Speaker 1: I get a team. It's the bloody the project that you. I've been off. Well, you've had consistent podcasts because I recorded about four and Monday last week. But I've had a few days away from the mic. I feel refreshed. Life is good. I was just saying the young Robert, my fatigue, whatever the fuck that was, seems to have disappeared. And my brain's working, and my mind's working, my body seems to be complying. Things are good. How's all your stuff working over there, Robert?
Speaker 2: Oh, things are in massive locks. A lot of things going on. As we were talking before you hit the record button. I am not I'm doing a lot of podcasts. I'm just not posting them. I'm actually taking my podcast season or Craig.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, well, good for you. How's your how's your energy? How's your brain? How are all those bits and pieces that kind of are required for your work? How are they functioning?
Speaker 2: I have not slapped a lek in two days. Like well, I think there's three brain cells in my brain that are working, and only two at a time because one naps while the other two take over. But yeah, it's been rough. So last night the cats were fighting all night, just just just knocking over tables. I was like, what is going on?
Speaker 1: Does How does somebody at your level, who has your level of responsibility in your job and is as smart as you not get any sleep? Can you not? Can you not find a solution to the cats? I can think of one, but it's probably inhumane. But other than that, can you not find a solution?
Speaker 2: Yeah? The first part of that solution is fuck off those those are my cats.
Speaker 1: Second, now, I was just gonna buy them little muzzles then type up their type up their feet at ten pm.
Speaker 2: Now it's it's the little one. I mean, he's getting to an age now where he's being a bit more rambunctious. So he'll just like put his paw on the old ones had when you sleep and just keep like antagonizing them like playfully, and just the older ones just like that's it. I've had about enough of this. But I don't know. I was not the one who was rolling around fighting all last night, so but you s.
Speaker 1: Up at the consequences. Hey, I want to talk to you today about something that I think about quite a bit. I don't know that we've ever spoken about it. I don't know what the I probably should have done a deep psychological kind of review of all of this, but I haven't. I'm just freestyling and ad livings and craigifying as we go. But I call it destination disappointment. That's not a real term. Well it is a real term in that I use it, but it's not a psychological construct or anything. Everybody, I'm sure there is a name for it, But so my definition is, you know, when you get where you wanted to go, you know, either literally, but more metaphorically or financially or professionally, or physically or relationally, you get to where you want to go. In other words, you reached your goal. You got to the top of the metaphoric mountain or the metaphoric peak on the way up the mountain, and you're not happy, you're not content. In fact, you got there, you achieved the thing, you lost, the weight, you got the raise, you built, the business, you got the qualification, you got the partner, and even though you set out to get the thing that you wanted to do or wanted to achieve, you're still not happy. You're still not and you had associated the achievement of that thing with happiness or at the very least contentment or joy or And it seems to be really common that even people that I've worked with where they've got of you know, the start of our relationship as client coach, what do you want to do? But you create change? Why are you here? What's the thing? Like? What's what lights you up? I just want to you know, I want to play sport at that level, or I want to lose that weight, or I want to build a business, or I want to have an online this, or I want to go I want to start a charity or whatever it is. And then over time, thanks to them, not me, but me coaching from the sidelines and them doing all the work, they get there or they get thereabouts, And very often is the emotional or psychological consequence of that long term happiness contentment or I've got a few theories. But before I do, what do you think that's about? Why do we find even when we get where we wanted to go? I mean, how many people do you'll shut up up to this? How many people of you and I met over the years who and I know this is very shallow, but that's the way the world works. A lot from the outside looking in you go, oh my god, you're so successful, or you're beautiful, or you're handsome, or you've got the best body, or you've got the best partner or and you know, in the middle of all of that achievement and success or beauty or wealth, they're probably less happier than the average.
