Speaker 1: Do you know the real story Harry got that nickname, probably a Jano. It was a pair of journeys who had a photograph of his seized Ferrari car. Whatever number plates it had had to be pixelighted out. But what this pair did, and I was one of them, was get a fellow with a computer to mock up number plates on the car, and we put fat Tony plates on Lara and it took hold. I'm Andrew Rules's Life and crimes. Recently, my colleague Mark Butler and I did a story about Tony Mockbell because Tony Mockbell has become very big news once more in our city because of the fact that he's been released on bail amid much publicity, and we thought it was time to sort of have a good hard look at who he is, who he was, what he's done, and really have an un blinking look at the life and crimes of an international drug trafficker, a person who has used his wealth in the past to employ killers, standover men, all sorts of bad people to do his dirty work for him, and someone, although he has never been convicted of murder, has shown himself quite capable in the past. We would contend of ordering others to do that for him, to kill people for him. And in fact, there's a very heartbreaking example of a killing which police are convinced he is due to mock bellen his willingness to pay for things to be done. Not that he always paid on time or paid the full amount, of course, but that is the murder back in two thousand and three of Mick Marshall, whose full name was Michael Ronald Marshall. And the thing that stands out here, the thing that makes people remember this, is that Mick Marshall, who was no angel. He was involved in the drug trade, the nightclub scene, etc. He was shot in the head outside his house in Southierra while holding the hand of his five year old son. And I think that scene that unfolded that night in two thousand and three really upset some of the police that were involved in pursuing Mockbell, and I think it made them redouble their efforts to try and nail him. I have with me in the studio today Anthony Dowsley, who has been following Mockbell and his story very closely for many years. I'd suggest, and he probably most of your adult working life, is that true or getting close to it, and give us a short history of Tony Mockbell.
Speaker 2: Tony Mockbell is surely one of the most infamous figures from the Gangland era. He is mainly known for being a drug baron. His trajectory into that life was through small business, into dealing some drugs, into setting up methamphidamin labs, to becoming a person that was trying to organize billion dollar imports into Australia. He became associated with people like Carl Williams, but he had his own crew and that didn't necessarily involve Williams. It involved his brothers and drug cooks and an assortment of different scully wags that could make him a rich man. And he ends up getting caught. He ends up in trials and he fled from a trial in two thousand and six where Nicola Gobbo was his lawyer. Now, when I mentioned Nicola Gobbo, she was a barrister that had relationships with the underworld. Her biggest client was Tiny Mockbell, and they were so close that they even lived in apartments not far from one another. And I think that was Gobbo's doing. And as time would go on, she would start to resent mock Bell and his cartel. I guess it was because of her treatment that her job was really to protect the king, and that was to really save him from ever being in court if she could get others to take charges for him. It was really about protecting the king, which was Mockbell. It would so happen that that leads her into the arms of police, who recruited her to become a registered informer and give her the code name Human Source eight three eight. And from there the first question she was asked when she meets with her handlers. The first question they asked her was, can you tell me everything you can about Tony Mockbell? When that is going on at September two thousand and five, she is only months away from representing him in a trial over cocaine importation. She's wearing two hats at the one time. She's a double agent. By then, she's going to betray him, and she does, and all of his cartel, who were also her clients. When the Herald's son found out about this scheme, we would dub her lawyer ex protect her identity for some time until later down the track, about five years, when we could expose the full story because we were facing many suppression orders after we published our first article. Now back then in two thousand and six, Tony Mockbell he alleges that Nicolagobo told him to flee, and he did flee. He went to Bonnie Dune in country Victoria, stayed there for a number of months, maybe him up to nine months. And then while he's there, he's organized a large yacht I think it was fifty seven foot yacht named he Edwena to be transported from I think it was Newcastle all the way across country to Fremantle as a Greek crew that get on board and they sail up to somewhere near Geraldton. And then Tony mockbells meanwhile being transported across the country in an suv and he boards that yacht and he goes sailing. He goes sailing all the way to Grace. Would have taken probably months, and he's on the run for fifteen months until he was caught because an informer named thirty thirty gives police the tip off as to not only the drug offenses that are going on at the time, but he knows where he is, he knows he has phone numbers and things like that, so they're able to track him down to Greece and thirty thirty becomes a person that gets a large reward for his work with police. Strangely, he knew police because he was a professional musician and there's a police officer named Ross Gunther who was also a professional musician, and they knew each other. And Ross was a sax player. I don't know what thirty thirty was, but Rosskunter played the saxophone and that's where that relationship comes into it. Down the track, as we all know, Mockbell would learn of the lawyer ex scandal through the Herald Son and that was in twenty fourteen when it was first exposed, and it's taken him eleven years to get to the end of his process, which is coming soon his appeal, but only a couple of weeks ago he was given bail and he's now tasted freedom. Now. Tony Mockbell was always someone that was flamboyant. He was the one that had the flashy car he did, and he ended up having a fluttery girlfriend he did. And I'm not sure that he was ever ordering any murders, no, because he was acquitted of the murder of Lewis Moran, and the prosecution withdrew the charges on the Michael Marshall murder.
