Speaker 1: This episode contains discussion of suicide. If this raises any issues for you, support is available through the links and phone numbers in the show notes. Oh, this is a beautiful episode. This is a heavy episode. But saying that Julie Goodwin, Oh oh, I mean, who doesn't love Julie Goodwin. I get to have her for a whole had her for a whole hour. You get her for a little bit less with me, you get the best bits, not the me forgetting what I was saying halfway through me saying it. Everyone knows Julie good when she graced our screens on Master Chef. She was the original OG of Master Chef two thousand and nine, fifteen years ago. She won Master Chef and we've loved her ever since. And she's never gone away. And I love that she's never gone away because they're people that you may never hear about again, and I'm really glad that she's one that stayed around. Her story, though, is hard, and it got harder as she started to get into her life post Master Chef. She went through a lot to get to where she is today. She's written a book. We talk about the book, we talk about Master Chef, We talk about her, we talk about me, of course. Please enjoy. If that's the word, I don't know, Please listen and let me know what you think about this episode. I always ask you to let me know about every episode. But here is my interview with Julie Goodman. You've got a book. Yeah, I'm so glad. I was just saying before we started recording that I'm glad it's not a cookbook because there's so many interesting stories about people behind cookbooks, and we often don't ever get to know about them.
Speaker 2: No, only the little stories that match the food. But in this book, I've I've got a few little recipes that match the stories. Yeah, sort of the other way around here.
Speaker 1: I like that. How are you going really, like right now, right today? Like are you doing well today?
Speaker 2: I am? I am. I've just had a loss. So I lost my little dog the night before last. So you know, honestly, I'm heartbroken. But I'm better able to deal with that than I would have been a couple of years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm so sorry. That breaks my heart.
Speaker 2: It's devastating. You know, you you're a dog person.
Speaker 1: The pets are harder I find than.
Speaker 2: Well, they're in your life all day, every day, you know, and they loved you unconditionally. It doesn't matter what crappy stuff you've done. Your dog and still loves you.
Speaker 1: Best of all, they will come and watch you ship.
Speaker 2: They will good for you and be excited about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there is nothing. I mean, don't even get me started. I'm so sorry to hear. But did you have your puppy for a while, like, yeah, she.
Speaker 2: Was nearly thirteen? Great, yeah, good in us. Yeah she's got a first sister and a third brother who are kind of sad now, but yeah, we'll get through it. My beautiful grown sons and husband and the dogs, and we were all together when that happened.
Speaker 1: So oh good. So you were home and got to say goodbye. And yes, I think that's really important. Oh for humans as well, Yes, you know, to be able to say goodbye. And it breaks my heart when people lose someone that they've just never got to Yeah, you know, like heart attacks and things like that.
Speaker 2: Exactly really hard. I'm doing well. I've got a lot of strategies and things in place to keep my mental health on an even keel. It's not to say it always is, but it's a lot better than it was. So as long as I keep doing the things, yes, things are okay.
Speaker 1: And that's what they say with mental health and mental illness issues is it's all about keeping the tools going, having for the right things in your toolbox, and using them like you're actually using them. I have my own mental health issues, which I think everyone does, do.
Speaker 2: They to one degree or another? And yeah, to one degree or another. We all experience stuff and we've got to find our way through it. But you know what, I would say that there are times where you might have tools in your toolbox, but you just can't access thems. So it's one of those things where it's kind of unhelpful if someone's in the midst of a crisis, to say them.
Speaker 1: Oh, just go for a walk.
Speaker 2: It's not helpful because sometimes you just can't. And so, you know, it can be a really slow path back to health. And once you're back to health, the path isn't straight and it doesn't finish. It's a rocky road and you've got to just keep plugging away.
Speaker 1: And sometimes you don't even want to go to the tools, Like I leave my tool at the door sometimes and it gets really dusty and stays there for too long. But last time I went without therapy, and then the next I saw a therapist. She said, why are you here and I said, well, basically, my tools are rusted and I don't and most of them aren't working anymore. I need to sharpen my tools, get my tool belt going again, actually get it out of the shed. And she's like, oh, that's a really good way of kind of you know, talking about it. And I said, I just couldn't be bothered lifting it up for a while and thinking I just don't want to deal with this right now, because you know, mental health, you have to keep it healthy, and like anything in the world, you just let it go sometimes and it gets.
