Speaker 1: Hi, guys, Welcome to Thursday's Girls Guide episode.
Speaker 2: It is just me here today.
Speaker 1: We are trialing something new for our Girls Guides where we dive a little bit more into our separate interests. Obviously, Easy loves books, I love fitness, so we thought we would open our Thursday's episode into talking about our own interests and hobbies. So for the first episode of mine, I thought I would bring on someone who I see quite regularly speak to on a daily basis. I'm making this sound like I'm watching my relationship as everyone thinks online, and I'm in a relationship with him too. It's my trainer, coach, owner of One two Boxing, Josh.
Speaker 2: Hey, Josh, Hey you guys, I'm good. How are you good?
Speaker 3: Thanks?
Speaker 2: It's his first podcast episode.
Speaker 1: And I think if you guys follow me all on socials, you would see that I've taken up boxing in the last what seven months?
Speaker 2: Maybe?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I started in twenty twenty four June July. I was like a bit lost and I wanted to get into something and put my fitness to the test, I guess, and I signed up to a free trial at one two Boxing.
Speaker 2: Well, no, it wasn't a free trial.
Speaker 1: It's at thirty thirty dollars for three class the intro pick yeah. And I went to one two Boxing South Melbourne and Joshua's standing there when I walked in, and I was like, holy fuck this this guy's compet in tattoos. He's so fucking scary and I have no clue what the fuck I'm doing. He like quickly gave me like this cunkintroduction. He was like yeah, and oh, by the way, this class is like I'm really hard, so good luck. I was like, fuck yeattle, yeah, but you did it well, like you're so friendly, So could you explain a little bit more as to what one two is, how you kind of got into boxing and what boxing is for you and like take the mic bape.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So I've been boxing since I'm fifteen. I'm thirty three now. So I've been boxing since i was fifteen. I'm thirty three now. So I was initially boxing with football.
Speaker 3: So I was playing football, my aspirations to play AFL football.
Speaker 4: In my off seasons, I was boxing, and then over the years I just naturally grew my passion for that. And then and as I moved to Melbourne from Adelaide and.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're an Adelaide guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Wow.
Speaker 4: I grew up in Adelaide, moved to Newcastle, New South Wales, was there for like six seven years.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I moved from Newcastle in Melbourne with the football aspirations. But at the same time I had a personal trainer since I was fifteen, so I've always been fascinated about, you know, pushing myself to my limits and just getting the most out of what I could do to influence my AFL football aspirations. And then yeah, pretty much was in Melbourne, started at a boxing gym called Boxing Fit, learned under Mick Hargrave's there and then basically got into boxing.
Speaker 2: Sparring was boxing sparring for the girls, I don't.
Speaker 4: For those who don't know, it's the professional sports side boxing, so it's combat, it's one on one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I started doing that and sort of was moving my way around the ring pretty well and started to realize that maybe this is for me, and naturally, just with my passion for moving into business and personal training and boxing, it just started to tie in really neatly. And then yeah, ended up sort of doing my own thing, moved into boxing pretty heavily. Had a couple of amate fights and then yeah, ended up turning professionals.
Speaker 3: So I've been doing that now for being professional for.
Speaker 4: About eight years. Wow, I haven't had as many fights as I probably could have had because work's always been a priority. Yeah, but it's always been something I've done. So that's my introduction to boxing. Given myself being in a fitness space for such a long time, boxing has always been a platform that I've loved to coach because it's also a workout that everyone loves to do, but the door of entry for that is always so intimidating. Yeah, we basically came up with the idea about creating a really non intimidating boxing environment where people could learn how to do it properly but in a really fun way that gets people stimulated mentally and get them feeling good. And you know, that would delve into a whole, whole big world of one too.
Speaker 3: So that's essentially the world that we created. And yeah, we've we've.
Speaker 4: Put a lot of time and effort into bringing boxing to people who want to do it in the funnest way possible. So yeah, that's been our journey from my boxing and.
Speaker 2: You guys have done that really well.