Speaker 1: That's true, and that's fair enough to by the letter of the law. That is absolutely true, by the letter of the law. He is not a murderer. However, there are those who would suggest that, you know, there was very good grounds to having charged.
Speaker 2: He's always contended that he's a businessman, that business may be drugs, and that killing was never his game.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, well, he assays, he would say that, would he not. What do you think happened with Michael Marshall, the father of the little boy who was mown down in South Arape shot in the head four times.
Speaker 2: It was murder and Chadstone a little while before that, and many people believe that it's linked to that because Carl Williams wanted it to throw off that it might have been Michael Marshall that was in the middle of that in some way.
Speaker 1: Willie Thompson. Willie Thompson murdered only probably a month before or something any sports car outside at Martial Arts Gym near the big intersection of Springvale Road and out there somewhere. He came out late in the evening, somebody shot him extremely dead in his open top sportscar. Not a great thing.
Speaker 2: He had a Honda.
Speaker 1: Lovely thing until somebody wants to shoot you. Yeah, there were a lot of upset people.
Speaker 2: But I don't think we ever got the answers on Willie thompson'solved.
Speaker 1: You don't think it might have been people paid by Carl Williams, that it would be a drug or problem.
Speaker 2: Maybe so, But I don't know what Willy has to do with Carl Williams.
Speaker 1: Would that Willie's quite friendly with Mockbell and Carl. It wouldn't bey the Carl. But when Willie gets shot, Mockbelly so upset that for a minute, or an hour or a week, he forgets that he's a respectable businessman who just deals in drugs and thinks, I'd like to knock off whoever killed my friend Willie Thompson. And he talked to Carl Williams about it and said who did it or whatever? And he was fed a line that it was Michael Marshall. Is that right?
Speaker 2: But that was that was the theory.
Speaker 1: That's the theory. You don't really hold the view that Mockbell is responsible for the murder of Michael Marshall because he was not convicted of it. There was a charge is laid, but they were noted, as they say in the law with drawn, withdrawn, And in fact Carl Williams, a bloke who I would suggest broken the murder, was charged and convicted of it.
Speaker 2: It was and that trial sort of slipped under the radar because Carlwims had so many murder charges all at once. The Michael Marshall one wasn't in the media when it was going through its trial because it was basically suppressed. And at the end of that trial Carlwbms pleaded not guilty, he was found guilty. But Mockbell, he's not in that trial. He's not there, his name's not raised. So is this a case if you were guessing, is this a case.
Speaker 1: Of a sort of a street level, gutter level politician like Carl Williams thinking he's a very wealthy drug dealer with a lot of money. I don't think I better be dragging his name through the mud too much in case I need the phone or friend.
Speaker 2: Well, as we know, Carl Williams in the end, you know, was cooperating, but he never put Mockbell in for anything, and not that I know about.
Speaker 1: No, but that's what I'm saying, he would not because.
Speaker 2: So maybe he's not involved at all in anything well in these particular heinous man.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, fair enough. Well that's an interesting view. So the fact that some people would suggest that mock Bell not only is a big time drug dealer, a ruthless drug dealer, probably really a ruthless businessman in drug sceense, wouldn't suggest that he was able to hire enforces to enforce his will and when people didn't pay, when people tried to rob him, rip him off, whatever, that he wouldn't tool up using hired hitmen, bash artists, whatever it takes. Don't think so, Well, it.
Speaker 2: Depends on what the subscribe to. That all major criminals have to get involved in murder. I don't think that they necessarily go hand in hand.
