Speaker 1: I'll get a team. Welcome to another installing the show. It's The Bloody Youth Project. Of course it is Craig Anthony Harper Simon. What's your middle name?
Speaker 2: Son, John or you can call me Johnny if you want. It's actually John Simon is Johnny Cito. So some of my friends call me.
Speaker 1: Really did you used to get did your mum or dad give you the whole Simon? John Hill get in here now when you're in trouble kind of vibe?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Were you? Were you difficult? Were you a problem child?
Speaker 3: I was?
Speaker 2: I was the younger, the younger child and the youngest have an older brother. And yes, fair to say, I got up to my fair share of trouble at school. Dad Dad was called up to school quite a lot in high school. I remember once Craig I.
Speaker 3: At our school.
Speaker 2: I went to school out on Altham So also Fellow Melbourne in and I was quite up genes. I remember we had like some landscape gardeners that would work on our on the school kind of length property and take care of the gardens and mow the lawns and the football level and all that stuff. Did a great job and they left the golf buggy that they used one day with the keys in it. And I took that golf buggy, who drove it on the road with like five or six friends on the back and hanging off the side of it down to research shops, which were like the closest shops to get fish and chips. And unfortunately we drove past one of our teachers on the way down, so that didn't end so well.
Speaker 1: I thought you were going to tell me you drove past a cop car on the way back to the school or something, But yeah, well what year was that, mate? Give your take?
Speaker 3: Gosh, two thousand and one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could probably do that. You know, that's like quarter of a century ago. Bro, can you leave a quarter of a century ago? You did that.
Speaker 3: Easy? It's crazy. I don't feel like.
Speaker 1: I don't want to tell you you're old, but I just out of the bag. Hey, So thank you for doing this. I appreciate you. I was made aware of you. I don't know how it wasn't how I didn't. I mean, I've known about you for about six months. I don't know how I didn't discover you before that. But and I'm not saying this insincerely, folks, if you don't follow Simon, follow him. His stuff is great, He's great. What I love about him is he's really objective, he's really well thought through. He's he's not hysterical, he's not pushing an agenda, he's not selling shit. And I love the way that you communicate, and I love the capacity that you have to be able to disseminate what can be complicated ship in a user friendly way. So is that I mean, is that that's obviously how do I share?
Speaker 2: This can be you know, because I should change my I should change my buyo, or I should change the the about about us page. And I think I might steal that from you, because honestly, I grew up my dad's a professor of physiology, and so you can imagine what you know when I'm five six, seven eight and at the dinner table and he's talking like an academic, right, I had to very quickly learn to know ask the stupid, dumb questions to get him to kind of make it more accessible, because it's like another language that these guys speak. Whether you're at a conference or you're reading the peer review studies. That is a giant arms length away from the everyday person who really needs that information. So yeah, that's I've kind of taken I guess, those skills that I learned at the dinner table and use those today to sit down with people like my dad, other professors and get them to kind of translate or share their often thirty forty years of research in a more accessible, more palatable way so that we can myself included, can make sense of it.
Speaker 1: As I mean, it's literally like I said to you before we started recording, like I'm I'm not a genius at all, and I'm a procademic. And when I started doing like I finished my last degree a long time ago, and then when I started my PhD, and I'm at what's called Brain Park, the Neuroscience neurocyclab of Monash University in Melbourne, and I'm sitting amongst all these fucking twenty three year old genie I like a fucking wombat in a black T shirt. I'm trying to figure out. And then we're having meetings where everybody gets together and talks about their project, in other words, their PhD, like what they're doing in their research, and I literally, for a year didn't understand what anyone was talking about. I had to keep going, what does that mean? What does that mean? What's that word? Like, I'm writing stuff that not a year but a rock solid six months. And I think sometimes with academia and research for many people, and it's not good or bad, and it's not a it's not a slight on anyone's intelligence, but it's like you're walking into a room where everyone's literally speaking a different language. It's like, I'm you know, like I walk into room and everyone in the room speaks Russian except me. Well, I know I'm not stupid, and I know that they're not necessarily smarter than me, but I don't speak Russian, so I'm at a massive disadvantage. And everything they're telling me is to them, it's clear and it makes sense, and the research is right and it's logical and it's even relevant to me. But I'm like, that's awesome, but I don't fucking speak Russian. And that's what it's like sometimes, that chasm between research and information that's relevant for so many people. And that's why I think your stuff is good is great, because that's you're almost like which I try and be too, but you're kind of a conduit between these two disparate sometimes disparate worlds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think my guiding light, which I feel in the brief time that i've I've got to learn a little bit more about you today is curiosity. And I think you share that, and it's it's frustrating. It's frustrating when you don't understand something, and it can be scary to kind of to ask the quote unquote dumb question. But I very much since I was little and to this date, I'm not one to sit back if I have a question and it's it's it's silly, it's.
