Speaker 1: Oh, hi there, and welcome to another episode of The Christy Cast, Live from the Compound.
Speaker 2: That's my house.
Speaker 1: You know where I your pal Chrisy Swan chat to interesting people from all over the world. Today's guest is veteran performer Collet Man. She is fresh off the plane from packing up and moving to London.
Speaker 2: Yes, London. She's in her seventies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Collette and I run the gamut in this conversation, from body image to what not to do when you're divorcing, to dealing with grief, and the amazing story of how she's already been to my house decades before it was even a glimmer in my eye. Chrissy Casters, wrap your arms around my friend, Collete Man.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Christy Cast. The gorgeous coll it Man.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited to I'm so excited to see you now. You are live at the Compound, which is an affectionate name I have for my home. This is not the first time you've been here, not at all.
Speaker 3: I've actually been well, not exactly in this room, but I've been in the envrons.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I do.
Speaker 3: I've been in Europe. I can speak I've been here many many times in the past, and I've even been here since you've lived here, Yes, for lunch.
Speaker 1: But specifically, I want to know about the time that you've been at my house, maybe before i'd bought it.
Speaker 3: Or a long time before you Yes, I would say almost probably, well, maybe forty three years ago, something like.
Speaker 1: What brought you to the compound before I even knew it existed?
Speaker 3: Well, it was the halfway house that Doreen from Prisoner lived in the front of the house, we didn't use the inside of the house, which, let me tell you, looks looked nothing like it does today.
Speaker 2: So what you would this have been, that you've been to my house?
Speaker 3: I reckon it was nineteen I reckon it was about nineteen eighty one.
Speaker 1: Right, So I was seven years old, living my life. Yes, and you call it man that I here with me now? Was in my house before I even.
Speaker 3: And I was only seven years old. Of course you were, of course you were, No I wasn't.
Speaker 2: So what is the story?
Speaker 1: How did you come to be in this house?
Speaker 3: Well, because this house was owned by one of our directors. On I was going to say, neighbors. No, I've got dementia. So let's go back on prisoner. His name was Marcus Cole, beautiful young man, and he and his partner at the time, and I think they're still together. If not, I'm sorry that happened. Well, you know, I she may have passed. I actually think that she was the owner of the house and he was her boyfriend. I think, oh, so you know more than I do. There's a bit of gossip. Anyway, he put his house. He was directing, and he said, you can use my house. As I say, we used the front a lot, I don't. I remember we came into the house to sort of get changed and things like that, because you shoot out of sequence. But we didn't use the inside of the house. The inside of the house was a set at none awardding.
Speaker 2: Right, But use you did use the backyard.
Speaker 3: Yes, we used the backyard, and it didn't look anything like the backyard that I've just seen. But it was lovely because I was here, I reckon, I was here probably ten twelve times.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And then I just love this story so much.
Speaker 3: And then when you bought the house, I thought I saw it. I saw it on the telly. Or no, I didn't see it on the telly. I saw it maybe on a real estate place, and I thought I recognized that house. And then when I was working with you on Circle, I said, have you bought this?
Speaker 2: No, I wasn't living there. Then, Oh you weren't. Anyway, I love that story.
Speaker 1: I love that I live in a piece of Australian television history, and I love that I'm currently talking to a piece of Australian television history. You have recently returned from the UK, where you have but you backed up stumps and left your home.
Speaker 2: Yes, I did, and we're traveling.
Speaker 3: Yes, I opped up the stumps. I got very tired after I left Neighbors. I had about a year where I did. I did some teaching because I still teach quite a lot of students acting, but basically I wasn't getting any work. I've got bits and pieces. I did The Fantastic Fisk for Kidding.
Speaker 2: Oh oh god, what a great show.
Speaker 3: And I had done the first series and then she asked me to do one day on the second series, which I did, and I did an ad for Funerals and I thought, oh god, this is the end.
Speaker 2: And the slippery slope.
Speaker 3: Yes exactly. And I was testing for a couple of things, and you know, it was for actors or for characters in their late sixties, early seventies, and then you'd find that it had gone to somebody who was in their fifties, you know, which is something that Australians do. And I was winging to my son about it, and he said, well, why don't you go to England? And I said, can't you know because I tried to get an ancestry visa a few years ago when I was in neighbors. It was going to cost me seventeen thousand dollars. Oh my god, and that was in that was in something like twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: And how many funeral ads do you have to do to pay that off?
Speaker 1: Lot?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And anyway, so he said, I'll do it for you for ten and I said, no, you'll do it for nothing, because I paid for your law degree.
Speaker 2: Love it and he did, God love him.
Speaker 3: And so I got the visa in about three weeks because I'd done all the genealogy and all that stuff, and.
