Speaker 1: Welcome.
Speaker 2: Wait, well, good evening and thanks for joining us. I'm James Macpherson with Liz Storer and filling in for Caleb Bond Sky News contributor Claire Row And I've got to tell you before we go on any further. Claire Row made us magnificent Mars bar slice. Caleb, I know you're watching. You will not be back on the show unless you up the ante.
Speaker 3: On Mondays, stay in Adelaide, buddy, who needs you? Yeah, we've got Brownie clan.
Speaker 4: Now it's the start of the show. But we love your contribution already, clear, it's magnificent.
Speaker 5: Love to be here well.
Speaker 4: Coming up tonight.
Speaker 2: Signs road signs of Donald Trump have begun mysteriously appearing right throughout New York City, but no one knows who's doing it or why.
Speaker 4: We'll show you that a little later.
Speaker 2: Plus, when we look at the papers, Victoria's road network is absolutely crumbling. You will not believe how many potholes every day repair crews are having to fill. We'll tell you a little later, but whatever number you're thinking of right now, I guarantee you it'll be way more than you could possibly imagine. On top of that, the Albanezi government's vehicle emissions scheme has been blown apart by their own ineptitude. They have accidentally exempted some of the most emitting vehicles. We'll talk about that when we get to the papers. But you know, coming into the Sky News studio earlier this evening, I misplaced my security pass and I'm thinking to myself, idiot, I'm always losing either my security pass or my car keys, and I thought, James, don't be too hard on yourself.
Speaker 4: Get this.
Speaker 2: New South Wales police have misplaced five thousand, five hundred and seventy seven bulletproof vests. An audit of police resources found that they had lost five and a half thousand of these things. That's a lot of bulletproof vests to slip down behind the couch. If you think I'm making this up, have a look at this career mail report. New South Wales Police lost track of five hundred and seventy seven ballistic vests worth an astonishing eight point four million dollars, according to an explosive internal audit in July twenty twenty two. Now, this audit went on to say the reconciliation audit has identified a total body armor deficit of five and a half thousand vests. This is a police briefing signed by Miss web she's the Commissioner's chief of staff. It went on to say this is an estimated asset value of eight point three sixty five million dollars and concluded that the ballistic vests had historically been treated as a uniform item rather than a prohibited weapon. Now most states in Australia regard bulletproof vests as a weapon. In fact, if you want a bulletproof vest in New South Wales you have to apply and it's only permitted if you can prove you're a security guard who requires one, or a member of a media organization going to report somewhere dangerous and ironically, one of the strict conditions for being allowed to have a bullet proof vest is that you can prove that you will store it safely and securely. Unlike Liz, the New South Wales Police Force they've been treating these things like hoodies, just leaving them all over the place. The Deputy Commissioner, David Hudson said the number of missing vests was quote embarrassing Liz and Claire, I reckon if you lost ten bullet proof vests. That would be embarrassing, but to lose five and a half thousand of them, that's beyond embarrassing.
Speaker 4: That's just absolutely hopeless.
Speaker 3: And now they're looking at doing a third audit. So the audit that we're currently talking about was from twenty twenty two, at which point Commissioner Karen Webb was asked, can you account for these thousands of missing vests? She couldn't, so then there was a second audit, but that audit said that there was only and I quote two two hundred and fifty eight vests that were on account for. So now there's going to be a third audit, which is why today Commissioner Karen Webb's office says no comment until the third audit has been completed. What a plava are they just trying to cover their tracks now and say, actually it's half the original number, which of course the LACC otherwise known as the Enforcement Conduct Commission with saying, well, excuse me, what you've said in the first audit and the second audit rather large discrepancy. So now we taxpayers are forking out for a third order to find out who the heck has these vests because you can bet your bottom dollar whoever wants to be bulletproof are precisely the people we don't want to being bulletproof.
Speaker 6: Are these things that small, right, We're not talking about like some caps lying around the place. If you've ever seen the guys wearing this, these are quite big items.
Speaker 5: Like they're not stamp uniform items.
Speaker 6: They are rated like a category E firearm, so they should not be in the hands of people you know that they shouldn't be, and it's dangerous.
Speaker 5: And I just think this.
Speaker 6: Goes to the just ineptness again of the inefficiency of any public run to be on a state or federal system. Like I run a small business if I lost eight point four million dollars worth of asset, I don't have eight point four million.
Speaker 5: Dollars worth of but if I did, like heads would roll. I'm sorry, you can't run a business like that.
Speaker 6: And yet suddenly you know that the public sector just seems to be able to do this in this mismanagement and this bloated sense of just absolute inefficiency.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, the difference between your illustration if it was your business and of course the police service, is that you would have to pay for the missing like your business for the public service. We all get left with the bill. It raises some questions though, I mean, firstly, how do five and a half thousand book proofests just go missing and they've only just kind of realized. But also a lot of prosecutions rely on police being able to prove a chain of custody of evidence.
Speaker 4: You know exactly this.
Speaker 2: Item went to this person to this person. Now this person is charged with receiving stolen goods. Yes, how can you believe police prosecutions in cases like that when they can't keep track of their own equipment?
Speaker 7: It's a great question.
Speaker 3: Don't trust them as far as you can throll if this story is anything to go by to the US now where following the vice president their vice presidential debate.
