Speaker 1: We'd like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land on which this podcast was produced, the Galligall people of the Urination. We pay our respects to Elder's past and present.
Speaker 2: Dear Diary, Today was quite rough and tough. The junes here are massive. The sea is not too bad that the wind's blowing the wrong direction.
Speaker 3: I'm over that.
Speaker 2: Think he's done in moderation.
Speaker 4: Everything's plenty of.
Speaker 2: One thing or the other. I've got a broken toe, chafed to the left arm and right nipple, and he's sure to stone the stink.
Speaker 3: It's two thousand and seven Women, Mozambique and Bow Miles is setting off on an epic.
Speaker 5: Journey around the coast of Africa.
Speaker 3: He's always been an adventurer, but this is his most audacious trip yet. His plan is to travel the next four thousand kilometers purely under his own steam in his small, one man kayak. For the next five months here faced huge swells, treacherous weather, and for six weeks of the trip he'd be entirely alone. He'll make it just over halfway before he decides to call it quids. But this half journey isn't the end more a beginning for a lifetime of adventures that will see Bow run six hundred and fifty kilometers through the Australian Alps, cross the bas Strait by kayak, run an hour a mile marathon, spend forty days eating only canned beans, and walk his daily ninety kilometer commute. I'm at Middleton and this is Headgame today, what it takes to live a life of adventure and how you can find it even in your own backyard. I'm extremely happy to say that I've got Bow miles in for my head Game podcast. You're an adventurer explorer. And when I say that to my son, because I'm the same, I say, oh Dad, what do you do? I said, I'm an adventurer and an explorer, and he says that that's not a.
Speaker 4: Real job, right.
Speaker 3: It's interesting that when I'm speaking to you, who is an adventurer and an explorer. Now take me back to what first ignited that sense of adventure in you bo?
Speaker 5: Where did that come from?
Speaker 6: I was my mum was pretty good at trying to keep me off the sporting field, so which are half worked and half didn't. But that involved things like golf lessons and books and things that weren't going to bang my head or injure my knees or legs or whatever.
Speaker 3: So your mom was keen to sort of wrap me up in a bit of cotton wool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, kind of.
Speaker 6: Well, she's a country kid, right, but she's also she was an emergency nurse, and so she just saw all the worst of humanity, I suppose when that comes across there in the et department.
Speaker 4: So which kind of worked.
Speaker 6: I didn't play much football as a kid, which I I think is great now I've got great knees and great ankles and whatever.
Speaker 4: But through the books that she bought me.
Speaker 6: I think from about I was never a reader until about fifteen, and then it sparked, and then I couldn't put a book down for five.
Speaker 4: Or I don't know, well forever.
Speaker 6: Really, I don't read as much now as I did as a kid, But as a kid I read lots of adventure stories the everest thing bit, you know, and I just thought, Wow, I want to go and have some grand adventures and go and see the world.
Speaker 3: So that's what really sparked your interests were books and then adventure through literacy, and yeah, did you read them and think I could do this, Yeah, exactly. Did it spark a journey for you to go out there and see what's about?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I can remember myself as a kid reading Roll Dahl and Danny. I think it was Danny the Champion of the World would go and he'd go and poach pheasants in some aristocracy, you know, in the behind the garden walls, you know. And I remember as a kid my heart rate rating thinking that is fun.
Speaker 4: That is cool.
Speaker 6: And I started to do little, smaller versions of that as a fifteen sixteen year old because I was a pretty meat kid. I wasn't overly adventurous, but yeah, that's where it started, and I can kind of trace it back to that, but it's taken me a lot of years to kind of redevelop my own form of it too, because I know you've been up Everest AWNT. But I went there as a nineteen year old, hiking around the place and doing some small little peaks, and it scared the heck out of me seeing those high mountains.
Speaker 4: I thought, Wow, this is scary.
Speaker 6: So I needed to go away and find my own form before I potentially go back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can imagine at nineteen Everest being scary because my first mounts in the iclone when I was seventeen was Snowden in the UK, and that was scary to me. So let alone seeing Everest at the age of nineteen. What was your first real adventure as a kid.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that it was the bursting the bubble. You know.
Speaker 6: So your circle of influence or your circle of where you're willing to go, gets bigger the older you get. Maybe it starts at the age of eight or ten. Hell, it starts at the age of too, right, you just know. It goes from twenty meters to fifty to one hundred to kilometer or whatever. And I remember at my dad was militant. He would never take me places if he didn't think it was worthwhile taking me there, and he'd be the only person that would know what's worthwhile or not. But he said, I can't go to a mate's place. You want to go there, go yourself.
Speaker 4: So I'm fourteen, maybe fifteen.
Speaker 6: I got a clapped out old bike and it's about thirty five ks to this friend's house over you know, several villages away, over mountains and through a bit of bush and some of it's dirt road and I thought, you know what, and I was scared the heck of doing it because I'd never done that. If I have a puncture, you know, what do I do? But I rode to this mate's place and feeling that, you know, I've gone beyond my boundary. This is full on and it's fantastic, and I'm using my body to do it. And so I recognized pretty early that, you know, the body is a really.
Speaker 4: Cool tool to just go places. And I've done it ever since.
Speaker 5: Yeah, your body's of the primary motor transport.