Speaker 2: Out of it can get out of here at hand and people.
Speaker 1: You know that whole Are you okay? I really love that that kind of thing has come in because it does prompt you to say yes or no. I'm a huge one for yeah, I'm fine, I'm fine, no matter what. I just do not like to burden people, which I think women. Do you think that, Well, I'm not mad, of course, but women have a they've got to take care of everyone else.
Speaker 2: That's one hundred percent true. And you know, we talk about are you Okada. We talk about corporate responsibility around mental health and all of those things, and so talking about mental health is not new, and we're doing a lot better than we did. Certainly while I was growing up it was to boot, but now we're talking about it. But what I actually still think needs to happen is okay. So we're all willing to help, We're willing to look for the signs in others, We're willing to accommodate whatever we need to accommodate for others, but still carry these internalized messages that I can't speak up or I'll be seen as incapable, i will let someone down, I will be being ungrateful, or I'll be aren't weak, all of those things, and that's the internal stuff. So I think the conversation needs to obviously keep flowing, but I think it needs to turn a little inward to ourselves and say, I am willing to give help. Am I willing to accept it? Am I willing to examine the bits of my life that aren't working for me and say, you know what, I've got to hand some of this over. Yeah, that's where I think we really need to push this conversation. And as you say for women. I mean, I've raised three young men, and I'm married to a man, and they have their own things that they don't want to acknowledge or talk about. You know, there's a whole lot of you know, we can go stereotypical if you like, but there's a whole lot of stuff that men don't want to bring to the table either, And so I just think it's as important as being willing to reach out to somebody else, it's as important or more important to be willing to show compassion to yourself.
Speaker 1: I often say go gently to myself. It was something I learned to say, go gently, come on, like cause you know those voices, especially as young girls, teenage girls, we just we get taught pretty much to hate ourselves and say how ugly we are, and that's where a lot of our issues can come from. Go gently.
Speaker 2: Think.
Speaker 1: Another one that I find is being able to say to the people that ask are you okay? I'm still not yeah, because often with any illness, like you know, a cold or something, are you doing better today? Oh? Much better today? You know, everyone expects you to get better.
Speaker 2: Like it's a linear thing.
Speaker 1: It's like a linear thing, and it's not. It's just not it's you have to become comfortable with saying to your loved ones. Yes. Still, you know, it's still a work in progress, like that's what we're I.
Speaker 2: Am, That's exactly what it is. And I can tell you that I still find that frustrating. But I'm not at the finish line. There is no finish line. And I think that if we can find language around that that's unthreatening to the people asking, because you don't want to shut down the conversation. That's right by them going oh god, I don't want to ask because every time I know yes, and it doesn't have to be who you are all the time. We've got to acknowledge that we can be different things, you know. So my beautiful psychologist, who I write about in the book quite a lot because she's a legend. I love her. I was only with her before I started this book to and I'd had a couple of very flat days, you know, and you know those ones where you've got to arrange your face into the right expression before you can leave the house, and it's a real effort, you know, everything feels like you're wearing wet wool. And I just I went to see her, and I said, I'm pissed off for a start, because I'm doing all the things and I'm diligent. And secondly, I'm a little bit frightened because does this mean that my medication is not going to work for me anymore? I've been through a few different ones and some stopped abruptly, and it was terrifying when it stopped. Does this mean I'm on this spiral back downhill? What does it mean?
Speaker 1: What does it mean?
Speaker 2: I'm cranky and I'm scared and why do I feel this way? And what she said to me was, sometimes it's appropriate to feel depression. Sometimes it's appropriate to feel sadness. Sometimes it's appropriate to be stress. And if you look at what you're about to head out in the world and do, that's appropriate for you right now. But what we need to do is view it as a hotel. She said, You've checked into this hotel, but you know that you're going to check out and come back home. You don't have to live in the hotel. So now, if I'm having a day like that, it's just like, well, I'm just checking into the sad hotel and I'll eat the shitty food and I'll sleep on the shitty bed, and I'll have the shell with not enough hot water or water pressure. And then I'll check out and I'll go home, and I'll go home to love, and I'll go home to creativity, and I'll go home to joy and to my granddaughter and to my dogs who I love. And that has been so helpful to me.