Speaker 1: Like I think from my experience, I always wanted to get into boxing because I think it is my dad's grown up as a pe teacher, and I've always been focused heavily around like sport and like a very active lifestyle. And I think you look at people that box and you think they're like really cool, and I think that's what I wanted to do at the start. I wanted to look really cool, like I'm like, am I Yeah, I look like a fucking idiot at the start. But it's it's so good because one two also has it's all black, like in your room, it's all black, and you actually can't.
Speaker 2: See anyone when you're doing it.
Speaker 1: So you could be next to a really good professional, like I've been next to Josh when I box, and like you can barely see what he's doing, like he's got his own bag. You've got your own bag, and it's just like you're doing your own thing. So that's I think one of the best things that you guys nailed is that it's a dark room, because like it feels like if it's light, you're fucked.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well the eyes are off you.
Speaker 4: So when you a bag in your own space you basically tune into the screen. You still live as the combinations and the china which delivers the cues, so that with music and the bag swinging, you're sort of in your own little world yess all we wanted to create. Yeah, you know, the biggest stigma around boxing is that like you have to be coordinated or good to start. But the reality is is like if you're looking at a boxing reel and you're seeing someone start boxing and you're like, oh my.
Speaker 3: God, that's so cool. I can't do that. The first thought is I can't do that.
Speaker 4: But what we what we tell people that come into one too, it's like you literally once you turn your shoulders and extend your.
Speaker 3: Arms, you're doing what the person was doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it's just that the only way you're progress in boxing is by simply doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So the most important thing is like take away the barrier of like I'm not good enough to start.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because regardless where.
Speaker 4: You learn, whether it's with another trainer or it's another gym, or it's at one two, you're going to learn from the base up.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the key is just to.
Speaker 4: Literally walk through the doors and start throwing out because that's literally what boxing is all about and having fun. And for us, we created an opportunity where people could come in and not worry about getting things perfect straight away. And you know, our trainers and our team are so supportive of the first time we're coming in because we know how intimidating is walking to a gym and it to take someone, you know, three weeks to three years to finally commit to buying an intro pack and going, I'm going to try it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it's really important for us.
Speaker 4: To always make sure our message is strong about you know, it's for everyone.
Speaker 1: Like Blake over here, our producer, he's actually bothering indrop back and.
Speaker 4: He has to go to a class there you go, I'll have to renew that one get you in after.
Speaker 2: This, But I think it's really good.
Speaker 1: Like I think also another thing that you maybe explain to the girls that like, it's not just yeah, it's physically hard, but I think for me as well, it's actually the mental challenge of like I've.
Speaker 2: Told Josh to fuck off like a lot.
Speaker 1: In boxing because he deals with it like they're combos, so kind of give like the girls a basic explanation of what boxing is like and what you do it one two Yeah, because yeah, you're punching a bag, but like you're.
Speaker 4: Not just like yeah, So that boxing is quite broad with like how it works, but essentially the coordination between your feet right through to your ears and then you've got the bag. So there's multiple air elements that you need to sort of start to understand. But the boxing workout is obviously a physical workout, but mentally it's a big expression of yourself as well. So the biggest thing we talk about at one two is when they come in, is to just to stop and have some fun and be in the moment once you walk into the room. We've tried to create environment where people can come in and forget about their day things they're going through, the breakup they might have just had, or the fight they have their friend or their bosses, struggling at work, or they're not sure they want to do in life. We wanted to create an outlet where they could come in and completely escape that reality, not to blunt it, but just to get themselves present and to get themselves free and just feeling a little more clarity. That's where boxing offers the best workout. It's one of those workouts. I think a lot of people when they leave a class, they don't actually know why they feel so good. There's a couple of elements, but the biggest element to that is they've just simply got themselves so present that the things that they were stuck in their head with have become a little dissolved and they're a lot more present. So that's one of the biggest elements for your first time boxing. At one two, specifically, we'll run you through punches, so we'll get yourself understanding how to do a jab and across all that sort of stuff, and then naturally from there, as you progress through.
Speaker 3: The classes, you build confidence. And boxing is not a fabrication of confidence. It's a time period where you'll gain that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And that's why it is a good thing to feel intimidated and nervous about your first class, because part of that process is getting confident in that journey and.
Speaker 3: By doing it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And that's why it's important don't worry about having to start somewhere, you know, And that's where confidence comes from.
