Speaker 1: Appologie production.
Speaker 2: I need your advice.
Speaker 1: Are you okay? What happened? Promise it won't be too much. Bring it in.
Speaker 2: Welcome to our bestie segment, my girl, this is the place for you.
Speaker 1: Hello everybody, Welcome back to another bestie segment. Today is quite a long story, so buckle in, but it's a very interesting one. I feel like we're going to have very interesting perspectives on this. Yeah, but thank you once again for being so open and vulnerable. If you're new here, we're in your ears four times a week and on a Tuesday. It is a bestI advice segment. So basically, for anyone who wants our perspective on something, maybe you don't have a close circle of friends around you. Maybe it's something you want to keep it a bit harsh because it's your close circle. You don't want to knowing all the details or something, but you want an outside person's perspective. Take with a grain of salt or hopefully it lands. But get into today's episode. Let's do it. My amazing husband, who was a very involved father, partner and the absolute love of my life, was recently offered a happy ending slash hand job at an Asian massage shop. Bearing in mind both of us have used the same establishment for deep tissue massages and found it completely above board and fine in the past. Without thinking, he said yes. As the massagers started to get closer to his package and he had become erect after a minute or two of the hand job, it was obvious his post massage erection was fading as he now was actually realizing the enormity of his choice. The therapist then began to perform oral sex on him without asking. After thirty seconds or so, he asked her to stop. It was clear he couldn't become erect again, and he also knew he'd made a really poor choice. He tells me that when he said yes initially, he said yes with curiosity and not much other thought. Delving into this moor, he also felt a desire to have attention spent on him, as a level of intimacy in our relationship was a little low at that time, whilst we were fairly stressed and sleep deprived from having kids and hectic work schedules. He tells me he had zero emotional or physical connection to that therapist, and I believe that upon leaving, he was asked to pay two hundred and fifty dollars cash on top of his regular massage fee, despite no actual happy ending, and went home feeling so much shame that he got straight into the shower and proceeded to catastrophize for the next fortnight about how he should tell me and how he might lose me and our two kids under six due to his poor choice. By the time he told me what had happened, a fortnight had passed, and in that time he'd been driven to the point of planning his own suicide as a workplace accident to avoid the shame he felt that he was going to be bringing into our relationship to further his psychological stress. He had a rash pop up on his genitals and rushed to the GP for an STI screening. When he finally told me this information, after a fortnight of his intense anxiety and being completely alone in all, I was deeply shocked. The hardest part was also knowing he waited a whole fortnight to tell and what he had gone through was all alone. We previously both had loyalty as a true call value, and in the ten years we been together married and had kids, not once had I ever seen him look at another woman in the form of attraction, etc. Given my gauge on who I believe him to be, I chose to respond with compassion for him a man who was a good man who made a bad choice, and it had paid for his choice over the last fortnight, where he clearly was not himself, was not sleeping well. I had noticed that, but thought it might have been just general stress, and had even considered on how to take his own life and make it look like a workplace accident, so shame was not brought to our relationship for his choice. In the moment, I hugged him, I told him that it was going to be all okay, and I was so relieved he hadn't ended his life. I was also relieved that the cheating was more of a business transaction than a true emotional or attraction based affair, where I would have been one hundred percent done with a relationship. He cried and was very emotional. He was also very open with me. He told me he was willing to answer any questions I might have now or even in the years to come, as he realized these could still pop up. He told me he takes one hundred percent responsibility and his choice wasn't a reflection of our relationship. He was very surprised I decided to stay and work through this together, as his inner critic is often very loud and had convinced him that I would leave him. I think I surprised myself too, but I also could see that this could either break us or make us stronger as a couple, and the perhaps we needed to really take stock of each other's needs that maybe might not be getting met prior to this incident, which he was very sure to totally take one hundred percent responsibility for his choices. After a few months of me processing and coming to terms, I felt able to be intimate with him once again, and our relationship has healed stronger than it ever has before. We've both grown in terms of being able to voice what our needs are and not push them aside. We've become better communicators, and I'm truly glad that I made the decision that I did in staying. We have both had individual and couples counseling around all and it wasn't easy at times, but I'm glad I made the choice that I did. We've both been cheated on in the past, and so this was always a hard no for both of us. So it's totally new territory for me to be able to allow any kind of rule bending. I definitely have left if it was an emotional connection, or if it didn't show the devastation and responsibility of his choice. But my question is what would you girls do in this situation? And I wonder if these dodging massage shops are more common than we realize. Question Mark. I'm interested to hear all of your thoughts or what I realized might be a controversial choice that I have made. I'm sorry for the long story. Firstly, You've got nothing to be sorry about. We actually much prefer long stories and more context. We love it. We feel like we can give better advice. Everyone writes in two sentences. We're like, we don't have enough context in your opinion, you know. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Firstly, Wow, For one, you sound very self aware, which is amazing, and it sounds like, even in the beginning of your relationship, like you guys have a very strong foundation. You've made a very conscious choice to be with each other, which is the first thing.
