Speaker 1: Apodjaye Production.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to another episode of Am I A Mad Mom?
Speaker 1: Podcast? Term four?
Speaker 3: Is it? Yes? I was getting coffee the other day and I had a lovely lady say.
Speaker 4: To me, oh, only twelve weeks till Christmas?
Speaker 5: And I was like, what can you please refrain from that?
Speaker 2: I've done absolutely nothing. I've not even done anything towards the birthday.
Speaker 3: I was just going to say that you've got Christmas and birthday.
Speaker 2: Here's a question I used to post to buy something special for sweet sixteen?
Speaker 1: Is that a thing? Or is that just American?
Speaker 3: As in you're asking me if you have to buy something sweet sixteen, big present.
Speaker 1: Like something to keep, like a piece of or something like that.
Speaker 5: Maybe it's americanized. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I haven't trying to think back to my sixteenth It was only the other day.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't think I got something. And maybe it was jewelry or something like that.
Speaker 2: Can't be very memorable stories to remember, No, I don't know. Because also you get your learners at sixteen, and then there's driving lessons, my driving lessons and something sweet sixteen.
Speaker 1: Itsh's a lot expensive driving.
Speaker 5: Lessons how much are they these?
Speaker 1: Like eighty dollars a lesson for how long? I don't know, just for an hour, maybe.
Speaker 5: Eighty dollars for half an hour.
Speaker 4: That's a great I might become a driver shucked.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine I didn't even want to have my own kids in my car? Then how to drive alone someone every single day?
Speaker 1: Imagine that? Don't you reckon?
Speaker 2: Driving instructors would be really anxious, nervous people.
Speaker 5: No, I don't.
Speaker 3: I think they'd be the I think they'd be the complete opposite. In my opinion, I think they'd be complete opposite. I think they'd be those.
Speaker 4: Really like calm, calm.
Speaker 3: Collected, but know it alls on the road, you know, know everything everything you can think of by the book.
Speaker 2: And the difference between my girls going with a driving instructor who knows everything about driving and me teaching the girls to drive is that they'll sit in the driving seat knowing that I've driven since I was seventeen, and they'll know all about it.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, you know nothing.
Speaker 3: You don't actually know how to drive car, just pretending this whole time. Why you're driving them around to and from everything that they do.
Speaker 5: I've got no idea.
Speaker 1: You're so millennial. That's what I get hit with. You're so millennial.
Speaker 5: Okay, calm down.
Speaker 3: Am I a bad mum for starving them?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Can we just hang on for a secon before you start on this, If we just think about Rachel Thirday and her parenting style. The other day, you did an episode where you take your kids to the beach and you didn't take sunscreen, so you got no sunscreen, no food.
Speaker 3: I re listened to that episode and I was driving and I was having a good old loll in the car about my antics on the beach.
Speaker 4: I genuinely am about mom. I had nothing.
Speaker 3: I was listening to it going. I put no sunscreen on them. I barely had like fresh water for them. My daughter had chafing. I had nothing to help her out. No excuse of a mother, are you, Rachel?
Speaker 1: Because I think you feel like you've done your time.
Speaker 4: A hundred percent.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm not going anywhere.
Speaker 3: But you know, we did have that constant joke between Sam and I where obviously he was away all the time for work, playing footy and all the rest, and I remember always keeping the joke going, going, I'll do zero to twelve and then you've got twelve to eighteen years of age. Yeah, and I'm tapping out from twelve and my eldest is nearly twelve.
Speaker 2: Did you figure that zero to twelve because you know that's double the time of twelve to eighteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I know that, but I was willing to do the zero to twelve for a few reasons. Foundation years very prevalent in every child, you know, zero to seven, So that was fine. The other side of it is, I thought, oh no, I think I could be a pretty good mum from zero to twelve. The twelve to eighteen, Yes, it might be a shorter span. I think a y're in for a harder slog.
Speaker 5: Though with girls. Yeah see yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: So I think I was actually being quite strategic and maybe have come up with a new form of parenting.
Speaker 2: One does one dozen, one age bracket, and then it's to the other.
Speaker 4: You're to stay and play at your strengths.
Speaker 5: My friend and I was just doing that.
Speaker 2: So you think Sam's strengths a hormoneents periods.
Speaker 5: I hope so is in for a ride of his life.
Speaker 3: This actually came about in a conversation with my youngest brother. He has been helping out with the girls at different times. And I was away for work, the girls were with him and he had bought them Guzman for dinnerg GYG kind of like healthy but you know it's takeaway, but you know it's kind of somewhat healthy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, certainly advertise it as like fast food that your mum's okay with or something like that.
