Speaker 1: I get a macome to another installment of I was going to say your favorite show, but that's incredibly presumptuous of me. So I'm just going to be realistic and say, welcome to an episode of a show that you sometimes listen to. Some of you love it, some of you just visit every now and then. I tell you who visits every now and then, Bloody doctor Denise.
Speaker 2: Hi, Hello, Hello, how are we all wait? Well?
Speaker 1: I can't speak on behalf the rest of the group, but it's all good. Bloody at Melbourne today. It's two five in the PM as we record this Bloody, this gift to the world, and it's Thursday, Thursday the twenty fourth, and it's just the most majestic day. I sound like an old person. I'm looking out the window of my office, but so fucking beautiful. I just got back from a walk and I've just tiken all the craigboxes today. This is my second Partty. I've done it bit of uni, I've done a bit of reading, I've done a bit of research, I've done a bit of creating. I've had some coffee. I've got some steps in going to go the gym and lift heavy shit later. But it's like it's it's quite a nice life that I've built. If I do say so myself, I quite enjoy being in the middle of it.
Speaker 2: Hmm. I want to be happy for you, But deep down there's a little part of me that's like, well, I don't feel like I'm that in control.
Speaker 1: Like one of the we've got this is not well, fuck, it could be a plug. Hey everyone, Next Monday, the twenty eighth, we're starting our new mentoring group. But it's it's interesting because and whether or not anyone listening ever does any of my things or not doesn't matter. But the whole idea of Week one is called life design. So it's just where we talk about this, this idea, this really practical idea. I've gone, all right, well, this is where I want to be or sorry, this is where I am with my body, with my health, with my life, with my career, with my money, with geographically where I am you know, kind of a bit of a self assessment, a bit of a stock take. No judgment in there, just awareness, just acknowledgment and awareness and then going all right, well, based on all of that stuff, what's work and what's not? Am I where I want to be, you know, literally or financially or physiologically or emotionally or professionally or financially. Am I where I want to be? And if I'm not well, where do I want to be? Like? What does success look like for me? Or a version of success or maybe just a version of better? And then how do I build that? What are my non negotiables around that? What are my drivers? What's my reason? What's my why? And the amount of people who say to me something like I've never even thought about my life that kind of abstractly or methodically or because most people and this is not an indictment, this is I think just as a reflection of the human condition for most people is we kind of get up and do what we did yesterday, and then we do that forever or a version of that, and then some of us wake up at fifty and go, how the fuck did I get here? You know, while never really having made any big, significant kind of life changing or life affecting decisions, but rather just and sometimes we end up in a beautiful, amazing place. And some people who have all the plans in the world still end up in a shit place. So it's not that one always equals the other. But just introducing this idea of living a more conscious, intentional life rather than and a proactive rather than a reactive life rather than that kind of unconscious version. But yeah, you ever think about it.
Speaker 2: Like that all the time, all the time. But I'm in this space like you are. So this is our life, you know. I am talking to peopleeople on how to you know, get well if they're if they if they have you know, got out of balance and they've got a chronic illness and or you know, just living their best life. And the reality is, the things that you teach, honestly, are a lot of the tools that we use to get our cellular health back so that we can get our hormone levels back in check, or get those auto antibodies down, get the inflammation, you know, whatever it may be. But it's the sleep, it's the exercise, it's the diet, it's that, you know, the water and not exposing ourselves to all those toxins and alcohol and whatever it may be, you know, stopping all of that. So these things are crucial to feel amazing and to live your best life. So I'm always thinking about it, and I have I've had moments. You know, I have come out of chronic illness, and there been times that I feel great, and even though I'm well on paper, i'm well. You know, I don't have a thyroid autoimmune disease anymore. There are so many wonderful things in my life. The reason why I wasn't one hundred percent sitting they're happy with you while you're talking about your great day is because I feel like I'm probably making a lot of excuses and I'm sure you can help me during this session. And maybe the listeners is that I do try to plan, but I have gotten into not a new habit, but it's definitely becoming too much of a consistent sort of excuses and pushing things aside. In the morning, it's like, well, I can't go to the gym because I really have to get those emails done, or I didn't get that recording done yesterday for that webinar and da da da dada, so and I am very productive in the mornings, but that's the time that I also need to train, and it's just become too much of a you know, an excuse. I'm making excuses. And you mentioned about waking up at fifty you know, I'm only forty six, but I'll be forty seven this year. I'm only three years away, and I'm noticing some changes in my body, but I haven't really seen before. Even though my goes up and down, I've kind of gotten away with it a bit. Like I can see don't tell anyone, don't tell like anyone on the podcast, I can see some cellulite of my legs, and I've been very lucky genetically. Maybe I'm lucky that that hasn't been an issue. But I got to start doing some things, and I can't keep checking emails in the morning or doing this or doing that. And I'm wondering, do you have a fixed schedule? I mean, you can't have a fixed schedule. Life's always throwing things at you. But help me, who has the knowledge, who knows what I should do, but is not doing what I should do? You know, what would what would you say to me? Craig?
Speaker 1: So I would say to you, I mean, there's no three step plan, you know that. And what I'm going to suggest to you if you ask me tomorrow, I might take a slightly different approach. And but I kind of think I was talking about this exact thing to someone yesterday and I said, you know, like, the one thing you can't replace is your body. You can get a new job, you can get more money, you can get another husband or wife, and not that I'm suggesting that anyone. You can you know, you can get a new house, you can live someone else.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I'm overthinking that getting a new husband. I was like, my first thought was no, I would never do that. And I was like, maybe you could do that. I was like, no, we won't do that.