Speaker 3: You know. It's so easy nowadays to jump on a train, jump on a plane, jump in a car, where ultimately the adventure is with oneself. Right, is actually you know, moving yourself and getting into these locations yourself.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolutely, And I look, hindsight's fantastic, and you have the sort of you know, you can articulate it as an adult that these are where these things were born. And I didn't recognize it then to some extent that it was just a young kid growing up. And I genuinely don't think I was a man until about twenty five, twenty six, so I still had sort of ten years of sort of boyhood, young adulthood still.
Speaker 4: In front of me.
Speaker 6: Where I was, I had no ambition, and now my outdoor stuff has turned into ambition and it has lots more layers to it. It was far more simplistic then, probably more pure, but of course it was a bit.
Speaker 4: Aimless as well. I was just doing it because it felt right.
Speaker 3: And what was the first adventure that you went on that gave you that sense of ambition that they gave you that sense of wow, Actually this is what it's all about.
Speaker 4: Well, I set off for Everest, you know.
Speaker 6: I read all the Everest literature and mountaineering literature from sort of the ages of sixteen through to eighteen, totally inspired by in some respects the tragedy of ninety six on Everest when all those people died this huge monumental May climbing season. So that I mean that in that tragedy inspired such interest, and so I went to Everest and that was that was one thing or another. But when I was truly I was never really at risk. There there's lots of villages around, there's other trekkers, hikers, other climbers, and I'm still just a young bloke. I'm not really being edgy yet My first edgy experience was solo sea kayaking off the Great Australian Byte, going out to see some islands off Sojuna, And that was where it was Rotto, okay, but you are you are accountable, you are everything, and you know you're going to have a good day or a bad day based on your decisions here. And that was I think I was twenty two or twenty so it was, like I say, emerging into that sort of I was no longer a boy. I was becoming an adult because I was making accountable decisions.
Speaker 3: And what sparked that decision to have that segue? You know it could because it's quite a segue to go, right, I'm going to hike around the Himalayas to then you know, jumping in a kayak and then putting yourself in that situation.
Speaker 4: I was by default. Really I really wanted.
Speaker 6: I wanted to do it, but it was supposed to be a friend's trip, me and a couple of mates. You know, we finished Uni, we graduate and let's go on a big sea kike trip for a couple of months around some islands.
Speaker 4: And they all pulled out. They got girlfriends. I did not.
Speaker 6: I was never much much good with girlfriends, and so off I went by myself, and so by default I was by myself, and I suspected I liked my own company, but it really hammered home then that Yep, I loved my own company. And so that was and sea kayaking is fantastic for that, that autonomy, your own speed, you know, you sort of go where the wind blows, literally, and so it was just great. I loved it and made enough mistakes to realize that I really liked improving, and made enough good calls to know that there was some really amazing moments in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's a there's adventure, and then there's you know, versatility in adventure, you know, hiking, kayaking, you know, going off by yourself. This segue thereafter again with this epic journey around the coast of Africa. What made you decide to do that? And where did that idea come from?
Speaker 6: I was still very much I had my head in the sand, really, and my early filmmaking stuff was pretty crap, and to be honest, it was very I was trying to look for heroic moments. So I was trying to look for something that was long winded enough to get respect just by sheer fact of doing it. You know, it didn't have it didn't have as much humility every day, no, nor creativity, you know. I think adventures need all those things. But Africa came about because of the relative success of me going six weeks alone across these islands in Australia.
Speaker 4: So I was in esperance.
Speaker 6: I was drunk in the pub and I thought, you know what, I'm going to up the ante here. And I came back home and this is Google it only really Google didn't really exist. But I did some research into people paddling in Africa, or South Africa, or around the sort of southern half of Africa, so you know, south of the equator, and very few big expeditions had been done there.
Speaker 4: Especially not alone. So I trained up for it and planned, and that all went out the windows. I hit Africa.
Speaker 6: But four years from when I did the Australian trip to when I did the African trip, and away I went, and yeah, I changed my life absolutely, that big expedition.
Speaker 4: Learned a lot about a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's great, mate, because there's always a purpose and always a cause. And as much as the adventure was on your side, there's also filmmaking you love, you loved documenting and your adventures along the way. Was that another passion of yours? Did they sort of merge together or did one sort of lead the other?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're kind of.
Speaker 6: I kind of used it to justify going away and instead of earning proper money doing all sorts of other things, I thought, how do I go and have an adventure but it maybe earn some money out of it, or maybe make a job of it. And so I was interested enough in you know, there's not many folks around that don't love a good story being told via a screen medium, whether it's cinema or TV or you know, a game show. There can be just great versions of it. So humans love it, and so I thought, how do I? And it's challenging too, you know, it's making films is freaking hard work. So I took that challenge on board. But I was not a natural sea person. I wasn't a natural filmmaker.
Speaker 4: So let's just see how they go. I knew I had to work at both of them. But I do love making.
Speaker 6: I love shot making, and yet I'm not a I think I'm a natural shot maker, but I'm not a natural technician in films. I've got partners now in Michigan, Guy I make films with. He's a much better shot maker than me because I'm so busy about bloody doing things. But I can recognize a good shot and I loved that from the get go.
Speaker 5: And you've got a PhD? Is that correct?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: It's good for a doorstop, and I've got I've got a whole box of them. I worked at a university, and your currency at the university is to get a PhD.
Speaker 4: So that was kind of part and parcel of it.
Speaker 6: And it's about expeditionary life and about the benefits of that in an educational setting.
Speaker 4: So that's kind of what I wrote about.
Speaker 6: There's a lot of schools and programs out there that take young folks out there and.