Speaker 3: Dumb, and I could look stupid.
Speaker 2: I'm still gonna ask it because curiosity is really what's driving everything I do, and it has to be driving what you do to put out in one episode every single day.
Speaker 3: And I think you said two thousand episodes so.
Speaker 2: Far, I have to imagine curiosity is curiosity is at the center of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I I did it. I did a podcast probably two or three years ago now with a guy from the States called Professor Amic Goswami, and at the time he was eighty four and he's like a super duper professional professor of theoretical physics and quantum theory, and mud he like all this, and I'm I started talking to him, Simon, I'm five minutes in and I'm thinking, I'm fucked. I do not have I'm running out of shit to ask him, and I'm because I'm not smart enough to be in this room. And I just stopped and I went and he was so beautiful. He was like this wise spiritual, it's like the insection of spirituality and research and academia. And I said to him, professor, can I tell you something? And he goes, yes, of course, And I'm not smart enough to be in this chat. And then he just laughed and he went, oh, I think you're quite smart. And then he went I went, oh, I don't know about that, but you know, for me, it's like that, yeah, I've I'd rather just go I need to kind of own up a little bit because I'm not sure what I'm asked. I don't know. I don't even know what to ask you in this moment to make it a good listening experience for the thousands of people that rock up to listen to this every day. And he was so good, he was so and it ended up being a really good chat. But I just had that moment of terror where I'm I'm thinking, I don't know how to make this okay.
Speaker 2: Right, But it sounds like I mean for you to say that was quite vulnerable. So it took it took a lot of It took a lot of vulnerability for you to kind of put your hand up.
Speaker 3: And say, I'm not sure what to ask you.
Speaker 2: But as is often the case, if we are vulnerable and willing to kind of let down the wall, good things can happen. So I'm glad that you had that experience and he didn't. He didn't just say okay, let's end the podcast.
Speaker 1: That would have been That would have been hurtful. That would have been hurtful. All right, So let's talk a bit about you and your stuff. So I told you before you know, we went live, that I started really in the physical space ex sized physiology and training people and all of that. And I still love that and I still help a few people out in that space. But you know, I got to the point with me where I went, you know, bodies are interesting, but minds for me, minds and brains are more interesting. And so I'm going to open that door now. And did you start in physio? Am I right with that. You started as a physiotherapist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I went.
Speaker 2: I went straight into physiotherapy Latrobe University and so I did my under undergraduate there and then went to private practice. So I was working at you pran sports medicine center. Marlven wrote, Yeah, so I worked there. I was fortunate enough to get a job straight straight out of university there and worked there. And then I was working with Coburg Tiger in the Richmond Football Club and so working with elite athletes. And that was the time actually when Ben Cousins had come back from West Coast and was playing playing with Richmond. He was playing quite a bit of football with Koburg Tigers, so I remember treating him and so I was in that physiotherapy space. And then you know, some years later we ended up going back to university as you know, and I went to Degan University.
Speaker 3: That's where did my masters and nutrition mm hmm, I was.
Speaker 1: We were probably at similar time. I worked at Port Melbourne for a few years also in the NFL, and then before that at the Saints and the AFL for about four years. In those it's it's it's an interesting environment. That system isn't.
Speaker 3: It mm hmm, yeah it is.
Speaker 2: I mean I loved that environment because I was playing football in the Eastern Football League and school and I was captain of our school football team.
Speaker 3: So I took footy really seriously.
Speaker 2: And when I finished high school two thousand and four, I knew that I wasn't going to take football any any further, and so physiotherapy for me was a way to stay involved in football, and I knew it was like going straight into first year. I knew I was going to go down the path of kind of sports physiotherapy and then I ultimately try and work with footballers in the AFL.
Speaker 1: So what what was the prompt to move away from physio and into nutrition was did something happen or it was just an evolution.
Speaker 3: It was an evolution.
Speaker 2: I had a huge amount of curiosity for what we eat and the effect that it has on our health and for the kind of seed that was planted for me. Went back to when I was fifteen years old. So my dad and I were out in the Yarra Valley and to go out on the weekends with my brother and my dad and I and on this Sunday was just my dad and I and we were going around and jumping from small winery to small winery, and I was like, I was fifteen, fourteen, fifteen, and on this afternoon, beautiful afternoon, we're driving back. My dad lived in King Lake at the time, and he started getting chest pain and I could tell that he was uncomfortable, and he kind of played it down, and we got back to his house in King Lake and we cooked dinner and I checked in on him. He seemed to think that it was dissipating, not as much pain as before, and we had.