Speaker 1: Oh definitely, I'm not suggesting you do. I think some people should, some people shouldn't. But anyway, but I just think that, like, I'm not genetically gifted. My genetics are not terrible, but they're not great. I mean, Mum and Dad have had you know, Mum's had cancer three times. She's had a heart attack. Dad's had two heart attacks. Dad's are diabetic. Bah bah bah blah. Like there's a bunch of stuff in our family. Right. Having said that, I was lucky, I think that I had a bit of a revelation when I was young, and I kind of started on the journey when I was fourteen and really haven't deviated too much periodically. I have, but but I kind of think like this. I think, all right, without being weird or obsessed or a pain in the ass to the rest of the world, what's the best thing that I can do for me for my body? What are the best things? And so I just go, you know, like, I've got to walk at least ten thousand steps a day, So every day I walk at least doesn't matter if it's convenient, inconvenient. I'm in Melbourne, I'm in state, I'm overseas. I've walked ten thousand steps in an airport to get my steps in right, So I do that. So I lift weights every day. If I don't every day, if I have a miss, that's okay. But for the most part, I don't drink. I don't smoke, I don't do booze, I don't do drugs. I sleep at least seven hours a night on average, most eight. So what I do is I just try to tick all the normal boxes. I try to manage stress, which I very I think it's probably fifty percent genetics, and although my mother's very fucking anxious, so maybe maybe it's more just work. But I rarely get stressed or anxious. I'm very grateful for that, and I have. I think an important and often overlooked part of physical and mental health is our social life. So I'm really fortunate that I have healthy interactions and healthy relationships and people that care about me. I think that impacts physical health more than people understand. But long winded answer, I would say, all right, if I followed you around and I just I observed you over a week, not in a creepy way, but in a public how you live, how you how you move, how you interact with others, how you do your job, would I get a really good insight into what matters most to you, into your values. And if you said to me one of my apart from looking after your family and all that, but one of my core values is personal health, physical health, mental health, then I would say, is your daily protocol reflective of that? Is your typical operating system in alignment with how important you say these things are? Or are you stopping and starting? So I think that when I say to people what do you want to do? Be? Create? Change? What do you want to do be? Create? Change? Very typical Craig sentence or question. They'll go this, this, this and this, and then I go great, now, based on that information, what for you needs to be non fucking negotiable, right, absolute, Like these things I am doing every day, not for a little while, not for a few months, not when it's sunny, not when I'm motivated. These are just things that are They're part of my normal operating system now. Not because I love to do them necessarily, or not because they're painless or fun necessarily, but because these things are what's required for me to live in my best body, have my best health, and all those other things. So I think it's about creating accountability for you. Even though you're very smart, smarter than me for sure, more educated. You know you are a genius, but you and I both know smart people who do fucking stupid things. So it's like having a gym membership doesn't guarantee you're going to get in shape, because most people have a gym membership, don't fucking go most people who are smart. I know some people who are academically brilliant and practically fucking idiots, right, and you know that too.
Speaker 2: Look at the people that work in the health industry. You know a lot of people that work in the health industry, A lot of you know, doctors, that are there to educate us are really really unwell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think like part of firstly, I want to be healthy. I want my brain to work greater. I want my body, my spine, my immune system, my gut, by microbiome. I want all the bits of me to be somewhere close to optimal for my potential. Right, I'll never be optimal, but hopefully I'll be somewhere in the ballpark. That's what I want. And then when I am that, my brain works better, I'm more productive, I'm a better human to be around. I'm less anxious, I think more clearly, I'm a better problem solver, I'm a better conflict resolver, I'm a better communicator, I'm a better son. Right, so me managing me is a gift to the people around me, because when I don't manage me, I'm a prick. And I don't want to be a prick. I want to be great at as great as I can be for my ability, which is limited. But I want to be as good as I can be. And I think there's I'll shut up after this, but I think there's a real mindset in our culture which is that, And it might not necessarily be overt, but it's definitely there is that, you know, we make decisions and think about what people should and shouldn't do based on a number on a calendar. Whereas my goal, one of my goals is to be better at a lot of things when I'm sixty five than right now and I'm sixty one, And because of course there's an inevitability of physiological, psychological, and cognitive decline over time, but the rate at which that happens, of course, is largely up to me. Choices, behaviors, habits, lifestyle, thinking, operating system right, And so I'm not unrealistic, I'm not diluted, but I go, well, fuck, could I actually when I'm sixty five? Could I be as strong as I am now or a little bit stronger? Could I have the same bone density or better? Could I have better flexibility and range of movement? Could I have less aches and pains? Could I know more stuff? Could my brain work as well or better? Is that possible? And the answer is for most of that yes, Then the question is cool, how do I do that? What's the price I need to pay? And will I pay the price? I feel like a lot of people deny want the top of the mountain, but they don't want the climb. Like everyone's enamored with winning. Everyone's enamored with success. And that's why we live in a culture where quick fixes and magic pills and two minute abs sell like a motherfucker, because when you and I get on our respective high horses and go look, it's not going to be fun, quick, easy, or painless. They just swipe and go next. I don't want that. I don't want to do that. I want I want to. I want to fucking I want o zembic, I want, I want.
Speaker 2: I've got a few of those people. I've got a few of those, but I'm working with them right now, not because I've recommended it, because they are my clients and have gone down that path.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and let me just clarify, and for some people that's the way to go, but not all. You know.
