Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, well, you're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Doctyesmina, an incredible integrative GP, and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health.
Speaker 2: Visit v three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more.
Speaker 1: The way my CrossFit classes work is when you go in every day, you do the warm up, you do the mobility, you do your strength component, and then we have the WAD. And the WAD is this thing called the workout of the day, and it's a bit of a kinder surprise. You don't know what you're going to get. Some days the WAD is as short as six minutes, some days it's as long as thirty minutes. Some days it's very cardio focused with lots of box jumps and sprints and running. Other days it's very strength focused.
Speaker 2: With big barbells.
Speaker 1: But as part of the wad up on the board where the workout is written, you have the RX weights and so these are RX for men, RX for women. So for example, yesterday it was a fifteen kilo dumbbell for the overhead snatches. It was a twenty five kilo bar bell for women. And so this year I set myself a little goal that I am going to RX every workout because often what a lot of us do is we'll look at the you know, twenty five kilo barbell, we'll go we're not going to do that. We drop it down to eighteen or whatever. But no, this year my goal was to RX every workout.
Speaker 2: So where are we a couple.
Speaker 1: Of months into the year, and I have to say, Sam bagged it. For the last few workouts I've gone in, I've been so tired.
Speaker 2: I've looked at the way I've.
Speaker 1: Gone No I'm not doing that, and I've just capitulated and do what my coach calls the sandbag workout. So it's kind of frustrating for me because I really want to do this.
Speaker 2: I know I can do it.
Speaker 1: It's hard, but I know I can do it, and so it's just got me thinking lately, how do we get more motivated to do the hard things. This is Healthy Her with Amelia Phillips. If you're listening to this podcast, chances.
Speaker 2: Are you are already a very.
Speaker 1: Health conscious, motivated person, and I bet you are doing amazing things for your health, and I congratulate you. I mean, you should be so proud of the healthy habits that you do have, Like good for you. I feel like we don't celebrate how far we've come enough.
Speaker 2: But if you're.
Speaker 1: Anything like me, you still want more. You want to do more, you want to learn more, you want to keep improving, striving, setting your body and mind up for many more decades of health, adventure, happiness. Well, in order to do this, especially when we're already pretty fit, we need to do hard things to not just show up at the gym consistently and look, if we're doing that, we're already doing so so well. But we need to push ourselves outside our comfort zone on a regular basis. We might need to say no to foods or drinks that we love not all the time, but a lot of the time. We might have to take a harder road of meal prep when uber eats is just a couple of taps away. Doing hard things requires us to be proactive and to be intrinsically motivated. But how do we ignite this intrinsic motivation? How do we ignite it inside us?
Speaker 2: You know that inner.
Speaker 1: Voice that says, come on meals, You've got this workout, you can r rex this today, you can do it. You want this, when often we are overworked, overwhelmed, and frankly it would rather be curled up on the couch. What is the secret to feeling more motivated to do the hard things well? To help answer this question, I have called on one incredible woman who has tackled many a hard thing in her life, many a hard challenge. Lane Beachley is a seven time World surfing champion, the only surfer male or female to win six consecutive world titles like think about that six in a row, and a woman whose impact reaches far beyond the surf. Her journey from an adopted baby to a global icon certainly hasn't been a smooth ride for her. It's been forged through grit, through guts, and through a deep commitment to personal growth. Lane's lived experience with mental health challengers, with injury, with person and all loss has really become the heartbeat of her message. And I love this message. Take a listen to her message, Choice, not chance, determines our destiny today. Lane is a sought after speaker. She is a fearless advocate for mental wellbeing, for gender equality and environmental action. And she's a proud ambassador for organizations like the Black Dog Institute, Gotcha for.
Speaker 2: Life, and WWF Australia.
Speaker 1: Lane is also the founder of Awake Academy and I really recommend you check them out. They're amazing Awake Academy. They're on a mission to help a million people thrive and live happier, more purposeful lives through their online programs, workshops and also then new book co written with Tess Brauer Awake Academy, Know Yourself, Grow Yourself. Lane, thank you so much for joining us on Healthy Heir.
