Speaker 1: You're not well.
Speaker 2: You know, I think I've got the COVID.
Speaker 1: That's what you said to me today. I said, here and I laughed, and I love you and I'm your biggest fan. You know that, right? Yeah? But like, how six years on from COVID nine and how how you've come to the conclusion I have COVID as opposed to just a common.
Speaker 2: Flut could be. Look, I've taken you cues off your mum, and your mum is I don't know you guys really aware of this. Your mom is a hypochondract Oh, I've never heard a person every single day, Oh, I'm coming down with something. I'm sick, but I'm not usually sick. But she said, oh, do you know there's another COVID outbreak? It's rare. And then as I sat at coffee, Yes, you've definitely got I'm running with you.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you as well? Also love the Tony Star classes that you have under day?
Speaker 2: You know why? You know what? Over the last two days, I've lost two pairs of glass Now, yeah, what these are my final one just misplaced? Yeah, just a misplaced. I had him had him on my shirt. One just fell off last night and I don't know whether other one say so, gone to my.
Speaker 3: Last he was at he was at the ivy last night, Cooper, Yeah, we had the ivy last night.
Speaker 1: How well is it was it busy?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: It was, yeah, it was. It was a party, a party, a party from our builders. The builders had a party and they invited.
Speaker 1: It's just a little bit of us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. Just carve a little bit off the.
Speaker 1: Just on hypochondriacts quickly. Where does Trish sit in regards to your brother Andrew Johns Because you always talk about Joey is the best, but Trish is bad too. If you had a sort of a gold and silver metal Who gets that?
Speaker 2: They are so similar in so many ways. And look, I'm going to give an inside here to the listeners. Joey and Trish used to just hate each other. You know that. Yeah, I know. They used to fight mate all the time. While she gets because they're the same person, excuse me, they are so similar and so we'd be like remember once for a chief's wedding and and Joey was carrying on and did something with Trish geest just settle down, a little loser. Joey just exploded and then another time I was away. I was in Melbourne and Joey was on the drink and they come across each other and they're out anyway. She was like, she goes, are you Andrew? I don't think you have any more to drink? You said, don't tell me what to do. And she goes and she goes, well, your brother's not going to like that, and he goes, bloods thicker than water. Yeah, he bloods thick at the water. Yeah, they really went at each other.
Speaker 1: I can see that happening. I can see that happening, and.
Speaker 2: So yeah, both they're both helped the condracts. Probably a dead heat. I've told you before about the story where I was in the sheds and they'd feared I broke him a neck in the game and I'm laying down. I'm laying down literally on the table. Joey wasn't playing, but he was there watching and they're going and the doctor's in there and it turned out was really bad nerve damage. But I just had no idea. It had the neck brace on and the doctor goes, just give me your hand, give me your hand here, do you Maddie. I just want to get an idea on this can you feel any tingling in your ride? And as I was about to wear so, Joey goes, I can, I'll get tingling in mind that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I love your saying. It's so true. He's the He's the brided every wedding and the corpse of every few is literally as well, Matthew. I don't know if you saw it, you're on social media.
Speaker 2: Hey, I love it. I'm really really I'm digging the Blues tracks.
Speaker 1: That I was just about to bring up, mate, because yesterday come out. We've alluded to the fact I did a motivational speech. I'm known from a speeches but on the show did you show it on the show? Well, I did a motivational speech for the for the Blues this week. A lot of our listeners getting in the comments of the of the video saying mate, like we had a lot of Coensland are saying they're motivated, but they're saying, if you so Wells can't get up for this, well, then they can't get up for any.
Speaker 2: There's no pulse. If they can't get up after that speech, there is no pulse.
Speaker 1: Literally.
Speaker 3: I loved your connection to the like the organ the heart. Were you talking about blo. Blood cells are blue and then when they don't turn red till they've got the oxygen within the body.
Speaker 1: I wrote all that very s did you. I wrote that because that's always stuck with me that I learned it in science class. But it's not until I think it. When it hits the arteries is when oxygen is in the same sort of vessels blue, and it changes it from.
Speaker 3: Blue too, because arteries are pumping away from the heart, whereas veins are pumping to the heart because they need oxygen.
Speaker 2: Jack, Jack, you should have listened in Signs Jack every single day. I was so proud tonight after they showed that on that clip. When Hemmy brought it to the show, I finished, I was just dumbfounded, and I said, God, sometimes you look back and you think maybe we should have sent you to private school, just spent that a little bit more money. You're an idiot.
Speaker 1: So I thought you were proud.
Speaker 3: Well, they had to spend double bubble on my school fees.
Speaker 2: Yeah, against Saint Augustin's. But I don't know what went wrong with you, brother?
Speaker 1: How are you looking at Jack on? Yeah, Look, let's start with the biggest news off the top right we're going to talk. We reacted to the new show Ails team last week. We're going to have another reaction to that, as well as the Queensland team that came out after we did our podcast. But Ethan Strange, they're saying maybe a little bit of doubt. He rolled his ankle a couple of days ago. He was filmed. He was actually in a moon boot. Stranger.
