Speaker 1: So we're driving back up to the Mid North Coast and New South Wales, which is where William Tiler went missing. And I didn't think we'd be coming back, but we've still got questions. And the questions were about one of the people who was held up at the inquest into William's disappearance as a suspect, potential suspect. And his name's Frank Abbott. What do we know about Frank Abbott?
Speaker 2: So, Frank Abbott is a man that has been around the Mid North Coast since the late eighties or nineties. Yeah, he's lived in both John's River and Heron's Creek, both.
Speaker 1: Of which and near Kendall where William were missing.
Speaker 2: And I guess there's no clear connection between.
Speaker 1: Human except that he keeps talking about it. And that's the thing that stands out, is Frank keeps talking about William's disappearance. There's people who give evidence at the inquest and say that Frank used to bring it up. He used to say that other people must have been involved in what happened to William. Or he would talk about an area of the bush where he said he could smell a body, or he knew what the smell of death.
Speaker 2: Was and you have a difference between a dead kangaroo and.
Speaker 1: A dead body. And there was evidence that he actually bragged in front of children that he killed William and disposed of William I think under their house.
Speaker 2: In a port, in a suitcase, in the suitcase.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, it wasn't true. There's no evidence, actual evidence that Frank was involved in what happened to William, but Frank keeps talking about it.
Speaker 2: And inserting himself into the investigation. So he even contacted the police while he was in prison for child sex abuse in twenty eighteen. He contacts the police and he asks to speak to a local detective and he tells him, you know, I saw Tony Jones somewhere with a child or you know, he tells them things that there's no evidence of, but he's inserting himself into that insony, right.
Speaker 1: He demands to speak to someone who's on the William Tool strike force, and he knows people, so he knows Tony Jones, who's another convicted pedophile and another person of interest in the William Tool investigation. And again no evidence that Tony was involved in what happened to William, but the police are looking at him, and Frank knows Jeff Owen, the tradesman who does work on the house where William goes missing, and is on the phone to the house that day. So there's this connection between Frank and the house where William goes missing, but there's no evidence that puts Frank at the house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and yet as he goes through all the evidence heard at the inquest, Frank just keeps popping up throughout it in these strange ways, like.
Speaker 1: He's like, well, then there's Ray Porter.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Ray Porter is this guy who is really elderly. He's in a care home and he's dying, and his nurse gives evidence that Ray says before he dies that he gave his mate a lift with a boy driving north away from Kendall, further north in New South Wales. And the nurse says, is that the boy is that William Tyroll And apparently Ray says yes. And there's the white car. So William's foster mother says there's a white station wagon parked outside the house on the day that William goes missing. Nobody else has seen it, but she insists there was. Frank is seen driving a white station wagon in Kendall on different days. So there's all of these reasons to look at Frank and say, we should probably talk to you, as in the police should talk to him. And he's at the inquest. He's allowed to be in the hearings, and he joins them from prison where he's serving time for child sexual abuse. But he calls in on a video link and he's allowed to question witnesses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we established earlier in the series that he in fact gets all the evidence from the inquest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this I was speaking to a former detective about exactly this, just a couple of days ago and telling him about what happened, and this detective was horrified that the inquest had sent Frank well parts of, if not the complete brief of evidence. While Frank is preparing himself to give evidence at the inquest, so he knows what everyone is saying. He's allowed to question witnesses who are saying things about him, and everyone is waiting for Frank to be called to answer questions at the inquest, and then he doesn't. He's not questioned in person, he's not questioned in private, and then the inquest stops and we don't know why. So there's all these questions and we still don't have answers. So we decided it was time to drive back up to the Mid North Coast and to try and find some.
Speaker 2: Answers to those questions, or find out if the police have tried to find some answers to those questions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm danbox and from news dot com dot au. This is Witness William Tyrell, episode twelve, The Bird Tree and here we are. Where we are is a little town called John's River. It's just off the Pacific Highway on the Mid North coast of New South Wales, which is where Frank moved back in the nineties, but then he stayed for years. John's River is about a ten maybe twelve minute drive from Kendall, where William Tyrell was reported missing. And it's small. It's got one shop, one pub, a service station. The trees overhang a few old cars, some of them upon blocks or in pieces in the front yards of the single story weatherboard houses. Just a few hundred people live here. It's barely a town.