Speaker 1: No, not all of them, that's true.
Speaker 2: So, I mean it would be a testing environment, a very challenging environment to be in where there's a marketplace and there's only so many players and everyone's trying.
Speaker 1: To be dominant.
Speaker 2: Yes, it would be very true, and it was. They were heady times, they were, But I think that many have the view that Mockbell on occasions, it's particularly one occasion, was badly beaten. He was by a BIKI type from Perth. Yes, we can probably say his name, Troy mcanty. That's him. And I don't think there was any revenge for that.
Speaker 1: No, I noticed that. I don't think so.
Speaker 2: So you know a lot of people have been asking since Tony Mockbell got out of walked out of the Appeal Court, out of the Supreme Court of Victoria, does anyone you know is he in danger or is he danger to anyone else? I wouldn't think so. No, probably not been eighteen years.
Speaker 1: It's been eighteen years, that is true. He's not as volatile as some, that is true, and yet probably that gets him. It's by comparison with some of the hotal volatile people that would kill people as soon as look at them, he seems almost reasonable. That doesn't make him necessarily stand up citizen in many respects, for instance, this shooting of Michael Marshall. And let's get real, there was a meeting at the Red Rooster at Cornral Moorland and Melvill Ropes in Coburg, which I think he's right there with it. Interestingly where the Mockbell family will grew up, all the.
Speaker 2: Boys and their sisters and a little bit of animated.
Speaker 1: Animated meeting, Yes between a meeting broken or hosted really by Carl Williams, arranged by Carl Williams. So here's my friend, Tony, here's my friend. They gave them code names, but we'll call them the shooter and the driver. Is that okay? And they chat chat chat, and then Williams and driver go to one side, and Tony Mockbell is left chatting to the shooter interestingly, and even though they've met five or ten minutes earlier and shook hands, then they shook hands again, which intrigued the police who were watching all this through long lenses, because they thought, why did they shake hands in the middle of a conversation, And they thought, oh, we think he Tony palmed something to him. And indeed they saw that the shooter's hand go into his pocket as if he palmed something into his pocket. And I don't think this chewing gum. I think it was probably a piece of paper. And what the shooter told the police a long time later when they arrested him, or sometime later when they arrested him, and they talked about all this and he decided to basically give evidence against all these guys. He said, Yeah, he gave me a piece of paper with an address or two addresses on it, one in Collingwood, won in South Era, and the registration of a car.
Speaker 2: So it wasn't I want a chicken roll.
Speaker 1: No, it was chips. I don't think it was because you thought he's doubling up as an uber rather well.
Speaker 2: He fat tony. Back then it might have been quite an order.
Speaker 1: A big order. He was a good tippo too.
Speaker 2: Well. I didn't notice when I saw him in court that he's slimmed down. And back then when he fled in two thousand and six, he was carrying a little bit he was. And you know he's headed off to Bonnie Dune and his girlfriend followed him there, and I think they got pregnant while she was there, and was all under the radar secret no one could find him. A big man hunt going on. And then he heads off over the nuther.
Speaker 1: Ball magic story. As you said earlier, he buys a yacht or gets his mate, a funny little man, a friend of his, to buy a yacht in Sydney. I think it was up. It wasn't, And they demastered it and they put it on the great big trailer and they tow it across another ball with a great big truck or whatever, and they get it to from Mantle and they put it on the slips or whatever work on it. They build a secret compartment in the cabin so that just enough for one thick set man to sneak into.
Speaker 2: Yes, with the toilet.
Speaker 1: Yes, pretty pretty tricky. And he's got a Greek crew from Greece that he imputed experts seamen, no Australian connections, good idea, and he wants to give them a good time, so he sends them all to a massage parlor the night before they leave from Mantle.
Speaker 2: Is that why they had a copy of Berry White?
Speaker 1: They had a copy of only one ceed allegedly. I hope that's true because it's been said many times. So anyway, the great crew they sailed north to Geralton to basically a port where nothing but big you know, iron all ships go out, and Tony drives up in the car with the family. You know that trip across the Null Bay that he took himself. He was in tell me if I'm wrong here. I think a station wagon. It's a family on tour like Griswold's on.
Speaker 2: To su Yeah, the family truck stuff.