Speaker 2: You said like there was news tonight, that there's news tonight.
Speaker 1: So tomorrow when this comes out, they have their training session. Obviously the day after Tuesday did a captain drum before State of Osion Wednesday. But tomorrow they're going to they're allowing him to do sort of a fitness test and if you can get through the whole training with the team, then they're going to allow him in. Matt Burton is still on stand by potentially to take that spot, though it'd be a big even though he us on the bench, be a big loss in my opinion.
Speaker 2: Out to big out given I reckon Laurie, he's got some big plans for him. A little bit later, we'll talk about let's assume he's going to play. I want to got a little bit of something left field for it how I use him. But they deciders are always really really special.
Speaker 1: You played, did you?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 1: You played what three games of Origin for four four? And do you play a decider?
Speaker 2: Play decider? Eight City Football Stadium. We played the first game. I only got on for about six minutes in the first game, but I got dropped. What they never dropped Joey. They always just dropped me.
Speaker 1: What a six minutes was that?
Speaker 2: It was six minutes that will never be forgotten, John, So, So what happened? I dropped for game two? By the way, we lost on the bell in game one, like we've we've got the whip hand, and Joey went for a repeat set literally like thirty seconds for full time. It bounced off I think it bounced off Benny Aikens leg. He picked it up through it to someone. They just did this speculator kick which bounced over Tim Brash's head. They got the ball back and went and scored it under the post, full field try, full field try, and then they kicked it after full time and they beat us. So in game two, the boys went to sun Corpse Stadium and beat them, and then we go back to again. I'm not I'm not named in this side for game three. So the night before the game we had we weren't playing Newcastle that weekend because they did the split rounds with the state of Origin. And so I went out and had a meal with Crowe and a couple of boys, had one of a couple of beers. Nothing heavy, just just a couple just cleansing Yale and I get home and Laurie rings me Laury and Joey yep, because Laurie's the captain. And he rings that says, hey, Maddie, I don't know. Has Tommy contact coach Tommy Donicas? And I said, nah, he has made Toobs was really cruel. He's talking might be out now twos was hooker yea and oh yeah, and I said, I said to him, I said, but look, it's Tubes, like one of the toughest spokes ever to play the game. You'll be okay, it probably would be just putting. We're going to let you know. We're just thrown your name to Tommy. So I'm laying there in the morning about nine I've ever lay in and uh get a call and hello, Maddie, it's Tommy. Oh Tommy mate Toobs is not playing you're in you're playing hook. I'm like, okay, no worries, mate, We've got a team medi at one o'clock needs you down here, mate, And he yells out to Jeff car the manager. What's he got to do right, mate, You've got to go to the airport at Belmont. Yeah, and then mate, jump on, We're got a ticket for you. Get down here, get this straight away. Okay, yeah, no worries. So I'm on the clock, throwing my boots in everything. I go straight to Belman Airport on Newcastle Airport, arrive, walk up and say, hey, you know, just for the the eleven thirty flight to Sydney under the ticket for John's and the lady goes, oh, yep, yep, let me have a look. Oh oh no, sir, there's no ticket there. I went, oh okay. So I ring Tommy and say, hey Tommy, it's Maddie. Mate. There's no ticket. He goes, mad, I don't give a fuck, just mate, just buy your own ticket. I'm going, oh okay, Tommy. So I go there and say can I just buy a ticket? She goes it's the plane's full. Oh fuck. So I ring Tommy and go hey Tommy, it's made, and mate, what where are you? I said, mate? The plane's full. Mate, I don't fucking care. Just mate, just find a way to get on the plane. So I'm going hang up me. What am I going to do next month? The two pilots wore pass and they go, Maddie, is there a problem? And I told them, I said, well, mate, I've been dragged into State of Origin late and I'm going to be down there for the meeting at one o'clock and the planes full. They went, oh right, okay, follow us. So I sat between the two pilots in the cockpit and I made that's you joined them all high club and sat there between and went down Not the ideal preparation, but to see what it was interesting. That was the best State of Origin game I played. Really in that game, I sort of got.
Speaker 1: It and no time to think, probably no time to think.
Speaker 2: I just got down there and just got into it.
Speaker 1: Some of the best daboots people get hurt in the warm up and they don't have any time to think. They just kept throwing straight in the deep end. Did you win the decider?
Speaker 2: No, we didn't.
Speaker 1: Okay, well it's.
Speaker 3: A shame he didn't know ticket man back then, Matthew.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, great point. Yeah you know you bred him. Now can we talk about We spoke about him all last week. The biggest news avenue South Wales. Obviously Brian overs dropped Jack boss Stocks coming to that side. How after a week of sort of pondering on this side, how do you see that?
