Speaker 1: You can listen to the fronts on your smart sneaker every morning to hear the latest episode, just say play the news from The Australian.
Speaker 2: From the Australian, here's what's on the front. I'm Christian Amiot. It's Thursday, September nineteenth. Childcare should be free for families earning under eighty thousand dollars, according to the Productivity Commission. Its new report to the Government says all families with kids under five should have access to at least thirty hours of high quality early childhood education for forty eight weeks per year. Court action is on foot over allegations of inappropriate language at the Australian Federation of Islamic Councils. The case, which is heading for the Federal Court, includes a woman's allegation she was made to feel awkward and uneasy at work, something the accused man strongly denies. Wellness, me too, and the place of women in journalism. Those are the topics some of The Australian's journalists covered in a special panel discussion celebrating the paper's sixtieth anniversary on Wednesday night. Claire Harvey, the Australian's editorial director and the regular host of the Front, was joined by columnist jet Albritton, literary editor Caroline Overington, and legal affairs correspondent Ellie Dudley. Subscribers get access to live events like this one all year round. Join us at the Australian dot com dot au. In today's episode of The Front, we're bringing you some of that fascinating discussion.
Speaker 1: As you may know, Moy Redeeming, who is a Victorian member of the Upper House, is suing the Victorian Liberal leader John Pursuito for defamation because she's very vocally pro women's rights, pro women's spaces. She appeared at a rally where some neo Nazis showed up. The Liberal leader sacked her from the party, saying that she was associating with the wrong kind of people. She's now suing him for defamation. But it has really made me think that it's not that long ago that this issue, women's rights, women's spaces, trans rights, gender diversity was all we were talking about before we got obsessed with Israel and Gaza. So I thought I might ask you, Janet a very twenty twenty two question, what is a woman?
Speaker 3: Well, yes, isn't it sad that we asked that question at all and that people fumble the answer. I'm not going to answer it because we know what a woman is. It's just become so silly. But constantly we see the word woman expunged, we see chest feeders, and the language around that's being used to get rid of women is I think so detrimental to women, And there's absolutely nothing wrong with someone like Mara Deming supporting that. That's the problem, though, isn't it when you turn up to those events that rat bags turn up. They try to destroy what's going on, and the neo Nazis will do that all the time. It happens everywhere. You can't pick and choose who you appear with. You just have to stay true to what you believe in, and I think that she was absolutely entitled to do that at the Liberal Party in Melbourne. Is a curious creature that it feels uncomfortable with those issues. But as you say, it was one of those issues that we were talking about so much a couple of years ago, but it hasn't gone away. I look at what JK. Rowling has done in many ways. I think that her most important work has been how she has responded and confronted and challenged the more radical parts of the trans movement. As much as we love for Harry Potter books, she really has been at the forefront of doing that and giving cover to a lot of people who wanted to raise their hands and say, well, we're what a woman is, and we won't have any of this expunging the word woman from our language.
Speaker 1: Carolin, you covered the literary world in the world of books. How did JK. Rowling avoid being canceled?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm not sure that she hasn't been entirely canceled. I know that some of the actors who appeared in her films no longer have anything to do with her, and many people say that they no longer read the books. So I'm not quite sure that she hasn't been canceled, at least at the margins. I mean, I think what's really interesting about JK. Rowling is that she was herself the victim of domestic violence or male violence. She was in a relationship with somebody who was violent towards her. There's no doubt about that. That was a matter of police attention, and so she has always in her private life funded refuges for women who are escaping domestic violence, and she wanted to keep those spaces free of men. But it's become difficult to do because, as we've seen in various court cases, if men decide that they want to enter women's spaces and vice versa, those barriers are now falling. And we've we've seen it both ways. We've seen men wanting to women female only pools, and we've seen women wanting to enter men's only clubs. What she was saying is I want to fund spaces that where women who are escaping violence can feel safe, and she was told it through various avenues that that was not possible that men would be welcome in these spaces, and that was how she became involved in the whole drama. But it has I think it's heartening in a way that women are now such full citizens of democracy that they are often at the forefront now of these freedom movements, if you will. It was also Lionel Shreiver, the writer who was at the front of the campaign to say that people should be able to write whatever books they like, regardless of whether they're staying in their lane. You might remember that she turned up in Brisbane controversially wearing a sombrero on her head, and she said, if I want to write a Mexican character, I will. If I want to write a disabled character, I will. If I want to pretender that I'm gay or trans or whatever, I will. Because I'm a writer and I'm a creator, and I'm entitled to tell the stories that I want to tell, and you, as the audience, will judge me. You will decide whether or not I'm any good. You very rarely see men entering this space. They seem to be a little shy when it comes to standing up for some of these issues, which are basically about censorship.