Speaker 7: There, I got it out.
Speaker 3: People have taken to Twitter to share their thoughts, especially about this bizarre line from Democrat VP nominee Tim Waltz, who said he had some very unusual friends.
Speaker 7: You previously oppose an assault weapons ban, but it only later in your political career did you change your position? Why?
Speaker 8: Yeah, he's setting that office with those Sandiok parents. So I've become friends with school shooters.
Speaker 4: I've seen it.
Speaker 3: You've become friends with school shooters. Naturally, the press was all over this, and he was pressed very hard about it to no avail, finding instead pizza in a display cabinet suddenly so fascinating he couldn't possibly toss a reply over his shoulder coverny.
Speaker 4: He said, you'd become friends with school shooters?
Speaker 5: Or the debate?
Speaker 9: You clarify what you meant on that?
Speaker 3: Can you clarify what you meant when you said you'd be friends with school shooters? Well, today he took another whack at it, because the press aren't giving up on such a bizarre statement from the man who wants to be vice president of the most powerful country in the world.
Speaker 7: Here's what he had to say second time round.
Speaker 5: Do you a fair thing comsy?
Speaker 7: You need the school shooters?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 8: And look, you got to see me. These folks know me. I'm super passionate about this. The question come up on school shooting. We're talking about everything except school shootings. And I set a remember of Congress with the Sanduo parents and it was a profound movement. David Hogg is a good friend of mine. You have seen me do this. I'm talking about being people where there are school shooters.
Speaker 3: Oh, so he just misspoke a bit like how he misspoke about being at the Tianaman's Square protests in nineteen eighty nine. I suppose so he did say during the debate. He gets carried away with the rhetoric. Of course, the Trump campaign was very quick to pick up on this bizarre line from Tim Waltz, posting this on Truth Social Trump and Waltz not friends with shooters, Trump and Vance rather, I mean, this is just a hilarious line from him. The press have not given him a minute's rest since he said it, and now he's just trying to make people go, oh, I just I just misspoke. Why would you misspoke? Saying that your friends with school shooting.
Speaker 6: The knucklehead apparently was his explanation, you admit that.
Speaker 2: What I don't understand about this current US administration is they are all terrible communicators. Joe Biden can't speak proper no, Kamala Harris can't speak proper karine. Jean Pierre, the White House spokesperson, has trouble getting out of a sentence. And Tim Waltz, I mean, he's meant to be a school teacher, and yet he continually stumbles and then he says I love it, where he says, oh, I want to explain what I.
Speaker 7: Meant, and then go on to explain anything.
Speaker 3: But the other people for the clarification, there was no clarification.
Speaker 2: The other irony about this is the Democrats are complaining that, you know, his statement's been taken out of context and people are mischaracterized. He's of course he's not a friend of school shooters, but they continually mischaracterized and take it out of context. Donald Trump, for instance, remember how Trump said that there'd be an economic blood bath if his auto policies weren't enacted, and then they said, well, if Trump loses the election, there'll be a blood bath, implying he meant violence.
Speaker 4: Trump said that he'd be dictator for a day.
Speaker 2: When asked jokingly, what would you love to do if you could do anything, he said, I'd be dictator for one day.
Speaker 4: And I think it related to energy policy. And then the Democrats said, oh.
Speaker 2: He's promised he's going to be a dictator from day one. So they continually take things out of context and now complain that Waltz is being taken out of context.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and this is the thing.
Speaker 6: I think this goes to really the issue here when you speak to someone in the street, even in Australia at the moment, and you ask them what they think of that, you know, the US election, and the answer is routinely.
Speaker 5: Is this all they've got?
Speaker 6: Do they not have anyone better in the entire country? And so I think the issue here is that we can all misspeak.
Speaker 5: Right, we're here on live TV. Things can come out of our mouth that we can't put back.
Speaker 4: We're good tonight, but we are not running.
Speaker 6: To be the vice president of the United States, right, And so I think there has to be like we kids cannot be forgiving on that. This is such a this is the biggest job interview ever and there needs to be an expectation of clarity of confidence, particularly around sensitive issues like school shootings. Really like, you do not want to fumble your words when you're talking about subject matters like that, And you're right, none of them can actually speak.
Speaker 2: The other peculiar thing about this is, I mean, we all know that he misspoke. Of course, he's not hanging out, you know, down the park with school shooters because he's got a little club going on, so we all know he didn't mean to say what he said, but it begs the question, is this I don't understand help me. Why can't he just simply say I got that wrong. What I meant to say was and we would all go, of course, but instead they go this way, they go that way, everything except simply address the mistake. Is this because so much of what they say is not true that they eventually just have trouble telling him.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 3: But I think what you've missed is that was him doing exactly what you said he should do.
Speaker 7: He thinks that he's done. That was plain nat replied, that.
Speaker 3: Was Here's way of saying I misspoke.
Speaker 7: Here's my actual explanation.
Speaker 3: Now, the media is finding it very hard to find any fault with JD Vance's performance in yesterday's debate, and so they've taken to picking on his body language and namely his beard.
Speaker 7: Check out this number.
Speaker 3: From Politico eight body language tells from the vice presidential debate. This article is written by Joe Navarro. He says, no, I'm not a telepath. I'm a body language expert with over fifty years of experience, twenty five of which I spent with the FBI, where I served in the National Security division's elite behavioral analysis program. I've used my expertise in the endlessly subtle science of nonverbal communication to help ferret out spies and put away criminals.