Speaker 2: It's look you see when it got named, there was a lot of surprises and sort of as the week's gone on, you're thinking about, okay, what's the reasoning and there's no Jack Boss Stock. What he's done. He's just gone. He's gone for a kick target. He's gone for a tick, a big kick target as opposed to to yardage tear. What losing to is going to put a lot of pressure on our middles. Our middles, our middle yardage men are going to have to really just really pick up their act. I mean anyway, but now the extra mile again without there, he's our best yardage man and so boss Stock is. I really liked the selection. However, we've got to get down there. Our yardage has got to be good for us to get down to basically take advantage of why he was selected. Jack, So our yard is shamee. One thing you're going to get through this preview you're going to hear me talk about a lot is play the ball, speed and yardish game. It's the most essential factor in this game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think they'll also think that's why they got blokes like Critter and Bradman just sort of counter. You've got the kick targets of Mark and and you've got jack boss Stock, but your center's getting back for play one and play two. I think particularly Bradman, like low center of gravity and real powerhouse out of yardige. I think he'll be used up quite a bit and they'll meet him a lot have to particularly being on that left side with Jackie Bosto.
Speaker 2: Those that those two hundred meters that always runs. Mate, someone's got it. They just don't look after himselves.
Speaker 1: Did you see him against Souse the other night too? He was really good. I actually spoke to Leam Henry on the radio during the week and he said, mate, Brian to during the week preparation like at Penrith, understandably could be very disappointed with not being selected, but like attitude is bad and after the game they I think you've on interviewed him or something. He I just want to shout out to Jack Bostock, like congratulations, last classy man.
Speaker 2: Class it's really classy. That was like we said about Victor this time last week. Well there when Victor got told he was number twenty and he just went. He could see he's disappointed and he were in the elevator and it was a lot weird and he goes, but it is what it is. I just got to go in the camp and help the boys.
Speaker 1: Classy Queensland for a second, we go on then for one minute. Yeah, the their side, there's not too much coming out of Queensland camp like their side just relatively unchanged. The only thing is Lindsay Collins missing the game.
Speaker 2: Hia, that's a big loss.
Speaker 1: It is Lindsay always lives in that jersey being a great play for Queensland. But Paddy Carrigan off for six weeks Cinders most as he comes straight in off no games. I saw Billy talking during the week said he's pretty well sweet and he seems like the kind of like that's pretty professional. I don't think he would be doing like he wouldn't come into that side unless he was pretty fit. But one I like life for Queensland. I don't like it being he's so well supporter Jeremiah and I to begin Huge in Huge last year, he was really good in the last game as well.
Speaker 2: Has played a lot of football though he.
Speaker 3: Last week's game and Tom Lolo's three hundred.
Speaker 1: Did you see that game?
Speaker 3: See the first hit?
Speaker 2: Unbelievable when he's in the mood like he symbolizes the Cowboys that year when the Cowboys made Final four, he was unbelieve, who's the best background in the compet to mate and then the last three years he's been so inconsistent, more down than up, and so of the Cowboys. So the other night, you know, the way he played and surprise, surprise, Cowboys win. But Billy loves him.
Speaker 1: Yeah's and it was I think it might have been the last game last year and he just went up, like physically went after it. Because when I think of Nana, I I kind of think of the big players. You know, they put a kick up for him and he can just do a lot of freaky things for a big body.
Speaker 2: Sill can.
Speaker 1: But you saw that in a Pandeth game when he went after Moses Liota with that first shot. When he's in the mood like he's going he's really he does the little things really well, really aggressive with his line speed and things like that. So he'll be a big in Queensland.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 1: Look you said last week, I think we had a listening account said that you said ducks and drapes forty seven times.
Speaker 2: Ducks and drakes.
Speaker 1: Ducks and drakes, sorry, ducks and drakes. They said that, you said it forty seven times. Do you think ducks and drakes still on the cards?
Speaker 2: What do I think they'll play Ducks and drakes?
Speaker 1: Do you think that they're going to well before do you think they're going to be playing because you said Cam Murray to start, do you think that, Laurie, are you still getting that vibe?
Speaker 2: I got a Gatfield Hill start, that's it. I do get a Gatfield Hill start. I think I think early in the game they've got to simplify and they've got to they've got to be playing what I called North South football, direct straight football as opposed to trying to push the ball a little bit sideways. So that's the reason. Wouldn't surprise me if Isaiah starts off the bench and they start with with Cam Murray. It also would not surprise me if they start with Adam Vanila Blake and Mitch Barnett goes back to the bench. Yeah, I wouldn't surprise it because you to really art one thing when you play, when you play State of Origin against Queensland and Queensland and these big occasions, you've got to start well, You've got to start well, you've got to take a little bit of air out of the stadium because it maybe if we start slow, make that crowd well, just when that crowd starts roaring and not, it doesn't just lift the Queensland. It exerts enormous pressure on the referee. Referees are any human now and every time that we lay half a second too long Loby screening for a six six again, every time that he gives a six again, and put it this way, that crowd can buy Queensland half half a second lay time in the ruck and for people again that that that is, that's an enormous difference.
Speaker 1: Definitely, And like do we think there's Billy's always kind of got something up his arsenal as well? Is there his arsenal.
Speaker 2: That's a deep cut, this comfortable piece of metal in your what's Billy Jake. Yeah. Gee, this constable, comfortable piece of metal has been in your dad's ass for four years. This state of urgent metal has been Wally Lewis Metals in your dad's ass.