Speaker 1: Oh, I love this woman and I love.
Speaker 2: This And that's language we can all use. If someone says that you okay, instead of feeling like you're always in the doldrooms or you've got a lie, you can say I've checked into the sad hotel today, but check with me again tomorrow because I might be home.
Speaker 1: Yes, I love that. I say poopool the pool. I'm sitting in the poop pool today. Sometimes I slap the shit all over me. Yeah. Yeah, sometimes I just get down a little bit and get out of it again. But yeah, I love the sad hotel. That will work really well. Thank you for that, And thank your therapist. She sounds amazing.
Speaker 2: She is amazing. She's walking through some stuff.
Speaker 1: Yes, God is so good at what they do when they're good, they're so good.
Speaker 2: Where'd you grow up in Nomins? So Northwest Sydney.
Speaker 1: Nice. They've got lovely parks out there for dogs.
Speaker 2: There you go every only thing you need to know.
Speaker 1: Everything for me doesn't have a good dog park. And you live on the Central Coast, which is where I'm from, where my produce is from.
Speaker 2: Yes, she went to school with my son.
Speaker 1: Is that right? You never told me that.
Speaker 2: It's such a small world.
Speaker 1: It's such a small world. She went to school with John Farnham's niece as well. Well, there you go. Yeah, such a small world.
Speaker 2: I mean I would have lead with that if I was.
Speaker 1: She only told me recently, and I'm like, yeah, you could have told me that two years ago, because I'm a job fun Oh Stan, who isn't Yeah, who isn't? So writing the book? I want to talk to you about writing the book. How hard was that because it's an emotional book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was brutal. Yeah, it was brutal.
Speaker 1: And now you're doing a book tour bringing it up again, so obviously it was harder to write. And did you have moments where you just threw hands in there so I can't do this?
Speaker 2: Oh? Absolutely. The whole process sort of went in cycles. So because it's hard, some of it's hard. Some of it's fun and funny and lighthearted and all of that stuff too, But for the hard bits, I had to bunker down. I couldn't just knock out half an hour before I cooked dinner or anything like that. I had to sort of bunk it down for days at a time and then stop for weeks and just let all of that process over there and get back to my life and not think about it, and then I could go back to it again. And there were a lot of hard conversations that I had to have with people I love.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, can how does that go? How do you broach someone that you say, I'm about to write about you?
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's particularly my parents, So there was stuff they didn't know that I had to break to them. And also I had to sort of gently say to them, these things weren't very well dealt with. The stuff that they did know, these things weren't very well dealt with. And it's generational, it's family. And with all the love in my heart, I said to them, I don't hold any blame because you were the product of.
Speaker 1: Your upbringing doing the best you could.
Speaker 2: And my name was the product of her upbringing, and she lived through the war and the depression, and then she raised these kids and so all that that stoic We don't talk about feeling bad. You know, you get up and your soldier on and there's always someone worse off than you, you know, which is.
Speaker 1: It's true.
Speaker 2: Of course it's true. And you've got to be grateful. You've got to be grateful, and you've got to count your blessings and put things in perspective, obviously, but you also have to be able to say all that aside, I'm.
Speaker 1: Hurting, I'm not doing well.
Speaker 2: Yes, I need a hand. I was just saying.
Speaker 1: Too in one of my solo epps that my mum, God bless her. She was. She did the best she could. But when it got really bad she would say, sometimes, you know, maybe we should go to the cancer ward and let you see, you know, kids who really got She thought she was doing the right thing.
Speaker 2: Well, it's the kids starving in Africa. You don't finish your dinner, you know, and it just.