Speaker 3: You're welcome, Amelia that CrossFit workout sounds horrendous.
Speaker 2: I know it is.
Speaker 1: I just drag my I don't let myself because you can actually see the workout on the app before, like they posted the night before, and I never look because if I looked at what the workout was, I wouldn't show up.
Speaker 3: Fair enough.
Speaker 2: I know, but look today.
Speaker 1: I really want to get your perspective on how to feel more motivated to do hard things. So I'd love to rewind the clock and to take you back to your competitive surfing days. I'd love for you to paint a picture of those days and the hard things that you had to do, whether it be in training in comms to enable you to dominate like you did well.
Speaker 3: Hard things are different for every one of us, so thinking about your audience, for example, the hard things today might actually just be finding the time to prioritize self care, or making the time to go to the gym, or feeling the tension between leaving your child or your toddler and then taking care of yourself. There's a lot of hard things going on our lives. When I reflect on my professional surfing career, I feel that the hard things were really hard, like getting up at five o'clock in the morning, in the pouring rain, in the middle of winter, with a cold, and going to training. But the intrinsic motivation is what inspired me to get up and do that day in and day out. Unfortunately, that intrinsic motivation also overrode the fact that I was sick and I needed to pause and I needed to rest. So it was even a hard thing to give myself permission to stop and recover. I didn't understand the importance of recovery. I didn't understand the importance of nutrition. I didn't understand the importance of proper hydration. I was just to go get a machine, and that cost me the quality of my health and well being, which then resulted in chronic fatigue, not once, but twice.
Speaker 1: Ah, that's so interesting, so interestingly for you, because you were so determined back then that the hard thing for you actually was more around slowing down and thinking about you know, those challenging things like what was it that made you say, yes, I want to get in that cold, shark infested water, or I want to tackle that way that could snap me in half. Like when you were feeling those fears around doing what was driving you to keep going well.
Speaker 3: At the time, the intrinsic driver was I wanted to win. There wasn't much of an extrinsic goal, like I wasn't going for the fame of the fortune. Well there was no fortune, and it was women's surfing. But I wasn't going for the trophies and the fame and all of those things. I was going for the desire to be the best, the desire to stand on the podium and feel the euphoria a victory. When I achieved my ultimate goal of becoming a six times consecutive world champion. When I reflected on that intrinsic motivation, the drive actually wasn't to win. The drive was essentially worthiness. I had decided at a very young age that when my dad told me I was adopted as an eight year old, I instantly felt unworthy. I felt unworthy of love, I felt unworthy of attention, and I decided that the only way I was going to prove to myself and the world that I was deserving of love and affection and attention is to become the best in the world at something. Unfortunately, when I did become the best in the world at something, I still didn't believe I was enough yet, So it wasn't until I won my six One one of my friends said, what's driving you? Do you think it's because you're adopted? I thought that really hurts, But there's a lot of truth in that, because yes, I still feel undeserving of love. And I had placed this limitation and this expectation that the only way I was going to be worthy of love is if I become the best in the world at something. But I had to become the best of the best, not just the best.
Speaker 2: And when does that end?
Speaker 1: You know, it's a self fulfilling prophecy where every single time you know you're never going to get to the top of the mountain.
Speaker 2: So what changed for you?
Speaker 1: At what point did you realize that, Okay, this is not serving me?
Speaker 2: What's driving me now?
Speaker 1: And you obviously just retire and disappear onto the couch. You've continued to strive outside of retirement. Can you explain that period, that shift when you decided that being the best of the best wasn't what needs to be motivating you. But there's got to be something else.
