Speaker 1: If you had a goal for yourself, if you're a parent, if you want to be the best dead you can be, or you want to stay healthy, you want to run a half marathon, or do background with your kids, or whatever you is, why would you not support yourself? What would you sabatize.
Speaker 2: Yourself or what can you mad man welcome creating Vito.
Speaker 1: I have been referred to as the mad sideist. I'll take it as a bench of honor. I think that's okay. I'll tell you a big work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you are a mad scientist, but not in the way that people think about. So you're a scientists, you're a pharmacist by trade, right, but you've also been done bit a building. You've been a property developer, an entrepreneur, you're a public speaker. I met you on the circuit. But you have this kind of hobby of doing mad shit.
Speaker 1: I think that's a technical phrase. Yeah, that's the best foot on here.
Speaker 3: It is so talk to. So you do trio running, claiming all sorts of stuff, and you've done expeditions on seven different continents, which is pretty faky cool. Talk us through the highlights of those.
Speaker 1: Where do you start look to give people some context I think to begin with is that I'm not an elite athlete. I like to get that clear out front, like the glasses are fairly thick, I'm below average height. I'm a nerd like fall through and through chess club, debate club, theater club, the whole lot in high school, like you name it. And I really got into running purely because it was the only sport I could do. I was in high school where you had to do competitive sport, train two nights a week, compete in the weekends. I'm too small for footy, too short for basketball, too on co for cricket, so you do cross country running and that got me into running. Flash forward, you know, into a career and you do the usual thing. You know, you're building businesses, doing all the things, and the health gets pushed to the side, push to the side, push to the side, until you get a wake up call one day we go, hey, guess what happens if you with the most money, you don't win. You're just did and that's it. So I decided that I really needed to do something about that because it was going to have an ending that wasn't really great. Like I was very successful, but what else well, my life had no other dimension or color to it. So I went and did a very basic trek in Nepaul, purely as a way for escapism from the corporate world. And I loved it and loved how it maybe feel. And I came back and went, well, what's next. And I went and did the Kakoda track. My grandfather fought and rebell and New Britain just north of there in World War Two, so it retraced his footsteps. I did the co Coda track. I loved it, went what's next, and just started to iterate, no plan, just well, the next hardest thing would be this, and the next hardest thing would be that, and a few years down the track, next thing. And I was catching a flight on this this Russian Eleutian military cargo jet out of the southern end of They are there, Oh my god. Yeah, and we're not talking. Oh'm mister Watkins. Twelve b you know, three rows down the left. It's like, get in, find a wooden bench seat on the right, you know, between all the cargo that's strapped in the middle, and hang on. And we flew six hours from Puntarenas in southern South America into Patriot Hills and Antarctica, and I've got my passports stamped at Patriot Hills and Antarctica. Caught a flight on a twin out to base camp. It was myself, three other people and a lead guide and we were there to climb the Vincent Massive, the highest peak on the Antarctic continent, unsupported. Just us and what you brought. Yeah, I was a complete move. I said to the guide, you know, what's the time zone here? And he's like, mate, the sun never goes down here, like there is no there is no there is no time zones. We climb for twelve hours, we sleep and we eat, and we get up and we do it again until the job's down. And this was way back when it was wasn't very commercial. There was no fixed ropes, there was no like. It was just we're going to tackle that headwall. Yeah nothing. It was just we're going to tackle that headwall until we get to the top of it. And it takes as long as it takes.
Speaker 3: And how much claim experience.
Speaker 1: I'd only done two our three reasonable climbs have done Mer Peak in Nepal, which is a mountain but the Nepalese referred to as like a small hill, like it's about six thousand meters but very basic, really touristy kind of thing. You can walk up and down it. That's fine. I don't kill him a jar in Africa, And I'd had a failed attemp on Akin Kagua in South America, which is seven thousand meters above sea level, which is a different kettle affairs. And I've done some training in New Zealand. I've been over to South Island, done some cravas rescue stuff and just tried to fill the talk kid with the skills. But like I was on that plane, that Russian military plane, and I'm looking around at the guy's next to me, like on their sweating bullets, and the guy next to me is asleep. And this guy summoned ever six times, and this guy's on his third trip to McMurdo, And I'm like, what am I doing? You're an idiot, You are so out of your death. But then we spend nearly the best part of the month, like we had about forty fifty kilos a year per man just and you're just hauling it just to be the backpacking it or hauling it in a sled, and we literally get to a point and we got out of base camp and the guy had got his GPS out and he walked us around. He said, dig a hole there. So you dig a hole, and here's all the supplies that he'd left there last year, food, everything, And I'm like, just leave it here, and he's like, who's going to nicke it? Mate, Like there's no one here, likes.
Speaker 3: No wildlife, and it's not good.
Speaker 1: It's not going to go off. I'm not going to bring home. We come back and he's pulling out like these yead lamb sunks and red wine that have been free cryovacked and froze it up, and he stashed them there, and he's got his tents and his cooking year and all that kind of stuff. He said, we just bear it in the ice. We'll come back next year. I'll get you goons to dig it up, and we're good to go. So yeh, God, fair enough. So you just you end up finding yourself in weird places, meeting really interesting characters, doing things that you never thought you would ever do. And I think for me, that's really been the line that's gone through all of them. Just it's not about telling other people what you did. It's about I went to do that because I wanted to have that experience in that place for me. And if no one ever knows, that's fine, and that really adds color to it, I think invadues to it.
Speaker 3: And so talk us through. What were the conditions alike? You were obviously there are at a good time of year, but good time of year and Antarctica can be a little different, right, Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: It was minus forty pretty much twenty four to seven. Now we had we had three men to a tent.
Speaker 3: And when I'm no, no, I'm sorry, I've got some American listeners on this podcast. So minus forty categret.
Speaker 1: Minus forty seven grade, it's minus forty fahrenheit. It's the same that the graph crosses, yeah, which is very convenient. But about minus forty is the same in both, which is nice and handy. So it's about minus forty most days. Now, we had we had three men in a tent. Now in the tent, the amount of room is if PT needs to go for a leak and a toweling outside and you can't go, then the other two of us are just going to roll over and give him a little bit of room. To deal with it has to do, and then we'll all roll back and have a really uncomfortable conversation. But if we slept in that tent for eight hours, the warmest we got to the tent was minus eighteen. I think we got the inside of the tent to minus eighteen. And we operated in that for weeks. And you just part of me loves the discipline of doing that because you can never turn off. You have to be conscious of what you're doing all the time. You know, you drop a glove down a glacier, may you're you're in trouble, like you have you got the right gear? You can't just pop into the local arii and buy another glove. That's not happening. You've got to be Have you got the right gear on? Have you got the fluid being managed? You're overheating, undercooked? You always have to be paying attention every month. Are you going for a leak? Okay? Have you got your boots on properly? Do you know where you're going? If it's a white act? Do you know how to get back? Just everything minus simple things require total focus twenty four to seven. And I find that really fascinating, just as a scientific experiment to see can you have your mind in that space all the time. So you're twenty four hour sunlight, which sounds really great until like day four or five and your brain is like, what the hell is going on? Like this? It really started to throw your brain out after a while, Like it seemed really cool the first night, but after a few days it was just I can't sleep. You don't know what time of date it is. You know, you don't know what day it is. It became quite quite weird to have your system completely utterly thrown out like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And what most people don't realize is you're lots of yourselves were on off certainty and cycles, and you've been bill if you're getting up in the middle of the eight and it's bright, us, tell me this what for something like that? What's more challenging? Is it the physicality or the mental side of things?