Speaker 1: It wasn't no. And just to have my parents say, I remember having the really hard conversation with my dad, who was a really bad dad, really violent and awful, abuse her and have having that adult conversation with him. All I asked him to do was to keep his distance and to let me speak. That was all the like the caveats that I have for And that conversation went for three and a half hours of me just talking because I couldn't get my words. I couldn't stop, you know, all of that thing. But the one thing I said to him, all I really wish that you had done. And I'm saying this to you but also to my listeners because this is the best parenting advice. I'm not a parent, but I'm a child. Yes to a parent. Best advice I can give, and I gave it to my dad was sometimes I just wanted to sit on your lap and you say, I don't know what to do, but I love you, and that's all I wanted, not to be told, well, you know what you've done wrong? Yeah, yeah, you know what. They always play their advocates, and knowing where fathers and mothers come from a very you know, he's also intergenerational. It's also you know, gendered that whole men have got to give you a solution, whereas mothers are more in tune to that more nurturing. Let's have a hug, do you want to make you some food? You know, I don't know what to do. Should we go to the cancer warter?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I laugh too hard at that, didn't I that?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: The solutions they have. But you know what I've got to say is that my parents and my mum's eighty next year, right, So they were so beautiful about it. I was stunned, and I thought, gosh, I think I've been underestimating you. I was so frightened to have this conversation because you know, we don't air our dirty laundry. We don't talk about these deeply personal things, these ugly things. You know, we're grateful, we pick ourselves up. So for me to go to them and say this, I need to put this stuff in this book. I need to write about it because otherwise it's not a truthful book and there's no point writing it at all. And they just said, you do whatever you need to do and we'll support you.
Speaker 1: Isn't that wonderful?
Speaker 2: And they and they said sorry to me many times, and I'm like, I actually don't need that from you, because you did what you could with what you had. And they said, we should have dealt with it. Better. But back then there wasn't better. There weren't resources, we weren't talking like this.
Speaker 1: You know, how wonderful that they gave you sympathy. You know, they didn't need to, but they had it to give and it's never too late to give it, and you got it. And they really wish that things had been different. That's for your heartbreaks for them.
Speaker 2: Doesn't totally because what my mum and dad fall into the category of what I call when you know better, you do better. You know, there are some people who will stand by some of the shitty things they did or thought or said back in the day, double down, well, you know, never hurt me good clip upside the Oh you know I didn't it didn't it really? But then there's those who when you know better, you do better. And that's across all of life, about our attitudes to certain kinds of people and all of that stuff. When you know better, you do better. Smart people do that, Compassionate people do that. You know, I think small minded, dim people don't fear for people, people people, People who live narrow from black. Yes, they don't do better because they just double down on their crappy opinions and their crappy behaviors and never and they stand by their pride, their ego, if you will, like they don't remove that ego to swallow their pride and say maybe I was wrong.
Speaker 1: And that's my father had a lot of that, like a lot of that problem. I've never had kids for an array of reasons, but one of them was because I was really frightened i'd have my father's temper that he had with us, and I was so frightened to do that to children. But my brother did, and I remember him saying, I changed it, like I changed it. The kids didn't get hit because when you know better, you do better. That's right, And it's there's two ways that can go, is exactly to follow the steps or you turn it right on its head. And it's funny the ones who double down, they see themselves as the victims still like, well, I don't know any better. I didn't know any better, and you know, you should have seen the ship that happened to me. Okay, it was like, well, clearly you're not.
Speaker 2: You could know better now if you would.
Speaker 1: And that's why I'm so glad we have things in place for kids with parents, because you know, the things that parents could get away with.
Speaker 2: Back in the day and it was all perfectly normal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and not just your parents, your mate's parents could hit you as well. My parents could, your teachers could hit you everyone.
Speaker 2: Fair game.
Speaker 1: I am watching how mad I just could hit you with a with a cane daily. Remember when mad Men first came out, I remember there was I only watched the first season and then I was just like, no, this isn't for me. But it was such a great show anyway. But because it's said in the fifties of marketing, so lots but there was lots of you know, you'd go to they There was one scene where they all went to someone's house for a party. So all the kids are everywhere. Kids are like the boys are dressed up as cowboys and they're all running around bang bang bang. And one all the men are drinking scotch and the kids run through the circle of men and one guy just slaps this kid upside the head and the other man goes, I'm so sorry you had to hit my son like that, Like Jesus, Jimmy, what are you doing it?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: It triggered me. I was like cool, memory unlocked the amount of people that were allowed to hit us and discipline us as children. Is quite astounding what they could get away.