Speaker 4: This sort of support of that.
Speaker 3: And talk us through what you documented for your PhD. It was the four hundred k kayak journey across the bas streets. Now, coh, that's that's some adventure.
Speaker 6: Well it seems like it, but it's a bit of a pussy cat really. It can get very yeah, I mean yeah, mate, you're yeah. The stuff you've done is well compared to that in some respects it was pretty tame in a sense that Bastra can get very angry very quickly. But otherwise it's very it's very paddleable and comes down very quickly.
Speaker 4: It's very shallow. So with our forecasting these days.
Speaker 6: And a smartphone in you in your hatch, you're fine. You just got to go on a good day and be willing to you know, if you if you cap out right, I'm willing to paddle in eiden knots, then you just you don't go out in anything other over eighty knots and that's it. You just that's that's your day. So you kind of try to draw a line in the sand and life becomes pretty easy as an expeditionary seat with good comms, you know.
Speaker 4: So you do that twenty five years ago.
Speaker 6: When you're relying on a barometer and looking to the sky a bit more and you're going to get into some more Gnali situations. But these days, with thephisticated stuff we have in our pocket, that's remarkably easy.
Speaker 5: What did you learn from that expedition?
Speaker 6: I learned lots in a sense that that's where the sort of the do things a bit differently bug might have bitten, you know, I thought these are you know, take Africa for example, that was a It was a six month expedition on single on dirt, poor. I'm having a grand, existential, amazing experience as a young bloke. But I come back and I've got twenty hours where the footage I end up making a fifty minute film takes three years to make the film. There's an awful lot of one experience that goes into just one idea in one story whilst out on you know, crossing bas straight. Ten years later, I wanted to make I want more bang for buck for my adventure. Nowadays, that doesn't need to be as long. It doesn't need to be as I don't need to be at the breadline of life and death. I can come back a notch and I kind of I want to be homeful. And I'm in relationships now too, you know. So I'm a married man with kids.
Speaker 4: I can't bugger off for six months.
Speaker 6: So I need to try and package my adventurous world into a long weekend or overnight or twenty four hours or a week, you know, rather than go on these big ones. So what's the difference between Everest and crossing the Spacific and coming back and doing your own boyhood river and sitting up a tree for a day. You know, you can you sort of trick yourself into thinking that these things are adventurous. And I think it's that's tough.
Speaker 3: True, But you had a six part series on YouTube which ultimately set the tone for you. It changed your life, not as in, you know, change your life, but it changed your way of of now thinking, Wow, this is this actually works. You know, this is this is getting a lot of traction. It's getting a lot of attention. Let's go on to the next.
Speaker 6: Well, I think what you've touched on there and is that I mean, I was an ever I was not an overnight success on YouTube, and even now I'm just a I'm kind of a small fish and a bit pond.
Speaker 4: But there's a lot of us watching YouTube too, so can we. But what it did do is.
Speaker 6: It kind of made me realize that I was always one of those grand stories and I was a filmmaker. You know, there was for ten years I wanted to make a grand story and be a filmmaker.
Speaker 4: And none of it was overly success. None of it was successful period.
Speaker 6: But the smaller bite sized chunks of bass by Kayke in ten minute installments on a platform that's very inclusive. You know, YouTube's are positive social media, and it's in most people's pockets. You know, most of the world now, I think it's seventy five eighty percent of the world has Internet capacity. You're in all of those people's lives potentially, And so I thought, you know what, rather than become this sort of cinema esque feature filmy filmmaker guy that takes yourself seriously, just produce stuff and put it in people's pockets. And I'm sort of I'm sort of half flipping on it now because there's also oppression in being a YouTuber because it's relentless, right, I've just got a big I've got to be a two week storyteller and that's freaking hard. But otherwise, the actual platform and the creative outlet I think is great and I love it.
Speaker 5: We've skipped over Africa.
Speaker 3: Take me impact to that adventure, that expedition. What was the idea, what what why did you set out to do that that expedition?
Speaker 5: What was the purpose behind it?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Well, there's yeah, so there was no charity. It's just bo trying to do his thing. I must have been.
Speaker 6: I got nervous about six months out planning for this and invited then some friends to come along with.
Speaker 4: Thought, right, how do I sort of you've.
Speaker 5: Got nervous doing it yourself?
Speaker 3: You thought, do you know what it's too it's too big to take off by myself.
Speaker 6: But it's solo at sea. It's a bit like free soloing rock. You know, there's it's complete accountability. And the sea is a scary place. A big sea is a scary place. And you know I had I didn't have charts at aviation maps, and you know, I'm going and sort of half cooked because Google wasn't around.
Speaker 4: Then. You just got to do as much research as you can.
Speaker 5: And how did the expedition?
Speaker 4: Look?
Speaker 5: What were you trying to achieve?
Speaker 4: It was all set out to be.
Speaker 6: I'm going to paddle from the Tropic of Capricorn on the east to the Tropic of Capricorn on the west. So start in Mozambique and finish in Namibia. And so I started about I don't know twenty or thirty nautical miles north of the Tropic of Capricorn in them Barney and I go and I have with me for the first month or six weeks. This Kiwi bloke, he's a sailor, really good with the sea, and a lovely bloke too. And Kiwi's are hardy. Kiwi's are just they're just, you know, the bloody getting sort of folks. And so off we go and everything kind of works enough. You know, we make lots of rookie mistakes, and the trade winds kick our ass, and you know, the locals are very friendly, but we find it really hard just to get water and food, and you know, we go through all these sort of trials. Jared, my Keiwii mate, he gets malaria and we have to overh to visa, so we have to illegally get him out of the country.