Speaker 3: Dinner and then I went to bed, thinking nothing of it.
Speaker 2: But I awoke in the early hours of the night to loud noises in the kitchen and went out and he was having a full blown heart attack. And so he was like he was basically making his way to the phone call he had dial triples zero, and I was the one that spoke to the paramedics and detailed what was happening. And because we were in King Lake, which at the time, and I'm sure now it's been developed, so it's like right up through Whittlesea's probably lots lots of neighborhoods and homes. But back then you drive from kind of r MIT in Bundura up to King Lake. There was not a lot in between. It was mostly just farms, you know. South Brange was all farms. And so they said, look, you're a long way from the nearest hospital. We're sending a helicopter, and they sent a helicopter to pick up my dad and I went by road in the ambulance trailing them, and by that time my mum and brother because my parents were divorced when I was younger, they made their way over and to the hospital and so we had this long wait to find out like what's happening, and you know, ultimately the cardiologists came out and said, your dad's had a huge heart attack and we've we've managed to save these life. But his life will look a little different from now on, and he'll be on medications. And you guys, are you know, fifteen and seventeen or eighteen, my brother, you're going to need to really keep a close eye on your cardiovascular health because cardiovasca disease runs in families, which is all true. And at the time we were just grateful that dad was alive. Yeah, of course, but in the aftermath of that, my brother and I just kind of always had this lingering idea that our heart disease runs in our family. So, you know, Dad's had a hard to take at forty one, and my dad didn't look like My dad wasn't obese, he wasn't eating McDonald's and.
Speaker 3: All fast food.
Speaker 2: He was living the typical Australian lifestyle and was representative of a kind of young Australian dad who yeah, was working hard to make enough money to provide for his family, probably a little overstressed. He would exercise, you know, three times a week, and his diet was, you know, just average austrained diet, but not a whole lot of fast food. And so we didn't and he wasn't on any medications, had no diagnoses, so we didn't kind of see this coming. So it was that at this stage, it's forty one.
Speaker 1: Wow, didude, that's so stupidly young.
Speaker 2: It's so young, right, Yeah, Like I'm nearly forty one now, so I'm I'm going through this weird phase now where I'm like, holy shit, Like I'm basically at the age of when my dad had this heart.
Speaker 3: Attack, and.
Speaker 2: As I said, he wasn't on like cholesterol medications or blood pressure medications or blood glucose medications. He was on zero prescription medications, so from the outside he kind of had there was no sign of this coming.
Speaker 3: And so yeah, there was this limiting We had this limiting.
Speaker 2: Belief, my brother and I that we were destined to develop, you know, cardiovascuar disease and probably had some dodgy genes. And it wasn't until I got to my sort of mid to late twenties when I really got a little bit more interested in nutrition. And at that stage I started to I was reading the literature, and I'd had some training of how to read the literature in my undergraduate but I can tell you it was nowhere near specific enough to make sense of nutrition science. And so I was reading, and I was confused and going and reading like an article from a supposed reputable source and then seeing another article and they seem very contradictory. And I was in the position that I think a lot of people listening are probably in and continue to be in, especially with social media how that's evolved. Now it's scroll and then scroll up, and you're exposed to contradictory things, you know, within seconds. So I was like, I need to understand how to read the primary literature here, and that was the curiosity piece. So I went back and applied to Deacon. Thankfully they let me in and I did my master degree there, and my sole goal was I want to understand how to read this literature so I can actually understand how to eat to reduce my risk of cardiovascular disease. And more and more I got into it, and then you know, started seeing patients speaking to people in my community.
Speaker 3: I had the urge.
Speaker 2: To start communicating, you know, through my podcast, which is my primary kind of channel that I do that through now, because there is so much misinformation and because it's so it seems the research seems like it's all over the place. And I understand that it seems like there's all sorts of because everyone can say study show, right, So if Bob saying study show, and Mark saying study show, and Sandra's saying study show, but they're all saying different things, well, clearly the research is just confused.
Speaker 3: But it's that's not actually the case. It's that.
Speaker 2: Contact matters, and so sure you can go and find any study to kind of show anything, but what's often met like left out of these conversations is the important context, and when you do appreciate the context of the science, you.
Speaker 3: Actually see that you know, of course, we.
Speaker 2: Don't know everything. There's fucking there's so much stuff for us to learn. I know that, like there are I have so many blind spots. But there is so much within the body of nutrition science research that has been conducted for now, you know, one hundred plus years that.
Speaker 3: We can we can use to be fairly.
Speaker 2: Confident about a large part, like a large part of the dietary pattern that we eat and ways in which we can eat to reduce chronic disease. We don't know everything, but we do understand the big picture. And I think that when people go on social media, particularly today, they they're.