Speaker 2: You thought, why not?
Speaker 3: I thought, why not? So off I went. I went for nine weeks at the end of twenty twenty two, but to have a look around, found an agent, met a couple of made some good contacts and then I went over twenty twenty three in end of March, and I've just come back and may I ask your age seventy four.
Speaker 1: Most people are really thinking about slowing down at seventy four. And when I saw you living your best life in London, I thought, that's me.
Speaker 2: You're so inspirational.
Speaker 3: Oh, darling, don't say that you are.
Speaker 1: No, you are because so many people say, oh, I'm too old, and we say that to ourselves.
Speaker 2: From the age of twenty five.
Speaker 3: I know it's funny because you know a lot of my friends that are young, a lot younger than me. But I've always been a person who's liked to surround myself with younger people. And you know, working on neighbors was great for that because I sat with the kids that all the young kids. Because I don't like to look back. I like to look for yes, and I find that when people get a little bit older, not just in my industry but just people around me, they are constantly looking backwards. And I mean backwards was great. I've had some great opportunities and I've done some great things in the back part of my life. But I am also really good at looking forward, and I like the feeling that I may fail at something.
Speaker 2: Yes, do you think that's why because you studied law.
Speaker 3: Yes only for a short while, not for a long while.
Speaker 1: But that was going to be a very safe, predictable career that used your gifts. What was it about what was unfolding in front of you in terms of your life that you thought, actually, I want something a bit dirtier, a bit riskier.
Speaker 3: Well, because i'd always been I've been taken to dancing school at three. Yes, you know, I was a little sort of dumpling in a two two.
Speaker 2: Oh how gorgeous?
Speaker 3: Really hideous?
Speaker 2: Is divine?
Speaker 3: And then I so I grew up in dancing school, and I was always even when I was fourteen fifteen, I was still a bit of a little dumpling while I was slightly bigger dumpling. And I knew that I wasn't going to make it as a ballet dancer, which is what I really wanted to do. And so I was lucky enough to go to professional dance classes as they were called then they weren't like a bourbon dancing school. And a guy that I learned from called Ted Miller, and also another, another wonderful woman called Betty Pounder, who was the choreographer for so many musicals. I went to her classes and they both said she is a great comedian. She's and this was at fourteen, and they said that's where she should go.
Speaker 1: Isn't it great when someone that you respect says that you can do something? It often just takes one person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. And I really when I can, because I still teach students. I try to be that person for them because there are so many knockers, as you would know, in our industry, and so many people that want to pull you down. That when I have really good students, and I do because you know, they've come to me recommended, or they their friend came to me, I like to build them up because it's a hard enough industry without somebody trying to pull you down.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 3: And so those people built me up, and so my mother then took me to acting school and all that sort of stuff, and so it was always in me to do it. And when I knew that I didn't want to be a lawyer, I quickly shifted over to an arts degree to get out of UNI, and then I taught for twelve months to pay my mother back. And then I auditioned for Godspell, the original company of Godspell.
Speaker 2: And away you went.
Speaker 3: And the rest of it is theatrical history.
Speaker 1: You you know, refer to your body as a dumpling, yes, and a slightly larger dumpling.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: I want to know what it was like to be a woman in television and theater in the seventies and eighties with regard to body image.
Speaker 3: In the well in the seventies. Because I started in Godspell at nineteen seventy one, I don't remember remember anybody discussing body image at that time. I mean I was in God's Spell for four years and we were in overall, so it didn't really matter.
Speaker 1: And then I was Godspell for the uninitiated, is a giant misshippie.
Speaker 3: Musical, Yes, exactly. Not done very often now, but it was huge at the year. It was massive, and it was the first time they ever used what we call now call triple threats. People who could sing, dance, and act. I see myself, which is you well, I see myself as an actor, dancers, singer, yes, the singing at the bottom, but I sang well enough to be in that and so I never really.
Speaker 2: Encountered much problems with that.
Speaker 3: And then I worked for the Melbourne Theater Company and I did bits and pieces of television. It wasn't until after Prisoner, which would have been for me about nineteen eighty three, and then I was working on things like the Don Lane Show and Good Morning Australia and all that sort of stuff, that this whole thing about body image started to be a real thing right for me. And I have to say, I don't think my body ever, even though I at times have been much much bigger than I am now, it never really held me back because I usually played the funny, weird one who was the friend of the lead. Yes so, and I always saw myself as a character actress, not a lead, and so I was never one of those people who always thought that she should be playing the leading role. Yeah right, I think you've got to know your limitations. And it's funny because in London, my agent in London, who I still have and they're wonderful, one of the things they said to me was one of the reasons I got knocked back for a role that I was up for in London was a woman of seventy one and they said, oh, you're too glamorous, and I went, what I've never been called glamorous in my life.