Speaker 1: Do you think do you think there's any drakes with Slatzy as well? I like, I mean, he's there's not really any pressure on them to play ducks and drakes. Like it's hard to sort of you're using that, you're using let's lay off.
Speaker 3: You just learned.
Speaker 2: It's we call it silly buggers this week?
Speaker 1: Is he going to be playing? Do you think Slatsy's playing any silly bugs? That's hard to tell.
Speaker 2: I don't think so, Coop, I don't think so. Haven't looked at their side. They're pretty settled and coming off the last performance, I'm interested to see where at one point then I comes on on onto the field and who he replaces. He can play both sides, But does he come on for Nicker, who's an attack minded player, or cape Well, who's more defense minded.
Speaker 1: I think I wouldn't be surprised if I starts and Nikero comes off the back.
Speaker 2: In just talking about that, I just actually thought the same thing that big strong body.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that was my sort of guess in terms of him playing silly buggers as opposed to lots of drakes. Yeah yeah, okay. Can we also get into a little bit of tactical stuff. How do we think how do we see let's start with New South Wales. If you were in New South Wales, how do you want to play against Queensland going up there? Like, what's what's the tactic? Because I've got a little bit of a theory on where Queensland weaknesses would lie in terms of where you're going to attack, But where do you think they should play coop?
Speaker 2: I think to understand when when you're going to really big games, you have to simplify, right, you got you've got to have a really solid game plan, but it's got to be simple. What happens if you make a game plan too complex? What happens is everyone focuses on the complexity and trying hard, focusing on trying to get this complicated game plan on, and suddenly what happens is you ignore the things that really matter, Like make really simple things make a big difference. Mate, how hard you run on the ball? But that is so basic. You watch Queensland you watch those Queensland players, okay, in that in game two, in that second half, you watch how hard they run, you know, the kickchase, all those those things that are really important. They're the things that win. You're the football game. But it's not a really complex it's not a complex game plan, so really simple. I would scale things back. That's the reason I would not start with Isaiah. Look at that. It's interesting, like at Reece Robson, if you're looking to do that, I would have went for Appy and Brayley. But I can appreciate why he's picked Reeces Robson because I'd say, with Reece Robson, he wants him to just clear Moses. Yet you know the quality creative ball, if that makes sense, as opposed to moving down behalf. And so it's simplicity. I play straighter, I play more more reactive. I instruct clear and Nathan to run more. I want them to run more. I want them to play more direct. And you know, and say with Teddy like take a little bit at the moment. Sometimes what's happening is we get we're out there with two different systems of play. You've got Nathan ball, which is sort of complex and shapes and everything, and you've got Teddy Ball, which is simple and direct. I've often thought, right, let's take Teddy and push him towards Nathan Ball. I'm actually starting to think maybe we scale back the other way. Maybe we scale back a little bit and say to Nathan Listen's let's let's scale back on the real complex shapes. Mate. You've got a really good running game. I mean when we interviewed him here, he always says, I play my best when I run the football, and it's a discipline I've got to remind myself of every match. Well, here we go. If we play really direct and really simple, what will happen is this, we will get Nathan into attack kick position regularly. If we can do that, If we can get Nathan into the attacking position to put attacking kicks in, I think we're in the football game. Yeah, that's so so, you know, I would not be focusing too much on all these shapes and whatnot, you know, and in a certain way too, coops, I wouldn't focus so much on Queensland. I just focus into purely internal on ourselves, knowing that if we got we've got James Tedesko, we got Nathan Cleary, We've got Mitchell Moses, We've got Adam vanil Blake, We've got Pain Hass, We've got Cam Murray. I mean, look at that quality in that team. Let's focus on us. Because we play, we play to our best selves, we win.
Speaker 1: I agree, I actually agree with that, Like in terms of the tactic side, like Queensland do a lot of that. In terms of pickings apart you so Welles have a a a side that is so unbelievable. If you can get their intent and motivation right individually, get man managed the individuals and say hey, we need we need this out here. Simplify their role, simplify their job. And if you can get them like and you'll know from the first at people will know from the first set with their their first action, whether it's defense or whether winding up from the back fence into the defensive line, you'll see where the players and heads are at and how much intent they're going in. I also love what you said with Teddy Ball because I went back and watched I think it was the last game, but the MCG Teddy I think got amnt of match performance like it was. It was maybe five or four years ago when Jack I think James Maloney was the five eight then with Nathan Cleary, Teddy was at the back, and they didn't play that. They didn't play Nathan style of football. They didn't sort of give Nathan the keys to the throne yet, you know, so a lot of it was on Teddy. They just get forward. Damian Cook was at hooker, they'd get forward, get quick, play the balls. Cookie would get out, find Teddy, who would just be on the advantage line. He'd just skip across, making people miss. Came making people miss, and the edges would just push with him, push into space a little bit less in terms of blocks and things like that, but just more pushing into space around Teddy. Because we see it when attacking hookers get like when Harry Grant gets out first of all the wider defenders like B and C because he's so quick, they instantly turning because they shit themselves.
Speaker 3: They got so quickly at the main. Then he slows up.