Speaker 1: I always revert to the mental side of things. Physically, it's extremely difficult, as you would expect, and in all those expeditions, you know that there will be a point where your body says, you can get stuffed. We're not doing this, like we're just bur We're not doing it anymore. And then it really is about having the mindset and the framework upstairs to go, well, no, we still have to execute because we're still here. Particularly in an expedition like that, you can't leave, you can't go home, you can't quit.
Speaker 3: I was supposed to say, when you have no opdate, it's amazing what human beings are when they can't say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, and like you can say you're done, but you're like, well, particularly for us, we're doing in both that expedition and in Denali in Alaska, you're roped up for glacier travel, so you're in rope teams of three or four people. There's no eye. There's just neither we can all do it or we all can't do it, but there's no Well Steve can do it, but Paul can't, so Paul will sit down and wait. No, no, no, no, no. We're together, everyone who is focused on everyone else. And I know you guys met each other in an airport hangar, you know, talketner in Alaska a week ago, but now you're tied together, and if one of you screws up, someone might die. So I really need you to pay attention and I really need you to trust each other because we're not this isn't again anymore. So I find it is a very delicate balance. You've got to bring the talk kit physically to be prepared, but you have to have your mental point, really your mental game really on point, and it has to stay on point all the time. And that doesn't mean you're David Goggins the whole time. There's a lot of gallows humor and there's a lot of there's a lot of dark laughter and all that kind of stuff because you have to balance it out so no one's getting up and going, you know, full Goggans all the time. It's really a balance of we've got to respect the environment. We've really all got to deliver. We're allowed to have a laugh along the way as long as we all know we're doing what we need to do.
Speaker 3: And that gallual humor is extremely important right in those dark situations and people if you go I remember doing helicopter starch and rescue and turn my first gig and putting dead bodies into the aircraft. That the gallus humor was a little bit shocking to me initially, but then you know, it's a copying strategy, right for that sort of stuff. And particularly when you're in shitty situations, the ability to just laugh at each other and laugh at the ridiculousness of your situation, and the fact that you choose to be there, right. It's the stuff that just keeps you.
Speaker 1: We're acking Kagar, which I mentioned in South America the second time I was there. We got to a camp and there's a camp three, which is the second highest camp is called helicopter camp. And when you get there, there's two parts of hell. There's two helicopters just strewn across the landscape and everyone ties the tents down to it. So what had happened a few years earlier, Polish team had got stuck called the ranges for help. The Rages sent a chopper up, the chopper crashed, everyone died. They sent a second chopper that crashed, and then the ranger said, stuff, you're on your own, you know, figure it out. We're not sending anyone else up there. So you're up there, and you know six thousand there's probably five and a half thousand meters by sea level. They camp tying your tent down to like road of blades and half an engine block and just you're doing that, going this is ridiculous. You go, but these are the environments you're in, and I love part of the fact that it is so removed from everyone else's sense of normal. But when you come home, you've been completely recalibrated. And maybe that doesn't mean you integrate to the society well when you get on quickly, but your perspective of what's normal and what's difficult and what constitutes hard has now been completely recalibrated. And I think that's what serves you extremely well for the rest of your life, whether you go do something like that again or not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent. The other thing I wanted to tap on that you mentioned was that level of trust. I remember having a conversation with Red Crawford, who's a good better mine. He's ex Lieutenant Colonel Sas and we were talking about a high performance teams model for pat Lend Chilney and right at the bottom of its trust and he had introduced me to it and he said, Peter, you're going to love this because he says, you'll see so much of what we had in the military as a nut model, that level of deep trust. Right. So in organizations, I often say, if we've worked together for a decade. We have what's called predictive trust in that I kind of know how you're going to behave in certain situations, and you know how I'm going to be heaving. That gives that level of trust, But this deeper trust is based on you know, healing back the layers of the onion and seeing into somebody else's soul, right, And I think probably the experience that I had was combat survival and Resistance to interrogation training and the guys that I was on that course with a particular guy, I was buddied up with, like just the depth of trust and the connection, the human connection that comes out of that, Like is that something that you found that those people that you've been on those expeditions that you could then see them twenty years later and it's just like yeah.
Speaker 1: Two wise. I mean, one is I can predict how you're going to behave, but I also get a feeling for when you're not behaving within those bands. So I got something's wrong with Pete. That's not a normal action for him, so that I can then intervene to go, hey, mate, you all right, like is everything okay? Do we need to or do we need to pull you out of this scenario, like you not only know how you'll react, I can identify when you're out of bounds, and I know that, hey, you might need to make to step in and give you a hand here and see how you going. And I've seen that on expeditions where we've had early in the expedition, the guide will absolutely flog us like and people are like, what is going on here? Like we're not we're not late for a meeting, like why we gave absolutely gun? And you realize it kind of I need to see what happens when you're exhausted and you're not happy about life. I need to know who's going to crack it, who's going to go, well, that was a rough day and be fine. We need to kind of sort a little week from the chaff, because we are only together for say a month on this hill, but the second half of that month is going to be deadly serious. So I need to sort out a few things before we go. So it's interesting to see how those people operate because they don't have ten years to figure us out. They've been handed a bunch of randoms and they need to assess them very quickly. From both the physical capabilit and a mental and psychological capability very quickly. So what do they do. They put you through a hard time quickly and see what you're like. We can quickly assess Okay, who's got the physical fortitude, but how are you going to react mentally? And then I could go, okay, well that team's going to be that team, and that team's going to be that team, and you and I are going to sit down and have a very hard chat about with your going any further on this hill at all. And it's interesting. I love that because you realize the guides are running a commercial operation, but they're not treating you like, oh, you're the customer, and the customer is always right. Love guides rip clients to shreds because they did one stupid thing, and they're like, well, you just endangered all of us, and I don't give a shit how much money you paid. I'm going to tell you when you won, because that was just not in line with what we must do to execute what we need to do here, and that was that was a great wake up call for me too, just to see how people at that level operate. You're right, it's a fascinating insight.
Speaker 3: I remember a conversation with doctor Stanley Beacham stand the man who I love, and we were talking about discomfort, and he said that he said, what most people don't realize is that in order to live your really best life, every now and then you need to walk right to the edge of yourself and stir into the abyss and work out what the abyss tells you and take it on board. I assume you've stirred into the abyss once or twice. Talk us through. Give me, give us an example where you were right at the edge of yourself and and sort of took something on board or learned something.