Speaker 3: Left with a different feeling.
Speaker 2: They're left with that, you know, nutrition science is just all over the place, and then they end up probably just throwing their arms up in the air and saying, it's your status quo.
Speaker 3: I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing because no one can agree.
Speaker 1: And I think that's the beauty of your work, right, It's like you're kind of opening doors and I love. What I love about you is you have an ability to look at what somebody else has put up, but not really be a prick about it. I like that where you can go So this guy said this, and here he is saying this, and then now here he is saying this. So these things clearly, you know, this suited him in this video, and this suits him in this video, and he's saying things which are diametrically opposite or opposed. You know, but you're not calling anyone an idiot or a moron, and you're literally just presenting information. And I like that and that's refreshing versus I don't often do this, but I'm going to say one name that you would know, and I think this guy's smart. But Lane Norton obviously you know who that guy is or no, yeah, yeah, Like I sometimes I'm like, dude, I love this, but do you have to call everyone an idiot or a moron? It makes me like you less Just just like you're smart. You've got a PhD in nutrition, you're smart, and you don't need all the theatrics and the denner grading of everybody who doesn't think like you for me. And I know he has a lot of followers, but and maybe I'd have more followers if I did more of that. I don't know, but I don't care. I'd rather not do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean fundamentally, it's if my personality is not aligned to having like a malicious personal approach to these sorts of things. I'm interested in the way that the person's thinking. But you know, I do know Lane. I've done videos on Lane, I've had Lane on my show, so we have an interesting relationship.
Speaker 3: But Lane seeing is rage. His thing is rage and rage.
Speaker 2: It does create clicks and engagement and curiosity because he's this crazy, you know, very outgoing scientist that is not holding back, and that's his style. My my approach is, I'm far more interested in just looking at how this person is thinking.
Speaker 3: And like you said, if I can show people how.
Speaker 2: This person is being logically inconsistent, I think that's far more valuable than saying, you know, this guy's a dickhead and just like having some ad hominem attack, because then I think you can immediately discredit my argument the moment I attack them as a person. So I do I actually do. It's conscious. I consciously try to make sure what I'm saying is not a personal attack, and I think very deeply about the way that that person is thinking. And there's a whole lot of things I'm looking for, like certain types of fallacies, you know.
Speaker 3: One of the big ones is.
Speaker 2: Like the naturalistic fallacy that if something is natural, therefore it must be good. But you can point out examples like heavy metals are natural, yeah, but if mercury poisoning is that good? No, Like we can quickly realize that these are these are fallacies or logical inconsistencies, like you say, where on one day someone points to an animal study because the rat study is supporting their position, but then a week later they they discredit animal studies and say that, you know, animal studies don't translate to humans. And it's like, well, how can you have that position?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: And I think there are things in you know, not just in science but in life which are kind of generally in the space of true or helpful, but not always you know. And it's like, so for me as an excise scientist, when people like this kind of what's the best way, too, right, and then fill in the blank build strength, improve flexibility, range, movement, power, speed, muscular endurance, aerobic endurance or whatever, or what's the best way to eat or what's the best whatever, what's the best supplement, and so apart from the fact that that's not a great question, but you would then go, well, for who, because what's going to be optimal in terms of you know, nutrition and recovery and exercise and all these various stimuli. All these things that I'm going to do to my body that might work great for me would be a fucking train wreck for Simon because Simon ain't me and I ain't him, and so you know that that's when I'm I'm trying to help people to understand that. And I've had a version of this conversation many times. But like, for example, I've got a bunch of motorbikes. I love riding motorbikes. For me, it's actually fun and it produces like a good biochemical state in my body, and for me it's healthy. But for somebody else it produces the opposite response. It's actually doing something bad, you know. And it's even down to you know, the music that I listen to might create a positive internal state for me, you know, on a psychological, emotional, and physiological level, but the same music for someone else will create the opposite response, right and so it's not like is this music good or bad? Is this is this approach to nutrition good or bad? Is this workout good or bad? But rather how does your body respond to that particular thing? And I think for me, I'm really excited to try and help people to try and understand their own body and the way that it acts and reacts around all these different variables and go, well, you don't need to be a scientist to do something scientific, So why don't you leave everything else the same and for the next two weeks do X unless it's something ridiculous, but try that. Do two weeks of X, don't change anything else. See what happens. Your body will tell you. You know, we can do that, right right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Think we're aligned in the way that we think about that. So the way that I look at at least from nutrition and to come to sort of come back to your point about context, because you said for who, because context is always overlooked and in nutrition it's it's for who. So like, like you said, what's their goal? So like, if you're talking about protein or who are you talking about? What does their goal are?