Speaker 7: Well, Joe, you sound so impressive.
Speaker 3: Do tell us your insights from the debate.
Speaker 7: He goes on.
Speaker 3: One of the first bits of nonverbal communication to a here in the debate was on JD.
Speaker 7: Vance's face his beard.
Speaker 3: As Politico Magazine has noted before, Vance is the first White House wanna be to wear facial hair in eighty years. Our appearance is fundamental to our body language, and research indicates that voters see beards as surprise, surprise, more masculine. That can be positive to some, reading as a strength and competence, but to others, especially women, it can be negative, conveying aggression and opposition to feminist ideals. Joe, Buddy, I'm not a body language expert, and I don't have fifty.
Speaker 7: Years of experience.
Speaker 3: But here's just a small illustration of why JD.
Speaker 7: Vance has chosen to have a beard.
Speaker 3: Here's a shot from twenty seventeen before beard pre beard.
Speaker 7: Does this di look presidential to you? Not very?
Speaker 3: He looks like he's just finished Uni and he's on the phone to his mum. Now let's compare that with yesterday's JD Vance. Oh yes, that's a president in waiting. We don't need you to unpack why this guy has grown a beard, or how it could spell out aggression or him trying.
Speaker 7: To just look presidential. It just is what it is, buddy.
Speaker 2: Thank god for Politico because left devices, I would have thought, you know, the beard was either tho personal style or maybe just facial hair. But now I know that a beard is a sign, a surefire sign of misogyny, which makes me see other figures in a whole new light. Abe Lincoln terrible misogynist. Oh Jesus Christ hopeless misogynist. Santa Claus himself a terrible misogynist.
Speaker 3: Caleb Goodness, Caleb bon a huge misogynist, I said.
Speaker 4: The other misogynist though, beard Karl Marx. And this is a bit awkward. Karl Marx had a beard.
Speaker 2: But Politico only regard a beard as a sign of misogyny if you're a conservative. Because back in twenty twenty, have a look at this from Politico. At the very beginning of this interminable year, Justin Trudeau grew a beard. The beard was significant, a symbol of a once useful prime minister who was now older and wiser, and battlescarred.
Speaker 4: So there you go.
Speaker 2: A beard is a sign of misogyny, according to Politico if you're a conservative, but if you're a lefty, it's a sign of wisdom and maturity.
Speaker 6: It is maturity, right, And let's not forget that Daily Advance is one of the youngest candidates to be VP. He was born of the same year and month is myself so very young, very very and.
Speaker 5: I think it does add.
Speaker 6: A certain maturity the beard and strength and confidence, and God forbid that those would actually be the qualities that we would want.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, God Manland, Oh terrible. Look.
Speaker 5: On a serious note, this just comes.
Speaker 6: This is a ridiculous I actually thought it was satire when I saw these, and I just think it's another one of those articles that uses the word masculine. But they've just they really didn't mean that racketed word of toxic, you know, in front of masculine, And that never happens with femininity, right, I never talked about toxic femininity always, you know, And why is masculinity bad?
Speaker 5: It's not bad? And in the case of no more of our country. That's what we want.
Speaker 4: So you're saying a woman with a beard that would be an example of.
Speaker 5: Toxic, well that that may be the case. That may be the case. And I'm not sure whether you know Kamala can go that way.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure.
Speaker 7: Anyway she thought I was some voke she would do it. But Joe's taking a part.
Speaker 3: The body language of these two candidates continues, this time focusing on Tim Woltz.
Speaker 7: So I newly get fascinated by this.
Speaker 3: So here's the other side of the story.
Speaker 7: There was no beard to pick on, so.
Speaker 3: Joe has gone with something else, he writes. When Waltz felt especially passionate about something, he'd open his eyes wide. As sources, eye popping can sometimes be a sign of surprise, but for Waltz, it simply revealed his emotional intensity, like this moment during an exchange about abortion. Early humans would have made such facial gestures to communicate strong emotions like danger is close, But for walt it gave extra weight to his feelings and held our gaze. Again, mate, I am no body language expert, but that wide eyed expression that we basically never saw wiped off the face of Tim Walt.
Speaker 7: That was sheer terror. That was sheer terror.
Speaker 3: And when they were less wide open, he just looked confused.
Speaker 4: That's not a dear court in headline.
Speaker 3: I'm a body language expert.
Speaker 6: I'll tell you that that is complete and utter pop psychology. That was either an optic twitch or a tick or I agree, it was this absolute paddock. You know, but maybe we could just start doing that when we need to, like, you know, in further, there's danger here across the desk, we'll just hypopit each other.
Speaker 2: I mean, the amazing thing is that the world is on fire right now and this is the sort of stuff that pulled so running with this is what qualifies, as you know, insightful analysis and journalism. Meanwhile, while Politico are off in fantasy land, Americans are really suffering, especially those who have been hit by the recent hurricane that tore through six states, destroying entire communities. Almost two hundred people dead, about one hundred people still missing at last report, and one one hundred and.
Speaker 4: Fifty thousand households. It's not people. One hundred and fifty thousand.