Speaker 2: With, saying, goodness, that's not the way anymore, thank.
Speaker 1: God, it's not. I want to ask you about going into a mental health facility, do you mind talking about No.
Speaker 2: Of course not, of course not. It's all part of the part of the big picture.
Speaker 1: Because I've been in one as well, twenty years ago. But I know things really change in time, especially in two decades mine over two decades ago. But you spoke on the project about how there was a lovely couple of strangers. Yes, that helped you in a really pivotal moment.
Speaker 2: That's what sort of started me down that path. And I have experienced a few different admissions over the past couple of years. And I have experienced a public system that was one of my questions as well, and the private system. And I know which one will heal.
Speaker 1: You and that which one needs a lot of help.
Speaker 2: And which one. I can't understand how anyone is expected to get better in a place like that. But yeah, no, I got right to the very the very bottom of the well, and and I couldn't see any way out other than to leave. And yeah, I was about to execute a plan, and this beautiful young couple and their dog just knew that they needed to sit with me for a bit, and they did. They sat with me for a couple of hours and just chatted, not about anything heavy, just about life and about their dog. Asked me if I had dogs. I had told them about my three and told them about my kids. They told me about theirs, and once or twice in that two hour period, I laughed, and it shocked me because it's like I didn't know there was even a laugh left in there. I didn't know. And so by the end of that time, I was ready to go home instead of doing what I had gone there to do. And that was when I entered the mental health system. So my husband, when I told him where I'd been, he just said, I'm not equipped to deal with this, so I'm going to take your to hospital now.
Speaker 1: So before you went on that walk, was it just like, were you at home alone or was the family home.
Speaker 2: I was on my way to a football match, so we're mad Mariners fans in our household, and I was on my way to that match and I was standing with Mick outside the stadium and he was going to go meet clients over the other side of the stadium, and I was going to meet friends over this side. And he it was I've been on a downward spiral for a while and it was a horrible time, like everything was on fire, you know. It was oh yeah, it was a really horrible time and everything was awful, and and he was just real quiet, and I said, are you all right? And he said, I'm worried about you. And that's that's all he said that. He wasn't no recriminations, no, no solutions thrown at me, just I'm worried about you. And so he went off to sit with the clients and I just texted my friends and said, I don't feel very well. I'm not coming. And that was the solution, and I just started walking. It was yep. It just became really clear to me, they'll be better that I ruin everything. I worry everyone. This is sickness talking. It was my absolute belief in that moment, and I wasn't happy about it. I was devastated by the realization that all the people that I loved would be so much better off if I just wasn't around to ruin their lives and that's what I arrived at.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad that you're still here. Yeah, but they are as well.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, we're all very grateful to those people.
Speaker 1: Those and do you still know those people?
Speaker 2: I do. I've been in touch with them a couple of times. Just tap them.
Speaker 1: Angels on Earth?
Speaker 2: Are they When I became a grandmother, I sent them a picture of my granddaughter and yeah, just thank you.
Speaker 1: Wow. Do you know the show? You can't ask that? On the ABC there was an episode. It's one of the hardest episodes I've ever seen people who have tried to take their own lives and not succeeded, and he pretty much every single one of them said, I wish I hadn't you know, I wish I just people knew before I thought that was the ultimate decision to make, And it's almost like, I wish we could give people that opportunity.
Speaker 2: This is what I'm trying to do with this book, you know, because I do detail all the things that led to that day, and what I'd love. What my purpose is in writing it is that somebody might look at it and go, you know what, I have unprocessed trauma from my childhood, or I am so overworked and exhausted that I'm not finding joy in my day anymore. Or I have to arrange my face muscles into a smile in order to leave the house. Or I have waken up far too many mornings and not been able to put my feet on the floor. Any one of those things. Or I need wine before I can sleep, you know, any one of those things. If that is you just take it out, shine a bit of light on it and examine it, and you might go, okay, well, there's a simple solution to that. I will just drop a bit of my work hours or whatever. But it could also be the start of a very rocky path. So if you can catch yourself at any point on that path, because there comes a point on that path where nothing's logical anymore, and illness takes over and your beliefs which are wrong, yes, that there's only one solution. So I don't think anyone's immune from that kind of downward spiral. I don't think they are.