Speaker 1: And then he slows up, and that's when you see people like Lindsay Collins and back rolls pushing into those spaces where people turning in on Teddy has the same effect. Because people now have hard Teddy is to tackle individually and how quick you can get across the field. Well, we've been using Teddy. We've been using Telly really poorly the first two games, putting him out on the edge and just sort of getting the and then you know, letting, letting the boys go forward and then on a quick play the ball right, we'll get the ball to Teddy like they do with Kalyn Ponger. Teddy's not that kind of player. He's good when he's on the advantage close to the rock yep, and he skips crossfield and makes people miss because you're so strong around his hips.
Speaker 2: Yep. How thick is a defense line one player deep, one player. So if you play nice and direct and you play fast, you only got to beat one man. If you start pushing the ball sideways all the time, you're skimming across the defense, you know, and and it's you're complicating your job. Yes, yeah, you've got to you've got to use the football sideways and that and push the ball create. But we just we weren't playing direct enough. You weren't challenging the Queensland forwards with direct running and these in these days coops jack teams are so defenses are so good at recognizing formations taking shapes. Is that the one thing that probably the most dangerous thing is a man with great footworking speed just going straight at a big man who's tied and just challenging him with his footwork.
Speaker 1: You ask, you ask anyone in the in Rabia League, they go, would would you rather see, you know, a big longside shape coming with Mitch Moses, Nathan Cleary, James Sedesco and you see it coming, you have time to get up and identify it, or would you just the last thing you want is to get back on your heels on the verge. I turn around and you've got like James Sedesco or Mitch Moses on their own, but they're coming straight out here with footwork. You shit yourself because coaches.
Speaker 3: Put it down to a science. Defense to defense at the end of the day, the structure and all the structures you learn risk management, right, it's about minimizing tries, minimizing risk. But you can't really like put it down to a science when you've got a defender guy one on one with just better footwork and better intent, and when you're.
Speaker 1: And when you're fatigued like my one tactic, my one weakness I see for Queensland. If new Is are looking to attack an area, I think their their right edge Nicker, Sam Walker, Robert Toya and Jojo Fafieda. That I think that's the edge, like similar like what they've done with Kayle and pong A on New South Wales right edge when they had Catni Stags there. They'd attacked that space between Nathan and Stags really well, and they just continue going there. Whenever there was a quick playaball, they just pepper that side, pepper that side. I don't think we've done that enough, particularly in and around Sammy Sammy Walker. We know what he can do with the attack, but I don't think there's been a lot of players where they put him under pressure defensively and isolating in one on one. It's got the game three I think they need. That's the space, particularly around him and Robert toy A, two young players, but that I think that's the spot.
Speaker 2: Okay, got something for you then, yeah, still really strange assume he plays. I would love to get Ethan Strange on the field, drilling through the middle of the thirteen. However, we've got Isaia Yale we've got Cam Murray like, it's like, okay, you might be at one point in the game put all the smaller fast blokes on, but okay, so you don't play him there. It's so important to get out there, Ethan. How do I play? How do I play? It's going to sound nuts, might sound stupid.
Speaker 1: He never stopped you before.
Speaker 2: That's exactly. Think about having two sons, that's crazy. I'll just do it. Should know just the youngest one ould I would had little anel birth. People we say that to him all the time, and he used to cry.
Speaker 1: Kid, try that you said, used to tell everyone I was an anal birth. I didn't cry about that. I cried because for years you told everyone I was adopted from Africa.
Speaker 2: Yeah I did.
Speaker 3: And also King Kong two thousand and five, when the monkey died.
Speaker 2: You did spoiler that was probably the most pathetic.
Speaker 1: Was a gorilla?
Speaker 2: He was, okay, Ethan strange edgeback row, But you don't play him like a traditional how we use edgeback rollers with hitting holes. If I'm if he's playing outside Nathan or Mitchell, I'm saying to him, are you either run the football? I watch your food? Ethan? Early use him like a Glenn Stewart type role because he plays nice and direct. He's got great footwork. You can play him on the left side, which will be a left foot in or ballplay, or you play him on the right side and he's a left foot away, you know, to pull that outside man in. I think I think you could use him that way and it just gives you know what it does too, Coop, It just gives he just gives our attack an unorthodox edge, you know.
Speaker 1: And you can even similar like you see the shape that they bring it a lot now they'll feed their back rollers early and they put a block off them.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's what I mean.
Speaker 1: Ethan, Yeah, getting Teddy out in the back of on that left side, Bradnam, if he's on the left edge where Hudson would be feeding Ethan early, have a block off him, but he can just run or he's got that block shape.
Speaker 2: You can form that if it was outside Nathan right they say, for instance, on the right hand side, so you left foot away. It takes pressure off Nathan because Nathan hasn't all the time got to go to the line, try to throw that absolute parce all the time. Just takes pressure off him. In a period of game. That's where you can actually say to Nathan, Hey, Nathan, let's push him backwards and mate, if you like what you see, may take him on challenge them. Otherwise may just feed Eastan a little bit earlier. You know, That's just it just gives something completely different that a lot of those Queensland eage defenders wouldn't have seen or defended before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's something you're hard to coach for.
