Speaker 1: Code Sports Center, l Rundown. It's Magic Round edition. Michael Carryanus, you'd be pretty happy about Magic Round.
Speaker 2: Sure, why.
Speaker 1: Excited?
Speaker 2: I was excited for a weekend.
Speaker 1: I foot it.
Speaker 2: We're not there, so my excitement's tempered.
Speaker 1: Well, the team that is there is Dave's Cronella Sharks, but there's lots of teams out of there. They've been dune it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they've been doubtable.
Speaker 4: They're coming up against your Eels Mobs.
Speaker 3: You so look, I know what you're referencing, and it was actually to your credit, you highlighted this yourself. And it is the short turnaround from being the last game of the weekend against the West Tigers in that Golden Point thriller and being the first cab off the rank in Magic Round at six o'clock on Friday night against the team coming off the buy ten day break ten day break. If you even go a little bit further, we'll come back to this game, go a little bit further.
Speaker 4: The Sharks play next week.
Speaker 3: They play mainly mainly have the buye.
Speaker 2: Off the back of all their travel they did earlier in the year.
Speaker 3: And what we do know about the Sharks is they were with one of the Vegas teams and since then they've gone to Townsvill, Canberra, Perth like last week, Newcastle, yeah, and now Brisbane. It's going to be a very tough task for this Shark's side.
Speaker 4: To find the energy.
Speaker 3: Against a paramoutic side with the with the kicking game of Mitch Moses. Oh look, I'm sure, I'm certain they can win. But a they're in a very very tough spot with the amount of travel and the draw they've been exposed to.
Speaker 2: The good news is mobbs that they've had a pretty soft draw for the last few years, so it's caught up with Oh okay.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: It is and they battled COVID and sickness and stuff like that, right the Sharks, So.
Speaker 4: Two injuries creeping into the team as well.
Speaker 2: It's a battle for them just to sort of stay afloat. And I don't know how affected they will be by Origin.
Speaker 4: I don't think that'll be all.
Speaker 2: That's going to be a massive bonus front where you know, hopefully by that stage, you know other sides are struggling and battling around that period, they might be able to cash in a little bit.
Speaker 1: What do you mean, hopefully other teams are struggling.
Speaker 2: Well like for them, you right, because they have have have copped it.
Speaker 3: From what I understand is this week, the week consisted of one training session.
Speaker 4: In preparation for paramatter.
Speaker 3: They fly to Brisbane today being Thursday, and get on get on the field, and maybe maybe that's the perfect response they need after a pretty disappointing performance with the opportunity to win that game about six to seven times against the Tigers.
Speaker 4: The best way to respond is to get back out there.
Speaker 1: But it's just a little case study in something you've done over at Code Sports on the draw itself and just.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's the hot It's incredibly lopsided and the NRL acknowledged that it needs to be better and in the future we'll see AI technology become involved in the formation of the draw once we get Perth involved.
Speaker 4: But it's simply lotsided.
Speaker 3: The amount of travel some teams do compared to other teams is extraordinary. The Bulldogs have got a terrific draw this year, not leaving New South Wales sorry, leaving New South Wales only a handful of time.
Speaker 2: First time last week.
Speaker 1: Last week yep, he got protroounced.
Speaker 3: And Brisbane's another great example, hardly leaving Sun Call and you've got the Raiders the Sharks. Manly Anthony Seabe highlight highlighted this three games in eleven days, like it's just in a competition that is so physically taxing, how one team can copy it.
Speaker 4: So much more severe than another.
Speaker 2: It's unfair games eleven days is crazy.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: It shouldn't be happening. I know, like the travel and the things like that. It's hard to maneuver because there's never going to be a fair draw unless you play everyone twice home and away, which is never gonna happen again. Right, So it's not gonna even if you play everyone once, teams are still going to travel more than others and stuff like that. So unless you play everyone twice, we're never going to have a full leaf fair draw. But you shouldn't be playing three games in eleven days, or at.