Speaker 1: Mum and dad in the front driving old couple and in the back is Tony. And they pretended he was a deaf mute.
Speaker 2: Yes they did.
Speaker 1: No where's isn't it perfect? Where's the deaf mute? And that was his cover when he went across a nullboy. He couldn't speak or do anything much, and they treated him, you know, as if he was needed to be helped at all times, and that sort of would alleviate any suspicion of him. And they kept this up, this charade all the way to Geralton, and then he pops in the secret compartment and they seal it up and they go to sea, and of course he's locked in the secret compartment for three days I think, to get well out. And he was very, very sick. Yes, I think he earned his freedom to do that. To be locked in a tiny compartment on a yacht that's pitching around, I think it'd be like being in a coffin. And he apparently he was sick all the way across.
Speaker 2: That's maybe why he's twenty kilos lighter now will it'll be a good start. Well do you know that? You know my name is Tony as well over to some people. Yes, And when I walk into court the other day and he's thin and I've got fat in the last twenty years.
Speaker 1: Oh, you've swapped.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now I'm fat Tony.
Speaker 1: You're fat Tony. Yeah. Do you know the real story Harry got that nickname?
Speaker 2: Oh, probably a journo.
Speaker 1: It was a pair of journeys who had a photograph of his seized Verrari car with had whatever number of plates it had. I'm not sure it was the are you there number plates, but anyway, whatever number plates it had had to be pixelated out. But what this pair did, and I was one of them, was get a fellow with a computer to mock up number plates on the car, and we put fat Tony plates on the Marari and it took hold. We thought it was sort of a reasonably corny, funny homage to fat Tony in the Simpsons. Anyway, took hold, and everybody assumed that he'd always been called fat Tony. But that's where it started.
Speaker 2: He's had so many names, big Wig.
Speaker 1: Big Wig, so you do your bit for big Wig.
Speaker 2: I do like a bit of big Wig.
Speaker 1: I think it's one of the reasons people sort of smile about Tony Mockbell. It's the whole big thing.
Speaker 2: Do you think that he's got a sort of nature that people don't think he's you know, he's been affable, he's a character.
Speaker 1: He's affable and amiable, like good salesmen are. Doesn't mean they wouldn't run over you if they had to. I think that's the point I'm making it. In the end, I've been.
Speaker 2: Out side the Supreme Court and few people that have been released, and it's I think it's the first time I've heard cheering.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's interesting. He's become a bit stunned, a folkloreic figure, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And he was smiling.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And he he arrived in a bear Cat, which is a big armored sort of big tank of a vehicle and you know the police used for the most high security what's the s ESG. You know that it's a big tank of a thing with big fat tires. He rolls up in that and he leaves in a AMG Mercedes Benz probably worth over one hundred and eighty thousand dollars. It was quite something.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's very good. Matt Black, Matt Black, Matt Black, Mate Black's the color of gangster it is. And any idea who his lady friend is and where he found her while he was in jail for ten years. Were they pen friends?
Speaker 2: Well, there either being pen friends or they have a mutual friend Oh, I see, I don't know a lot about her.
Speaker 1: Do you think she might be Lebanese?
Speaker 2: No, she might be part Lebanese. I think she might be Italian.
Speaker 1: Oh, I say, okay, she's got a touch of the nanamuscuri with the heavy glasses.
Speaker 2: What I am told is that it is a long term friendship, friendship and relationship, and that I think that it sort of she was there with him or not with him, but in the court during these long determination hearings that went on last year. Yeah, so I think it's committed relationship. They're truly together, and you know, it's not some sort of lady come lately's. I think it's more than that.
Speaker 1: One hesitates to make judgments about anything to do with these sort of matters. But she does not struck you as the twenty five year old dripper from the nightclub that he once would have run around with. Not at all. She's very different, isn't she would appear.
Speaker 2: I don't know much about who she is or where she's from, but I have heard a little bit, and I think it's you know, it's been a reasonably heavy relationship in terms of I don't think you can do much while you're in jail. You might be able to have some form of contact, but not much.
Speaker 1: I could write some lovely letters, write.
Speaker 2: Letters visits, but it seems to be the real deal. That's not trying to say.
Speaker 1: Could they have conjugal visits?
Speaker 2: Good question?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Up until recently, I don't think there has been. But up until recently, I didn't think you could have conjugal visits in maximum security prisons. But someone has been telling me that it is possible if you meet some requirements. But I will check it out.