Speaker 2: It's definitely Stuart's Stuart.
Speaker 1: I like the idea. I think with Hamole. I can't see him doing it with Hamola on the bench. Yeah, I can't see him doing it, but I don't think it'd be if it's particularly if like to replace the Hudson who's a very similar unorthodox style. Yep, it'd be very handy to have him out there.
Speaker 2: Talking about both to the middle again and that you can't put everyone in the middle. I'd love for a ten minute burst with Hudson through the middle. I reckon Hudson will evolve in the next twelve months into a really great middle player.
Speaker 1: Oh mate. His leag speed, strength and just his ability to find and push into space as well. He's not really good football instincts. Just on the other end, do we see Queensland if you're Queen's Land, now Queensland goes, do you see them? They really exploited that the right edge of New South Wales Game ones and game two, that space threen stags and clearing no stags there. This way, they've got Stephen Crichton, who is a known really good strong defender. Do you think all that they're still going to be hammering their guns on that side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they'll go there a lot, because that's Kaylin's sweet spot, you know, and Kaylen you'll see him just sort of, you know, not go looking for the ball. Let the ball find him. He'll sit in that sweet spot and Billy gets them to bring the ball to him in that spot. And so but it makes a big difference having Crichton there. Crichton recognize the shapes really well. He's a great communicator, which takes pressure off Nathan. That's that's a that's a no brain. That's a no brain selection. So I if critic made if he has a if he has one of his as a great defensive performance, boy boy, that goes a long way to win the football game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that I reckon a lot of their They'll marrow a lot of their focus on the other edge, a little bit between. I think Bradman, Best and Bostock a new, a new defensive combination. I think Billy will have a plan to try and exploit that I reckon. We'll see, yeah, because if I'm an attacker and knowing how rangy and long and like awkward Stephen Crichton can make defense, sometimes I think they'll want to narrow their attack around Bradman and Boss Stop.
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 1: I think if they might have some sort of new comer and a debutante winger. You know what people when you have a debutant winger, you know how how hard they go, whether they're just putting bombs up for them or they're just channeling a lot of their attack.
Speaker 2: Down an origin decided at some club stadium. The biggest test talk mate, but something special about him. You just get Jack Bostock mate. Some of the key battles Coope, Liam Martin versus Munster and you know it's funny, mate. Just about every playmaker has a nemesis. Like years ago, Cooper Cronk's nemesis was way Graham Wade used to just mate. He used to just nail Cooper, just knew all Cooper's movements and you know how Cooper would go to the line and made he jam him sometimes in the back and things like that. And when you're a ball player, to let people know when you turn in your ball playing and a bloke hitch in the middle of the back, it's really unnerving because you never know how much time you got now when he comes from a blind spot. That's what Wade used to do with with Coops and Liam. I think Liam's Monster's bogey Man, boogieyman.
Speaker 1: He is mate man, he literally is, and he's uh and he's we know when he gets in that arena, he goes to another level of like his mentality is rare, like so aggressive and he's a real big niggler, like gets straight under monster skin and money has a tendency sometimes to really bite back for a man who's in the halves and quite you know, like got to be creative and think he's got like a quick switch as well. So they always have had a good battle, particularly in those grand finals. I think Mardo's gone after him in a number of those Grand finals, so it'll be a good battle for him. I mean, whoever they put on that right edge because they talk, potentially they might start there even I mean, it's a tough, very tough battle for money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting about I Reckon laws was got into Hudson, Young's got into him and said, made I want you to call out Sammy Walker. Hudson's gone on, I'm coming for you. Yeah, that's I Reckon. Laurie's gone away and just thought, man, in the first two origins, they've allowed sand to play too comfortable. This is the first shot leading in is Hudson saying there.
Speaker 3: Was so much on Kalen the first two games, like one taking over the role from Reese, who had who was the incumbent, and then all the whole situation happened in one. You know how KP would handle going into game two like it almost distracted a lot of things for the rest of the team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with that.
Speaker 1: It's good. It's actually because, like you said, Reese Wells is such a big figure in the game. All the headlines coming out of coins and obviously most of the headline has come out in your South Wales, but it was all around Reese whilst shopping and they were in when they were questioning Billy. We actually spoke to Ben Teel on the radio two days ago, I think it was, and even he said, he said, the Sammy Walker decision Game one, none of us knew about it. He said, none of the assistants knew about it until Billy named it in there, and we all kind of went, oh, that's a bizarre one like that, that's a bit strange given that there was so many other hars. But like you see what Sammy Walker has done the last couple of weeks, last two games, He's gone from a player that you know, do you think they'll pick him for origin to now, like you know, even if Tommy didn't was available, like he nearly squeezed, he squeezes Tommy didn't out of a.
Speaker 2: Special state of origin turns blokes who are very good players in the Superstars.
Speaker 3: Can I ask j even like the decision to pick Sam Walker because he's obviously he's playing halfback. Do you think Sam Walker would have Billy would have gone into this series looking to pick a side around a game plan that he had, or he would have changed it just because of Sam Walker, Or do you think Sam mould have suited that game plan.