Speaker 2: So I have one right now, and she's so nutrient deplete. She's like we reviewed her food diary, and you know, I hope she's not. I would never say her name anyway, but we know she can't eat a lot of food because obviously she's having these medications. When we actually looked at the amount of sugar. Her sugar intake every single day was higher than her protein. I said to her, yes, you're losing weight, but you're hardly eating any food and look at your sugar, and you'd be losing all this muscle. I mean, she's lost sixteen kilo. She ticks the boxes morbidly obese. All this metabolic stuff was happening your things in her body inflammation. I actually when she decided to do that, she only recently was my new client. We're about to do all this stuff. And then her GP put her on it. So she came back and said, I've actually started this. I haven't done what you said. It all happened quickly, and I was like, you know what, I think this is actually right for you. You but you're going to work with me and do all these other things. She's really struggling with the things that I'm telling her to do. She's not taking her supplements. She's still eating some quick and easy foods, drinking a soft drink, one soft drink, only one. She used to have more one soft drink. I said to all she has to do, and this probably comes back to what I'm asking you, Craig, I said, all I want you to do right now between now and seeing me in the next two weeks, is just drop that one off drink, I said, because one all that sugar's gone. We're going to get a little bit more protein, you know, eat food. I want you to eat something small, and we're making that one change. But that sort almost brings me back to where I'm at. I kind of sort of throw out, Oh, I've been lucky enough to get away with certain things at this age of forty six. I mean, the truth is, I do eat relatively well most of the time. I do take care of myself and so and genetically I'm not great either. I've got FTO fat mass and obesity gene. I put on weight pretty quickly. I can lose it when I do the right things. We all can. But you also talked about cognition, and I think what is great about everything you were talking about and what I was doing in that and the listeners to a probably week which bit can I jump onto? That's going to help me focus on what's important and one of the biggest things that's really important for me and you know this and others might remember it if they've listened to other podcasts, is you know by in a few years time, we'll actually right now, my mum was already starting to have symptoms around cognitive health, mental health stuff, you know, starting to hallucinate. We thought she was going a bit crazy. We thought it was menopause, didn't know it was dementia. But by fifty you know, she was not okay. So and I have those genes. I've got the apoe four ahalil I. You know, we have new research that I came out last year that basically says, by sixty five, the amount of amyloid plaques that people with my genes have is just huge compared to others. But there is so much I can do about it. And I'm lucky that I have that knowledge because I can do so much. I might, I might not ever stop myself getting it. But I truly believe, wholeheartedly, not just out of a belief from you know, from evidence and from what we see in the published literature and studies and everything that I see firsthand with health, that I can at least give myself another ten, if not twenty, healthy years if I do the right thing and d yep. And for me, I think some of these little body changes are probably a good thing because it does highlight and go. Well, you haven't been doing the strength training, you know. I remember the days I used to complain about my quad muscles because they popped out on the side and I didn't like how my muscles looked. I don't have that muscle in my quads anymore. It's like, hang on, where's all that muscle gone? Well? Actually, have you been doing all the strength training like you used to? And you know I've I've let life get in the way and know I'm tired after I travel overseas. You know, I'm prioritizing stuff in the morning with the kids, or prioritizing work. And the truth is I actually have to prioritize the exercise. Everything else isn't too bad. I'm very much focused on sleep. Don't really drink alcohol anymore. As I said, nutritions pretty good, always has been. But the exercise is the thing that has dropped off. And I think for me to get out of this, like I just said, with that, with that patience dropping the coke, I think it has to do something really easy that almost is a no brain. I think because I used to be so fit and so strong, sometimes there's an element of disappointment because I can't train at that level. But I've just got to be happy doing something, you know, and then get back there so that at sixty five, just like you, I am stronger than I am right now, and I want that. I want that to and I can be if I know, if I do the right things, I could be stronger at sixty five than what I am now at forty six. So yeah, look what.
Speaker 1: Gives me hope for you and me and for the general public is like I get asked all the time, not that I'm fucking special, right, but people are interested in how I live and how I eat, and how often I train, and at least once once a gig, like when I do a corporate gig and i'm up the front. I don't wear suits much, but if i'm if I'm in a pair of jeans and a T shirt, which is my normal kind of standard. Fair, It's clear that I'm in quite good shape for my age, right. I don't mean that to be on any level egotistical, but I'm not out of shape. I'm quite lean. There's veins and shit going on in muscles, and people like, fuck, how old are you? And I tell them, and then I say, but look, I don't have great genetics, by the way. I was a morbidly OBEs kid, by the way, you know. And I tell them about the normality and the mediocrity of me, and I say, but this is what I do because guys, more guys than women, ask me about what do you eat? How often? Because they go, fuck, I want to be I want to be jacked. So I tell them what I do and then nine out of ten go, oh, fuck that I'm not doing that because they want they want the result, they don't want the work. And I know that I'm a fucking broken record with this. But the amount of people who know what to do but don't do what they know because what they should be doing is, as I always say, not comfortable, quick, easy, or painless, right, And so I will just keep asking different people till we get an answer that's comfortable or just you know, we'll try another pill, we'll try another quick fix, we'll try another shortcut, we'll try another fuck whatever, and it just and the problem is that in this all this choosing of let's call it the easy path, which, by the way, is an illusion, because.
Speaker 2: It is an illusion if you don't mind me, don't mind me jumping in. Like even my patient I talked to you about yesterday, you know, she's on track for more health issues down the track. Yes, she's lost weight, and that is great because metabolically she was you know, she's young too, to be that, to be that, to be that big was dangerous. But this losing sixteen kilos on this medication over this last few months actually isn't long term health. And she's going to suffer because there's the protein deficiency. So she when she eventually comes off the medication, you can't stay on this stuff lifelong. She's lost her muscle and these so she's already she said, she's got a constant sore throat. She's feeling so run down. You know, she's going to get sick and other things can come about from that. I mean, I've had another patient who went into hospital with chronic pancreatitis. The doctor didn't tell her that one of the side effects is pancreatic answer, so she came off the medication straightaway. She's a well known radio host actually, but yeah, so you know this quick fix is not is not the magic pill. It comes with consequences and the journey that you and I you know, offer people, even though it can be a little bit longer, and even though you know we have our eye have like I'm expressing my struggles with it right now, the truth is that's what makes you feel better and that's what gives you true health because it's not just about weight and the physical stuff. Mean, it's great to look good. You know, you look great with your muscles. I can't believe I disclosed the freaking cell. You're like, but we always and it's not a podcast if I don't say something stupid about myself and tell the world. But you know that's what I focus on. But the truth is, it's so much more than that. It's so much it's that being present with your family, with yourself, enjoying life. And that comes from having a brain that works, a body that works. Yeah, so so much more than just losing a few kilos. I'm going to get off my high horse now.
Speaker 1: So I'm doctor Denise. You and I are on the same but look, and there's another really important part to this is when you when you choose the what you think is the easy option, what you think is the comfortable, quick fix of fuck, I can I can actually hack this. Right, When you are constantly avoiding the thing that is hard or uncomfortable or uncertain and unfamiliar, you rob yourself of the opportunity to build strength and to build resilience, and to build understanding and skill and capacity to be able to do hard things in hard times. Right And so when the shit does hit the fan, and it fucking hits the fan for everybody, because you've constantly taken the easy option, now you have no strength, Now you have no adaptability, Now you have no resilience because you've never chosen hard. You've always chosen convenience over effectiveness, or the easy path over the right path. Right now, I don't think we all need to be up to our next in adversity fucking day in day out. But I know, and you know, like when I'm working hard, when I'm doing hard shit, whether it's hard shit in the gym, or hardshit in business or hardship shit in doing a PhD, It's like, this is where I become better, This is where I build me. And you know, by choosing the magic pill, whatever that looks like in real life, that metaphoric magic pill, you are losing over the long term and gaining something maybe in the short term. But as we said, it's an illusion, and that is that, you know, like the amount of people that I've had, we've spoken about this maybe two times, I reckon, but you know how that that whole thing rate of perceived exertion, how hard we think we're working in the gym, you know, and we tell ourselves this story, and the amount of people that have gone to me when I say, all right, so what do you I think you're working out right now? And they say eight or nine? And I know they're working at four right just because I know, And I go, okay, so I don't want to you know, this actually sounds like an insult.