Speaker 2: It's going to say, you said by driving in almost.
Speaker 1: It's kind of a straggler houses on either side of the road and looks like a Symbda days. But people here knew Frank because he lived here, he worked here. Frankly, in a place this big, you can't get away with not.
Speaker 3: Knowing your neighbors.
Speaker 1: So we're going to try talking to people and find out anything we can about Frank Abbott. When I say find out anything we can about Frank Abbott, I mean it. Since the last episode of this series, Nina and I have gone deep on Frank, looking at court files and electoral roles. Hello, following the different branches of Frank's family, where he's one of eleven brothers and sisters.
Speaker 3: Hello, Drive around the back.
Speaker 1: We've traced phone numbers and property records to see where Frank's family lived over decades, from western Sydney north to Wooton, a hilltop town surrounded by cattle farms and forests, and further north to the city of Taree, which sits in a loop in the wide Manning River, and here to John's River.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure there's somebody at home TVSA.
Speaker 1: Then Heron's Creek, a tiny township built around a sawmill and a rail line where the police searched after William went missing.
Speaker 3: Sorry to bother you, in turn of our Nowhere.
Speaker 1: We followed Frank to Logan's Crossing, where he lived in a caravan belonging to a man called Jeff Owen, a tradesman who called the house where William was reported missing on that morning. My name's Dan, This is Nina, and north again into Queensland, where Frank's family are now scattered.
Speaker 3: We've been trying to get in touch with it. Julie Abbott Abbot.
Speaker 1: We've read the death certificates of Frank's wife, Katrina, who died in nineteen ninety one of liver failure, and of Frank's two year old son Darren, who died in nineteen eighty four and whose inquest file has been sealed, meaning it cannot be made public. We've also seen Frank's parents' marriage certificate, which showed they married at nineteen and lists his dad's job as a laborer and his mum's as domestic duties. And we've read the police witness statement and the old court reports that say Frank's dad, Henry Abbott, was a child abuser. We've gone through old TV, radio and newspaper reports about Frank that show how he's been in and out of prison. Over decades do.
Speaker 3: You think Frank Abbot was involved in the disappearance?
Speaker 1: That I cannot answer, including one time when he broke out of prison, stole a car and drove across the country to his sisters.
Speaker 3: But do you think he's capable?
Speaker 1: Well, he scares me. They're still scilling in that name's there, so I really want to say. Over the decades, Frank's done time for smaller crimes including drugs, breac and enters, car thefts, and he's now doing time for big crimes, specifically child sex abuse, including four counts of indecently assaulting a child under sixteen and six counts of having sex with a child under ten against three victims, two girls and a boy, for which he's currently serving sixteen years in Long Bay Prison in Sydney's East, where one of our colleagues recently saw Frank Abbot sitting and laying out the playing cards for a game of Solitaire. Among everything we've learned about Frank Abbot are new details about the circumstances of William's disappearance, including that Frank told one person he'd never even been to the street where three year old William was reported missing, but he told someone else. He'd been among the hundreds of people who volunteered to search that area in the days that followed. So we're at the pub now where people have told us Frank was living in a couple of white sheds out the back of the property. I've just been speaking to the guy who owns it and he said, he said, look, Frank did rent some white sheds down here further on the property. He said he didn't think Frank was living in them, but he did bar Frank from the pub. He said Frank stank and he was aggressive and he just didn't want him in there. Frank denies having anything to do with William Tyrell's disappearance. He's claimed to other people that a bank withdrawal proves he was somewhere else that morning. And we can't speak to Frank because he's in prison, though we have written to him, and we've spoken to his sister, Elaine Harding, who didn't want to be recorded, but told us that Frank was innocent and that he'd been willing to give evidence at the inquest into William's disappearance, which is strange because everyone expected Frank to be called to answer questions, including both William's biological and foster parents. Only Frank never did so. He wasn't called to give evidence in public and not in private, and the coroner who's leading the inquest into William's disappearance has ordered there be no publication of her decision. Why not? We asked the Coroner's court to explain why Frank has not given evidence. We were told an answer might take weeks, as they are quote currently occupied with other work. We're still waiting.