Speaker 2: Households have applied for federal assistance and relief. Here's Kamala Harris with the good news.
Speaker 9: The federal relief and assistance that we have been providing has included FEMA providing seven hundred and fifty dollars for folks who need immediate needs being met.
Speaker 2: Seven hundred and fifty bucks. Your home has been destroyed, your town is in ruins.
Speaker 4: But it's okay.
Speaker 2: The Democrats are going to rock up with seven hundred and fift That's not seven hundred ffty dollars a week. It's not like a monthly payment until you get yourself, that's just a one off seven hundred and fifty dollars.
Speaker 4: Good luck with.
Speaker 5: That US dollars. You will add a bit more on.
Speaker 2: Sure, But if you're thinking that there may be some more coming down the track, don't hold your breath because Homeland Security Secretary Alexandro mayorcus he said, and they quote, we're meeting the immediate needs with the money that we have. We're expecting another hurricane hitting. But FEMA, that's the organization committed to relief, does not have the funds to make it through the season. So Liz it raises the question, this is hurricane season. This is not a surprise. They allocate money every year so that they can help citizens, American citizens get through these times. But they've got seven hundred and fifty bucks per household and that's it. Where's the money gone?
Speaker 3: This is utterly disgusting. Just to help you realize how pitiful this is.
Speaker 7: In the last year alone, we have spent one hundred.
Speaker 3: And fifty billion dollars on the twenty million illegal immigrants, most of which have been facilitated into the country by this administration. They've been spending all that government resources on these illegals. Here we have thousands of Americans in Diony. They've lost their homes, their cars are underwater, the trail of destruction. They haven't seen this type of hurricane in fifty years in mainland America, and here they are being.
Speaker 7: Told seven hundred and fifty bucks a pop.
Speaker 3: She'll be right, it can grab some musli bars and what are the What are these people expected to do?
Speaker 7: They've lost absolutely everything.
Speaker 3: Even if they are fortunate enough to have insurance, we all know that takes a long time to kick in and for you to see absolutely any fruit from that.
Speaker 7: These people are utterly desperate.
Speaker 3: Elon Musk has already bailed them out, giving them communications via Starlink, because back in twenty twenty two, this government, rather the Communications Board, which is apparently totally independent, gave Elon Musk a grant to build it in this disaster prone area for situations like this, and then took back the grant. They claim it's got nothing to do with his political affiliations, him being a big supporter of Trump, But of course that poses a huge question mark. So Elon's coming to the rescue in terms of communications for these communities that are completely otherwise cut off. These guys have been handed seven hundred and fifty bucks from their federal government. There's no more aid coming, and you've just got Homeland Security secretary saying femas out of money. Sorry, we're not even going to make it through this if only you'd look after your own before the illegals. And that's to say nothing of the tens of billions of dollars they've spent in foreign aid this year alone.
Speaker 5: It's ridiculous, that's the thing.
Speaker 6: And I think, you know, the Republicans do not need any other point to prosecute other the next like this is it really? And it goes to the question that I think Australians need to ask themselves as well here to look at this and say, what is the role of our elected representatives, what is it is it actually to represent our best interests?
Speaker 5: And at the end of the day, as global.
Speaker 6: Citizens, we should be giving foreign aid, we should be helping people who want you know, protection here, but not at the complete expense of our own citizens, right And at the end of the day, they've turned around and said, I'm sorry, we've got no money left for hurricanes in you know, the most hurricane you know, Staate an Erica pro area. This is not a surprise. We didn't know this was going to happen. I mean, they have not planned for this at all. As you said, they've spent the money you know, on illegal immigrants, on foreign aid, et cetera.
Speaker 2: And that's the part that would just be absolutely devastating for US citizens.
Speaker 4: The fact that, I mean, there's some examples, and.
Speaker 2: We've talked about on this program before New York City gave debit cards to illegal migrants where they were getting forty percent more money from the government as illegals than low income earners or elderly people who were accessing government.
Speaker 1: Money intellectans in America in California for their country legals were being given gender reassignment surgery paid for by American.
Speaker 2: Taxpayers in Portland, and Portland was just one of many places where illegals were being put up in hotels by the taxpayer. Then you've got the taxpayers whose homes have been destroyed and there's no money left to help them because it's all been spent on everything from hotels to gender reassignment surgery for people who should never have been in the country in the first place. And you raised a great point about government because we often talk about, you know, we need smaller government, smaller government, but if there's ever a case for saying we need the government to come in and take control, it's in the event of a natural disaster, because corporations are there for profit, right, so they're not the best people in this instance.
Speaker 4: You need government who come in.
Speaker 2: They're not trying to make a profit, they're just trying to help, and when you need them, they're absently.
Speaker 6: And let me tell you, the same thing is happening in the UK where there will be civil war because immigrants coming into the country are going straight to the front of the queue that is like community housing. While UK citizens who are born and bred their whole lives in the UK are missing out and community housing and they're angry. And governments really need to see this, and Australians need to see this, you know, like we're in such a fortunate position where things play out overseas and yet we don't seem to learn from it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we've got some vision of Kamala. Howis she visited some of the devastated communities, and that will show finally vision there she is wandering through, see how she's interacting with the locals.
Speaker 3: Liz, This administration, though, has been completely m Ia.
Speaker 7: This is almost a.