Speaker 2: It's a really good one. Jay. I think Slater's very clever of that. I think he had the raw bones of a game plan, but I think he's tinked it with it. For Sam. Sam's the best football I've seen him see him play, and there has been sort of times, you know, suggestions and I don't know. I'm not sure because I'm not priven of the game plan, but sometimes the way Rister's played doesn't quite suit his football. But he's playing good football now and I think, yeah, I think there's here's a little bit more ad lib football in what they're doing. Because Billy could play both sides that you know that really good ad lib football and played so well in structurally, I think he's just loosened that side of the field.
Speaker 1: I see, like, I don't think Billy's got to Camblan in his head and he goes, I'm going to pick him for this game plan. I think he picks people who's he knows, who's got the right attitude for what he wants. Yeah, he's looking at only attitude based things. And then when he gets in there in terms of coming up with a tactic, he looks at everyone's strengths and he just he builds the attack around that. You know, we've got a lot of great adute players. We've got Harry Grant at nine, who loves to get as many chances we can get him getting at one marker and quick play the ball he'll get out yep, and then just builds it all about that, and he's done a good job.
Speaker 3: Like I've heard Billy over the years talk about like I think he spoke about his father and he talked about when he was I remember him saying it was like a quote from him saying that, like you might've learned that, you know, you shouldn't overthink things. It should be whatever you're doing, it should be instinct. Everything should be instinct, and you reckon like weird. I know he's not playing, but do you think he's like it's almost like the way he's coaching, either he says it or what. But his players seem to do that as well.
Speaker 2: Jack, Jack, you know what you know, and you both know Billy when he came here at Coloroid and stayed here him in Monster that year, and I've never seen a bloke he is excused upon the perfect storm in the fact that Billy Billy has this real innocence about him, bordering on sometimes His belief is almost at times always borderline naive to get you know, it's not the right word. How does yeah, it is like you just go mate, like you shouldn't believe in that so much? Or his self belief is just like I've never seen anyone like it.
Speaker 1: It doesn't question, it doesn't question first instinct. He just does not question it at all. There's no second doubt.
Speaker 2: We did it. We had a thing we came up with a sequence we did called cappuccino, which was cappuccino was sorry it was called it was a cappuccino. It was a double shot. It was work to a far post food. Act like it's going to be a big sweet block. Hit short and then double out the same way. So double shot act like it's going to go along again, hit short twice and just put massive pressure on those defenders to you know, two fake block shapes. And he went, yep, okay, and what I'm going to do. I'm going to add this Smithy does this? Does that? Now? When you bring something to a playmaker or someone that they'll go right, okay, they'll take it away for a week or two experiment of train and then come back and say it works. He did it once and went yep, sweet straight in the kick back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, like yeah, his belief, it's his big like it can be a weakness of times because yea he might not, you know, tinker out some of the some other stuff, like the bad stuff in it. But he believes in something so much that he gives he gives it no reason not to work. Almost.
Speaker 2: Jack, sit on that thought, intuition, I've got something for you right at the back end we do the prediction.
Speaker 3: So jot me just to say, like when you go to pradictions, I'm just going to odd of nowhere.
Speaker 2: Intuition to your mind. Hammaso versus Bradman's a good one. Like pamasol Mate. He always comes up with something when they need it. Hamisode. That's speed and grace against Bradman's aggression and power clearly against the Queensland middle defense. Sam Walker short kicks versus Teddy you know, Cleary short kicks versus Ponger. There's so many good like battles throughout this game. Well, what do you think, what do you think is the most important thing for New South Wales. What's the most crucial thing.
Speaker 1: I think we touched on it at the start. I don't think they need to go in this with this magical sort of coaching tactic. I don't think they need to go into this game with all the answers on oh we're going to pull them apart here here, this, and that. They have played two halves of good football and two eighty minute performances. So I was a first half in Game two and a second half in Game one that were real equality. They need to get out there, start really well, but they need to play an eighty minute performance and from one to seventeen all seventeen players intent needs to be almost I'm going out there and just leaving nothing in the tank, because there's players been in this game too where you can visibly see they're off their game and their intent when they're running. They're getting bullied a little bit by some of the Queenslanders and you so Wales and vice versa, and on the other side of the football, not winning their one on one tackles, particularly through the middle. When Queens then start to get on a roll through the middle, that's when Harry and all these other great duly players like Samuel Walker Munster come into the game, they're attacked. It should just be our intent with the football. We just run as hard as we can out of the backfield, march down there for an attacking kick. And on the other side of the football, they need to just win their tackles and slow the rouckdown as much as possible.
Speaker 2: Spot on, mate, spot on, Just erase everything. People erase everything. Boys just win yardage through victory and the speed of the play the ball. You must stop Selwyn Cobbo and Jojo Fieda on those early tackles and play one, two and three. Got to stop them. Alternatively, Mark you, Mark Jack Bosstock, Teddy, You've got to get us forward right and because if we can do that, we're going to get Nathan into attack kick position regularly. And if we can do that, if you can regularly be there, we'll win the football game.