Speaker 2: Okay, Dan's walking up to the house. It's coming in, appearing at them through the curtains of us.
Speaker 1: In this case, getting answers isn't easy, all right. So that guy didn't want to be recorded.
Speaker 2: And then we haven't talked about the woman that I contacted through Facebook.
Speaker 1: Right since the last episode of this series. The coroners also confirmed there won't be any more evidence heard in public. Instead, the coroner wants to see written submissions from the various lawyers, which also won't be made public, and aunt ju for months from now, meaning it will likely be months more before the coroner publishes her findings.
Speaker 2: I asked her how she knew Frank hmm.
Speaker 1: The coroner has released a short statement saying it is to be understood that the New South Wales Police Force's investigation into the disappearance and suspected death of William Tyrrell may continue.
Speaker 2: Her reply was sorry, it's taken song to get back to you. I wasn't sure I was ready to talk about this. Frank sexually assaulted me as a teenager when I was living in Tare.
Speaker 1: We asked the New South Wales Director of Public Prosecutions what's happening with a brief of evidence submitted by the police seeking to charge William's foster mother, and she.
Speaker 2: Said he was never charged for it. My parents knew about it.
Speaker 4: Hmm.
Speaker 1: That brief of evidence was submitted almost two years ago now and there's still been no decision as to whether to actually charge her. The DPP did not respond to our questions. So that was a call from a guy called Patrick Tealing and we knocked on his house half an hour ago and I left a message on his phone. The police did charge William's foster mother and foster father with assaulting and intimidating another child who wasn't William. He was the guy who ran the store in John's River, which is where Frank Abbott was living, and William's foster parents were convicted. But in the months since the last episode of this series, William's foster father has appealed his conviction for intimidation and had it overturned. And the guy from Taree's in the store delivering bread, and he pulls Patrick aside and says, stay away from that guy. That's Frank Abbot. And William's foster mothers also appealed her convictions, and he's waiting on a decision. I know him from Tari Warn your kids, don't let your kids go near him. And when you put all of this together, what you've got is that so far, neither the police nor the coroner seem to have any real answers about what happened to William. And so from then on, Patrick the storekeeper is keeping an eye on Frank Abbot, and he doesn't like what he sees, which is why Nina and I have come here to the town of John's River to ask questions. Bringing us back to Frank Abbot, he said, over and again and again and again, he'd notice outside the store Frank Abbot talking to women or women and children and just getting too close. He said, he used to at night. Sometimes he'd be awake and he'd see Frank backing out of his property with his lights off, getting down the road, and then the lights would turn on, and he said Frank was out and he was stealing stuff. And the local people would say in John's River, if you're missing something, go and look at Frank's house. He says, I'm just reading my notes. I made shorthand notes of the conversation. He says, he's just one of those guys. He didn't have any scruples, and he said he was worried about him. And then Patrick said, of Frank, you wouldn't feed him. He said, jail's too good for him. Wow, So why did his old neighbors say jails too good for Frank Abbott? What had he done? So we recording this man used to live next door to Frank. He doesn't want to be named. We're sitting on the front porch of his home in John's River, the main road behind us, and the bodies of old cars seemingly scattered, almost half forgotten, in the surrounding forest.
Speaker 3: Tell me about Frank, Well, we're not first viny. We sort of got on for a while and then.
Speaker 5: I heard stories about some girl in Sydney.
Speaker 3: Did you hear those stories from him or from other people?
Speaker 5: Now was in the paper too. He sort of kept to himself, but me X missage used to get it and do the garden. He used to look over the fence and stuff.
Speaker 3: So when she was out in the garden.
Speaker 5: Yeah, when it was hard, she was in a bkinie at the back, like we had a fence.
Speaker 3: But they used to look over so you could see him like peering over.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I record you.
Speaker 3: What did you do?
Speaker 5: I wasn't going to flog you, but I didn't because he came.
Speaker 3: Out with you. So you got into a blue with him. I didn't fight, but you were.
Speaker 1: And then he went back in and came out with a machete. Yeah, and this is your next door neighbor. How did you get on after that? Not really before you kind of he pulled a machete on you.
Speaker 3: Did you ever talk to him about anything at all? Did you get on with him much?
Speaker 5: I used to talk with him. He was all right.