Speaker 2: It's not.
Speaker 1: It's a compliment. You're not working at eight or nine. You've got no fucking idea what eight or nine looks like right at the minute. So here's what I want you to do. And so the person who does ten reps on something and then tells me that was real hard, And then I say, I want we're going to do the same way I want you to do twenty thirty forty reps. And they look at me like I'm fucking strange, And I say I promise you you've got no idea of your potential. And then nearly every time that person will do thirty or forty reps, the person that a minute ago could only do ten and might struggle on twelve or thirteen. So you tell them a new story, and the story is based I mean, I'm not guessing like I'm pretty good at that shit, right, because I've been in that position so many times. Then all of a sudden, and it's not even about doing the forty reps. It's not about the physiology. It's about the psychological consequence of somebody going, ah, my body's great. My problem is my thinking. How do I get my thinking out of the way? How do I get my thinking out of the way of my body's potential for amazingness? Like you know it the shit that we can do. And this is not me trying to be positive or encouraging, but you know, I go in the gym and I do a set of chins, and I'm sixty one without great genetics, and I can do twelve or fifteen. Do twelve or fifteen chins.
Speaker 2: You go get it, And you're lifting a lot of muscle too, right, So when you think about the weight that you're it's it's a weight because you're full of muscle.
Speaker 1: And I'm not boasting. I'm just saying, actually, what I can do, Go get the average thirty year old from fucking downtown wherever and say now. And that's not because they don't have the capacity. That maybe got even better genetics than me, but it's just because they're not doing that. And if you said too, like I have this really common experience, I'll have whatever, two hundred people in a room and I'll go, put up your hand if you'd like to be a bit stronger, a bit leaner, a bit fitter, a bit healthier, Like every hand goes up, but none of them are doing the work to create that, Like they all want it, but they don't want to do, like they want the outcome, but not the journey. And then you go, all right, now you all just told me voluntarily that you want your body to be different. Who's going to do what's required? Like, who's going to take that journey? And I don't say that to make people uncomfortable. I just say that to underline the fact that all the talking, all the theory, all the research, all the YouTube fucking watching, all the U Project. Listening all good, but none of it's doing the work. Like ultimately, Ultimately, I think, and I said this, I had a podcast with one of our regulars, Bobby, just before I said, ultimately, what really matters, I think for a lot of people is what we do when no one's looking, when no one's cheering, when no one gives a fuck about you and your cellar, like Denise, when no one's going, ah, go you you're fucking fuck all that, fuck all that. Show me what you can do when no one cares. Show me what you can do in the darkness, and then bring that into the light, and then people will see show me what you can do when you don't feel like it. You know, we have incredible potential, but our mind, our laziness, our procrastination, our bullshit gets in the way.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you about that. I've got two things. I want to ask them and try to remember the other one. So I focus on one thing at a time because they're two different things. And the listeners like, what is you're talking about? So the brain stuff, right, you're doing a PhD, this sort of neuropsychology stuff, and you know, for someone like myself who honestly does have the knowledge and not even not even the knowledge about you know, exercise is good for me. We've actually got studies to show that it reduces mild cognitive decline, not even just in the in the sense of reducing risk for you know, cardiovascular disease, cognitive decline stuff. We actually have some studies to show it can once you even start to get these memory disorders, exercise can reverse that. So we have so many good studies without a doubt. I know this, But why even though I want this, I know this? What's going on in my little brain in the morning that tells me, Yes, my emails are important and my business is important? Like is it some kind of weird thing or I'm not putting myself Like, is there is there some unconsciously thing. Is it a safety thing or is it a self worth thing? Is there something under that that people tend to go to a place and sort of is it a protective mechanism? I don't know what I'm asking you, do you know what I'm I'm trying to get too, Like why is my brain? Why? Because I just go sometimes I go denise you and then there's stuff at the time I'm stuffing around trying to do emails or something. Anyway, you probably could have actually gone to the gym as well, because you've just done this and you've done that, and can you give me some insight, Craig Harper, Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: All right, So a couple of things I want to talk about. So part of the answer to your question is that we live in moments, and in the moment, quite often we just choose the thing that's nice, we choose the thing that's comfy, we choose the thing that's familiar, and we do tell ourselves, yeah, I'll get to that later, but we tend not to get to that later quite often, right, So there's that immediacy of you know, like, why do people who are out of shape physically, let's just use that to let's they're out of shape, they're unhealthy, They've got lots of issues as a result of their diet and their lifestyle, and they know they know that this, this shitty diet is sabotaging their fucking lifespan, health span for everything, quality of life, fuck everything, But in the moment, they still go to the bakery by two pies, two snot blocks, and a chocolate milk, right, Like why, Well, it's because all of that shit tastes amazing to them in the moment, and so it hijacks their dopamine and it's fucking amazing or their brain and it's like, fuck, this is great and I feel incredible and this shit is magic and I'm having a bad day and this takes me out of it and I'm a bit flat and I'm a bit depressed and fuck it. He fuck it's a drug, Like it's a way to create a biochemical shift that feels good. And we love feeling good and we don't love, you know. And the other part of the story is too like if that story right, that that guy or girl that does that, Now, if that guy or girl in the moment instead has a fucking chicken salad, well the joy ain't there for them. Might be for you or me, but it ain't there for them because they want the other meal. But also what doesn't happen is instant weight loss or fat loss. So the story is, fuck it, I'm going to eat the snot block and the pies and the beg M and I'll start tomorrow. And that becomes a twenty three year story, This constant bullshitting ourselves that we're about to start, going to start very soon. So many people that I talk to about the last meal these questions, and today is never the day that they're going to start. It's always soon, but not today. It's always next Monday. It's always when the kids are finished school, holidays, or it's always when you know their ankle's better or something, but it's not now. So we have this incredible capacity to rationalize stupid fucking behavior.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's resonating with me. I think it's the rationalizing because I'm like, oh, I've got I really have got all this work to do.