Speaker 4: And then I set off on my own for a couple of months.
Speaker 6: And that's where and that's where the Bo the Boy becomes Bo the Man, almost almost overnight. You know, it was sort of to make those decisions, and I've never been scared at moments during that.
Speaker 3: Take me through, Take me through a day by yourself, you know, when you've got other people, you're you know, you're collectively decision making this problem solving. You find yourself by yourself a trip that you didn't want to be by yourself. Right, let's be honest, and now you'll find yourself by yourself.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was sort of careful what you wish for, you know. So the rule of thumb was with Jared. So the rule of thumb was, if one of us can get out through the shorebreak, then they wait out past the shore break until the other one can get it. And sometimes it'll take an hour for one or other of us to get out through the shorebreak, which is fierce in Mozambique. It's steep, it's relentless, and it's just always there. So by yourself going out through a shore break, I'd allow myself an hour each day to try and get out without you. So you get out, you get smacked and hammered and pulled out of your kayake. You can't roll because they just it's surf. It just pulls you out. You wash up on the beach and you collect or your crap up and you pump your boat out.
Speaker 4: You get back in in a way you go.
Speaker 6: And so every morning was okay, I'm sitting now, I'll have my whatever I'm eating and drinking that morning in the dunes, I slowly pack. I'll get up before dawn, you know, the first crack of bird, and then I'm just I'm down on the beach and at first light, I want to be on the water, and i'd sit there eating whatever I'm eating, and I don't take my eyes off the surf and my eyes off the water conditions, and where is the best spot to get out? Where's the low brake, what are the sets doing, where's the reef, what's the tide doing. Mozambique lacks a lot of and so does northern South Africa. Lacks a lot of headlands. It's just beach, and it's beach for twenty or thirty k's and there might be a small extinct headland which is basically just a a bulbous section of the beach.
Speaker 4: That's what you're gunning for.
Speaker 6: You're just looking for anywhere that's got the least or some sort of lea side, like a little fold point, or somewhere where the swell and the movement of water is less, or you're looking for something like a rip. You know, you're looking for water to be traveling back out to sea, and you want to get on that train. But it's all moving too, and low tide to high tide is always shifting. So you might have come in on a high tide, you got all this water in front of You're fantastic, But you get up in the morning and it's low tide and you've got four hundred meters of reef in front of you, you know. So I was often having to drag my kayak down to a small headland or somewhere that looks like it's.
Speaker 4: More well easier to get out. So it was the constant dance of that and the language barriers.
Speaker 6: I didn't speak the local languages, so asking a local was somewhat useless.
Speaker 4: And they're just seeing some alien dude rock up on their coast, you know. They the I'm not sure whether they should help you r rob you in.
Speaker 5: So how do you feel when you're by yourself and me? How you know?
Speaker 3: How how isolating is it? You've now by yourself, You've got quite a journey ahead of you. What you're feeling, are you're thinking about you know, turning it in or you just got you.
Speaker 5: Just say I'm going to I'm going to finish this.
Speaker 4: Bit of both.
Speaker 6: The trouble is I mean to to sort of I have an okay trigger, you know, as in, I'll pull the pin when I know that it's going to do either long term damage or I just can't go on with my run across the Australian Alps, it was very much the same. I plugged on because I knew my leg wasn't was still okay.
Speaker 4: It was okay. I was injured, but it was okay enough. And with Africa, if I'd pulled the.
Speaker 6: Pin anytime sooner, that was just an impatience thing or would have been a knee jerk thing.
Speaker 4: And I knew I kind of had to.
Speaker 6: I don't enjoy suffering, but I don't mind if it when it's sort of a means to an end either. And I started to think in smaller chunks then to get to Durban, re evaluate, get to Cape Town, see what happened, just just to use those chunks of time. And so that's what I do. It's, you know, and then that's a classic tale, isn't it of adventures. It's a breakdown time and movement distantly.
Speaker 3: When do you finish and how do you feel that you've you've you've you've you've finished this trip?
Speaker 6: You know, we have defining moments in our life, don't we and finishing Africa or getting to I got to Cape Town.
Speaker 4: I'd had to.
Speaker 6: Borrow a paddle at that stage because I'd lost a paddle, and so I was using this new fangled paddle of scoop paddle and I had ten and I was all through my arms.
Speaker 4: It was too stiff and too fast for I'll plug it here.
Speaker 6: And so I was, you know, and I was in love with like three women. I had negative money in my bank account.
Speaker 3: It was just shit.
Speaker 5: Talk to me about these three women.
Speaker 6: Well I one in England, one in South Africa and one in Australia. And along the way mate, Well no I didn't want to, but you know, these things just happened, you know. And so I'm in a bit of a rock and a hard place emotionally and physically economically, which is which is good for adventure, you know, when you push yourself into a corner. But I had to pull the pin. Then it's you know, the seasonal stuff, and getting up to Na Bibia was going to be a political nightmare too, So that was a relatively easy decision to stop the trip. It was a month short of when I wanted to be, but I was way I was way short of where I wanted to be physically anyway geographically.
Speaker 5: So you pull the pin.