Speaker 3: Yes, So the big shift came when my body broke down. I ended up with a severe neck injury that I actually endured way back in two thousand and one, but chose to ignore all the symptoms and the signs and just continued to push through. Basically, I'm so mentally strong that when my body breaks down, I just see that as another obstacle I have to overcome. I don't honor it, I don't connect with it. I just continue to push through it. And that resulted in a neck injury that was so severe at seven eighty percent of my spinal cord, and I was given two options. I was given the option to retire. I was given the option to get surgery, and neither of those appealed to me. So I went and sought out a council from a third specialist, and he said, you're unfit and strong, allow your body to heal itself. And I my first question was how long will that take? Yeah, and he said as long as it takes. So learning to surrender to an unknown and an unseen force, but a strongly felt one, is the biggest lesson for me. I learned to surrender every time I go into the ocean. It's where I truly feel that sense of freedom and acceptance and surrender, but I couldn't apply it to my life because I was just on this ferocious, go get them goal oriented momentum that was driving me and my life and my body and everyone in it into the ground. And after I took six months out of the water and had to go through this soul healing, this deep it was an intense period for me where I had to really connect with my soul and my heart and ask myself why am I so driven through fear and connecting with all of those things and just accepting that part of myself and then giving myself forgiveness and then permission to do things differently. I was able to come back with a completely renewed attitude. I instead of being ferocious, I was tagged as having the compassion of a tiger shark when I was a competitor in that final couple of years of my professional surfing career. I came back to win my seventh world title with a renewed sense of freedom and joy and ease and grace and gratitude. Now that's not saying it wasn't hard, because it was. But it didn't define me and it didn't dictate the terms of my life to me anymore. I was back in charge, I had the helm, and I enjoyed it a lot more so. After I won my seventh Wold title, I then decided I wanted to retire, so I took I had a couple more years on tour, and then I retired, and then I felt that sense of loss that we all do if we step away from something we've done our whole lives. And then that was a whole nother layer of transition, and that was really hard making the decision to retire, and retiring wasn't that hard because I literally had to ask myself, am I prepared to do the work out of the water to generate the results I expected myself in it? And the answer was no, I'm distracted by life outside of surfing. Now I've been doing this competitive surfing thing for nineteen years. It's time to find out what life has in store for me.
Speaker 1: After that, with the period just before you went back in and you won that seventh consecutive, that seventh title, what were some of the strategies and the techniques you used to find that self compassion and to work through some of those issues around fear.
Speaker 2: Was it therapy? Was it just self reflection, all of it.
Speaker 3: There was a variety of different things. Yes, I relied on external therapies and external support and everything you can possibly imagine too, from magnetic therapy, hyperbaric chambers, chiropractice, massage therapists, acupuncturist, sonic key like explore.
Speaker 1: Just went on this kind of like self discovery journey, which I love.
Speaker 3: That was the external stuff. The internal stuff was justice powerful. The first It meant sitting still and sitting in discomfort and sitting in pain and just allowing myself to be in that and honor the time that it took for me to process it. So there was a lot of self reflection. There was a lot of journaling. There was a lot of meditation, yoga, breath work, a lot of forgiveness, soul searching. It was the full gamut, you know. And I didn't have an outcome or like a deadline to reach, you know. It was just a matter of just sitting in it for as long as I had to sit in it. I did biosinc therapy, which was really really powerful.
Speaker 2: What's biosinc therapy.
Speaker 3: It's working with a therapist who truly understands the body but also the emotional connection because our bodies harbor emotions and that stores it in the body. The body keeps the score, and our bodies distract us through physical pain to prevent us from dealing with the emotional trauma that stored in the body. So it essentially the practitioner basically guess his elbow and just runs up meridians and fine blocked channels and opens them back up. And one you're opening up physical pain, you're liberating emotional pain. So I explored that for a long time to help me process a lot of the physical trauma that I had stored in my body, which essentially was emotional trauma. I also did a lot of and I still do a lot of rebirthing, so breath work connecting with the breath. It's a cyclical process that's a kind of like a controlled hype of ventilation that liberates emotions that are stuck in my body that I'm not okay with, that I don't want to talk about, I don't want to process, I don't want to understand. I just want to get them out. So there's all the sorts of these modalities that I still tap into this day to help me free myself of trauma and pain and suffering because suffering literally is a choice.
Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, we're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Dottesmina, an incredible integrative GP and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients?
Speaker 2: Because when you.
Speaker 1: Understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit v three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more. That's what I love about your message, This concept you know of it being a choice. You know this idea of you know, choice, not chance, determines our destiny, and that can be really liberating, Like you say, especially for people that have experienced a lot of trauma bit big tea little tea trauma in their life. I really love how empowering that is. Tell me when you shifted out after you retired, what was the transition like and what were some of their skills that you were able to transfer out of your competitive surfing athletic world that serves you and still serves you today in your career and in your.
Speaker 2: Life, your full you know, three sixty life.
Speaker 1: Love to know some of those kind of winning formulas that you are able to still harness.
Speaker 3: The winning formula for me is a three part model, so essentially it's it's a living of values based life and understanding what my values are then help me articulate my vision. I believe majority of us put a vision or you know, a stake in the sand, and sometimes that vision and is somebody else's vision for our life, not our own. So if we want to achieve our vision for us, we need to understand what we value. Because our values govern our behaviors and they help us set standards for ourselves so we're not dictated to by external circumstances. We can govern our own lives just about through our values. Then when our values have motivated our vision. We then need to build a dream team of people around us.
Speaker 2: All yes, yes, so I may.
Speaker 3: Have been an individual athlete, but I always had a team around me, whether it was my shaper, my surf coach, my nutritionists, my therapists, my boyfriend, like, there was always a dream team around me that held me accountable, that were honest with me. They were supportive, they were encouraging. They believed in me. Sometimes they believed in me more than I believed in myself. And so I listened to your story at the start, about you know, wanting to RX your workout, and I think about today when I go training, I know I don't have the motivation to show up every day or every second day, even on my own. I need a personal trainer to hold me accountable. I also need a personal trainer to hold me accountable when I do get into my head and I start getting tired, and I start thinking this is too hard and I just don't need to push myself, And he gets me out of my head and says, push, come on, let's go fortifying your dream team, knowing who it is that you have around you, how they can bring the best out in you how you can support them to do what they do. So it's not.
Speaker 2: That's really powerful what you just said.
Speaker 1: Then actually how you can support them to bring the best out in you, which is actually because let's face it, in the real world, we're not paying our dream team.
Speaker 2: You know, our dream team.
Speaker 1: Is probably you know, our partner or a colleague or a friend. And so I love this reciprocity of like, well, also, you know, I'm not just sucking the life out of them for me. But for example, I just had a little brain unlocked when you were saying that. In my example about the RX, I haven't told my coach that that was my goal.
Speaker 2: I did not say to him.
Speaker 1: Because I was too scared because if I said to my coach, hey, coach, my goal for the first three months of the year is to RX every workout, he would support me and he would be saying meals, remember what we said, and I'd be.
Speaker 2: Like, no, no, I.
Speaker 1: Haven't given him what he needs to support me because I haven't shared.
Speaker 2: I haven't shared with the dream team. I love that. I love that so much.
Speaker 1: You know what a great what a great thing for our listeners to think, who's your dream team? You think about the life you want to live right now, who is your dream team? And are there gaps Like I think I need some therapy. I used to did therapy years ago, but I haven't sort of gone down that path. I feel like there's a gap for me and a lot of learning to happen there.
Speaker 3: Well, that's a great awareness piece, and we talk a lot about in our book around fortifying your dream team, and especially if you've undergone significant change or challenge or overcome or come back from something, we don't tend to understand how it's impacted our dream team. We know how it's impacted us, but what's the impact on them? And then how can we navigate that together so someone's not left in the dark, suffering and questioning what they could have done better or did they do enough? Because especially if you've got a partner, for example, with a health complication, like my husband had prostate cancer, and as the partner that sat on the sidelines cheering him on and wanting him to get well, I felt so helpless and hopeless in that situation. So we've got to have that reciprocity, We've got to have that understanding that what's happening to me as part of my dream team is happening to you too, and we need to understand how we can continue to evolve and build that relationship and connect with each other so no one's left behind. And then to your point, when you have that little unlocked, like, ah, I need to consider asking my coach to support me in this, because that's when you do put that goal or that stake in the sand, say I want to do this. Now you're held accountable. So the third part of the puzzle is to actually take action, and the action is perhaps having that conversation. All the action might be for emails is to say, you know what, I think I'm being unrealistic with my expectations on myself. Perhaps I just need to r X one a week. Yeah, as opposed to everyone so being realistic. So as I'm getting older, I'm starting to understand self compassion leads to self control, which leads to autonomy and sovereignty.