Speaker 2: Well. I think that's what we're conditioned to believe. I've always been very suspicious. I think it's an absolute scam. I don't think that, and this just personally, I'll dive into this. I don't think having something or achieving something is where the reward is. And maybe it's cool for a couple of days, it's always in the pursuit. So look at it from an anecdotal level. Right now, if you're listening to this, ask yourself, what's the time in your life where you have a strong sense of nostalgia and memories, where you and your partner talk about, oh, remember when we were in this phase we were doing this, or your business partner could make oh remember when the business was first getting started. Odds are it's when you were on your way to somewhere. I had been living in a one bedroom flat and just couldn't really afford to fully furniture it. But you'll look back on that with nostalgia because you were building something, you were growing. So I think all of us have had that experience. Or it was something that involved learning, growth, deep alignment with something that was meaningful to you or the people you were with, maybe all the above, but it wasn't like, oh, it's about me getting that corner office. Because if it's about that corner office, the second you have that corner office, it no longer motivates, it no longer satisfies. Look at it from a psychological perspective, right that when you take a look at our you and needs, the second you achieve a need you fulfill it, another need pops up and you want to pursue that. So you could take a look at it from a neurobiological perspective, Are we really wired for having or are we wired for pursuing? Look at our whole dopamine ergic pathways. It's not about pleasure, it's not about getting the thing. It's literally about pursuing the thing. It's about the hunt. It's about constantly learning, it's about constantly growing. And it's like, I don't think this is true for absolutely everybody in all circumstances. But I think it's either that if we're looking at it from a goal achievement, it's the process of being on the way to achieving your goal, not when you arrive and you look at all of the points of pleasure that we can identify along the way. That almost like being strung together by a common thread. That common thread is experiences. It's stopping it, it's appreciating, it's being with all serotonin driven things.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I love it. I'm just thinking like another kind of this sounds funny, but it's an adjoining topic, right, or it's in the same suburb is when people retire. So many people are so excited to stop work, and then they stop work and they get depressed, like within a short period of time, quite often six months, and their physical health declines, their mental health declines, you know, they they lose drive, they don't have a they do, but they don't feel like they have a purpose now, they don't have a focus. Now, like you said, they're not learning, they're not growing, they don't have the same level of connection. And it's so funny about how many of us complain about work. Ah fuck, can't wait for the big six' five to come up SO i can or whatever the age is wherever people. Live and then we get there and you, go, oh day one of the couch and gulf two times a week and you, know WHATEVER i want to, do and then that just quite often turns into a fucking slippery slope to. Nowhere.
Speaker 2: GREAT i, mean you take a look at the rise of. Burnout it's. Alarming everybody's talking about, it and burnout has a dynamic complexity to. It, so, yes workload does. Matter people do burnout because they are in fact overworked and they're working beyond the point where they're performing at an optimum or even somewhat optimum. Level but so much of that plays into not just the, workload but the meaning or lack thereof the social, isolation the lack of cultivation of relationships at, work pursuing something. Together SO i think a lot of people struggle with that earlier on. Now BUT i can totally say, that especially if you identify with your career your, job like somebody asks, you, oh so you know who are you and you give them your profession as if that's the entirety of who you. Are but for a lot of, people, yeah that's what we're connected. To so if you, know if my whole identity is tied up in this thing THAT i did AND i no longer do, it, wow who AM?
Speaker 1: I who AM? I? AM i?
Speaker 2: Contributing what is my? Worth what's my value to? Others that's a. Crisis, yeah.
Speaker 1: Definitely AND i get my sense of self and self worth and self esteem from doing these. Things every DAY i show, Up i'm, Needed i'm. Needed When i'm fucking, Retired i'm. Not it's context dependent and individual, dependent of, course but so many people THAT i know just feel like they're lost because they're now not important to, Anyone they're not part of, anything they don't really have a focused they don't and so little, things you, KNOW i don't want to strow anyone under the bus THAT i, know but you, know, small in fact non exist. Problems you, know maybe a half out of ten problem becomes a, five becomes an, eight becomes a, nine and then that leads into other. Problems and it's just, yeah because we have so little too perhaps invest our energy in and practical, things getting stuff, done ticking. Boxes not that life's all about, that of, course BUT i think life is more about that stuff than we, think LIKE i, think we think that like work is almost a, Problem WHEREAS i think depending on the, work of, course that for me works a blessing BECAUSE i associate it with so, like right, now you And i'm. Working this is a commercial, podcast we have. Sponsors like this feels genuinely to me nothing like. Work it feels like a social. Experience and that's the way THAT i come into. It, Right it's an, encounter it's catching up with a. Friend it's mentally and emotionally. Good it's good for my brain because we're, thinking we're opening, doors we're trying to perhaps answer a few questions or or PEPs understand a few. Concepts but, yeah if you can have work that is, meaningful THEN i don't know that getting out of that in a hurry is necessarily going to be a better.
