Speaker 1: From the Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Wednesday, March twenty five, twenty twenty six. After eight years of intense negotiation, Australia signed a ten billion dollar trade deal with Europe plus a security pact to work together on a defense industrial base. It'll mean me abolition of all tariffs on fruit and veggies, almonds, walnuts and macadamias, plus much greater access for Australian meat and dairy. The inside story of how the deal was done is live right now at the Australian dot com dot au. What does Pauline Hanson really believe in? And can we believe her when she says she hasn't changed over thirty years in politics? Dennis Shanahan is here for a conversation full of unexpected laughs. Dennis Shanahan is The Australian's National editor and Dennis, without wanting to make you feel old, you and I have both been around throughout the rise and fall and then rise again of Pauline Hansen. She was first elected in nineteen ninety six. She was a Liberal candidate, but she'd been disindorsed by John Howard's Liberal Party after making what the party believed were racist comments about Aborigines.
Speaker 2: I come here not as a polished politician, but as a woman who has her fair share of life's knocks. My view on issues is based on common sense and my experience as a mother of four children, a sole parent, and a businesswoman running a fish and chip shop. I won the seat of Oxley largely on an issue that has resulted in me being called a racist. That issue related to my comment that Aboriginals received more benefits than non Aboriginals.
Speaker 1: She was then elected to parliament and you sent a bright, young reporter out to interview her. In that interview, Pauline Hanson said she was fighting for the white community, the immigrants, Italians, Greeks, whoever. It really doesn't matter anyone apart from the Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders. And for me, that's the phrase that has summed up who Pauline Hanson really is. Over all of these years, she's now saying that she has not changed her views in her whole time in public life. What do you think about that?
Speaker 3: Well, look, perhaps she hasn't changed her views, but I think she has certainly changed how she expresses her views. I think she has changed where she directs her views, where she directs her comments, and the tone of her rhetoric is definitely changed as well as there is a greater awareness of Pauline Hansen of what is actually required for her to continue success and to be even more successful. So this idea that I'll know I haven't changed. The times have changed and everyone's caught up with me, and now they understand what I'm saying. I think there's a little bit of frippery in there. What she's actually done is developed more nuance as politician. She's developed more nuance in the language she uses, although there are times when she flips back, but overall, I think she has become more sophisticated as a politician, certainly more sophisticated as a communicator. And while her views are essentially the same as far as i'm tax family, aboriginal dependency and immigration, I think that she has changed and she is adapting to changed times. And I think the South Australian election has proved.
Speaker 4: That I love you too. That's why I've never given up. And I say to people, stand your ground, if you're right, have a right to have an opinion. We are a strands to be proud of it, stand tall and strong.
Speaker 1: It's interesting that she still presents herself as sort of the only one who'll tell you the truth and the only one who speaks for you, and the representative or avatar of free speech. Because in her maiden speech, you know later that year in nineteen ninety six, which you covered, she said Australia is in danger of being swamped by Asians.
Speaker 2: I believe we are in danger of being swamped by Asians. Between nineteen eighty four and nineteen ninety five, forty percent of all migrants into this country were of Asian origin. They have their own culture and religion, form ghettos and do not assimilate. Of course I will be called race. But if I can invite who I want into my home, then I should have the right to have a say in who comes into my country.