Speaker 1: Least they gave the Broncos and Dolphins the away games for magic this weekend. Yeah yeah, far you talk about draw, look team, I want to talk about the Newcastle Knights. Can they get a win against an injury rap injury and suspension ravage South Sydney?
Speaker 3: Well if they, if they can't jeez, like, if this is if this is.
Speaker 4: Not their chance that when when? Yeah?
Speaker 3: When, Like it's been a tough year for the Knights attack wise, and then and the Rabbit O's have lost.
Speaker 4: So much in LUs, in their spine and in their leadership.
Speaker 3: Now Jack Watton gone for four weeks, guys with a calf injury.
Speaker 1: Big loss.
Speaker 3: And so Lewis Dodd gets his opportunity against a Night side that are just so desperate.
Speaker 1: He only needed five other people to drop off because have a look at this south half's pecking order, Cody Walker, Jamie Humphries, Ji Gray, Latrell, Mitchell, Jack Whitton, Lewis Dodd sixth in order to mike what's going on with Aden Sullivan? Jaden Sullivan? You know seven?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: There's lots of unpacking this game. Firstly, the day it's point Newcastle, Like they obviously have struggled for points, they've struggled to go forward. They're probably the best side they've been able to put on paper this year. Is this weekend right with all those forwards back and so you know that helps them. But yeah, they need to win this game Newcastle against the depleted South Sydney side, and then you look at you know, on the flip side, you look at Sous and you look at what Lewis Dodd's going to do. All eyes will be on him. It is strange to see. It probably wasn't strange to see him overlooked for the start of the season because he had a shoulder injury and then that suspension, so I was ineligible for week one and Jamie humph has killed it and then you know, all right, jaded Sullivan had started well with Katie work. I say, okay, so I get it, but now I was shocked that they didn't name him this weekend to start. So let's hope he goes and puts in a performance that can keep his spot because he's under a lot of scrutiny for a kid that's out here on big money with big expectations.
Speaker 3: The big thing for the Knights is something you just mentioned in relation to Cronulla, and it's how the Knights get through the origin period because they will be without Kylam Ponger, who we know in this game against South Sydney will be the men that the Knights will be looking to turn it on at Magic Round KP and if they don't start banking wins now with him. It doesn't augur well for when he is out due to origin.
Speaker 2: They have to win. They have to win Newcastle and you know Ponger and Sharp and even Brad rebst there, they're front foot players right like Sharp and Ponger particularly, they just haven't had the forwards to get him on the front foot of the Newcastle Knights because you know the long injury told that they've had and you know Lea Thompson's been basically trying to carry that forward pack on his own to start the year. So I think that helps THEEFEEDI back Elliott back, that that will give him some go forward that they haven't had and they're going to need that so they can have Sharp and Ponger hopefully playing off the front foot.
Speaker 1: Do you think they'll lose potentially Bradman best of original or you don't think he's in the running.
Speaker 2: I think he's in the running, but Newcastle's poor start the season is going to hurt him. He's had cracking performances when he's played for New South Wales in the past, so yeah, he's definitely in the running, but he's sport may depend on Tom Dravoiovich Latrelle. You know Stephen Crichton will be there, so there are some things to play out. But yeah, he's definitely in the running, but they need to find some points on the origin front. Who's your Newspals Blues fullback.
Speaker 4: It's a great debate because.
Speaker 3: Due to the current form of the Penworth Pantss, Dylan Edwards is suddenly under some scrutiny.
Speaker 4: Looked for me, I would stick with Edwards and I think.
Speaker 3: In that environment, elite players play to an elite level and that's what Edwards does. He put him in the environment and he will maintain his high standard of football. In saying that I just should should they go to Desco, Well, I wouldn't be shocked. Teddy's just flying at the moment. But for me, I would stick with Dylan Edwards.
Speaker 1: Yah.
Speaker 2: It's probably been in the same sort of debate the last at least two seasons, and like I would pick James Desco. I just think he's in outstanding form. And you know Dylan that has been okay, but it hasn't know, he's been slow to find his feet, like look at the Penrith side.
