Speaker 1: Apoche production.
Speaker 2: He was a goofy dad, you know. He did all these little funny jokes and as a little kid, I thought they were hilarious.
Speaker 3: Linda Willeman and her husband Darren dropped her father John Jensen home on Sunday after a family lunch. They say he was in good spirits, but the sixty eight year old has disappeared without a trace.
Speaker 2: At no time as he indicated suicidal tendencies.
Speaker 4: That fall has never sat well with me, I'll be honest.
Speaker 5: Well, the discovery of John Jensen's car outside the Lancelon Beach Hotel is a big breakthrough in the police search for the missing ocean reef grandfather.
Speaker 2: Look, he did have a bit of depression and I put the light on and then I just saw blood. Yeah, all these blood footprints pretty much. She was very in your face then and there was there's quite a lot of and I was like, what the hell is happening? And I yelled out and I think he was murdered. No, I hand on my heart.
Speaker 4: I believe he was murdered because this is my dad, this is my story, this is what happened.
Speaker 1: Belle Wilma is John Jensen's youngest daughter, She is an older sister, and as you heard in the last episode, that relationship has become strained since the disappearance of their dad. On June twenty five, twenty seventeen, Belle's mother passed away from a heart attack in the family home, six years before the last moment they saw their dad. Belle was the first person to find a mum's body in the back room. Her dad, Jasper, continued to live in the family house until he went missing.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Absolutely, he wasn't worried. That didn't again, it didn't. That's where he wanted to be, you know.
Speaker 2: That was that was our family home, and we still had had fond memories and.
Speaker 4: And what happened was just, you know.
Speaker 2: A tragic It was a tragic situation, but it wasn't obviously caused by anyone else. It was it was obviously meant to happen. It's no one else was involved. And the only thing I struggled the most sort of going in that back room, but actually going to the house.
Speaker 4: Didn't bother me at all. You know.
Speaker 2: It taught me a few months to sort of get myself okay, just just do it, you know, because I everyone went in there, I just kept saying, Mum, you know the images images there. But you know I got over that fairly quickly, and.
Speaker 1: Jessper had adapted to life without his wife. Across the six years since she passed, he'd started to play golf and hang out with his friends. He had a small but close group of friends because he was a bit of a quiet guy. He enjoyed staying at home watching Kelly in the front room of the ocean roof house that they lived in. Across the period of years, Jawn's health started to suffer. He developed a few medical issues, which made it harder for him to pursue his love of golf. It came to a head in twenty sixteen when he went to his GP for some medical issues.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing that we were trying to get on top of with his peripheral ropathy, and that was basically nerve damage or nerve pain in his feet. I mean, being a laborer, he had back, you know, back problems. But that's fairly fairly common, you know, that brick labor of all his life.
Speaker 4: But you know, the recent thing that had come.
Speaker 2: Up around them was you know, we couldn't couldn't figure out whys for his feet were spelling and things like that. So we're trying to get on top of the neuropathy pain. So I was the one that actually took him to a pain management specialist to try and look at other ways of you know, instead of you know, hard medication and stuff like that, and you know that the sort of stuff to be in mind. So yeah, that that's sort of why I took him there.
Speaker 1: And so in the Corners report, which which was obviously had a look at, it was mentioned he saw a pain specialist, which is I'm guessing the pain specialists you took him to correct His pain was a nine out of ten normally, and when the medication wore off, it was a one out of ten. So this pain medication he was taken was was pretty useful for his pain.
Speaker 2: It was absolutely, absolutely one hundred percent. And yeah, the other issues were sort of flare up.
Speaker 4: It wasn't all the time.
Speaker 2: You know, it was something that he could, you know, we could manage, and he, like you know with other my husbands at chronic fatigue, you know, he's been able to manage, you know, his go through ups and lows and what have you. And Dad was able to do the same thing. Yeah, we were just getting we were getting on top of it. That's fairly normal for any sixty odd year old.
Speaker 1: What sort of drugs was your dad on for his chronic back pain.
Speaker 4: He morphine patches and that worked. That worked really well.