Speaker 2: Say that again, self compassion leads to lead.
Speaker 3: Which leads to then autonomy and sovereignty. We have agency over the way.
Speaker 1: We Sovereignty is like agency, like we're in charge of our own destiny.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I absolutely love that and.
Speaker 1: I find it really refreshing to hear you saying things like, you know, I know that if I didn't have a personal trainer, then I, you know, wouldn't turn up or show up or do it. And I mean coming from someone with your athletic past, for us me mortals to hear you say that makes usselves go, oh, my goodness, she's human.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you.
Speaker 3: I'm definitely human. I've been in menopause for a I don't know, around about eight to ten years, and I thought that was my lot. I thought putting on waight, feeling weak, losing muscle mass. I just thought that was part of the process. And I had to just icknowledge or just accept that that was my lot. And then I started listening to Stacy Simms, and I connected with her personally and I had the chance to interview her, and I started seeking her counsel and advice. And I'm thinking, you know what, I need to do things differently now. My intrinsic motivation in my early fifties is to feel strong in my body and to feel vital, to have vitality, to have energy. That's the intrinsic motivator for me. So it's not about looking good in a bikini. Although I do pride myself and looking bikini, that's not the motivation. The motivation is to feel good in my body and to have strength and vitality to do the things that I love to do, to surf, to cycle, to ride, to jim to bush warm to snowboarne things.
Speaker 1: This is the challenge and this is what I feel really conflicted with. And this is why I'd love to get your perspective, because, you know, for those of us that don't come from an elite athlete background, and you know, for those of us that are in that midlife season, you know, do you think it's important that we keep striving and growing and you know, keep kind of challenging ourselves or is this the time to slow down and rest up?
Speaker 2: And I really do.
Speaker 1: Feel conflicted, Like sometimes I'm like, oh, just give yourself a bloody break, go on the couch, ye have a bottle of wine.
Speaker 2: And then other times I'm like, no, you know, I've got four kids.
Speaker 1: I want to be one of those grandparents that takes them on a ski holiday. How do you strike that balance? And I'd love your perspective on this midlife conundrum that we find ourselves in consistency.
Speaker 3: That's how you find the balance. It's consistency and compassion. So in the days where you're like I just want to sit on the couch and eat the chocolate, sit on the couch and eat the chocolate. But don't do it every day, because doing it every day creates a new consistent pattern. But doing it once in a while just says to you, I'm worthy of this. I'm also worthy of making the time in the space for myself to go to the gym to do the hard things. We need to be consistent, but we also need to be compassionate. And I must admit consistency has been my strong point. Compassion has been my weakest point. And I'm learning to apply compassion to my consistency. So, for example, I walked the runway. I closed Lisa Baron's fashion show.
Speaker 1: Oh I saw this on the Instagram. I'm going to put a link in the show.
Speaker 2: Notes.
Speaker 1: Guys, you have to see Lane on the catwalk dressed up. Tell us about that experience, talk about outside the concert zone, talk.
Speaker 3: About stepping outside of my comfort zone. Lisa Baron asked me to close her show. It's called fuck the Invisible, So Essentially, what we're saying is as women get older fifty, sixty, seventy, it's like we become invisible to the fashion world. We no longer maintain our relevance in that space. So Lisa likes to buck that notion and say, you know what, you can dress however you want, you rocket however you want, because you are worthy. And she designed this dress for me that was completely see.
Speaker 2: Through hot seriously, wow, one.