Speaker 3: So I do remember what Edwards did in last year's years when he came back from injury, Teddy got his chance.
Speaker 4: Teddy didn't play bad at all.
Speaker 2: He was okay Teddy in the game one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it wasn't It wasn't horrible.
Speaker 2: It wasn't horrible.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: No, Like, I'm not going to sit and say they have to pick James Tedesco because if they pick Dylan Edwards, I'll be like sweet, Like I'm not going to die on this hill. But I would lean towards Tedesco just because he's been incintilating form.
Speaker 1: Well. Blues coach Laurie Daly says that if I'm picking, I'm going to pick on form. So where does that put Ryan Pappenhausen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's closet and he's been in and around that new South Wild squad, you know, injuries of crawling from playing making his debut.
Speaker 3: Butchies are a huge call to go Papenhausen over Edwards and Tedesco.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a monster.
Speaker 1: Call for Laws. Yeah, he's got a couple of big ones. Mate. But if not, now for Papenhausen, when when does he play Origin Because obviously injury could tailed him a couple of years ago the Blues Undermadge seemed to move on from Teddy last year. You could argue that Edwards isn't in the greatest to form this year. I think he's playing okay, but you know, it's tough in that pedes Papenhausen is just such a freak moment.
Speaker 2: And he was close to the bench spot for a couple of years as well, the very least because obviously Tedesco was going to be the fullback and you know that versatility that he offers in that and you know he's done that job in Melbourne. You're going years back, but you know he's lost it. Like Connor Watson offers more as a fourteen now and Tyrone Wish those sort of players. So I don't I think it's either start or nothing for Pappenhausen now, where a few years ago, the way the game was played, you probably would have carried him or they were going to carrying him at some stage on the bench. But yeah, I just think that the way Teddy's playing, he's he's just.
Speaker 3: There's been plenty of great players that had to buy their time. I mean the dealing Edwards is one of them. Such a way behind Teddy so perhaps just might have to wait his time right.
Speaker 1: Something to watch out for this weekend. I need your sinbin predictions. I need a number we have. Last week we had eighteen. Just for a bit of context, we had eighteen. Last round. We had eighteen in the first five rounds. Yep, and Rabdo has obviously come out this week and said there's probably been an over correction, and so they're going to look at that. Give me a number.
Speaker 4: I'll go six.
Speaker 2: I was going to say six. I'll go seven. Yeah, I was going to go six.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why so few?
Speaker 2: They won't want to frenzy last week.
Speaker 4: They won't want to ruin Magic Round.
Speaker 2: I did miss some last week.
Speaker 1: They won't want to done it before.
Speaker 2: We start earlier this year, so they got ahead of all the resulting ground curve. Yeah, I'm going to what are you saying, Mom's half that yeah number?
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. It's funny because I'm worried about the ground at Magic Ground as well. Players are slipping. There's pretending for high shots, that's what you're saying. Well, i'd have it at eight.
Speaker 4: I have it.
Speaker 2: I don't think there's going to be an eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I've had eight text messages from trumpet. Oh my goodness, that's what I've had eight of today? How only today?
Speaker 1: How are they going to guarantee three percent home loans? What about the iron can? I okay, wait for this?
Speaker 4: Where's trumpet? Trumpet?
Speaker 1: Let me alone for the election to be gone. I didn't know this. You're an election hound? Love it? Oh?
Speaker 4: He loves a worm?
Speaker 2: I love? Don't you love news? I love tals rights?
Speaker 1: Who's your bell? Weather seat? Like? I just love the seven mania?
Speaker 3: I love so earlier earlier today, at the top of the show, Mobbsy said no one more excited about Magic Around than Mick.
Speaker 4: Did you see his response?
Speaker 3: He forgot it was on because the election is on and he's an election hound.
Speaker 2: Last state election, I sort of had got the ABC boys to switch the game, well, especially the seven thirty game, so we could do the three pm game so I would go home and watch the election.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is believable.
Speaker 2: It's a lot harder year old. I don't even know if I can watch the football the.