Speaker 1: What would they?
Speaker 2: But you are not convicted of sex offenses? Oh yeah, and you do not have a history of family violence, and you are in a relationship with someone for over a year. Maybe that's some of the I'll get back to you.
Speaker 1: That is very interesting. Now for those who aren't Latin scholars, I know that you are, But for some of our listeners, how would you describe a conjugal visit.
Speaker 2: It's the sort of thing that you play Berry White.
Speaker 1: Too, all right, full body contact. He's the thing Anny Tony Mockbell we're talking about. He goes to his mother's grave, which is of course you would naturally he've been in jail Friday years and he's praying there. Well good on him. And he turns up at the Maronite Catholic church in Thornbury just a couple of weeks ago, and I think much to the interest of the congregation and a few Rubbern Eckerside suggest and a few journals, and there he is doing the full monty at church and probably put an amount of money in the collection plate, I imagine. But it's an interesting scenario, or an interesting dilemma for church, isn't it That here's somebody who, even on the best slant, is a serious international drug trafficker and hire of other criminals to do dirty work, etc. Etc. Etc. In a sense, his money is tainted by any value judgment, money is tainted, and yet he is welcomed into the church. That church, like all others, has actual policy about never doing anything to children or have children harmed or traumatized, etc. As you'd expect. They've got a published version of that. You can look it up. But I'm suggesting, and you're doubting it, but I'm suggesting that he was well involved in the shooting of Michael Marshall, a man who, as I said earlier, was holding onto the hand of a five year old child who saw his father shot I think four times in the head, three times and then one more, most awful, shocking crime. That must have had a terrible effect on that child growing up. That boy would now be twenty seven. We don't know what damage it's done to him, but it surely must have. You know. I know we joke a lot about Tony Rockbell and a lot of crime, but there's nothing funny about that alone when it comes down to it. When he was in church, you know, doing all that nice stuff, did he think about that little kid?
Speaker 2: But you're making the assumption that he's got something to do with it?
Speaker 1: I am indeed, I'll stick with that.
Speaker 2: And you know we've got.
Speaker 1: You're playing the Dermitt dancard that there's no proof.
Speaker 2: There is someone convicted from this. There's the hit men. Yep, there were two of them. There was a driver and a shooter.
Speaker 1: The one's paid by Tony rock Bell or in this case not bait he gi zump them.
Speaker 2: But why do he keep saying that?
Speaker 1: Why do I because he was wanting this done because he was friendly with william one of the avenged.
Speaker 2: Well, we know that Carl Williams is the one who's ordered it. That's been established, it's convicted. The charges were withdrawn against Tony Mockbell, and some people say that that charge was laid against Tony Mockbell to get him back from Greece, to make it stronger for the extradition. Now, back then, when he's on trial in two thousand and six.
Speaker 1: He knew it was coming because he'd been tipped off that you better get out or you better do something because these murder charges are coming.
Speaker 2: This is when he's on trial for six in March, learns, maybe by Nicolagobo, probably by Nicolao.
Speaker 1: There's a murder charge coming, that the murder charges are coming ahead of him.
Speaker 2: And she would learn that from her.
Speaker 1: From very good police sawce so knew one of the many police sources who knew her. Well, that's right, she was generous.
Speaker 2: So he hears about that, and he thinks he was going to go down on the cocaine trial he was on found enough of this and he probably already had it in the back of his mind. I think the planning must have been in with the boat and everything, or it was a possibility to do it. That might have been, because that would have taken a bit of doing. But he was in Bonnie doing for months. He was there a long time and then he goes on his track does he comes back via a golfstream jet.
Speaker 1: He was joined while he was there, of course by his lady loves. He was of the time he had a baby and the baby. You know, he's been quite a generous partner in life to several people. When one of them was Danneel Maguire, who I think was not a step daughter really, but her mother was the partner of somebody who met once Rodney.
Speaker 2: Collins, Rodney Collins, and he give us.
Speaker 1: Some background on Rodney Collins.
Speaker 2: Rodney Collins was a notorious hit man. He was the baddest of the bad. He often used as a method slitting throats, but he also would use guns and shoot people in the back of the head. He would become a person of interest and charged over the hit on the Hodson couple, Terry and Christine Hodson, who were informers, but that trial would never go ahead. Collins would take his secrets to the grave. In twenty seventeen, he died in prison. A very dangerous man.