Speaker 3: They?
Speaker 2: Are they an athlete that a strength athlete or are they a fifty five year old woman, Like, who are you talking about? And then in nutrition, if we're talking about anything, whether it's a nutrient or if we're talking about a food like eggs or red meat or fish or beans.
Speaker 3: Well, what dose are you talking about? How much are we talking about?
Speaker 2: And then also in nutrition it's it's it's not like you can't have a placebo because when so when when you make a food choice, it's usually coming at the cost of another food choice. There's an opportunity cost, so you have to consider compared to what. Okay, if I'm going to eat two hundred calories of beans, is that replacing ultra processed food or is that replacing red meat? And now you start to see like this is why the research can be very confusing, because even at a neutrienter of a food level, you have to be considering for who does compared to what?
Speaker 3: Every time.
Speaker 2: Or else you can find what seemed to be very conflicting studies, conflicting findings. But to your point about personalization, So I think one thing that I would put forward is that I think I totally agree that people should be able to play around and see what works best for them, and we might need to find what works best for them, Like what is that?
Speaker 3: What are they measuring? Is it just the way they feel?
Speaker 2: Or are they measuring things like in your area, they're probably measuring strength or speed or something.
Speaker 3: Like that as well.
Speaker 2: But I do think that sometimes people can hear that message and think, oh, right, we're all just so different. There's no general principles. I think there are general principles, like general heuristics that science has to have been tested and we understand that they work most of the time. And then from there you personalize so understanding that that studies are really telling us the average or typical response. And you can imagine like a bell curve. Okay, we all fall somewhere on the Bell curve, right, but we're not average. I mean we could be, but we're probably not average right at the middle of the Bell curve. We could be somewhere along there. So where our own experience, what we get from making some dietary change or some exercise change may not be represented in the average from a clinical study. Does that make sense to you, Yeah, So what we're putting forward at a public health recommendation is based on the average. So then I think that those are generally good guidelines, and from their people personalize and find a way that's working best for them, and then that brings us to what is working best, like, how do you actually define that or measure it at an individual level?
Speaker 1: I love it. I've been taking a slight left turn. But when I was when I was a kid, I was morbidly obese. Right, So I was the fattest kid in my school and my name at school was Jumbo. Right, this is pretty political correctness. So as I sit here today, I'm eighty one or eighty two kilos, and back then I was around ninety ninety one ninety two when I was fourteen years old, and about five inches shorter, right, so I was a big kid and all of this stuff. Anyway, I have this without boring you and my listeners for the million at the time. But this, you know, this moment in time, something happened wasn't horrendous, but it was just like for me psychologically, emotionally and sociologically pretty uncomfortable, and I just went fuck it, like a switch flicked. And that's when and then I lost a whole lot of weight in a relatively short time. And around that was apart from the weight loss and all those good things. And you know, I was fitter, and I was healthier, and I was more aware, but mentally, emotionally and socially, like my world changed quite dramatically. And so I've always been interested in the psychology for one of a better term, the psychology of getting in shape right, and understanding the role that my mind plays in physiology and whether that's nutrition or sleep or stress, anxiety or training or adaptation, physical you know, strength, power, all those things, but trying to understand my mind around all of this. And so I always had this fucking tempestuous relationship with food, right, because for me, food was like because I've never smoked, never drunk never, I've never been drunk, I've never had a beer, I've never been high, right, so whatever that means good, bad, boring. But for me, like food was like my drug. I would eat food all the time that I didn't need because it made me feel fucking great in the moment. You know, do you think that apart from the knowledge of this is this is what food is about? Or here's some information on micros and macros and intimate and fasting and all of these other things that we explore. Do you ever open the door on what I call our relationship with food, like the sociology, psychology, and emotion that kind of intersects with all of that and in many ways for many of us, dictates what we do and how we do it.