Speaker 1: Saying I could not agree with you more. Everyone is susceptible to it. It can happen to any of us if we let it get out of control. And it's not even letting it because it's not something you have control out over.
Speaker 2: No, but you can turn things around if you catch it early enough so that these little warning signs, you know, before you consume by mental illness, you can spot the warning signs and start to do the things, pull out the tools out of the toolbox while you can, because there comes a point where you know, I describe it as being at the bottom of the well. I can see the tiny speck of light at the top, and I know what I have to do to get to it. I know what I have to do. I just can't do it. Yes, I can't move my arms, I can't move my legs. I can barely breathe. So there's no way I can get up and go for a walk and you know, do a bit of meditating. And I can't do that at that point. It's too bloody late, and I really need to be hauled out there by heavy machinery. Yeah, and that's what the mental hospital, all the therapy and all of that, that was the heavy machinery that I needed by then.
Speaker 1: So mental health facility. It really breaks my heart that it seems only people with money can get good help.
Speaker 2: Well, let me tell you, and this is something that I learned and something that I've written in my book, and something that I think is really important to know if you've got basic private cover, which I know not everyone can afford, and it breaks my heart. So normally, if you say you need a knee surgery or your eyes go to hell, and that's not part of your cover, you've got to wait, right, there's a waiting period before you can bolt that on. For mental health conditions, you do not. So I wasn't covered to go to that mental health facility. But we found out that it's the law that if it's a mental health condition that the insurance company has to allow you that immediately. So we straight away, it got straight on the phone. He said, I need to change our coverage to cover private hospital and all the things that I was going to need. And they can't say no to you because it's a mental health condition.
Speaker 1: So great to know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know that. I mean, you've still got to pay that premium, but you've still got to pay for the extra. But they cannot say you've got to wait a year. They cannot say that's a pre existing condition either.
Speaker 1: That's right. Well, and because public can't make you way like and those kind of things. They're emergency. Yeah, so they'd be liable if they even tried to make you wait.
Speaker 2: And I can tell you we couldn't have afforded the stays that I had in these private clinics because it's very very.
Speaker 1: Good to know. Yes, they're so expensive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so basic cover and you can bolt that stuff on whenever you need it. If it's mental health.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's so good to know, because they are getting better with the you know, the six bult build kind of things, but sometimes there's a scaling or whatever with that, like sometimes it's not enough, Yes, it's sometimes that's not enough. Sometimes you can't get into the good therapists, and sometimes a therapist once a week or twice a week is nothing. It's drop in the ocean compared to what you need, like that twenty four hour core. Oh that's so good to know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, there's certainly a long way to go that there needs to be far more accessibility to mental health care because it impacts I believe the is one in two of us, which means it impacts everybody. Yeah, because everybody knows somebody yep, So every life is impacted by people's mental health.
Speaker 1: And so why not put so much more money? Imagine if we I mean, I've always said this about you know, Nordic countries that you know, put all their taxes towards education, medical, and daycare children, and they just they thrive so much better because they take care of each other and themselves. It just makes so much more sense to take care of our mental health. Is throw all the money at that and just you know, put so much and then you've got so many other aspects of people's lives that you don't have to spend money on. Correct Because you know, we're going through an endemic at the moment, what they're calling it an epidemic of femicide. Women at the moment, dying one every four days at the hands of an intimate partner. I've been reading so much about it because you know, I'm just so interested in this kind of thing, and I've started to go to the other side of men who've been in that situation why they're like that, And a lot of them are saying the the help is not there for us. And I at first as roll mars like I don't want to you know, you're doing awful things. But imagine if they were being treated better in that sense of being taught how to use tools, how to treat women, how to express their everything. Even if we don't get them young, it's there for when they're old, because we've got to start somewhere. So say we start starting with the adult males, well.