Speaker 4: Top off the top of my head, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Wich is the five point thirty Saturday game in Magic Round? However, you will not be watching that game.
Speaker 2: No, of course we were in an ideal world, but my household doesn't operate in an ideal world. At the moment, I'd have the footy on the big screen, and I'd have the hypad.
Speaker 1: Out with the election costany Saturday, five point thirty pm. Warriors Cowboys, you were a million to one.
Speaker 2: I've got some very important Warriors fantasy players.
Speaker 1: Right which I want to move straight into that Lechahalacinoh, yeah, this kid is really impressing. And you talk to the people over at the Warriors and they're just they're saying, we're just scratching the surface of what this kid's capable of. Obviously, we saw that try against the Tigers a few weeks ago, which just opened people's eyes. But this little production line of Fords have got going through, and you take on the Warriors, given how bad they were at Magic Round Vegas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, vegasrific. That was so bad in Vekers, it was so bad. Yeah, And like they were so bad. I had a good time a couple of weeks ago. They had a good time also bad a couple of weeks ago as well. But I think that stems in from an inexperienced Hars parent that haven't played a lot of first grade and had a lot of played a lot of first grade together, and then into those young rising forwards who aren't going to find that level of consistency that they need. But there is tremendous upside in this Warriors side. And you know, one of the unsung players of the competition at the moment's Wade Egan like and he looks fit like the probably way like towards the back end of the years, the last few years, he looks batter, you know, but he's looking free and stuff like that. So yeah, they're just sneaking along quietly.
Speaker 1: The word boys, we're rocked tough out that way.
Speaker 2: So he might be a great buy for the grades.
Speaker 1: He's been real good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you've been, I've been. You talk to the Warriors.
Speaker 3: For the last three to four years, the name of Lekka hallis seem has been the one name that just keeps coming back to us for the last three or four years, and to the point of which when they released Zion Mayou earlier these year, to the Bulldogs, Warriors fans were up in arts, how could you do this?
Speaker 4: We love the look of Zion. Well, they knew exactly what they were doing. They knew what that was coming through.
Speaker 2: And he's not alone. Apparently they got a couple all those rises forwards that they just as you said, they don't know how good they.
Speaker 4: Can be yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have a look at the Harold Matt's team as well as a young fullback there just lighting things up. They're just starting to really get that production line going, which could bode really well for him. Another young kid. Want to talk about like in King Tongia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, gets his opportunity Mobs. He's played a couple of games last year. Last year, Yeah, I look talking to the Dragons coaching staff about like, and they're excited to see his running game. He doesn't mind taking the line on liking so and that's something that they wanted Lachlan Elias to do more of and it just wasn't forthcoming and so like, and he's got a lot of confidence and has been playing very well in the New South Wales Cup. He's defender as well, which is certainly something that Elias has been spotlighted for. As far as his relegation to reserve grad what about Lachland Alias, he goes from the potential of playing in front of forty forty five thousand magic round to lid come over on Sunday against in front of about five hundred people to get his career back on track into the new South Wales Cup.
Speaker 1: It's good enough for Locky Galvin mate for it's key for the Locke eh yeah Queenslander.
Speaker 4: Yep, yeez. Come played his junior footy with Dorby.
Speaker 1: Okay, yep Derby Devils.
Speaker 3: Maybe I might be wrong there, but yeah he's a very good talent.
Speaker 2: Just three signed h castle are in for him, so it's I think the Dragons definitely need some spark, they need some speed and that's probably the criticism of the Dragon so far is just a lack of running threats. To Dave's point. You know, with Kyle, Funny is always in the game, right you see him were with the Boy. He's always supporting, he's always pushing up, he's always the one leading the kickchase, He's doing all those effort areas. But what he does like his speed, right, and this is what you know the Dragons and that's why they bought Daniel Andkinson. Who's going to provide a bit of spark I guess next year in the hars but like and gets an opportunity now to hopefully just kickstart that dragon's attack a bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are the Gold Coast Titans have to do this weekend? Well, I know what they have.
Speaker 4: To have to show a bit of grit and resilience.