Speaker 1: We can make excuses sound like reason, especially you you're smart. I can. I can convince myself with complete bullshit because because I'm a good communicator, I can make it sound like fucking science. It's just garbage. And there's have you heard you know, there's a really interesting thing that we may have spoken about. I can't remember that. Huberman talks about the anterior mid singulate cortex. Have you heard about that?
Speaker 2: We have not talked about it? Share it with me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So it's part of the brain. It's called the anterior mid singulate cortex. Folks, AMCC. So it's part of the brain that when you do hard stuff, it grows. It literally creates new neural pathways and it physically gets bigger. And it doesn't even matter what the thing is. It could be vacuuming, it could be changing your fucking doner cover. It could be going for a run, it could be ringing your mum and having a hard common station. But there are lots of things that we don't want to do that we know that we should do. And as we lean into this, like a really simple silly example is sometimes I'll go downstairs and I've had a big day, I've been up since four thirty or five, and there's like, you know, a few dishes and I just want to go. It's only me. No one's going to see them. I'll wash them in the morning. They're in the sink. It's like, and I'll never leave them in the sink. I know no one's going to see it. I know it makes no difference to anyone, but I will always wash them. I'll wash them, i'll drive them, I'll put them away because weak meat wants to leave them there. And it's like, what we're I believe what we're doing. When we're leaning into things that are somewhat uncomfortable be mentally, emotionally, physically, we're actually building our capacity to function at a higher level in the middle of you know, the shit that life throws at us. And I think like if were you, if I were coaching you right now, I would say, tell me one thing that you're going to do for the next seven days, a new thing, and you're going to do it seven days in a row. And it's not an if or maybe, or if things are okay, or if the kids this, or my husband that. What would that thing be for you? You've got fourteen hundred and forty minutes in a day. What's that one thing that's starting today you will do and tell me and the listeners and you'll commit to and actually do it.
Speaker 2: I am going to do it. I am going to commit to going to the gym in the morning, like waking up and just going straight away, just getting to the gym. I think sometimes I, as I said, we're talking about rationalizing, I sit there and go, oh, that class, isn't it a good time? Like there's always these things I've just got to go. The thing is I used to be a trainer. I've got sirt three and four don't work in the industry anymore, but I've started exercise physiology. I don't actually need someone to tell me what to do or be in a class like I can just rock up in the morning, you know, And that used to be my life. So I am really looking forward to the next podcast actually to tell you where I have. But I'll do it for the next seven days because I know once you start doing these things too, it does get easier. And then there are points in my life where sometimes I go, how did I not do this? How did I not? Then you start to go, how did I fall out of the habit? But we do fall out of the habit, and again, you know, even myself with all this knowledge and having, you know, having this desire to be around for my kids and my family and all this kind of stuff, I still drop off. So for the next seven days, I'm going to wake up in the morning and go straight to the gym. I don't care what's on or not on. I'm just going to go because once I'm there, I'll be moving my body, feeling better.
Speaker 1: I'm going to be your accountability partner. So every day after you've been to the gym. You send me a message and this is what I want. How long you trained for and what you did? Just a snapshot. So went to the gym, train my legs and whatever, train my legs and core. I was there for forty minutes, or I did twenty minutes on the treadmill incline walking at six and a half and I did twenty minutes of upper body weight. It's just a snapshot, and I will respond every day. So I'll be your accountability partner for the next seven days. You know what I think? I think for that speaking to this, like you know if you lived over the road for me in some alternate reality and I said, hey, I want you to train three days a week with me, because I train every day, So pick three days that work for you. There's no way that you wouldn't do that, right of course. Yeah, so you go. Fuck I'm gonna train with Harps three days. I go. You pick the day, you pick the time. I'll work around you. Now, barring some legit reason, there's no day that you wouldn't turn up. So let's remove me from the equation and just have that mindset. Do you know what I'm saying like, it's the thing if if I'm meeting you and I'm training you or helping you or encouraging you, you don't want to let me down. So you well, hey, Champ, don't let you down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's so true. When I lived in Adelaide, there was a group of us. This is obviously pre kids and stuff, but there was a group of us that all trained together. Not all of us at once, but we had training buddies, like I had my friend Olgie Michelle, Like, we were all into fitness, and you know, we would meet each other at the gym or for this class, or to go for a run, or to go to the park and just do a bit of a workout, you know. You know, even back then we were young and sort of you know, socializing. But even the next day after you know, going out on Saturday out and drinking. We would go to Mount Lofty on a Sunday, didn't matter how long we're out for what we did. We'd meet on a Sunday morning and we would either run or walk Mount Lofty, like we just these are the things we did. And I think when you do have those people around you, I mean, as you said, You shouldn't have to have that person. You should be your own doing it for yourself. But if you can have a group or a person keeping you accountable, it definitely makes a difference. And there's no doubt that I am not going to message you, you know, over the next seven days. So that's exciting. I almost want to get back on a podcast earlier so I can be like, this is what happened, this is what didn't happen. Let's just assume because right now I'm really optimistic that that sounds easy. You know, I think that's what it is. It needs to be something because we are busy, there's so much going on. Some people are dealing with overwhelmed. Some people have got emotional things in their lives. They're looking after a parent or a child, or they've got work stress, or they've got this. It just needs to be something easy, and you know, just going getting up and going to the gym. I'm not setting any expectations. I'm just going to go and do a bit of a workout and then I'm going to let you know what I did. I can do that.
Speaker 1: Well, I've got a new plan. Melissa, who's Melissa, Who's the boss, of me, as you well know, I'm mascarade as the boss, but she's the boss. Now, remember we delayed our podcast a week or two we did. Now I think she told me to check in with you. This is very terrible etiquette on a podcast, but fuck it, everybody, let's pull back the curtain and see what happens. Really, I think that she told me you and I have another one on the eighth, which is two weeks from today.
Speaker 2: Well, there you go, let's stick with it. It should be in my calendar. I'm going to look as we are here, that is the first and I've got you in on the eighth at Now.
Speaker 1: I don't, well, so what time we'll do that off here?