Speaker 2: Life, well if you take a look At gallop and their research across the, globe seventy nine percent of people are disengaged in their. Job so there's this massive divide between WHAT i love and WHAT i, Do and there's this whole thought, process and we've heard it a thousand. Times, WELL i go to work every day and do WHAT i have to. Do so then on my own free, TIME i get to do WHAT i love to, do and there's no shame in. That that is an honorable thing to. Do but think about how much different life would be if not all the. TIME i, MEAN i don't know anybody who, well now that's not. TRUE i know a lot of people who geek out on, spreadsheets but not every aspect of your job you're absolutely gonna. Love but if the bones of, it it's the essence of your job reflected something that you deeply care, about and you not only care about it from the meaning that it, represents but from the emotion that it evokes you enjoy, it it's.
Speaker 1: A completely different.
Speaker 2: WORLD i, mean you don't know where you end and your work, begins so your vocation is a. VACATION i think that's a different level of, existence AND i think that's why so many people are. DISENGAGED i know that WHEN covid, HIT i went through a. Crisis and what's really weird is the first couple of years OF covid and the worst of, IT i was talking to a lot of, people SO i was doing a lot of. WORK i was doing a lot of things THAT i, loved BUT i wasn't doing it in the way THAT i was used to doing. IT i wasn't getting on, plane there wasn't a live. Audience there were all these, little tiny people in these little virtual. Boxes and then after it was, done you just log off and they're. Gone and that's very different than you're presenting an entire day or part of an entire, day and then at the end of, it you know exactly What i'm talking, about you and your, team which very often is not just your, team they're your, mates is sitting around with the, delegates the, participants and you're just going over the day in your. Debriefing so you've just been working at a marathon pace and energy, expenditure and now you're still working and learning from what happened in the, day and you're capturing. It when it's. Fresh you go back to your hotel room and you are, smashed and you wake up the next day it's, like, OH i can't BELIEVE i get to do, this and that becomes your. Identity so you, KNOW i was doing this inside of a vacuum because of THE covid and the, shutdowns and it was brutal on my.
Speaker 1: Psyche, YEAH i remember WHEN covid, STARTED i thought erroneously BECAUSE i didn't really know what the fuck was going, on BUT i, went, well this WILL i don't, know this will be a week or two of mayhem and then they'll figure shit. Out and, no that's WHAT i. THOUGHT i, thought, well.
Speaker 2: That's kind of WHAT i thought as.
Speaker 1: Well that's Why i'm, like they're not going to shut down the, World so let's just let's get through this. Week and then a week or. Two you, know it's like it's, like right, now petrol's becoming about a million dollars a leater In, australia And i'm, like out or sort itself out and it'll be back to normalition a few. Yeah but then part of me is, like, oh this could go on for two. Years it depends on what's going, on Right but, anyway so we're IN covid and after about four, Weeks i'm, like this is not getting better at. All this is getting. Worse and people were reaching out to me and sending me messages and there was just a lot of fear and, anxiety and you, know people dealing with all the stuff we don't, like, unknown, uncertain, uncomfortable, unfamiliar all the uns AS i, Say AND i said To, melissa but those of you don't, Know melissa runs my. LIFE i said To, melissa why DON'T i just do a, Workshop not THAT i can fix, anything but just to hang out with people. Online and you, know if twenty people come or one hundred people, come it's. Free there's no hook catch, agenda there's no we're not trying to sell books or, programs. Nothing none of that's even going to be. Mentioned it's just like me and however many people for ninety. Minutes and so that was my. Intention, anyway within within like twelve, hours she'd created a booking, thing and SO i JUST i put on my, Business, facebook my person Or facebook on My. Instagram i'm doing. THIS i think it was Next. Wednesday it was like five days. AWAY i THINK i called it being The calm and The chaos or something like, that and, said there's no hook catch, agendas it's. Free the only condition is that you have to turn, up like do not take a spot and not. Show AND i go. THIS i, know for a range of, reasons this is not a clever move on my, behalf because giving shit away for, free any business coach would tell you not to do, that et. Cetera there's a million reasons why not to do, it AND i, went fuck, it it's not about.