Speaker 2: I come over to my place and see what I look like. I said, is I opened my eyes exactly?
Speaker 3: And they went, no, you're effortlessly glamorous. And I went, you all need to have a good look around, I said, or come to Australia. There's much more glamorous people than me.
Speaker 1: You must have to have a very strong self esteem to every day be told that you are not something.
Speaker 3: I don't know whether a strong self esteem. It's just a resilience, I think, because I don't think I've got a strong self esteem. Lots of times I think, oh I'm not good enough and I'm not this, and I'm not that. But I've been doing it for so long. I've been doing it for like fifty years.
Speaker 2: You're resilient, you understand.
Speaker 3: You just go, well, I'm sorry. I mean I tested for heaps of stuff in London, and some really interesting stuff, like I had to learn a Norwegian accent.
Speaker 2: What does that sound like?
Speaker 3: Oh I'm not very good at it anymore. And I can't even think what I used to say, but.
Speaker 2: To say good morning, my name is Collette.
Speaker 3: Good morning, my name is Collette.
Speaker 4: It's very good.
Speaker 3: No, it's not.
Speaker 2: What other accents do you do?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: I try and do. I mean, look, you're putting me on the spot now, I try and do Irish accents. I'm very good at RP as they call it.
Speaker 2: What's RP?
Speaker 3: RP is recited pronunciation, it's how the queen?
Speaker 2: What did she give it to us? Give it to us? College?
Speaker 3: Well, i'd say, good morning, it's lovely to be here.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, sorry, is Judy Dent on this podcast?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: Yes, we'd love her to be. I saw her on stage while I was over there, and isn't she magical? Not acting? She was doing a thing like this.
Speaker 2: Oh, like a Q and a yes in conversation I think they call it.
Speaker 3: And she was with a gentleman that had helped her write the book. She'd written a book called Shakespeare The Man who Paid the Rent, because basically all the beginning of her career was Shakespeare. Right, And there she was at eighty seven. She's nearly blind now, she has macula degeneration. Yes, and she was amazing and funny and he was very great with her. She obviously knew him quite well. And every now and again he'd say can you do something for us? And she'd jump not do what I just said, and go, oh god, no, she'd jump up out of the chair. I was so jealous of a jumping up out of the chair. I can't jump out.
Speaker 1: Of a chair that quite quite quickly like that, yes, but you can see and swings them roundabout Cola.
Speaker 3: And she would get up and just do a long monologue from anything like she did as you like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she did as you like it.
Speaker 3: She did Julia, and it was all there, you know, it was all there in her head.
Speaker 1: It was a shame that eventually she won't be in the world. And who else knows that much?
Speaker 3: Shakespeare, nobody does, nobody, but a lot of people say that I look like her. So I'm hanging in there.
Speaker 1: You do look like her little sister, yes, you know, but like you know, a lot one of those ones sort of like I was the last in the family. That was a mistake, and all of that sort of stuff, you know, a lot, a lot exactly.
Speaker 2: She wrote a book which you just said.
Speaker 1: You are also a published author, Collin, I speak, of course.
Speaker 2: Of It's a man's world, how clever?
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 2: And give me a break?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: What were they about?
Speaker 3: Well, It's a Man's World was based. They was written when I was pregnant with Charlie, who was my youngest son, who's thirty. Oh I don't know how old he is. Thirty four, man, he's over thirty, yeah, exactly, and he I was pregnant with him and I couldn't work, and so a girlfriend and I decided we would write why couldn't you work? Because I had when i'd had Sam, who was my eldest who's thirty six. I do remember how it is because I work down from there. He when I had him, I had preyer clamps here and I had I was very I had very bad high blood pressure and all that sort of stuff which I don't have any more interesting enough, but.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about that later. I think I know why.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so I had very high blood pressure. And so when I got pregnant the second time, they said, you can't work, you have to stay home. You have to you know, with your feet up. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, at the.
Speaker 3: Time I was I think I was thirty. No, I was forty when that happened. I thought, oh no, this is a disare disaster, but it was probably.
Speaker 1: The only time in your life that you've stopped well probably, yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, So I decided that i'd write a book, and a girlfriend of mine had a contact with I think I can't remember who the publishers were, but with the publishing company, and they said yes, yes, right. So it was basically it was a lifestyle guide for women in the nineties.
Speaker 2: Oh, I need a copy of it.
Speaker 3: Well, I've got I've got a couple of copies at home. I should bring it. I'll make sure you get one. Yes, I've got about I think Annie, my friend who wrote it with me, I think she found a whole lot of copies when she was moving house and she sent them to me, and I threw most of them out, but then I've kept about half a dozen.