Speaker 3: Was that quite a bittersweet moment where you were just like, pull the pin, forget about the footage? You know? Did you feel disappointed? Did you feel like absolutely yourself down? Did it? And the more that you, you know, the more that you sort of sit and dwell on it, the more it agitates you, the more the deeper that footage gets.
Speaker 6: Right, totally, it was a bit of a festa. And I, you know, this is where this whole notion of success comes in. There was there were lots successful about that trip, but more unsuccessful I felt, you know.
Speaker 4: So I came home with a.
Speaker 6: Bit of a I don't know, a bit of a debbie down atmosphere about me. I just thought that what I'd taken on was overly ambitious, not enough training or research, and just a bit a bit ad hoc. And I thought, bo, you've probably pulled the trigger on this a bit early. You probably need to be a bit more of a salty to do this for a longer period of time, in a different phase of your life.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: I just I felt like I cocked it up my sort of one opportunity to have a grand adventure before serious life kicked in.
Speaker 4: I'd sort of miss misstepped on.
Speaker 6: I thought, and so I was pretty cross at myself with that, and sort of that's why the footage sat in a box and I went off and did shorter stuff and then some money and whatever.
Speaker 5: You done six weeks solo paddling.
Speaker 3: It's being an adventurer. Did you not just think, right, let's just take the take the positives from the journey, implement them and use them for the for the next big adventure, because ultimately that was.
Speaker 5: Coming right, Let's be honest.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I do now, I absolutely do now. But I was I suppose I sulked a bit, you know, I was still I've always been a positive dude.
Speaker 4: But I think I got home and I was.
Speaker 6: A bit of woe is me because I didn't climb climb the peak that I wanted to climb. So I've had to learn that maturity. And yeah, that was sort of where it all set off from.
Speaker 3: When did you think, right, let's get this switchage out, let's actually make something of it. Unless you bring something positive from the journey.
Speaker 6: Well, as we know, some of the best stories of all time are created with animosity or when you don't succeed thought right, and so humility then percolated to the surface. It wasn't I failed at my trip. I failed at my original intention. Whereas you're right, there was so much good stuff in there. The people were amazing, the landscape is remarkable. I scared the bollocks out of myself. I went lots of highs and lows and all that great stuff. It just didn't quite have the end result that I wanted. But after a year or two of getting on with things and sulking somewhat, it was like, right, come on, make something of this, and positivity kick back in. I'm a natural optimist, and let's make a story out of this thing.
Speaker 3: And you're an incredible storyteller as well. So you know, looking back at that footage, sure, I'll.
Speaker 6: Tell you what well, and maybe you stumbled upon it. I wasn't until I started making that film, because I realized I had to be a humble I didn't do all the things I set out and I told people I would just do I thought I'd do all those things, and I didn't, and so I had to eat my humble pie and become a different kind of storyteller.
Speaker 4: And I think that sort of started me off on this path of.
Speaker 6: You don't have to be a hero bo, just go and have a great time and shoot the every day.
Speaker 3: Did you receive some bad news about a fellow kayaker that passed away trying to paddle from Australia to New Zealand?
Speaker 5: How did that hit you? Join that?
Speaker 3: And was that one of the defying moments that sort of defleated you and gave you made you decide to call it a day.
Speaker 6: It was part of it. It's probably where doubt started to trickle in of this confident young bloke who was there. And Jared was still with me at that stage. He was he wasn't yet sick, and he filmed me being I used to do a live radio across Australia each week and I'm alive on radio to ABC in Australia and the presenter says that Andrew who'd set off a similar time to me, and I talked to before he left, and he's a world class He was like the Alex Honold of the solo sea kayiking world at that time, you know, really kind of edgy ballsy stuff, willing to go longer.
Speaker 4: Further, with few commns.
Speaker 6: It just sets off on these big, massive trips across the golf of Carpenteria Tazzy in one hit and now in New Zealand. And for such a for such good, you know, for all of my failings as a sea kayaker. If I'm impulsive, he's patient. If I trained fifty ks, he trains a hunt. You know, he was very good. He was kind of the blueprint of what a mountaineering sea kayker would look like in a sense. So to hear him live on radio or by the presenter say, look, Andrew's gone missing, presumed dead. They haven't found his kaykit at that stage, I don't think I was. And I was quite surprised by how emotional that made me.
Speaker 4: I thought, Gee, how's this bloke, Who's who's so good? Die? And I'm just doing a co steering trip, you know, geez, what are you doing? Mate? You know? So I was pretty sad about that.
Speaker 3: Wow. And so you're dealing with all of that, and were you dealing with that? Was there a morning a morning process within that as well? That just in your head sort of tarnished that trip.
Speaker 4: I think so.
Speaker 6: I mean I didn't know Andrew personally at all, but but he was out there as a kind of he was sort of representative of the zenith of what we were doing. And my sat phone at that stage where people were able to text, it lit up with texts saying are you okay? You're okay because all the headlines in Australia where Australian kayaker goes missing, And like I say, the hindsight thing, absolutely, I look back at it now and it's a sort of a change of tone in that expedition based on that knowledge that Andrew was likely dead and that he'd made a mistake or he got so close. You know, they found his boat and in it was one camera and.
Speaker 4: He's got a photo of Matt Cook.
Speaker 6: You know, he's got a photo of the peaks of New Zealand, so he saw landfall.
Speaker 4: And then, as we know, so.
Speaker 6: Many drivers make those fatal mistakes five ten k from home, you know.
Speaker 4: Their faculties just ease a bit. Now.