Speaker 3: Tell me about what he was like.
Speaker 5: Oh, he was just he was pretty dirty.
Speaker 6: It wasn't that plain. Yeah, and the house was pretty feral. Had Chuck's living in it living. We used to go to the tips and night and breaking the tip.
Speaker 3: So he used to go and steal stuff and break into the bag and tipt a hold the fence and bring it back here. But none of you kids were all out over there. Why not? Well, just the way he walked, Just the stories, what stories that.
Speaker 1: He was a bit of of As a police ever spoken to you about the.
Speaker 5: Degnies about Frank on the phone, I just same thing.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you something. And then they never came back after that.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 1: The police who spoke to Frank's old neighbor were detectives from the Strike Force investigating the disappearance of William Tyrrel. But they only called him, he says, they never visited in person. Sitting on his front porch, I look next door at Frank Abbott's old house. Someone new lives there now since Frank moved out, And there were more cars on the front lawn, a little boats, a tinney up on a trailer, and what looks like a black stone gargoyle of some kind of winged mythical creature beside the screen door. I look over at all of that and I think, all right, it's worth a visit.
Speaker 3: Let's have another knock hed tat him.
Speaker 1: Before the screen doors shut, But the main door behind it is open, and I can see it's dark inside the house although it's late morning, almost midday. I'm pretty sure we wake the owner up. I'm sorry to bother you on the The man comes to the doorway, scratching himself in shirtless, wearing only shorts, and he's big, muscular, he's got tattoos across his body, but he's friendly.
Speaker 3: How long did you know him for?
Speaker 8: Not more?
Speaker 3: As were more disposed.
Speaker 1: The man invites us in.
Speaker 3: How long you've been there?
Speaker 1: He says he's lived here since twenty ten, four years before William was reported missing. We sit down in a lounge room dominated by a long black sofa and a big, noisy fish tank. The man starts talking about how they took over the house from Frank Abbott.
Speaker 9: I think we've done about thirteen loads thirteen loads of rubbish from the backyard. What kind of rubbish about everything? A washing machines over in this corner, there was and steal bathtubs over in that corner.
Speaker 1: Scrap metal and bits things you could.
Speaker 3: Sell maybe yeah, I don't know about selling them.
Speaker 9: But yeah, and that's even now, like you go they you could dig the dirt, Yeah, and you're still find shot in.
Speaker 3: The dirt like that was that thick? What was he like in cider house?
Speaker 9: Very dark and gloomy, Like the bathroom was basically rotted out side of thing in the bathroom. Yeah, like you know, the walls inside the floor, and it was very like old. And it was one of these houses where he could have, you know, it was fifty fifty you can push it down and start building again, or he could start renovating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we chose to renovated. And was it clean?
Speaker 9: It was very old and dusty inside. And then stuff that was inside it was like he can say antique furniture, but he got it from out the front of someone's house or whatever, Like it wasn't proper you know.
Speaker 3: Old furniture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so much antique is old and he'd been thrown away. Yeah, tell me about Frank himself.
Speaker 3: What was he like?
Speaker 9: I told to him, and that like straight up, I just assumed to know an old boat, you know, a bit a bit funny in his ways. But then once you've heard the stories and stuff, like from people around town and even from his He's brother brother named Bluie. That was his nickname. Blue Even he had nothing nice to say about him. What stories did you hear about Frank?
Speaker 3: Well, I heard about.
Speaker 9: I don't know know who it was at the time, but as young girls and young boys, something about he took him out to the forest out here, just something here and but tied him up the trees. What. Yeah, tired him up the trees and did I can't I'm not going to sit here and make up something that I don't know. I'm just saying tied him up the trees and did something bad out there. Did you hear anything else? Yeah, Well, Frank was basically like creeked around any any girl. They would be onto him.
Speaker 1: One story, this man tells us. We hear more than once in John's River from other people who knew Frank. But I'm not going to repeat it, not because we don't think that story's true, but because we fear it might be and I don't want to identify the people involved.
Speaker 9: What I'm saying didn't really have any hate or anything towards him, because I've said, there are stories, you know, and he's always wandering around town and making and he was going to get a lift to help out someone or like cleaning or something for people.
Speaker 3: Anyway, that's as much as I knew him.