Speaker 3: Week after the fact she previously said, Oh no, I'm not going to go to Georgia. I'm not going to go to North Carolina because.
Speaker 7: I just be in the way.
Speaker 3: Actually a pertinent point if you're Kamala Harris, I mean, what else are you good for? But here she is finally doing the photo op, the awkward walk through. Half the time, their lips aren't even moving, they're just kind of gesticulating it.
Speaker 7: Yes, let's make some reels for the news. But this has been.
Speaker 3: Such an incredible opportunity for once again the Trump campaign. Days previous was already on the ground in Georgia. Here's a short clip of Trump giving his condolences to the families who have lost lives. Over one hundred and twenty people are deceased due to this hurricane, and also promising aid.
Speaker 10: It was hospitals, highways, and cars have been plunged underwater. Entire neighbors have been turned into lakes. Nobody's seen anything like it. And every family that's been displaced here in Georgia and North Carolina, who which has really been had We're going there also, and they don't have communication. They don't have any thing right now that we're trying to. I just spoke to Elon. I'm getting him. We want to get starlink hooked up because they have no communication whatsoever. And Elon will always come through, we know that, and so we're working on that getting them hooked up. They asked me whether or not that would be possible. We're going to try and get the starlink in there as soon as possible because they have no communication.
Speaker 7: So the actual.
Speaker 3: Biden administration no one on the ground for days and days. Trump wasted no time in making his way to Georgia, which is where he was making that speech, and also the Biden administration tried to take credit for the fact that on now we're getting thirty star link whatever they call those things. They're like little they don't have to be plugged into the communications. They're like satellites that work all by themselves, giving people access to the Internet so that they can use.
Speaker 7: Their phone and computers.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, Elon's tweeting about the fact that he and Trump were the ones who were organizing this, and he was already sending these starlinks to North Carolina and Elston Elon Musk.
Speaker 2: Let's not forget he's also bailing out Boeing by rescuing US astronauts from out of space where they've been stranded. But Musk to the rescue. Is there nothing this man cannot do? But there's some other interesting questions about this quick Well.
Speaker 6: I was just looking at that and just said, which kind of forgets she's not the president.
Speaker 5: I know she's on a campaign, but she's not the president.
Speaker 6: Yeah, by the president of the United States, where is he giving that, you know, seven hundred and fifty dollars announcement?
Speaker 5: Maybe he even realized that was a bit too pitiful and didn't want to do it, but we kind of forget that.
Speaker 6: I get she's in in campaign mode and so they're putting her forward to make these announcements, but she is not the sitting president, and the country needs to see the sitting president.
Speaker 5: Where is he?
Speaker 2: Well, he was sitting on the beach and they said, what do you do? He said, We've been on the phone, as if sitting on.
Speaker 4: The beach in Delaware the phone.
Speaker 2: I've got it all under control, showing compassion and care for US citizens. This is quite incredible, and you're right, Kamala Harris has forgotten that she is in office at the moment, pretending like she hasn't been responsible at all, and she continues to be irresponsible. Let's go to let's stay in America for a moment. There's an incredible story in Virginia where a Christian teacher was fired from his job because he refused to address a biological female student using male pronouns. Peter Vlaming was a French teacher at West Point High School and one of his students transitioned.
Speaker 4: From female to male.
Speaker 2: So, in trying to stay true to truth and to biology, he decided, I'm not going to use the wrong pronouns for this girl. I'm not going to call her a he or a hymn, but neither do I want to offend, so I'll simply use the child's name.
Speaker 4: But that wasn't enough.
Speaker 2: And so when he explained to the child, who wanted to know why out you using he and him, the parents got in contact with the teacher and said, leave your beliefs, leave your principles at the door. You must address our son using the proper pronouns. And then the school came to him, requiring him to sign a written document agreeing that he would use the preferred pronouns, which he said he could not do.
Speaker 4: Quote.
Speaker 2: I was wrongfully fired from my teaching job because my religious beliefs put me on a collision course with school administrators who mandated that teachers ascribed to only one perspective on gender identity, their preferred view. I loved teaching French and gracefully tried to accommodate every student in my class, but I couldn't say something that directly violated my conscience. He took the school to court, and incidentally, he won on appeal five hundred and seventy five thousand dollars in damages. But according to his complaint in the court case, mister Lemming's conscience and religious practice prohibits him from intentionally lying, and he sincerely believes that referring to a female as a male by using an objectively male pronoun is telling a lie. Now, as I said, he won the court case. He won a significant amount of money. This is the guy you want teaching your kids.
Speaker 4: By the way.
Speaker 2: But he didn't win because he was factually and scientifically true. He won because of his religious beliefs. The court ruled that his religious freedom had been violated by the school mandating he had to speak in a particular way.
Speaker 4: So lucky he was a Christian.
Speaker 2: Otherwise, I'm not sure what argument he would have had since we've decided biology is no longer an argument.
Speaker 3: Well, one wonders if he weren't a Christian and again was simply refusing to lie. I mean, you don't have to be a Christian to recognize biological sex is. There's plenty of secular people who believe that just as much, though they may not have as much conviction around it and aren't going to pursue matters in court. But certainly, if they were fired, who knows what they would do. This story made me remember Enoch Burke, who has spent four hundred days in prison and just last month went to prison for.
Speaker 7: The third time.