Speaker 2: Obviously, they just played around with the dosage just to get the dosage right. So yeah, the morphine patches worked really well. That didn't help the neuropathy pain. So we were, yeah, just looking at at what other options there were because he was eventually put on this horrendous drug which should not be prescribed to anyone, and especially people you know, in his condition, and with the other drugs that he was on, I think it was it was the wrong move. But he was put on this, this particular drug, and that was the drug which did make him feel really crappy, you know, and it had it had side effects, but he was.
Speaker 4: Not aware of the side effects.
Speaker 2: We were having regular appointments to keep on top of it, and you know, and realized, no, we need to win off this particular medication.
Speaker 4: And that's what exactly what.
Speaker 2: Happened, was that the oxyco no I no, that was actually the neuronton that I'm talking about.
Speaker 4: The obviously codin' again. You know, it was sort of pushed on to him in a little way.
Speaker 2: There was someone else in his life that was sort of saying, here, yeah, this is a good option. It's really good for paying medication. And I was the one going, but this is really strong medication. You know, I'd actually had that when I had had a cesarean, and I was like, Dad, this is pretty strong stuff. And you know, he quickly realized, well, that's it's not actually helping him, and you know, not a lot. He was a doctor saying, you know, take this sparingly, and he was taking it sparely. I remember Dad going me towards you and you know, I've got so much.
Speaker 4: I'm not not taking meny at all.
Speaker 2: Like he had thirty sitting there and he goes the doctor's like, well, do you need anymore?
Speaker 4: And he goes, no, I've still got like thirty there.
Speaker 2: So the doctor he wasn't taking you know, he'd gotten on top of that that that was not the issue.
Speaker 1: And so he was also an antidepressant, but he stopped pretty quickly.
Speaker 2: Okay, so he was put on a couple of different anti presents, but for different reasons. First of all, it was to use as a nerve blocker, so it wasn't actually for depression. There's various types of anti presentants that are not necessarily for depression. It's spent for nerve problems. And he was trialed I think one or two different ones which they just didn't sit well in a diarrhea and vomiting and so you know, he sees those quite quickly.
Speaker 4: So that's why he sees those.
Speaker 2: And I guess around this period, which was about a couple of months period, so we're talking late twenty sixteen sort of you know, December, which was when they were really trying to figure out, you know, we get his medications right.
Speaker 4: But again that's fairly normal. I look at his GP records.
Speaker 2: They were doing the right thing, seeing him fortnightly going on, we've got to just this this, and it was going, yeah, he's feeling better, and you know, we're getting.
Speaker 4: On top of it.
Speaker 2: It was a brief period of time that has been made out to be for twelve months.
Speaker 4: It wasn't.
Speaker 2: It was you know, one or two months. They're like, okay, you know Saw, and new Doc dur Any goes, well, let's get off, isn't it ront And that was the first thing they had to do.
Speaker 4: Well, started weaning him off.
Speaker 2: So you know, over that January through to up until May, he was fully weaned off this medication.
Speaker 4: And you have to wean it. You can't just take it off.
Speaker 1: What is that medication?
Speaker 6: Sorry?
Speaker 2: And what is It's neuron or gabba penton. It's supposed to reduce the swelling in your fee tour and I think for memory it sort of did help the pain. But you know, it had horrible slide effects. So it's a drug that I don't think he should ever have been put on. And it was, you know, very important for him to went off. And once he was off it, you could tell. You could tell he was sort of clear of mind. And because it was a strong character, even though the pain came back, that wasn't an issue. I mean, this man was a strong, strong man. You know a bit of pain, you know he was going to you know what I mean is it's sort of getting on top of it.
Speaker 4: He wasn't giving up.
Speaker 2: It was just aware of just trying to get these who tried and what.
Speaker 1: Were the side effects that were horrible for him.
Speaker 2: Look, he did have it did cause a bit of depression, but he was aware of the depression and he spoke to us about it. So you know, he'd actually reached out a couple of times to his close.
Speaker 4: Mate, and I commend him for that. Good on you.