Speaker 3: From our workout and from boxing in general.
Speaker 1: It's literally just about rocking up for the first time. Like guys, I can honestly tell you, I was so humbled when I walked in there the first time, but I was going through a breakup.
Speaker 2: I was going through a really hard time.
Speaker 1: And it's so true because every time I go, like, I have a lot going on in my personal life that I don't speak about, but every time I go to boxing, it's normally towards the end of the week, and there's so many things going on in my head mentally, but you actually mentally cannot think about everything else that's going in your life because you have to be so mentally switched on about like remembering combos, remembering certain things, like if you're doing a one on one session, like you have to follow them around, like you're looking at the screen, Like there are so many things that are going on that you actually cannot think about anything else totally, which is so good because if you go to pilates or something, I think sometimes the movements are really slow and stuff like that, so that you're almost ruminating on all the stuff that you have to think about, but you actually can't think of anything else but that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like it's the.
Speaker 1: One time where I'm like not thinking about my phone. It's that I'm not thinking about what someone said to me, what's going on in my personal life? Because you physical like you fucking can't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fucks it's really hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was you know for me, I can I can share a story from that. It was this was about just under ten years ago.
Speaker 4: About a years ago, I was going through a breakup as well. And I was going through a breakup, I had my own private gym, and all at once I entered a world of anxiety, which I didn't even really know what that was.
Speaker 3: It was so foreign for me, and I became quite anxious.
Speaker 4: I opened my gym when I was twenty one, and I just built all these perceived thoughts of that and long, long, lil process to get myself to quite anxious and almost a few full place.
Speaker 3: And I had this breakup.
Speaker 4: I had, like the council pretty much there any to pull my gym down because of a car parking, a.
Speaker 3: Lady had injured herself.
Speaker 4: There was just like in the whole week, there was about six things and it just took me to a boiling point and I mentally I was and spirit salves.
Speaker 3: I was done. Like I've known who I am for a long time and for that period of my life. I just lost myself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I remember getting back home and I said to my I'm like, Mom, I don't know what's wrong, Like I just I'm not me or something's wrong. And she's like, Josh, just go to Bali for a couple of weeks. She goes, go by yourself, Just spend some time by yourself and and just work through what you need to. And I flew over there and I remember getting on the plane and I was like my phone was just I'm like I couldn't use it, and I'm like wondering what text were coming through, and I was so wired. I remember sitting down and I was waiting for my friend to take me on his boat to go surfing, and I'm like, this is perfect. I'm going to spend some time for myself because I've always given my time to a lot of people. I'm like, this is my opportunity to get myself right. So I get in the boat, we go to the surf and I'm like, I just I need a my phone. I was like wondering what text were coming through, and I was trying to deal with all this other stuff.
Speaker 3: And it wasn't like I was trying to dismiss what I needed to do, but I just lost myself.
Speaker 4: I get out in the surf and I sit down my ma and I said like, let's do ninety minutes.
Speaker 3: You come pick me up.
Speaker 4: I got ten minutes in the water and I was like, dude, I'm like signaling. I'm like, come come pick me up. I just couldn't sit there with myself. And after that, I was like never dealing with that in my life and anxiousness. I was like, nah, this is this is really bad.
Speaker 3: Got to my phone. I felt a bit better.
Speaker 4: And that cycle happened for days, and then after about three days, I went to one of the boxing gym's Bali.
Speaker 3: I've been going there for a long time. It was in coutera real dingy.
Speaker 2: GM cuder full fire gym.
Speaker 4: When I rocked up, there was like snakes running around and my mate Indonesian champion over there.
Speaker 2: Snakes are running yeah, yeah, they have their legs and shit. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I was running around trying to find what was going on and then seeing this guy and this dude, I'm like, he definitely looks like a fighter and it's one of the scariest looking guys.
Speaker 2: Have had you done a fight at that point, I hadn't.
Speaker 4: Oh, I think I had are a manch of fights and anyway, so I've found this gym. A couple of years later, obviously rewind to where I am now in this story.
Speaker 3: I started doing padwork.