Speaker 1: I describe it as you have to go all the way to the very back of Ukrainium, all the way to the darkest little spot. And if you go all the way back there, there's a little room and there's something in it that you've kept locked away for a long time, and every now and then liveful demand that you have to open that room and let that guy out and let him do what he's got to do. And that I refer that as the lost Savage, like they're just the barberia and up the back in the cave that you've locked away, and every now and then you need to let that guy out. So I had I had an ultra marathon in the Canadian Arctic in twenty Yeah, of course it's it.
Speaker 2: Not just an ultra marathon, but an ultra martha.
Speaker 1: Didn't give it. You're any pt Do you want to give you the specs? Six hundred and fourteen kilometers single stage, single stage. I put you on the start line points at north and we start an eagle planes in the Yukon and then they send you north six hundred and fourteen kilometers to the little Inuit village of Tuck, which is on the very northern end of Canada. Like there's Tuck, there's the North poland then there's Norway and that's it. Now it's single stage, so you operate twenty four to seven. There's no stopping overnight. You operate day and night. You want to sleep, get you give your bag out, light out on the ice and have a snooze. We don't really care. And it's self supported, so you can take anything you want.
Speaker 3: You can everything.
Speaker 1: You've got to drag it, you gotta carry it. So there's you. There's six hundred fourteen kilometers there's a twenty five kilo sled and there's you know, two hundred and fifteen hours to get the job done. Have had it, young man, And the average file rates eighty percent. So in the first seven years that they ran the race, eleven people finished in total. So yeah, totally, so it has There's only been six winners up until that point because most of years no one finished. There was just like one hundred percent no one, no one made it to the finish line. So I'd attempted it in twenty seventeen and DNF to two hundred and fifty k's in like just battered, broken, frozen, starving, hallucinating. This is so beyond me. I'll never oh my god. And I went back in twenty nineteen to reattempt it and that's another story. But I got three quarters of the way through that race and had really reached a point where you know, you're completely for I was, I averaged. I was getting twenty minutes sleep mid morning, twenty minutes in the afternoon, and forty minutes at night. And that was on purpose. That was my structured sleep plan. And that's that's in a divvy in the snow. So you do that and you do that every day, seven days a week until the job gets done. Now you can do that for a period of time, but towards the end, I would just start your body would just start packing it in. We we'll wake up. They kick in kind of day two, day three, but we're day day five and day six. And the guy who was coming behind me, he said to me after the race, we had a chat and he said, I could see your sledge tracks in the snow, and he said I would watch them and they'd be straight and then they'd waver and then you'd do circles and then you fell over, didn't you. And I said, yeah, because I'd black out. I'd just wake up and I'd be just face down in the snow, so you'd get up and you'd just charge your head. And I reached a point in that race going your body's completely shot. But I actually had an opportunity to win it, like I was at the front of the field. So you had to have that whole conversation with yourself going how important is it to you to win this? Because where you've done everything right, We've got to this last little point, but we're going to have to do some things that are beyond uncomfortable to finish this and to get over the line in time. So what I talk about is I split my mind into there's the mind and the body that's kind of seeing and experiencing the operation of the race, and then there's the other mind that sits up the top here, and that mine's in charge, and it looks down at the meat wagon and says, the meat wagon's going to do what it's told and we don't really care what happens, but we're getting the job done. And that is the mind that you have to listen to, and it just tells you to do what to get done. And so I crossed that finish line. It took me one hundred and ninety five hours to get from start to finish. I at sixteen hours sleep. I got to the finish line. I couldn't feel anything from the back of my neck to the top of my butt because I've been dragging a sled. You just have that little bit of flexion all the time because you're leaning forward to drag a sled, and over time the muscles have got tighter and tighter and tighter and tighter, until that actually blocked the nerve transmission because just on the surface Laider, all the musculars are there. And I said to the medic, I'm like, I can't film a spine that is that okay? He's like, totally fine, totally normal. Three to six months, don't worry about you. You'll be fine. She'll be good. He was right. It took me nearly six months to get full feeling back. But that was a case where I really stared into the abyss and went, well, how bad do you want it? Because you're just you're going to have to break a lot of stuff and not all of that stuff will repair. How far do you want to go? And I'm like, I'll burn to the ground. I don't care. Like, let's go. This is my one chance to do something that insane, and so I did. I stared in the byss, I went all the way to the back. I dug to the bottom of the well and opened that door and let that guy out and said have at it and do your worst, mate, Let's just do it. And we did. And yeah, I dragged that slid for one hundred ninety fty one minutes and I was the second Australian to ever finish that race and the first Australian to win it. But you had to let the air, you had to let the savage guy out of the back to get it done.
Speaker 3: You've won the freaking rest. That is ridiculous. I mean, they're stirring into.
Speaker 1: The They're throwing yourself into.
Speaker 4: Stirring into the well, they're stirring into the Paul Watkins the Best, which I think is just orders of magnitude removed from me.
Speaker 1: Now here's an indication of how how wrong I can be. That I finished that race, and then a year later I went so I won that. Now I'm a scientist, So did I figure out the equation? So the hypothesis was, did I figure out an equation on how to win those kind of you know, super long, super technical, super cold races, or did you just have a lucky day. Now you're a scientist, you know the only way you can test a hypothesis is to run an experiment. So I went to Sweden in twenty twenty three and did a very similar race with the sole purpose of trying to win it to see did I figure out the equation? Like, am I good enough? Do I know how to do this? Or did I just have one of those days where everyone else fellow. So I went into a five hundred and three kilometer ultra of the Arctic in northern Sweden last year and tested the hypothesis. And you burnt a few neurons and did some synaptic pruning with way excessive sleep deprivation and dragged my slip for eight days and still in the podium.
Speaker 3: So again that's that's another same thing as just you sleep when you want, but you Yeah, it was a different.
Speaker 1: Race in the sense that it was full back country wilderness. So this was in the Laplandian Arctic, so full back country wilderness like here, there's no map, here's your GPS. You know, figured it out as you go. And they'd said to us, I said, look, if you get into serious, serious trouble. You were crossing huge frozen lakes and trying to get over frozen rivers. They said, if it really goes wrong, hits your emergency button. But understand that the first person to rescue you will be you. It could be a day before we can get a snowmobile out to you, so figure it out until we get there. So this was a slightly different environment in case of going even if you wanted to sleep. Some times you're in areas where you can't just put the BV down because you're on a frozen lake. You can't stop here. You must get to the other side of the lake, which will take you most of today or tonight or whatever it is. So sometimes the case, if you want to sleep that cool story, you literally can't. You must stay awake until you get to an area where it's going to be safer to do that. So that logistically was a slightly different scenario. And I'd gone there attempting to win it. That original race in twenty nineteen, I just wanted to finish it, but ended up winning it. This I went through with the mindset of I'm going to win this, and that is a very different mental toolkit to bring, and it's a very different set of pressures to place on yourself right from the starting gun to play it out, and I had a very different experience. I came second in the end, but had a very different experience mentally. I ended up in a very dark hole early on because the race had gone not well for me individually. I was getting whipped and found myself way down the back of the pack and just in all kinds of diustrates, and then had to figure out a way to dig myself out of it hole and get myself back in a position where I could operate in the manner that I wanted to and execute the way I wanted to. And that was a that took a long time. That was there were some dark nights in that. I can tell you. Yeah, when it's you know, minus thirty and you completely exhausted and starving, you're like, this is this is not happy to This was not on the brochure or when I signed up.