Speaker 2: You know, we need to all speak up if we're not feeling one hundred percent, you know. But it was just and that's where he wasn't just sitting in the corner going and I'm giving up on life. He's breaching out, you know. And it said to his mate, you know, he goes, I'm obviously feeling pretty crappy right now. He goes even in his own words, and I've got him writing lucky, I'm not the suicidal type, and I've got time on my side.
Speaker 1: So Belle says her dad knew the GABA Pensen or Neuronson was no good for him, and it gave him horrible side effects. I wanted to know from a doctor what this drug is actually used for, so I reached out to a friend. It's call him Doctor J. He specializes in pain medication and he'd know clinically how this drug can affect someone.
Speaker 7: So Doctor for lost count eleven years now, and as part of that time, I've spent five years training to be an anesthetics specialist, and as part of my anesthetic training, we do specialize in the management of acute pain.
Speaker 1: Can you explain what neurontity is and what it's generally prescribed for.
Speaker 7: So, neurons in the trade name of a medication called gabapentin, So it's an anticonvulsant medication that's used to treat various forms of epilepsy and other seizure disorders. But it's also prescribed for what we call neuropathic pain. So that's essentially pain arising from an dysfunctional disease of the nervous system. So some examples of that are sort of diabetic neuropathy, or pain that you get after having I guess postopadic neuralgia, which is like shingles, and people get ongoing chmic pain from that, and gabapentin can be used to try and treat these pains. This nerve pain is quite notoriously difficult to treat, and so often there are various other medications that doctors try and use to treat this pain, and they're.
Speaker 6: Not always effective.
Speaker 7: So gabapentin is one of them that gets used, especially in the treatment of sort of back pain or sciatica, and then obviously they try and use opioids to try and treat pain, but generally these are also quite ineffective.
Speaker 1: And from your knowledge, what are some of the side effects involved with taking gabapentin.
Speaker 7: With any medication, and some of those side effects are common and some are quite rare. If we think specifically about the nervous system. The common things that get described with gabapentin or neuronton business headache, somnolence, but they can have other side effects like tremor and even concentration impairments. With these medications, you can get some mood disturbances, so common things. Common side effects cover pension include anxiety, confusion, and depression. You can get insomnia, and then uncommonly or rarely you can have emotional labile symptoms or agitation, aggression, and very rarely psychotic disorders as well. Neurons also has been recognized that it can contribute to feelings of depression and suicidal idiation. It's even mentioned in the product disclosure statement or the product information statement that comes inside the box and a statement in there that says patients on these medications need to be monitored, worth need symptoms of depression or suicidal thoughtful behavior, or any other unusual changes in them moves.
Speaker 1: The other interesting thing that came up after speaking with doctor j was a bit that I originally missed in my read through of the coroner's report. The report said that on May eleventh, twenty seventeen, just six weeks before Jawn went missing, he went to a chemist and got a prescription filled for one hundred Neuronson tablets. In a follow up text with Belle, she says there was no way he used those tablets. As she said earlier in the podcast, he was weaning off this drug that was giving him depression. When police and family searched his home, there was no neuronton left in his pillbox. Doctor Jay explains that coming off a drug like neuronton is usually a slow process, and coming off the drug too quickly can be even more troublesome.
Speaker 7: So any patient's been on these medications for a significant in it a period of time, they can get physical dependence, whereas the body gets used to the drug, and upon sort of immediate cessation, they get withdrawal symptoms. And withdrawal symptoms tend to be some of the things we've mentioned, but also dysphoria, irritability, anxiety, even backape, joint pains, abdominal cramps, LAWNSA, vomiting.
Speaker 6: The period of withdrawal, all the time taken from stopping the medication to having those withraw withdrawal symptoms does depend on the dose that you've been on and how long you've been it's.
Speaker 7: Been on the medication for, but can vary between sort of you know, a day to a week or so. When you are going to stop these medications best done with the assistance or the physician that prescribes the drugs regularly so that they can guide you in dose reduction, and usually that's done over a period of weeks to months, even depending on how long you've been on the medication and how the dose he's been taken.