Speaker 4: And I was in the moment completely and I didn't know what this whole moment thing was and anxiousness and I'm in the moment, I'm hitting pads and all I could do was folcus on breathing because he was pushing me to my limits. And because I'm love fighting, I'm like trying to sit there and I'm trying to go hard and as you do, you just blow yourself out. Got to the end of the session and I was like, holy moly, I feel amazing. I couldn't figure it out, and I had this moment and it might not come across like a massive moment, but for me, I remember sitting back and I've realized that I was finally living in this fair state and had this anxious but I didn't know how to get myself present, and that was through boxing. And I remember sitting in this moment and I was sitting on the step and I was dripping in sweat and my friend was sitting next to me.
Speaker 3: We weren't speaking, and in that.
Speaker 4: Moment, I truly learned the power of being present, and boxing was a tool to allow me to get myself there. And then after that, I somehow and I just believe in the spiritual lineups of things coming in your life right they as they need.
Speaker 3: I met this life coach, it was a.
Speaker 4: Former BIKI and ended up guiding me through the next chapter of my life around presence, and I learned a lot from that. But boxing was that tool, and from there I have never ever forgotten about that moment about teaching people that when they come in and they're feeling wide and they're feeling anxious, the power of just simply breathing through a combination and just following me in the pads is a great way to get themselves present and get them out of the head.
Speaker 3: And I've learned it.
Speaker 2: You do it really well, Like I'll give your hats off to you. Like I'm probably the.
Speaker 1: Least present person I know, Like I constantly just live up in my hand and I'm constantly thinking about the next thing.
Speaker 2: And Josh always goes just breathe, like just breathe like do that.
Speaker 1: Sh I'm I can't do that, Josh, I'm not doing it, and I guess no, you'll never get it out of me. And I'm like, Josh, I try sometimes in like nighttime, like I'll just try to do it just so I have no one listening to me, because I think I'm scared about like you me laughing.
Speaker 3: No, you gotta have fun. But I'm never laughing at your skills.
Speaker 4: I laugh more at like for me, I'm laughing more at like you're having fun trying to figure that out.
Speaker 2: Yeah you've never tried.
Speaker 1: No, No, you're laughing like with me or like you accidentally like keep me in the face accidentally definitely.
Speaker 4: On purpose because it's a great tool to learn perfect Yes, it's a great thing to get in the moment and fix things. But you're you know, for you And this is like a lot a lot of people get in this mindset.
Speaker 3: Is once you get in the rhythm really well, and then after about.
Speaker 4: Ten minutes, once we start to pick it up, we try and advance, and then when you get two of those advancements wrong, you start getting in your head. And it's almost every session and we spend the next ten to fifteen minutes taking you out of that. And that's that perfectionless mindset of I've got to perfect this and I'm going to get good at it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: In that moment, I'm guiding you to get away from that, yeah, and to learn it.
Speaker 3: And this is a massive.
Speaker 4: Thing about boxing is in a fight, you'll throw maybe three hundred punches over a couple of rounds and maybe land twenty percent of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So if you're taking that mindset into padwork and thinking you've got to nail every combo and every punch, yeah, you're doing the opposite of what boxing is about. It's about teaching you that you don't have to be perfect. Yeah, you don't have to make a mistake and be like it's the end of the world. Learn to make the mistake and just keep rolling. And that's a really important tool. And that's why in classes we never even if you make a mistakes, go again. Yeah, And that's really important.
Speaker 1: That's really true because like I spit the dummy quite a bit, Like I get really frustrated because I am a perfectionist and I do like not getting things wrong, and I do crack the.
Speaker 2: Shit's quite a bit. Because I want to do it right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I think when you say that and you're like, it's not about being perfect. I just pick yourself up and start the combo again, or like play it off and stuff like that, Like it is really true, Like you can't always you I.
Speaker 3: Don't have to. Yeah, you don't have to put that mental pressure.
Speaker 4: And often doing the skill is just about you being in the moment and following the pads, not trying to mentally do the.
Speaker 3: Skill and then doing it. Like, yes, it's two things.