Speaker 3: He is a teacher in Ireland who similarly refused to refer to a student by them pronouns and just kept rocking up at work because, as he kept pointing out, I'm still on the payroll. They keep paying me, so I'm rocking up to do my job. It is incredible that certainly Ireland doesn't recognize similar rights, because his argument is exactly the same.
Speaker 7: He is a religious man, he.
Speaker 3: Refuses to use they then pronouns. This student is either a he or she I can't remember, and yet he's spent four one hundred days in jail. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, this is the world we are living in now, and he's still in jail.
Speaker 5: As far as far as I know.
Speaker 6: I mean, when you said that the teacher was calling the student by their name, their preferred name, right, he was gracious enough to actually say, if you want to go by a different name, I will call you by that name. When he sat down and had a meeting, which he said he thought went very well with his student. It wasnt until later that he got this phone call and it was just a matter of pronouns. And I don't actually know how many times you need to use someone's pronoun when you're teaching a class, you know, if you're just referring to someone by their first name.
Speaker 5: I don't even think he did missgender.
Speaker 6: It did come up as an issue, but obviously he refused to sign that agreement and stuck to his convictions. And ironically, on a lighter note, I do think it's rather funny that he was, you know, a teacher, a scholar of the French language, and French take their language very very seriously, where literally every single object la pen is feminine or masculine.
Speaker 5: It's binary and after.
Speaker 6: The word when a couple of years ago the French language had to come up with a new word, okay, they had to invent a non binary word pronoum really have one, and the member of parliament in French said that the way forward is not this way for our language, and they were in uproar that their.
Speaker 5: Dictionary included it.
Speaker 6: So you know, he's got the French in him, and he's you know, am a Christian.
Speaker 2: While we've got you with us on the late debate. You're a child psychologist.
Speaker 4: So did he handle it well?
Speaker 2: Is there anything he could have done better to both maintain his Christian beliefs and look after the welfare of this child.
Speaker 5: I don't know if.
Speaker 6: There's an answer to that, actually, and I don't. I think he did everything he could have done. He said he did it graciously.
Speaker 5: I think he did.
Speaker 6: I think sitting down and explaining his sight, he didn't bereat the student. He didn't say that they were, you know, silly, or if it was nonsense, and you know, he did what he could to say, this is where i'll meet you, and I.
Speaker 5: Will call you by your preferred name.
Speaker 6: My concern of what I see in my clinical practice is actually teachers starting to refer to students by their preferred pronouns or their preferred name without the permission of parents. Yeah, and I see that, And that is more worrying that it's our parents.
Speaker 5: And I know parents who have found out after a.
Speaker 6: Term or two a school when they turn up at a parent teacher interview and that the teachers are referring to their daughter as a head. Well, hang on a second, we had no idea about this and we never gave permission.
Speaker 4: That is alarming, incredible, all right.
Speaker 2: Speaking of alarming, people in Chatswood, New South Wales are alarmed because a McDonald's has applied to offer twenty four hour in store dining and they say this is going to absolutely destroy the tranquility of Chatswood. Residents are up in arms and so angry that will it be. Counsels said to McDonald's, look, you can have your new eight million dollar store, but you have to shut down indoor dining at ten pm.
Speaker 4: After ten o'clock it's drived through.
Speaker 2: Only listen to some of the arguments that chat residents made against twenty four in store dining. Resident Sean Feritis was among opponents who wrote to the council arguing the store could lead to quote increased noise levels due to car movements, customer interactions and the general buzz.
Speaker 4: Of activity which is a little vague, but listen to this one.
Speaker 2: Another local, Jessica Whitebourne, complained the semi industrial location of the store on Smith Street could provide would be criminals a dark playground of industrial units and streets in which to do as they please. But my favorite argument against this twenty four hour McDonald's is from Zoe Hart, who said the impact on the health of residents was another sticking point for locals, arguing that the store could quote contribute to Australia's growing obesity and health crisis.
Speaker 4: Now just let me understand this argument.
Speaker 2: If you go through the drive through, it's not going to affect ABC levels in Australia. But indoor die after ten pm, I'll tell you what people will be stacking on the weight list.
Speaker 7: Didn't you know it's calorie free. It's calorie free if you get it in drive through the day.
Speaker 3: Yeah lutely, it's all about hours because if you eat things closer to bedtime, it's in your system longer and you get fatter. So Claire Zoe Heart rather you're giving her a bit of a bad run there. There is some science to what she's the hour that you eat it count.
Speaker 5: Come on, north Shore peeps like it. It's macas.
Speaker 6: It's not, you know, the troublesome activity that's taking place.
Speaker 5: It's not an outlaw bike above for God's sake.
Speaker 4: That's what it's going to become.
Speaker 2: It's going to become a criminal underground, playground of criminal activity on that note. We're going to go to a break, but when we come back, we'll look at the papers. You won't believe how many potholes every day they're having to repair in Victoria. It's an astonishing number. We'll talk about that in a moment.
Speaker 4: Welcome back. Let's take a look at what's making news tomorrow.
Speaker 2: You've got the Herald's sun and potholes are the big story.
Speaker 3: I know we've teased it to death and now you're about to find out the actual digits.
Speaker 7: How many are they fixing in Victoria? Well wonder no more. Exclusive repair queues.