Speaker 1: So we know that this drug is pretty heavy and as Belle said, she didn't feel it was right for her dad. This correlates with the doctor's notes about Jawn's visit he made to his GP in January, February and March of twenty seventeen. In January twenty seventeen, which is the year he went missing, he went to his GP. As you've mentioned, quite depressed. The coroner's report says that his consequent visit back to the GP a month later and then again the following month was, in his words from the doctor's notes, really good now and fantastic. So there is proof your dad was suffering some depression in early January and then was able to come out of that fog due to the medication he was coming off and equally his own management of that.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely, I mean, can I just read you a little bit of an.
Speaker 4: Excerpt here from the incident summary.
Speaker 2: I just thought it was quite interesting, and this was noted pretty much on the twenty eighth of June. So this is the second day of the search up in Lancelin. Confirmed, as you said, confirmed no signs of dementia. Cided by the doctor last week and was very clear in the head, appeared chirpy, you know, and had good pain control. He commented that he's not suffering from debtsive depression, and during his treatment at no time as he indicated suicidal tendencies.
Speaker 4: That's from the GP.
Speaker 1: We're going to step just a couple of months back to before your dad went missing. He fell down some stairs.
Speaker 2: Look, that's a weird one, that fall has never sat well with me, I'll be honest. That was actually what sort of set him back, and that at the time of his disappearance, it wasn't all the other stuff that was going on, was that fall, because that was a pretty years ful.
Speaker 4: When I say fall, I have I have doubts over that particular day.
Speaker 2: It was Easter Sunday, and you know, Dad had already had had a fall from lower down in these stairs because he's got brick stairs at the front of his house.
Speaker 4: Now, I can't remember when.
Speaker 2: It was, probably I don't know, December twenty sixteen or something. He had actually had a little slip from the bottom of the stairs.
Speaker 4: It was only you know, two stairs.
Speaker 2: Because at the time, unfortunately, someone thought it would be a good idea for him to trial marijuana and you know, encourage that and provided that to him. And at first I meet at it and he had a fault.
Speaker 1: Was that medical marijuana or was it just normal?
Speaker 4: No, And it's something that he'd never had in his life.
Speaker 2: And I don't think he should have ever been introduced into into the mix at all. But I think that was the cause of that particular fall, and he felt like an idiot, you know, he's like, oh, you know, but it didn't really has stained too many injuries, okay.
Speaker 4: But this particular fall, it was pretty substantial.
Speaker 2: I'm talking it was from the top this time, the top of these brick stairs. And apparently it's written down that he just slipped on his slippers, and it's been a bit downplayed a little bit. But you know, I look at his photos of his injuries and I don't know, like if he was wearing slippers. You know, his toe has been fully sliced and cut open, and he's got a massive egg on his right hand arm and up here and apparently he's put his arm down your hand to protect his face, and you know, his hands you know, shattered and broken his wrist, and I mean they only realized in June, not long before he went missing, that that he had actually shattered all the bones in his hand as well, and that wasn't picked up at the time, you know, and he was told unfortunately now it's sort of too light for more surgery.
Speaker 4: You probably do need more surgery down the track.
Speaker 8: But well, thinking about it now, we don't know if that was a fall or not, or if something else happened on that day, but we don't have any evidence of anything, but we have doubts over that one. But as Well said, that was really his main problem at the time because it had got ontop other things. It was just this badly broken wrist.
Speaker 2: Was that that was in April. That was you know, middle of April, and before that March. You know how we said the GPS, he's feeling fantastic. Dad had tried to go play nine holes of golf.
Speaker 1: Jawn wasn't a well man chronic pain, swollen feet and a broken wrist, with a bunch of different tablets to control those medical issues. He had indicated some issues with depression which may have been caused by the medication he was on, or simply by him not being as agile as he used to be. But it would seem from the doctor's report a few days before his disappearance he was okay. In fact, in the GP's words, he was chirpy. In the coroner's report, which was delivered in October last year in Perth, the coroner stated that Belle, his daughter, had said that at some point her dad had told her that drowning would be the worst possible way to go. Belle also made a statement to the police, saying that if there was any chance of mister Jensen taking his life, he would have done so at Mula Lou Beach, a place of great comfort to him, where he felt closest to his wife. When Bell gave evidence during the inquest, she was adamant that at the time of his disappearance, her dad was not suicidal.