Speaker 2: But no, I do, I do. You're on the seventh, You're on the seventh, Wednesday the seventh, at twelve pm. We're on the same time, Queensland, Melbourne. So that is so I'm going to be back to tell everyone and I'm going to do fourteen days listeners.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, we're going to do that. We're going to well that's third end days from now, but whatever we're going to we're going to do that. We're going to check in and you know, you're right. I think the it's pulling down the old buddy blind here. It's exciting out there. But I mean the thing is, as I said before, Yes, it is to be able to be self motivated and do the work when no one's looking or cheering. As is. It's very important at times, but also because there are going to be times when no one gives a fuck if you work out, or if you're going great or not great. But I agree with you, like if you can have a training partner, or a walk buddy or a run buddy or whatever, or even a personal trainer for some By the way, even though I trained people for years and employed hundreds of trainers, I'm not a massive advocate. I'm not pro oraanti. I think for some people a trainer is the right fit and the right thing I think, but not for everyone.
Speaker 2: I'm one hundred trainer train I would love to have a trainer. Tried to get my old trainer back. I've talked about her in the early podcast. She's no longer doing that. I've tried to convince her, but I stopped with her. I think we might have discussed this even on a podcast at a really silly time. It was when I was dealing with caring for my dad, and I felt like every training session I was just she became for like a counselor, and then I started feeling guilty. I was like, I'm just telling her all my problem. This is not what I want to be doing. I wasn't in a great space, probably when I needed to train the most, and that's actually when I kind of pulled back from a lot of the exercise when I needed it more than ever. But the issue with me and I've tried. I've got a gym and I spoke to someone there. I can't commit to anything because you know, in two weeks, I am around for two weeks, which is fantastic, but then I'm away for a week. In June, I'm in the UK and Europe for three weeks, and you know, I travel, you know, by the way, I had the best time in New York in February. I'm trying to think I have we delayed. I haven't spoken to you, sinces. In February. I was a good girl, got off the plane, walked around Central Park in the morning. I had my greens. I had no coffee. I'm a massive coffee lover. I put all this stuff in place, because I think we talked about it in the last podcast. I had that what I now know possibly was a panic attack in Jubai after doing five talks in two days and coming from Saudi, and so the travels hitting me a little bit harder. So I went to New York and I actually gave myself a plan and I stuck to that plan, and I felt phenomenal. And I actually think I did one of the best talks I've ever done. So this is one of the biggest integrative medicine conferences ever IHS. So it's where I saw Dale Brettison, who was the first person to show me in twenty eighteen you could reverse Alzheimer's. I didn't even know. So this is the best of the best, and I delivered. I'm actually without sounding conceded, because you know, when you do a good job speaking. I had the room, I felt it. I was in flow by the way I took elphenene. If we want to talk about some supplements, and I took twenty milligrams of creatine' sorry grams, twenty grams of cretine. I've never taken that much preteen in my life. Just before speaking to you because I was feeling a bit flat and I've been listening to those podcasts. But yeah, when we talk about these things, you know, the sleep, the exercise, taking care of ourselves. I went to New York, massive flight, super nervous, and I did such a good job and I felt fantastic. But I did all the right things. You know. The night before there was a speaker's dinner. I didn't drink alcohol because I know it affects my sleep, even though there was more than you know, I could want. Yeah, it went really really well.
Speaker 1: Yeah good, but myself. Do you know what I love? I love that you are very down to earth. You do not have a big ego, and I know that would have been hard for you to say, but I'm proud of you because like, I'm terrible at that. I hate saying I'm good at it, even before when I said for my age, I'm in not bad shape, but I've always got to go. Oh, but by the way, I don't have great genetics, and by the way, I'm mediocre, and by the way, I've got to put in all these disclaimers because I don't know. Maybe i'm but I feel like sometimes when you do this shit in Australia, you can get pulled apart really quickly if people even get a fucking hint that you're up yourself, right. Yeah, So it's and it's a pity. It's a pity because you know, like sometimes like when you do something like that where you know you did a good job, and be times where you go that wasn't my best work. But also you'll say that I've done gigs that were two out of ten, and I've done gigs that were for me a nine, a nine and a half, and you come away but you don't want to say that twenty one because so it's, yeah, that's a whole conversation itself, isn't it.
Speaker 2: I did a webinar a couple of weeks ago early morning for the US, and it I mean, it wasn't bad, but I knew it wasn't good. Like I actually thought about saying to the people, can I just record this again and send you a recording like it wasn't bad? And sometimes you've just got to be okay with just okay. But I didn't finish it going I'm a champion. I finished it going okay. You got through, but you just it felt hard and if it felt hard for me, imagine what it is for the listener. So, as I said, when I was in New York, though I was in the moment you talk about flow state, like the energy was amazing. It was just people were with me. It was it was great. It was so good. That's what That's why we do it, right, you just when you're in those moments.
Speaker 1: I mean, it sounds very self centered and egotistical, but and you I don't do it for that reason, but there are times when you are. You know, You've spoken at my conference, the You Project Conference, and we have about nearly seven hundred people in that room at Deacon and we've done a bunch of those, and a couple of times where I've done just me and no one else. I've done a half day in that room, and one in particular where I don't even know what was happening. It was like I was fucking channeling someone much smarter than me. Rights And at the end of it, at the end of it, like everyone had gone, and there was a whole lot of like people stayed, people wouldn't go, and everyone wanted a hug or a photo or a question answered or just a fucking because some magic shit happened. It's like it happened despite me, not because of me. And I know this sound cheezy, but it's like I was a conduit to the experience, like I wasn't the creator of it. It just kind of And and Melissa came up after everyone had gone, and she doesn't swear generally, and she goes to me, what the fuck was that? I go, I don't know, I don't know. She goes, that was crazy, She goes, what was happening? Like I looked around the room. At one stage we were just having this moment, me and the audience. It was like six hundred people. If you closed your eyes, you'd think there was no one in the room, like complete connection. And I looked around and I can't remember what I was talking about, but I got a little bit emotional talking about something. And I don't know how many, but it looked like everyone in the room was crying. It probably wasn't but half And there was just this magic and it wasn't manufactured and it wasn't scripted, And yeah, so well done, you well done? You did you did? You get great feedback?