Speaker 3: So, Matt, what sort of techniques do you have for overcoming this? Because most people really struggle with getting out of bed at six o'clock in the morning to go and do a workout, and they have this internal dialogue going on in this internal fight, and sometimes they win and sometimes they lose. But somebody who has has taken human endurance, both physical and mental to the end degree, what sort of things have you learned about the self talk? You know, the mental models, how all of this place that some people could actually use for them miseage.
Speaker 1: This is I love this. So you can you can go as deep down the rabbit hole as you want on this. So We'll start with the easy stuff and we'll direct to some of the deeper stuff if people want it. Some of the easy stuff is, let's talk about getting out of bed early and staying healthy. People think discipline is I've got to be Jocko or Goggins, or I've got to get up and at four point thirty and run a marathon and cold share and have a kal shake, and you know that's here discipline. I like to reframe discipline as an act of self love. If you had a goal for yourself, if you're a parent, if you want to be the best dad you can be, or you want to stay healthy, you want to you want to run a half marathon or do park round with your kids or whatever it is. Why would you not support yourself, Why would you sabotage yourself? Well, it should be an active self love. I'm going to get up at six or five point thirty and go for a walk with a dog or do this or whatever it is because it's in my best interest. Because I love myself. I want to be the best version of me, and I want to have that run with the kids, or I want them to look up to me, or a want a wife to go, wow, you look fantastic, Like it doesn't have to be heart angry and sad. It could be about celebrating the fact that you really want to be your best own champion. So for I think a lot of people, if you rephrase it that way, it reframes it in a manner they can understand, and it becomes a little bit more workable than what a lot of people are sold on social media about what being discipline needs to be.
Speaker 3: And I love this because then it's not a chore. Right. So when people are framing, and this is what often happens, whether it's weird, most are getting in cheap and their goal to do it is that I don't want to die, I don't want to get this chronic disease and all of this, and it's not it's not the right why, and then the action becomes a chure. I often talk about connecting stuff to your values, so you know what are your value and I think you're very similar. So it's self love and it's linking into values that are impotant to you at a deep Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And if you want to go, if you're looking at it from an expedition race, So why am I am I connected with myself to achieve those things is understanding how you got there in the first place. So when it comes to like big mountaineering or big races, I have a two step model for how I decided when I'm going to do those things. So let's say I see a race like I'd love to go do that. The first thing is you can't tell anyone for thirty days. Just think about it, and at the end of the thirty days, reflect how much did you think about it? And if it only popped up once or twice, it's not the thing. If you thought about it every day, okay, it's a thing. And then the next question is the hard one that you have to be really really honest about. If you could do it and no one would ever know and you can never tell us all, do you still want to do it? And you have to You've got to be honest because then when you go, it's for you. So when it's shit and it's you're at the bottom of the well, you'll go because you wanted to be here and there's no one You're like, I put myself here because I wanted this. Well, guess you're now getting that. So away we go, and if you're really honest with yourself, you avoid doing dumb stuff that you don't need to do. So I've used that for every expeditions. I've been invited to climb every three times, and three times I've said no. First question was a yes, I thought about it all the time. Second question was a no. Why do you want to go? Because when I do keynotes and stuff and people ask you, I wanted to be the guy that said, yes, I climbed it. Well, that's a terrible reason to go. That's probably the worst reason to go, because when the chips are down, you don't have any drive Internally, it's all about seeking validation from others, and that will not work. So the answer has to be no. You have to say no, sorry, I would be doing it for the wrong reasons, and the flipper is, of course, wouldn't.
Speaker 3: Just before you dive enery further. This is a little bit like the stoic philosophers who they talk about being good even when nobody is looking right, and it's because that internally it's ket intrinsic to actually good and have good character, and when no one's looking doing that stuff, and that's why I really love that.
Speaker 1: Sorry, So, yeah, Hamberway, because we can go down some really interesting rabbit holes and then you can get really into that. I mean, I recently read Dr Schwartz's book The Mind and the Brain. I know we've read that. It was fascinating. So he was he was a guy's treating O c D and then dys lecture, and he got deep down the rabbit hole of you know, the quantum state of the mind in terms of the fact that your thoughts. He was proving that your thoughts can actually have physical changes in the brain that he could measure through scans. So it really comes to that.
Speaker 3: It's just Jeffery swats Yeah, yeah, yeah from l I saw I saw him tap. That's that. I think he wrote a book called Brian Locke as well. Yeah, I boad all CD because I think he has all CD. Like, as he was talking, I'm like, do you you solved the rub?
Speaker 1: He did? He did. He was fascinating. His book was fascinating, but he was he was really getting down that rabbit hole of and look, he got deep into the quantum physics and mechanics of it. But the high level is this the talk that you have in your brain actually will physically change the structures of your brain. So if you're having the kind of discussions you want, then you're going to get the outcome you want. So for me in those races, simple things like any time we came past a medic crew or you know, a local, or any time anyone asked you how you were, the answer was, I'm fantastic. This is great, regardless of how deep in the hole you were. The discussion must be positive at all times. And it's true, like you've just got to keep telling yourself, I've got to be disciplined. You've got to put the zips back in the same spot every time, because day seven, when you have the IQ of a small rock, you need to know that the zips are there because that's as far as you can get. So every time I do that and force yourself, and every time you force yourself to eat, I'm doing this for future me. Future means is going to go. Thank god that guy kept subtling calories in even when he was frozen in his hands didn't work. Thank god he put this in the spot because now we're at a blizzard and we're freezing. When you the bivvy out, I don't have time to figure out where you left the zip last time, Like you've got to have that discipline because you are pre paying it for yourself later to come back and go, thank God yesterday me did that because I'm loving him now. So it's just there's a whole bunch of tool kits. You can put little things you can put in the toolkit and you pick them and you use them and they stack. There's no one big ticket item. It's a million little ones and you stack them up and they all start coming to play when you need them.
Speaker 3: There's two things I wanted to talk about there, and one with you seeing when people ask you how are you feeling, it's going to be fantastic. This I think is something everyday life right. And I've been telling my kids this is that when people say to you, you know, how are you doing, a lot of people go oh good, I oh tired. It's like I remember made the mind Jeremy who said this crazy professor who actually hired me at usf Wels guy. The first time I met him, I said, oh, Jeremy, hey you do and he says.