Speaker 1: Can you remember any of these tips for women in the nineties. I'm imagining that, you know, hey, if you want to use up and outfit.
Speaker 2: Pop the collar.
Speaker 3: Oh, yes, it was things like that, and.
Speaker 2: We're a necklace on the outside of ses.
Speaker 3: Actually I've done all of them. It was all of that, but it was more about things like renovating your house and trying not to meet the plumber in your ninety unless it was a really nice night.
Speaker 2: It was stuff like that, you know, I did that yesterday.
Speaker 1: I had a guy come over to put a television on the wall, because God knows, instructions are not my friend.
Speaker 2: No, And I I'm.
Speaker 1: A very sort of like casual person, and I answered that. I was still in my dressing gown when I answered, it answered the door. And it wasn't until a little bit later that I thought, that's odd.
Speaker 3: It is. It's a little bit creepy. It's a little bit like Harvey Weinstein.
Speaker 1: And I was just this whirling dervish of lady madness.
Speaker 2: I was like, come on, come upstairs.
Speaker 1: And then this strange man was following me up to my bedroom and I was wearing.
Speaker 2: A dressing app and I just thought.
Speaker 1: Probably should have got dressed, Probably should have put aside ten minutes to check on something. Yes, Yeah, it's creepy. And what is your What was your second book about? Give Me a Break?
Speaker 3: That was about I was doing Vagina Monologues, a one woman show, and my son Sam was twelve and broke his leg in twenty four places. He likes to do things really wellw Look, it's a long story which I won't bore you with because I was told to different stories. At the age of about thirty, he told me the truth that happens it certainly, Dars. Did you believe the first story he told it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course I did. So what was the first story?
Speaker 3: The first story was that he was watching some boys play football, and a big he was, he was year seven, a big year ten boy fell on.
Speaker 2: Him twenty four places.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he had his knees up and it was in the thigh. It was the femur that the year ten boy did fall on him, but that was when they were wrestling. That's the real that's the real truth of the story. Why a year a small year seven boy decided to take on a rather large year ten boy, I don't know, but that's the story. Anyway. He broke it in twenty four places, and he was only a little bloke at that time. And when they put they put him into what they call a Zakarov cage. Yes, and so had.
Speaker 2: Roy tins all the way through it and keep right straight.
Speaker 3: And so he couldn't go back to school because he was too he couldn't support himself on crutches, and so he had to be in a wheelchair, and at the time, the very expensive school didn't have ramps. Of course they have them now, and so he was home for six months. So while he was home, I wrote the story. Well, basically the story was my experience of him breaking his leg and homeschooling and all of that stuff, and then his version of what happened. So it was a chapter with my part of the story, Sam's part of the story. Then Charlie, my younger one, went well, I want to be in that book, and so I said, okay, but of course he wrote maybe three or four lines and then said this is boring. And then I had to write, I had to channel here what a cute idea, And so I've got copies of that too. So and it was called give Me a Break. A mother, two sons, and a walking frame.
Speaker 2: That's what it was.
Speaker 1: Brilliant well, and also ten points for another pun in the title give me a Break.
Speaker 3: It's a man's a there's a bit of a pattern.
Speaker 2: There is there another book in you?
Speaker 3: Well from me?
Speaker 2: You should ask about.
Speaker 3: Not long after I left Neighbors, I thought I'd quite like to because before I'd been asked about writing a book, and I thought i'd be quite interested to write a book, and so I started thinking of an idea, which I don't really have a title for this one yet, but it's because I teach a lot. It was about teaching acting, but applying what I teach in acting to my own life. Right Like, for instance, when I walked the Kakoda Trail right back when I was forty four or five forty five something, about thirty years ago, I learned for myself that I really only need to look the first ten steps ahead of me in anything long, because if I look at the whole mountain, I won't do it. Yes, and so I so that was going to be sort of one part of it, because I teach that in acting, don't look at the whole script. Just look at what you've got to deal with for this right.
Speaker 1: And then it's similar to my little mindset that in order to achieve contentment, don't look at the next year or five years or a ten year like a five year plan to me is utterly ridiculous and unattainable. All you've got is from the time you open your eyes in the morning until the time you close your eyes at night. That's it. That's sixteen hours. It's twenty four hour day. Let's say you're one of the lucky ones and you get eight hours to sleep, You've got sixteen hours left left. Pack it with the good stuff, and then do it the next day, and then do it the next day, and then all of a sudden in the bank you've got days and days of fulfillment and contentment.