Speaker 1: I thing what you guys have been through is so inspiring. I'm in awe of you both. I think even the way you said, like a good human made a bad choice, I just think you've navigated this so beautifully, both of you. Like you both sound like such fucking amazing humans, so self aware. He took full responsibility. Yeah, he made a bad choice, but it was over very, very quickly. And I just think you've done it perfectly. Yeah, I didn't even have any further advice of I would have done this, I would have done that. I think I probably would have done exactly what you've done. Yeah, although I think I probably would have had a bit more anger first finding out, but then in saying that if your partner is saying they were planning to commit suicide, maybe I wouldn't. Yes, that's so freaking sad yeh. And with the ghost show, how much he regretted his decision, how much he cares for you and the relationship. And I just think you guys have navigated this so beautifully. I'm so glad you sent this in. Yeah, well freaking done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not an easy thing to have to navigate. So it's really not and it's as you can tell. You can see that you've taken time to really make the decision that you've made, and to think about it and to make sure that you're not making any irrational decisions, making any decision based off emotion. And you know the fact that you guys have gone to counseling and you've addressed it with a third party, with the mediator, is a really good way to go about things when you're navigating with relationship struggles. I think that's really cool. I feel like I have betrayal wounds and things like that, so I think for me, I definitely would have allowed myself to process more of the anger and to be seen in the hurt. And I feel like you, by the sounds of it, it sounds like you did do that. Yeah, I would agree with Actually, I feel like I would have a lot of anger and stuff like that I would have need to work through. But also the good human making a bad choice. And I think we're not perfect humans. We fuck up, we make mistakes, and I think there's the reality of it is that no one is perfect in any given relationship, and we are in some way gonna hurt our partners even if we don't mean to. And yeah, I just think that it did really well.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, it's a tricky situation. I think you guys did so well.
Speaker 2: I think it's cool that you reacted based on the caliber of the situation. You know within yourself that if he had cheated and it was emotional connection and genuinely had like an affair, then you would be like, that's my limit, that's my boundary, I'm out. But given the situation and he came to in the moment and realized, oh shit, I've made a really terrible decision and it lasted thirty seconds or it happened in the spur.
Speaker 1: Of the moment, and it caught himself.
Speaker 2: Came from curiosity, he caught himself. Yeah, it took accountability for that in the moment and obviously stopped things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then came to you after. I think every relationship too, goes through so many different things, like when you're in a long term relationship. I haven't ever been through cheating, but I do believe everyone is capable of change, and everyone is capable of making mistakes. You know your strong boundaries. Like for me, definitely, emotional connection of cheating would be an absolutely, I couldn't go back from that. But something like this, I think I think I would have done what you've done, and I think I would have stayed and all the evidence of ten years of amazing relationship with strong foundations, and you know what, sometimes sometimes shit happens and breaks down so that you guys can work through things. And it actually brings so much more to the table as to what was underneath all of this reading in that you guys were not intimate, you were stressed, you were tired, and you weren't pouring into each other, and then that curiosity to get the better of him. So now it's like, Okay, you've learned how to communicate. You now know what your needs are, what his needs are. You're going to talk about that all the time as your season has changed, and that's really cool. Now that's a skill you probably didn't have before. So it's like everything happens for a reason. So much good can come from mess and chaos and shitty situations. You can learn so much from it and grow so much from it. And that's what you guys have done. That's really cool. I love that. I admire both of you. It's really cool. That's awesome. Yeah, so thanks for saying in and well done, and yeah, you asked what we would do. I would have done exactly what you've done. Very cool, King and Queen. Well done guy, Thanks for joining us and was he tomorrow? Bye bye