Speaker 1: I'm fabulous, and I was here we go.
Speaker 3: That's fucking awes like this guy, right, yeah, yeah, and just that you know, it's like, I'm fucking awesome, right, It's it's it's so much better than the kookie cutter. Oh yeah, I'm good. Or you start to complain, which is even friggin worse because your brain is going to commit sales to whatever you're paying attention to, and your thoughts as you say that, repetitive stuff. So that that's something that's really interesting. Right, even when you were in this ship storm and feeling awful, you're still going, I'm fucking awesome. I'm awesome. So that that's that's one thing and the other one and this is a this is a little rabbit hope we can go down. You talked about future me right, really interesting research from hal Hirshfield. And I don't know whether this is where you got it from, where you just came up with this by yourself, but he was a a psychologist who was looking at human behavior and took a bunch of people in the States who had their first job and they had to fill out the four to one nine K, which is where they commit part of their savings or not to their version of superannuation. Right, So it's voluntary over there, unlike mandatory here. And what he did was everybody went through that scenario but had to wear virtual reality reality goggles, and they saw themselves actually going up to the counter to fill out the form. Half of them saw themselves through the goggles as a hologram of them right now, and half of them saw themselves as a hologram of them at retirement age. And the people who saw themselves at retirement dage committed more than double the amount to their savings of the people who actually saw them as themselves. And it was that whole idea of a udgining your future self and doing good for your future self. So that was really interesting that you talked about doing the zeps and eating for future me. Where did you come up with that concept and just dig into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a bit of both. I partially came up with it through training for ultra marathons, and part of it I completely stole from someone else. So the ultra marathon stuff is I look at training as a pre payment of hurt for future events. The more hurting I get done in training turn up to the events, I've already pre paid the pain. Thanks, and I paid earlier, so I've only got a little bite.
Speaker 3: And hard and hard competing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can only fight like your train mate. So for me, I'm out running and I'm pre paying so much stuff here. This will be great future. But it's gonna be really happy. And then I heard it and I it was on. It was Chris Willimson's pot and I can't remember who was interviewing, might have even been Jimmy Carr. Just you know, do something today that future you will thank you for. So tomorrow you will wake up and go, I'm so glad he went to bed early. I'm so glad he didn't eat that, or I'm so glad that he got that job done that we've avoided for ages. So just that idea of do something today that future you is going to thank you for. You just stack them. You just keeps stacking those things up, and all of a sudden, every day you waken up going we're ahead, We're already ahead. I haven't ever done anything yet and I'm ahead, And it becomes a very different mental discussion. And that going back to that mental discussion of saying you're fabulous and what have you. The other advantage of that is it becomes a weapon that you can use if you're a competitive athlete. So I had a case in one of those races where I had caught the lead bunch and I looked at the guy in front of me, and his harness was just slightly off. And we the sleds that we use that we have clips that hold the sled bag in place. One of his was undone and just trailing behind the sled, and I looked at it when I'd never accept that that's undisciplined. He's tired, right, that's a different discussion. So now I know that when I catch up to him and speed and look him by to eye, I am going to put on an absolutely show of how good I feel because and you'll believe it because you've been saying it to yourself the whole way. You'd have to make it up. But now you can actually use it as a tool on the offensive. And this guy's gonna be going crap. He looks great, and he's all it's a tool in the toolkit that you can use to bolster yourself proactively, or you can use offensively if you're competitive to go, we can use this. Our competitors see nothing but cohesive discipline. From the outside, regardless of what's happening under the water, all they see is that cohesive discipline and it just it annihilates them. It leaves you streaks ahead. So it really is that mental discussion and then reframing some of that hard stuff as this, you're going to be really happy about this tomorrow, and in fact, if you do even more, you're going to be even happier tomorrow. Happy do you want to be tomorrow? Let's just stack it up and we'll go from there.
Speaker 3: And do you tend to bring that mindset into your personal life no as well? Or do you just bring that out as a really sharp to use when you need it the most.
Speaker 1: I think if you're serious about it, you can't separate the two, and I don't think you should. I think you either that's your philosophy of how you operate or it's not. Because it's not the kind of thing you can just flick on and off. It's a continue that you will turn the dial up or down. But if you're serious about it, if you really practiced it and embedded it, you can't turn it off. You can put it down to one. And sometimes you've got to turn it to eleven. But it's not something you just go, oh, I'll be disciplined when I need to. That's not that's not how that works, as you would well know, Like it's it's either how you operate or it's not so for me, I try.
Speaker 3: And mold to supperround that exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's how you operate. And that's if it's such an effective tool for the times that are difficult, why wouldn't you embed it all the time the easier times easier? Like it's the you know, that's the tie that rises all boats. Like it's the tool you bring to every job. So why wouldn't you have it operating all the time and just adjust the die Like you know, if you're having fun with your kids, in your home, with your wife, whatever, you probably don't need to go full discipline mantra. But you can still be aware that my kids watch me every day and they see how I talk to myself, to them, to my wife. Dad's getting sweaty on the bike again because he does it every day. So my kids will come out and they'll hang off the they'll throw a kettlebell around, or they'll hang off the bike or they'll do whatever, and I don't mind that, but they go, oh, it's normal that we do something hard and sweaty every day. That's normal. And if we're frustrated, we go outside into the sun. Dad does that every day when he gets getting blowy top. He goes outside with a cuppa and yells at the dog or something because oh, okay, so if I'm feeling that way, I go outside. Yeah, that's that's what we do. Okay, So they pick it up.
Speaker 3: Our kids don't do some what's what we say. They do what they do, what we.
Speaker 1: Do, and they see everything, they miss nothing at.
Speaker 3: All, that's right. Yeah. So all the people, all the parents who are concerned about their kids being lazy and undisciplined and mental health issues, is like, examine your own behaviors. Examine your own behaviors around around exercise, around nutrition, around screen time, around your sleep paging, because as you say, they peck everything up everything normally.
Speaker 1: Whatever you tell your kids it is normally is whatever they say. And if they think, well, normally is you know, we don't sit at the dinner table every night. We see on the couch and we need this, that or the other, and we've got the TV on it, what have you. That's not our kids normally is family dinner seven nights a week at a table, no devices, no screens and anything. That's normal. That's just what we do. That's that's how we act and how we operate. They don't miss anything in that regard. I had another point and it's disappeared from them. But yeah, that was that was really sorry.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about a word that we both love, anti fragility.
Speaker 1: We just warm up.
Speaker 3: I'd tell you what I'd tell you. That is the word that I wish that I had come up with, antichid. Yeah, you're so talk us through your view of anti fragility? Is it in need? Is it learned? You know what?
Speaker 1: Is it hard?
Speaker 3: Does it extend into life? Just just give give us, give us that that Paul Watkins rant free reign on anti fragility that the guard reels are off right.