Speaker 4: See my words have been twisted. Okay, So around the time.
Speaker 1: Of the search, did you have that conversation with him?
Speaker 4: I didn't have around drowning. We were open about life and death.
Speaker 2: Having found my mum, you know, in the home, we did have conversations about that. But our conversations were, oh my god, thank god she was at home.
Speaker 4: Thank god.
Speaker 2: We literally said she wasn't missing because we had that twenty four hour PIO where she technically was.
Speaker 1: They all talk to me about the morning of Sunday, the twenty fifth of June twenty seventeen, you were going to lunch as a family.
Speaker 4: Well, actually no, it wasn't actually sort of planned like that.
Speaker 2: I knew that Dad was catching up with Kennan Geza, and normally I was actually the one that used to go with lunch to lunch with him. I'd take him, and i'd We've done that at quite a few times. This particular time, I was really busy, as I said, we work, and I was working from home, and you know, i'd actually just dropped the kids down at Grandma's house down in Clement and yeah, just before twelve, I remember, because they'd had lunch booked in for sort.
Speaker 4: Of one or one thirty I think it was.
Speaker 2: And I just rang him on the way home and I just said, I'm making sure my sister's still taking you, because she did have a bit of a history of sort of canceling on him last minute, and if that was a case, then I was definitely gonna, you know, sort of step.
Speaker 4: In and take him. And it just han't been that conversation.
Speaker 2: I was a bitty why don't you come, you know, And I'm you know, I'm so glad I made that decisional and you know what, Yeah, yeah, I'll come.
Speaker 4: I'm glad I did because that was the last time I saw him.
Speaker 1: So Belle, her sister, dad, and a few friends catch up for lunch at Hillary's Boat Harbor at Dome Cafe. It's Perth in June. The place is buzzing family's doing the same thing as Bell and her sister visitors, browsing the shops on the boardwalk, kids with ice creams and idyllic Sunday afternoon in sunny Perth. Belle clearly remembers her dad's frame of mind that day.
Speaker 4: He was happy.
Speaker 2: Everything was fine, like he was in good spirits. There was there was nothing that stood out as me to be concerned or worried, you know, it was it was a nice lunch.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: The only thing I regret is, you know, when we when we got home, we all went in the same car, and you know, my sister took us home. The only regret I had is not actually going in, you know, because I pretty much we drove off straight away in our separate cars, and i'd sort of gone in and and I guess spoken to him because in hindsight now I realized that there probably were things that he did want to talk about. But no, on that particular he was fine. And even Kennan geez I said, you know, we're talking about catching up for Christmas in July again, because I'd gone, you know, with all those guys and we'd had a beautiful lunch, you know. The previous Christmas in July, and we said, let's do that again. You know, we had plans for the future.
Speaker 1: So this is Sunday afternoon. When did you expect to see your dad again?
Speaker 2: Probably the next night or within a couple of days, you know, I was, I was, you know, seeing him regularly.
Speaker 4: Not not as much.
Speaker 2: I mean I have a young family and working hard, but certainly within a couple of days, you know, I'd at least speak to him, like very regularly, you know. But yeah, I certainly did not expect that. The last time I didn't but see my dad.
Speaker 1: That afternoon would be the last time. Anybody reported seeing John again. The next morning, at around six forty five am, John Jensen's neighbor headed out to her car to go to work on Monday, the twenty sixth of June twenty seventeen. As she walks down her driveway, she looks across the road and sees that Jawn's garage door is open and his car is not there. She found this unusual, and she hadn't seen John drive for a few weeks, but she also knew his daughters sometimes drove his car, so she left for work at four point fifteen that same day, the neighbor arrives home and Jahn's car is still missing and the garage door is still wide open. She now thinks this is strange, but she didn't want to be a sticky beak, so she waited a few hours, and then at seven oh two that night, Belle receives a ten from her sister. Belle's sister, who first got the text from the neighbor, had been at the dentist that day for surgery, so I couldn't really talk, so she texted her sister Bell and asked if she could head to their dad's house to see what was happening.