Speaker 1: Now I cannot imagine her making that remark today, although she does say things like questioning whether there are any good Muslims. Just taking those two remarks in US, what do you think is the difference there? Is it that she is just more sophisticated and more nuanced now, or is it that she's curbed herself because she knows that to say something like that today would not fly.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Look, I think a couple of things for a start, because of that speech she delivered in Parliament, and I watched and thought, this is going to be interesting. She doesn't actually have to continue to repeat the same messages people think have in the back of their mind. I know what Pauline's thinking. I know what Pauline is going to do. And in that speech she said she was just a fish and chip shop owner. She was speaking from common sense, and just in an interview with The Australian on Monday, she talked about operating from her gut. So she's still talking in the same way. So she doesn't actually have to come out and say that Australia will be swamped by Asians, because for those who remember that and for those who give her credit for it, she doesn't have to repeat it. But interestingly, in that first speech, where she did talk about the separation of Australia, particularly along race lines, with Indigenous Australians and white Australia, she also said while she was against immigration, she was against people coming in who couldn't speak English. They formed ghettos and that they stuck together and all that sort of stuff. She actually also said she also believed that Australians who were already in Australia of ethnic background were very good Australians. Now, I think what she said recently about Muslims is actually a way of how she has developed this more nuanced approach. Where she said, oh, I don't know if there are any good Muslims. It was not oh, we've got to ban Muslims from coming to Australia because they live in ghettos. She was just sort of tapping in to obviously a sense of Islamophobia after the Bondai massacre. Now I think that this demonstrates she is prepared to keep up the same message, the message from that original speech, but she's doing it in a different way. She's doing in a more nuanced way. And the other thing that I think is interesting is that her first speech and her first years, her first decades, it was all about Pauline Hansen. It was the Pauline Hansen One Nation Party. It was FOM. It wasn't just on, it was FONM. And she recently has realized that with the growth of support for One nation. She needs to gain some credibility. It's not just good enough to be a party of protest, a party of grievance. She resents the fact people call her a populist party because what she's trying to do is change that view. I mean, she plays with populism and says, oh, aren't we meant to be popular? Aren't politicians meant to be popular? Well? Yes, but populus means another thing. So it has to start to get a different view of what One Nation is and what Pauline Hanson is as well.
Speaker 1: I guess populism is saying things that are very easy solutions that you have no capacity or real intention of putting into effect. For example, well maybe we should just hang all the criminals, or maybe we should just turn away all the immigrants. So when you look at her policies on the One Nation website, now the first thing you see is the family tax policy. This is about income splitting. This is a very old debating politics, Tennis. You must need a trigger warning before anyone talks about income splitting. But basically, it's if a couple earns two incomes, you can combine those incomes and then average them out so that you can access more family support. There are things like constitutional recognition of free speech. There is abolishing the Department of Climate Change means testing the NDIS so nowadays, would you characterize those policies as kind of pure populism with no real practical possibility of either being accomplished.
Speaker 3: Or working well. This is another thing where she has changed. She has recognized that just being grievance and protest party is not enough, and she is putting out policies family income splitting. Ironically, she's also talking about abolishing the Climate Change Department of downgrading solar and wind so it doesn't take up agricultural land. These are all very popular policies in the regional areas, but she is actually putting these up as policies because what is hurting her And this is the line that Matt Canavan, new Nationals leader, has used. She hasn't built anything in the years she's been in politics. There's not one road, not one bridge, not one dam she can point to and say I did that, And so she realizes she needs to do this. And the irony here is that with income splitting. Various people have looked at this over the years, including Peter Dutton, who also, by the way, wanted nuclear energy and less emphasis on renewables. So in a way, Pauline Hanson is coming in and eating Peter Dutton's leftover at lunch. You know, she's just picking up on that, but she can see that she needs that credibility. Now part of that as well is her adoption, not just as the policies, but the personnel. She now has Cory Bernardi in the Upper House. In South Australia, she has former Deputy Prime Minister and National's Leader Barnaby Joyce in the House of Representatives. She has now two former ministers in coalition governments representing her party and it's interesting to see that she's been able to pull them around her Now people are saying she's always had this problem of translating polling support into seats, and she's achieved this in South Australia. Well, actually, when you look at it, she still has a real big problem. In lost in translation because one got more primary votes than the Liberals, much more. The Labor Party lost some seat and the some evidence of course that some of those loss of votes for Labor Party went to one Nation. And yet what's happened the Labor Party has increased its number of seats. The Liberal Party is holding on and may actually end up with more seats than one nation. So what we are still seeing is a problem that paul Enhansen faces, and she will face in farrh in the by election and in Victoria in the state election. There is that she still hasn't convinced enough people in the right places to change their vote to one nation. She says, I don't want to be prime minister. I don't want to be a leader of the opposition. But she wants to express herself for Australians. Okay, that's good, but she can't continue to do that unless she is credible alternative to the parties she's out polling.