Speaker 3: Repair Crewise otherwise known as repair Cruise forced to fill seven hundred potholes a day. I med record drop in vital upgrades on crumbling road system.
Speaker 7: Whole lot of strife.
Speaker 3: The splash reads Victorian repair crews are being forced to feel almost seven hundred potholes a day across the state's crumbling road network amid a record drop.
Speaker 7: Well, it's just.
Speaker 3: Exactly the same as the exclusive splash.
Speaker 7: I'm disappointed.
Speaker 3: We bought the total number of potholes filled over the past five years to an estimated one point two five million.
Speaker 7: That's a heck of a lot of potholes.
Speaker 3: Who's in the pothole filling industry, because you guys are in a well fed paddock Victoria right now.
Speaker 2: In twenty twenty one, the Victorian Orditor General's Office said fifteen percent of Victoria's roads were in a quote very poor condition. That was up from eleven percent ten years earlier. But that was when they filled seventy one thousand, five hundred potholes.
Speaker 4: So now they're.
Speaker 2: Filling two hundred and twenty thousand last over left.
Speaker 4: He's got a lot more.
Speaker 2: World, but were you're literally swerving in a single lane trying to not fall down and disappear into a whole.
Speaker 4: That's just incredible. But it just goes to show.
Speaker 2: I mean, we pas fortune for car registration tolls, fuel excises.
Speaker 4: Where's our money going road repairs? I'll tell you those keep pulling into disrepair.
Speaker 6: I just diod a story on the Victorian government issuing a paper about how librarians need to check with five year olds on their gender preferences.
Speaker 5: First, that's where it's got.
Speaker 7: That's important tax payer money well or events.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is a revital to a flourishing society. Ladies and gentlemen staying on the front page of the Herald Sun frontline cops down and out. Victoria police vacancys have surged to more than one thousand, with the latest force figures revealing there are twenty two more unfilled positions now then on June thirtieth this year. They're saying this is due to a wave of retirements and a slowing in the number of recruits graduating. So I would also like to say it's probably got something to do with the fact that they fired a bunch of them when they refused to be vaccinated during the pandemic and stood up for their bodily autonomy. But the roosters are coming home to roost, that's a thing. It's so Thursday night here on the Late Debate ladies, that the chickens are coming up to FoST. Well, you know, I would never have known it was a rugby league thing, So anyway, this would also I would whenever I read.
Speaker 7: These, I always think that if I was a Krim, i'd.
Speaker 3: Be reading this with great int to be like.
Speaker 5: So the fall.
Speaker 3: Since you're telling me the lines are thin, it's not.
Speaker 4: Just a Victorian issue.
Speaker 2: In South Australia, they've lost two hundred and twenty seven police in the last twelve months, while recruiting only two hundred and eighteen. So the problem is not just recruiting, but it's retention. And you can say, well, they lost two twenty seven, they recruited to eighteen, all's good, but don't forget these to eighteen that have been recruited. They're cadets, so they've got zero experience. They've got to be trained. It's all that expenditure, and then you can only gain experience by being in the job. So even if you're replacing them one for one, you're still worse all.
Speaker 6: And the dropout rate is huge from not just retiring after a full career, but after the ten fifteen year career on burnout.
Speaker 5: It's huge.
Speaker 6: And I actually misread that list to Victoria Police vaccines have searched, and I went, what what vacancies have searched?
Speaker 5: Not vaccines.
Speaker 2: Let's go to the front page of Tomorrow's Daily Telegraph.
Speaker 4: Mad Monday is the headline.
Speaker 2: Of course, that's a part on Mad Monday that the AFL teams are all doing at the moment end of season dress ups. But this of course refers to something a little more sinister. Fury at pro Palestine vigil to commemorate October seven. I don't know how pro Palestinians are commemorating October seven, since that was the day twelve hundred Jews were killed. A pro Palestine candlelit vigil planned for the anniversary of October seven will still go ahead on Monday, despite organizergreeing in court not to hold a march on that day. So there were two developments today being reported in tomorrow's paper. The first is that a pro Palestinian march will take place in Sydney on Sunday. Police were trying to stop it but then agreed with organizers that provided the march didn't go directly past the Great Synagogue, it would be permitted. Personally, I can't understand how they can permit a march that's been demonstrated to not prevent people from waving flags supporting Hezblaa, registered terrorist organization and holding pictures of a terrorist leader as if he's some sort of iconic figure. When it comes to Monday, which is October seven, the protesters wanted to have a march, but then they said no, no, we're not going to do a march, and everybody thought Okay, well, thank god common sense has finally come to the fore. But what they've decided is instead of doing a march, which they need a permit for, they're going to have a static visual which they don't require a permit for. So that will still take place on Monday, much to our authorities and our leaders.
Speaker 4: Shame Claire. You've got the mercury.
Speaker 6: The mercury down in Tasmania and the headliners still on the menu. I feel like I'm a little invested in this story, but it says salmon stockers and restauranteurs hold the line despite new protest tactics. Antisman activists have launched protest outside grocery stores, supermarkets and restaurants, provoking the ire of Tasmanian Hospitality Association CEO, who says the behavior will have a dentrial.
Speaker 5: Impact, detrimential impact on businesses.
Speaker 6: So these guys are protesting against salmon farming. I think it may affect other wildlife, other fishes, other.