Speaker 9: They don't like And then he stopped in here and sub twice I said a couple of times more, and my dad's given him a lift, like see, you was always hunting for a lift of the shops or something. So that's as much as we knew of him, right, you know, And just you give my lift.
Speaker 3: Be nice, you know, don't.
Speaker 1: Be nice. Don't fuck with Frank Abbott and give him a lift if you see him. Soon after this mention of his dad giving Frank Abbot a lift, the man's father walks into the lounge room behind us.
Speaker 3: Here's my dad, he.
Speaker 4: Say.
Speaker 1: I walk over and introduce myself.
Speaker 3: We're journalists.
Speaker 9: This is colleague of mine, a story and a news thing on Frank Abbott.
Speaker 4: Oh thank you boy.
Speaker 3: Yes, you sit down and have a chat in a.
Speaker 9: Minute, Serett, Because my dad knew him just as much as I did.
Speaker 1: So we swap over. The first man goes outside to the front yard of the house to smoke a cigarette, and we're left there sitting in the lounge room on the big black sofa talking to his father. You knew Frank Abbott for how long?
Speaker 4: Since we're moved up here two thousand and ten?
Speaker 1: How would you describe him?
Speaker 4: Dirty? I've dragged the end to our bar once, and Frank.
Speaker 3: The always by my bride. You offer him a lift.
Speaker 1: He says. He gave Frank a lift to Old Bar, which is another little town about a half hour drive south along the highway where the Manning River flows out between two long empty beaches to the ocean.
Speaker 4: You had a job there to do with cut my woman's lawn. I dropped in that house and I said, Frank, how long? Because I wanted to have a little around Old Bar as well myself. And he said, oh, a couple of hours. I said, well, if he's going to be that long, i'll pick you up. Like so, I come back and picked him up, and I was a standard what he said to me. He said, this woman's got heaps of money in the house. And he didn't necessarily stay the words that he wanted to me to.
Speaker 3: Come in with him to rob her.
Speaker 4: A load of person.
Speaker 1: He is like everything of that him was shifting. There's no proof Frank was thinking of robbing that woman, but so far in John's River. I've heard so many different stories about Frank that this one doesn't surprise me. Did you ever hear Frank say anything that he might have done worse than stealing? This time, the answer does surprise me.
Speaker 4: It's rather Bluey, a nice boat.
Speaker 1: Frank's brother Jeffrey, whose nickname was Bluey because he had orange hair. Apparently it's an Australian thing. Go figure anyway, Bluey he died in twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: Quite a few years back now, but he always said, when the stories are going on, were two all that he.
Speaker 3: Didn't do it.
Speaker 1: He didn't do it.
Speaker 10: Right, pretty close to when he died. Bui, he said to my son, he said he did do it, he said, and he is buried up on Big Bird.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're that big truths Big Bird. They've got a song on them. And yeah. I thought that was a turning around from Blue sating that because he wanted to like each father.
Speaker 9: He didn't.
Speaker 4: You could say it in your medi life.
Speaker 1: Wait stop, as the older man is saying this, I'm trying to process what we're hearing. So the story goes. Bluie was Frank's brother, and apparently Blue used to say Frank was not involved in William Tootle's disappearance, except right up just before he died, Bluie said to this man's son, Frank was involved. He did do and Williams buried up on Big Bird Mountain.
Speaker 4: Is buried upon Big Bird.
Speaker 1: Where there's some kind of big tree where.
Speaker 4: There big trees Big Bird. They've got a song on there.
Speaker 1: Later we'll discover there's this big tree outside of John's River called the Bird Tree, which is this giant black butt tree. It's about seventy or so meters high and eleven meters around the trunk, and everyone who lives on the Mid North Coast apparently knows this tree. Other members of Frank Abbot's family will tell us they used to visit it as children. The Bird Tree stands on the slopes of Middle Brother, which is a mountain.
Speaker 4: Up on Big Bird.