Speaker 2: Me so we.
Speaker 1: Promoted it that, night the same, DAY i, think and we had over when we could only take one thousand, people and that was because that's the capacity of our, whatever and we had a thousand people booking in sixty. Minutes over a thousand people try to book in And i'm, like fucket you Fuck SO i. Think we did that at seven pm and then by Thirty i'm, like, ah SO i spoke to, them, MILISS i, go what do you think we should? Do there's like a lot of people who want to do, this and we, go we'll do another one the week after and then that'll fix. It then we did. That we launched that the next night and that filed within two, hours and then we did another one and all three filled with over a thousand people and it just made me realize a, one which was, fascinating how many people can plug. In and we did Three wednesdays in a, row and of course a thousand didn't turn, up but it was close to one thousand every. Time, yeah just the need that people have for a focus on something for, connection for something, positive for something, uplifting and everybody had just been thrown into this new model of living which nobody wanted or very few people. Wanted and now you can't go, anywhere especially In, australia you can't go. Anywhere you can't drive more than five. Kilometers if you walk outside in the fresh, air you have to have a mask, on you. KNOW i mean even if you're in Rural victoria and you're walking up a fucking old dusty, road you've got to wear a. Mask and so it was. Turmoil and, YEAH i THINK i got a lot of nice, feedback which was. Good but people just appreciated somebody reaching out so that they weren't in the middle of, nothingness like what's my purpose? NOW i don't? Know some, workers, Connection, yeah all those, things.
Speaker 2: And this IS i think this is What Captain charlie plump mat when he, said never let adversity go to? West like what did we learn as a result of these? Experiences and this is a scary, Question it's a painful, one probably a disappointing. One as a society we become as a result of this.
Speaker 1: EXPERIENCE i think that's. Important and, yeah is it who do we become or how do we? Become like what version of us do we? Be, anyway it doesn't matter what's your answer to that or what's your insight into that. QUESTION i know WHAT i.
Speaker 2: FEEL i don't know how insightful it. Is i'm not really sure how much we did learn BECAUSE i remember in the midst of, it people, were as your story perfectly, illustrates people were very hungry for human. Connection, yeah and proximity, matters, Right we can have this conversation all day, long these. Debates BUT i, mean when you look at the, research being in close proximity with other human beings really does, matter and that's not going to change in the course of a couple of. Years check back in twenty five. Generations maybe so we learned, that we learned that we need each. Other we learned that one of the most fulfilling things and life giving things is that, connection that intersection between you and. Me we learned that we need to have meaning and focus and be going somewhere. Together and then you, know POST, covid we seem to be more focused on self and tribalism and disconnected from one another and discompassionate towards one another and threatened by any type of togetherness that we so desperately thought if it doesn't come in the exact form of everything Else i've experienced Or i'm, expecting how, sad how absolutely. SAD i remember nine to, eleven which is a small microcosm of what's happening in the world right. Now and for about a month, after everybody pulled together and they were just helping. EVERYONE i, mean you had your break, in had your, eluding but it was so it was so minor compared to what you thought it would. Be in complete, chaos especially In Low. Manhattan but here's what you had so much more. Of you had people running into shops grabbing as much stuff off the shelves as they could not for. Themselves wasn't like the toilet tissue wars that we had IN. Covid, YEAH i want to hoard as much for, me and you, know screw. You they were grabbing it for other. People there were no staff at the front, desk and people leaving money on the, counter probably more money than what they were taking was. Worth nobody was touching that. Money they were adding to. It we we had an evacuation that was basically a call for assistance that was larger in scale Than, dunkirk and nobody talks about. That and everybody, responded and in the worst, circumstances you, saw you saw the best to you. Humanity i'm so proud to be A New. Yorker and, then you, KNOW i think a couple of months, later somebody was crossing off the. Light somebody honked at, him and the person turned. Around it's, like, oh fuck. Off it's, like, oh thank, Heavens New york is back. Again we're we're getting back to. Normal so that was a. Relief but we learned these, lessons and then as soon as the crisis is, over very shortly, after we move away from the things that we so desperately. Required it's mind.