Speaker 1: So welcome to Peter's five hour podcast on any fragility. Prepare yourself. Let's go. So let's I like to use an example that people can wrap their heads around, because it's a weird concept for some people, they can't get it. So let's not talk about any fragility for a sec and let's talk about Let me give you a model, So let's think about health. Okay, So imagine a continuum from left to right. So one end we've got sick, and in the middle we've got well, and on the other end of the spectrum we've got fit. So we go from sick to well to fit. And you can map on that continuum any number of biomarkers, you know, blood pressure, resting, heart rate, cholesterol, whatever you want to put on there. Now, if I'm fit, for me to get sick, I have to go through well, if that makes sense, I have to almost degrade to being well before I can gets sick. If I'm just well, only one step away from being sick. So you want to be as far up that continue of this end to give you a buffer in the middle. So let's keep that continuum and change the words on it. On the left is fragile. If I drop you, you break. In the middle, I put resilient. If I drop you, you won't break, You'll just be okay, you won't move up or down. You'll retain the integrity you had before. But that's not the opposite of fragile. The opposite of fragile is I drop you and not only do you not break, you actually get stronger because of the experience. And so that's where I want to be. I want to be. How do I get in that cohort of people who the harder it gets, the better they get. And most people have that buffer for them to be fragile, I have to go all the way through being resilient and get all the way back. So my argument is that resilience is really important, but it's leaving an enormous amount of money on the table. We've missed the entire upside of the discussion of it's not enough to survive. You want to be thriving, because if you're resilient, you're only one step away from being fragile. And it's a continuum because you move. And that's okay. There will be times when you're anti fragile and times when you're just resilient, and times will we're fragile, and that's part of the human condition. That's okay. But if you're continuum only goes from fragile to resilient, you've cut off half of the opportunity for who you could be and what you're capable of, And the discussion is very different. If I'm having a discussion with PT about being resilient and I'm capping it you can survive this, versus having a discussion about what is the toolkit, what does the mental and behavioral models look like that you will thrive in hard environments. That's a whole different discussion. And then you start having a whole different discussion in your head about what am I capable of? What's at the other end of that spectrum that I haven't even considered yet that I need to open myself up to. So that's where I like Andy fragility. It really takes us away from this just the well being and resilient conversation to the no, no, no, no no. There's a whole other end of the spectrum here. So the discussion isn't I phrase it this way. The uncomfortable conversation that people won't have is people don't want their lives to be easier. They actually just want to be stronger. That's what they really want. But will you spend a lot of time going I wish this was easier, or in a corporate environment, how do we make it easier for PT? How do we make his job easier. He doesn't want it to be easier. He wants to be stronger. He wants to be better at it. And if you have that conversation with him, now we're having an entirely different model, an entirely different framework and discussion around that, And suddenly PT is not going. I got better at it because they made it easier and they lowered the bar. I got better at it because I'm better at it. So give me some more. Let's go, let's see what I can do next. So for me, I think it just opens up this massive conversation about where we go beyond resilience.
Speaker 3: That's yeah, no, no, basically yeah, Now admit you are. I'm going to give you a new nickname. You are the harmatic cure.
Speaker 1: Does that make me stupid?
Speaker 3: Not not at all? So hor me say so, are you familiar with the science of me that sub lethal exposure to stressors or toxins, which at very at high levels can kill you, but at low to moderate levels induce stress resistance. And this is what we're talking about, right, aren't The fragility is stress resistance. It's and I like to talk to people like the athlete doesn't go and trainin to stay the same or to bounce back and be the same. They trained to get bigger, faster, stronger, and that's that, that's that stress adaptation that anti fragility really encapulates. And I mean we are in violent agreement on this. I think resilience should not be the end game. The end game should be anti fragility, stress adaptation, or meat harmetic response, whatever, whatever terminology you want to use. Post traumatic growth, Yeah, yeah, absolutely, there is a lot of literature out there about post traumatic growth, but everybody talks about post traumatic stress to sort of. But I think the critical thing for people, and you know, we've talked about it a lot, is your mindset when you're going into it right, and that you know that comes out of the hardiness research about viewing things as challenges rather than read and loss and looking for the opportunity for growth and actually leaning into discomfort. It's so well summed up, and you are the kind of walking poster boy for this. But Epictetus said we must all undergo a hard winter training and not enter into lightly that for which we have not prepared, and he was talking about life.
Speaker 1: I remind myself that I'm running the rind Any in the Southwest Coast. Two degrees of Advice. Yes, Epytus would be.
Speaker 3: Proud of me. Okay, Bunny, absolutely. But and as you say you're investing in your future, you're prepaying the heart. But that I think what a lot of people don't realize, and this is the thing I've been thinking a moment more, is that it's a combination of two things to get to a point of anti fragility, which is where we should all be. Is it's a combination of a mindset and all the stuff that you talked about, but it's also about knowing that you can achieve that stuff, and in order to do that, you have to do hard stuff. This is where I believe and I think you'll be connected with this, is that so many parents are fucking up their kids' lives because they're helicopter parent in them. They're trying to save them, they're rescuing them from discomfort. And you do not grow in the absence of stress. That is not an environment for personal growth. You know, if people think about the stuff that they're really proud of, it's stuff that is freaking difficult, that's hard, that we overcome that's the.
Speaker 1: Best chapters in your story, and we should. I always try and point out from talking to parents, like you know asterix On that to do parenting well, it's freaking hard, Like it is really really hard. So trick yourself, guy.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 1: The parents that have you got screen time, ountder control and got their kids well behaved, all that kind of stuff. The lucky Yeah, how do you get you behave like that? I can tell you how relentless parenting like that's what I do. It's freaking hard and it's soul crushing some days, but that's your job, like you owe it to them to put in that effort. So put in that effort. And it is really difficult, and it's saying no a lot, and it's being not liked a lot, like I say that. You know, my oldest, my job isn't to be your best friend like some days, it's to be your worst enemy.
Speaker 3: Mate.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, but the answer is no. Do it all, my well, youngest, I'm bored, Dad, good, what am I going to do? Figure it out? Mate? You've got a room for the toys. If we live on five acres, go talk to the sheep. I don't know, I mate, Go figure it out. I'm busy, Well, I'm being bored.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like that, that is that is the exact response.
Speaker 1: That congratulations, Now go away, go.
Speaker 3: And get curious.
Speaker 1: Right, That's the thing.
Speaker 3: But also, and I love that concept of relentless parenting because it is frigging hard to reis will. And I think it's harder than it used to be because there are yeah, there are so many more challenges, you know. I also say, and every parental say, jeez, life is so much harder when we were growing up, right, And it was in a sense because we all had to walk thirteen miles the school, yeah, through snow, yeah and burfoot. But we never had all of these temptations, right, We never had all of this ultra process food that just hijacks kids' brains and once they've had it, that's all they want, like drug addicts. We never had the whole social media stuff, the video games that are just unbelievable that once a kid does those, they don't want anything else. Like, we never had that stuff. Our parents never had to deal with that, And that's why I think you're right. We have to be the relentless pont to. And I always say that you're not their friend, you're that parent. And I think that's an issue. That are an error that a lot met and it's hard.