Speaker 2: Phenomenal. I got invited to probably what is the biggest event in just They said, can you do the exact same talk, which, by the way, I've never done the exact same talk. Then I know you're corporate, so you tend to have a gig. I get up and I just always you know, new things a similar topic. But I was told, can you just do that exact talk at what's called a forum A five M is the austrail a form, but that it's actually an anti aging obviously they've moved on from anti aging. But I think it has seven and a half thousand people. It's in December in Vegas, but it brings in all the people in the healthy aging space. So but yeah, you know, it doesn't always happen. You know, I didn't even call it the flow state when it happened. It's when I've got back. I've been talking to people about that and it's made me realize and I think you are right. There's a moment where we channel something and it's even bigger than us. You know. It's that it's that calling. I'm here to share a message, and because I was feeling good, I was calmer than I expected. I wasn't in my head, you know, when I'm in my head. Like I just spoke at APP a few weeks ago, which is a big pharmacy conference. Had seven a half thousand people. Not that many people at my thing, but it did go really well. I got grade feet. I don't know if you've seen. I was on the news. I got like four media gigs out of it. They absolutely loved it. But I was very in my head. I was very in my head, you know. So obviously people liked it, but I wasn't in the flow state. I wasn't there just going I am sharing this with you and connecting. I was, Yeah, I was a bit bit too nervous. Sometimes your nerves ruin it for you when it's so sad, because when I can let go of that and be in the moment, it's actually like beautiful. You're connecting. But sometimes you're in your head and yeah, it's interesting just to observe all of that though, and it comes back too, probably when I'm feeling at my best, you know, the sleep and the exercise and the whole everything, and even more reason for me to take such good care of myself so that when I am trying to do what I love doing sharing this information, I can do it in a more enjoyable way, because when you are tired and you are a bit stressed, then it's like, oh my god, what did I just say?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 2: And no one even cares if your stuff up? Anyway, even in New York, it wasn't perfect. I was just I didn't even I just felt good. I made jokes, you know, even my my Australian humor, which sometimes does not believe me. I've had some real like bombed out terrible responses to my sarcastic you know way. But you know I was making some jokes and had some humor and everyone was laughing like yeah, anyway. I know.
Speaker 1: Funny how sometimes our mind gets in the way when you think like your mind is the gift, well yeah, and sometimes your mind is the problem. Yeah, you know, because you can over it. It's like people are often surprised that I pretty much don't prepare for things, as in sit there right notes that you know, I go, I don't There's nothing I need to learn between now and tomorrow. There's like I'm not going to get new informat, like yeah, so I would literally go into a like next week. In fact, I'm coming to Coinsland next week. But I did we're about Goldie, I think a bit far for me, but you know, but I've got Yeah, so a half day I've got to do Tuesday in Melbourne and a half day in on the Gold Coast on Tuesday. But I literally take quite often I'll take one a four sheet of paper and I'll have twenty dot points on it, and sometimes it doesn't even come out of my pocket. But in terms of actual written notes slides video zero zero because for me, when it's scripted or choreographed or overly planned, it gets me out of flow and it stops me from building real rapport and reading the room and understanding in real time what's required. When I think I'm sixty one, I literally started talking about this stuff when I was eighteen. What the fuck am I going to learn by tomorrow? Like? Why should I? If I'm sitting with you, like right now, we just talk. It's not awkward, there's no painful gaps. It's not like, oh shit, what will we talk about? And then if somebody wants to meet with me and we have an hour and a coffee and a chat, there's no prep. There's like, let's just sit down and then for me, I just expand that to an audience and it's like, well, I'm talking about the things I always talk about, except instead of you know, N equals one, it's N equals one hundred or one thousand. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Is that why you don't come along to the gigs that I sometimes have recommended you for, like with app them in the Australian College of Nutrition Environmental Medicine. When I want you to come and talk to the doctors about exercise and you politely decline these requests.
Speaker 1: That's not true, Ask me, I would gladly come.
Speaker 2: I've given them your name and they let me know that you've declined.
Speaker 1: That's not true. I would never decline. You know where I spoke at the Royal Australian College of Surgeons and your conference. That was fucking interesting. Yeah, no, but one hundred per we'll talk about that.
Speaker 2: Off air, all right, All right, there's all these things that we're just we're just sharing everything. We are pulling back today having a chat. But it is nice. We never prepare and I think that the authenticity that comes across to is what helps connect. By the way, if anyone who is interested in methylation and all the stuff that Gary Breker talks about in this and that Craig and I are going to talk about it one day. We were going to talk about on the last last podcast, But one day we might talk about the topics we plan. Otherwise we just come in and but today I needed help everyone. So I appreciate the list for being on this journey with me and getting me back into the gym. And I hope that someone else is writing down what do you need to do for the next seven days and who can you reach out to to text? Is it your mum, auntie, cousin, neighbor, do the same thing, you know, check in in a couple of weeks and hopefully you're on this journey with me. You know, wouldn't that be amazing? Or coming along to what you're starting next week? Did you say next week you've got a thing? Yep. I think that group mentality makes a big difference. It's a really good starting point.
Speaker 1: We recently did a seven day kind of ended up being a fucking You know, when you have a little idea, I'll just do this thing, and you think this is going to be a one, one or two out of ten effort, it ends up being a nine so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do those things all the time.
Speaker 1: Oh god, I opened Pandora's box. But so anyway, I said on a podcast, I went, you know what, I'm going to do a because you know, we have, obviously, as do you, programs and products and services that people buy. And I said, I'm just going to do seven days of coaching for anyone in the world who wants to be coached by me, free. And at the end, there's no sales, there's nothing, there's no product, there's no program, there's no upsell on sale, there's nothing. And in fact, I'm not even going to talk about any shit other than on the day. So I every day for seven days I recorded a video which people could access. You can go and have a look now if you want. Everyone, and they're still all up there on the U project Facebook page. But every day I would give them about twenty options of things that they could do, tasks either cognitive or physical, or some kind of other challenge that they could do to get a little bit uncomfortable and do something hard, hard ish for seven days. And there was a bunch of options, and I thought, I we'll have you know, thirty or forty people to jump on. We ended up with like seven hundred people doing this thing, and yeah, it would just turned into a goliath, but it was amazing. It was amazing, And it's.