Speaker 1: But where my brain starts to do loops is when we learn that the Bird Tree is next to another giant black butt called Benaroon, which is the same name as the road where William Tyrell was reported missing, Benerun Drive. And when I google the Bird Tree, a state government website says you get there via Batar Creek Road. Which is the road leading to Benerun Drive. Most of that area is forest, a national park named after the Middle Brother Mountain. And we learn that the morning after William is reported missing, at nine to twenty two am, Frank Abbott's mobile phone pings off the Middle Brother cell tower, which is described in evidence before the inquest as covering the Kendall area. So the area around the town where William was reported missing, But that Kendal area, it's a huge chunk of land. Looking at a map, it must be dozens of square kilometers of mostly empty forest, farmland and dirt roads. So this mobile phone ping doesn't actually prove anything except that Frank is likely somewhere in that area. But right now, in this conversation with the old man inside what used to be Frank Abbot's house in the town of John's River, I'm thinking, why bring this up. We haven't even asked you about William. I'm also thinking none of this is evervidence. In court, a judge would dismiss it and call it hearsay. It's just a story told by one person who says they heard it from another. It proves nothing, and I'm not suggesting it's true. Far from it. But sitting here listening to this man's say what his son said that Bluey told him?
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, I thought that was a tune. Ahoy, I'm from Blue.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking we really need to talk to your son. We might just go and ask your son about what you've just told us about BLUEI. The old man seems relaxed and jokes that we should remind his son to mow the lawn while we're out there.
Speaker 4: He's just waiting for the.
Speaker 1: So we bundle up our recording kit and head out of the house. When he says something, only I'm distracted and miss it, and later, listening back, it's hard to hear because the microphone's bumping as we hurry out the front to where his son is smoking. He probably forgot about that, but I didn't forget about it.
Speaker 3: He chanted his version.
Speaker 1: His brother the way he changed his version with his brother meaning Frank and his brother Bluie.
Speaker 4: No one ever checked out.
Speaker 3: He must have thought, what a few people that story?
Speaker 1: No one ever checked that out, and he must have told quite a few people all that story. But Blue he's dead, so he can't tell us if he really said that. Later we asked Frank about this in writing in a letter we send to him in prison, but we haven't heard back.
Speaker 3: God, he died. What do you remember when he died?
Speaker 4: Blue?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the best thing we can do right now is go outside to the front of the house where the old man's son is smoking next to the front porch and an unused lawnmower. All right, the dad's got a message for you.
Speaker 3: To finish the lawn. Hey.
Speaker 1: There was one thing he said though, which I wanted to ask you about, and maybe it's just slipped your mind.
Speaker 3: He said about Blewis.
Speaker 1: At this point, the wind outside the house starts blowing. I can see Nina frowning. The wind makes it hard to record what someone's saying.
Speaker 3: Do you.
Speaker 1: We go inside the house and crowd together in the kitchen. There's a TV playing in the background. Your dad was talking about Frank's brother, Blue, and he was also saying that remember that little lad William Tyrrell and missing looking candle. He said afterwards, Blue would always say Frank didn't do it, because it was in the news that Frank had been looked at by the inquest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, is that right, memory.
Speaker 9: I remember saying that he doesn't like he didn't believe Frank had anything. But then at the same time he'd sit there and to so I would anything nice to say about anybody?
Speaker 1: And then your dad said that before Blue died, he came to you and he may have said something different.
Speaker 3: I can't remember that. I don't Blue.
Speaker 1: He didn't say anything about maybe Frank could have done it, not that I'm not that I remember that William may have been buried.
Speaker 3: Is it Big Bird Hill?
Speaker 9: Ah?
Speaker 8: No, No, no, no, like him good Bluey was always like he was the only one that basically of his family that he didn't really have contact, but he used to hear the stuff that was going on because he was the first family. And there's now a brother poluting Queensland. So if Blue used to hear the stories of what's going on with Frank through his brother in Queensland. Yeah, and it's just from them stories that Blue used to hear, Like he'd sometimes passed on to us like blueby transfer and messages, not messages, but just talk us how happening, for what's happening at court? Yeah he's getting charge of this and stuff like that. But I know he did say something. I didn't believe it. Frank was guilty, but he also said that I think it's under the below Frank made the child. I like, because what he's done in his past that sort of makes that for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he deserved to be in jail because the things he'd done in his past.
Speaker 9: Yeah. Yeah, it's been a while, so I can't really Thanks for clearing that up for us.
Speaker 3: We'll get at your hair.