Speaker 1: Coming up. What the major parties can learn from Hanson. Every so often in the corporate world, they come up with a new obnoxious phrase. It used to be moving forward, which we saw politicians adopting very keenly. Now it's thought leadership. Everyone's a thought leader all of a sudden, and Pauline Hanson kind of is a thought leader, isn't she.
Speaker 2: I've led a lot of the policy and the agenda for both the Liberal and the Labor Party over the years. I was the first one to come out against the Voice. Also, you know my opposal to the COVID nineteen jab Then I've got the code of conduct for these sugar cane growers. I got the Senate inquiry up into the banking system, which led to the Royal Commission, the Family Law Act. There it goes on and on.
Speaker 1: She has captured a kind of vibe about patriotism and optimism and plane speaking and so on Trumpian kind of vibe that the Coalition, the Liberal and National parties just cannot get. Is that the lesson for them that they need to be talking more about ideas, maybe even instead of policies.
Speaker 3: Could I just say, I'm so sick of off ramp. There's off ramps all over the world. I'm sick of off ramps. I wish they'd take an off ramp on thought leadership. You're right, because the difficulty for the Coalition is that they are a party of government, and so when the decision was made to oppose the Voice, they had to go through their processes. Pauling Hanson, effectively as an independent loaner, could just come out and say I'm against it.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: The Nationals came out and did it, and eventually the Liberals came out and did it. So she may have been the first, but only because she wasn't held back by any sort of those demands of being a party of government. It's the same with other issues with the net zero Okay, well the Coalition has got that now, and I think again the new leader of the Nationals, Matt Canavan, recognizes this, and I think Angus Taylor is making a bit of a mistake if he starts to attack Paul Enhanson, and certainly not to attack Paul enhanced supporters. You know, someone suggesting, oh, we're not going to talk about deplorables. Well, if you're talking about deplorables, you're talking about deplorables. The danger here is that the Coalition has to go back and say, well, actually we looked at income splitting, we are looking at income splitting, we are not adopting a net zero target, we're doing all these other things. So it's the advantage that she has where she can operate like a gorilla and she can then just come in, do what she wants and duck out again. So a bit like swamp fox, you know, she can come in move against the other characters. And this is the other thing where she has changed, because initially she was talking about the swamp. She talked about it before Trump did. She talked about in that initial speech fat cat bureaucrats making money telling people what to do. And now she is actually in a position where she has to actually start to act with a little bit of the idea of the apparatus around her. And so I think this is where the Nationals and the Liberals need to say, yes, we've been talking about this, we are talking about this, get out there with policies, because it's not rhetoric that will defeat Pauline Hanson as far as the coalition parties are concerned, or Labor for that matter. And South Australian Premier of Peter melanowskis said that you don't attack the supporters. You try and appeal to them. You offer alternative appeals to them, whether it's patriotism for progressives, and interestingly the Premier of South Australia was citing Henry Lawson. I don't know if they really want to go back into Henry Lawson too far. Wide Australia just ann you know.
Speaker 1: Exit ramp.
Speaker 3: But I think it's great, Henry Lawson being quoted Matt Canavan quoting Banjo Patterson. Great, that's all to be done. But these are things that need to be tapped in. As you say, clear, they need to be offering some sort of a vision for people, and people feel without hope and that's why they have turned to one nation. It's a quick remedy, but it's one that they can recognize. It's simple. But her leadership has changed, while remarkably the times are fitting her new appearance.
Speaker 1: Well, Dennis, you've hit all your key performance indicators, so thank you. Your deliverables have been met, so thank you very much. Dennis Shanahan is The Australian's National editor. You can read all his analysis anytime at the Australian dot com dot au