Speaker 1: MODELING i, REMEMBER i don't know how true this, is But i've heard it a few. Times a story about the, astronauts well one or two of the astronauts who came back from the moon, landing, right the alleged moon. Landing now everyone's, like, ah that didn't. Happen i'm, LIKE i don't, know but, anyway the story goes that might have Been Neil, armstrong might have been Buzz, older and might have been one of the. Others but the story goes that when they came back from The moon that they were depressed for like two, years because what the fuck do you do after you go to the, Moon, like what could?
Speaker 2: You what?
Speaker 1: Aspiration what aspiration can? You, well you went to the? Moon, cool what's? Next fucking? Nothing there is NOTHING i have to aspire That i'm the first human on another. Planet it's, LIKE i just think about. That in terms of the destination disappointment, IDEA i think there's a couple of. Parts the most important part is what we've been talking, about which is when we're on the, way when we're climbing up the metaphoric, mountain we, have you, know purpose and connection and growth and learning and awareness and we build resilience and all of these good things. Happen but we, ALSO i, think have an expectation that the outcome or the achievement of the, goal the thing that every one can, see will equal the thing that everyone can't, see which is some internal positive, revelation revolution or. Transformation it's LIKE i will be WHEN i DO, X i will BE. Y and then they DO x and they're, Like, Nope i'm still. Insecure, Nope i'm still. Fearful, NO i still worry about how MUCH i. Weigh, NOPE i still feel. Broke i'm still, scared even THOUGH i make more money THAN i. NEED i think That's so there's the. Twofold you. Know there's the first, thing which, is you, know we get, there then now we don't have the focus of you, know it's, like what's my fucking purpose? Now but then there's the other, one which, is, well HERE i, am how come DON'T i how COME i don't feel the WAY i THOUGHT i would feel standing on this metaphoric, mountain.
Speaker 2: You. Know in relation to, that let's go back TO, Covid so JOIN. Covid and there was these, cues like down the street there was a fusion ice cream. Place don't ask me what that, Means i'm not, sure but they take different types of ice cream and they mix it together and it was just absolutely. Brilliant ALL i know is it tasted better than it. Looked so in the neighborhood That amy AND i were living in at the, time we would go there and it wasn't just great that we'd give these giant. Scoops so you have this giant bowl of ice, cream a cup of ice cream that you're walking away with you can't sit. Inside IT'S covid, obviously and we would go back once a week and have this ice. Cream, well they must have got a new manager or, something because when we went, back the scoops were much. Smaller, now mind, you the ice cream was brilliant and there was nothing wrong with the serving, size but it wasn't quite what we, expected so dopamine response. Lower we go back another, time, well same small, serving dopamine response. Lower eventually we're so disappointed we write this place, off even though they were still serving truly amazing ice, cream because it did not match our condition. Expectation imagine having an expectation about climbing that corporate, ladder and this is over a, decade maybe two decades in the. Making you've got this thing in your head about what it's going to, be but you're not thinking about what the journey is going to be, like or why that journey, matters or the milestones along the. Way what you're thinking about is that end. Destination and then you get. There even if it's really, great it's going to suck because it doesn't match what you made it to be in your. Imagination which is WHY i think it's like daily behaviors have to be rooted into something more.
Speaker 1: Meaningful it's almost like the opposite is you know that underpromise over deliver in. Business it's like whatever they thought they were going to get a, seven give them a fucking, fifteen you, know and they're paying for a, seven or they think they're paying for, Seven give them a, fifteen or give them a. Twenty like make them feel like this is the best value and the best, service and you're the best. Person this is the best business because they never had this experience. Before And i've spoken to people about that setting up small, businesses as have. You i'm. Sure but then the challenge is, Cool now you've got to maintain that because week, one of course you're. Excited Of course you're going to kill yourself to be. Amazing Of course you're going to deliver the very best thing you. Can, okay now it's four years down the track and you're fucked your backsaw and you're grumpy and. Whatever it's, like it's, that how DO I how DO i keep doing? That you? Know how DO?
