to focus my time, and the paid membership is where I want to focus it at the moment.
Speaker 1: Would you ever think of having a podcast?
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely. There is a really great podcast outspoken. It's Cood and it's by three girls, Triplets, and they cover a lot of the same content as me, and I was actually on their podcast recently for an interview and that's my favorite podcast. Sorry guys, that's.
Speaker 2: What you do and that's yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: They did a huge piece on Sarah's Day. What do you think of that? Because I thought that was quite shocking. When I saw the video, I was like, oh my god, it's like very like in your face, like flond Like it felt like a takedown. It was so Sarah's day. She was like she is, would you say is a huge influencer? Yeah, definitely, And they kind of did like this. I don't know, maybe it was just the video, but it was very.
Speaker 4: Like I think it was just the snippet. They had like very dramatic music over the top, like it was a bit click baby, but.
Speaker 1: It was very clickbaby.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and like even Sarah's husband, Kurt, he did respond to it on TikTok and said, yeah, okay, this is weird, like you'll be hearing from our lawyers, which I don't believe they ever did, because they didn't actually say anything tofametry. Of course, they are journalists, like they've been to union everything and used to work for Channel seven H. But I think think that, yeah, the snippet made it seem a lot more negative than what it was. It was actually like more of a biography about her life, like the positive and the negative things.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they call it a deep dive series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, deep dive on influencers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they picked particular ones and go through their scandals and yeah, just how they became famous.
Speaker 3: Really do you think that people do hold influencers Obviously we've we said that people hold influencers to a high standard and we love to hate them. Do you think the standard is too high and can it ever change?
Speaker 4: Yeah? It probably is a bit high. But then I suppose we don't want influencers promoting like illegal sort of things. Like there's been a lot of influencers that get canceled or get I guess some scrutinized for their illegal drug use like that happens quite a lot. And also a really big one lately is their use of solariums and even just sun tanning, like that's becoming very scrutinized because obviously the link to skin cancer. People don't like lines off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I even feel like I'm judging people with tan lines. I'm like, get out of the sun.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I saw someone today and I was like geez, I was like, I wouldn't. Yeah, it's pretty full. Launch had full ten lines.
Speaker 1: We like with fake ten. Here where's your head out?
Speaker 4: For?
Speaker 1: All about that photo?
Speaker 2: And I don't remember last time I laid in the sun or was in the sun to be fair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we like literally hate the sun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean maybe it's an age thing as well, Like it's probably the younger influences that are still into the selarios, but they're so.
Speaker 2: And they've got to remember that they're posting their stuff to younger audience as well. So my eighteen year old sister still goes in the sun and I'm like, you don't like, don't like it becomes my age you realize not to go into the sun and.
Speaker 4: All I know. And when you're that age, you listen to older people say that and you're like, oh, you're such a loser. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So where does responsibility of the influencers kind of start and end?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 4: Would you say, I suppose it also depends on their audience, Like yeah, if it is a predominantly younger audience, they probably have a lot more responsibility. And there's also been a lot of scrutiny recently about exploitation of children. So like there's a lot of family blogging channels like Sarah's Day and she features her children in that very heavily, and yeah, it's like where does the responsibility start and end? They're like, should she be showing her children at all? Or are they are they considered to be working children? Like it's a tricky topic because there's no legalities around it at the moment.
Speaker 1: What's your opinion, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Like, like I said, I even have a fake surname because I don't want people knowing my child's surname. Whereas with these big influences, we know their full name, their full date of birth, what schools they go to, where they go on the weekends, like where their holiday houses are. It's pretty scary how much we do who know about these children?
Speaker 2: Do people say something like, well, the children has no choice whether they get posted or not.
Speaker 1: A child, Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Have no choice. You're sort of just posting it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ex touf one.
Speaker 3: I've thought about it so much, just thinking like like what is the right thing to do?
Speaker 2: I guess so like you could when you have to sign release forms in that you get your parent too if you're underage.
Speaker 4: But then.
Speaker 3: It's like a personal account though, right, So it's like it's so tricky.
Speaker 4: But is it a personal account when you've got one point two million followers?
Speaker 1: Maybe not.
Speaker 2: It's quite public.