Speaker 5: Fish, fishes, fish.
Speaker 6: I just want to know those fish tastier than salmon, you know, smoked salmon, sashimi, poach, give me my sage.
Speaker 7: Okay, do I really care? Do we really?
Speaker 5: I'm just yeah, I love my salmon.
Speaker 2: Think about this is they're protesting outside grocery stores, supermarkets and restaurants. I was at a restaurant in Melbourne on the Yarra and I'm having a steak or whatever as.
Speaker 7: Animal salmon steak.
Speaker 4: No, no, it was just.
Speaker 2: A regular beef and PETA the Animal rights organization. They were literally protesting right adjacent to where diners, including my good self, are trying to enjoy a guilt free piece of steak. And they're holding up, you know, pictures of cowc.
Speaker 5: It's been made like it's half gone, you're eating it. It's like what, It's a bit laid.
Speaker 2: On the food chain to be I didn't really care, but I felt for the restaurants. It's hard enough to make a dollar at the moment without animal rights activists standing outside your restaurant holding up pictures of animals looking sad as dinas survey the menu and think maybe I'm going to have just a salad.
Speaker 7: Good to the front page of the os Now.
Speaker 3: Origin pulls the plug on hydrogen project. Origin Energy is abandoning its ambitious plans to develop hydrogen, striking another blow to the Albanezy government's dreams for the energy source to help drive the transmission to net zero. The article goes on to see the corporate retreat follows the decision by billionaire Andrew Forrest to scale back his own green hydrogen targets earlier this year, in a major business back down that coincided with the loss of seven hundred jobs at his flagship company for Tesque terrible news for the alban Easy government.
Speaker 7: We already knew that your targets were bs and.
Speaker 3: No one was ever going to reach them, but now the people responsible for making them happen in real time are pulling the plugs simultaneously.
Speaker 7: I mean, this is kind of glorious.
Speaker 2: And headlines like this right as Peter Dutton is about to detail his nuclear policy will just be gold for the opposition because to see the government's renewable energy dreams fall to the ground just enables him to make his case fun or powerful.
Speaker 6: Sure, this is just evidence as well that the big companies and people like Twiggy, they're not in it.
Speaker 5: For environmental reasons. They're enough for profit.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry to burst that bubble, right, and so when the hypeer's going off it, I mean they're smart people they're not stupid, and when they don't.
Speaker 5: See the profit there, they start retruting. That's just what's.
Speaker 3: Happening, absolutely to the second splash on the front of the Oars vehicle emissions loop all for raw.
Speaker 7: Some of the.
Speaker 3: Highest polluting cars in Australia are set to be excluded from Labour's vehicle emissions regime over the next few years, with car retailers blaming the loophole on Anthony Albanesi's rush, rushing the process to set up a scheme to slash the carbon footprint of the transport sector.
Speaker 7: So slashing the carbon.
Speaker 3: Footprint, but not for the people who did your betting and got e These got it.
Speaker 2: And the reason for this is the government are trying to rush through all this legislation and whether it relates to vehicle emissions, whether it relates to the problems we're seeing with We talked the other night about wind turbines in Victoria and they're really worried that none of them are fire safe and that we're coming to bush fire season and the Victorian government, oh, we didn't think about that. And we could name dozens of examples where the gun has rushed these things through without thinking about potential consequences.
Speaker 4: Here's just another example.
Speaker 2: It's just one hit after another when it comes to the government's renewable dreams. We're going to go to a break when we come back. Traffic signs featuring the image of Donald Trump are appearing all around New York City, and no one knows why.
Speaker 4: We'll show you that in just a second.
Speaker 2: Okay, So images of Donald Trump have begun mysteriously appearing right throughout New York City as traffic signs have Look at this vision. As you drive through different neighborhoods in New York, Trump signs are appearing.
Speaker 4: All over the road.
Speaker 2: Now my only take on this, Claire and Liz is that it must indicate it's a safe area. I haven't seen any Camala signs yet, but I imagine that would be like warning word, sellar ahead or something like that. It reminds me of the bat signal in Gotham City.
Speaker 3: I love it because this is like a not necessarily dead red area. So exactly, this guy either has a death where she's probably done it under the cover of night, much like Batman would, but so far no graffiti. So two thumbs up from us before we leave you tonight, the Libs are telling us that they are going to oppose this Combating Misinformation Disinformation Bill that the Labor government has put up, although we all remember that it's in fact the brainchild of a liberal government and if they want us to believe them, they might want.
Speaker 7: To check their Liberal Party.
Speaker 3: Website, which still reads quote, a re elected coalition government will introduce new laws to provide the AKMA with stronger enforcement and information gathering powers to hold big tech companies to account for harmful misinformation and disinformation online.
Speaker 7: Wow, that sounds pretty much like the bill, you guys, I don't know.
Speaker 3: They've got an entire page on their website dedicated to how they're going to combat fake news. So I'm finding it very hard to believe them at this point.
Speaker 2: Well, since it was the former Communications Minister under a Liberal government, Scott Morrison's Paul Fletcher who came up with the idea brainchild, I think they still have a soft spot for a little bit of censorship.
Speaker 4: That's it from us.
Speaker 2: We're going to go now, but stick around. Coming up is the Riata peneheshow