Speaker 3: Exactly. Well that I mean, it's not always like that. My life is a bit of a roller coaster, as I'm sure yours is. But the thing is that I if anything, it doesn't matter if it's a big thing or a small thing, or it's a great thing or a bad thing. I try and only look ten steps ahead. Sometimes I have to pull myself up because I'm looking at the whole mountain.
Speaker 1: Yes, and you go, hang on, Yeah, that's control the controllables, as my friend Jonathan Brown said, Yes, control the controllables.
Speaker 3: That's a good thing. It's like, don't worry about you can't worry about things you can't control.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: And I'm starting to learn that at the age of seventy four, which I think is about the time I should be learning it too late.
Speaker 1: A good day for me is when I have a walk, and I've noticed that you are all so a walker.
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 1: I love walking. It has changed my life in many many ways. Why is it important to you.
Speaker 3: Well, I walked to the Kokoda Trail, but I was much heavier, although I lost a lot of weight on that, and that was thirty years ago, and it was something that always sat in my mind because for a lot of the time when you're walking, even though I was with a group of people, you're not talking because you can't because you're yeah, yeah, and you're going uphill like that because Kokoda Trail is incredibly steep. But I've always wanted to walk, so I've done a few walks on my own, like I walked Hadrian's Wall in England about oh, I can't remember, twenty seventeen or something, and that was seven days on your own. I got lost so many times.
Speaker 2: God, that sounds like bliss.
Speaker 3: Oh well, no, it had its moments, but even if it's hard, it's yes, it was bliss at the end. And it was bliss each night because I stayed at B and B's and they were always great because they're great. England have really got that together. I walked Milford Track in a group, which was interesting.
Speaker 2: That's in New Zealand, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yes, Yeah, and I did that for four days, I think, and I've done and in London the last year that I was there, I used to walk easily about seven miles a day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're the ones I want to talk about, the everyday ones, the A to B ones, the self care ones, the mental health one.
Speaker 3: Yes, and I at the moment because I've got a bit of a hip problem, which you're going to give me the name of your man, Yes, I will. I've been walking less since I've been back in Australia, but not I walk every day, but it's a bit boring for me at the moment because I'm only walking around the area I live in, which I know back like the back of my hand. What was lovely about London was that I'd find somewhere to walk different that I'd never been before, so exciting and I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it when you go somewhere new. I sometimes I've been doing that lately too, just around my area, and it is a bit dull. Yeah, there are many other benefits, but the snapping of the signapses and seeing new stuff and creating new pathways is not part of that sort of traditional walk. But I have, you know, in the past, at least once or twice a week, driven somewhere I've never been before and got out of the car, and you can do that, yes, and it feels like I'm sure. I mean, I've never been to Europe, but I'm sure it feels as exciting as seeing new stuff.
Speaker 2: It's just new stuff, it is.
Speaker 3: It's new stuff. And like I in London, I would because I lived outside. I lived in what they call Greater London, which is outside the city center because it's so expensive. And I lived out there and I was lucky enough to be surrounded by trees and woods, not bush. You don't say the bush, no, you say the woods. And so I would walk through the woods at least three or four times a week, which was lovely. And you know, it changed all the time through the seasons, which was great. And I would go a different way through the woods and quite often get lost. But I never panic when I get lost, because we've got everything.
Speaker 2: In our hand, that's right.
Speaker 3: But I would do that, or I'd just go into the city and walk around a different part of the city because it's so massive London. Yeah, and again you think you.
Speaker 2: Just got to find one little treasure and the whole thing's been worth it.
Speaker 3: Absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 1: A lot of people ask me how do I start? You walk so much? How many kilometers do you do? How many steps do you do? And for me, that is utterly irrelevant all of it. And what I say to them is how you start is all You've got to do is make one commitment, and that is to put your runners on every morning and then you're ready to go.
Speaker 3: Yeap.
Speaker 1: That helped me because if there is an excuse, particularly I mean, now that I know how life changing it is, you know excuses that they don't exist, but at the beginning there's always an excuse. It's too cold, I'm already dressed for work, blah blah blah. Yeah. To take those roadblocks out is what helped me. Have people reached out to you and said, call it, what can I You're always walking? I want to walk?
Speaker 3: Well, you see. The other thing that I do as well as walking, and it's become a religion for me, is that I do yoga every morning, every single morning.
Speaker 2: And I would like to do that and.
Speaker 3: I've been doing it for now eight I've done eight hundred and sixty days in a row. Wow, and look sometimes again like you say, you think, oh my god, can I be bothered? But I do it every I get up, have a shower, I do.
Speaker 2: The yogre, so the routine.
Speaker 3: It's important. Yeah, And it's only like I got up at six thirty this morning because I needed to be here by ten, but I had to do yoga. And you know, my son say to me, oh, why don't you take a day off? No, because I'm superstitious too about things. You know, if I take a day off, something will go wrong.