Speaker 1: Very dangerous man and scary bloke. Yes, and would kid you for fun. Yes. Once killed an irishman because he didn't like his jokes. He shot you're joking, that's true. I know that a party a party. Oh, that did happen. It did happen. It did. He shot the bloke he said.
Speaker 2: He shot him in the leg.
Speaker 1: Shut up.
Speaker 2: I thought that. I thought you were joking.
Speaker 1: No, he did. He shot an Irish bloke. It was and I think the bluck died. Didn't he anyway shot him?
Speaker 2: I think he just shot him in the leg.
Speaker 1: Very bad, very bad man. Cut people's throats just for being witnesses. They weren't even the people that he was there to kill.
Speaker 2: Yes, so that's another person.
Speaker 1: That So that goes to the sort of people, the crew.
Speaker 2: The kind of so shits you make during a gangland war. And you are right, you do meet some ruthless people in that business. There's no doubt about that.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: When I used to go and visit a Miss Madden, I think it.
Speaker 1: Was this is a teenage confession. What is this? Who's miss Madden?
Speaker 2: Daniel Maguire's mother, Joan?
Speaker 1: Her first name was, yes, Joan Madden.
Speaker 2: I think. So she used to live out in Foots Gray. What did she I like to visit Foots Gray because I barrock for Foots Grad. Yes, so I'd go out there because someone told me she lived out there. And she used to tell me that Tony was a better father to Daniel's already her first child, so it was his stepchild than the real father, whoever that was, could be. So she defended him and they were on the run. That's what i'd go out visit.
Speaker 1: I wanted to know where they were.
Speaker 2: She didn't tell me.
Speaker 1: No, I was shocked. That's right, you'd be shocked. But you could go to the football while you were there and put the whole put the whole thing on expenses, that's right. So you probably had to take her to the football.
Speaker 2: I don't know if she was a Doggies fan, but possibly she ended up there was a media scrum one day out there, so I lost my sort of you know, my exclusivity to this particular person. And lo and behold she had complained about me to Colins.
Speaker 1: No, that's not good. No. And what happened then, Well, I didn't really know who was Well did you find out?
Speaker 2: I was just told he was a bit of a psycho. That's just just a bit of a bad.
Speaker 1: She complained, What this bloke's bothering me?
Speaker 2: I was a botherer, right?
Speaker 1: And where was Where was Colins? At this stage?
Speaker 2: He was in a I think one of those old beat up magnas might have been my own, sitting outside the house. And he I did me set eyes on me? He said, he looked like skeletor to me. You could I immediately sensed that he was dangerous. Yes, And he said meet me tonight and I'll give you a picture of Mockbell and Danny l and the baby over and Greece and all that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Did you believe him?
Speaker 2: I was quite gullible. The chase of a good story, you will almost do anything.
Speaker 1: Did you want to meet you? I think I think you might have mentioned this to me once, but I think it was just north of the city.
Speaker 2: Was just north of the city he wondered. I picked a public place because I thought, well, you know, if things go bad, you know, maybe I'm in a pub or something like a bears bad. So what's that suburb just past Collingwood.
Speaker 1: Well it's Clifton Hill.
Speaker 2: That's where I went, Clifton Hill, and edien't turned up. And then I think I called him or he called me, and he said meet me somewhere else. And then I ended up in a car park in the drizzly rain, and my only protection was a a photographer who didn't want to get out of the car. No, so I went and spoke to him, to Rodney Collins, who had many aliases.
Speaker 1: Yes, duke, and he was a lot.
Speaker 2: More fearsome than some of the big guys that are getting around because he was wearing this big jacket odds on, he was tooled up. He would have had a gun. He became a little bit threatening. He wanted me to give him some money. Naturally he didn't have a photo.
Speaker 1: No, he work you over for but I stood my ground.
Speaker 2: I said, no, no photo.
Speaker 1: I'm a doggie supporter.
Speaker 2: I had no money on me, And how do you go with that? I thought, you just wanted to give me a photo for the benefit of the community.
Speaker 1: And how do you go with that?
Speaker 2: He backed off.
Speaker 1: Well, that's good because you know he used to cut throats for fun.