Speaker 2: That collective energy too. I think it's the collective energy everyone coming together supporting each other.
Speaker 1: And people had to like the kind of their commitment was do the work and then once you've done the work, come back to the page and go in, leave a comment and just say complete it. If you want to write more than that, cool, but when we see your name and your little face and completed, we know that you've done the work and this is a good way for you to come and check in, have some accountability, have a bit of process for the seven days. And like I thought, oh, it's not a particularly inspirational or new idea, but yeah, the amount of people that just loved that little bit of somebody else giving a fuck and somebody else caring and somebody else providing some kind of framework and accountability. Yeah, so maybe you and I'll do something one day and yes, like's seven days something that you and I run for your people, my people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, would love to, would love to because this stuff, it's seven days, doesn't sound like a lot, but it can be life changing because then you stick with that habit and you know, sometimes it's two steps forward, one step back, But then you do it again, and then you know, in the first time it might be, well, I'm just you know, stopping alcohol. The next time it might be I'm going to be exercising. The next one is you know, I'm going to go to bed an hour earlier. Every time you're adding in a small habit that actually makes a phenomenal difference to your overall health and well being. So my second question to you before, I didn't want to ask to it once, which is typically what I would do, and then it just you know, throws everything. So I've held on to it, trying to keep the listener engaged because I know my brain can go everywhere practically, so what I've been trying to do and it hasn't worked, but maybe you know it will now. I mean, now I'm going to get up and go to the gym. But I do try to give myself a schedule because you know, I'm busy, so you know, whether it's seeing patients, I'm creating content, I've got meetings, podcasts, et cetera. Do you is that how you do things, you know, do you are you just are you just going with the moment because you know how important is to go out and move and you've got a break or are you actually planning and you're like, at between two and three, I've got a break, so I'm going to go for a walk to the beach whatever. Do you have a schedule and then you have your non negotiables, like how do you do it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's great question. So I'm there's a degree of structure and accountability and non negotiability and also some flexibility depending on what happens on the day so before So we started recording at two o'clock. It's now three oh three, and at one o'clock I decided I was going to walk and get a coffee, which I normally do about that time. And I looked at my steps and my steps were like three thousand for the day. My rock bottom is ten thousand. Usually I do thirteen to fifteen thousand. I had to ring, in fact, you know, I had to ring. I'm going to give her a shout out. Jackie Cooper, five time world champion aerial ski jumper, five time Olympian. So we'd been missing each other and I thought, Okay, so I need to get a coffee, I need to talk to Jackie, and I need to get in some steps. So I just walked I don't know, maybe five thousand steps in about fifty minutes, give or take. I had half an hour on the phone with Jackie, I got my coffee, and then I was back here to meet with you. So I'm very good at multitasking. And also another thing I've started doing is like, even if I'm microwaving my dinner and it's in there for five minutes, I will walk out the side gate and I will walk for five minutes. I'll go and do eight hundred meters just because I'd rather do that than sit on a chair in the kitchen. So yeah, I'm very efficient. But another thing that I do every morning is I essentially say to myself when I'm my little morning richell, I get up. I walk usually now for thirty minutes or so before I get to the cafe. So the cafe is only five minutes away, but I'll detour and I'll take a thirty minute version. Then I sit down. I don't look at anything, I don't scroll, I don't look at social media. I sit down, I have a blank page on my phone in notes, and I go, all right, what do I need to do today? What's the shit that I need to do today? Before I get derailed with looking at other shit? What's the best use of my time and energy and focus today based on what I need to get done? And then I kind of set my to do list for the day. Then, like I know, for example, there's like I had Bobby podcast at eleven thirty, then I had you at two, and I'm meeting some people at the gym at five, so all those things that are set, but the rest of it I just kind of work around it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I like, hey, you said's a derailed, because often you can feel like days get derailed. And I had one of those days yesterday, and you know, some things came through that I thought were done in My assistant was like did it to do now? I was like, wasn't that done ages ago? And then all of a sudden, You're like, oh, my goodness, well thisst needs to be addressed right now because blah blah blah. You know those things. I feel like those things happen a lot, But the reality is, it's life, whether it is a cyclone Alfred, or it's a child thing, or it's a work thing. I think I'm just you know, getting in and with the exercise and stuff like that too. I just have to know that every day there is potentially going to be something unexpected and that is life and be okay with it. And again it comes back to how good you're feeling. Days that I'm great and I'm well rested and I've done some exercise, I'm in a good mood. I can when I'm on, I can deal with so much, but then when I'm not on, it can seem like such a task that just throws me. And in all honest, if I hadn't have canceled the last podcast, I would have messaged you today saying I don't know if I can. I was feeling so flat, But as I said, I was like, you know what, I'm going to experiment. Thank god ive been okay on the podcast. This is real life, responding to more cretine than you've ever had in your life. But I was like, I'm feeling so flat, and you and I just usually get on and talk about whatever what happens if my brain doesn't work, like I just don't know what if I've got anything to give. Yeah, So you know, I had the quarantine, I've had some LTH nine and then I was like, god, am I getting run down? I have some lipis, vitamin C, some B vitamins. So I just gave myself all these vitamins. Whether they've done anything or not. I have to say I do feel better, but I'd probably put most of that onto actually just connecting with you, Like, I'm actually really grateful for this podcast because I'm in such a better mood and I'm feeling good. I'm feeling like, you know, I can get up in the morning and go to the gym and I've connected with you and we've had a chat, and this is what this is who I want to be and what I want to do. So thank you.
Speaker 1: Well, we appreciate you, and you definitely don't need to thank me, but I'll take it. Hey, how do we're going to see you in thirteen days in your new and improved state? Yes? How do people? How do people find you and connect with you?
Speaker 2: Yes, you can find me. I have a website, Doctor Denise Furnace. There is a Facebook group, the Your Genes and Nutrition Community. There hasn't been a lot of action in there, but you know, do pop in and answer questions out every now and again, and of course check in at the You Project because I'm going to be back in a couple of weeks and hopefully on fire, telling you how great everything's been. Or we can list off my excuses and Craig can sort that shit out, sort that shit out.
Speaker 1: Oh that's hilarious. All right, appreciate you, have a good night, enjoy the gym tomorrow will bye. Everyone,