Speaker 2: I mean, what you were talking about, I think is a huge reason why there's so much quote unquote yo yo dieting or way. You know, diets don't don't often work long term, and you see that in the research when you look at weight loss, you see, you know, we're actually pretty good at losing weight in the first three or six months we are, and there's it's probably some short term willpower, right, But then what you tend to see is that you know, by two years, most of that weight has come back on off and often more so. I you you just mentioned there that it was like a switch flicked, So I'm interested, like, what have you gone back and double clicked on that and thought about what was that switch? What was what was underlying that that led to sustainable changes to the way that you were eating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So for me, it was uh, embarrassment, humiliation, I guess, a moment of self awareness and like I just and no, by the way, it was a hundred me. I didn't get bullied or anything, but I just had this moment in time at the year eight swimming sports where like I had a bit of a wake up call. But for me, that that very like I remember feeling. I had this feeling that was and I know it's like it's disproportionate when you look in the context of life in the world and people with real problems which I didn't have. But to me at that as that fourteen year old fat kid, that was so fucking painful that I just went, this is never happening again. I'm never doing this again. I'm never going to have this experience again. Like I associated more pain with staying in it than getting out of it. So whatever I need to do to not be this to not be. And for me, honestly, it was more about aesthetics at that stage, because I just to me anyway, I looked fucking hideous. And I know people go, oh, no, don't say it, but that's how I felt, right. So of course, the you know, the physiological benefits were great, but I was actually driven more by self esteem and ego or low self esteem and and just wanting to be liked and loved and valued and accepted, and to look not like I looked, so that I'd be more normal. So that was for me. It was like it was very much these internal emotional and psychological drivers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the the pain of the embarrassment outweighed the instantaneous comfort that you were getting from eating. Do you do you recall go back further? Do you recall when you started to gain weight? How old you were?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was probably about seven or eight, and I just yeah, I just I just ate everything that wasn't nailed down.
Speaker 2: And why do you think? Why do you think that was that something that you've gone back and looked at.
Speaker 4: That's a good question, doctor to fil So, you told me at the beginning, just to be clear, grag you said, mate, feel free to ask me any questions everyone.
Speaker 1: I totally gave him, And in fact I liked that that. I not that anyone needs to know about me, but it's I did say to Simon, I said, everyone, let's have a conversation. It doesn't need to be his question. Here's an answer for an hour. No, but I think they are good questions. Look, I really don't know, but I think that, like, I went to something like nine schools and my parents we moved a lot. I was an only kid. I'm still an only kid. I was by myself a lot. My parents were amazing, but they worked, so I would get home from school at three thirty or four and they would get home at six thirty or seven or whatever. So I spent a lot of time alone, and I was probably a little bit socially disconnected and isolated, especially in the younger years kind of you know, seven through ten, eleven, twelve, and I you know, I just I just fed myself and it's like, you know, that little dopamine kind of moment was pretty good, and I'd feel.
Speaker 2: Sure you were maybe getting some comfort, some comfort from those foods in the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, just I mean the simplest of answers is I felt good doing that. So I did that, you know, and it's yeah, but I that's why for me, when I'm talking about weight loss for a body or body composition or changing you know, changing how we look feel functional that with I always say to people, yeah, I'm excise scientists, but I'm also talking to you experientially and not just with the thousands of people that I've trained, but also as a person who is not genetically gifted, does not have still does not have massive self esteem, you know, for me to be you know, for me to be at sixty one with not great genetics and pretty fit and pretty strong and pretty lean. For me, it's and I've created a you know, an operating system that's automatic. So there's not a lot of willpower or sacrifice or discipline. But it's taken forever to be able to figure out how to make this thing that I live in work really well, you know, And I think that's one of the challenges is which we you know, kind of talking about a minute ago, But how do I build a you know, an automatic kind of operating system that that just works for my body? Like, what's the thing that I do sometimes when I'm in the middle of inspiration or motivation or whatever that actually just needs to be in all the time, non negotiable, you know. So this is and when I do this thing, I don't need a round of applause or a trophy or an accolade. No, this is just me doing the thing that I need to do. So, yeah, it's that that's what it's been for me. Anyway. For me, staying in shape is the first book I wrote was about the psychology of getting in shape, and I didn't even really understand fully what I was writing about, but I knew that for me it was it was almost a psychological emotional process with a physical outcome. Even though people would think changing your body is all about your body, for me, not really.
Speaker 2: No, there's a there's a huge I mean, I think I think anyone listening to this will will appreciate how complex this is, right, because everyone has their own story, and people are really struggling out there. People are really really struggling. And sure, we live in an environment where a food environment, where there is an abundance of indulgent foods that hijack the reward centers of our brain. They give us a reward that is unlike anything our ancestors would have had, right, and.
Speaker 3: We don't have to work for it. We don't have to work for it.
Speaker 2: And so if you, I mean, this is a bit, this takes us to a whole another question. But you mentioned the word willpower. Yeah, And a question that I often get is do we lack willpower? Is that why we're unhealthy? Is that why so many people are unhealthy, and I don't know if I don't think I don't think it is a lack of willpower.
Speaker 3: You know, if you if you could take let's say you take.
Speaker 2: One of the healthiest populations in the world, like the elders in Japan or some of there, like some of the Greeks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't think that they're healthier because they have fundamentally that these are people that have more willpower. I think they're healthier because they live in an environment that is conducive to the healthy choice they're probably they live in an environment that is arguably better for mental health, psychological wellbeing.
Speaker 3: They live in an environment.