Speaker 4: It's the pressure of like I've got to get this right versus just doing it, and that often is what's getting it right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: One of the key elements to a first time is starting at one too when they come in is we tell them not to worry about perfecting the combinations, just worry about having some fun and just experiencing the room. Because when you're learning boxing for the first time, it's like, oh fuck, there's a screen. Some people come in that even though there's a screen, yeah, and like that's okay, like all the bag swings. You're learning so many elements to coming into a first class. You've got the lights, you've got the music, you've got the trainer telling me to keep my hands up, and I'm just trying to get the combo down.
Speaker 3: It's like that is the first point of just like have some fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is the progression of where you need to go, Like you've got to start somewhere, and that's where confidence get built. You know, confidence gets built over time and rocking up and showing yourself that you can do it.
Speaker 3: And then eventually with the trains progressing.
Speaker 4: You you'll get more skills, you'll learn new tricks, and then from there that's where that confidence goes. Like you could walk into a boxing gym now and feel confident to do some pad work.
Speaker 3: No matter where you.
Speaker 4: Go, you'd get like you would. That's the perfectionist mindset of you going, oh, you know, I've got to I've got to show like what I've been doing. It's like you just got to rock up and just throw your hands away.
Speaker 3: You would, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I think it's because I'm also like used to the people around and I think that that's something that one two has done really well. Is like you definitely have built a community. Like I go to the gym and I know all like I'll see verity and I say how to verity, Like you catch up and you create such like a personal relationship with almost like every single person that walks through that door. So then like I see other girls and you see them at other classes, and you like build a little like everyone's built a community and everyone kind of knows everyone.
Speaker 2: It's not like a.
Speaker 1: Gym where you just like get in and out, like you always make sure you have conversations with all the people that go in, so you do feel valued every time you walk in there. And I think that that's something you guys have done really well, especially because you all.
Speaker 2: Look a little scary nicely like that. It's true like booking some touch no, but like I think like.
Speaker 1: You could be deemed as quite intimidating, would you agree, Like you're not so you're a professional fighter, Like that's like, oh he's going to bash me. Yep, You're not going to bash people. But like I think you do really well. And then breaking that down.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that, Yeah, we you know, boxing's all that respects, like when you do sparring or when you walk into a gym, like especially five gyms, it's knuckles as a sign of respect, and that's something that we encourage both as trainers. So when someone walks in, it's a knuckle on arrival just to say hello and sign of respect and make them feel really cool in that moment and then in class depending on the round and how many people we have to judge this between like how many people in the class and first times and things like that, we always encourage a knuckle to someone nearby and that's just a little smile moment and make someone feel part of it and feel comfortable. That's something we really encourage. Yeah, because yeah, boxing can be intimidating, so we've just got all these little things that we try and do to make people feel comfortable and safe. And often all those things that we do are just things that have been in sport for a long time.
Speaker 1: So then you say that it's like, yeah, okay, you guys give each other a knuckle is the signs of respect. But like then you think about like the tomm if you're in the Jake Poul fight, Like there's so much disrespect there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're selling to make money, so.
Speaker 2: So but then like why is there a difference there?
Speaker 4: Well, because like you've obviously got the sport of boxing where you know, people are out to hurt each other, and that's you know, the combat side of things, plus selling tickets because there's a lot of investment into each fighter and the open venues and that sort of stuff. And then as you know, we're a boxing fitness workout. You know, we're a fitness workout for those who just want to learn boxing, but the heart of what we do is boxing. The heart of where everything comes from. The whole workout is based on a boxer training camp. So you know, the whole thing is boxing, but yeah, just delivered in a fun way, a non intimidating way.
Speaker 2: No, it's not intimidating.
Speaker 1: So if you had to like describe something to like get someone to go there, what would you say.
Speaker 4: Well, I think like one of the most common if you say to someone i've been boxing most of the time, the common phrase, oh my god, I love to try that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a very first response.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: That's because they genuinely want to feel that little bit of power and that little bit bad us element the boxing brings.
Speaker 2: That's actually so true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's like it's yeah, so it's like that's a big element. So we know, and we've known that for a long time, but the door of entry for that person to then go that's where I'm going. That's hard, you know, that's a really hard platform. And that's where we came in. And you know, the whole concept around one two from the from everything you see has been thought and calculated. You know, Jimmy busus partner and I we sat down back years ago when we started this venture and every part of what we did, how does that correlate to someone coming in for the first time?