Speaker 5: My girls love it.
Speaker 3: But what has happened and has come out of this is the drive through experience with just the two girls and Uncle Luke in the car was Elsie disclosing to Luke that she would like to order an adult sized burrito because she always is starving hungry after the kids size, and Uncle Luke obviously being you know that as Yeah, of course, darl you can have that, no worries, and then Elsie proceeds to say, because every time Mum, every time Mum orders Guig for us, I don't really get a choice.
Speaker 5: She just orders the kid's meal and that's all I get.
Speaker 3: Excuse me, that makes me sound so bad, like she's starving hungry and all I do is buy her a little kid's meal.
Speaker 2: Don't feel bad because I feel like you're still doing what you've always done because that's you know, what the order is, and then we forget that actually the bigger and the appetite is bigger.
Speaker 4: But she's got to speak up and say this to me.
Speaker 1: She's scared, so she's scared of me.
Speaker 4: She's scared to tell me Mom, I'm hungry.
Speaker 2: Mom will absolutely not buy me an adult once it's double the.
Speaker 5: Prices, double the price.
Speaker 3: And I've seen you waste food for a long time now, and so I'm assuming that that's what's gonna happen with this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wasting food. I feel like wasting food is a big thing for mums. There was something that I laughed at the other day. It was something on like Instagram, and it was like, do not throw the rest of your dinner in the bin. Put it in a container. We don't waste food. We'll put it in the fridge. We'll leave it for two weeks and then we'll.
Speaker 1: Throw it away. I live a weekly rate. Weekly I clear out our fridge and I'm like, that's not going to be eaten, because that's not going to be eaten.
Speaker 5: Food.
Speaker 1: Waste is so bad.
Speaker 3: I do exactly the same thing. I'm actually not too bad if I'm sort of working from home or around. I'll eat whatever leftovers because I'm at home and I know it's come straight out of the fridge, and I'm really finicky about that sort of stuff. But otherwise I'm the same just chucking stuff out a week later. We've got to save it in the moment, but then chucking it out a week yeah.
Speaker 1: Like the intent in the right place, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I know. But then her kids, on the other hand, you know, they're just really struggling with life and really starving, hungry, and Mum's such.
Speaker 5: A bad person.
Speaker 4: She doesn't buy me a full size burrito.
Speaker 3: And you know, with this revelation, I looked at Luke and was like, so you bought her a full size did you? Hear? He said, But then I had a moment where she was sort of like sitting there and really trying to get this full size burrito down, And he said, it was just like it dawned on me to go, oh my god, she doesn't have to eat the whole thing because it is an adult, he said.
Speaker 5: I could just see she was like.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I'm not really gonna fit it, but she didn't have the heart to say to him, I can't eat the whole thing, and so he must have turned to her. This is what he said to me, was he turned to her and said, oh, darling, you don't.
Speaker 5: Have to eat all of it.
Speaker 3: But she'd got through like a good three quarters of the full size burrito.
Speaker 1: That's good. See.
Speaker 2: This is where again it differs so much between what we grew up with and learned around food and what we know now. And so our kids have kind of I feel like, had about half and half half of us, you know, going No, this is what we had to do. You will sit there and you will eat your dinner. You will eat the rest of your dinner, and if you don't finish it, you don't get dessert.
Speaker 1: Now we know that actually portion control, not eating too much.
Speaker 2: That food nutritioness that came on the podcast ages ago, she was very much like everything she said.
Speaker 1: We were like, oh shit, yes we do that. Don't use food as a reward. We do that.
Speaker 2: I even said the other day, I said, you haven't eaten enough dinner, and Holly said, I don't want anyone full.
Speaker 1: No you're not. No, you're not full. You haven't eaten enough. What did you eat beforehand?
Speaker 2: You've eaten something too close to dinner time, and that's why you're not hungry. Honestly, I'm not fine. Don't have it then, but you're not doing anything afterwards. Kitchens closed.
Speaker 5: Do you know what I did the other night? This is a bad confession.
Speaker 3: Sam was in the kitchen and he was looking for like a little after dinner treat. I just literally shut down all the lights. Sorry, kitchen's closed.
Speaker 5: No, you can't, your husbands, you can't have that. Kitchens clothes.
Speaker 4: Kitchens only have certain set hours, and it's for a reason.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry you can't.
Speaker 2: You might well be an adult, but the kitchen has closed. My friend, Oh, you didn't eat all your dinner. You're not having anything now.
Speaker 5: Well he's the other way.
Speaker 3: He's eating all his dinner, probably too much, and now he's looking for a little snacky after dinner up bumb bomb.
Speaker 5: Kitchen goes