Speaker 6: He was strung out like all buggery by that stage too, but you know, he did so much of the journey and then it all just came to put and yeah, they played on me for weeks.
Speaker 3: Revisit the footage. When you actually realize what you've got and what you achieved and you know the moments that you had, does it reignite a positive spik within yourself to not only get this footage out, but also to get back out there and give things another crack, whether it's another expedition, another task or whatever.
Speaker 4: It was absolutely, yeah, get over yourself boat. There's plenty of life to go.
Speaker 6: You know. It was this success in so many ways and a failing in so many ways, and that's cool, that's fine, get over it and make.
Speaker 4: Up for it with other ways.
Speaker 6: And I realized too then that that was all self shot and only probably about a fifth or you know, every five films I shoot these days a self shot. There's real craft in just how you go about you every day or every week when you're expeditioning. And it was just learning your craft, learning what you're doing out there, and you know what, don't take it so seriously, mate, nor yourself. Just go out there and have a go.
Speaker 3: Yes, So it gave you the kick up the ass that you needed to, Yeah, ignite yourself back into back in the game, get your sort yourself up by get your head back in the game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're all right, mate, there's plenty of people suffering real problems and you're moaning about your trip around Africa didn't quite go like your thought.
Speaker 4: Come on mate, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but when.
Speaker 3: You're when you're engulfed with it is. Yeah, it's a lot more it's a lot more dramatized than it is in your head, isn't it. So Yeah, once you engulf yourself with something like that, and you know you give so much of your time to it, it's normal that you do that of in the same headspace. Were you surprised or did you forget about some of the footage that you had and when you revisited it with you like.
Speaker 4: God, this is actually pretty cool.
Speaker 5: So I've got to get this out there.
Speaker 4: Yeah. If I edited it now, I'll be fascinating.
Speaker 6: And I've contemplated it actually, and make make a mini series of Africa again, just in little nuggets and make.
Speaker 4: It sort of youtubeable. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, yeah, And there's some real gems in there the year that I would tell a very different story now, you know, I put myself kind of I protected my ego a little still in the first edit, and I wouldn't do that now, No way I'd go to town on it.
Speaker 3: Which journey more expedition really stands out for you that you learn the most from.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'll talk more recently. I ran the McMillan's Walking Track. I ran that twenty twenty one, early twenty twenty one. The film series. It only just came out because it was a problematic story to tell because I was no longer just running for the sake of trying to run the fastest or longest or whatever it was. It had a complicated story behind it, and so I'm proud that I went back and did that.
Speaker 4: And I'm a better.
Speaker 6: Runner now than I was two years ago, and so I'm sort of I look back on the footage and think, to you, I was sort of training fifty or eighty hours a week, you know, in kind of hills, not mountains, and was able to make that work on sort of a subpar body.
Speaker 4: So I'm really proud of that. And they're hard days.
Speaker 6: They're just hard days days on end where you just suffer fest And so I'm proud for that of that two hundred and twenty k run.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've done. There's so many adventures that I want to talk about because you've done so many. But you you're almost the epitome of letting people know that you can have an adventure in your own backyard. Right. You know, you don't have to You don't have to seek your everese's, you don't have to seek yourr you know, your cape horns, you don't have to. There is literally adventure to be had in your own backyard. And one of you, one of your adventures which I love, and I don't know if we could call it an adventure. I suppose it is was eating your body weight in canned beans.
Speaker 6: Yeah, do you know? And here it is, so I've written, like what a guy.
Speaker 5: I love this?
Speaker 6: You know, Ah, I've had all my book signings that I've had in the past, I've almost signed as many tins of beans as I have.
Speaker 3: Just you could just talk us through that, mate, because honestly, when that's why I say about adventure.
Speaker 5: Normally people sick.
Speaker 3: To one adventure and they're like, I'm going to hike, I'm going to kayak, or I'm going to run or you know, you literally the most versatile adventurer I've ever met.
Speaker 5: What made you want to eat your body weight in beans.
Speaker 4: I don't know what film it was.
Speaker 6: It was Dennis Quaid, I think where he miniaturizes himself and he goes in this little capsule like a submarine, in a body, and he's in a body, in a tiny submarine, just cruising around someone's lymphatic system or veins. Anyway, I suppose there's a bit of a long bud to draw, But I do love the idea that I mean, our body and what we put into it is going to make us feel and think a particular kind of thing, which is all we go adventuring for anyway, right, is to feel something physically and to feel something emotionally and spiritually in your.
Speaker 4: Mind, whatever it might be.
Speaker 6: So we've got all these things that we can manipulate ourselves with. And of course food is such a huge one. What would I think and feel and how would my body react to just eating beans for however many days it took, and I scratched out the figures, and forty days, yeah, well thirty nine in the end, thirty nine days of eating only beans, which was four to seven tins a day. It was liberating and in the fact that I never had to think about food, as in, if I was hungry, I would just eat a tinner beans and that was it. I'd never think about what I'm eating, how I'm going to prepare it. I just crack it in and just crack on. It was really quite liberating. But the body. I went from an emotional state of sort of seven to nine every day, which is my regular kind of life, to just a six all the time. I was a six, and so I got to view what it is like to in some way be oppressed by food and what the hell does adventure look like when you're only.
Speaker 4: A six all the time.