Speaker 3: Right through the colors, you.
Speaker 4: Know, and the branding and the way we articulate what we're doing and the messages we say, like we don't put anything around the words fighting or.
Speaker 3: Anything like that.
Speaker 2: No, because what does one two stand for?
Speaker 4: Well? One two is a boxing commination design, simplicity, the same way our workout runs genius. So people can come in and they can go, yep, sweet, once I've learned it, it's like sweet, there's the combo this.
Speaker 3: In the trainer.
Speaker 4: Once you've boxed for maybe ten to fifteen classes, you can get to a point where you can switch off completely and be super in the moment and hear me in the background. So at the start it's a little more tuned in on me and you're a little tuning in on the screen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there's a little more energy output.
Speaker 4: But once you've got that figured out, you're very much in the background. So when you fight, you know, with my trainer Sam, you know, when we do our spirring, he's in the background and he's delivering messages to me. When you walk out to a fight song, the world around you becomes completely blank. You almost kind of hear a song. That's my experience, and I walk in the round again in the ring. As much as the crowd is making noise, the only thing you can hear in the background is your trainer and that's the same experience in it one two.
Speaker 3: You're in the zone. We don't want to be like the focal point.
Speaker 4: We just want you to be in the zone, having fun and letting your hands go and feeling bad ass while letting off some power shots and you walk out a little more bouncing your step.
Speaker 3: We do that. That's like the process of getting you there.
Speaker 4: We just want you to be able to know, oh yeah, he's asking to spin after the combo, and you'll just do it and you'll hear us as a second.
Speaker 1: It does come so naturally, Like I think once you get past the point that you know there's six punches in there, and then you've got like the little combos down when like because they have a microphone and they will like be like, oh, every second one's like a power punch, and that's when you hit the bag a little harder, or like you do a spin, Like it comes like second nature, Like you don't even realize you're doing it.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like driving a car.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you don't even realize you're doing certain things, but it just becomes natural. And some girls or some guys are like especially on a Sunday, sometimes you are like a lot of your trainers will go in or do a class and then normally up the front. So then seeing them actually do it, you're like, oh, okay, that's what I do. And you do follow people a little bit more, and the more confident people tend to go up the front, which is like so fair, I would too, and you get to see them a little bit more. But then you kind of watch them and pick up with what they're doing. Like verity is always up the front, or if you're doing a class, like you're up the front and it's just like, oh, that's what that is, like that.
Speaker 4: And that's the power of like mixed levels, Like yeah, like the hardest one of the hardest things building programs for one two is factoring in a program to suit Sam on her first class right through to verity and a couple of other guys that've been with us for years, boxing and trying to make sure that we can hit both ends of the spectrum. But that's the power of like being in the same room together, is you're inspired by that person next to you, and multiple people know who's around, and multiple people know people seeing progress. And all the time I get comments all the time from your pad videos of people that have been at one two for a long time saying, wow, I can't believe how much.
Speaker 3: He's improved, how good she's gone.
Speaker 4: And that's because that's just because you just started and just had some fun with it, and I know, you get.
Speaker 3: People hit you up and like oh that's so bad and things like that.
Speaker 2: This is one guy that's constantly my DMS.
Speaker 1: It just loves to have a go at Josh being like, yeah, I would go do with shit if you'd like taught you how to do it properly.
Speaker 2: I'm like brother and like.
Speaker 4: The best thing about coaching, and it's like one thing we always talk about to our team is coaching boxing is such an intricate thing to do and often and padwork really shows what happens here is when you have worked on two things.
Speaker 3: Let's say you worked on stance and a bit of footwork.
Speaker 4: The first thing that happens when you start working on stands and footwork is your punch start to drop.
Speaker 1: Your hands start to drop because you're focused, because you're focused on footwork.
Speaker 4: So we never tell everyone to go, hey, we're going to work on your footwork, but don't drop your hands as well.
Speaker 3: That's that's just reminders.
Speaker 4: But we don't have this expectation that you've got to come in on your first class and you've got to go, yeah, you've got to.
Speaker 3: Know this, this and this and this.