Speaker 3: Hundred percent through. And so she sewed in these little boob caps right in the right spot. Unfortunately she knows my size, and then she made these little black shortsh So I had I did have a goal to work towards. I wanted to feel as great as I could possibly feel in that environment, because look, I'm not a supermodel, and I'm certainly not ever going to consider myself to be one, nor am I going to profess that I am one. So what I loved about that experience is it gave me permission to just be me. I gave me permission to just be met. So I walked down that runway in this sea through dress, in somebody's heels that I borrowed and throwing shuckers, high fiving people blowing kisses. Hey, I don't know what I'm doing here. Of that, I'm having fun with this.
Speaker 1: Oh, and that energy would have been so infectious as compared to say, freaking out, stiff as a board, shuffling down, trying to do your best cat walk, you know, being someone else's catwalk model.
Speaker 2: So you were yourself, yeah.
Speaker 3: Well most of the models. I was myself. Most of the models, you know, had that serious face. I'm like, hey, this is so much classic. Everyone's excited for me. Someone came up to me afterwards and gave me the greatest compliment. They said, I have never seen anyone bring so much joy to the run ways. I thought, yes, I've done that. So when we come back to the concept around consistency and compassion, I was consistent with my approach to my health in the lead up to that. I didn't train harder, but I was more consistent with my alcohol intake, my sugar intake, and my protein intake. So I reduced sugar and alcohol and I increase protein. Now in the week before it, it was my best friend and business partner's fortieth birthday, and I enjoyed the alcohol. I enjoyed the margaritas, I enjoyed the sugar, So for three days I let myself go, but then for the week leading into it was disciplined. Again. I was consistent with my diet. So if we give ourselves too much of a hard time, we lose the compassion for ourselves, and then we lose the joy in life because all of it makes up who we are, and we just need to embrace the days that we just don't feel like it now. If you're looking for excuses, that's another issue in itself.
Speaker 1: It can be a slippery slope and be a bit of a trap if yeah, if you're searching for those excuses.
Speaker 3: And look, there's times when I've called my I train with a guy called Shannon Ponton, who you may remember from The Biggest Yeah.
Speaker 2: Michelle Bridges used to be my business partner.
Speaker 1: So yeah, twelve WV so yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: So ire in Shannon. You know, I text him the night before just to confirm we're training, And I texted him a couple of weeks ago and said, look, I'm exhausted. I'm supposed to be in a moonboot. My body's worn out. I've had a massive week. I just don't feel like I can train tomorrow, and he said, let's just scale it back, you know, let's just meet you where you are. So when you've got a trainer that's willing to hear you but still hold you accountable, they're great people to work without.
Speaker 1: I think that is such an amazing trait of a trainer to be able to gauge where someone's at and even at the start of the session they might like, turn up going I'm just not feeling it. But then ten fifteen minutes in the lights come on and the trainer can.
Speaker 2: Hopefully go, all right, well, let's just do a little fast finish or not or not.
Speaker 1: Let's get the gun out and I'll give you a little ten minute massage because that's what your body needs today.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Ah, yeah, he gave me a massage. He did a whole lot of boxing because I love that and it's fun. And then we were still able to get through my regular program.
Speaker 1: And how did you feel afterwards compared to if you he'd said, no, yeah, fair enough, mate, just you know, don't come.
Speaker 3: I felt fantastic. I felt energized, I felt grateful, I felt supported, I felt strong, But then I also had to make sure that I went home and nourished my body and hydrated my body. And you know, put Vincent I did a little bit of time in the sauna as well.
Speaker 1: And there's circling back to that dream team analogy, like there's a beautiful example of your dream team catching you in a moment today just speaking to you. I think a trap I fall into is I've got to bear everything myself and I've got to take it all. And I think a big lesson for me, like having to do the hard things. It's not just about reaching down in me, but it's actually setting up my life around me, my dream team.
Speaker 2: You know, the time to do things. The recovery.
Speaker 1: There's no point pushing yourself if you haven't given yourself ample.