Speaker 1: You've got to respect that. Like you said, with all the video games and social media and all that kind of stuff that's nefariously stacked against you. That's not just oh, it's something in the environment that we've got to deal with. No, that's that's targeting people and a lot of the kids to pull them down the rabbit hole. Like it's actually working against you. So you need to be active. Like our kids wanted to get on YouTube, so we will do YouTube. Kids will have a look at that. You think that'd be fine. And I look at it and I'm watching the kids watching it with the kids, and it was chock full of ads and they're all food ads and the food was horrendous. I'm like, we're done. And the games it was promoting, We're out. We're done. Nahe like, it's just I'm sorry, that is not healthy for you. And I always argue that we're not. I guess we're not depriving our kids of social media. Okay, kids have screen time because I need them to learn how to self regulate on social media and on technology because that is the world they live in. See the world as it is, not how you want it to be. My kids will grow up with technology in social media, so my job as a parent is to teach them how to self regulate in that environment, and we have to expose them to that, but do it in a manner where they understand, where when they get frustrated, Hey, mate, you're looking a bit angry about that game. What do we do when we feel like is it making you feel good?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Dad? So what do we do? We turn it off on a guy outside and yell at the dog. Okay, well, let's go outside and yell at dog. You needed to kind of have You've got to have those discussions, let them get to that point and then work through it with them and go, okay, what are your strategies? Mate? What do we do and we don't feel is it making it feel good? No? Turn it off and then it's gone. Oh I can turn it off down and walk away. Yeah, you're in charge, mate, But that's parenting. You've got to be there to do that.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent. I mean I've had something very very similar recently with Oscar being on his video game because we were eight and he was on for heaps of time and we came home and he was just in a shitty mood. He was grumpy, and then he realized that it was being on the screen right, and we had that exact conversation. Let's come back to the stuff that you've been going through, so talk us through the third man effect.
Speaker 1: This is terrify. So I did not know what this was until two weeks ago and my wife sent me this article about the third man effect and she's like, that's what happened to you last year. Oh so how to read this? So I'll tell you what happened and I'll explain the third man effect. So this was in this race in Sweden in March last year. So up in the lap landing Arctic, I got to about four or five days in super sleept a proble. We're way past hallucinations. Like I know, as when I do these races, part of me, the scientist's brain, part of me loves watching my body devolve as it goes through the experience. So I know, night one you're going to hear stuff. It's not night two. Here come the visuals, the lights. You see some weird things. We know they're not real. Night three. Everything's real. It doesn't matter. There's a dragon, giraffe, people are trying to kill me like you name it, it's all happening. I got you about day five, and I was really pushing her because I was trying to get up from the field and trying to survive. The conditions were horrendous, and I remember one night having this overwhelming belief that there was a lady behind me. I couldn't see her, but I knew she was there. I felt quite calm about it, like I wasn't worried, you know. I wondered like is this the wood sprite spirit of the lapland an Arctic or something. But it got to the point where I would stop and make a freeze dried meal and I'd be halfway through it and I'd go, oh, I'm sorry, and I'd turn around to offer a food and feel like I was a terrible host. That's how real she seemed to me. Strong, and it had some longevity to it. Look. I got to a checkpoint and there was a wooden bench seat, and I grabbed two hours sleep on this wooden bench seat, and I woke up and The first thought in my mind was, she's still outside. You didn't ask her in. Get outside and make sure she's okay. Like it. It's not like you got some sleep. And the whole thing went away, and I got ever, said to my wife and my dad said, for three days, I felt like there was a woman following me. She was not protecting me, but I just felt comfort that she was there anyway. The year lady, she sends me this article third Man effect. So polar explorers get this a lot.
Speaker 3: And what it is.
Speaker 1: Your brain gets to a point in an extreme duress, psychological duress, it will create and manifest a third person, another entity that will the idea being that it provides you comfort so that you will sustain and continue on. So rather than just stopping and freezing to death in the snow, your brain says, there's someone Here's it's all right, there's someone here that your friend. We're going to be okay, keep going, keep going, it's all right, there's a friend with you. We can feel positive, feel that positive energy and move for it. So looking back, yeah, my brain, I knew she wasn't real, but she also seemed very real to me. But that's what it was my brain had constructed this, this entity as a last ditch psychological protective mechanism to go, keep going. It's going to be okay, there's someone here.
Speaker 3: Jesus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't know what it was at the time, but apparently it's it's the third man effect. It's and and polar Explorers on you know people trudge into the South Pole of the North Pole or whatever. Said, yeah, they've they've experienced it. When you really bottom of the well, the brain's going, We've got to do something here. What do we do? Let's get an imaginary friend away you go.
Speaker 3: That's amazing. I have hallucinated on Day SAVEN of combat Survival and Resistance to Interrogation training, but nothing like that there. I was probably on your day two because it was tough, but not not freaking tough, and it's fascinated.
Speaker 1: I have memories that I know are not true, like I very vivid, clear memories that I know are false. And I have had experiences out there that I can't verify, like I've had interactions from like I have. Because you're alone, you don't see another human for days sometimes because you're so sparsely separated, Like I have no way of telling whether that person that I spoke to was real or that thing that I saw was real, I've got no I could argue either way. I can't verify.
Speaker 3: It must be really interesting for me as a scientist to be observing this stuff, right, it's like, wow, yeah, it's really good.
Speaker 4: I had.
Speaker 1: I did a full complete interview mid race at a checkpoint with a German TV crew in Northern Canada, right in like I was. I was at a checkpoint, chatting the guys at a film guy camera guy do with a mic, blah blah blah. No one can verify it. Everyone who was there is like there was no one there, mate, Like I've never found the interview. I can't find eve when I was smoking to you you who else saw that?
Speaker 3: Did do?
Speaker 1: I get interviewed by the German film crew and everyone's like, well this is awkward, Like okay, this is very awkward. Like I to this day, I don't actually know whether it happened or not because I can't verify it, like no one else saw them. I've never found the interview. But to my like I can, I can picture the three guys there like we were the Checkbob was a shipping container in the Arctic, and I was there getting changed, eating the freeze dried, and the cameraman. I'll go to my graves not knowing if that happened or not. I have no idea. I don't know. Maybe why were they doing I don't know, Like what's going on in my brain.