Speaker 1: But des has the deflector at his ultimate best this week.
Speaker 2: Made outstanding, very amusing when he listened to des rant for whatever and then travels like, you're not trying to deflect from your four straight losses or whatever it is, and they's like you said that. I guess No, I didn't. I was just asking Trav them fire there.
Speaker 1: But oh, I think he's who does he think he's fooling or does he just like playing the mind game.
Speaker 3: Look, I've got concerns for the Titans and I can't I can't get my head around their roster management. Like Aj Brimson's on around eight hundred thousand dollars and he's I think the overwhelming belief is his best.
Speaker 4: He's shown his best football at fullback and that's.
Speaker 3: That's big money, of which you would pay a decent fullback.
Speaker 4: But he's not playing there.
Speaker 3: They've got clearly got injury with Kieren for and their experience half on the sideline.
Speaker 4: That's a problem.
Speaker 3: They need to They need to sort this, David for Food a situation out. I think it's been an unmitigated disaster, this million dollar signing of a back rowa who can only touch the ball when the attack is set up for him to touch the ball. At his best, he's devastating. At his worst, he's non existent. And we see him demoted from this team by Des Haslar.
Speaker 4: And it's almost a realization Dares.
Speaker 3: Of what Billy Slater saw in last year's Origin series by overlooking Dave Feeder for the entire series.
Speaker 4: This isn't some shock. Billy Slater saw it twelve months.
Speaker 3: Ago that he's not that elite level backgrower that can play at an Origin level. Yet the Titans have invested a million dollars into this player, of which I said, as I said, I think it's just been an unmitigated disaster.
Speaker 2: I have to argue with Dave's point. Obviously, last year the Roses and penrith in fre him. He committed to the Ruses and then backflip. But yeah, not my style of player.
Speaker 3: So he's available on the open market from November one. He's off contract at the Titans. At the end of twenty twenty six.
Speaker 4: So it's going to be fascinating to see one.
Speaker 3: Do the Titans attempt to resign him at the same figure, at a lesser figure, or do they let him go to market.
Speaker 2: You can't keep him on the same figure in the world.
Speaker 1: But that's a hard thing with players and managers when a player has been paid a certain amount for so long and they just think that's market value. But I think they're in for a bit of a rude shock, aren't they. But again, we'll go eighteen teams and then nineteen teams.
Speaker 2: So don't think. I still don't think a club's going to command he's going to command of mind dolls. I just don't see.
Speaker 4: He's a back roller. That's the catch, right you.
Speaker 3: That position is so beholden to how your halves provide you the footy. Yeah, it's not like Jason Talmalalo situation where he's cutting that foot with.
Speaker 2: The Tino Tina well value they get out of Tina. Tino's worth the mind doors. She's all right, you know, but you know you've got the same the same team, same sort of money, same at the same club. You're giving Tino that money every day of the week for feeder.
Speaker 1: Not for me. Teams on the back foot. Canterbury last weekend against the Broncos, that pack that were just they couldn't get they couldn't get a foothold in there. Titans, are they up against it now because this Bulldog's I had to be smarting if if you know Camin Serado and what he'd be putting his troops through after that week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, the one thing they do get mobs if the Titans is a couple out from the Dogs with Stilly Tubanura and Josh Current suspended so to Matt Burton, so there is a little window of opportunity to chip away it.
Speaker 4: Maybe some scars at the Bulldogs, but.
Speaker 3: I come back to the consistency of this Dog's team. There's always going to be an outlier in your in your season, and maybe that one one was against a red hot Bronco side.
Speaker 4: They blew them off the park in the first twenty five minutes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do a lot of the response the Dogs was good second half and showed a lot of showed everything that we've seen of them. They've got a lot of character and spirit within that team, so I certainly expected response from the dogs for sure, for sure.
Speaker 2: For mind the dogs probably aren't as good as you know, first place on the ladder, but definitely not as bad as what they produced last week. They'll sit somewhere in between.
Speaker 1: Enjoy your magic ground foot, and we'll see you next week and the election.