Speaker 2: Helped them to process the childhood traumas. That taught them to where they are exactly. You know, everyone who's violent, everyone who's addicted, everyone, we're all walking traumas, you know, and we all deal with it different ways. And yeah, absolutely to address those issues is going to have a massive impact on society as a whole as a whole, and you know, and we also need to understand that the physical and the mental are so closely connected too. So when people have chronic pain and all that, that leads that leads into that mental health side of things as well. So it's all interconnected. And you know, for me, the mental health became very physical. I got very physically sick as well, and so your body does, well, my brain seemed to go. If you're not going to listen to the warning signs I'm giving you up here, I'm going to send them out to all how the parts of your body. That's right, and that's what happened.
Speaker 1: Exactly what it's physiological. Thank you for just talking so vulnerably and writing a book. I can't wait to read it. You are very first Master Shift and I, even though we've met, it was like it was a business business, it was a work thing, so we never have really ever had a chance to have a chat. So and you're someone that I've always wanted to meet, like always wanted to meet because you were the I can still just remember master Chef. You know what TV is laying. Channel ten and Channel nine are the worst for saturating us with promo, and you were the promo. So you were the shaking mom who didn't even think that you were going to get through the first round, like no, And that's just made everyone fall in love with wanting to watch the show, and then watching the show and seeing you win. It was if the nation's pride, like you were all of us.
Speaker 2: That's lovely.
Speaker 1: It was. It was a wild ride.
Speaker 2: I do write a lot about it, about it and all the stories and all the behind the scenes. It was so interesting and it was so hard, you know, but my god, it's I don't regret doing it for one second.
Speaker 1: No, and my I did The Jungle. You've done the Jungle as well. And our chef film was Justine. Yeah, he's beautiful, beautiful, and she talked about you sold and I would say, I love her so much, I wouldn't meet her. And it's with that we've just you know, it's taken so long to meet you. And then you got into radio as well. Yes, and I'm really glad that you did that because where I grew up, you know, which is where you were doing the radio. Like I would have just loved to be on Central Coast Radio. Like it was like, oh my god, everyone I know listens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I loved the radio. I loved it. I just my co host, Rabbit is just he was a veteran in the business, so good at what he did and just such a funny person. So we just hit it off and we had so much fun.
Speaker 1: That's so great. Would you ever go back again?
Speaker 2: Not to Brecky, I just it was part of the whole unraveling.
Speaker 1: That's another world. It is another world. I remember doing breakfast and saying to Ash London, when does it get She just laughed, Oh, honey, it doesn't, No, it doesn't get better. Your body clock doesn't get living a different world to everyone.
Speaker 2: Else totally, because you don't just lose your morning, like you've got to get up at four. Well, I had to get up at four. Some people are earlier. So you don't just lose the morning at home with you know, your family or your partner or whatever. You lose your night as well because you've got to eat and go to early. And that's so and I kind.
Speaker 1: Of got to watch a screen or try to stay up and watch something that you've got to got to.
Speaker 2: Have content, yeah, and the next day. So so it does take you out of the mainstream world. But then I was running a cooking school as well, so I had I had essentially two full time jobs. So that's where really the wheels started to wobble on the old on the old chassis. And yeah, so I don't think going back to breakfast radio would be the best thing for my for my brain, but.
Speaker 1: Other types of yeah, yeah, and podcasting is such a big thing these days and so flexible. So we do I do without pants on sometimes, don't I marvel?
Speaker 2: I've did lots of things without pants on. We should just do a lot.
Speaker 1: Of things, well, should do more things without pants on.
Speaker 2: I might do a cooking cooking cooking without pants.
Speaker 1: No cooking segment. I like it. Okay. Lastly, so where are you at in your life now?