Speaker 2: That's better for physical activity, that doesn't have the same amount of century lifestyle that we have, and they live in an environment where the convenient and cheap food choice is also the healthy food choice, whereas we live in an environment where people are under an enormous amount of stress. So there's you know, mental health pandemic, there is you know, sky high rates of loneliness and isolation. And then on top of that, so you take these people who who do not have optimal mental health and put them in an environment where they're tempted by all of these very high calorie dense foods that are ultra processed and contain all sorts of additives that, as I said, hijack these reward systems, and it's a recipe for chronic disease. And so to unravel that, I agree with you. I think to unravel that, A we have to think about the way our society is set up to foster better mental health from early age, from early age, and hand in hand, you have to change the way society is set up to reduce the century lifestyle that we're seeing, and to change the food environment. Simply asking people to make the healthy food choice. In a food environment like we live in, it's hard, right. There is a small percentage of people that can develop the willpower to do that, no doubt about it. You can look around, you can find examples, but most people can't. And so there has to be sure there has to be effort at the individual level.
Speaker 3: But in order to really.
Speaker 2: Tackle what we're talking about here, there has to be some very big, community wide, government led shifts as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. What interests me too is, like you know, with will power, self control, discipline, inspiration, motivation, all of those variables, right, it's we kind of hot hold those in high regard sometimes and I always say to people, look, when you're inspired and motivated, ride that wave to the beach. Right, that's great. But you know, I often get introduced corporately as a motivational speaker, which I fucking hate. But anyway, if it gets me work, if it gets me gigs, keep doing it. Right. But people are surprised when I say motivation is motivation is different things too, But in the context of this chat, we're talking about that emotional, heightened inspired state of motivation. You know, it comes and goes, and for many people, when the motivation goes, the behaviors go, so therefore the results go. And then there's three months of fucking around and then they're like they have of some kind of revelation and then they're inspired again for three weeks and then and then they're fifty and then they sit in front of me and say, this wasn't my plan, And I say, can I see the plan? They're like, what I go the plan of which you speak grasshopper, can I see it? And there is no fucking plan. There was just an idea of how things would turn out, right, And so I say to people all the time, you know, inspiration and motivation and even discipline and self control will power all of those things. They're definitely not bad things, of course, but they're not the solution. They're not the answer. I'm more interested in what you can do when you're not inspired and motivated. I'm more interested in what you can do when you don't feel like it, when it's inconvenient, when it's painful, when it's not fun, when it's not quick, when no one's looking, when no one's giving you a fucking round of applause or a medal, and it's And I know this is a little bit hardcore, but there everything that you said about environment I agree with. But most of us don't live in that environment, so we go all right. Nonetheless, I'm in this environment that isn't conducive. So in this environment, in this reality that I do live, and we don't need to be fucking Olympians or live on lettuce and meditate in a cave. But in the context of where I am, what can I do?
Speaker 3: Do you know?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, I know exactly so, And I think I distill this down to having intention So go back to what I just said about those populations, where like it's just naturally they're making the healthy decision without him thinking about it. These people aren't listening to podcasts, right, it's just the way it is.
Speaker 3: So I like it. I like it. I kind of compare.
Speaker 2: Our society to theirs by thinking about their society as a labyrinth. So a labyrinth is designed it it's actually a mindfulness practice. There's one way in and one way out. You don't have to make any decisions, just walk through it and you will you will find your way.
Speaker 3: Out the other side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, their society is like a labyrinth, whereas ours is like a maze. Right, it's very easy to get lost, okay, And so you need intention, you need you need some information because like it, like you said, so, our society is not going to change overnight. We live in a maze. That's that's the cards we've been dealt. So you need some intention so that as you get to that that juncture, you have a little whisper in your ear. Turn right, okay, turn right, okay, turn left, and so you have some guide it so you can guide your way out of the maze and achieve good health. Essentially, and I mean I I developed a completely free program called the Living Proof Challenge, and there's a PDF on my website. People can people can go and download it. It's free, there's no catches, no cost. And the whole premise of that challenge was exactly what we're talking about, Craig. It was like, what are the if you distilled it down from a lifestyle, what are like, what are the handful of things that would be good for people to test? Okay, so they kind of understand where the hell's are today, and then what are the handful of things that would be good for people to in their lifestyle?
Speaker 3: Adopt? Yeah, test, intervene, and then retest.