Speaker 1: And also who wins if you take a day off? It's not Yes, it's not taking a day off. It's not a chore. No.
Speaker 3: So I would do I did it all the way through England too. I'd get up and do yoga, and then I'd get dressed, and I'd decide that I was going to do something like whether I was going to go I'd never been to Regent's Canal, so I'd get a train and go there and then walk the length of Regent's Canal. Or I would decide I was going to do something else.
Speaker 1: So what are the key advantages for you of this daily practice of walking.
Speaker 3: Well, it's if you don't use it, you lose it. Because I'm of that age group where you know, I do have arthritis in obviously in one hip, and I think I've got writers and a couple of in my ankle. But the thing is that goes away when you're walking. It doesn't restrict you. I mean, you said, do people reach out to me? A lot of people on social media? Would you know if I because I posted a lot about walking in London and they go, oh, you're out in the rain, and as my mother used to say, you're not made of sugar. So true, and they or they'd say, oh, you're so lucky you can walk so far. I can't. I've got arthritis. Admittedly I don't know their circumstances, but I think, well some have. I got arthritis. But I could sit home like my mother did and get stiffer and stiffer and stiffer and knit, or I could be out in the world and also knit and knit, yes exactly, because I still knit. But it's just a feeling that I don't want to be. I want to keep moving basically, and like I said at the beginning of this chat, I like to look forward. You can only look forward if you're walking, because if you look behind, you get run over by something or whatever.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I mean. It's a great meta yeah, for life. Yeah, I like to look forward motion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I sound like I'm Julia Gillard. Wasn't she always moving forward?
Speaker 2: I feel like she was. I do love Julia Gillard, so yeah.
Speaker 3: So I think that's what it is about me, is that I really and I like to have structure in my life, and particularly after I left Neighbors, I didn't like the fact that I didn't have the structure in my life to have to get up and go to work every day. So I like to do something every day.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Neighbors, I saw it's still it's still going, still going.
Speaker 2: It was going away and now it's back.
Speaker 1: I saw a recent storyline where doctor Carl, who's been on the show for roughly.
Speaker 2: Two hundred and seventy years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he he played well. His storyline was a poo jogger. He was riding his bike, he was struck by the knee to go to the toilet, scurried into the bushes and did a pooh. And I just thought that is a storyline that I don't think anyone saw coming. What is the weirdest, most unusual storyline that you've been written into.
Speaker 2: In Neighbors.
Speaker 3: There are a number of them. I think one of them was where I supposedly got dementia, but then I got over it quite quickly because.
Speaker 2: That's what happens. Yeah, goes away. There's a cure for.
Speaker 3: It, yes, exactly. And I must say that when this is a bit more dramatic, when they decided to kill off my son, who was played by Damien Richardson, I announced to them that I didn't want any hair or makeup for about six weeks afterwards, which caused no end of drama in a number of departments. The makeup department really supported me through it, but a lot of the directors do you know you look shocking? And I went, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm grieving, but my character's grieving.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would be looking shocking because I know what grieving.
Speaker 2: Is about, you know.
Speaker 3: But the other silly storyline, which I really disliked enormously but had to do because basically, when you're working in a show like that, all those little elements are like Domino's and if you take one out the whole thing falls over.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so they had my son who was Damien Richardson, and my grandson who was Chris Milligan, both in love with the same woman, right, and I had to play the go between. And I said, I'm sorry, this is really ridiculous.
Speaker 2: But he did it.
Speaker 3: I did it. And that was getting back to the book idea. I had to find another way to play it, to make it work in my head, you know what I mean. And that's a bit like life too, that sometimes when things don't work, you have to find another way to play it, if you like. Yeah, And so that's what the book was about. It was things about finding another way. And then I'd tell a story about my life and then explain another acting thing, whether it be you know, to what do you want? That's a big thing in acting. You in every scene you go what do you want? As the character? So asking that of yourself, what do you want? And being really truthful about the answer, you know. So that was what the book was about.
Speaker 2: Truthful about the answer is key. Yes.
Speaker 1: I feel like in a weird way, ever since we met on the set of The Circle God must be twelve years ago now, and I'm.