Speaker 4: So anyone as an outsider sitting there trying to nitpick those elements, a lot of the time they haven't actually experienced what it's like to coach people, and coaching people is such an intricate task. And again, for revert back to that confidence thing, it's once you've learned how to go stance and you've done your footwork and all of a sudden your hands are in this.
Speaker 3: Good position while you're working on new footwork drills.
Speaker 4: And then I advance your combos and then after six weeks to say right, we're gonna put all together and we're gonna put long combos together. And you do that, you walk away gone, holy shit, look what I've done. Like, I'm leave half farve progress.
Speaker 3: That's your moment. Yeah, but you've had to work to that moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So it's not about trying to get it right straight away, not about perfecting it.
Speaker 3: It's just about having fun, and boxing is often just about showing up.
Speaker 2: Would be nice to perfect it, though.
Speaker 4: I know that's because you have a perfection and that's why you get angry after fifteen minutes of your workouts.
Speaker 2: Angry is the wrong term.
Speaker 3: Frustrated both, definitely both.
Speaker 2: Dress is really out of me here? Why would you do that?
Speaker 3: Because you had a me in class? So it's a bit of at you are you always do it? More paths, yeah, more pads.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wouldn't embarrass you.
Speaker 3: No, no, I'll do that over the mic every now.
Speaker 2: Then, yes, you know, but yeah, I don't embarrass you in the class.
Speaker 3: Nah, only on pads, only on cookie videos.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, guys, did you say that?
Speaker 1: So so Josh like always like obviously we filed our workouts and we are like I love uploating boxing videos because I also like filming them for myself to show, like I think sometimes again, like I have such a perfectionist mindset. Obviously we're filming something that Josh is really confident in. So like if I feel Josh doing boxing, like he's got a nailer every time, like it always just like you just know what you're doing because like you've done it for so long. So then after one day obviously we trained in South Melbourne when we're near the South Maulburn markets, and he's like, Josh has the biggest sweet tooth I've ever fucking met in my life.
Speaker 2: I get like sometimes like.
Speaker 1: Five messages a day of like, well, yeah, I went to this Korean corner storm all this shit.
Speaker 2: Like he sends all these videos of him like trying all this food.
Speaker 1: It's really funny, and he has the biggest sweet tooth I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Like always in.
Speaker 1: Cheesecake cookies, vanilla slices a side fucking with so much peanut butter on it.
Speaker 2: It's insane, Like this guy has the biggest sweet tooth. I walk in, there's like a.
Speaker 1: Packet of snakes something like he's so bad and he's like, Oh, there's this new cookie place in South wel but like I'm going to go try one.
Speaker 2: Got it.
Speaker 1: I was like, Oh, like, let's film a review because everyone films like McK bangs and reviews of cookies.
Speaker 4: Sweeah asked for like a break review and I was.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, like the.
Speaker 1: Cross section of a cookie and you like break it open, like what mock banger is doing on TikTok.
Speaker 2: I was trying to be cool and like stuff like that. Josh.
Speaker 1: I've never seen you like in a comfortable situation in my life. You just didn't know what to say. It was like, yeah, you were speaking in front of a whole crowd, but it was literally just me.
Speaker 3: I didn't want to say. I couldn't. I couldn't come out of the words to describe the cookie. Yeah, because I was really enjoying. I was like, yeah, the cookie is good, it's soft.
Speaker 2: What else did you know?
Speaker 3: And then you're waiting for me to say something, and I looked at Sam.
Speaker 4: I'm like, please, take over and then she just started laughing and fully embarrassed me.
Speaker 3: I went out a couple of times and people.
Speaker 2: People like recognizing They're like.
Speaker 4: Hey, I seen you on TikTok and I'm like, oh yeah, and they're like, yeah, you did some like cookie thing Sam, and I was like, I was laughing.
Speaker 3: It was pretty funny.
Speaker 4: So that's that's my claim to fame with You're famous famous for TikTok.
Speaker 1: So overall, if you could say one thing to people who want to try boxing, what would you say?