Speaker 6: And it was fascinating, was a fascinating insight into humanity, into my what my body is capable of and what my mind. You know, where does optimism come from? Bloody comes from what you eat? Because I was just beige all the time. And yeah, so it was an adventure of somewhere. I didn't go anywhere, and that itself was really challenging for me too. I didn't have the motivation to go running or paddling. I didn't have the energy to do it as much, and so I had to make a story out of feeling pretty shit and doing something really different and so there was challenges coming at me from all over the place, and it was it was kind of cool.
Speaker 3: No, I love I love the humor in adventure as well, because when we talk about adventure and we look at adventure, everyone thinks it's going to be sort of really arduous and you know, you know, hardcore, and there's got to be some kind of traumatic sort of experience in there that's going to change you for the rest of your life. But ultimately the humor and adventure is super import as well. You know, you've got to be able to look at adventure from the bright side and be able to smile at it and be able to laugh at it.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, yeah, I look, I suppose so.
Speaker 6: And yet I've you know, when your producer reached out to me for our chat and I looked you up on Wikipedia, and just because you know you wear similar age, I think I've got a year on you. And in terms of and you've done things that are far more they're just so different to mine too. You know, your life fascinates me incredibly because of the kind of I think you have had all of these high end things that are scary as hell and have different deeper meanings and you've been told to do things and whatever. It's just I think you create humility and fun out of yours because you've had this counter experience and maybe you're still having them. And I'm trying to just find my own middle ground too. I haven't had the counter experiences you have, and if I have, they've been self inflicted and probably mistakes.
Speaker 4: And so I'm.
Speaker 6: Often thinking to you, how do I just milk? Because I love all the fantastic positive aspects of adventure and they're often really good hard work, but they're not death defying anymore. And I think that's healthy. And so yeah, that's where the smiles and the laughs come in, because you know you're just out here by choice.
Speaker 3: And they say that beans, beans are good for your heart. The more you eat, the more you far.
Speaker 4: That's totally true.
Speaker 5: That correct.
Speaker 4: I needed no help in that department.
Speaker 6: And I'm one of the bloody windiest blokes I know.
Speaker 3: How do you go from kayaking to running? Are you just a naturally fit individual that's got a super resilient mindset?
Speaker 5: What made you switch up?
Speaker 3: And why? Six hundred and fifty koments through the Australian Alps.
Speaker 6: Well I like, I'm probably more of a runner than I was a paddler. Even that that was my release as a fourteen fifteen year old kid. I thought I can run and burst the bubble of my home. Lived on a small farm with dad, So that was a good release for me as a young bloke going through kind of puberty, I suppose. So I became a runner before well and truly before a paddler, and so that was always my default, and I was always okay, you know, I've got a good heart, good strong heart. The only thing I can say about my body is that it's kind of an abusible body in that I just don't get injured all that much. I have a strength, So I'm lucky. I've got my mum's body. She was a great athlete. And once you kind of know that, you sort of lean into it a little. And so I was able to run longer and longer distances when I started to get into it, and I do things, you know, I did it as a twenty Well, I did the Big Run as a thirty something year old bloke, but it was on ten years worth of just training ad hoc but always running.
Speaker 4: I've always run, and it would been was. I was so surprised.
Speaker 6: You know, this is when the Pacific Crest and the Appalachian and a lot all the European big famous walks are being run for fastest known times and it's becoming a bit of a thing. And I was shocked to know that the Australian ups walking track had never been run. It had been attempted for four or five years by a bunch of blokes and it had been knocked back with weather and snow events and landslides and fires and all sorts of stuff, you know. And I just got lucky. I just picked my time and away I went and was able to get the job done on a bit of a shonky leg. But it was remarkable. Yeah, And like Africa, like Day sixty two in Africa, big waves and being scared to death. I learned a lot about myself out there with the body demise, more than.
Speaker 4: I'd ever had.
Speaker 5: How long did it take you?
Speaker 4: Thirteen days? Ten hours?
Speaker 6: I think maybe a couple of minutes and that, but it's down to now eleven eleven days and something so and look, people will pop.
Speaker 5: You were the first to do it. You broke that moll.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, first to get first to string it toget. Yeah, yeah, and so and that held for four or five years, and now people are whittling away five and ten hours at a time every time they do it. But it's a long lots of wheels can come off, you know. There's twenty eight thousand meters of vertical terrain and a lot of sections that are bush bashing blackberries or hot bush or just just thick jungle for kilometers at a time. So it's it's hard. It's not like the at of the PC that's pretty slick.
Speaker 4: In a sense. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And how did you sleep? Were you just literally sleeping off the trail?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, I had.
Speaker 6: I was fully supported, so my brother in law and my parents pinch hit for a couple of nights. Yeah, it was good, and I was sort of averaging fifty odd k's a day because I did the longer route.
Speaker 4: There's lots of various I did the easier route.
Speaker 6: So whenever there was an up and over a mountain, over single track, or go around contoured fire trail, I do the contoured fire trail. So I kind of cheated in some respects but attacked on an extra fifty k's.
Speaker 4: But I had.
Speaker 6: I had relatively good access by Charlie, my brother in Laura full drive, so I'd just yeah, I'd just roll out of swag and sleep in a swag or a tent and just snorm my head off and get up in the morning. And it was I was roughly twelve hours on trail each day and four hours of just mosing around a meal, and I had eight.
Speaker 4: Square hours of sleep every day. It was good.
Speaker 3: Wow. So that and the trip around Africa keep Horn, those are two that that really stick out to you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean they're the bigger, longer range things that saw a mind and body demise or where you you know where you have those. You know, every three or four days you have a questionable moment in your mind.