Speaker 3: Is brellidant. So man, this stuff can can be addictive, right, what is next to you for you? And and like what's your thought process about this sort of stuff? And and is there an end game? You know what? What kind of goes through your head when you think about the future.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a it's a really important question. Hung my boots up from Higltitude mountaineering because you know, I got to the point where I was watching them longline the bodies off and you're like you you're going up there next, and you're like, how far a dore you need to go here? Like when you're a single guy, it's different. You can just keep pushing the chips all in all the time. But you get married, you have kids, and I always explain to people like, you know, I'm doing keynotes and these photos look amazing, but I got the photo. But back home there's all this cast of people who are not getting cool photos for Instagram, who are working their ass off, so I can go get that because you know I'm away, which my wife works full time. She's a school principal, so she's now juggling full time work and two kids. And you know, my parents are helping out. Her parents are helping out. Like You've done all this training, and I do a lot of my training at night. Logistically it works, but there's still sacrifices that you're not at home because you're off doing epic training runs and all this kind of stuff. So there are people now paying costs for you to do some of this stuff. So hung the boots up going, I can't just keep pushing the chips all in. But then found out had a weird skill set, very good in cold where the very good hauling heavy loads can go very long periods of time doing that. Is there a place I can use that in? Yeah, Arctic ultras. Oh cool, didn't even know that was a thing. And away you go. And then part of it is why do you do these things? Well? I do them for me because they're the only vehicle I've found where I can dig all the way to the bottom of the well and see who's there. But for me, it's a very almost spiritual kind of thing. It's a physical thing and it's a mental thing. But it just reminds you when you go out there. Mountains don't care about your business card. You know, the Arctic doesn't care what you earn. It doesn't give us stuff how many followers you've got. It's just did you do the work to earn the right to even attempt this, And then when you're in the middle of it, let's see what you're worth and see what you've got. So for me, there's that experience, But then you get into that thinking, well, now I'm doing these races and I'm pushing to get to the very end, like there's international fields and I'm pushing to get right on the podium, and that comes at a cost. I got back from that Sweden race last year and for a few months I had trouble with people's names, Like I'd get a surname or a first name, but not a full name. So you're like, I think we might have earn a few too many neurons out that's the decoration.
Speaker 3: And that extreme I would like to see mri Skut would impulse.
Speaker 1: It's an empty cabin. So you do you go, well, okay, why do you do these things? You're like, okay, okay, to push yourself and to have that experience in that place that's really important. But you know, I'm forty nine now and I'm in good nick. I think I can still operate at the thin end of the wedge for a period of time. But I'm also starting to think now about you need to have a strategy to transition to go. You need to still go and enjoy them and come away with some gratitude and have an experience that justifies your sacrifice and the sacrifice of those around you for you to do these things. So there's that that balancing act, and I'm still navigating that. I don't know what the answer is. I will continue to do stuff, much to my mother's She's like, what's next. There'll be something, There's always something. You're always planning something, you ought to be something. But for me, it's a case of make sure that the reason that you're going to make sacrifices and other make sacrifices is a valid one. It's good enough. So for example, to do another cold race, for me, doesn't really stack up. I've done three major ones, I've podium two of them. What am I going back to prove? Are you going to learn? Well? Probably not. I'm not going to learn much more doing that. Okay, If you're going to go through to that level again, do it in a different environment so that we're back learning again. Otherwise you're actually going to sound silly if I go to another six hundred klometer arctic ultra. That's a comfort zone for me almost because I know what to expect and how to operate. So you should go somewhere and do something different because that's where you'll learn. And that's your job to keep learning and discovering stuff about yourself. So try a different hard thing. So for me, I'm just trying to navigate that. What's the next hard thing that's the right hard thing and a work wild hard thing but respects everyone in my circle, And I'm trying to navigate that. I don't know what that looks like yet, but I'm enjoying that process, you know, love the process. I always say the start line is a celebration. It's a celebration of all the work that you did to get there. So enjoy, find the love and the enjoyment and the value in the work. And then when you get to the start line, that's that's the celebration. You aren't the right to be here. Celebrate that and then go execute.
Speaker 3: Very cool, very cool. Indeed, last question, how do you still down?
Speaker 1: Very very valid question.
Speaker 3: PT You've got to plead.
Speaker 2: I'll let you know.
Speaker 1: I'll let you know. I don't know. I always joke going, you know, I give people who journal and do cold pungers and they say I give them a hard time, you know, tongue in cheek. I don't, you know. I post up the day like you know, I didn't write my journal yesterday. That's now seventeen, three hundred and eighty three days I've missed, you know, in a row. But some people journal with pen and paper. I journal with a pair of runners and VO two. That's my journaling. So for me, sometimes the training isn't just training. That's what I do. That's part of my identity. I get out and I go for a run every day. And sometimes that's very focused because I've got an event coming up, and sometimes it's because that's how I best operate as a human. That's my operating system. So I journal outside with a pair of shoes. Other people journal with a pen and paper. That you find your thing, that's okay. So for me slowing down, do.
Speaker 3: You find just a distance where the runners high kicks in for you?
Speaker 1: Not particularly?
Speaker 3: No, you know that that kind of casar chic like chilled out stuff that a lot of runners talk about. I don't run anywhere near enough to find that.
Speaker 1: No, for me, it's more it's more the environment. So for me, I love like if I head out, you know, pre dawn getting it because I'm in a rural area. You get out and the sun's coming up and you're running through you know, paddocks and cows and sheep and all that, and you're like, damn it is this Like you get to do this? You have a functioning body. I'm like, you know, I joked that I'm not elite, like you know, I've got chicken stick legs and thick glasses or whatever. But imagine how many people would give anything to be in a position where they could go out and walk that or run that, and you can do it for your own free will? How do you not do that? So for me, it's more about I get to do that, and the sun's coming up and it's and it's it's a beautiful part of the world. And there's a lot of parts of the world that aren't they beautiful. Shit, it's pretty cool hearing it. So for me, it's really just there's no if I do twelve k's I hear, you know, harps and violins. Now I just get out and some days ship and some days you're like, how good's this? Like that? I don't know whether it gets much better than this, you.
Speaker 3: Know where we go?
Speaker 1: How lucky are we?
Speaker 3: Very cool? Matt, you are definitely the epetome of anti fragile. We could talk for the herculean hormatic human, but what I really love is the filhilosophical insights that the a that you have learned from being an addict of stirring into the abyss. Right, THEO used to do it once or twice in their life, but you do it routinely. But just how you've actually taken that and and and formulated a whole philosophy. But also for helping others with with corporates and with school kids. So if there's any principles out there, if there's any corporates out there, Paul Watkins is the guy for your next event? Or can people find out more about you and the crazy ship that you do, but also any any any offers and lessons that you have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Paul Watkins dot com dot IU that's my website. You can find the high level details there. I'm on LinkedIn a lot like a lot, so I post, I write a lot there and I write on sub steck as well. But look find primary Paul Watkins dot com that I use. Find me there or find me on LinkedIn, and from there you can pick your rabbit hole and go from there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this has been absolutely awesome, so thank you.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me. I don't really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, it was a It was a wonderful conversation. Absolutely loved it. So I think I think we'll have to do this again at some stage. If we mustn't go down a rabbit hop.
Speaker 1: If we might, we'll solve all the world's problems. Make give us another hour, we'd have most of its sort.
Speaker 3: And already indeed, all right, man, thanks for your time and have a great text.
Speaker 1: But I love it. Thanks