Speaker 2: I didn't know anything was wrong until about eight thirty that night. I saw a text message from my sisters saying, can you go check on dad? You know, the neighbor's saying that the his garage door has been up and his car's gone. And I was like what, So I immediately called his house.
Speaker 4: I'm obviously got no answer.
Speaker 2: And I looked down and gone, is this gonna happen all over again? Immediately having gone through it with Mum, you think the worst, of course.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I was panicking.
Speaker 2: I was I was shaking and I'm like, no, I'm going to do this, and I'm trying to tell myself how it better than last time? Felt I'm so angry at myself for what I did with mom, and I was like, just handle this situation better.
Speaker 4: But anyway, I was. I was lucky that the neighbor was out the front.
Speaker 2: She was loving, you know, and obviously very caring and looking after him, and she was worried, you know. She was out the front looking stressed, and she met me there and I said, were you coming with me? So so I found my mum dead, you know, and she goes, of course, we're not. I'm so grateful she did that. So I went and got the key because he kept to get spare key in the garage.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I went to use it to walk in the house, but the door was unlocked, and that was very unusual. That always kept his door locked. So I thought, well, hey, that's unusual. And second thing that unusual that there was no lights on. You know, we're talking sort of eight forty probably around that time, and it was pitch black.
Speaker 4: I thought, what's going on here? Because even the neighbor would say he always had that front light on because that's where he lived that front land room. That's that's pretty much where he lived, in his recliner and watching your TV. So anyway, yeah, walked in and.
Speaker 2: What looked like, initially this sounds odd, but sort of feathers scattered in the distance in the kitchen area.
Speaker 4: And I was like, what's going on over there? And I put the light on and then I just saw blood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all these blood footprints pretty much what it was very in your face then, and there was there was quite a lot of blood, and I was like, what the.
Speaker 4: Hell has happened here?
Speaker 2: And I yelled out, and the neighbor yelled out, and I noticed it with a small glass pane was broken. And at the time, I'm like, oh my god, has he accidentally hurt himself. He's got a hospital, he's got you know, what the hell has happened?
Speaker 4: I did not know.
Speaker 2: Million things from through your head, and I didn't want to make the same mistakes again. It's caught my husband. That was I just had to That was just the first thing I thought to do. And then he called the police. So yeah, we just waited for them to arrive, and it was, Yeah, it was really really bizarre, really really really Bizarren.
Speaker 1: Do you remember the call from Bell?
Speaker 8: Yeah, look, when she left, you knew something that was up. It was unusual for Jessmer's card not to be there. And then soon as I got the call and I just heard blood everywhere, I didn't know if something had recently happened, or if someone was still in the house and something could happen. So I just got off the phone straight away and called the police and just gave him a brief description, file in law's missing, this blood in the house. I don't know if anyone else is in the house. I didn't know if my wife was in danger or anything like that. So that's what I told them, and they raced over there. As it turns out, it was just the scene at the house and no one else there. But then, yeah, it's this was totally unexpected.
Speaker 1: In the next episode of Dad's Gone.
Speaker 5: Well, the discovery of John Jensen's car outside the Lancelon Beach Hotel is a big breakthrough in the police search for the missing Ocean Reef grants.
Speaker 9: The investigation in those early days changed the thin as that vehicle is located, because that what they gave us was the last known position on this CCTVA. If you can't see who is in the vehicle.
Speaker 1: In your opinion, could your dad drive?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: No, especially especially after that form no.
Speaker 9: I was unable to confirm during the investigation who was driving that vehicle or even how many passengers in that The initial assessment of the investigation that continues to this day is that no evidence of any criminality has been located.
Speaker 2: Silence is not what you need when you have this type of ambiguous loss. You need people to speak up and there are people that know what happened to my dad.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to this episode and supporting this story. Independent storytelling that shapes the world is what pod shape really cares about. Right now, There's thousands of people listening to this show and our other true Crimes, and they're completely engaged. More than ten million Australians listen to podcasts each week. If you've ever thought about advertising your business in a podcast, there's a link to reach out in the show notes, or head to podshape dot com to book a free call.