Speaker 4: The simplest message is just let's glove up, let's box. Don't even put your mindset to be like, I've got to nail it. If you watch a highlight reel of someone boxing and you think, oh, I can't do it, they are just twisting their shoulders, and we always simplify boxing is just about twisting your shoulders and everything else gets learned from that. So book the class, have some fun and let the skills of boxing progress over time, and just appreciate your journey, because everyone starts from somewhere, whether that's your first time doing sport or first time doing fitness and boxing your chosen carrier for that, you just start there and have fun there and the team will guide you through through our journey at one two.
Speaker 3: And if you're.
Speaker 4: Looking to start boxing anywhere else, just literally do the same mindset, rock up and have fun, keep the expectations.
Speaker 1: Low, and enjoy the process of being present and girls, we might be doing a little boxing event, so if you wanted to try it, then then you can come to the event that I'm running.
Speaker 2: Yep, it's Josh, Yep.
Speaker 4: We'll be doing a It's about a ninety minute workout where there'll be a bit of rest in between, but you're basically working between the class experience, so you'll get to experience what is like to do a class. We'll teach everyone how to learn a box at the start, and then they'll be do a bit of pad work and getting videos and getting their little.
Speaker 1: Money, get that cool shot to put on the Instagram story. Girls, you get those people liking that story and all the boys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's all that we want.
Speaker 3: In that class. But thanks, be really fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you so much for coming on Just a Girl's Podcast. How do you feel feel great?
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: You're a natural I reckon thank you first.
Speaker 3: This is my first ever podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there we go.
Speaker 3: As I told you, I was like, yeah, shit, I don't really know. I don't really I don't listen to podcasts very much. Yeah, I've moved away. I did a lot of self help.
Speaker 4: And I've just gone back to being in the moment and just experiencing things naturally.
Speaker 3: And that's where.
Speaker 2: You're a very simple guy.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I've come to realize you like the small things in life, which is a good thing.
Speaker 3: Do you know what's taught me that?
Speaker 4: Do you know why when you do a fight camp, you are eight weeks in and you're locked in.
Speaker 3: You've no early nights now going out, You've got to be a little more COURTI of your food.
Speaker 4: You've got to eat more meals that are going to nourish you, so your performance eating a bit more.
Speaker 3: You know, you're not drinking or anything like that.
Speaker 4: So when you go to bed and you know you got sparring the next day, you're like, you're you're in bed and you're thinking, you've got this unknown element and this is like, this is where I've learned. This is the only time I ever get a little anxious is when I'm thinking about the unknown. And that's often a lot of time. Where that can come from is just the thinking about it. So I've learned how to get really present by just allowing myself to rock up in the morning and go for the sspiring. But because you're in that eight week period where you're a little more zoned in and checked in when you finish the fight, and.
Speaker 3: This is like the journey, Like when you finally do eight weeks of boxing. You feel good when you finish that eight.
Speaker 4: Weeks of fight camp and you get in the ring, win, lose or draw. You have everyone supporting you and you get out. It is the most liberating feeling in the world. And the fact that you can just wake up and just have some breakfast and go about your day, it is so next level. On every fight camp I've been through takes me another level of gratitude to the point where I can.
Speaker 3: Order a beer and just look at it and be like this is next level.
Speaker 4: I can't believe it, and like that's what you lose for eight weeks, just the simple things that we get access to all the time. So fighting, you know, there's obviously a lot of discipline elements of rewarding yourself with you know, committing to an eight week period. But that's where my simpleness of like behind the simple, there's there's been a lot that's gone on to like take me there, but that is yeah, a very being grateful has been something that boxing.
Speaker 3: Has really taught me because it's same. Yeah, I appreciate it. I see that in you too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I've seen you slow down a lot, Like I know you're a tornado up inside, and we've got a great relationship and I get to learn the ins and outs of how you operate, and I get to see it in front of your boxing A lot of the time. You can see how people are when they box, And I think you've really gained like a lot more of a slowdown.
Speaker 3: I think it's like, you know, what's a work in progress.
Speaker 4: I've definitely seen it, especially your will to learn and your will to like pick things up.
Speaker 3: It's just become a little bit more less chaotic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So kudos, Hey, shut Out Boxing, thank you so much for coming on just for girls, and we'll see you guys next Tuesday with another episode.
Speaker 3: Thanks everyone, Bye Joe.