Speaker 2: You were kind of having fun that he could have cut my throat.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not at all. But he had bad manners, bad hygiene. He used another guy's toothbrush in jail and they nearly killed him. The other people didn't appreciate it, really because I think in jail where he couldn't get guns, he was outgunned.
Speaker 2: Then, well, I have heard some prison fine conversations of his. He had a girlfriend. Did he lived out Dan diong Way Right, he's worked for the government.
Speaker 1: So this is not Daniel's mum.
Speaker 2: No, this is not Danielle's mum. Is another woman. And they talked a lot about getting a reward for information from Rodney, did they? Rodney was interested in her.
Speaker 1: He would re mock belt Ree Hodson's Oh, I see how they could possibly work that out somehow that she could claim, well.
Speaker 2: If he got the money for the potential that he could give them information on that that might have been worthwhile in his eyes, because I think he was doing a big stint over a double murder, wasn't he he was?
Speaker 1: I don't see how he could tell the truth about any of it without implicating himself. But anyway, he would be tempted to try because he's you know, a million bucks are sere? That's right, Yet another example of rewards attract people, but they don't actually get paid off.
Speaker 2: But back to Tony mock Bell, Yes, what happens now?
Speaker 1: What happens now? Well, we'll find out who Nanimous Scury is. We'll get sick of seeing him go to church, and he'll probably get sick of it.
Speaker 2: Why isn't he allowed to go to church?
Speaker 1: He's allowed, of course he's allowed. He should go to church and repent.
Speaker 2: But do you think he should have got But.
Speaker 1: I don't for this reason. This reason is the case against him is watertight on certain things that had nothing to do with Goba.
Speaker 2: Well on one thing, well.
Speaker 1: That's enough, just one gun of the force.
Speaker 2: One goat one of the four that he was imprisoned on.
Speaker 1: Well, these are serious charges, yeah, no doubt I agree with that. The one that was where the so called musician.
Speaker 2: So I'll set down what he's in there on you'll sit down. There was a trial in two thousand and six over cocaine importation. He went down on that even though he'd fled, so he begins serving that. When he gets back in two thousand and eight, got nine years.
Speaker 1: With a twelve maximum.
Speaker 2: I think they called that one platonium or something similar. Then when he got back he had all these charges. I think there was like eight of them or something, big operations. I think one was called spake and he did a big plea deal. One was called matchless. It was orbital, quills, magnum. They're the three that he said, all right, I am going to plead.
Speaker 1: Up to these. Okay, let's get to the chase. Which ones were tainted by Gobbo?
Speaker 2: Those three, Well, what's being suggested is that quills and orbital are tainted, and magnum may not be.
Speaker 1: Well. I think there's certainly one that's got nothing to do with her, because it was the guy that got a musician.
Speaker 2: So it's he's international offending. He's offending while in Greece that they say is not tainted. But if you were Mockbell's lawyer, you would be saying it's all tainted.
Speaker 1: You would of because you're getting paid to say that, so you would say it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you might have to have a reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course there's always a reason.
Speaker 2: Was his extradition tainted?
Speaker 1: It's a very good question, and a jamboree of lawyers and others will will be spend a lot of time and money sorting through it.
Speaker 2: It's not that hard.
Speaker 1: It's not that hard, right, What will be the result?
Speaker 2: Well, she charged him, Nicolagoo charged him for eighteen hundred dollars of legal advice on his extradition. She was one of the first people he called when he was captured in Greece. Can you come over, Nick, I need you hear you know, sorry, I left all that sort of stuff. And they talk about his extradition and his strategy and all that sort of stuff. It's few phone calls she charged him for it, gave him some advice, and it's be telling everything to place. That's a problem.
Speaker 1: That's a problem with the expedition. Okay. So the bottom line is this story, the story of Tony Mockbell, is far from over. Yep. The public interest in him will probably wane a little, but it's a long way from over.
Speaker 2: And stay tuned, stay tuned.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening. Life and Crimes is a Sunday Herald Sun production for True Crime Australia. Our producer is Johnty Burton. For my columns, features and more, go to Heroldsun dot com dot au, forward slash Andrew Rule one word. For advertising inquiry, please go to news Podcasts sold at news dot com dot au. That is all one word news podcasts sold And if you want further information about this episode, links are in the description.