Speaker 1: What's been your perspective on that, Ellie. You're part of a generation who are putting their pronouns on their email signatures. They are very open to the notion that trans people are vulnerable and that they have been excluded from society, and that this is an opportunity to give them some rights and some recognition. And yet every day you are covering the law where things tend to be a little bit more black and white. What's your take on all of that, especially coming from the generation that you do well.
Speaker 5: I think it's just become normal Now that's just the expectation, the expectations that you've got your pronouns and your email signature, and that you would be of course welcoming and accepting to anybody from any walks of life, as you should be anyway. I cover the law and I've spent a lot of time in family court watching cases fathers and mothers fighting over whether or not their young children should be prescribed puberty blockers. You know, instances where parents may have transitioned and the impact that they may have had on their child. It's incredibly complex. The law, as you mentioned, is black and white, but it seems like these cases are so gray. And yet when they're entering these spaces, you can see these judges sitting behind the bench thinking, oh my gosh, how am I going to possibly deal with this and how can we bring justice? And how in family court cases, how are we going to find what's best for this child? It's incredibly difficult.
Speaker 2: Coming up after the break more from our sixtieth anniversary Women in Journalism panel, we'd love it if you could join one of our live events. They're available exclusively for subscribers to The Australian Plus. There's access to breaking news, lively commentary and expert analysis around the clock. Check us out at the Australian dot com dot au and we'll be back after this break.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: Consent legislation around consent is one of the biggest changes that we have seen in the past decade. I suppose in law all jurisdictions in Australia now have affirmative consent laws which require enthusiastic, ongoing participation to sex. Janet, what's your take on that? Perhaps consequence lit corollary to the me too movement and the way it is shaking out through the law.
Speaker 3: It was probably an inevitable part of the me too movement in the sense that we believe all women necessarily meant that the moment that a woman had raised an allegation of sexual assault, we had to believe that woman. So therefore you had to have this thing called affirmative consent, which means basically, at every stage of sex you are giving consent. I've never really worked out how in practice it operates. I genuinely believe it's one of these theoretical things that in practice, how do you decide that there is enthusiastic consent? The whole way through, and I think we will see more and more cases which expose that something that sounds okay to the me too movement, maybe when it's applied in a court of law, when you have to actually produce evidence is much harder.
Speaker 1: What do you think about that, Ellie, You've grown up in a generation who are much more comfortable talking about this kind of issue than my generation. What's your take on the kind of agitation that some in society have felt about those laws.
Speaker 5: I think the consent is incredibly important, and I think that seeking consent is an incredibly important thing that needs to be done. I had an argument with somebody recently. He was about, oh gosh sixty five or so about whether or not saying I need to take a break is a withdrawal of consent or not. Those are the sort of questions that the court's coming up against. Is what does that affirmative consent look like? And what does a withd rowle of consent look like? If you're consenting at the beginning, but then you stop midway through, what does that look like? And honestly, it is one of the greyest areas of law that we've got, and I don't think anyone really knows what the solution is to ensure that women are safe in that predominantly women are safe in their sexual encounters, but also to ensure that men aren't being put in prison for a crime that they either didn't realize that they were committing or.
Speaker 3: Or didn't commit at all. One thing that doesn't change in many of these cases is that it comes down to ahesage. She said, yeah, situation. So unless you have it in writing, you can claim that you got consent or you can claim that you gave consent, and that part of the sexual assault equation doesn't change, and that's what has always made sexual assault so fraught.
Speaker 1: Well, one of the most detailed examinations of consent that I've seen, and I'm sure many of you watched it too, was just as Michael Lee's granular examination of what happened between Brittney Higgins and Bruce Lahman on that night in twenty nineteen when she says she went back to Parliament House with him thinking that they were going to be collecting some documents or maybe collecting his keys, he said, they went back to work on some French submarine documents. Justice Michael Lee found that in fact, whatever they went there for that she did not consent to what ultimately happened. That was Justice michael Lee's finding. Janet, that was in the middle of an epic judgment that we all were digesting very quickly. What was your take on the way Justice michael Lee worked his way through that reasoning in the defamation matter.