Speaker 1: Nina and I walk out Frank's old house into the sun, thinking about this story of the bird tree. I'm convinced it's just that a story. And even if Bluie really said that, which I doubt, then who's to say it wasn't Blue himself who was involved and trying to shift attention to Frank, his brother. We're get in our car and drive off outside John's River on the highway. We pass the turning with a road sign pointing to the bird tree, and we ignore it. We just keep on driving. Then weeks later, Nina and I are back in John's River, still working on this podcast, and we pull up again outside Frank's old house. The older man is sitting outside on the front deck records. I walk up and he says hello. The conversation goes straight back to Frank Abbott and his brother Bluey.
Speaker 4: These jaysus monder berea.
Speaker 3: Who's that bridge brother blue?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the old man and waves me over to a metal gate beside the house.
Speaker 3: Boy's dog. That's Bluey's dog.
Speaker 1: Behind it is a big old dog that reminds me of a bloodhound. And the old man says, that was Bluey's dog.
Speaker 3: How did you end up with Bluey's dog? We've got six dogs.
Speaker 4: Six dogs love dogs, love ven and wants to make it.
Speaker 3: So did you get Bluey's dog?
Speaker 1: After blue he died. Day before he died.
Speaker 4: He hit again and the tar at the hospital.
Speaker 1: Right walking back to the front Verandah, the old man sits at the table and I pull up a toolbox to sit on with him. I realized his memory isn't perfect. He sometimes loses track of what he's saying. I lost, He trails off.
Speaker 4: I don't know what was I just saying, he said, you went.
Speaker 1: But on one thing, he's insistent.
Speaker 4: That's the words I heard by my son, what Bloy told him.
Speaker 10: Frank did do it, and he's buried up there on bird somewhere.
Speaker 3: When you say big bird, I mean the bird tree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that mountain.
Speaker 4: Just yeah, if you go up the top of the mountain and you look down on top of him, it's beautiful. And that's the words. And I couldn't get that because they still has you still have family.
Speaker 1: When your son came and told you about Bluie saying that about Frank, did you think we should do something with that? We should tell someone? Oh, he doesn't really answer.
Speaker 10: It's sounded like Bluie just give up.
Speaker 4: Defending him, or something like that. And that's that's what I heard.
Speaker 1: We asked your son about if Bluie said that to him, and he said he couldn't remember.
Speaker 4: He would have said it us, I remember like.
Speaker 10: Tired, dipped or shadow?
Speaker 1: May I remember tight lipped or shut your mouth, he tells us. Then the old man's son arrives, driving onto the front lawn. He gets out, angry, shirtless again and walks across the grass towards us, shouting saying he doesn't want to talk about Frank Abbott and waving at us to get a way and get out. So we get out. We've been in John's River long enough. We reckon and this time driving away again, we passed the sign for the bird tree and keep driving. It's probably nothing. We'll tell the police, but I'm thinking about something. The younger man, the son, told us when we spoke to him the first time and asked him about whether Frank Abbott's brother Bluie told him something about William Tyrrell, and his reply was, I don't remember.
Speaker 9: I know he did say something, right, I didn't believe it Frank was guilty.
Speaker 1: Blue didn't believe that Frank was guilty of anything to do with William.
Speaker 9: But he also said that eyeing is under the below for Frank made the child. I like it's done in his past. That sort of makes that for it.
Speaker 1: But Bluie was under the belief Frank needed jail time to make up for what Frank had done in his past, which makes me ask the question, what did Frank do? And that's when Nina and I start looking at the young woman who disappeared and where Frank was found not guilty.
Speaker 7: She was riding the pushbike I think it was, and and he picked her up through them. I think he had ut And what did he say he did with the pushbike? I think he did that, But so he picked her up with her bike, maybe put the bike in the back of the yute apparently, and then did he tell you what happened next? That's next time on Witness William Tyrrell. A lot of different people have been involved in making this series. Among them, the executive producer is Nina Young. The sound design was by Tiffany Dimack. The producers have been Emily Pigeon, Nicholas Adams, Jazzbar, Phoebe Zakowski Wallace and Tabby Wilson. Research by Adan Patrick, original music by Rory O'Connor. Our lawyer is Stephen Coombs. The editor at news dot com dot au is Kerry Warren.
Speaker 1: I'm Dan Box