Speaker 2: I i think now you're getting into, culture training and development of your, team Like Rich calton back in its, heyday one of its tenants were meeting even the unexpressed needs of the. Customer so there's a need that the customer. Has they don't explicitly know, it but they kind of feel. It and you're so good at communicating with one another as a team and communicating with the customer you can anticipate that need before they're explicitly aware of, that so you can maintain. That but it does take a lot of, effort and it takes a lot of, training a lot of, development and you can't put you can't put it in first gear for very. Long if you're talking about always exceeding expectations and now that cost you more and more for the same, customer that's just completely not. Sustainable so that's like health club chain back in the day when you AND i agree getting started the whole free session. Thing, well that's not meeting exceeding expectations or under promising over. Deliver that is financially unsustainable as a business. Model SO i think what we're talking about here is what does your culture do that creates that expectation or exceeds that, expectation not what are you giving an addition within the. BUSINESS i think the first one creates more. Loyalty, Anyway, YEAH i think.
Speaker 1: THAT i got frequent back WHEN i Opened harper's back in the. Day not, well the first version was, good but it was a little. Studio THEN i opened up a relatively big studio compared to what else was, around which was. Nothing but it was really good sized. Center and you, know we had most of the time we would have somewhere between five and fifteen trainers on the floor and you know their. Clients AND i can be the first to say, that like at this, STAGE i didn't have a. DEGREE i MEAN i was qualified as a whatever it is for a, trainer AND i HAD i think level one and two strength conditioning, calls BUT i didn't have a. Degree my knowledge was you, know, okay it wasn't. Amazing and that was the same with all my. STAFF i don't know that at that stage anyone even had a. Degree about nineteen the early nineteen, nineties like thirty.
Speaker 2: Years, three as weren't even invented.
Speaker 1: Yet, yeah that's. Right but it was such a fucking fun place to, Be like it, was oh my, god the, fun the, cheekinness the, connection the, laughter the fucker and the inappropriateness when nobody would lose their, shit often from the ladies', training not from the because it was mostly about seventy percent of our clients women and people just loved being. There not every single, person but the. Majority and that's you, know these, DAYS i still meet people who trained there twenty thirty years ago and they're, like oh my, God happas was the best gym ever to train. In it was like, unique it was, fun all the trainers were, Great everybody made an, effort and it wasn't following some fucking. Script it wasn't script, that it wasn't. Generic it was just like every everyone wanted to be there and love to be, there and that, yeah that you could have a five out of ten, product but a twelve out of ten, culture and you're never going out of business because people want to be. There i'm not suggesting a five out of ten, product by the, way BUT i, know back in the, day when we first started figuring out In australia, anyway what the fuck is personal? Training when there wasn't a, Thing there wasn't an, industry there wasn't a, qualification there wasn't a cert there wasn't, insurance there wasn't there was. NOTHING i couldn't go and talk to that other trainer who had more experience than me because that guy didn't exist In australia or that girl so still. Doesn't, yeah, you, well but that's true Because i'm probably the pioneer in some. Ways but, yeah you just, Yeah you're, like, oh, well we'll figure it. Out but if we can make this a place that people want to come. TO i say that to. Bosses do your staff like coming to? Work and they haven't even thought about? THAT i, go that's a that seems like not. IMPORTANT i, go that's maybe the most important. Question do your people like working for? You slash with? You do your people get excited about coming to this place each day and doing what they? Do before we even start to talk about the mechanics of the operating system and the you, know the KPIs and the box, ticking, like just do people like coming? Here because if the answer is, not, really we got way more problems than profit and.
Speaker 2: Loss, okay here's my rant because you just had a nerve with. Me we take a look at people who create irreparable damage across organization after, organization and then we re hire those people at executive OR c suite level positions to do the same shit to our. Organization and it's amazing how absolutely delusional some. PEOPLE i know there's a lot of pieces to running a, business, well but what you just said right there where the whole conversation around, customers, like screw customer. Service what a, complete colossal waste of. Time it's not just a waste of, time it's. Counterproductive and, YEAH i don't. Care i'm probably going to offend some people resonate with. Others but if everything in your organization is about the, customer the, customer the, customer customer, experience customer, experience your customer experience absolutely. Sucks if it's about who are we, hiring what do we do? Here? Why team, member team, member team, member and what is it we want to be known? For what do we want to be the best? At two things. Happen Number, one the job gets a lot. Easier so this is going back to. Burnout putting in more, effort more, excitement more. Enthusiasm you are more energized at the end of a long work day than if you are droning from the time you punch in and dragging yourself to the time you clock. Out that is a miserable. Existence SO i was doing someone many many years, ago AND i can mention both of these companies give them the context of What i'm about to. Say first company was Club. SPORT i was there to present to their. Team why because they were a health culp chain AND i was in the fitness, industry so it made. Sense SO i did. It AND i get there like, early like a few hours, early And i'm in this hotel And i'm just walking around and in my, hotel the outlet or the power point THAT i plugged my phone into wasn't. Working so now my phone is kind of. DEAD i need to make a phone. Call and Like i'm walking, Around i'm asking people for a payphone and they start asking, me like.