Speaker 3: I mean in your mind you would still think of it as your personal account, yes, yeah, because you think of your followers as your friends. Almost, So it's like, like what is the mindset behind it? Like, yeah, you don't want to be like putting your kids to work like little puppets, like okay and go, but you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean?
Speaker 4: And like that has come out before, Like there's been behind the scenes videos where people literally are saying that to their children.
Speaker 3: Really.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it is all just part of the brand.
Speaker 3: Who's the mummy influencer Indy Clinton? Her kids are very much a part of her socials.
Speaker 1: What do you think about that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I suppose her children, Navy and Bambi. I know all the names of the children. That's what I'm saying. Everybody knows these things. Yeah, Navy is a very energetic I think he's about two. He's a very energetic two year old. And yeah, she receives a lot of interesting comments based on his behavior and her parenting of that behavior. But I don't know, Like, yeah, it's very entertaining, that's for sure. Like people watch her channel because they like to see her children and they like to see the way she parents. And yeah, I don't know where would these people be if they didn't show their children on social media.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just don't get it. I would never comment on the way someone parents or something. It's just something that you just don't. Isn't that something you just.
Speaker 3: Don't We're not parents, so like but yeah, I mean, like just focus on your own but you're parent, do you do you find yourself more judgmental of seeing other people parent because you don't.
Speaker 4: But also I've never received judgment But I think that's because I'm not being watched by one point two million people, like I keep saying one point too, except how many followers Sarah's Day has, right, But yes, I suppose it's it's a numbers thing, Like when these people have so many followers, there's going to be those few people, and it's always the negative people that are the loudest. So when someone's criticizing you, if a hundred people compliment you and one criticizes you, that's the one you notice.
Speaker 1: So absolutely, Yeah.
Speaker 4: So maybe there's not really that many people judging their parenting, but it's just that that's what stands out to them and what triggers them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we mentioned before how Astralia love to jump on the hate of influencers and reality TV people. Do you think there's a bit of like tall Poppy syndrome about it.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, definitely. Like I said, the tall Poppy syndrome is that people are jealous that these people seemingly do nothing for a lot of money, like when they're posting that they're whining and dining every day and wearing a different outfit and then they're getting paid for it, whereas with the cost of living crisis, like people are out here working minimum wage jobs and struggling to pay the mortgage, and they think that the easiest way to deal with that jealousy is to tear down an influencer rather than looking at how they can improve their own life.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's kind of like when someone has a bad day and you're on the road and they're like road raging everyone.
Speaker 1: You're like, what have I done wrong?
Speaker 2: So, yeah, that's a good way of putting it. So they're literally coming home and they're angry at their situation, so they take it out. But then again, like we don't understand the effort that goes into that sort of stuff, like with influencers, and like the thought of about it and what they have to do and the actual work that goes into that sort of stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely, I.
Speaker 2: Personally am so grateful for like the opportunities I get with that sort of stuff as well. So they don't realize that either.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I'm sure you too would know that, like taking a photo is not as simple as taking a photo when you're marketing a product. It's not like you just yeah exactly, Yeah, all the back and forth admin behind the scenes as well.
Speaker 2: And absolutely I do laugh at the ones when they get people though. This is something that makes me laugh when they copy and paste the accepted caption and because I've been so close to it so many times, yeah, so many times. Yeah, fu, you got to get rid of that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you think some influencers are a bit out of touch with reality because they do get big kind of lump sums.
Speaker 4: Definitely, and especially when it does come to promoting a product, like they all say, you know, I only promote what I love and what I genuinely use. But I mean, if I was getting a seven hundred dollars dice and air wrap for free, of course I'm going to love it. Whereas like if you're paying seven hundred dollars for that and that's like a week's pay, You're going to be much more critical of that product.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that a lot of influencers should promote what they feel comfortable promote what they actually do. Say to you is absolutely yeah, I think that should be something.
Speaker 3: But I've said yes to collaborations before and I didn't like the product and then I said.