Speaker 4: You why am I doing this? What's the point of this?
Speaker 3: And why why do you do it? I answer that question, what is the point in it? There must be for you to keep doing it?
Speaker 6: Well, I suppose it's a bit like when I pass something that's that's usable or good loot on the you know, someone has hard rubbish on the side of the road and I pass it, and I see it, and I have room in the car. I can't unsee it, and I go back and I genuinely get it. And when I have these moments of clarity where I think, oh, you know what that trail I'd love to run or walk that trail or paddle that particular coast. If I still have that thought a day or two later, and I write a hundred words about it in a notebook or a thing, it just manifests it in beds and that's it. And then it says, the pride thing, Let's let's do this. I've had the thought, it's got it's got legs, let's see it through. And so then I just and I'm genuinely excited about new places, both real and imagined. Absolutely so that once once a story has struck and I'm keen to do it and it excites me, then away I.
Speaker 5: Go, yeah, what fascinates me about you? Bo is?
Speaker 3: You know the extent of your adventures, like you said, the big ones, you know, paddling Cape Horn and running the Australian app through the Australian out the six hundred and fifty kilometer to a ninety kilometer commute to work, where you just thought, I've got ninety kilometers to commute to work.
Speaker 5: I'm not going to drive in. I'm going to walk in. I'm going to run in. You do that as well, don't you?
Speaker 4: I did. Yeah, that was it was part of my commute series. I only did two of the four.
Speaker 6: It was going to be walk, then paddle, then ride a horse, then take a balloon. The last two were a bit harder to arrange, and I got made redundant in between, so perfectly I didn't have to do those last two. But the paddle at was the hardest adventure I've ever had, hands down. So I took four days to get to work, which it usually takes me seventy five minutes to get to work, and that took me four full on days dragging a kayak. It was sort of almost like an Arctic trip of glaciation. You know, you're just having to drag this kayak through everything and anything and then paddle certain sections. It was fricking hard and brilliant too. It was brilliant, one of the best adventures I've ever had, and it was often ten or twenty meters from the road.
Speaker 4: I always drive amazing.
Speaker 3: So where is your mindset at? On a daily basis? You could because you're one of these people. You could step outside your door. You're seeing adventure and you'll want to do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I'm far more disciplined now, and I write things down, and I'm a family man with two little girls and a wife, and so things are far more strategic.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, But.
Speaker 6: You know, I am intimidated by life in a sense that while I'm scared of death, and two I'm scared of not doing enough in my years I have left. So it's always for me now it's about what are the best ideas? Because ideas are cheap, and the hard part is to make good of your best ideas. And so I'm constantly trying to whittle down the best ideas into the best stories which give me the best day to day bang for buck.
Speaker 3: And how important is it to get your story across? How important is storytelling? Because ultimately that's all we have to leave behind, right I suppose.
Speaker 6: So, although I'm becoming more of a skeptic of legacy, because.
Speaker 4: I suppose once I'm gone, I'm gone.
Speaker 6: And I think of all the people I greatly respect to left stories and artwork and things, and I think they're magnificent. But I love their artwork, but i'd much rather them be here too. So the legacy between a legacy and a person, I'd much rather take the person. So yeah, the thing with stories for me now is that that's how I own my money. So it's just honing my craft. I'm just a carpenter that wants to become better on the tools, you know. So I'm just trying to create and I want to burst the bubble of It's about eighty percent male thirty to fifty that watch my stuff online and I want to I want to crack out of that and get more genders and more age diverse and more and more, you know, just people in weird corners of the world.
Speaker 4: So that's a real challenge.
Speaker 3: Our final question before we wrap up, if your daughters want to go on some crazy adventures, No go with them?
Speaker 5: Does that go with them? Does he stay at home?
Speaker 4: I trust them, I think to either have me along or not.
Speaker 6: I reckon I'd be a pretty good support crew, pretty handy, good at taping up wounds and reading maps for them. I hope they want to go on adventures. I think my oldest particularly will love it. But I love that idea too, of being able to go out and have a full blown real sweatfest of an adventure that's hard with the girls when they're up for it. Jeez, it'll keep me young.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I'm the same with my children.
Speaker 3: I've got my fourteen year old son now, and my wife has always told me be careful what you ignite within them, because now he wants to climb the seventh summits and guess what Dad's going with him?
Speaker 5: So that is brilliant.
Speaker 6: Now what about the military though, would you happily have him go to the military.
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, yeah, yeah, the right person to point in the right direction.
Speaker 6: Eh yeah, yeah, yeah, I suppose I was done. You good, So I suppose that makes sense.
Speaker 3: But listen, thank you so much for coming on my podcast. You've been fascinating and talk about adventure I think you home the true sense sense of adventurer because the versatility and the scalability that you that you go out and explore is phenomenal. It's humorous, it's inspiring. Mate, keep doing what you're doing, and I look forward to logging in and subscribe in to your YouTube channel mate, to see plenty more to come and listen.
Speaker 6: No more beans, no fair enough thasm Oh jeez, I get the beans thing a lot.
Speaker 4: Thanks Mane, Thanks man.
Speaker 5: Thanks so much for joining me on Headgame.
Speaker 3: If you enjoyed this episode, make sure you're subscribed so you don't miss any of our incredible stories, and leave me.
Speaker 5: A review wherever you're listening. I'm Att Middleton. Catch you again next time.