Speaker 1: What are you calling?
Speaker 2: Local and they start asking me all these questions And i'm, like, NO i actually need to call my. Office it's not. Local and remember that the whole local calling. Thing this is a long time. Ago So i'm walking down the. Hole As i'm walking down the, hole somebody comes up to me and, says, oh you, KNOW i understand you need to make a phone. Call And i'm, like first TIME i ever saw this. Person the other person had a walkie talking and. Notified so there's this weird guy and he's like walking towards you at an erratic. Pace this is what he's. Wearing he needs to make a phone. Call it's, like, okay you're probably not gonna be able to make a phone call from. There why don't you step into the. Office you can use our company. Phone, amazing right. Wow so then they're, like, oh so what do you you? Know so how long are you staying? HERE i EXPLAINED i was not a guest at that. Hotel weirdly, ENOUGH i was staying in another, hotel BUT i was there to present for their, partner Club. Sport so Club sport was attached to The. Renaissance and THEN i had, Mentioned, God i'm really. Hungry you, KNOW i can get something to eat around, here and they, said, oh you, know unfortunately our kitchen is. Closed but think about this in today's day and, age, LIKE i think we can get it open for you and omelet be, Okay And i'm, like oh my, goodness So i'm going to eat an omelet in this, place and me being me and just the level of energy and jitters before a. SEMINAR i dropped stuff all over my shirt only. SHIRT i can't go back to my. Hotel the person takes my shirt from. ME i had A t, shirt of, COURSE i had a waistcoat and takes my stuff in the back AND i think it was like sparkling water or whatever they do and brings back a wet but completely clean shirt that is going to. Dry and then they asked, me, well do you want us to get that iron. FIE i was, like, no, no, no that's. OKAY i could put the waistcoat over. It and this experience was happening for. ME i wasn't even staying at the. Hotel so FINALLY i couldn't take it. ANYMORE i was, like you know who runs this particular location right and there was THE GM. Ed his name Is Ed. TOMLIN i remember his name decades. LATER i was, like is edit work? Today CAN i please speak To? Ed And ed comes out AND i was, LIKE i gotta talk to. You do you have a couple of, minutes because, like CAN i spend like ten minutes with? You what the hell is going on in this? Place what are you? Doing and all he talked about is hiring, practices what they look for what type of person you absolutely need to be to be on That renaissance hotel staff and what they are aiming to be the best. At because when you're the best in, CLASS i don't care what you. DO i don't care whether you're part of the housekeeping, team the front. DESK i don't care what industry you work. In there is pride. Going this team is. Peerless there is no one like. Us we are first in. Class and here's. Why that's an, engaging bloody. Job and then every time you run into one of these highly, trained highly, engaged highly accountable, people what do you think your experience is going to. Be it's gonna be a bit like. Mine that's something we're.
Speaker 1: Missing, yeah you might want to start a, business now another. ONE i love it when you GET i love it when you get pumped up and. Excited NOW i know you've got a commitment, tonight tonight your, time my. Lunchtime so we'll leave it. There but thank, you as always for your energy and your. INSIGHT i love it when you take a run up and you get on your little pulpit and you start. Preaching it's it's always. Enlightening so the self Help antidote Is bobby's. Podcast do not expect any.
Speaker 2: EPISODES i just want to be, CLEAR i am taking a season. Off i'm going seasonal. Experimentally we will be resuming it In.
Speaker 1: May first Of gidea up and LinkedIn Robert cappuccio and robertcapuccio dot com and new address soon to. Come but more of that.
Speaker 2: Loan, Yeah i'm moving so thanks, Hops thanks, Everyone Thanks, buddy