Speaker 1: Before we get into predictions, can I just ask you, Jewish Jack, you're timing that you're on the bit this this year's state of origin, because it's been a little bit weird like and yous have been hammered quite a bit by some of their performances. But where is it ranked as a spectacle, you guys think in context of some other stat of origins, because the games himself, some of the games they haven't been like the drama has been good in it, like Calipong has send off and stuff, but the quality of the football overall in terms of a contest probably hasn't been the high standard.
Speaker 2: The attack, I mean the attacking, some of the attacks stuff has been brilliant, like in Melbourne, which traditionally a really hard place to attack it the MCG which is slippery and whatnot. The standard of football's hands and that was just outstanding. But you're right, they're sort of been.
Speaker 1: Just not eighty minutes worth of the real context.
Speaker 2: Could be one of them. This could be one of the best.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I was out saying. In fairness though it does feel very like first game in Queensland, second game, the pressure went on New South Wales because you could have wrapped up the series and the pressure was a bit off Queensland. This game very much seems like it's building both teams of yeah, both teams can win this game. Queensland, like Queensland should be the favorites, but again New South Wales like the pressure sort of on them now, Yeah, because like everyone's saying yourself, well, shouldn't have won Game one, they didn't win Game two. Queensland's to eat up. But like that's a that's a hell of an advantage I think for the Blues, like in terms of they're what they've got going on in their camp.
Speaker 1: We can't win for the first time ever. You know, we actually are the underdogs and we can't win.
Speaker 2: Okay, predictions, prediction, ship, intuition, Okay, what's something you trust? Fifty five this year, I've been in the game and like I don't want to sound like a fuck uick, That's how I am. I have been in the game, loving this game for fifty years. Sometimes you don't let stats and that get in the way of your intuition. Intuition is fifty years bundled up into decision made developed in the subconscious. I like it.
Speaker 1: CHATPT and AI numbers mean shit.
Speaker 2: All mean ship mate, when you're been through, I'll give you an idea. I don't know why I backed this. One day I got there. There's this horse running in Belmont, Western Australia, and I've got there and I've gone I just got to get a bet on it last second. I've looked and seen this horse's name Military Jane and just went, oh, you've got to get a bed on it, and just had five bucks on it. When it started to run. It was one hundred to one and I thought, but I just thought there was something about the name. It won. I got it here, Military Jane. What you so?
Speaker 1: What are you telling us about?
Speaker 2: Now? That was intuition. It was intuition, and what it was let me speak here for what it was is all that time in the game that you develop. Don't ignore your intuition, your gut feel. People. When it's something that you love and you've been in a long time and you just get a gut feel as your intuition, it's all your life experience bundled up in your data center brain. And for that reason, I'm going to New South Wales. It's my gut feel. My intuition was a New South Wales win.
Speaker 1: By I love it and win by eight and what can you give us? Give us a Wally Lewis Medalist and a triscord.
Speaker 2: I'll go, We're going to go Nathan Clear if me out of the match. But intuition, Sammy Walker has a really good game as well, and could be maybe the first player in this in the history of State of Origin. I would suggest to doing the Wally Lewis medal in a losing series. Okay, yeah, I like that. Yeah, triscore Jack boss stop from a Nathan Cleary kick Jack attack?
Speaker 1: Have you got have you got a prediction for us?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah? Before I say that, fifty five in Mandarin, Cobber is woo shi woo, just letting you know that.
Speaker 2: It's a beauty. Jackson's a You're on fire? May you Jack, You've nailed and it's yeah, really you old means got COVID and you're bringing out Amanda in COVID fifteen.
Speaker 3: I'm going with Cam Murray to get my men of the match, and I'm going to go with anytime try scorer. I'm going to go Hudson Young and who.
Speaker 1: Wins Jack Yes for free to say? All right mine New South Wales. I think they get it done up at sun called aka Lange Park. I've got a tryscorer, Mark, no Wang need a say. I think he gets it Marky, Mark loves it and my man of the match and I think Wally Lewis medalist. I'm going to left field Ive got Hudson young.
Speaker 2: Wow, So he's gonna need a big performance.
Speaker 1: I think he's been one's best yep, and I think he's he's a man that needs to We don't win unless he gets after Sam.
Speaker 2: Walker, gotcha right. Just let people know that when you wake up first thing Saturday, sorry, Thursday morning, you'll have our origin review straight after the game.
Speaker 1: It'll be it'll be out.
Speaker 3: I reckon when you usually get out by jackis it gets out about twelve am, midnight, midnight?
Speaker 1: He gets out midnight? So will you truckies? Will anyone do a night shift? Or you can't sleep because your missus has put you on the couch, or because you are fuming that your team's just gotten beat. Guess what we'll have content for exactly.
Speaker 2: You're on the road, you're driving, you're feeling a little tired, man, don't take speed, guys, just listen to our podcast.
Speaker 1: Listen to us, right o, Matthew, you go and you rest up those that larynx. COVID guys, COVID twenty three songs for no One. I Love you Dad.
Speaker 2: Thanks