Speaker 3: I thought mostly it was a very good judgment and he put a great deal of work into it, and it was the first time really that a judge had gone through and looked at this because, of course Bruce Lheman's criminal trial was aborted, so we never had a resolution to this. But remember this is not a criminal resolution. It's in a defamation case. It's on the balance of probabilities. And Michael Lee went through the facts forensically, and that was always a risk for Bruce Lehman that that would be the finding. From the moment that this case started, I was never and I don't want this to sound callous, but I was never terribly interested in what happened that night. I was interested in whether there could be a fair trial. And I think the moment that it became trial by media, trial by parliament, trial by just about every institution, in this country that coalesced against the presumption of innocence, including a Prime minister at the time. He got up in Parliament and said that he was apologizing for things that had happened that night and subsequent to that night. It was impossible to have a fair trial. It wasn't just unfair to a defendant who had been charged and not yet heard in a court of law, but it was terribly unfair to two women who were at the center of that. And that was of course, on the other allegation which became, as Michael Lee said, the major motif, which was the political cover up allegation. There were two women at the center of that who had been accused of a horrendous act of cring up. And I think at the Australian we have done such a tremendous job of making sure that we have covered this case from just about every angle that we could, because it seemed to us that much of the media were not interested in hearing from other women in this case. That believe all women only applied to Britney Higgins. That when Linda Reynolds claimed that she in fact did everything that she thought she could to support Brittany Higgins in the days after, and when Fiona Brown said the same thing, they weren't given as much credibility, and I think that was really sad to watch. And certainly the other part of Michael Lee's judgment that I found particularly riveting because there was literally no evidence to support an allegation of a political cover up, and he finally put that to bed, and we had been waiting a long time for that to happen, Ellie.
Speaker 1: Now we're seeing another defamation matter spinning out of this story which has grown so many heads it's quite remindable and as it ended, quite a few careers along the way, by the way, the defamation of cases, of course, Senator Linda Reynolds suing Brittaney Higgins and in a separate preceding her husband David Scheraz, over tweets that they made, which she says implied imputed that she did not care for Britney Higgins' welfare and that the conspiracy was true. What's been your sense of the point of defamation action? Is it worth it? Is it worth suing for defamation?
Speaker 5: It's life ruining. It's absolutely life ruining, As Justice Michael Lee said, Bruce Leman went back for his hat, went back into the Lions, done for his hat, and that was a terrible result for him. We know that Linda Reynolds has put up her house as part of all of this. It's a terrible situation that bankrupts people all in in search of a vindication of a reputation. So look, if you're certain that you're gonna win by all means. But I think that we had an explosion of defamation cases over the past few years. But I think that this is just the latest of them that is probably going to be incredibly damaging the many parties involved.
Speaker 4: The first thing I would disagree about is whether or not there could have been a fair trial, because I did cover criminal cases for a very long time, and I understand that some of these cases are civil. But I believe very much in the juris system, and I have seen juries go into courtrooms where the accused is very well known. An example of that would be Ivan Malatt. And also I covered a case in Queensland where the murdered child was David Daniel Molcombe and that was a case that everybody in Queensland knew everything about. And yet when you sit twelve members of the Australian public down. They are such good people by and large, and you, as a judge can say to them, I want you to forget everything you have heard up until now. The responsibility on your shoulders is solemn and serious, and I want you to listen only to me and only to the evidence that you hear in this courtroom, and you come to your decision honestly. And if people say to you afterwards, well you got it wrong. Obviously he did it or she did, or he didn't rape her or she did or whatever, then you can honestly say, from the good position in which you sit, I sat in the room, I listened to the evidence, I heard both sides, and I made my decision, and I think we can trust them. I think we can trust Australians in that way.
Speaker 2: As listeners to the Front.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: Bruce Lamon is appealing that finding in the Federal Court and has always vehemently denied any wrongdoing. Claire Harvey is The Australian's editorial director and the regular host of the Front. She was joined by colonist Janet Albretson, literary editor Caroline Overington, and legal affairs correspondent Elie Dudley. To register for special events like this one, go to the Australianplus dot com dot au