Speaker 2: No, Yeah, I've turned down yes as well. Yeah that's not me. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. What's the future of influencer updates?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I'm not really sure. Like I said, I'm trying to think about now what's the future of influencer updates? But I noticed that, like Instagram, they brought in a subscription model a few months ago. They were trialing it in Australia and that's now launched here. But they've also just recently announced it. There's a whole heap of rules of regarding the subscription, like you can't post certain content behind the paywall, like you can't do giveaways things like that. So I don't know. I think that I'm going to keep going with the close Friends membership for now, where people they just pay on PayPal. But yeah, I would like to do some sort of subscription in the future, but I just don't want to move away from Instagram, Like I don't want to go to Patreon or anything like that. I just want to stick with Instagram, so hopefully a subscription, but yeah, we'll just see what happens. Maybe employees that can help me post more content and moderate the comments.
Speaker 3: Is there a lot of cheating kind of messages that you get, like of influencers or like partners cheating and then they'll send it to you to kind of be like, I'll send it to Amber and the hopes that she kind of gets.
Speaker 1: It out there.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Definitely. Pretty much every influencer relationship. I get sent, Oh, this person's cheating on this person, and I'm like, where's the proof, And they're like, oh, my friend's friends, cousin they told me. I'm like, yeah, okay, not.
Speaker 2: Posally sent actual proof like messages or anything like that.
Speaker 4: I've never received that seen from any of my boyfriends. Absolutely not. Michael is not cheating on you.
Speaker 2: When you said every influencer, I'm not surprised by that at all, are you? No? I like, yeah, I've.
Speaker 3: Definitely seen people out and thought if someone takes a photo of you right now, this is a very compromising position, and I can only imagine that you would be the person who people are like, let's send it straight to influence her updates.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that has happened her husband. Yeah, I was told that he was in a very compromising position with women on a night out or something. But I think that people forget that influencers are generally quite charismatic, Like they've got the confidence to talk to people. They're very social people. They're surrounded by people that you want to get to know them, and that doesn't mean that they're cheating just because they're being nice to people.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you did get proof that someone's claims were confirmed, would you report on it?
Speaker 4: Oh? Probably?
Speaker 2: Would Would you tell the person first before you reported, or would you just report straight away?
Speaker 4: I wouldn't tell them first, But yeah, I don't know. It's a tricky one. Yeah, I definitely want.
Speaker 2: Updates. You're like, hang on, what's this? I don't know.
Speaker 4: I feel like I always feel like influencers don't actually view my content, Like I forget, like there's sixty thousand followers, I forget. I feel like I'm just posting to like my friends, Like what you were saying before, I know about how they forget that their children are being exposed to all these people.
Speaker 2: You do see what you're tagged in and everything like that.
Speaker 3: I think that I'm going to say that everything you've ever posted about anyone, they've seen it. Yeah, and they've probably read every single comment or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've seen it on their burner account. It's being sent to them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, even if they've blocked you, I feel like they're still seen get sent to them, sent to.
Speaker 4: Be conscious of. Even like tonight, Matte, when you were messaging the link for the zoom chat, I was like reading our past history. I'm like, you mentioned Matt in your story. You mentioned in the story they.
Speaker 2: See that, but I didn't see what they were because they abvious see what You've still seen them. You do see it. It comes up.
Speaker 3: So do you worry that you're going to develop anxiety from this high kind of anxious type of role that you're in.
Speaker 4: I haven't worried about it at all so far, but now I'm worried.
Speaker 2: So stealing anxiety to She's like, no one gets away without it.
Speaker 3: It's just it's only because sometimes like certain things do trigger anxiety and that and I are like we are like hyper anxiety sufferers. So I think I'm always like worried about people's anxiety, which is why my question to you before was like, how's your anxiety?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I think that I've got to like because people often ask about my age being thirty four, and they're like, you know, why do you even care about influences? But I think that my age is important because I need to have like a certain strength I guess to be able to report this stuff and not take on the hate and not get anxious about it. But yeah, maybe Anna, you're projecting your anxiety. I think it's working.
Speaker 1: I'm going to take it all back. I'm not trying to project.
Speaker 2: Why don't we go the other way around? How Ambler gives you like the chill with no anxiety.
Speaker 4: The way my advice there is that if somebody has a problem with you, it is their problem, not yours.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: I agree with that.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 3: Well. That's an amazing note to finish on Ambler. Thank you so much for this interview. It's been really interesting chatting with you, finding out what you do, and we will keep watching and getting our info from influencer updates.
Speaker 4: Sounds good and I'll add you to close friends. Thanks to talk Scene