Speaker 2: Recovery as well.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you about another saying that I've heard you say, a mantra that you have, which is know yourself, grow yourself. I love it, by the way, but can you expand on what you mean by that?
Speaker 3: Well, just interestingly, you're talking about the expectation of the pressure you put on yourself to be able to do it all on your own. That's an extension of a childhood imprint. And yesterday on our podcast, we have our own podcast called a wake Up Call, and we interviewed a wonderful lady called Layolstone. Have you heard of Leiostone? No? I haven't, Okay, So she helps us uncover our childhood imprints and so we can free ourselves as the rules that we live our lives by that essentially aren't our own. They're essentially products of our childhood, which were products of your parents' childhood was the products of their childhood. So know yourself and grow yourself is essentially the more we know ourselves, the more we can grow ourselves. And growth is the only sign of life. So if we want to keep living our lives, we do need to keep being a little bit more introspective or reflective on what's going on. Otherwise we become triggers to the aspects of life, and then we become What I'm really talking about is it's the decisions that we make, not the conditions of our life, that determines the quality of our lives. And unfortunately, if we don't know ourselves well enough, we're constantly agitated or triggered by conditions.
Speaker 2: Conditions we're kind of reacting.
Speaker 3: We're reacting constantly in this reactionary mode and become we become victims, or we become bullies, or we become the worst version of ourselves, and we're consistently pushing and just you know, it's all too hard. So the more you get to know yourself, the more you get to love yourself, and the more you love yourself, the more you grow. That's where we're really coming from, and that's what the book is all about, is helping you identify who you are, then you can create who you want to be from there.
Speaker 1: I love your book. I love the cover. I love how bright and uplifting it is. It just kind of leapt off the shelf at me. It just it looks brilliant. So highly recommend it to my beautiful listeners. And Lane, look, I could talk to you all day, but I just want to wrap up with a final question.
Speaker 2: Today's episode is really.
Speaker 1: About finding that motivation to do the hard thing. So for a woman listening to this who really does want to feel more motivated, wants to feel inspired to do the hard stuff, what is one parting message that you have for her, maybe even something she could go and do or consider as her best next step.
Speaker 3: Start small. I think a lot of us have a list to do list of all the things that we want to do that are really hard, and then just looking at that list is overwhelming. So start with like, wipe the list clean and just write one thing so we we inspire and motivate people just to wipe that slate clean and just pick the one hard thing that they know is going to transform their relationship with themselves. So it can be for example, finding a personal trainer and sharing with them what you want to achieve. It can be as simple as I'm going to get up ten minutes earlier to meditate each and every day, or I'm going to ensure that I drink enough water every day.
Speaker 1: But even to your point about the meditation, even if it's I'm going to wake up one morning a week for ten minutes to meditate, doesn't have to be every day, but may I can do one day where I can't do every day, but I could do one morning a week extra ten minutes early.
Speaker 3: And that will make a signific can impact. The biggest lesson that I've learned from asking people to do something or actually even myself doing something differently is to then connect with how it makes you feel. Because it's the feeling that will inspire you to do it again. If the feeling is positive and empowering, uplifting, then that will inspire you to it again. So I think actually the easiest thing that we can all do is take a five minute sunshine break at least once a day.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, and the sunrises have been so magnificent and the sunsets just lately here in Sydney.
Speaker 2: That is not a hard thing to do.
Speaker 1: It's as yesterday morning at the coffee cart in Avalon. Honestly, it was like it was like something out of otherworldly the sunrise was or everyone standing there, someone had tears in their eyes.
Speaker 2: It was really.
Speaker 3: So sunrise, sunset, or at least get away from the from the desk and that you lunch outside. But just get at least one five minute sunshine break every day, because that will really rejuvenate yourself.
Speaker 1: Lamee Beachley, you have over delivered exact as you are. I have just had so many unlocks in today's conversation.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for your time, pleasure Remelio, thank you.
Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health if you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, We're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three point sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with doctor Asmina, an incredible integrative GP and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit v three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more