Speaker 3: So excited because you were the one who got me on the circle as a regular, and I couldn't believe how incredibly gracious and fabulous you were. But then then we became friends and we've been friends ever since.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like the minute I met you, I thought, oh, this is this person is wired similar to me. I recognize that in you, and you know, I just can't believe you're twenty five years older than me. That is crazy because I feel like we are sort of the same person, but you're wiser. Oh no, you you just mentioned grief and that is something that I have been fortunate enough to escape so far in my fifty years. Can you tell me how you deal with grief and what were the events that made you feel grief?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Interestingly enough, just before we go on to that, if we've got time, I did a part time job in London which was role playing for the medical profession, right, so an actor that you're working in front of doctors who are being examined by another doctor. And one of the big stations that's what they're called that I was often given in these jobs was the call called the breaking bad news station, where I had to be a woman whose son was dying, and you do it twenty four times a day. And when I was doing it the first time with the examiner, who was a wonderful guy from some hospital in Newcastle, was looking at all these young doctors.
Speaker 2: So the doctors were real, oh yeah, they're right, Okay.
Speaker 3: They need this certification from the Imperial College of London because it's considered up there, you know. And so it was to get them to say your son is dying, because I'll say anything else, but yes, they'll say he's very very poorly, or they'll say it's not good. No, he's struggling. He's struggling, he's not very good. And that's all say that because they were from all over the world. A lot of them were Middle Eastern and you know, and Asian and stuff like that, and they had even more cultural difficulties saying it. And I had to get them to say as an objective, as an actor, had to get them to say, your son is dying or your son is about to die. And after this examiner the first day had watched me for about five or six times, he went, in the little ten minute break we had in between each one, he went, oh god, this is torture. And I said why. I said, I thought I was doing a really good job, and he went, how do you do that? How do you cry every time they come in? And I but again, you sort of apply it to your own life, right, And I could easily think about it was one of my sons, you know, but it is exhausting to do it. But getting back to your question, my mother dying when I was I think I was thirty eight. I didn't know it, but I was pregnant with Sam at the time.
Speaker 2: That's your second son, no, my first, your first.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And she died well, she got sick at seventy four, touchwood, and she died at seventy seven. And it was and she was we cared for her, my ex husband and I cared for her for the last twelve months and she died of stomach cancer. And it was awful. But interestingly enough, in that process, I think I did nearly all of my grieving as she was dying, right, because I just felt enormous relief for her and for me and for John. When she did die, it kind of hit me about six or eight weeks later where I suddenly thought, oh, something happened, and I thought, oh, I mustering mum and then realized that she wasn't there and I had a bit of a mini breakdown then. But that was an interesting because she was so ill for so long, you kind of prepare yourself for it, and so that was an interesting process. Then when my marriage broke up, which is now I think sixteen seventeen years ago, that's another kind of grief because you grieve.
Speaker 2: For your hopes and dreams.
Speaker 3: Yes, and the life that you had. And it took me. I should become a counselor for women going through it. It took me about five or six years to get over it. Wow, because we've been together for twenty four years, So.
Speaker 2: What did that look like that five or six years?
Speaker 1: Because I assume that you had small children, you had to get on with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh my kids were fifteen and eighteen still, but they and it was devastating for them too. It was awful. Those five years were awful. Why, I'll be honest, I hate to lose. And there was another woman involved whom he's has since married. I haven't had much to do with him. I'm not one of those who says I can be still good friends. I can't be. I'm sorry, and I'm not unpleasant, and we've spoken like his mother died fairly recently, and he let me know when I was in London, and we sort of went backwards and forwards with a couple of messages. But it's not somebody that I would rush to spend time.
Speaker 1: So what's your advice to women that you know have been in long term relationships? It breaks down and they're angry and they hate to lose. Well, you know, what would you do again to maybe expedite the grieving from six years to a year?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well, unfortunately for us at the time, we were in a company together, right, And so for reasons I won't bore you with.
Speaker 2: So never shit in the nest is what you're saying.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly exactly. So for reasons that taxation and yeah, and Bory said and all that, we had to stay in that company for five years, right. Oh, and so for the first couple of years, I just tortured myself basically because I was running the company by then financially, and every time he wanted more money to do something or do this, or he was working as well, and I was working the money he was going into the company, but he was wanting obviously wanting more.
Speaker 1: For very hard you would have preferred to life, Yeah, you will prefer to clean break.
Speaker 3: Yes, And so I would say to people if I ever had to go through it again, which I won't under any circumstances.
Speaker 2: Because never marrying again.
Speaker 3: No, not while I've got breath in my body.
Speaker 2: One and done. Is that that's right.
Speaker 3: I've had two husbands and clearly I'm not good at.
Speaker 2: It, so not one and done, two and pooh.
Speaker 3: Yes exactly. But I would say, make the break as soon as you possibly can, and even if you do want to be friends in the future, which I'd say, we wouldn't kill each other if we saw each other now. But there were times I thought of a killing myself, killing him, killing her everything, you know, blaming everybody but myself, fury. I've now got to the point where I say it was fifty to fifty. I wasn't great. I didn't like the way he did it. But if he'd been man enough to speak up and say this is not what I want, it probably would have been a bit easier. Yes, But I wasn't great in the last five years of the marriage either. So in what way I think the kids were really important to me and getting them through and.