Speaker 2: My life now? So I had to leave the radio. I close my cooking school for my well being as well, and so now I make choices about what to do. I obviously chose to write a book, and now I'm on book tour. So this is not a particularly balanced period of time. But when I'm not in this little sort of vortex of activity, I do a lot of art now, So I've gone back to some of the things that brought me joy when I was a kid. My beautiful kitchen, cooking school. So one end it's still a kitchen where I make content and develop recipes and do all that stuff. And the other end is an art studio. So I've got canvases and easels, and I paint with pastry brushes and egg flips and all sorts of stuff. I have so much fun there. I spend a lot of time with my three year old granddaughter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how happens your granddaughter now?
Speaker 2: Three three, which is just the birstage, And so I make time for her and it's the most it's the best time in my whole week. And yeah, I just choose now whether I'm going to take an opportunity or not. And I'm not driven by fear anymore. So I was driven so much by the fear. If I don't take every opportunity that came through the door, I would lose my ability to make a living and I would lose my opportunities that I've been gifted from from mastershire fifteen years ago. And I've got it. I've got to do it all. And now I'm just like, well, no, actually, I've got choices.
Speaker 1: And how's the response being so far from like just the general public, Like when people see you in the street and now they know that you've written a book, Like because the Project interview that it made me bore my eyes out in a really good way, because I was just so grateful that people are talking about there, you know, and people who are seemingly not perfect, happy and joyful all the time to see you be so real. It also broke my heart to see that you're in any kind of pain, because you know, you're someone that I've always looked at and just made me so happy. I'm just thinking you're getting that kind of reaction from the general public when they see you talk to you.
Speaker 2: I've got people like I'm doing these book events where we chat and then people come and talk to me one on one, and people are sharing their own stories with me. And some of these people are of the generation that have never been allowed to talk about stuff like that, and it's incredible how liberating it is for them especially, you know. But yeah, everyone's relating to bits and pieces of the story or the whole story, and just feel weird, seen.
Speaker 1: That's being seen being heard. When you finished the book, did you just feel lighter?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, when I got to the last line, I typed it out and I felt like a ton of rocks came off the top of my head.
Speaker 1: People should just write, even if they'd ever published.
Speaker 2: That That experience of putting my life down chronologically actually taught me a lot of stuff. There were things that had happened that I never understood why as a teenager, and then when I wrote down the chronology of all the stuff that's happened in my life, I went, oh, this is like cliche, it's so boring text. Obviously that happened because of that, that happened because of that, and that led to this, and that led to this. If I showed this rough outline to any psychologists, they would have said, I can tell you what's going to happen here. If somebody doesn't intervene here.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, textbook, they would study that. You would be okay, study and say this is what this is. Julie did this, this and this and this and this happened to you.
Speaker 2: If it was a script variety, you go, oh, come on, this has been done to death. Come up with some there a bit more original.
Speaker 1: And that would be so many people, wouldn't it.
Speaker 2: Yep, it really is.
Speaker 1: Start writing everyone, Just start writing.
Speaker 2: Shot it down, Shot it down.
Speaker 1: I often say to people went with therapy, you have to get your hands dirty. It's going to be tough, but.
Speaker 2: Get your heart dirty.
Speaker 1: You have to.
Speaker 2: You have to really go back to some places that are hard.
Speaker 1: Very hard, not comfortable.
Speaker 2: But then you heal them. Yes, and then you come out with a loss of that the shame that you've carried and a loss of you've carried, and you're able to be a bit more compassionate to yourself and you know, bring in those parts of you that you've left out in the cold.
Speaker 1: It's almost like a garden. Like you have to start with a pretty ugly surface, but what you can do with it by getting into it, nurturing it, and you still have to tend to it, and you end up with something quite beautiful and light. And I've never really thought of it like that. But that's that's not a bad analogy, is it. Garden?
Speaker 2: I like that garden ourselves. Let's be flowers, and you have, yes, get rid of the weeds.
Speaker 1: You have to keep doing it, don't you.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, oh yes, mate, You've got to maintain.
Speaker 1: But how much how beautiful the rewards of a garden as well like, and it changes all the time, and especially if you're a deciduous garden, she's really run.
Speaker 2: On that note, thank you, thank you, thank you, oh thanks, Ebo. I appreciate you letting me have this conversation.
Speaker 1: You are more than welcome. Thank you for coming in.