Speaker 2: Just setting people up with a very simple essentially like those whispers, to say, hey, you are your your unique, so we're going to test you just so you can see where you're at with these important things that we know predict good long term health, and then you're going to change some of your lifestyle, knowing that it doesn't have to be perfect, right, there's no point being perfect for two weeks. Let's commit to being imperfect for the next three, four, five decades. Okay, we're all going to have We're all going to have days where we fumble whatever that we're human, and then a retest. And so you have this model where you can just continually assess how you're going with very simplified kind of template of key things to measure that we know predict your risk of chronic disease and longevity. Yeah, and so that was my kind of simple, quote unquote simple solution to this complex problem that you just describe so eloquently when you said that this is the environment we have and it's not changing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean we'll wind up in a minute because you're a busy man, and so I appreciate you. Fuck, I've got a hard crush on you. I don't want you to be uncomfortable with that, but you're really good to got a man crush. You know. Another interesting thing Simon for me is when you know people can't get their shit together right and they're they're struggling, and it's like they start, they stop, they're in the zone, they're out of the zone. They lose a bit, they gain a bit, they get fitter, they get unfitter, and then they do nothing for six months. And that was my dad, and my dad had a heart attack at seventy two and died and was revived multiple times. So he's now eighty five. So that was thirteen years ago. And obviously, having me as a son, I was always pestering him about his habits, behavior's, lifestyle, you know, fat gut all that, because I'm a sympathetic son in love of course. But then the guy who was always like yeah, yeah, and yep, and I did yeah. You know, as soon as he had his heart attack, complete paradigm shift, complete thinking shift, like internal reset. And even in the hospital he was saying to me when he was recovering after open heart surgery, which it was back then, he was saying, you need to tell me what I have to do. Like he'd never spoken to me like that in his life. Now, all of a sudden, the dude, and then obviously he comes out of hospital, he loses twenty five k's, he starts walking every day, he goes to the gym, he gets stronger, he changes his habits and behavior and outcomes. He drinks les booze. It's fucking it's a new it's him two point zero, right. I'm like, Buck, you could have done this anytime. You didn't have to nearly die. Right. That's the thing that frustrates me sometimes, mate, is that that people actually have the fucking incredible potential to do amazing shit now now, but they wait for the catastrophe, they wait for the terror, you know.
Speaker 2: Right, we take our health for granted. That's how I mean, that's how you would distill that, right, Like where so many of us wait for something to happen and then we say, okay, let's get our shit together, right. I Either that or you see someone very close to you go through an experience where they have, you know, terrible health or perhaps they even pass away from something, and that is often a driver for people. It's similar to me like seeing my dad have a heart attack when I was when I was young. But what I would say to the listener is that because not everyone's going to have that direct experience, and we want people to make changes earlier in life, I think you need to think of it like essentially savings for retirement right now, If you're going to retire at sixty sixty five, we all know, like it would be far better if you start saving at twenty five thirty. Yeah, correct, Look if you haven't and it's forty five great, say from now, and you'll still be in a much better position when you retire. But this is the same thing when it comes to your health and we talk about your risk of chronic disease or you know, your risk of having a fracture, and your bone density and your risk of just having a fall and losing strength as you age, we can we are all going to have a reduction enbonement of density, We're all going to have a reduction in the amount of skelidal muscle, we go going to have a reduction in strength. But what we can do is we can affect the rate of that reduction dramatically. And the earlier we start in life, the higher we are when we start to have that that decline. And so that's the way that I think I like to explain it to someone who's thinking, you know, why start when I'm thirty or forty, I'll just wait until I'm fifty and have more time.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, And that's health span versus lifespan as well.
Speaker 2: Right, exactly so, And for people that haven't heard of that, I mean most people probably have now. But health span is essentially speaking to the number of years you live in good health. So you can do whatever it is that you love to do right as opposed to lifespan just being total years lived. But some of those years you might be severely handicapped. And so we're trying to compress that window of years where you are affected by disease and able to do the things you love so that it's a very small period at the end of the life, and then increase all the years that you're in you're in good health. But start early is to take her message there as early as you can. It's never too late, but earlier the better.
Speaker 1: And so appreciate you. I could talk to you for a long time, but I won't do that to you. How can people connect with you? Find you, follow you? Your podcast is the Proof, which is brilliant. How often is that out?
Speaker 3: Once a week?
Speaker 1: At the moment, try harder, so do bad.
Speaker 2: You know, my dad always says room for improvement, so I can hear him right now.
Speaker 1: That's all right.
Speaker 3: You know what when you said, when you said you.
Speaker 2: Do one and one a day, I did immediately. I felt immediately, I felt a little lazy.
Speaker 3: So thanks for that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you can search the Proof on any podcast platform or YouTube and then on if you're on Instagram. You can just search my name at Simon Hill and you can find me there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gid up, Hey mate, thank you so much. We'll say goodbye off air, but for the moment. Thanks for being part of the You project and so nice to meet you and I appreciate you.
Speaker 3: Thanks Craig, you're a legend. Appreciate you too,