Speaker 2: Your focus was also My.
Speaker 3: Focus was elsewhere. One of the things that he said at the end, which was probably true, was that I had a career and all he had was a job. And so, yeah, I know, we'll talk about it off here, but there were extenuating circumstances. But my kids were really important to me, as they are to anymodey.
Speaker 1: I think this is a really relatable situation for women in long term relationships. You have children, yes, and it's a really hard balance to strike.
Speaker 3: It is a hard balance to strike, and I think respect went by the wayside on both sides, and so I blamed myself a lot for that, but it took me a long time to get to that, yes, And once I got to that, I was fine.
Speaker 2: And it would have been quicker had the process been.
Speaker 3: Quicker, exactly, And if I hadn't had to deal with him, even in a financial way for the five years. And once I made the break and bought my own place and moved and all of that, life's got better. So my advice to women is try to cut off all unnecessary contact until you feel strong enough to deal with it in a good way. Because I did things, as we've all done at different times. I did things that I'm not proud of.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was in the bath last night and I read an article in the Women's Weekly, which I love, about great divorce.
Speaker 2: And it's a new thing.
Speaker 1: Women are leaving relationships after twenty years of marriage and never getting married again.
Speaker 2: Yes, loving themselves sick. You are in this boat. Yes, Why what's wrong with marriage?
Speaker 3: Well, I've done it twice, and I suspect I'm not very good at it.
Speaker 1: But I've never done it. Oh, and I also suspect I wouldn't be very good at it.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, well I think you're wise and people, I mean, I've had I'm not offers of marriage, I'm not saying that, but I've even had offers of dalliances or relationships or whatever, and I'm just not interested. I mean, I think it's got. I think it's very individual. I was with somebody, as in boyfriend's, boyfriend's, boys friend's husband, boyfriend, boyfriend husband from the age of fourteen. Basically, I was always with somebody, and I may possibly only had maybe three or four months between right to suddenly be on my own at the age of fifty six, and then suddenly ill fifty seven really, but I thought I would never get used to it, but you get used to it really quickly. And now, not that I've had any office to get married or anything like that, but the thought of having to defer, I know this sounds very selfish, and you can make your own decision, but to defer to somebody like to suddenly pack up and go and live in London for a year and not know when I was coming back whatever and not have to ask anybody. The other thing too, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that wouldn't suit someone that you were living with. I get it, you know.
Speaker 3: And even look I saying this about my ex husband John. He was pretty good about my caress, the first one or the second one. He was pretty good about my career in as much as I toured with when the kids were little, but basically one of us had to make some money.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, and also he knew what he was getting into.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly. My first husband didn't know what he was getting into because he met me when I was at university pretending to be becoming a lawyer.
Speaker 2: Yes, and your greatest role of all time.
Speaker 3: Yes exactly. And pretending to become a lawyer and then leaving university and becoming a school teacher, which I was for twelve months, and then suddenly I was in theater, which he didn't cope with the change very well at all. And I totally understand that as well, you know. And so I'm a very good ex wife. I'm just not a very good wife. And that's five yes, exactly.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: Before we leave, I really want to you know, I was raised by television.
Speaker 2: We all were in the seventies and eight. Yes, it was just.
Speaker 3: Like now we're raised by Netflix, yeah, correct or YouTube? Yeah.
Speaker 1: And one of the greatest theme songs of all time is that from Prisoner. And I wanted to know if you know any of the words and could we sing out from our podcast together the theme from Prisoner.
Speaker 3: Well, we can have a try. You knowing you you will know so many more of the words because you know the words to so many songs that I've never even heard of.
Speaker 2: I do. But let's just give it a crack.
Speaker 3: Okay, here you go, me me me, let's do worry. You've got a siren when you're warming up? Okay, no, further up.
Speaker 2: I know the first things just cut. The first words have come into my head here.
Speaker 4: You still bring meses I wish she would again, but that was on me outside and.
Speaker 1: Things were different than timpany drums, I mean side grow.
Speaker 2: They don't mind the stony.
Speaker 1: Grand and the Throseszer prisoners too.
Speaker 2: When morning comes around call it man, Thank you so much, ha ha brilliant. Isn't she so cheeky and wise and adorable.
Speaker 1: If you want to see a recreation in my current backyard of Collet's character Doreen from Prisoner holding her signature teddy bear, I know you do, head to the Chrissy cast on it's and Facebook. Thanks so much for popping over. I just love it when you do.